Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on sex factors in Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Locale: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Topic: sex factors
Publications164 found, 100 shown here
- Kuvin J, Patel A, Sidhu M, Rand W, Sliney K, Pandian N, et al. Relation between high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and peripheral vasomotor function. Am J Cardiol. 2003;92:275-9 pubmed..These data suggest that impaired endothelial function associated with low HDL cholesterol may be an additional, previously unrecognized mechanism contributing to the increased risk of atherosclerosis in these patients. ..
- Felson D, Goggins J, Niu J, Zhang Y, Hunter D. The effect of body weight on progression of knee osteoarthritis is dependent on alignment. Arthritis Rheum. 2004;50:3904-9 pubmed..This has implications for clinical recommendations and for trials testing weight loss in those with knee OA. ..
- Pearson W, Hoagland T. Measuring change in professionalism attitudes during the gross anatomy course. Anat Sci Educ. 2010;3:12-6 pubmed publisher..This cohort of students reported a statistically significant increase in altruism and no significant decreases in other professionalism attitudes concurrent with the gross anatomy course. ..
- Nie X, Lowe D, Rollins L, Bentzley J, Fraser J, Martin R, et al. Sex-specific effects of N-acetylcysteine in neonatal rats treated with hypothermia after severe hypoxia-ischemia. Neurosci Res. 2016;108:24-33 pubmed publisher..Antioxidants may provide insufficient neuroprotection after HI for neonatal males in the short term, while long-term therapy may benefit both sexes. ..
- Kaneko Y, Herrera V, Didishvili T, Ruiz Opazo N. Sex-specific effects of dual ET-1/ANG II receptor (Dear) variants in Dahl salt-sensitive/resistant hypertension rat model. Physiol Genomics. 2005;20:157-64 pubmed..More importantly, the data reiterate the importance of sex-specific factors in hypertension susceptibility. ..
- Khawaja O, Bartz T, Ix J, Heckbert S, Kizer J, Zieman S, et al. Plasma free fatty acids and risk of atrial fibrillation (from the Cardiovascular Health Study). Am J Cardiol. 2012;110:212-6 pubmed publisher..In a secondary analysis restricted to the first 5 years of follow-up, this association persisted. In conclusion, our data show an increased risk of AF with higher plasma FFAs in community-dwelling older adults. ..
- De Rienzo A, Archer M, Yeap B, Dao N, Sciaranghella D, Sideris A, et al. Gender-Specific Molecular and Clinical Features Underlie Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma. Cancer Res. 2016;76:319-28 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings indicate that diverse mechanisms highly related to gender and histology appear to drive MPM. ..
- Callow A. Cardiovascular disease 2005--the global picture. Vascul Pharmacol. 2006;45:302-7 pubmed..Defeating such an initiative are other priorities such as education, housing, transportation, defense, as well as ignorance. The Earth Institute has labeled the needed effort, "A Race Against Time". ..
- Goessling W, Massaro J, Vasan R, D Agostino R, Ellison R, Fox C. Aminotransferase levels and 20-year risk of metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. Gastroenterology. 2008;135:1935-44, 1944.e1 pubmed publisher..Both normal and increased levels of ALT are associated with long-term development of multiple metabolic disorders. These results indicate the potential for ALT values as biomarkers for the risk of metabolic disease. ..
- Jessani S, Levey A, Bux R, Inker L, Islam M, Chaturvedi N, et al. Estimation of GFR in South Asians: a study from the general population in Pakistan. Am J Kidney Dis. 2014;63:49-58 pubmed publisher..The CKD-EPI Pakistan equation further improves the performance of the CKD-EPI equation in South Asians and could be used for eGFR reporting. ..
- Sadi H, Finkelman M, Rosenberg M. Salivary cortisol, salivary alpha amylase, and the dental anxiety scale. Anesth Prog. 2013;60:46-53 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, our study was the first to our knowledge to test the correlation between the DAS and sAA; nevertheless, our results failed to show any significant correlation between dental anxiety, cortisol, and sAA levels. ..
- Holloway M, Miles G, Dombkowski A, Waxman D. Liver-specific hepatocyte nuclear factor-4alpha deficiency: greater impact on gene expression in male than in female mouse liver. Mol Endocrinol. 2008;22:1274-86 pubmed publisher..Thus, a substantial fraction of the HNF4alpha-dependent genes reported here are likely to be direct targets of HNF4alpha. ..
- Perlis R, Purcell S, Fagerness J, Cusin C, Yamaki L, Fava M, et al. Clinical and genetic dissection of anger expression and CREB1 polymorphisms in major depressive disorder. Biol Psychiatry. 2007;62:536-40 pubmed..7 x 10(-6)). No single SNP or haplotype accounted for all of the association observed. These preliminary results suggest a strong, gender-specific association between variation at the CREB1 locus and anger expression in MDD. ..
- Klipstein S, Reindollar R, Regan M, Alper M. Gender bias in the disposition of frozen embryos. Fertil Steril. 2001;76:1181-4 pubmed..Gender bias was found in couples who made decisions regarding the disposition of their frozen embryos. ..
- Lee A, Kozuki N, Blencowe H, Vos T, Bahalim A, Darmstadt G, et al. Intrapartum-related neonatal encephalopathy incidence and impairment at regional and global levels for 2010 with trends from 1990. Pediatr Res. 2013;74 Suppl 1:50-72 pubmed publisher..In settings without neonatal intensive care, the impairment rate is low due to high mortality, which is relevant for the scale-up of basic neonatal resuscitation. ..
- Lembo A, Ameen V, Drossman D. Irritable bowel syndrome: toward an understanding of severity. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005;3:717-25 pubmed..However, studies have not been adequately designed to determine the relative values of these factors in IBS severity. ..
- Vogt D, Pless A, King L, King D. Deployment stressors, gender, and mental health outcomes among Gulf War I veterans. J Trauma Stress. 2005;18:272-84 pubmed..Exceptions are described, and implications are discussed. ..
- Costenbader K, Feskanich D, Stampfer M, Karlson E. Reproductive and menopausal factors and risk of systemic lupus erythematosus in women. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56:1251-62 pubmed..These associations may point to the mechanisms underlying the pathogenesis of SLE. ..
- Tong Q, Ye C, Jones J, Elmquist J, Lowell B. Synaptic release of GABA by AgRP neurons is required for normal regulation of energy balance. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:998-1000 pubmed publisher..These mice are lean, resistant to obesity and have an attenuated hyperphagic response to ghrelin. Thus, GABA release from AgRP neurons is important in regulating energy balance. ..
- Sandora T, Pfoh E, Lee G. Adverse events after administration of tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis vaccine to healthcare workers. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009;30:389-91 pubmed publisher..Systemic adverse events were more common among healthcare workers aged less than 30 years. These findings provide guidance for counseling of healthcare workers who receive Tdap vaccine. ..
- Kalichman L, Hodges P, Li L, Guermazi A, Hunter D. Changes in paraspinal muscles and their association with low back pain and spinal degeneration: CT study. Eur Spine J. 2010;19:1136-44 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the paraspinal muscle density decreases with age, and increases BMI. It is associated with at some levels FJOA, spondylolisthesis and disc narrowing at the same level, but not associated with occurrence of LBP. ..
- Weir M, Burgess E, Cooper J, Fenves A, Goldsmith D, McKay D, et al. Assessment and management of hypertension in transplant patients. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015;26:1248-60 pubmed publisher..Identifying the underlying pathophysiology and subsequent individualization of treatment goals are important for improving long-term patient and graft outcomes in these patients. ..
- Benck L, Cuttica M, Colangelo L, Sidney S, Dransfield M, Mannino D, et al. Association between Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Lung Health from Young Adulthood to Middle Age. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017;195:1236-1243 pubmed publisher..Beyond the risks of smoking, there are limited data on factors associated with change in lung function over time...
- Aeschbach D, Lockyer B, Dijk D, Lockley S, Nuwayser E, Nichols L, et al. Use of transdermal melatonin delivery to improve sleep maintenance during daytime. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2009;86:378-82 pubmed publisher..Transdermal MEL may have advantages over fast-release oral MEL in improving sleep maintenance during adverse circadian phases. ..
- McNeil G, Schroeder A, Roberts M, Jackson F. Genetic analysis of functional domains within the Drosophila LARK RNA-binding protein. Genetics. 2001;159:229-40 pubmed..This genetic analysis demonstrates that each of the LARK structural domains functions in vivo and indicates a pleiotropic requirement for both the LARK RRM2 and RTZF domains. ..
- Weuve J, Sanchez B, Calafat A, Schettler T, Green R, Hu H, et al. Exposure to phthalates in neonatal intensive care unit infants: urinary concentrations of monoesters and oxidative metabolites. Environ Health Perspect. 2006;114:1424-31 pubmed..Inclusion of the oxidative metabolites MEHHP and MEOHP strengthened the association between intensiveness of product use and biologic indices of DEHP exposure over that observed with MEHP alone. ..
- Huang T, Kaur H, McCarter K, Nazir N, Choi W, Ahluwalia J. Reading nutrition labels and fat consumption in adolescents. J Adolesc Health. 2004;35:399-401 pubmed..In girls, fat intake did not differ by frequency of nutrition label reading. Nutrition label reading does not translate into healthier diet in adolescents. ..
- McDonnell A, Lin L. The hot body issue: Weight and caption tone in celebrity gossip magazines. Body Image. 2016;18:74-7 pubmed publisher..Underweight women and overweight men are especially targeted for criticism. Latinos are praised more often than other racial groups. The implications of these representations are discussed. ..
- Nurko S, Scott S. Coexistence of constipation and incontinence in children and adults. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2011;25:29-41 pubmed publisher..This review broadly addresses the epidemiology and pathophysiology of coexistent constipation and incontinence in both children and adults, and also reviews clinical presentation and treatment response in pediatrics. ..
- Rakowski S, Winterkorn E, Paul E, Steele D, Halpern E, Thiele E. Renal manifestations of tuberous sclerosis complex: Incidence, prognosis, and predictive factors. Kidney Int. 2006;70:1777-82 pubmed
- Leffler D, Dennis M, Hyett B, Kelly E, Schuppan D, Kelly C. Etiologies and predictors of diagnosis in nonresponsive celiac disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007;5:445-50 pubmed..05 and < .001, respectively). NRCD is a common phenomenon affecting 10%-19% of celiac patients. A limited number of etiologies account for the majority of cases. Clinical factors may be used to guide evaluation. ..
- O Brien C, Valsdottir L, Wasfy J, Strom J, Secemsky E, Wang Y, et al. Comparison of 30-Day Readmission Rates After Hospitalization for Acute Myocardial Infarction in Men Versus Women. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1070-1076 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, women are at higher risk of short-term readmission after an AMI hospitalization than men, particularly younger women. Sex-specific strategies to reduce these readmissions may be warranted. ..
- Jang S, Kawachi I, Chang J, Boo K, Shin H, Lee H, et al. Marital status, gender, and depression: analysis of the baseline survey of the Korean Longitudinal Study of Ageing (KLoSA). Soc Sci Med. 2009;69:1608-15 pubmed publisher..This pattern of depressive symptoms by gender and life stage may reflect the distinctive influence of the Asian context on relations between men and women, such as traditional gender roles and patriarchal norms for older generation. ..
- Coelho Filho O, Seabra L, Mongeon F, Abdullah S, Francis S, Blankstein R, et al. Stress myocardial perfusion imaging by CMR provides strong prognostic value to cardiac events regardless of patient's sex. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2011;4:850-61 pubmed publisher..In addition to avoiding exposure to ionizing radiation, stress CMR myocardial perfusion imaging is an effective and robust risk-stratifying tool for patients of either sex presenting with possible ischemia. ..
- Chang S, Glymour M, Rewak M, Cornelis M, Walter S, Koenen K, et al. Are genetic variations in OXTR, AVPR1A, and CD38 genes important to social integration? Results from two large U.S. cohorts. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2014;39:257-68 pubmed publisher..Further work considering genetic pathways in relation to social integration may be more fruitful if these additional factors can be more comprehensively evaluated. ..
- McCully J, Rousou A, Parker R, Levitsky S. Age- and gender-related differences in mitochondrial oxygen consumption and calcium with cardioplegia and diazoxide. Ann Thorac Surg. 2007;83:1102-9 pubmed
- Nathan M, Liu H, Pigula F, Fynn Thompson F, Emani S, Baird C, et al. Biventricular conversion after single-ventricle palliation in unbalanced atrioventricular canal defects. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013;95:2086-95; discussion 2095-6 pubmed publisher..Biventricular conversion from failing SV palliation in UCAVC can be accomplished with an acceptable early and late morbidity and mortality, although need for reintervention was not uncommon. ..
- Panagiotou G, Anastasilakis A, Kynigopoulos G, Skouvaklidou E, Saridakis Z, Upadhyay J, et al. Physiological parameters regulating circulating levels of the IGFBP-4/Stanniocalcin-2/PAPP-A axis. Metabolism. 2017;75:16-24 pubmed publisher..001 for both). Intact, and to a lesser extent total, IGFBP-4 displayed a cortisol-like day/night variation. We report for the first time anthropometric and physiological modulators of ISPa serum levels in healthy humans. ..
- Kitsberg D, Leder P. Keratinocyte growth factor induces mammary and prostatic hyperplasia and mammary adenocarcinoma in transgenic mice. Oncogene. 1996;13:2507-15 pubmed
- Melis M, Abou Atme Y. Prevalence of bruxism awareness in a Sardinian population. Cranio. 2003;21:144-51 pubmed..Although awareness of bruxism is not a precise measure of parafunction, based on the results we cannot support the role of stress on bruxism etiology. ..
- Bavry A, Kumbhani D, Quiroz R, Ramchandani S, Kenchaiah S, Antman E. Invasive therapy along with glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitors and intracoronary stents improves survival in non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndromes: a meta-analysis and review of the literature. Am J Cardiol. 2004;93:830-5 pubmed..Enhanced risk stratification is needed in women and troponin-negative patients so that invasive therapy may be more effectively recommended in these groups. ..
- Beinfeld M, Blum A, Vishnuvardhan D, Fanous S, Marchand J. Cholecystokinin levels in prohormone convertase 2 knock-out mouse brain regions reveal a complex phenotype of region-specific alterations. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:38410-5 pubmed
- DeMeo D, Sandhaus R, Barker A, Brantly M, Eden E, McElvaney N, et al. Determinants of airflow obstruction in severe alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency. Thorax. 2007;62:806-13 pubmed..These results suggest that, in subjects severely deficient in AAT, men, individuals with symptoms of chronic bronchitis and/or a past diagnosis of asthma or pneumonia may benefit from closer monitoring and potentially earlier treatment. ..
- Chung M, Lee J, Terasawa T, Lau J, Trikalinos T. Vitamin D with or without calcium supplementation for prevention of cancer and fractures: an updated meta-analysis for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 2011;155:827-38 pubmed publisher..Evidence is not sufficiently robust to draw conclusions regarding the benefits or harms of vitamin D supplementation for the prevention of cancer. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. ..
- Sánchez Mora C, Ribases M, Ramos Quiroga J, Casas M, Bosch R, Boreatti Hümmer A, et al. Meta-analysis of brain-derived neurotrophic factor p.Val66Met in adult ADHD in four European populations. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2010;153B:512-523 pubmed publisher..Despite the potential role of BDNF in ADHD, our data do not support the involvement of p.Val66Met in the pathogenesis of this neuropsychiatric disorder. ..
- Bhojraj T, Sweeney J, Prasad K, Eack S, Rajarethinam R, Francis A, et al. Progressive alterations of the auditory association areas in young non-psychotic offspring of schizophrenia patients. J Psychiatr Res. 2011;45:205-12 pubmed publisher..Progressive surface area reduction and thinning of AAA may be more prominent in young non-psychotic male offspring at risk for schizophrenia. ..
- Herrera V, Tsikoudakis A, Ponce L, Matsubara Y, Ruiz Opazo N. Sex-specific QTLs and interacting loci underlie salt-sensitive hypertension and target organ complications in Dahl S/jrHS hypertensive rats. Physiol Genomics. 2006;26:172-9 pubmed..Altogether, the data provide key experimental bases for sex-specific investigation of mechanisms and intervention and prevention strategies for polygenic hypertension in humans. ..
- Yoshida M, Jacques P, Meigs J, Saltzman E, Shea M, Gundberg C, et al. Effect of vitamin K supplementation on insulin resistance in older men and women. Diabetes Care. 2008;31:2092-6 pubmed publisher..Vitamin K supplementation for 36 months at doses attainable in the diet may reduce progression of insulin resistance in older men. ..
- Calzo J, Sonneville K, Haines J, Blood E, Field A, Austin S. The development of associations among body mass index, body dissatisfaction, and weight and shape concern in adolescent boys and girls. J Adolesc Health. 2012;51:517-23 pubmed publisher..Findings have important implications for eating disorder risk assessment and prevention. ..
- Kadasi L, Dent W, Malek A. Cerebral aneurysm wall thickness analysis using intraoperative microscopy: effect of size and gender on thin translucent regions. J Neurointerv Surg. 2013;5:201-6 pubmed publisher..This inconstant property affects wall tensile stress, may play a role in aneurysm pathogenesis and focal rupture, and should be incorporated into future analyses of aneurysm rupture risk and mechanics. ..
- Laz E, Holloway M, Chen C, Waxman D. Characterization of three growth hormone-responsive transcription factors preferentially expressed in adult female liver. Endocrinology. 2007;148:3327-37 pubmed..Binding sites for Cutl1, whose DNA-binding specificity is close to that of Cutl2, were statistically overrepresented in STAT5b-dependent male-specific mouse genes, lending support to this hypothesis. ..
- Baccarelli A, Martinelli I, Zanobetti A, Grillo P, Hou L, Bertazzi P, et al. Exposure to particulate air pollution and risk of deep vein thrombosis. Arch Intern Med. 2008;168:920-7 pubmed publisher..Long-term exposure to particulate air pollution is associated with altered coagulation function and DVT risk. Other risk factors for DVT may modulate the effect of particulate air pollution. ..
- Fowler Brown A, Wee C, Marcantonio E, Ngo L, Leveille S. The mediating effect of chronic pain on the relationship between obesity and physical function and disability in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013;61:2079-86 pubmed publisher..Bodily pain may be an important treatable mediator of the adverse effect of obesity on disability and physical function in women. ..
- Shi L, Dorbala S, Paez D, Shaw L, Zukotynski K, Pascual T, et al. Gender Differences in Radiation Dose From Nuclear Cardiology Studies Across the World: Findings From the INCAPS Registry. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2016;9:376-84 pubmed publisher..Regional variations noted in myocardial perfusion imaging use and radiation dose offer potential opportunities to address gender-related differences in delivery of nuclear cardiology care. ..
- Sagiv S, Thurston S, Bellinger D, Altshul L, Korrick S. Neuropsychological measures of attention and impulse control among 8-year-old children exposed prenatally to organochlorines. Environ Health Perspect. 2012;120:904-9 pubmed publisher..These results support an association between organochlorines (mainly PCBs) and neuropsychological measures of attention among boys only. Sex-specific effects should be considered in studies of organochlorines and neurodevelopment. ..
- Eaton B, Esiashvili N, Kim S, Weyman E, Thornton L, Mazewski C, et al. Clinical Outcomes Among Children With Standard-Risk Medulloblastoma Treated With Proton and Photon Radiation Therapy: A Comparison of Disease Control and Overall Survival. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016;94:133-138 pubmed publisher..096) and for longer OS with females (P=.093). Patterns of failure were similar between the 2 cohorts (P=.908). Disease control with proton and photon radiation therapy appears equivalent for standard risk medulloblastoma. ..
- Kim K, Li C. Expression and regulation of an FMRFamide-related neuropeptide gene family in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Comp Neurol. 2004;475:540-50 pubmed..Collectively, these data indicate that members of the flp gene family are likely to influence multiple behaviors and that their regulation can be dependent on the developmental state of the organism. ..
- Giles D, Moreno Fernandez M, Stankiewicz T, Graspeuntner S, Cappelletti M, Wu D, et al. Thermoneutral housing exacerbates nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in mice and allows for sex-independent disease modeling. Nat Med. 2017;23:829-838 pubmed publisher..Thus, thermoneutral housing provides a sex-independent model of exacerbated NAFLD in mice and represents a novel approach for interrogation of the cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying disease pathogenesis...
- Rappley I, Myers D, Milne S, Ivanova P, LaVoie M, Brown H, et al. Lipidomic profiling in mouse brain reveals differences between ages and genders, with smaller changes associated with alpha-synuclein genotype. J Neurochem. 2009;111:15-25 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a detailed and systematic characterization of brain phospholipid composition in mice and identify age-related changes relevant both to Parkinson's disease and to normal aging. ..
- Mitchell D, Henao M, Finkelstein J, Burnett Bowie S. Prevalence and predictors of vitamin D deficiency in healthy adults. Endocr Pract. 2012;18:914-23 pubmed publisher..Black and Asian adults are at increased risk of deficiency and multivitamin use appears partially protective. Our models predicting low 25(OH)D levels may guide decision-making regarding whom to screen for vitamin D deficiency. ..
- Iskander K, Osuchowski M, Stearns Kurosawa D, Kurosawa S, Stepien D, Valentine C, et al. Sepsis: multiple abnormalities, heterogeneous responses, and evolving understanding. Physiol Rev. 2013;93:1247-88 pubmed publisher..Clinical trial failures and the therapeutic interventions that have proven successful are also discussed. ..
- Kang J, Loomis S, Wiggs J, Stein J, Pasquale L. Demographic and geographic features of exfoliation glaucoma in 2 United States-based prospective cohorts. Ophthalmology. 2012;119:27-35 pubmed publisher..The author(s) have no proprietary or commercial interest in any materials discussed in this article. ..
- Barzilay J, BÅ¯Å¾kovÃ¡ P, Kizer J, DjoussÃ© L, Ix J, Fink H, et al. Fibrosis markers, hip fracture risk, and bone density in older adults. Osteoporos Int. 2016;27:815-20 pubmed publisher..The reasons for these differences between men and women regarding TGF-Î²1 levels and hip fracture risk and bone density require further investigation. ..
- Chatterjee S, Peters S, Woodward M, Mejia Arango S, Batty G, Beckett N, et al. Type 2 Diabetes as a Risk Factor for Dementia in Women Compared With Men: A Pooled Analysis of 2.3 Million People Comprising More Than 100,000 Cases of Dementia. Diabetes Care. 2016;39:300-7 pubmed publisher..001). Individuals with type 2 diabetes are at ∼60% greater risk for the development of dementia compared with those without diabetes. For vascular dementia, but not for nonvascular dementia, the additional risk is greater in women. ..
- Kent D, Hayward R, Griffith J, Vijan S, Beshansky J, Califf R, et al. An independently derived and validated predictive model for selecting patients with myocardial infarction who are likely to benefit from tissue plasminogen activator compared with streptokinase. Am J Med. 2002;113:104-11 pubmed..For many patients, however, tPA is unlikely to provide any additional benefit and, in some patients, it may even cause net harm. ..
- Giza E, Micheli L. Soccer injuries. Med Sport Sci. 2005;49:140-69 pubmed..Head injuries in youth soccer are low, and rarely, if ever, occur from head to ball contact. Adherence to the rules of the game, proper coaching, and adequate refereeing are important factors in youth soccer injury prevention. ..
- Pischon T, Pai J, Manson J, Hu F, Rexrode K, Hunter D, et al. Single nucleotide polymorphisms at the adiponectin locus and risk of coronary heart disease in men and women. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007;15:2051-60 pubmed
- Conwell D, Banks P, Sandhu B, Sherman S, Al Kaade S, Gardner T, et al. Validation of Demographics, Etiology, and Risk Factors for Chronic Pancreatitis in the USA: A Report of the North American Pancreas Study (NAPS) Group. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:2133-2140 pubmed publisher..Alcohol remains the most common physician-defined etiology, while smoking was the most commonly identified TIGAR-O risk factor. Identification of multiple risk factors suggests CP to be a complex disease. ..
- Kondo N, Subramanian S, Kawachi I, Takeda Y, Yamagata Z. Economic recession and health inequalities in Japan: analysis with a national sample, 1986-2001. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2008;62:869-75 pubmed publisher..Self-rated health improved in absolute terms for all occupational groups even after the economic recession. However, the relative disparity increased between the top and middle occupational groups in men. ..
- Jain M, Liao R, Podesser B, Ngoy S, Apstein C, Eberli F. Influence of gender on the response to hemodynamic overload after myocardial infarction. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2002;283:H2544-50 pubmed..Female gender influences favorably the remodeling and physiological response to hemodynamic overload after large MI. ..
- Hsu Y, Liu Y, Hannan M, Maixner W, Smith S, Diatchenko L, et al. Genome-wide association meta-analyses to identify common genetic variants associated with hallux valgus in Caucasian and African Americans. J Med Genet. 2015;52:762-9 pubmed publisher..The identified genetic variants imply contribution of biological pathways observed in osteoarthritis as well as new pathways, influencing skeletal development and inflammation. ..
- Barry M. Evaluation of symptoms and quality of life in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia. Urology. 2001;58:25-32; discussion 32 pubmed..Men with a severe burden of lower urinary tract symptoms often have measurable decrements in overall health-related quality of life, which can be ameliorated by treatment. ..
- Hearon B, Calkins A, Halperin D, McHugh R, Murray H, Otto M. Anxiety sensitivity and illicit sedative use among opiate-dependent women and men. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2011;37:43-7 pubmed publisher..The presence of elevated AS is related to greater illicit use of sedatives in women but not in men. Women may be more susceptible to seek sedatives as a means of coping with unpleasant, anxious sensations. ..
- Stylopoulos N, Gazelle G, Rattner D. Paraesophageal hernias: operation or observation?. Ann Surg. 2002;236:492-500; discussion 500-1 pubmed
- Beeghly M, Martin B, Rose Jacobs R, Cabral H, Heeren T, Augustyn M, et al. Prenatal cocaine exposure and children's language functioning at 6 and 9.5 years: moderating effects of child age, birthweight, and gender. J Pediatr Psychol. 2006;31:98-115 pubmed..g., violence exposure) and protective factors (e.g., preschool experience) were related to language outcomes regardless of PCE status. Age, birthweight, and gender moderated the relation between PCE and school-aged children's language. ..
- Rudolph J, Zanin N, Jones R, Marcantonio E, Fong T, Yang F, et al. Hospitalization in community-dwelling persons with Alzheimer's disease: frequency and causes. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010;58:1542-8 pubmed publisher..With these results, clinicians may be able to identify dementia patients at high risk for hospitalization. ..
- North C, Christiani D. Women and lung cancer: what is new?. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013;25:87-94 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this review is to provide a concise summary of the literature on lung cancer as it pertains to women, with an emphasis on new areas of research and treatment options. ..
- Booth S, Broe K, Peterson J, Cheng D, Dawson Hughes B, Gundberg C, et al. Associations between vitamin K biochemical measures and bone mineral density in men and women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004;89:4904-9 pubmed..Clinical trials are required to isolate any putative effects of vitamin K on rates of bone loss. The target population in these trials, particularly in regard to estrogen use, may be critical, as suggested by the findings of this study. ..
- Gupta V, Yesilbursa D, Huang W, Aggarwal K, Gupta V, Gomez C, et al. Patent foramen ovale in a large population of ischemic stroke patients: diagnosis, age distribution, gender, and race. Echocardiography. 2008;25:217-27 pubmed publisher..There was no gender or racial difference in the prevalence of PFO, but there was a bimodal distribution in prevalence with age. ..
- Maslova E, Mora Plazas M, Forero Y, Lopez Arana S, Baylin A, Villamor E. Are vitamin A and iron deficiencies re-emerging in urban Latin America? A survey of schoolchildren in Bogota, Colombia. Food Nutr Bull. 2009;30:103-11 pubmed..The effect of improving vitamin A and iron status on physical growth and other functional outcomes needs to be further examined in this age group. ..
- Malhotra A, Huang Y, Fogel R, Pillar G, Edwards J, Kikinis R, et al. The male predisposition to pharyngeal collapse: importance of airway length. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002;166:1388-95 pubmed..This study suggests that the male predisposition to pharyngeal collapse is anatomically based, primarily as the result of an increased length of vulnerable airway as well as increased soft palate size. ..
- Jamison R, Fanciullo G, McHugo G, Baird J. Validation of the short-form interactive computerized quality of life scale (ICQOL-SF). Pain Med. 2007;8:243-50 pubmed..Additional studies are needed to determine the reliability and sensitivity to change of the ICQOL-SF. ..
- Abramson Z, Susarla S, Troulis M, Kaban L. Age-related changes of the upper airway assessed by 3-dimensional computed tomography. J Craniofac Surg. 2009;20 Suppl 1:657-63 pubmed publisher..Understanding differences in 3-D airway size and morphology by age may serve as a basis for evaluation of patients with obstructive sleep apnea and may help to predict and to evaluate outcomes of treatment...
- Izar B, Sequist L, Lee M, Muzikansky A, Heist R, Iafrate J, et al. The impact of EGFR mutation status on outcomes in patients with resected stage I non-small cell lung cancers. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013;96:962-8 pubmed publisher..Mutation of the EGFR gene is a positive prognostic marker in completely resected stage I NSCLC. ..
- Matura L, McDonough A, Carroll D. Symptom Interference Severity and Health-Related Quality of Life in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2016;51:25-32 pubmed publisher..The symptoms fatigue and SOB while lying down were associated with the HRQOL mental health summary scores. Patients with PAH are experiencing multiple symptoms that are interfering with their HRQOL and ability to function. ..