Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on intraocular pressure in Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Locale: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Topic: intraocular pressure
- Shingleton B, Marvin A, Heier J, O Donoghue M, Laul A, Wolff B, et al. Pseudoexfoliation: High risk factors for zonule weakness and concurrent vitrectomy during phacoemulsification. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2010;36:1261-9 pubmed publisher..No author has a financial or proprietary interest in any material or method mentioned. ..
- Lee G, Goldberg R, Heier J. ENDOSCOPY-ASSISTED VITRECTOMY AND MEMBRANE DISSECTION OF ANTERIOR PROLIFERATIVE VITREORETINOPATHY FOR CHRONIC HYPOTONY AFTER PREVIOUS RETINAL DETACHMENT REPAIR. Retina. 2016;36:1058-63 pubmed publisher..The IOP improved in patients who tended to be younger and who had fewer previous intraocular surgeries. Further study is indicated to evaluate long-term outcomes and predictors of surgical success. ..
- Chae B, Cakiner Egilmez T, Desai M. Glaucoma medications. Insight. 2013;38:5-9; quiz 10 pubmed..Oral CAIs are often indicated for patients with elevated IOP in an acute setting or for patients resistant to other glaucoma medications and patients who are not good surgical candidates. ..
- Pasquale L, Willett W, Rosner B, Kang J. Anthropometric measures and their relation to incident primary open-angle glaucoma. Ophthalmology. 2010;117:1521-9 pubmed publisher..0001). Among women, higher BMI was associated with a lower risk of POAG with IOP of 21 mmHg or less at diagnosis. The factors contributing to this tendency may yield insight into the pathogenesis of POAG. ..
- Shingleton B, Laul A, Nagao K, Wolff B, O Donoghue M, Eagan E, et al. Effect of phacoemulsification on intraocular pressure in eyes with pseudoexfoliation: single-surgeon series. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2008;34:1834-41 pubmed publisher..Glaucoma progression in both groups was low, suggesting a protective effect of phacoemulsification on IOP in these eyes. ..
- Huang W, Fileta J, Filippopoulos T, Ray A, Dobberfuhl A, Grosskreutz C. Hsp27 phosphorylation in experimental glaucoma. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007;48:4129-35 pubmed..In addition, a significant increase occurred in Hsp27 phosphorylation with elevated IOP in both models of glaucoma. IHC studies show that the increases in Hsp27 and pHsp27 occur primarily in glial cells. ..
- Ojha P, Wiggs J, Pasquale L. The genetics of intraocular pressure. Semin Ophthalmol. 2013;28:301-5 pubmed publisher..A further study identifying additional genes contributing to IOP will be necessary to fully define the underlying genetic architecture of IOP. ..
- Jea S, Francis B, Vakili G, Filippopoulos T, Rhee D. Ab interno trabeculectomy versus trabeculectomy for open-angle glaucoma. Ophthalmology. 2012;119:36-42 pubmed publisher..5%) than after trabeculectomy (10.8%, P<0.001). Ab interno trabeculectomy has a lower success rate than trabeculectomy. Proprietary or commercial disclosure may be found after the references. ..
- Chatterjee A, Villarreal G, Oh D, Kang M, Rhee D. AMP-activated protein kinase regulates intraocular pressure, extracellular matrix, and cytoskeleton in trabecular meshwork. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014;55:3127-39 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data identify AMPK as a critical regulator of ECM homeostasis and cytoskeletal arrangement in the TM. Mice that are AMPK?2-null exhibit higher IOPs and decreased aqueous clearance than their WT counterparts. ..
- Wiggs J, Pawlyk B, Connolly E, Adamian M, Miller J, Pasquale L, et al. Disruption of the blood-aqueous barrier and lens abnormalities in mice lacking lysyl oxidase-like 1 (LOXL1). Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014;55:856-64 pubmed publisher..These results show that mice lacking LOXL1 have some ES features but that complete disease manifestation requires other factors that could be genetic and/or environmental. ..
- Buys E, Ko Y, Alt C, Hayton S, Jones A, Tainsh L, et al. Soluble guanylate cyclase ?1-deficient mice: a novel murine model for primary open angle glaucoma. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e60156 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insights into the pathogenesis and genetics of POAG and suggest new therapeutic strategies for POAG. ..
- Salim S, Shields M, Walton D. Iridocorneal endothelial syndrome in a child. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2006;43:308-10 pubmed..We report its occurrence in a child who presented with glaucoma. The patient required glaucoma surgery, and a goniotomy and trabeculectomy were performed. The patient's clinical findings and the results of surgeries are described...
- Kang J, Wiggs J, Rosner B, Haines J, Abdrabou W, Pasquale L. Endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene variants and primary open-angle glaucoma: interactions with hypertension, alcohol intake, and cigarette smoking. Arch Ophthalmol. 2011;129:773-80 pubmed publisher..004). Interactions were not observed with alcohol intake. The associations between hypertension and cigarette smoking in relation to POAG depended on NOS3 SNPs. ..
- Khoueir Z, Jassim F, Poon L, Tsikata E, Ben David G, Liu Y, et al. Diagnostic Capability of Peripapillary Three-dimensional Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer Volume for Glaucoma Using Optical Coherence Tomography Volume Scans. Am J Ophthalmol. 2017;182:180-193 pubmed publisher..Peripapillary 3D RNFL volume parameters have the same or better diagnostic capability compared to peripapillary 2D RNFL thickness measurements, although differences were not statistically significant. ..
- Yi D, Rashid S, Cibas E, Arrigg P, Dana M. Acute unilateral leukemic hypopyon in an adult with relapsing acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Am J Ophthalmol. 2005;139:719-21 pubmed..To report acute unilateral hypopyon uveitis as an initial presenting feature of relapsing acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) in an adult patient...
- Roh M, Zhang Y, Murakami Y, Thanos A, Lee S, Vavvas D, et al. Etanercept, a widely used inhibitor of tumor necrosis factor-? (TNF-?), prevents retinal ganglion cell loss in a rat model of glaucoma. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40065 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a new treatment strategy for glaucoma using TNF-? antagonists or suppressors of inflammation. ..
- Shingleton B, Campbell C, O Donoghue M. Effects of pupil stretch technique during phacoemulsification on postoperative vision, intraocular pressure, and inflammation. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2006;32:1142-5 pubmed..To determine whether pupil stretch during phacoemulsification affects postoperative best corrected visual acuity (BCVA), intraocular pressure (IOP), and inflammation compared with results in patients without pupil stretch...
- Calera M, Wang Z, Sanchez Olea R, Paul D, Civan M, Goodenough D. Depression of intraocular pressure following inactivation of connexin43 in the nonpigmented epithelium of the ciliary body. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:2185-93 pubmed publisher..The importance of Cx43 expression in the nonpigmented epithelium for the establishment of gap junctions and the regulation of intraocular pressure was tested...
- Muenster S, Lieb W, Fabry G, Allen K, Kamat S, Guy A, et al. The Ability of Nitric Oxide to Lower Intraocular Pressure Is Dependent on Guanylyl Cyclase. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:4826-4835 pubmed publisher..NO activates the enzyme guanylyl cyclase (GC) to produce cyclic guanosine monophosphate. We studied the ocular effects of inhaled and topically applied NO gas in mice and lambs, respectively...
- Solheim M, Clermont A, Winnay J, Hallstensen E, Molven A, NjÃ¸lstad P, et al. Iris Malformation and Anterior Segment Dysgenesis in Mice and Humans With a Mutation in PI 3-Kinase. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:3100-3106 pubmed publisher..A dominant-negative mutation in the p85Î± regulatory subunit of PI3K affects development of the iris, and contributes to changes consistent with anterior segment dysgenesis in both humans and mice. ..
- Loomis S, Kang J, Weinreb R, Yaspan B, Cooke Bailey J, Gaasterland D, et al. Association of CAV1/CAV2 genomic variants with primary open-angle glaucoma overall and by gender and pattern of visual field loss. Ophthalmology. 2014;121:508-16 pubmed publisher..These data support a role for caveolin 1, caveolin 2, or both in POAG and suggest that the caveolins particularly may affect POAG pathogenesis in women and in patients with early paracentral VF defects. ..
- Walton D, Nagao K, Yeung H, Kane S. Late-recognized primary congenital glaucoma. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2013;50:234-8 pubmed publisher..To describe a cohort of children with late-recognized primary congenital glaucoma (LRPCG), including age of presentation, age-related diagnostic signs, clinical abnormalities, and results of glaucoma surgery...
- Pasquale L, Loomis S, Kang J, Yaspan B, Abdrabou W, Budenz D, et al. CDKN2B-AS1 genotype-glaucoma feature correlations in primary open-angle glaucoma patients from the United States. Am J Ophthalmol. 2013;155:342-353.e5 pubmed publisher..84, -0.29; P = 6.55E-05). Alleles of CDKN2B-AS1 SNPs, which influence risk of developing POAG, also modulate optic nerve degeneration among POAG patients, underscoring the role of CDKN2B-AS1 in POAG. ..
- Kang J, Wiggs J, Rosner B, Hankinson S, Abdrabou W, Fan B, et al. Endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene variants and primary open-angle glaucoma: interactions with sex and postmenopausal hormone use. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:971-9 pubmed publisher..Interactions were observed between NOS3 SNPs and female sex and postmenopausal hormone use in the women in relation to HTPOAG. These findings should be confirmed in different racial/ethnic groups. ..
- Kroll D, Schuman J. Reactivation of herpes simplex virus keratitis after initiating bimatoprost treatment for glaucoma. Am J Ophthalmol. 2002;133:401-3 pubmed..To report a case of herpes simplex virus reactivation after starting bimatoprost treatment for glaucoma...
- Schwartz B, Rom M. Enhanced ocular hypotensive response to timolol in rabbits with prior dexamethasone treatment. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2001;17:27-33 pubmed..This synergism between glucocorticoids and beta-adrenergic blockers in lowering IOP may be potentially useful in the therapy of ocular hypertension and glaucoma...
- Wei X, Yu Z, Cho K, Chen H, Malik M, Chen X, et al. Neuroglobin is an endogenous neuroprotectant for retinal ganglion cells against glaucomatous damage. Am J Pathol. 2011;179:2788-97 pubmed publisher..Thus, NGB may modulate RGC susceptibility to glaucomatous neural damage. Manipulating the expression and bioactivity of NGB may represent a novel therapeutic strategy for glaucoma. ..
- Degoricija L, Johnson C, Wathier M, Kim T, Grinstaff M. Photo cross-linkable Biodendrimers as ophthalmic adhesives for central lacerations and penetrating keratoplasties. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007;48:2037-42 pubmed..The leaking pressures were determined for these adhesives when used to seal 4.1-mm central lacerations and penetrating keratoplasties (PKPs) in enucleated porcine eyes...
- Hark L, Katz L, Myers J, Waisbourd M, Johnson D, Pizzi L, et al. Philadelphia Telemedicine Glaucoma Detection and Follow-up Study: Methods and Screening Results. Am J Ophthalmol. 2017;181:114-124 pubmed publisher..An integrated telemedicine screening intervention in primary care offices and Federally Qualified Health Centers detected high rate of suspicious optic nerves, ocular hypertension, and retinal pathology. ..