Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on antineoplastic agents in Detroit, Michigan, United States
Locale: Detroit, Michigan, United States
Topic: antineoplastic agents
Publications147 found, 100 shown here
- Rachel J, Kaltenbach J, Janisse J. Increases in spontaneous neural activity in the hamster dorsal cochlear nucleus following cisplatin treatment: a possible basis for cisplatin-induced tinnitus. Hear Res. 2002;164:206-14 pubmed..These results suggest that cisplatin treatment is an effective inducer of hyperactivity in the DCN. This hyperactivity may be an important neural correlate of cisplatin-induced tinnitus. ..
- Guo M, Roman R, Falck J, Edwards P, Scicli A. Human U251 glioma cell proliferation is suppressed by HET0016 [N-hydroxy-N'-(4-butyl-2-methylphenyl)formamidine], a selective inhibitor of CYP4A. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2005;315:526-33 pubmed..We concluded that HET0016 may be the prototype of novel compounds that suppress human glioma cell proliferation. ..
- Tageja N, Padheye S, Dandawate P, al Katib A, Mohammad R. New targets for the treatment of follicular lymphoma. J Hematol Oncol. 2009;2:50 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the growing body of knowledge regarding novel therapeutic targets, enabling the concept of individualized targeted therapy for the treatment of FL...
- Sarkar F, Li Y, Wang Z, Padhye S. Lesson learned from nature for the development of novel anti-cancer agents: implication of isoflavone, curcumin, and their synthetic analogs. Curr Pharm Des. 2010;16:1801-12 pubmed
- Chen D, Dou Q. The ubiquitin-proteasome system as a prospective molecular target for cancer treatment and prevention. Curr Protein Pept Sci. 2010;11:459-70 pubmed
- Kona F, Buac D, M Burger A. Disulfiram, and disulfiram derivatives as novel potential anticancer drugs targeting the ubiquitin-proteasome system in both preclinical and clinical studies. Curr Cancer Drug Targets. 2011;11:338-46 pubmed..Here, we review the preclinical and clinical studies exploring disulfiram as an anticancer agent as well as research programs that focus on the development of disulfiram derivatives as inhibitors of the ubiquitin-proteasome system...
- Mohammad R, Muqbil I, Lowe L, Yedjou C, Hsu H, Lin L, et al. Broad targeting of resistance to apoptosis in cancer. Semin Cancer Biol. 2015;35 Suppl:S78-S103 pubmed publisher..This review provides a roadmap for the design of successful anti-cancer strategies that overcome resistance to apoptosis for better therapeutic outcome in patients with cancer. ..
- Heath E, Hillman D, Vaishampayan U, Sheng S, Sarkar F, Harper F, et al. A phase II trial of 17-allylamino-17-demethoxygeldanamycin in patients with hormone-refractory metastatic prostate cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:7940-6 pubmed publisher..Further evaluation of 17-AAG at a dose of 300 mg/m2 i.v. weekly as a single agent in patients with metastatic, hormone-refractory prostate cancer who received at least one prior systemic therapy is not warranted. ..
- Chen D, Milacic V, Frezza M, Dou Q. Metal complexes, their cellular targets and potential for cancer therapy. Curr Pharm Des. 2009;15:777-91 pubmed..This review provides a comprehensive overview of various non platinum metal complexes and metal-chelating compounds and discusses their potential molecular targets in tumor cells and their applications in cancer therapy. ..
- Chopra T, Alangaden G, Chandrasekar P. Clostridium difficile infection in cancer patients and hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2010;8:1113-9 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this article is to describe the epidemiology, pathogenesis and management of CDI in patients receiving cancer chemotherapeutic agents, and in hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients. ..
- Heath E, Blumenschein G, Cohen R, LoRusso P, Loconte N, Kim S, et al. Sunitinib in combination with paclitaxel plus carboplatin in patients with advanced solid tumors: phase I study results. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2011;68:703-12 pubmed publisher..Myelosuppression resulting in prolonged dose delays and frequent interruptions was observed, suggesting that this treatment combination is not feasible in the general cancer population. ..
- Separovic D, Joseph N, Breen P, Bielawski J, Pierce J, Buren E, et al. Combining anticancer agents photodynamic therapy and LCL85 leads to distinct changes in the sphingolipid profile, autophagy, caspase-3 activation in the absence of cell death, and long-term sensitization. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;409:372-7 pubmed publisher..Long-term exposure to PDT/LCL85 enhanced overall cell killing, supporting translational potential of PDT/LCL85. ..
- Thakur M, Heilbrun L, Sheng S, Stein M, Liu G, Antonarakis E, et al. A phase II trial of ganetespib, a heat shock protein 90 Hsp90) inhibitor, in patients with docetaxel-pretreated metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC)-a prostate cancer clinical trials consortium (PCCTC) study. Invest New Drugs. 2016;34:112-8 pubmed publisher..The true 6-month PFS rate was, at most, 0.20. Possible reasons for this include selection of a heavily pretreated patient population and lack of agent potency in patients with mCRPC. ..
- Tolcher A, Papadopoulos K, Patnaik A, Wilson K, Thayer S, Zanghi J, et al. A phase I, first in human study of FP-1039 (GSK3052230), a novel FGF ligand trap, in patients with advanced solid tumors. Ann Oncol. 2016;27:526-32 pubmed publisher..Further studies of FP-1039 in patients selected for FGF pathway dysregulation, who are most likely to benefit, are now underway. ..
- Farhana L, Dawson M, Rishi A, Zhang Y, Van Buren E, Trivedi C, et al. Cyclin B and E2F-1 expression in prostate carcinoma cells treated with the novel retinoid CD437 are regulated by the ubiquitin-mediated pathway. Cancer Res. 2002;62:3842-9 pubmed..Thus, CD437 modulates the expression of E2F-1 and cyclin B through the simultaneous stimulation and inhibition of the cyclin B and E2F-1 E3 ligases, respectively. ..
- Schiffer C. Advances in MDS. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol. 2007;5:450-2 pubmed
- Kong D, Heath E, Chen W, Cher M, Powell I, HEILBRUN L, et al. Loss of let-7 up-regulates EZH2 in prostate cancer consistent with the acquisition of cancer stem cell signatures that are attenuated by BR-DIM. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33729 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the loss of let-7 mediated increased expression of EZH2 contributes to PCa aggressiveness, which could be attenuated by BR-DIM treatment, and thus BR-DIM is likely to have clinical impact. ..
- Bertin M, Demirkiran O, Navarro G, Moss N, Lee J, Goldgof G, et al. Kalkipyrone B, a marine cyanobacterial Î³-pyrone possessing cytotoxic and anti-fungal activities. Phytochemistry. 2016;122:113-118 pubmed publisher..Both kalkipyrone A and B showed moderate toxicity to Saccharomyces cerevisiae ABC16-Monster strain (IC50=14.6 and 13.4Î¼M, respectively), whereas yoshinone A was of low toxicity to this yeast strain (IC50=63.8Î¼M). ..
- Liu Y, Gao X, Deeb D, Zhang Y, Shaw J, Gautam S. Anticancer agent pristimerin inhibits IL-2 induced activation of T lymphocytes. J Exp Ther Oncol. 2016;11:181-188 pubmed..These data demonstrated that PM inhibits IL-2 induced T cell activation and generation of LAK cells by disrupting multiple cell signaling pathways induced by IL-2. ..
- Valeriote F, Corbett T, Grieco P, Moher E, Collins J, Fleck T. Anticancer activity of glaucarubinone analogues. Oncol Res. 1998;10:201-8 pubmed
- Rishi A, Zhang L, Boyanapalli M, Wali A, Mohammad R, Yu Y, et al. Identification and characterization of a cell cycle and apoptosis regulatory protein-1 as a novel mediator of apoptosis signaling by retinoid CD437. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:33422-35 pubmed..Identification of CARP-1 as a key mediator of signaling by CD437 or adriamycin allows for delineation of pathways that, in turn, may prove beneficial for design and targeting of novel antitumor agents. ..
- Kandouz M, Nie D, Pidgeon G, Krishnamoorthy S, Maddipati K, Honn K. Platelet-type 12-lipoxygenase activates NF-kappaB in prostate cancer cells. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2003;71:189-204 pubmed
- Dilworth J, Wojtkowiak J, Mathieu P, Tainsky M, Reiners J, Mattingly R, et al. Suppression of proliferation of two independent NF1 malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor cell lines by the pan-ErbB inhibitor CI-1033. Cancer Biol Ther. 2008;7:1938-46 pubmed..Consequently, targeting both EGFR and ErbB2 may prove an effective strategy for suppressing NF1 MPNST tumor growth in vivo. ..
- Separovic D, Bielawski J, Pierce J, Merchant S, Tarca A, Ogretmen B, et al. Increased tumour dihydroceramide production after Photofrin-PDT alone and improved tumour response after the combination with the ceramide analogue LCL29. Evidence from mouse squamous cell carcinomas. Br J Cancer. 2009;100:626-32 pubmed publisher
- Hillman G, Singh Gupta V, Zhang H, Al Bashir A, Katkuri Y, Li M, et al. Dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging of vascular changes induced by sunitinib in papillary renal cell carcinoma xenograft tumors. Neoplasia. 2009;11:910-20 pubmed..These studies emphasize the clinical potential of DCE-MRI in selecting the dose and schedule of antiangiogenic compounds. ..
- Ahmad A, Sakr W, Rahman K. Anticancer properties of indole compounds: mechanism of apoptosis induction and role in chemotherapy. Curr Drug Targets. 2010;11:652-66 pubmed
- Desmoulin S, Wang Y, Wu J, Stout M, Hou Z, Fulterer A, et al. Targeting the proton-coupled folate transporter for selective delivery of 6-substituted pyrrolo[2,3-d]pyrimidine antifolate inhibitors of de novo purine biosynthesis in the chemotherapy of solid tumors. Mol Pharmacol. 2010;78:577-87 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, they establish the feasibility of selective chemotherapy drug delivery via PCFT over RFC, a process that takes advantage of a unique biological feature of solid tumors. ..
- LoRusso P, Venkatakrishnan K, Ramanathan R, Sarantopoulos J, Mulkerin D, Shibata S, et al. Pharmacokinetics and safety of bortezomib in patients with advanced malignancies and varying degrees of liver dysfunction: phase I NCI Organ Dysfunction Working Group Study NCI-6432. Clin Cancer Res. 2012;18:2954-63 pubmed publisher..Patients with mild hepatic impairment do not require a starting dose adjustment of bortezomib. Patients with moderate or severe hepatic impairment should be started at a reduced dose of 0.7 mg/m(2). ..
- Desmoulin S, Wang L, Polin L, White K, Kushner J, Stout M, et al. Functional loss of the reduced folate carrier enhances the antitumor activities of novel antifolates with selective uptake by the proton-coupled folate transporter. Mol Pharmacol. 2012;82:591-600 pubmed..Thus, solid tumor-targeted antifolates with PCFT-selective cellular uptake should have enhanced activities toward tumors lacking RFC function, reflecting contraction of THF cofactor pools. ..
- Farhan M, Khan H, Oves M, Al Harrasi A, Rehmani N, Arif H, et al. Cancer Therapy by Catechins Involves Redox Cycling of Copper Ions and Generation of Reactive Oxygen species. Toxins (Basel). 2016;8:37 pubmed publisher..Such a copper dependent prooxidant cytotoxic mechanism better explains the anticancer activity and preferential cytotoxicity of dietary phytochemicals against cancer cells. ..
- Li T, LoRusso P, Maitland M, Ou S, Bahceci E, Ball H, et al. First-in-human, open-label dose-escalation and dose-expansion study of the safety, pharmacokinetics, and antitumor effects of an oral ALK inhibitor ASP3026 in patients with advanced solid tumors. J Hematol Oncol. 2016;9:23 pubmed publisher..ASP3026 was well tolerated and had therapeutic activity in patients with crizotinib-resistant ALK-positive advanced tumors. ClinTrials.gov: NCT01284192. ..
- Lew Y, Brown S, Griffin R, Song C, Kim J. Arsenic trioxide causes selective necrosis in solid murine tumors by vascular shutdown. Cancer Res. 1999;59:6033-7 pubmed..Normal skin, muscle, and kidney were relatively unaffected by arsenic trioxide. These results suggest that the drug may be investigated as an adjunct to the standard cancer therapeutic modalities. ..
- Biliran H, Wang Y, Banerjee S, Xu H, Heng H, Thakur A, et al. Overexpression of cyclin D1 promotes tumor cell growth and confers resistance to cisplatin-mediated apoptosis in an elastase-myc transgene-expressing pancreatic tumor cell line. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;11:6075-86 pubmed..These results suggest that overexpression of cyclin D1 can contribute to chemoresistance of pancreatic cancer cells because of the dual roles of cyclin D1 in promoting cell proliferation and in inhibiting drug-induced apoptosis. ..
- Piechocki M, Yoo G, Dibbley S, Amjad E, Lonardo F. Iressa induces cytostasis and augments Fas-mediated apoptosis in acinic cell adenocarcinoma overexpressing HER2/neu. Int J Cancer. 2006;119:441-54 pubmed..These data showing that Iressa induces cytostasis and primes the extrinsic (Fas) and intrinsic (mitochondrial and endoplasmic reticulum) apoptotic pathways should lead to the development of novel therapeutic targets and strategies...
- Sharma S, Wu Y, Steinbergs N, Crowley M, Hanson A, Casero R, et al. (Bis)urea and (bis)thiourea inhibitors of lysine-specific demethylase 1 as epigenetic modulators. J Med Chem. 2010;53:5197-212 pubmed publisher..These compounds represent an important new series of epigenetic modulators with the potential for use as antitumor agents. ..
- Gao X, Deeb D, Liu P, Liu Y, Arbab Ali S, Dulchavsky S, et al. Role of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in CDDO-Me-mediated growth inhibition and apoptosis in colorectal cancer cells. J Exp Ther Oncol. 2011;9:119-27 pubmed..Together these studies provided evidence that CDDO-Me is a potent anticancer agent, which imparts growth inhibition and apoptosis in colorectal cancer cells through the generation of free radicals. ..
- LoRusso P, Piha Paul S, Mita M, Colevas A, Malhi V, Colburn D, et al. Co-administration of vismodegib with rosiglitazone or combined oral contraceptive in patients with locally advanced or metastatic solid tumors: a pharmacokinetic assessment of drug-drug interaction potential. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2013;71:193-202 pubmed publisher..Overall, there appears to be a low potential for DDIs when vismodegib is co-administered with other medications. ..
- Lash L, Shivnani A, Mai J, Chinnaiyan P, Krause R, Elfarra A. Renal cellular transport, metabolism, and cytotoxicity of S-(6-purinyl)glutathione, a prodrug of 6-mercaptopurine, and analogues. Biochem Pharmacol. 1997;54:1341-9 pubmed..Administration of 6-PG may be an effective means of treating renal tumors or suppressing renal transplant rejection. ..
- Liu C, Sims McCallum R, Schiffer C. A single dose of rasburicase is sufficient for the treatment of hyperuricemia in patients receiving chemotherapy. Leuk Res. 2005;29:463-5 pubmed..The levels remained below 4 mg/dL throughout the administration of chemotherapy for up to 96 h. Utilizing the guidelines resulted in a significant cost savings of 100,000 US dollars. ..
- Piechocki M, Yoo G, Dibbley S, Lonardo F. Breast cancer expressing the activated HER2/neu is sensitive to gefitinib in vitro and in vivo and acquires resistance through a novel point mutation in the HER2/neu. Cancer Res. 2007;67:6825-43 pubmed..This model will be useful in understanding the differences between intrinsic drug sensitivity and acquired resistance in the context of therapeutic strategies that target oncogene addicted diseases. ..
- Arnold A, Aboukameel A, Chen J, Yang D, Wang S, al Katib A, et al. Preclinical studies of Apogossypolone: a new nonpeptidic pan small-molecule inhibitor of Bcl-2, Bcl-XL and Mcl-1 proteins in Follicular Small Cleaved Cell Lymphoma model. Mol Cancer. 2008;7:20 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that ApoG2 can be an effective therapeutic agent against FL...
- Sarveswaran S, Liroff J, Zhou Z, Nikitin A, Ghosh J. Selenite triggers rapid transcriptional activation of p53, and p53-mediated apoptosis in prostate cancer cells: Implication for the treatment of early-stage prostate cancer. Int J Oncol. 2010;36:1419-28 pubmed
- Azmi A, Beck F, Sarkar F, Mohammad R. Network perspectives on HDM2 inhibitor chemotherapy combinations. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17:640-52 pubmed..We anticipate that in the near future such network-centric approaches will benefit clinical development of HDM2 inhibitors for genetically predefined subsets of cancer patients and this will be a step towards personalized medicine. ..
- Sivanandam A, Murthy S, Chinnakannu K, Bai V, Kim S, Barrack E, et al. Calmodulin protects androgen receptor from calpain-mediated breakdown in prostate cancer cells. J Cell Physiol. 2011;226:1889-96 pubmed publisher..These observations raise an intriguing possibility that anti-CaM drugs in combination with Cpn-activating agents may offer a curative strategy for the treatment of prostate cancer, which relies on AR for growth and survival. ..
- Lu X, Xiao L, Wang L, Ruden D. Hsp90 inhibitors and drug resistance in cancer: the potential benefits of combination therapies of Hsp90 inhibitors and other anti-cancer drugs. Biochem Pharmacol. 2012;83:995-1004 pubmed publisher..We also discuss recent results from yeast focused on the genetics of drug resistance when Hsp90 is inhibited and the implications that this might have in understanding the effects of genetic variation in treating cancer in humans. ..
- Chen D, Pamu S, Cui Q, Chan T, Dou Q. Novel epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) analogs activate AMP-activated protein kinase pathway and target cancer stem cells. Bioorg Med Chem. 2012;20:3031-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that novel potent and specific AMPK activators can be discovered from natural and synthetic sources that have potential to be used for anti-cancer therapy in the clinic. ..
- Thakur A, Lum L, Schalk D, Azmi A, Banerjee S, Sarkar F, et al. Pan-Bcl-2 inhibitor AT-101 enhances tumor cell killing by EGFR targeted T cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47520 pubmed publisher..Our results verify enhanced cytotoxicity after a novel chemotherapy conditioning strategy against PC that warrants further in vivo and clinical investigations. ..
- Valeriote F, Tenney K, Media J, Pietraszkiewicz H, Edelstein M, Johnson T, et al. Discovery and development of anticancer agents from marine sponges: perspectives based on a chemistry-experimental therapeutics collaborative program. J Exp Ther Oncol. 2012;10:119-34 pubmed..These compounds or analogs thereof continue to have therapeutic potential. ..
- Moskowitz C, Nademanee A, Masszi T, Agura E, Holowiecki J, Abidi M, et al. Brentuximab vedotin as consolidation therapy after autologous stem-cell transplantation in patients with Hodgkin's lymphoma at risk of relapse or progression (AETHERA): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet. 2015;385:1853-62 pubmed publisher..This treatment provides an important therapeutic option for patients undergoing autologous stem-cell transplantation. Seattle Genetics and Takeda Pharmaceuticals International. ..
- Abou Alfa G, Lewis L, LoRusso P, Maitland M, Chandra P, Cheeti S, et al. Pharmacokinetics and safety of vismodegib in patients with advanced solid malignancies and hepatic impairment. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2017;80:29-36 pubmed publisher..The study was influenced by the high number of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma with advanced cirrhosis; rendering it difficult to draw any causal relationships between vismodegib exposure and the serious adverse events. ..
- Kraniak J, Chalasani A, Wallace M, Mattingly R. Development of 3D culture models of plexiform neurofibroma and initial application for phenotypic characterization and drug screening. Exp Neurol. 2018;299:289-298 pubmed publisher..The proteolytic capacity of the PN cells in the model may be a clinically significant property that can be used for testing the ability of drugs to inhibit their invasive phenotype. ..
- Kekulandara D, Nagi S, Seo H, Chow C, Ahn Y. Redox-Inactive Peptide Disrupting Trx1-Ask1 Interaction for Selective Activation of Stress Signaling. Biochemistry. 2018;57:772-780 pubmed publisher..Overall, 2GTP1 will serve as a useful probe for investigating protein interactions of Trx1. ..
- Ratanatharathorn V, Logan B, Wang D, Horowitz M, Uberti J, Ringden O, et al. Prior rituximab correlates with less acute graft-versus-host disease and better survival in B-cell lymphoma patients who received allogeneic peripheral blood stem cell transplantation. Br J Haematol. 2009;145:816-24 pubmed publisher..50-0.92; P = 0.01) and overall survival (OS) (RR = 0.63; 95% CI, 0.46-0.86; P = 0.004) were significantly better in the RTX cohort. Prior RTX therapy correlated with less acute GVHD, similar chronic GVHD, less TRM, better PFS and OS. ..
- Deng Y, Zhou X, Kugel Desmoulin S, Wu J, Cherian C, Hou Z, et al. Synthesis and biological activity of a novel series of 6-substituted thieno[2,3-d]pyrimidine antifolate inhibitors of purine biosynthesis with selectivity for high affinity folate receptors over the reduced folate carrier and proton-coupled folate tr. J Med Chem. 2009;52:2940-51 pubmed publisher
- Davenport A, Frezza M, Shen M, Ge Y, Huo C, Chan T, et al. Celastrol and an EGCG pro-drug exhibit potent chemosensitizing activity in human leukemia cells. Int J Mol Med. 2010;25:465-70 pubmed..Taken together, our findings present a compelling rationale for the development of combination strategies using natural products in the treatment of hematological malignancies. ..
- Singh Gupta V, Zhang H, Yunker C, Ahmad Z, Zwier D, Sarkar F, et al. Daidzein effect on hormone refractory prostate cancer in vitro and in vivo compared to genistein and soy extract: potentiation of radiotherapy. Pharm Res. 2010;27:1115-27 pubmed publisher..Daidzein inhibited cell growth and synergized with radiation, affecting APE1/Ref-1, NF-kappaB and HIF-1alpha, but at lower levels than genistein and soy, in AR+ and AR- PCa cells, suggesting it is an AR-independent mechanism. ..
- Thamilselvan V, Menon M, Thamilselvan S. Anticancer efficacy of deguelin in human prostate cancer cells targeting glycogen synthase kinase-3 ?/?-catenin pathway. Int J Cancer. 2011;129:2916-27 pubmed publisher..Taken together our study indicates that deguelin may have translational potential as therapeutic agent for advanced or metastatic prostate cancer. ..
- Kaltenbach J, Rachel J, Mathog T, Zhang J, Falzarano P, Lewandowski M. Cisplatin-induced hyperactivity in the dorsal cochlear nucleus and its relation to outer hair cell loss: relevance to tinnitus. J Neurophysiol. 2002;88:699-714 pubmed..These results support the view that loss of OHC function may be a trigger of tinnitus-related hyperactivity in the DCN and suggest that this hyperactivity may be somewhat offset by damage to IHCs...
- Zonder J, Pemberton P, Brandt H, Mohamed A, Schiffer C. The effect of dose increase of imatinib mesylate in patients with chronic or accelerated phase chronic myelogenous leukemia with inadequate hematologic or cytogenetic response to initial treatment. Clin Cancer Res. 2003;9:2092-7 pubmed
- Gadgeel S, Harlan L, Zeruto C, Osswald M, Schwartz A. Patterns of care in a population-based sample of soft tissue sarcoma patients in the United States. Cancer. 2009;115:2744-54 pubmed publisher..In addition to certain tumor characteristics, age of the patient was significantly associated with therapy and patient outcome. ..
- Frezza M, Hindo S, Chen D, Davenport A, Schmitt S, Tomco D, et al. Novel metals and metal complexes as platforms for cancer therapy. Curr Pharm Des. 2010;16:1813-25 pubmed..Finally, based on the interface between molecular biology and bioinorganic chemistry the design of coordination complexes for cancer treatment is reviewed and design strategies and mechanisms of action are discussed. ..
- Tageja N, Nagi J. Bendamustine: something old, something new. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2010;66:413-23 pubmed publisher..Results of ongoing trials will help to further elucidate the optimal role of bendamustine in indolent NHL. ..
- Nautiyal J, Kanwar S, Majumdar A. EGFR(s) in aging and carcinogenesis of the gastrointestinal tract. Curr Protein Pept Sci. 2010;11:436-50 pubmed..The current review also describes the effectiveness of ErbB inhibitors as well as combination therapies. Additionally, the involvement of GI stem cells in the development of the age-related rise in GI cancers is emphasized. ..
- Cote M, Haddad R, Edwards D, Atikukke G, Gadgeel S, Soubani A, et al. Frequency and type of epidermal growth factor receptor mutations in African Americans with non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2011;6:627-30 pubmed publisher..Thus, clinicians should not use race as a clinical decision parameter for the use of EGFR-tyrosine kinase inhibitors. ..
- Gartner E, Silverman P, Simon M, Flaherty L, Abrams J, Ivy P, et al. A phase II study of 17-allylamino-17-demethoxygeldanamycin in metastatic or locally advanced, unresectable breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012;131:933-7 pubmed publisher..Five patients developed grade 3/4 toxicities, which were primarily hepatic and pulmonary. Based on these results, we do not recommend further study of 17-AAG at this dosing schedule or in unselected breast cancer patients. ..
- Nautiyal J, Du J, Yu Y, Kanwar S, Levi E, Majumdar A. EGFR regulation of colon cancer stem-like cells during aging and in response to the colonic carcinogen dimethylhydrazine. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2012;302:G655-63 pubmed publisher..EGFR inhibition attenuates these changes, indicating a role for EGFR in age- and mutagen-associated changes in CSLCs. ..
- Shen M, Zhang Z, Ratnam M, Dou Q. The interplay of AMP-activated protein kinase and androgen receptor in prostate cancer cells. J Cell Physiol. 2014;229:688-95 pubmed publisher..Our findings thus reveal a novel AMPK-AR regulatory loop in prostate cancer cells and should have a potential clinical significance. ..
- Lipshultz S, Cochran T, Franco V, Miller T. Treatment-related cardiotoxicity in survivors of childhood cancer. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2013;10:697-710 pubmed publisher..Optimal, evidence-based monitoring strategies and multiagent preventative treatments still need to be identified. ..
- Sameni M, Tovar E, Essenburg C, Chalasani A, Linklater E, Borgman A, et al. Cabozantinib (XL184) Inhibits Growth and Invasion of Preclinical TNBC Models. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:923-34 pubmed publisher..Using preclinical TNBC models that recapitulate the breast tumor microenvironment, we demonstrate that cabozantinib inhibition is an effective therapeutic strategy in several TNBC subtypes. ..
- Ullah M, Ahmad A, Bhat S, Khan H, Zubair H, Sarkar F, et al. Simulating hypoxia-induced acidic environment in cancer cells facilitates mobilization and redox-cycling of genomic copper by daidzein leading to pro-oxidant cell death: implications for the sensitization of resistant hypoxic cancer cells to therapeu. Biometals. 2016;29:299-310 pubmed publisher..The evidence presented highlights the potential of dietary agents as adjuvants to standard therapeutic regimens. ..
- Gulley J, Rajan A, Spigel D, Iannotti N, Chandler J, Wong D, et al. Avelumab for patients with previously treated metastatic or recurrent non-small-cell lung cancer (JAVELIN Solid Tumor): dose-expansion cohort of a multicentre, open-label, phase 1b trial. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:599-610 pubmed publisher..Avelumab showed an acceptable safety profile and antitumour activity in patients with progressive or treatment-resistant NSCLC, providing a rationale for further studies of avelumab in this disease setting. Merck KGaA and Pfizer. ..
- Azmi A, Philip P, Aboukameel A, Wang Z, Banerjee S, Zafar S, et al. Reactivation of p53 by novel MDM2 inhibitors: implications for pancreatic cancer therapy. Curr Cancer Drug Targets. 2010;10:319-31 pubmed..No tumor inhibition was found in mut-p53 BxPC-3 xenografts. In light of our results, the inhibitors of MDM2 warrant clinical investigation as new agents for PC treatment. ..
- Shaw A, Gandhi L, Gadgeel S, Riely G, Cetnar J, West H, et al. Alectinib in ALK-positive, crizotinib-resistant, non-small-cell lung cancer: a single-group, multicentre, phase 2 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2016;17:234-242 pubmed publisher..Therefore, alectinib could be a suitable treatment for patients with ALK-positive disease who have progressed on crizotinib. F Hoffmann-La Roche. ..
- Moore K, Borghaei H, O Malley D, Jeong W, Seward S, Bauer T, et al. Phase 1 dose-escalation study of mirvetuximab soravtansine (IMGN853), a folate receptor ?-targeting antibody-drug conjugate, in patients with solid tumors. Cancer. 2017;123:3080-3087 pubmed publisher..Mirvetuximab soravtansine (IMGN853) is an antibody-drug conjugate that selectively targets folate receptor ? (FR?). In this phase 1 dose-escalation study, the authors investigated IMGN853 in patients with FR?-positive solid tumors...
- Xu H, Yu Y, Marciniak D, Rishi A, Sarkar F, Kucuk O, et al. Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)-related protein inhibits multiple members of the EGFR family in colon and breast cancer cells. Mol Cancer Ther. 2005;4:435-42 pubmed..Our results suggest that ERRP is an effective pan-erbB inhibitor and, thus, may be a potential therapeutic agent for a wide variety of epithelial cancers expressing different levels and subclasses of EGFRs. ..
- Wang Z, Xu J, Zhou J, Liu Y, Wu G. Mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphatase-1 is required for cisplatin resistance. Cancer Res. 2006;66:8870-7 pubmed..Collectively, our results establish a critical role of JNK in cisplatin-induced apoptosis and suggest that MKP-1 is required for cisplatin resistance. ..
- KROP I, Kim S, Gonzalez Martin A, LoRusso P, Ferrero J, Smitt M, et al. Trastuzumab emtansine versus treatment of physician's choice for pretreated HER2-positive advanced breast cancer (TH3RESA): a randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2014;15:689-99 pubmed publisher..We aimed to compare trastuzumab emtansine, an antibody-drug conjugate comprising the cytotoxic agent DM1 linked to trastuzumab, with treatment of physician's choice in this population of patients...
- Artac M, Korkmaz L, El Rayes B, Philip P. An update on the multimodality of localized rectal cancer. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2016;108:23-32 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on the optimization of multi-modality therapies in patients with localized RC. ..
- Hillman G, Wang Y, Che M, Raffoul J, Yudelev M, Kucuk O, et al. Progression of renal cell carcinoma is inhibited by genistein and radiation in an orthotopic model. BMC Cancer. 2007;7:4 pubmed
- Reeves D, Liu C. Treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2009;64:11-25 pubmed publisher..Future research will better define the sequencing of therapies, as well as, explore the activity of novel combination regimens. ..
- Wang Y, Rishi A, Wu W, Polin L, Sharma S, Levi E, et al. Curcumin suppresses growth of mesothelioma cells in vitro and in vivo, in part, by stimulating apoptosis. Mol Cell Biochem. 2011;357:83-94 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide a proof-of-principle rationale for further in-depth analysis of MPM growth suppression mechanisms and their future exploitation in effective management of resistant MPM. ..
- Fribley A, Cruz P, Miller J, Callaghan M, Cai P, Narula N, et al. Complementary cell-based high-throughput screens identify novel modulators of the unfolded protein response. J Biomol Screen. 2011;16:825-35 pubmed publisher..These data support the use of this complementary HTS strategy to identify novel modulators of UPR signaling and tumor cell death. ..
- Ahmad A, Biersack B, Li Y, Kong D, Bao B, Schobert R, et al. Deregulation of PI3K/Akt/mTOR signaling pathways by isoflavones and its implication in cancer treatment. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2013;13:1014-24 pubmed..In this review article, we discuss our current understanding of the regulation of PI3K/Akt/mTOR signaling pathways by isoflavones, which could be responsible for their observed in vitro and in vivo activity against human cancers. ..