Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on synaptic transmission in Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Locale: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Topic: synaptic transmission
- Wang Z, Li L, Taylor M, Wright D, Frank E. Prenatal exposure to elevated NT3 disrupts synaptic selectivity in the spinal cord. J Neurosci. 2007;27:3686-94 pubmed..These results indicate that prenatal exposure to elevated levels of NT3 disrupts the normal mechanisms responsible for synaptic selectivity in the stretch reflex circuit. ..
- Johnson K, Tenney A, Ghose A, Duckworth A, Higashi M, Parfitt K, et al. The HSPGs Syndecan and Dallylike bind the receptor phosphatase LAR and exert distinct effects on synaptic development. Neuron. 2006;49:517-31 pubmed
- Medalla M, Gilman J, Wang J, Luebke J. Strength and Diversity of Inhibitory Signaling Differentiates Primate Anterior Cingulate from Lateral Prefrontal Cortex. J Neurosci. 2017;37:4717-4734 pubmed publisher..These significant differences in inhibitory synaptic transmission form an important basis for the differential timing of cognitive processing by the LPFC and ACC in normal and pathological brain states. ..
- Carter A, Chen C, Schwartz P, Segal R. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor modulates cerebellar plasticity and synaptic ultrastructure. J Neurosci. 2002;22:1316-27 pubmed..These data suggest that BDNF regulates both the mechanisms that underlie short-term synaptic plasticity and the steady-state relationship between different vesicle pools within the terminal. ..
- Olsen D, Dunlap K, Jacob M. Kainate receptors and RNA editing in cholinergic neurons. J Neurochem. 2007;101:327-41 pubmed..Our data suggest that glutamatergic signaling may function as a local circuit mechanism to modulate excitability and calcium signaling during synapse formation and maturation in the CG in vivo. ..
- Suzuki R, Ferris H, Chee M, Maratos Flier E, Kahn C. Reduction of the cholesterol sensor SCAP in the brains of mice causes impaired synaptic transmission and altered cognitive function. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001532 pubmed publisher..Thus, reduction of SCAP and the consequent suppression of cholesterol synthesis in the brain may play an important role in the increased rates of cognitive decline and Alzheimer disease observed in diabetic states. ..
- Lin J, Ju W, Foster K, Lee S, Ahmadian G, Wyszynski M, et al. Distinct molecular mechanisms and divergent endocytotic pathways of AMPA receptor internalization. Nat Neurosci. 2000;3:1282-90 pubmed..Thus, the molecular mechanisms and intracellular sorting of AMPA receptors are diverse, and depend on the internalizing stimulus. ..
- Anderson S, Famous K, Sadri Vakili G, Kumaresan V, Schmidt H, Bass C, et al. CaMKII: a biochemical bridge linking accumbens dopamine and glutamate systems in cocaine seeking. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:344-53 pubmed publisher..Thus, CaMKII may be an essential link between accumbens shell dopamine and glutamate systems involved in the neuronal plasticity underlying cocaine craving and relapse. ..
- Liu T, Berta T, Xu Z, Park C, Zhang L, Lu N, et al. TLR3 deficiency impairs spinal cord synaptic transmission, central sensitization, and pruritus in mice. J Clin Invest. 2012;122:2195-207 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate a critical role of TLR3 in regulating sensory neuronal excitability, spinal cord synaptic transmission, and central sensitization. TLR3 may serve as a new target for developing anti-itch treatment. ..
- Kimura F, Baughman R. Distinct muscarinic receptor subtypes suppress excitatory and inhibitory synaptic responses in cortical neurons. J Neurophysiol. 1997;77:709-16 pubmed..Separation of cholinergic effects at different receptors might also offer a means for selective pharmacological intervention in disorders of sleep or memory...
- Higashi Kovtun M, Mosca T, Dickman D, Meinertzhagen I, Schwarz T. Importin-beta11 regulates synaptic phosphorylated mothers against decapentaplegic, and thereby influences synaptic development and function at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. J Neurosci. 2010;30:5253-68 pubmed publisher..Thus, importin-beta11 function interacts with the BMP pathway to regulate a pool of pMAD that must be present at the presynapse for its proper development and function. ..
- Antal M, Acuna Goycolea C, Pressler R, Blitz D, Regehr W. Cholinergic activation of M2 receptors leads to context-dependent modulation of feedforward inhibition in the visual thalamus. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000348 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that cholinergic modulation regulates feedforward inhibition in a context-dependent manner. ..
- Qiu M, Shentu Y, Zeng J, Wang X, Yan X, Zhou X, et al. Zinc mediates the neuronal activity-dependent anti-apoptotic effect. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182150 pubmed publisher..Same results were also observed in cultured primary hippocampal neurons. Therefore, our results indicate that synaptic activity improves neuronal resistance to apoptosis via synaptically released zinc. ..
- Fagiolini M, Jensen C, Champagne F. Epigenetic influences on brain development and plasticity. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2009;19:207-12 pubmed publisher..Understanding these mechanisms may give insight into the formation of critical periods and provide new strategies for increasing plasticity and adaptive change in adulthood. ..
- Balcioglu A, Kim M, Sharma N, Cha J, Breakefield X, Standaert D. Dopamine release is impaired in a mouse model of DYT1 dystonia. J Neurochem. 2007;102:783-8 pubmed..The defect in DA release as observed may contribute to the abnormalities in motor learning as previously documented in this transgenic mouse model, and may contribute to the clinical symptoms of the human disorder...
- Loerch P, Lu T, Dakin K, Vann J, Isaacs A, Geula C, et al. Evolution of the aging brain transcriptome and synaptic regulation. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3329 pubmed publisher..Thus, repression of neuronal gene expression is a prominent and recently evolved feature of brain aging in humans and rhesus macaques that may alter neural networks and contribute to age-related cognitive changes. ..
- Gao Y, Zhang L, Samad O, Suter M, Yasuhiko K, Xu Z, et al. JNK-induced MCP-1 production in spinal cord astrocytes contributes to central sensitization and neuropathic pain. J Neurosci. 2009;29:4096-108 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of the JNK/MCP-1 pathway may provide a new therapy for neuropathic pain management. ..
- Commons K. Locally collateralizing glutamate neurons in the dorsal raphe nucleus responsive to substance P contain vesicular glutamate transporter 3 (VGLUT3). J Chem Neuroanat. 2009;38:273-81 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings indicate locally collateralizing glutamate neurons responsive to substance P contain VGLUT3. ..
- Shang E, Zhdanova I. The circadian system is a target and modulator of prenatal cocaine effects. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e587 pubmed..Daily variation in these effects of cocaine and their attenuation by melatonin suggest a potential prophylactic or therapeutic role for circadian factors in prenatal cocaine exposure. ..
- Murthy V, Taranda J, Elgoyhen A, Vetter D. Activity of nAChRs containing alpha9 subunits modulates synapse stabilization via bidirectional signaling programs. Dev Neurobiol. 2009;69:931-49 pubmed publisher..Finally, by using mice expressing the nondesensitizing alpha9 L9'T point mutant nAChR subunit, we show that increased nAChR activity drives synaptic hyperinnervation. ..
- Chiao C, Masland R. Starburst cells nondirectionally facilitate the responses of direction-selective retinal ganglion cells. J Neurosci. 2002;22:10509-13 pubmed..This seems to place a constraint on models of the directional discrimination in which the starburst cells participate, namely, that their cholinergic synapses be nondirectional in their effects on the ganglion cells...
- Krishnan V, Stoppel D, Nong Y, Johnson M, Nadler M, Ozkaynak E, et al. Autism gene Ube3a and seizures impair sociability by repressing VTA Cbln1. Nature. 2017;543:507-512 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that gene and seizure interactions in VTA glutamatergic neurons impair sociability by downregulating Cbln1, a key node in the expanding protein interaction network of autism genes. ..
- Nakagawa T, Sheng M. Neurobiology. A stargazer foretells the way to the synapse. Science. 2000;290:2270-1 pubmed
- Hasselmo M, Fehlau B. Differences in time course of ACh and GABA modulation of excitatory synaptic potentials in slices of rat hippocampus. J Neurophysiol. 2001;86:1792-802 pubmed..The faster changes in synaptic potentials caused by GABA could cause changes within each cycle of the theta rhythm, rapidly switching between encoding and retrieval dynamics during exploration...
- Liberman L, Wang H, Liberman M. Opposing gradients of ribbon size and AMPA receptor expression underlie sensitivity differences among cochlear-nerve/hair-cell synapses. J Neurosci. 2011;31:801-8 pubmed publisher..2010). ..
- Alekseyenko O, Lee C, Kravitz E. Targeted manipulation of serotonergic neurotransmission affects the escalation of aggression in adult male Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10806 pubmed publisher..By separately manipulating 5HT- and DA- neuron systems, we collected evidence demonstrating a direct role for 5HT in the escalation of aggression in Drosophila. ..
- McGann J, Pírez N, Gainey M, Muratore C, Elias A, Wachowiak M. Odorant representations are modulated by intra- but not interglomerular presynaptic inhibition of olfactory sensory neurons. Neuron. 2005;48:1039-53 pubmed..This organization allows for control of input sensitivity while maintaining the spatial maps of glomerular activity thought to encode odorant identity. ..
- Zhou Z, Hong E, Cohen S, Zhao W, Ho H, Schmidt L, et al. Brain-specific phosphorylation of MeCP2 regulates activity-dependent Bdnf transcription, dendritic growth, and spine maturation. Neuron. 2006;52:255-69 pubmed
- Madison J, Nurrish S, Kaplan J. UNC-13 interaction with syntaxin is required for synaptic transmission. Curr Biol. 2005;15:2236-42 pubmed..elegans and that, contrary to current models, the UNC-13/Syntaxin interaction is required for nerve-evoked vesicle fusion rather than synaptic-vesicle priming. Thus, UNC-13 may regulate multiple steps of the synaptic-vesicle cycle. ..
- Wilson R, Laurent G. Role of GABAergic inhibition in shaping odor-evoked spatiotemporal patterns in the Drosophila antennal lobe. J Neurosci. 2005;25:9069-79 pubmed
- Sieburth D, Ch ng Q, Dybbs M, Tavazoie M, Kennedy S, Wang D, et al. Systematic analysis of genes required for synapse structure and function. Nature. 2005;436:510-7 pubmed..Twenty-four genes encoded proteins that were localized to presynaptic specializations. Loss-of-function mutations in 12 genes caused defects in presynaptic structure...
- Huang H, Lee S, Ye C, Lima I, Oh B, Lowell B, et al. ROCK1 in AgRP neurons regulates energy expenditure and locomotor activity in male mice. Endocrinology. 2013;154:3660-70 pubmed publisher..These results further support previous work identifying ROCK1 as a key regulator of energy balance and suggest that targeting ROCK1 in the hypothalamus may lead to development of antiobesity therapeutics. ..
- Tsen G, Williams B, Allaire P, Zhou Y, Ikonomov O, Kondova I, et al. Receptors with opposing functions are in postsynaptic microdomains under one presynaptic terminal. Nat Neurosci. 2000;3:126-32 pubmed..Coexistence of separate clusters of receptors with opposing functions under one terminal contradicts Dale's principle and provides a new mechanism for modulating synaptic activity in vivo. ..
- Kanai Y, Stelzner M, Nussberger S, Khawaja S, Hebert S, Smith C, et al. The neuronal and epithelial human high affinity glutamate transporter. Insights into structure and mechanism of transport. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:20599-606 pubmed..A search of the sequence data bases revealed weak homology of HEAAC1 to the H(+)-coupled vesicular monoamine transporter, suggesting an evolutionary link between plasma membrane and vesicular transporters. ..
- Higley M, Sabatini B. Competitive regulation of synaptic Ca2+ influx by D2 dopamine and A2A adenosine receptors. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:958-66 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal that dopamine regulates spine Ca2+ by multiple pathways and that competitive modulation of PKA controls NMDAR-mediated Ca2+ signaling in the striatum. ..
- Hekmat Scafe D, Mercado A, Fajilan A, Lee A, Hsu R, Mount D, et al. Seizure sensitivity is ameliorated by targeted expression of K+-Cl- cotransporter function in the mushroom body of the Drosophila brain. Genetics. 2010;184:171-83 pubmed publisher..We show that kcc(DHS1) seizure sensitivity in MB neurons acts via a weakening of chemical synaptic inhibition by GABAergic transmission and suggest that this is due to disruption of intracellular Cl(-) gradients in MB neurons. ..
- Kazama H, Wilson R. Origins of correlated activity in an olfactory circuit. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:1136-44 pubmed publisher..PN axons from the same glomerulus reconverge in the lateral horn, where pooling redundant signals may allow lateral horn neurons to average out noise that arises independently in these PNs...
- Krapivinsky G, Medina I, Krapivinsky L, Gapon S, Clapham D. SynGAP-MUPP1-CaMKII synaptic complexes regulate p38 MAP kinase activity and NMDA receptor-dependent synaptic AMPA receptor potentiation. Neuron. 2004;43:563-74 pubmed..siRNA-mediated SynGAP knockdown confirmed these results. These data implicate SynGAP in NMDAR- and CaMKII-dependent regulation of AMPAR trafficking. ..