Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on iron in Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Locale: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
- Stoffman N, Brugnara C, Woods E. An algorithm using reticulocyte hemoglobin content (CHr) measurement in screening adolescents for iron deficiency. J Adolesc Health. 2005;36:529 pubmed
- Croft P, Reichard R. Microscopic examination of grossly unremarkable pediatric dura mater. Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 2009;30:10-3 pubmed publisher..Familiarity with the histologic features of pediatric dura mater is crucial for the correct interpretation true dura mater pathology. ..
- Ding Y, Fu Y, Lee J, Hooper D. Staphylococcus aureus NorD, a putative efflux pump coregulated with the Opp1 oligopeptide permease, contributes selectively to fitness in vivo. J Bacteriol. 2012;194:6586-93 pubmed publisher..Both norD and opp1 were upregulated in abscesses and iron-restricted culture medium and negatively regulated by Fur, but only NorD contributed to fitness in the murine abscess model. ..
- Singh A. Hemoglobin control, ESA resistance, and regular low-dose IV iron therapy: a review of the evidence. Semin Dial. 2009;22:64-9 pubmed publisher..This article reviews factors that affect Hb control, with a focus on management practices (e.g., regular low-dose administration of IV iron) that can help improve anemia management. ..
- Byrne S, Buckett P, Kim J, Luo F, Sanford J, Chen J, et al. Ferristatin II promotes degradation of transferrin receptor-1 in vitro and in vivo. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e70199 pubmed publisher..The observed hypoferremia promoted by degradation of TfR1 by ferristatin II appears to be due to induced hepcidin gene expression. ..
- Levitz S, Harrison T, Tabuni A, Liu X. Chloroquine induces human mononuclear phagocytes to inhibit and kill Cryptococcus neoformans by a mechanism independent of iron deprivation. J Clin Invest. 1997;100:1640-6 pubmed..neoformans by iron-independent, pH-dependent mechanisms and is therapeutic in murine models of cryptococcosis. Chloroquine might have clinical utility for the prophylaxis and treatment of human cryptococcosis. ..
- Hidalgo E, Demple B. Activation of SoxR-dependent transcription in vitro by noncatalytic or NifS-mediated assembly of [2Fe-2S] clusters into apo-SoxR. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:7269-72 pubmed..Catalytic generation of [2Fe-2S]-containing SoxR could allow for rapid activation of this transcription factor in vivo. ..
- Nairz M, Theurl I, Swirski F, Weiss G. "Pumping iron"-how macrophages handle iron at the systemic, microenvironmental, and cellular levels. Pflugers Arch. 2017;469:397-418 pubmed publisher..This review provides a brief overview of systemic, microenvironmental, and cellular aspects of macrophage iron handling with a focus on exciting and unresolved questions in the field. ..
- Tabor S, Richardson C. Selective oxidation of the exonuclease domain of bacteriophage T7 DNA polymerase. J Biol Chem. 1987;262:15330-3 pubmed
- Donovan A, Brownlie A, Zhou Y, Shepard J, Pratt S, Moynihan J, et al. Positional cloning of zebrafish ferroportin1 identifies a conserved vertebrate iron exporter. Nature. 2000;403:776-81 pubmed..We propose that Ferroportin1 function may be perturbed in mammalian disorders of iron deficiency or overload. ..
- Hidalgo E, Ding H, Demple B. Redox signal transduction: mutations shifting [2Fe-2S] centers of the SoxR sensor-regulator to the oxidized form. Cell. 1997;88:121-9 pubmed..These results link in vitro and in vivo approaches showing novel redox regulation that couples an iron-sulfur oxidation state to promoter activation. ..
- Leu B, Ching T, Zhao J, Sturhahn W, Alp E, Sage J. Vibrational dynamics of iron in cytochrome C. J Phys Chem B. 2009;113:2193-200 pubmed publisher..We consider the possibility that the 372 cm(-1) band in reduced cyt c involves the Fe-S(Met80) bond...
- Wingert R, Galloway J, Barut B, Foott H, Fraenkel P, Axe J, et al. Deficiency of glutaredoxin 5 reveals Fe-S clusters are required for vertebrate haem synthesis. Nature. 2005;436:1035-39 pubmed..These findings uncover a connection between haem biosynthesis and Fe-S clusters, indicating that haemoglobin production in the differentiating red cell is regulated through Fe-S cluster assembly. ..
- Donovan A, Lima C, Pinkus J, Pinkus G, Zon L, Robine S, et al. The iron exporter ferroportin/Slc40a1 is essential for iron homeostasis. Cell Metab. 2005;1:191-200 pubmed..Intestine-specific inactivation of ferroportin confirmed that it is critical for intestinal iron absorption. These observations define the major sites of ferroportin activity and give insight into hemochromatosis. ..
- Faith J, Hayete B, Thaden J, Mogno I, Wierzbowski J, Cottarel G, et al. Large-scale mapping and validation of Escherichia coli transcriptional regulation from a compendium of expression profiles. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e8 pubmed..The compendium of expression data compiled in this study, coupled with RegulonDB, provides a valuable model system for further improvement of network inference algorithms using experimental data. ..
- Seyedsayamdost M, Traxler M, Zheng S, Kolter R, Clardy J. Structure and biosynthesis of amychelin, an unusual mixed-ligand siderophore from Amycolatopsis sp. AA4. J Am Chem Soc. 2011;133:11434-7 pubmed publisher..The iron binding affinity of amychelin was determined using EDTA competition assays, and a biosynthetic cluster was identified and annotated to provide a tentative biosynthetic scheme for amychelin. ..
- Chen X, Peng J, Cohen A, Nelson H, Nelson N, Hediger M. Yeast SMF1 mediates H(+)-coupled iron uptake with concomitant uncoupled cation currents. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:35089-94 pubmed..Interestingly, DCT1 also mediates Fe(2+)-activated uncoupled currents. We propose that uncoupled ion permeabilities in metal ion transporters protect cells from metal ion overload. ..
- Lipinski B, Pretorius E, Oberholzer H, van der Spuy W. Interaction of fibrin with red blood cells: the role of iron. Ultrastruct Pathol. 2012;36:79-84 pubmed publisher..It is suggested that future research on prevention and treatment of ischemic stroke and other thrombosis associated diseases should include testing of iron-chelating and hydroxyl radical-scavenging agents...
- Isanaka S, Spiegelman D, Aboud S, Manji K, Msamanga G, Willet W, et al. Post-natal anaemia and iron deficiency in HIV-infected women and the health and survival of their children. Matern Child Nutr. 2012;8:287-98 pubmed publisher..Efforts to reduce maternal anaemia and iron deficiency during pregnancy may need to be expanded to include the post-partum period. ..
- Canali S, Wang C, Zumbrennen Bullough K, Bayer A, Babitt J. Bone morphogenetic protein 2 controls iron homeostasis in mice independent of Bmp6. Am J Hematol. 2017;92:1204-1213 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate that in addition to BMP6, endothelial cell BMP2 has a non-redundant role in hepcidin regulation by iron. ..
- Kim D, Dai Y, Mundy C, Yang W, Oettinger M. Mutations of acidic residues in RAG1 define the active site of the V(D)J recombinase. Genes Dev. 1999;13:3070-80 pubmed..Our results support a model in which the RAG1 protein contains the active site of the V(D)J recombinase and are interpreted in light of predictions about the structure of RAG1. ..
- Dhe Paganon S, Shigeta R, Chi Y, Ristow M, Shoelson S. Crystal structure of human frataxin. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:30753-6 pubmed..These structural findings predict potential modes of protein-protein and protein-iron binding. ..
- Wessling Resnick M. Iron homeostasis and the inflammatory response. Annu Rev Nutr. 2010;30:105-22 pubmed publisher..Potential benefits of treatment to ameliorate the hypoferremic condition promoted by inflammation are also considered. ..
- Rogers M, Sexton J, DeCastro G, Calderwood S. Identification of an operon required for ferrichrome iron utilization in Vibrio cholerae. J Bacteriol. 2000;182:2350-3 pubmed..cholerae ferrichrome utilization genes are located adjacent and opposite in orientation to a gene encoding an ATP-binding cassette transporter homolog, but this gene, if disrupted, does not affect the utilization of ferrichrome in vitro...
- Hanai J, Mammoto T, Seth P, Mori K, Karumanchi S, Barasch J, et al. Lipocalin 2 diminishes invasiveness and metastasis of Ras-transformed cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:13641-7 pubmed..Lipocalin 2 action was enhanced by iron-siderophore. These data characterize lipocalin 2 as an epithelial inducer in Ras malignancy and a suppressor of metastasis. ..
- Kim J, Molina R, Donaghey T, Buckett P, Brain J, Wessling Resnick M. Influence of DMT1 and iron status on inflammatory responses in the lung. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2011;300:L659-65 pubmed publisher..Loss of DMT1 alters pulmonary responses necessary for lung homeostasis in the basal state and enhances LPS-induced inflammation and therefore would contribute to progression of lung injury. ..
- Chung J, Anderson S, Gwynn B, Deck K, Chen M, Langer N, et al. Iron regulatory protein-1 protects against mitoferrin-1-deficient porphyria. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:7835-43 pubmed publisher..Together, our data support a model whereby impaired mitochondrial [Fe-S] cluster biogenesis in Mfrn1(gt/gt) cells results in elevated IRP1 RNA-binding that attenuates ALAS2 mRNA translation and protoporphyrin accumulation. ..
- Lee B, Lobanov A, Marino S, Kaya A, Seravalli J, Hatfield D, et al. A 4-selenocysteine, 2-selenocysteine insertion sequence (SECIS) element methionine sulfoxide reductase from Metridium senile reveals a non-catalytic function of selenocysteines. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:18747-55 pubmed publisher..These data show that Sec residues may appear transiently in genes containing SECIS elements and be adapted for non-catalytic functions. ..
- Neumann C, Walsh C. Biosynthesis of (-)-(1S,2R)-allocoronamic acyl thioester by an Fe(II)-dependent halogenase and a cyclopropane-forming flavoprotein. J Am Chem Soc. 2008;130:14022-3 pubmed publisher..This work introduces a new monomer for potential incorporation into nonribosomal peptides and validates the unique strategy for its biosynthesis. ..
- Hidalgo E, Bollinger J, Bradley T, Walsh C, Demple B. Binuclear [2Fe-2S] clusters in the Escherichia coli SoxR protein and role of the metal centers in transcription. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:20908-14 pubmed..However, lowering the thiol concentration by dilution allowed spontaneous regeneration of active Fe-SoxR. ..
- Goswami T, Andrews N. Hereditary hemochromatosis protein, HFE, interaction with transferrin receptor 2 suggests a molecular mechanism for mammalian iron sensing. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:28494-8 pubmed..We propose a new model for the mechanism of iron status sensing that results in the regulation of iron homeostasis. ..
- Maslova E, Mora Plazas M, Forero Y, Lopez Arana S, Baylin A, Villamor E. Are vitamin A and iron deficiencies re-emerging in urban Latin America? A survey of schoolchildren in Bogota, Colombia. Food Nutr Bull. 2009;30:103-11 pubmed..The effect of improving vitamin A and iron status on physical growth and other functional outcomes needs to be further examined in this age group. ..
- Deborah Chirnomas S, Geukes Foppen M, Barry K, Braunstein J, Kalish L, Neufeld E, et al. Practical implications of liver and heart iron load assessment by T2*-MRI in children and adults with transfusion-dependent anemias. Am J Hematol. 2008;83:781-3 pubmed publisher..These findings were present in both adult and pediatric patients. We recommend therapeutic monitoring of iron burden by evaluation of both liver and myocardial iron with T2*-MRI...
- Barisani D, Berg C, Wessling Resnick M, Gollan J. Evidence for a low Km transporter for non-transferrin-bound iron in isolated rat hepatocytes. Am J Physiol. 1995;269:G570-6 pubmed..These data provide evidence for a low Km plasma membrane transporter for NTBI, which should be functional at physiological serum concentrations and saturated in iron-overload diseases, such as hemochromatosis. ..
- Levy J, Jin O, Fujiwara Y, Kuo F, Andrews N. Transferrin receptor is necessary for development of erythrocytes and the nervous system. Nat Genet. 1999;21:396-9 pubmed..Mice lacking Trfr have a more severe phenotype than hpx mice, affecting both erythropoiesis and neurologic development. Furthermore, haploinsufficiency for Trfr results in impaired erythroid development and abnormal iron homeostasis. ..
- Lim J, Jin O, Bennett C, Morgan K, Wang F, Trenor C, et al. A mutation in Sec15l1 causes anemia in hemoglobin deficit (hbd) mice. Nat Genet. 2005;37:1270-3 pubmed..Determining the molecular basis of the hbd phenotype provides new insight into the intricate mechanisms necessary for normal erythroid iron uptake and the function of a mammalian exocyst protein. ..
- Panchenko M, Farber H, Korn J. Induction of heme oxygenase-1 by hypoxia and free radicals in human dermal fibroblasts. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2000;278:C92-C101 pubmed..We hypothesize that exposure of SSc fibroblasts to hypoxic conditions leads to in vivo selective proliferation of cells that adapt to hypoxia...
- Rolfs A, Bonkovsky H, Kohlroser J, McNeal K, Sharma A, Berger U, et al. Intestinal expression of genes involved in iron absorption in humans. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2002;282:G598-607 pubmed..The lack of appropriate downregulation of apical and basolateral iron transporters in duodenum likely leads to excessive iron absorption in persons with HHC. ..
- Hopkins M, Ettinger A, Hernandez Avila M, Schwartz J, Tellez Rojo M, Lamadrid Figueroa H, et al. Variants in iron metabolism genes predict higher blood lead levels in young children. Environ Health Perspect. 2008;116:1261-6 pubmed publisher..The joint presence of variant alleles in the HFE and TF genes showed the greatest effect, suggesting a gene-by-gene-by-environment interaction. ..
- Fleming M, Trenor C, Su M, Foernzler D, Beier D, Dietrich W, et al. Microcytic anaemia mice have a mutation in Nramp2, a candidate iron transporter gene. Nat Genet. 1997;16:383-6 pubmed..Nramp2 is homologous to Nramp1, a gene activa in host defense. If Nramp2 is mk, as the cumulative evidence suggests, our findings have broad implications for the understanding of iron transport and resistance to intracellular pathogens. ..
- Barbosa T, Levy S. Differential expression of over 60 chromosomal genes in Escherichia coli by constitutive expression of MarA. J Bacteriol. 2000;182:3467-74 pubmed..Northern blot analysis of selected genes confirmed the results obtained with the macroarrays. The findings reveal that the mar locus mediates a global stress response involving one of the largest networks of genes described. ..
- Fraenkel P, Traver D, Donovan A, Zahrieh D, Zon L. Ferroportin1 is required for normal iron cycling in zebrafish. J Clin Invest. 2005;115:1532-41 pubmed
- Elorza A, Hyde B, Mikkola H, Collins S, Shirihai O. UCP2 modulates cell proliferation through the MAPK/ERK pathway during erythropoiesis and has no effect on heme biosynthesis. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:30461-70 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that UCP2 is a regulator of erythropoiesis and suggests that inhibition of UCP2 function may contribute to the development of anemia. ..
- Knutson M, Levy J, Andrews N, Wessling Resnick M. Expression of stimulator of Fe transport is not enhanced in Hfe knockout mice. J Nutr. 2001;131:1459-64 pubmed..Important distinctions between Hfe(-/-) mice and HH patients include not only differences in the relative rate and magnitude of iron loading but also the lack of fibrosis and phlebotomy treatment in the knockout animals. ..
- Roy C, Custodio A, de Graaf J, Schneider S, Akpan I, Montross L, et al. An Hfe-dependent pathway mediates hyposideremia in response to lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammation in mice. Nat Genet. 2004;36:481-5 pubmed..These data suggest a previously unidentified role for Hfe in innate immunity and ACD. ..
- Ohgami R, Campagna D, Greer E, Antiochos B, McDonald A, Chen J, et al. Identification of a ferrireductase required for efficient transferrin-dependent iron uptake in erythroid cells. Nat Genet. 2005;37:1264-9 pubmed..Taken together, these findings indicate that Steap3 is an endosomal ferrireductase required for efficient Tf-dependent iron uptake in erythroid cells. ..
- Shaw G, Cope J, Li L, Corson K, Hersey C, Ackermann G, et al. Mitoferrin is essential for erythroid iron assimilation. Nature. 2006;440:96-100 pubmed..Our data show that mfrn functions as the principal mitochondrial iron importer essential for haem biosynthesis in vertebrate erythroblasts...
- Qi L, Meigs J, Manson J, Ma J, Hunter D, Rifai N, et al. HFE genetic variability, body iron stores, and the risk of type 2 diabetes in U.S. women. Diabetes. 2005;54:3567-72 pubmed..Our data indicate significant effects of H63D and C282Y on body iron stores and suggest a potential interaction between HFE genotypes and heme iron intake in relation to the risk of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Stankiewicz J, Brass S. Role of iron in neurotoxicity: a cause for concern in the elderly?. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2009;12:22-9 pubmed publisher..A potential implication is that disease-modifying therapies aimed at removing excess iron may one day be part of the armamentarium employed by clinicians to decrease the burden of neurodegenerative diseases in the elderly. ..
- Munro H, Aziz N, Leibold E, Murray M, Rogers J, Vass J, et al. The ferritin genes: structure, expression, and regulation. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1988;526:113-23 pubmed
- Nakaminami H, Chen C, Truong Bolduc Q, Kim E, Wang Y, Hooper D. Efflux Transporter of Siderophore Staphyloferrin A in Staphylococcus aureus Contributes to Bacterial Fitness in Abscesses and Epithelial Cells. Infect Immun. 2017;85: pubmed publisher..aureus to replicate in abscesses and epithelial cells. Furthermore, fitness of S. aureus in these sites of replication is not compromised by the absence of transporter SbnD. ..
- Mellin J, Goswami S, Grogan S, Tjaden B, Genco C. A novel fur- and iron-regulated small RNA, NrrF, is required for indirect fur-mediated regulation of the sdhA and sdhC genes in Neisseria meningitidis. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:3686-94 pubmed..This study is the first report of small RNAs in N. meningitidis and the first to use a bioinformatics approach to identify, a priori, regulatory targets of a small RNA. ..
- Gutierrez J, Yu J, Rivera S, Wessling Resnick M. Functional expression cloning and characterization of SFT, a stimulator of Fe transport. J Cell Biol. 1997;139:895-905 pubmed..SFT is the first component of the mammalian Fe membrane transport machinery to be identified. ..
- Hollenhorst M, Bumpus S, Matthews M, Bollinger J, Kelleher N, Walsh C. The nonribosomal peptide synthetase enzyme DdaD tethers N(?)-fumaramoyl-l-2,3-diaminopropionate for Fe(II)/?-ketoglutarate-dependent epoxidation by DdaC during dapdiamide antibiotic biosynthesis. J Am Chem Soc. 2010;132:15773-81 pubmed publisher..After hydrolytic release, N(?)-epoxysuccinamoyl-DAP can be ligated to l-valine by the ATP-dependent ligase DdaF to form the natural antibiotic N(?)-epoxysuccinamoyl-DAP-Val...
- Andrews N. Iron deficiency: lessons from anemic mice. Yale J Biol Med. 1997;70:219-26 pubmed..We have undertaken positional cloning of the gene responsible for microcytic anemia (gene symbol mk). This report describes the important characteristics of these mice, and our progress in studying them. ..
- Lewis G, Malhotra R, Hernandez A, McNulty S, Smith A, Felker G, et al. Effect of Oral Iron Repletion on Exercise Capacity in Patients With Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction and Iron Deficiency: The IRONOUT HF Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2017;317:1958-1966 pubmed publisher..However, the efficacy of inexpensive readily available oral iron supplementation in heart failure is unknown...
- Chen Y, Drysdale J. Detection of iron binding proteins by a blotting technique. Anal Biochem. 1993;212:47-9 pubmed..This binding is specific and is not affected by other metal ions. The method has allowed identification of new iron binding proteins in intestinal mucosa and in Hela cells. ..
- Vaillancourt F, Yeh E, Vosburg D, O Connor S, Walsh C. Cryptic chlorination by a non-haem iron enzyme during cyclopropyl amino acid biosynthesis. Nature. 2005;436:1191-4 pubmed publisher..Together, CmaB and CmaC execute gamma-halogenation followed by intramolecular gamma-elimination, in which biological chlorination is a cryptic strategy for cyclopropyl ring formation...
- Shanmugam N, Ellenbogen S, Trebicka E, Wang L, Mukhopadhyay S, Lacy Hulbert A, et al. Tumor necrosis factor Î± inhibits expression of the iron regulating hormone hepcidin in murine models of innate colitis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38136 pubmed publisher..This inhibitory effect of TNFÎ± may be superseded by other factors in the context of T cell-mediated colitis given that in the latter form of intestinal inflammation hepcidin is usually up-regulated. ..
- Gunshin H, Mackenzie B, Berger U, Gunshin Y, Romero M, Boron W, et al. Cloning and characterization of a mammalian proton-coupled metal-ion transporter. Nature. 1997;388:482-8 pubmed..DCT1 is a member of the 'natural-resistance-associated macrophage protein' (Nramp) family and thus its properties provide insight into how these proteins confer resistance to pathogens. ..
- Peters L, Andrews N, Eicher E, Davidson M, Orkin S, Lux S. Mouse microcytic anaemia caused by a defect in the gene encoding the globin enhancer-binding protein NF-E2. Nature. 1993;362:768-70 pubmed..We propose that the mk mutation results in an impaired form of NF-E2 which fails to regulate both globin production and iron metabolism properly. ..
- GALONIC D, Barr E, Walsh C, Bollinger J, Krebs C. Two interconverting Fe(IV) intermediates in aliphatic chlorination by the halogenase CytC3. Nat Chem Biol. 2007;3:113-6 pubmed..The demonstration that chlorination proceeds through an Fe(IV) intermediate that cleaves a C-H bond reveals the mechanistic similarity of aliphatic halogenases to the iron- and alphaKG-dependent hydroxylases. ..
- Corradini E, Schmidt P, Meynard D, Garuti C, Montosi G, Chen S, et al. BMP6 treatment compensates for the molecular defect and ameliorates hemochromatosis in Hfe knockout mice. Gastroenterology. 2010;139:1721-9 pubmed publisher..Exogenous BMP6 treatment in mice compensates for the molecular defect underlying Hfe hemochromatosis, and BMP6-like agonists may have a role as an alternative therapeutic strategy for this disease. ..
- Butterton J, Choi M, Watnick P, Carroll P, Calderwood S. Vibrio cholerae VibF is required for vibriobactin synthesis and is a member of the family of nonribosomal peptide synthetases. J Bacteriol. 2000;182:1731-8 pubmed..The protein product of vibF is homologous to the multifunctional nonribosomal protein synthetases and is necessary for the biosynthesis of vibriobactin. ..
- Chung J, Chen C, Paw B. Heme metabolism and erythropoiesis. Curr Opin Hematol. 2012;19:156-62 pubmed publisher..The identification of heme and iron transport mechanisms will improve our understanding of blood development and provide new insight into human blood disorders. ..
- Tabatabaei S, Harisinghani M, McDougal W. Regional lymph node staging using lymphotropic nanoparticle enhanced magnetic resonance imaging with ferumoxtran-10 in patients with penile cancer. J Urol. 2005;174:923-7; discussion 927 pubmed..Lymph node scanning using LNMRI accurately predicts the pathological status of regional lymph nodes in patients with cancer of the penis. LNMRI may accurately triage patients for regional lymphadenectomy. ..
- Andrews N. Anemia of inflammation: the cytokine-hepcidin link. J Clin Invest. 2004;113:1251-3 pubmed..It now appears that the inflammatory cytokine IL-6 induces production of hepcidin, an iron-regulatory hormone that may be responsible for most or all of the features of this disorder. ..