Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on treatment outcome in Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Locale: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Topic: treatment outcome
Publications444 found, 100 shown here
- McMullan C, Bakris G, Phillips R, Forman J. Association of BP variability with mortality among African Americans with CKD. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013;8:731-8 pubmed publisher..SBV was associated with both the cardiovascular renal composite endpoints in unadjusted but not adjusted analyses. In African Americans with CKD, SBV is strongly and independently associated with overall and cardiovascular mortality. ..
- Bowers A, Keeney K, Peli E. Randomized crossover clinical trial of real and sham peripheral prism glasses for hemianopia. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2014;132:214-22 pubmed publisher..Peripheral prism glasses provide a simple and inexpensive mobility rehabilitation intervention for hemianopia. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00494676. ..
- Ky B, Putt M, Sawaya H, French B, Januzzi J, Sebag I, et al. Early increases in multiple biomarkers predict subsequent cardiotoxicity in patients with breast cancer treated with doxorubicin, taxanes, and trastuzumab. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:809-16 pubmed publisher..Independent validation of these findings is necessary before application to clinical practice. ..
- Castillo Saavedra L, Gebodh N, Bikson M, Diaz Cruz C, Brandao R, Coutinho L, et al. Clinically Effective Treatment of Fibromyalgia Pain With High-Definition Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation: Phase II Open-Label Dose Optimization. J Pain. 2016;17:14-26 pubmed publisher..gov under registry number NCT01842009. In this article, an optimized protocol for the treatment of fibromyalgia pain with targeted subthreshold brain stimulation using high-definition transcranial direct current stimulation is outlined. ..
- Nou E, Lu M, Looby S, Fitch K, Kim E, Lee H, et al. Serum oxidized low-density lipoprotein decreases in response to statin therapy and relates independently to reductions in coronary plaque in patients with HIV. AIDS. 2016;30:583-90 pubmed publisher..Reductions in oxLDL may be one mechanism through which statins exert beneficial effects on reducing atherosclerosis in HIV-infected individuals. ..
- Naunheim M, Remenschneider A, Scangas G, Bunting G, Deschler D. The Effect of Initial Tracheoesophageal Voice Prosthesis Size on Postoperative Complications and Voice Outcomes. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2016;125:478-84 pubmed publisher..Prosthesis diameter did not significantly affect complications or voicing. Both prostheses may be placed with safety and efficacy, allowing the practitioner to choose based on the potential individual benefits of either device. ..
- Gruberg L, Hellkamp A, Thomas L, de Lemos J, Scirica B, Hilliard A, et al. The Association of Previous Revascularization With In-Hospital Outcomes in Acute Myocardial Infarction Patients: Results From the National Cardiovascular Data Registry. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2015;8:1954-1962 pubmed publisher..No significant differences in reperfusion timeliness and in-hospital outcomes were seen in patients with a history of PCI compared with patients without previous revascularization. ..
- Wanner M, Sakamoto F, Avram M, Chan H, Alam M, Tannous Z, et al. Immediate skin responses to laser and light treatments: Therapeutic endpoints: How to obtain efficacy. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2016;74:821-33; quiz 834, 833 pubmed publisher..We will also review treatments without clinical endpoints. ..
- Isaacson K. Complications of hysteroscopy. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 1999;26:39-51 pubmed
- Rosen A, Karter A, Liu J, Selby J, Schneider E. Use of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers in high-risk clinical and ethnic groups with diabetes. J Gen Intern Med. 2004;19:669-75 pubmed..Policymakers might consider use of ACE/ARB for inclusion in diabetes performance measurement sets. ..
- Schonwald A. Update: attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder in the primary care office. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2005;17:265-74 pubmed..Tools and guidelines provided by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) provide a framework for consistent and competent AD/HD care supported by current evidence. ..
- Hertl M, Cosimi A. Liver transplantation for malignancy. Oncologist. 2005;10:269-81 pubmed..Survival in these selected patients can approach that for patients with cholestatic liver disease. ..
- Hampton B, Harris W. Primary cementless acetabular components in hips with severe developmental dysplasia or total dislocation. A concise follow-up, at an average of sixteen years, of a previous report. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006;88:1549-52 pubmed..We believe that this cup had excellent fixation at a long duration of follow-up of sixteen years in this highly selected set of patients with difficult hip problems...
- Kapoor A, Chuang W, Radhakrishnan N, Smith K, Berlowitz D, Segal J, et al. Cost effectiveness of venous thromboembolism pharmacological prophylaxis in total hip and knee replacement: a systematic review. Pharmacoeconomics. 2010;28:521-38 pubmed publisher..Small numbers for other comparisons and absence of trials reporting symptomatic endpoints prohibit comprehensive conclusions. ..
- Ridker P, MacFadyen J, Libby P, Glynn R. Relation of baseline high-sensitivity C-reactive protein level to cardiovascular outcomes with rosuvastatin in the Justification for Use of statins in Prevention: an Intervention Trial Evaluating Rosuvastatin (JUPITER). Am J Cardiol. 2010;106:204-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, as the absolute risk increased with increasing hs-CRP, the absolute risk reduction associated with rosuvastatin within JUPITER was also greatest among those with the greatest entry hs-CRP levels. ..
- Bourgeois F, Murthy S, Mandl K. Comparative effectiveness research: an empirical study of trials registered in ClinicalTrials.gov. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e28820 pubmed publisher..The low prevalence of CE research exists across CE studies with a broad array of interventions and characteristics. ..
- Danziger J, William J, Scott D, Lee J, Lehman L, Mark R, et al. Proton-pump inhibitor use is associated with low serum magnesium concentrations. Kidney Int. 2013;83:692-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, we verify case reports of the association between PPI use and hypomagnesemia in those concurrently taking diuretics. Hence, serum magnesium concentrations should be followed in susceptible individuals on chronic PPI therapy. ..
- Bredella M, Gerweck A, Lin E, Landa M, Torriani M, Schoenfeld D, et al. Effects of GH on body composition and cardiovascular risk markers in young men with abdominal obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98:3864-72 pubmed publisher..Although fasting glucose was unchanged, a slight increase in 2-hour glucose during an oral glucose tolerance test was noted. ..
- Doyle J, Doyle A, Wilson N, Habashi J, Bedja D, Whitworth R, et al. A deleterious gene-by-environment interaction imposed by calcium channel blockers in Marfan syndrome. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Furthermore, patients with Marfan syndrome and other forms of inherited thoracic aortic aneurysm taking CCBs display increased risk of aortic dissection and need for aortic surgery, compared to patients on other antihypertensive agents. ..
- Palfai T, Tahaney K, Winter M, Saitz R. Readiness-to-change as a moderator of a web-based brief intervention for marijuana among students identified by health center screening. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016;161:368-71 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that this eSBI may bolster change efforts among students who have begun taking steps toward changing their marijuana use. ..
- Hornicek F, Gebhardt M, Sorger J, Mankin H. Tumor reconstruction. Orthop Clin North Am. 1999;30:673-84 pubmed..The authors' treatment goals and algorithms are reviewed as well as the rationale behind them...
- Elias A, Ibrahim J, Richardson P, Avigan D, Joyce R, Reich E, et al. The impact of induction duration and the number of high-dose cycles on the long-term survival of women with metastatic breast cancer treated with high-dose chemotherapy with stem cell rescue: an analysis of sequential phase I/II trials from the Dana-. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2002;8:198-205 pubmed..Although selection biases may have in part contributed to this effect, a randomized comparison of standard therapy versus short induction/double transplantation is warranted. ..
- Shukla G, Chaudhry G, Orlov M, Hoffmeister P, Haffajee C. Potential proarrhythmic effect of biventricular pacing: fact or myth?. Heart Rhythm. 2005;2:951-6 pubmed..This observation is relevant to patients receiving a biventricular pacemaker without an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator backup. ..
- Kretschmar C, Kleinberg L, Greenberg M, Burger P, Holmes E, Wharam M. Pre-radiation chemotherapy with response-based radiation therapy in children with central nervous system germ cell tumors: a report from the Children's Oncology Group. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2007;48:285-91 pubmed..Eleven of 14 nongerminomatous patients were PF at median 58 months. Response (germinoma, 91%; nongerminomatous, 55%) and survival are encouraging after this regimen plus response-based RT. ..
- Parrett B, Winograd J, Lin S, Borud L, Taghinia A, Lee B. The posterior tibial artery perforator flap: an alternative to free-flap closure in the comorbid patient. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2009;25:105-9 pubmed publisher..There were no cases of malunion, nonunion, infection, wound breakdown, or partial flap loss. The PT perforator flap is a reliable choice for patients with open leg wounds and comorbidities precluding free-flap closure. ..
- Axelrad T, Steen B, Lowenberg D, Creevy W, Einhorn T. Heterotopic ossification after the use of commercially available recombinant human bone morphogenetic proteins in four patients. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008;90:1617-22 pubmed publisher..We found that while some patients were asymptomatic, heterotopic ossification which had occurred around a joint often required operative excision with good results...
- Burstein H, Chen Y, Parker L, Savoie J, Younger J, Kuter I, et al. VEGF as a marker for outcome among advanced breast cancer patients receiving anti-VEGF therapy with bevacizumab and vinorelbine chemotherapy. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:7871-7 pubmed publisher..Plasma VEGF warrants further evaluation as a prognostic marker for treatment outcome in advanced breast cancer patients receiving anti-VEGF therapy. ..
- Sands B, Jacobson E, Sylwestrowicz T, Younes Z, DRYDEN G, Fedorak R, et al. Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of the oral interleukin-12/23 inhibitor apilimod mesylate for treatment of active Crohn's disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2010;16:1209-18 pubmed publisher..8%) in the placebo group (n = 73) on day 29 (P = 0.71 for each comparison). No significant adverse safety signal was observed. Apilimod was well-tolerated but did not demonstrate efficacy over placebo in patients with active CD. ..
- Foody J, Brown W, Zieve F, Adewale A, Flaim D, Lowe R, et al. Safety and efficacy of ezetimibe/simvastatin combination versus atorvastatin alone in adults ?65 years of age with hypercholesterolemia and with or at moderately high/high risk for coronary heart disease (the VYTELD study). Am J Cardiol. 2010;106:1255-63 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, ezetimibe/simvastatin provided significantly greater improvements in key lipid parameters and higher attainment of LDL cholesterol targets than atorvastatin, with comparable tolerability. ..
- Goobie S, Meier P, Pereira L, McGowan F, Prescilla R, Scharp L, et al. Efficacy of tranexamic acid in pediatric craniosynostosis surgery: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Anesthesiology. 2011;114:862-71 pubmed publisher..TXA is effective in reducing perioperative blood loss and transfusion requirement in children undergoing craniosynostosis reconstruction surgery. ..
- Timsit M, Tullius S. Hypothermic kidney preservation: a remembrance of the past in the future?. Curr Opin Organ Transplant. 2011;16:162-8 pubmed publisher..The current increased utilization of reduced quality kidneys will require us to further improve our practice and knowledge into optimized organ preservation concepts and their impact on transplant outcome and immune responsiveness. ..
- Elmer J, Wilcox S, Raja A. Massive transfusion in traumatic shock. J Emerg Med. 2013;44:829-38 pubmed publisher..Additionally, such protocols should monitor for and correct hypothermia, hypofibrinogenemia, and electrolyte disturbances such as hypocalcemia and hyperkalemia. ..
- Lakkireddy D, Reddy Y, Di Biase L, Vallakati A, Mansour M, Santangeli P, et al. Feasibility and safety of uninterrupted rivaroxaban for periprocedural anticoagulation in patients undergoing radiofrequency ablation for atrial fibrillation: results from a multicenter prospective registry. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:982-8 pubmed publisher..Uninterrupted rivaroxaban therapy appears to be as safe and efficacious in preventing bleeding and thromboembolic events in patients undergoing AF ablation as uninterrupted warfarin therapy. ..
- Murphy T, Cutlip D, Regensteiner J, Mohler E, Cohen D, Reynolds M, et al. Supervised exercise, stent revascularization, or medical therapy for claudication due to aortoiliac peripheral artery disease: the CLEVER study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015;65:999-1009 pubmed publisher..SE and ST provided comparable durable improvement in functional status and in quality of life up to 18 months. The durability of claudication exercise interventions merits its consideration as a primary PAD claudication treatment. ..
- Weiss A, Parina R, Horgan S, Talamini M, Chang D, Sandler B. Quality and safety in obesity surgery-15 years of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass outcomes from a longitudinal database. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016;12:33-40 pubmed publisher..63[.58-.69]) and long-term complications (HR .78[.72-.85]). This longitudinal population study showed high rates of mortality following RYGB, with improved long-term outcomes when the laparoscopic approach was used. ..
- Libbus I, Nearing B, Amurthur B, Kenknight B, Verrier R. Autonomic regulation therapy suppresses quantitative T-wave alternans and improves baroreflex sensitivity in patients with heart failure enrolled in the ANTHEM-HF study. Heart Rhythm. 2016;13:721-8 pubmed publisher..These observations deserve study in a larger population. ..
- Buckley L, Carter D, Matta L, Cheng J, Stevens C, Belenkiy R, et al. Intravenous Diuretic Therapy for the Management of Heart Failure and Volume Overload in a Multidisciplinary Outpatient Unit. JACC Heart Fail. 2016;4:1-8 pubmed publisher..This strategy may provide an alternative to hospitalization for the management of selected HF patients. ..
- Fintelmann F, Tuncali K, Puchner S, Gervais D, Thabet A, Shyn P, et al. Catecholamine Surge during Image-Guided Ablation of Adrenal Gland Metastases: Predictors, Consequences, and Recommendations for Management. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2016;27:395-402 pubmed publisher..Patients at high risk of catecholamine surge during ablation of non-hormonally active adrenal metastases can be identified by the presence of normal adrenal tissue and tumor diameter â‰¤ 4.5 cm on pre-procedure CT or MR imaging. ..
- Graves T, Tabri N, Thompson Brenner H, Franko D, Eddy K, Bourion Bedes S, et al. A meta-analysis of the relation between therapeutic alliance and treatment outcome in eating disorders. Int J Eat Disord. 2017;50:323-340 pubmed publisher..In sum, early symptom reduction enhances therapeutic alliance and treatment outcome in EDs, but early alliance may require specific attention for younger patients and for those receiving nonbehaviorally oriented treatments. ..
- Vetterlein M, Löppenberg B, Karabon P, Dalela D, Jindal T, Sood A, et al. Impact of travel distance to the treatment facility on overall mortality in US patients with prostate cancer. Cancer. 2017;123:3241-3252 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the survival benefit mediated by long travel distances appears to be influenced by baseline socioeconomic, treatment, and facility-level factors. Cancer 2017;123:3241-52. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Lee K, Scully R. Mucinous tumors of the ovary: a clinicopathologic study of 196 borderline tumors (of intestinal type) and carcinomas, including an evaluation of 11 cases with 'pseudomyxoma peritonei'. Am J Surg Pathol. 2000;24:1447-64 pubmed..Adequate and sometimes extensive sampling of mucinous ovarian tumors, the appendix and the peritoneum in cases of "pseudomyxoma peritonei" is necessary to achieve an accurate diagnosis and prognosis. ..
- Fernandes S, Newburger J, Lang P, Pearson D, Feinstein J, Gauvreau K, et al. Usefulness of epoprostenol therapy in the severely ill adolescent/adult with Eisenmenger physiology. Am J Cardiol. 2003;91:632-5 pubmed
- Kaufman D, Carducci M, Kuzel T, Todd M, Oh W, Smith M, et al. A multi-institutional phase II trial of gemcitabine plus paclitaxel in patients with locally advanced or metastatic urothelial cancer. Urol Oncol. 2004;22:393-7 pubmed..Insufficient patients with poor renal function or prior therapy were accrued to reach conclusions regarding its utility in these subgroups. ..
- Ramsey M, Merchant S, McKenna M. Postauricular periosteal-pericranial flap for mastoid obliteration and canal wall down tympanomastoidectomy. Otol Neurotol. 2004;25:873-8 pubmed
- Rabban J, Bell D. Current issues in the pathology of ovarian cancer. J Reprod Med. 2005;50:467-74 pubmed..Special processing of the pathologic specimens is required to detect early and minimal neoplasia in this setting. These current issues in the pathology of ovarian carcinoma and their clinical significance form the basis of this review. ..
- Bartoli C, Okabe K, Akiyama I, Verrier R, Godleski J. Technique for implantation of chronic indwelling aortic access catheters. J Invest Surg. 2006;19:397-405 pubmed..These catheters have remained bidirectionally patent ongoing for more than 1 year and allowed infusion of agents and withdrawal of central arterial blood samples. ..
- Abelson M, Spangler D, Epstein A, Mah F, Crampton H. Efficacy of once-daily olopatadine 0.2% ophthalmic solution compared to twice-daily olopatadine 0.1% ophthalmic solution for the treatment of ocular itching induced by conjunctival allergen challenge. Curr Eye Res. 2007;32:1017-22 pubmed..1% and one drop of olopatadine 0.2%. Both showed significant activity at the 24-hour time point and were statistically superior to placebo. No adverse events occurred while on drug therapy. ..
- Varlotto J, Recht A, Nikolov M, Flickinger J, Decamp M. Extent of lymphadenectomy and outcome for patients with stage I nonsmall cell lung cancer. Cancer. 2009;115:851-8 pubmed publisher..It is uncertain whether lymphadenectomy (LA) affects overall survival (OS) or disease-free survival (DFS) rates for patients with stage I nonsmall cell lung cancer (NSCLC), as is the optimal number of lymph nodes that should be recovered...
- Mankin H, Hornicek F, Springfield D. Extra-abdominal desmoid tumors: a report of 234 cases. J Surg Oncol. 2010;102:380-4 pubmed publisher..To report on the clinical presentation and outcome for 234 patients with extra-abdominal desmoids tumors...
- Farabaugh A, Bitran S, Witte J, Alpert J, Chuzi S, Clain A, et al. Anxious depression and early changes in the HAMD-17 anxiety-somatization factor items and antidepressant treatment outcome. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2010;25:214-7 pubmed publisher..Future studies are warranted to further investigate this relationship as well as that between anxious depression and treatment outcome. ..
- Kaptchuk T, Friedlander E, Kelley J, Sanchez M, Kokkotou E, Singer J, et al. Placebos without deception: a randomized controlled trial in irritable bowel syndrome. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15591 pubmed publisher..Further research is warranted in IBS, and perhaps other conditions, to elucidate whether physicians can benefit patients using placebos consistent with informed consent. ClinicalTrials.gov NCT01010191. ..
- de Meijer V, Le H, Meisel J, Sharma A, Popov Y, Puder M. Tumor necrosis factor ?-converting enzyme inhibition reverses hepatic steatosis and improves insulin sensitivity markers and surgical outcome in mice. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25587 pubmed publisher..This may suggest a potential therapeutic role in patients with fatty liver disease; especially those who need to undergo hepatic resection. ..
- Rivara M, Bajwa E, Januzzi J, Gong M, Thompson B, Christiani D. Prognostic significance of elevated cardiac troponin-T levels in acute respiratory distress syndrome patients. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40515 pubmed publisher..Elevated cTnT levels are common in patients with ARDS, and are associated with worsened clinical outcomes and certain echocardiographic abnormalities. No association was seen between cTnT levels and ECG evidence of coronary ischemia. ..
- Roccaro A, Sacco A, Jia X, Banwait R, Maiso P, Azab F, et al. Mechanisms of activity of the TORC1 inhibitor everolimus in Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia. Clin Cancer Res. 2012;18:6609-22 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a better understanding of the mechanisms that are responsible for everolimus-induced anti-Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia activity. ..
- Popma J, Adams D, Reardon M, Yakubov S, Kleiman N, Heimansohn D, et al. Transcatheter aortic valve replacement using a self-expanding bioprosthesis in patients with severe aortic stenosis at extreme risk for surgery. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:1972-81 pubmed publisher..Safety and Efficacy Study of the Medtronic CoreValve System in the Treatment of Symptomatic Severe Aortic Stenosis in High Risk and Very High Risk Subjects Who Need Aortic Valve Replacement; NCT01240902). ..
- Pandey A, Banerjee S, Ngo C, Mody P, Marso S, Brilakis E, et al. Comparative Efficacy of Endovascular Revascularization Versus Supervised Exercise Training in Patients With Intermittent Claudication: Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2017;10:712-724 pubmed publisher..By contrast, endovascular therapy-only was not associated with any improvement in functional capacity or clinical outcomes over an intermediate duration of follow-up. ..
- Adeeb N, Griessenauer C, Foreman P, Moore J, Motiei Langroudi R, Chua M, et al. Comparison of Stent-Assisted Coil Embolization and the Pipeline Embolization Device for Endovascular Treatment of Ophthalmic Segment Aneurysms: A Multicenter Cohort Study. World Neurosurg. 2017;105:206-212 pubmed publisher..There were no significant differences in terms of procedural complications, angiographic, functional, and visual outcomes. PED may be more favorable for multiple adjacent OSAs. ..
- Kelleher D, Laussen P, Teixeira Pinto A, Duggan C. Growth and correlates of nutritional status among infants with hypoplastic left heart syndrome (HLHS) after stage 1 Norwood procedure. Nutrition. 2006;22:237-44 pubmed..Aggressive parenteral and enteral nutritional therapy might help reduce the prevalence of growth faltering in infants who have HLHS. ..
- Pleskow D, Rothstein R, Kozarek R, Haber G, Gostout C, Lembo A. Endoscopic full-thickness plication for the treatment of GERD: long-term multicenter results. Surg Endosc. 2007;21:439-44 pubmed..Endoscopic full-thickness plication can reduce GERD symptoms and medication use for at least 3-years post-procedure. Treatment effect is stable from 1 to 3 years, and there are no long-term procedural adverse effects. ..
- Chuckpaiwong B, Berkson E, Theodore G. Microfracture for osteochondral lesions of the ankle: outcome analysis and outcome predictors of 105 cases. Arthroscopy. 2008;24:106-12 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to identify outcomes and outcome predictors of arthroscopic debridement with osteochondral bone stimulation (microfracture) for osteochondral lesions of the ankle...
- Janeway K, Albritton K, Van den Abbeele A, D Amato G, Pedrazzoli P, Siena S, et al. Sunitinib treatment in pediatric patients with advanced GIST following failure of imatinib. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2009;52:767-71 pubmed publisher..Sunitinib treatment was associated with substantial initial antitumor activity and acceptable tolerability in this group of pediatric patients with imatinib-resistant GIST. ..
- Udelson J, Pressler S, Sackner Bernstein J, Massaro J, Ordronneau P, Lukas M, et al. Adherence with once daily versus twice daily carvedilol in patients with heart failure: the Compliance And Quality of Life Study Comparing Once-Daily Controlled-Release Carvedilol CR and Twice-Daily Immediate-Release Carvedilol IR in Patients with He. J Card Fail. 2009;15:385-93 pubmed publisher..Over the 5-month follow-up period, there were no differences in adverse events among patients switching from carvedilol IR to CR. ..
- Truong M, Kamat U, Liebsch N, Curry W, Lin D, Barker F, et al. Proton radiation therapy for primary sphenoid sinus malignancies: treatment outcome and prognostic factors. Head Neck. 2009;31:1297-308 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to determine treatment outcome and prognostic factors in patients with locally advanced primary sphenoid sinus malignancy treated with proton radiation therapy...
- Saleeb S, Juraszek A, Geva T. Anatomic, imaging, and clinical characteristics of double-inlet, double-outlet right ventricle. Am J Cardiol. 2010;105:542-9 pubmed publisher..Accurate diagnosis using noninvasive imaging techniques is of paramount importance for optimal management. ..
- McClure R, Narayanasamy N, Wiegerinck E, Lipsitz S, Maloney A, Byrne J, et al. Late outcomes for aortic valve replacement with the Carpentier-Edwards pericardial bioprosthesis: up to 17-year follow-up in 1,000 patients. Ann Thorac Surg. 2010;89:1410-6 pubmed publisher..4% for patients aged 65 to 75; and 99.5% for patients aged more than 75 years. The Carpentier-Edwards pericardial bioprosthesis shows long-term durability with low rates of structural failure. ..
- Catalano P, Jonnalagadda S, Yu V. Balloon catheter dilatation of Eustachian tube: a preliminary study. Otol Neurotol. 2012;33:1549-52 pubmed publisher..One complication is reported. Endoscopic transnasal ET balloon dilation is a novel approach to treating ET dysfunction. Benefits can be durable up to 3 years. This technique holds much promise and merits further investigation. ..
- Sedaghat A, Busaba N, Cunningham M, Kieff D. Clinical assessment is an accurate predictor of which patients will need septoplasty. Laryngoscope. 2013;123:48-52 pubmed publisher..Clinical assessment at initial presentation of patients with nasal obstruction and deviated septum is highly accurate in predicting which patients will need septoplasty. ..
- Eswara J, McDougal W. Long-term outcomes of surgical management for nonmalignant perineal disease. J Urol. 2013;190:2139-43 pubmed publisher..In contrast, grafts for regional/systemic diseases have suboptimal results and may assume the characteristics of the original disease. ..
- McMullan C, Borgi L, Fisher N, Curhan G, Forman J. Effect of Uric Acid Lowering on Renin-Angiotensin-System Activation and Ambulatory BP: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017;12:807-816 pubmed publisher..These data do not support the hypothesis that higher levels of uric acid are a reversible risk factor for increased BP. ..
- Aggarwal R, Rider L, Ruperto N, Bayat N, Erman B, Feldman B, et al. 2016 American College of Rheumatology/European League Against Rheumatism Criteria for Minimal, Moderate, and Major Clinical Response in Adult Dermatomyositis and Polymyositis: An International Myositis Assessment and Clinical Studies Group/Paediatric. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017;69:898-910 pubmed publisher..001). The response criteria for adult DM/PM consisted of the conjoint analysis model based on absolute percent change in 6 core set measures, with thresholds for minimal, moderate, and major improvement. ..
- Frank S, Stamler D, Kayson E, Claassen D, Colcher A, Davis C, et al. Safety of Converting From Tetrabenazine to Deutetrabenazine for the Treatment of Chorea. JAMA Neurol. 2017;74:977-982 pubmed publisher..Tetrabenazine is efficacious for chorea control; however, tolerability concerns exist. Deutetrabenazine, a novel molecule that reduces chorea, was well tolerated in a double-blind, placebo-controlled study...
- Mack M, Acker M, Gelijns A, Overbey J, Parides M, Browndyke J, et al. Effect of Cerebral Embolic Protection Devices on CNS Infarction in Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2017;318:536-547 pubmed publisher..Potential benefits for reduction in delirium, cognition, and symptomatic stroke merit larger trials with longer follow-up. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT02389894. ..
- Stephenson E, Casavant D, Tuzi J, Alexander M, Law I, Serwer G, et al. Efficacy of atrial antitachycardia pacing using the Medtronic AT500 pacemaker in patients with congenital heart disease. Am J Cardiol. 2003;92:871-6 pubmed..Atrial tachycardias in congenital heart disease are amenable to ATP algorithms in the AT500 pacemaker. ..
- Bloom K, Richie J, Schultz D, Renshaw A, Saegaert T, D Amico A. Invasion of seminal vesicles by adenocarcinoma of the prostate: PSA outcome determined by preoperative and postoperative factors. Urology. 2004;63:333-6 pubmed..SVI by prostate cancer is associated with high PSA failure rates after RRP and subsequent distant metastases...
- Burrows P, Mason K. Percutaneous treatment of low flow vascular malformations. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2004;15:431-45 pubmed..It is generally recommended that the treatment of vascular malformations be performed in a multidisciplinary setting by practitioners with appropriate training and support. ..
- Hande S, Wilson Rich N, Bousvaros A, Zholudev A, Maurer R, Banks P, et al. 5-aminosalicylate therapy is associated with higher 6-thioguanine levels in adults and children with inflammatory bowel disease in remission on 6-mercaptopurine or azathioprine. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2006;12:251-7 pubmed..TPMT inhibition may not explain this effect because 5-ASA exposure did not affect 6-MMP levels. The observed association of CD with higher 6-TGn levels is novel and needs to be verified in prospective studies. ..
- Resch S, Salomon J, Murray M, Weinstein M. Cost-effectiveness of treating multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. PLoS Med. 2006;3:e241 pubmed
- Cosgrove G, Delashaw J, Grotenhuis J, Tew J, Van Loveren H, Spetzler R, et al. Safety and efficacy of a novel polyethylene glycol hydrogel sealant for watertight dural repair. J Neurosurg. 2007;106:52-8 pubmed..The PEG hydrogel sealant provides a safe and effective watertight closure when used as an adjunct to sutured dural repair during cranial surgery. ..
- Armand P, Kim H, DeAngelo D, Ho V, Cutler C, Stone R, et al. Impact of cytogenetics on outcome of de novo and therapy-related AML and MDS after allogeneic transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2007;13:655-64 pubmed
- Abdullah A, Smith E, Biddinger P, Kalenderian D, Schwamm L. Advance hospital notification by EMS in acute stroke is associated with shorter door-to-computed tomography time and increased likelihood of administration of tissue-plasminogen activator. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2008;12:426-31 pubmed publisher..This occurred even with protocols in place to shorten the time to CT for all acute stroke patients. Further research is needed to understand how to increase rates of advance notification by EMS in potential tPA candidates. ..
- Vrooman L, Silverman L. Childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: update on prognostic factors. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2009;21:1-8 pubmed publisher..Integration of molecular tools into clinical practice will ultimately allow for more precise risk stratification and individualized treatment planning. ..
- Giraldez R, Wiviott S, Nicolau J, Mohanavelu S, Morrow D, Antman E, et al. Streptokinase and enoxaparin as an alternative to fibrin-specific lytic-based regimens: an ExTRACT-TIMI 25 analysis. Drugs. 2009;69:1433-43 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that fibrinolytic therapy with the combination of streptokinase and the potent anticoagulant agent enoxaparin resulted in similar adjusted outcomes compared with more costly regimens utilizing a FSL. ..
- Wang C, Bannuru R, Ramel J, Kupelnick B, Scott T, Schmid C. Tai Chi on psychological well-being: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2010;10:23 pubmed publisher..Definitive conclusions were limited due to variation in designs, comparisons, heterogeneous outcomes and inadequate controls. High-quality, well-controlled, longer randomized trials are needed to better inform clinical decisions. ..
- Yahalom B, Athiraman U, Soriano S, Zurakowski D, Carpino E, Corfas G, et al. Spinal anesthesia in infant rats: development of a model and assessment of neurologic outcomes. Anesthesiology. 2011;114:1325-35 pubmed publisher..All groups showed intact motor performance at adulthood. Spinal anesthesia is technically feasible in infant rats and appears benign in terms of neuroapoptotic and neuromotor sequelae. ..
- SABET A, Pallotta J. Dichotomous responses to thyroid hormone treatment in a patient with primary hypothyroidism and thyroid hormone resistance. Thyroid. 2011;21:559-61 pubmed publisher..Patients with RTH may develop hypothyroidism as a result of surgery, mistreatment with radioiodine, or autoimmune thyroid disease...
- Jenkins H, Zignol M, Cohen T. Quantifying the burden and trends of isoniazid resistant tuberculosis, 1994-2009. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e22927 pubmed publisher..Further research is required to understand reasons for the observed time trends and to determine the effects of INH-R for control of TB. ..