Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Locale: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Publications2374 found, 100 shown here
- Mondul A, Giovannucci E, Platz E. A prospective study of obesity, and the incidence and progression of lower urinary tract symptoms. J Urol. 2014;191:715-21 pubmed publisher..Our findings support the notion that obesity may be an important target for lower urinary tract symptom prevention and intervention. ..
- Chang J, Xu Y, Raychowdhury M, Ware J. Molecular cloning and expression of a cDNA encoding a novel isoenzyme of protein kinase C (nPKC). A new member of the nPKC family expressed in skeletal muscle, megakaryoblastic cells, and platelets. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:14208-14 pubmed..These findings extend the PKC family and suggest a novel approach to the study of diversity within this pathway of intracellular signal transduction. ..
- Sidis Y, Fujiwara T, Leykin L, Isaacson K, Toth T, Schneyer A. Characterization of inhibin/activin subunit, activin receptor, and follistatin messenger ribonucleic acid in human and mouse oocytes: evidence for activin's paracrine signaling from granulosa cells to oocytes. Biol Reprod. 1998;59:807-12 pubmed..Taken together with previous studies, these results indicate that oocytes may be capable of responding to, but not synthesizing, activin. ..
- Casiglia J, Woo S. A comprehensive review of oral cancer. Gen Dent. 2001;49:72-82 pubmed..It is imperative that all dental professionals perform a simple head and neck examination in addition to an oral examination during each new patient visit and each six-month recall appointment. Early detection saves lives...
- Zeng M, Kumar A, Meng G, Gao Q, Dimri G, Wazer D, et al. Human papilloma virus 16 E6 oncoprotein inhibits retinoic X receptor-mediated transactivation by targeting human ADA3 coactivator. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:45611-8 pubmed..Significantly, we demonstrate that E6 inhibits the RXR(alpha)-mediated transactivation of target genes, implying that perturbation of RXR-mediated transactivation by E6 could contribute to HPV oncogenesis. ..
- Gonzalez D, Tzianabos A, Genco C, Gibson F. Immunization with Porphyromonas gingivalis capsular polysaccharide prevents P. gingivalis-elicited oral bone loss in a murine model. Infect Immun. 2003;71:2283-7 pubmed..The mice immunized with P. gingivalis CPS were protected from P. gingivalis-elicited oral bone loss. These data demonstrate that P. gingivalis CPS is a vaccine candidate for prevention of P. gingivalis-elicited oral bone loss. ..
- Ogino S, Gao S, Leonard D, Paessler M, Wilson R. Inverse correlation between SMN1 and SMN2 copy numbers: evidence for gene conversion from SMN2 to SMN1. Eur J Hum Genet. 2003;11:275-7 pubmed..In conclusion, our data provide evidence that gene conversion from SMN2 to SMN1 occurs, and that SMN1 converted from SMN2 is present in the general population. ..
- Mantzoros C, Petridou E, Dessypris N, Chavelas C, Dalamaga M, Alexe D, et al. Adiponectin and breast cancer risk. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004;89:1102-7 pubmed..Future studies are needed to prove causality and provide further insights into both the mechanisms underlying the actions of this hormone and its potential role in breast cancer. ..
- Brown J, Rodin D, Lee B, Dahl D. Transperitoneal versus extraperitoneal approach to laparoscopic radical prostatectomy: an assessment of 156 cases. Urology. 2005;65:320-4 pubmed..22). However, the latter may have been the result of improved detection. Also, it was easier to manage using the EP-LRP approach. ..
- DeMeo D, Campbell E, Brantly M, Barker A, Eden E, McElvaney N, et al. Heritability of lung function in severe alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency. Hum Hered. 2009;67:38-45 pubmed publisher..Correction for ascertainment and consideration of gene-by-smoking interactions will be crucial for the identification of genes that may modify susceptibility for COPD in families with AAT deficiency. ..
- Zachariah J, Pigula F, Mayer J, McElhinney D. Right ventricle to pulmonary artery conduit augmentation compared with replacement in young children. Ann Thorac Surg. 2009;88:574-80 pubmed publisher..Freedom from a second conduit reoperation after a first conduit replacement was shorter in smaller children and undersized conduits. Conduit augmentation offers similar clinical outcomes in selected patients. ..
- Tu D, Li Y, Song H, Toms A, Gould C, Ficarro S, et al. Crystal structure of a coiled-coil domain from human ROCK I. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18080 pubmed publisher..We speculate that this conserved irregularity could function as a hinge that allows ROCK to adopt its autoinhibited conformation. ..
- Bick A, Flannick J, Ito K, Cheng S, Vasan R, Parfenov M, et al. Burden of rare sarcomere gene variants in the Framingham and Jackson Heart Study cohorts. Am J Hum Genet. 2012;91:513-9 pubmed publisher..3) in the FHS cohort, suggesting that cardiovascular risk assessment in the general population can benefit from rare variant analysis. ..
- Sanderson A, Hall A, Wolfe J. Advance Care Discussions: Pediatric Clinician Preparedness and Practices. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2016;51:520-8 pubmed publisher..Educational interventions aimed at improving clinician knowledge, attitudes, and behavior, and greater clinician support may enhance health care provider ACD preparedness and skills. ..
- Bogart L, Babey S, Patel A, Wang P, Schuster M. Lunchtime School Water Availability and Water Consumption Among California Adolescents. J Adolesc Health. 2016;58:98-103 pubmed publisher..Future research should explore what supports and inducements might facilitate provision of drinking water during school mealtimes. ..
- Bouma W, Lai E, Levack M, Shang E, Pouch A, Eperjesi T, et al. Preoperative Three-Dimensional Valve Analysis Predicts Recurrent Ischemic Mitral Regurgitation After Mitral Annuloplasty. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016;101:567-75; discussion 575 pubmed publisher..In patients with a preoperative P3 tethering angle of 29.9Â° or larger, chordal-sparing valve replacement rather than valve repair should be strongly considered. ..
- Hulsmans M, Clauss S, Xiao L, Aguirre A, King K, Hanley A, et al. Macrophages Facilitate Electrical Conduction in the Heart. Cell. 2017;169:510-522.e20 pubmed publisher..In the Cd11bDTR mouse, macrophage ablation induces progressive atrioventricular block. These observations implicate macrophages in normal and aberrant cardiac conduction. ..
- Laíns I, Miller J, Park D, Tsikata E, Davoudi S, Rahmani S, et al. Structural Changes Associated with Delayed Dark Adaptation in Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Ophthalmology. 2017;124:1340-1352 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a significant association between macular morphology evaluated by OCT and time to dark-adapt. Subretinal drusenoid deposits and ellipsoid zone changes seem to be strongly associated with impaired dark adaptation. ..
- Thorolfsdottir R, Sveinbjörnsson G, Sulem P, Helgadottir A, Gretarsdottir S, Benonisdottir S, et al. A Missense Variant in PLEC Increases Risk of Atrial Fibrillation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:2157-2168 pubmed publisher..The diverse associations between AF variants and ECG measurements suggest fundamentally different categories of mechanisms contributing to the development of AF. ..
- Schneider H, Prasad K, Shoelson S, Rudd C. CTLA-4 binding to the lipid kinase phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase in T cells. J Exp Med. 1995;181:351-5 pubmed..CTLA-4 binding to PI 3-kinase provides further evidence that CTLA-4 is not an inert counterreceptor, but rather is coupled to an intracellular signaling molecule with the capacity to regulate cell growth. ..
- Barber D, DeMartino J, Showers M, D Andrea A. A dominant negative erythropoietin (EPO) receptor inhibits EPO-dependent growth and blocks F-gp55-dependent transformation. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:2257-65 pubmed..In conclusion, the EPO-R(T) polypeptide is a dominant negative polypeptide which specifically interferes with the early stages of EPO-R-mediated signal transduction and which prevents Friend virus transformation of erythroblasts...
- Bhattacharya S, Eckner R, Grossman S, Oldread E, Arany Z, D ANDREA A, et al. Cooperation of Stat2 and p300/CBP in signalling induced by interferon-alpha. Nature. 1996;383:344-7 pubmed..This provides a new mechanism for inhibition of the IFN-alpha-activated antiviral response by E1A, and supports the view that E1A binding to p300/CBP has functional significance for adenovirus replication in its natural host. ..
- Pohl U, Smith J, Tachibana I, Ueki K, Lee H, Ramaswamy S, et al. EHD2, EHD3, and EHD4 encode novel members of a highly conserved family of EH domain-containing proteins. Genomics. 2000;63:255-62 pubmed..Mutation analysis of the five coding exons of EHD2 in gliomas failed to detect any tumor-specific alterations, thus indicating that EHD2 is an unlikely candidate for the 19q tumor suppressor gene. ..
- Pitsillides C, Joe E, Wei X, Anderson R, Lin C. Selective cell targeting with light-absorbing microparticles and nanoparticles. Biophys J. 2003;84:4023-32 pubmed..Subsequent irradiation with laser pulses will allow control of the implanted cells (inactivation or modulation) in a noninvasive manner. ..
- Newton A, Vandeven A. Unexplained infant and child death: a review of sudden infant death syndrome, sudden unexplained infant death, and child maltreatment fatalities including shaken baby syndrome. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2006;18:196-200 pubmed..This review will examine the most recent published literature on Sudden Infant Death, Sudden Unexplained Infant Death, infant and child death due to maltreatment, and Shaken Baby Syndrome...
- Zheng K, Martin S, Rashidifard C, Liu B, Brezinski M. In vivo micron-scale arthroscopic imaging of human knee osteoarthritis with optical coherence tomography: comparison with magnetic resonance imaging and arthroscopy. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2010;39:122-5 pubmed..Two-year MRI follow-ups are under way to quantitatively compare OCT with MRI and to assess the long-term outcomes of changes noted in the OCT images...
- Jakobiec F, Stacy R, Thakker M. Blue nevus of the tarsus as the predominant component of a combined nevus of the eyelid. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011;27:e94-6 pubmed publisher..While the current lesion was proved to be an atypical nevus, all palpebral pigmented lesions should be routinely excised because many are melanomas. ..
- Eum K, Nie L, Schwartz J, Vokonas P, Sparrow D, Hu H, et al. Prospective cohort study of lead exposure and electrocardiographic conduction disturbances in the Department of Veterans Affairs Normative Aging Study. Environ Health Perspect. 2011;119:940-4 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that low-level cumulative exposure to lead is associated with worse future cardiac conductivity in the ventricular myocardium, as reflected in QT interval characteristics. ..
- Marotta L, Almendro V, Marusyk A, Shipitsin M, Schemme J, Walker S, et al. The JAK2/STAT3 signaling pathway is required for growth of CD44?CD24? stem cell-like breast cancer cells in human tumors. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:2723-35 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight the differences between distinct breast cancer cell types and identify targets such as JAK2 and Stat3 that may lead to more specific and effective breast cancer therapies. ..
- Marcuschamer E, Tsukiyama T, Griffin T, Arguello E, Gallucci G, Magne P. Anatomical crown width/length ratios of worn and unworn maxillary teeth in Asian subjects. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2011;31:495-503 pubmed..The tooth dimensions presented in this investigation may serve as guidelines for treatment planning in restorative dentistry and periodontal surgery for this particular ethnic group. ..
- Hanak B, Zada G, Nayar V, Thiex R, Du R, Day A, et al. Cerebral aneurysms with intrasellar extension: a systematic review of clinical, anatomical, and treatment characteristics. J Neurosurg. 2012;116:164-78 pubmed publisher..Varying approaches exist for treating these complex aneurysms, and intervention strategies depend substantially on the anatomical subtype. ..
- Polak J, Tracy R, Harrington A, Zavodni A, O Leary D. Carotid artery plaque and progression of coronary artery calcium: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2013;26:548-55 pubmed publisher..001) with plaque and internal carotid artery IMT. In individuals free of cardiovascular disease, subjective and quantitative measures of carotid artery plaques by ultrasound imaging are associated with CAC incidence and progression. ..
- Karreth F, Pandolfi P. ceRNA cross-talk in cancer: when ce-bling rivalries go awry. Cancer Discov. 2013;3:1113-21 pubmed publisher..As cross-talk can be predicted on the basis of the overlap of miRNA-binding sites, we are now one step closer to a complete functionalization of the human transcriptome, especially the noncoding space. ..
- Ng M, Shriner D, Chen B, Li J, Chen W, Guo X, et al. Meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies in African Americans provides insights into the genetic architecture of type 2 diabetes. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004517 pubmed publisher..A substantial number of previously reported loci are transferable to African Americans after accounting for linkage disequilibrium, enabling fine mapping of causal variants in trans-ethnic meta-analysis studies. ..
- Li W, Cho E, Khalili H, Wu S, Chan A, Qureshi A. Rosacea, Use of Tetracycline, and Risk of Incident Inflammatory Bowel Disease in Women. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016;14:220-5.e1-3 pubmed publisher..On the basis of an analysis of data from the Nurses' Health Study II, ever use of tetracycline at baseline is associated with an increased risk of CD and UC. Personal history of rosacea is associated with an increased risk of only CD. ..
- Knihtila R, Holzapfel G, Weiss K, Meilleur F, Mattos C. Neutron Crystal Structure of RAS GTPase Puts in Question the Protonation State of the GTP Î³-Phosphate. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:31025-36 pubmed publisher..The neutron crystal structure presented here puts in question our understanding of the pre-catalytic state associated with the hydrolysis reaction central to the function of RAS and other GTPases. ..
- Hwang D, Sholl L, Rojas Rudilla V, Hall D, Shivdasani P, Garcia E, et al. KRAS and NKX2-1 Mutations in Invasive Mucinous Adenocarcinoma of the Lung. J Thorac Oncol. 2016;11:496-503 pubmed publisher..1) and expression of gastrointestinal markers. These findings describe recurrent NKX2-1 mutations in invasive mucinous adenocarcinomas of the lung and support NKX2-1 as a lineage-specific tumor suppressor gene in lung carcinogenesis. ..
- Shirra M, Zhu Q, Huang H, Pallas D, Hansen U. One exon of the human LSF gene includes conserved regions involved in novel DNA-binding and dimerization motifs. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:5076-87 pubmed..Mutations in one homology region, but not the other, functionally eliminated dimerization. ..
- Perry M, Christiani D, Mathew J, Degenhardt D, Tortorelli J, Strauss J, et al. Urinalysis of atrazine exposure in farm pesticide applicators. Toxicol Ind Health. 2000;16:285-90 pubmed..The results indicate that single field applications of atrazine result in measurable pesticide doses to applicators and that the choice of field assay should depend on the exposure product to be evaluated. ..
- Hochberg L, Serruya M, Friehs G, Mukand J, Saleh M, Caplan A, et al. Neuronal ensemble control of prosthetic devices by a human with tetraplegia. Nature. 2006;442:164-71 pubmed..These early results suggest that NMPs based upon intracortical neuronal ensemble spiking activity could provide a valuable new neurotechnology to restore independence for humans with paralysis...
- BOYNTON JARRETT R, Ryan L, Berkman L, Wright R. Cumulative violence exposure and self-rated health: longitudinal study of adolescents in the United States. Pediatrics. 2008;122:961-70 pubmed publisher..A strong graded association was noted between cumulative exposure to violence and poor self-rated health in adolescence and young adulthood. ..
- Krishnan R, Park C, Lin Y, Mead J, Jaspers R, Trepat X, et al. Reinforcement versus fluidization in cytoskeletal mechanoresponsiveness. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5486 pubmed publisher..Cytoskeletal softness and fragility, we argue, is consistent with early evolutionary adaptations of the eukaryotic cell to material properties of a soft inert microenvironment. ..
- Imudia A, Awonuga A, Doyle J, Kaimal A, Wright D, Toth T, et al. Peak serum estradiol level during controlled ovarian hyperstimulation is associated with increased risk of small for gestational age and preeclampsia in singleton pregnancies after in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril. 2012;97:1374-9 pubmed publisher..EPE(2) level (>3,450 pg/mL) on the day of hCG administration during COH is associated with greater odds of developing PreE and delivery of an SGA infant in singleton pregnancies resulting from IVF cycles. ..
- Hartshorne J, Germine L. When does cognitive functioning peak? The asynchronous rise and fall of different cognitive abilities across the life span. Psychol Sci. 2015;26:433-43 pubmed publisher..These findings motivate a nuanced theory of maturation and age-related decline, in which multiple, dissociable factors differentially affect different domains of cognition. ..
- Braun D, Schueler M, Halbritter J, Gee H, Porath J, Lawson J, et al. Whole exome sequencing identifies causative mutations in the majority of consanguineous or familial cases with childhood-onset increased renal echogenicity. Kidney Int. 2016;89:468-475 pubmed publisher..Thus, whole exome sequencing allows the detection of the causative mutation in 2/3 of affected individuals, thereby presenting the etiologic diagnosis, and allows identification of novel candidate genes. ..
- Sepulcre J, Grothe M, Sabuncu M, Chhatwal J, Schultz A, Hanseeuw B, et al. Hierarchical Organization of Tau and Amyloid Deposits in the Cerebral Cortex. JAMA Neurol. 2017;74:813-820 pubmed publisher..Because pathologic processes begin decades before the onset of the clinical manifestations, the study of the cortical distribution of early-stage pathologic alterations is critical in understanding the underpinnings of the disease...
- Toyoda N, Zavacki A, Maia A, Harney J, Larsen P. A novel retinoid X receptor-independent thyroid hormone response element is present in the human type 1 deiodinase gene. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:5100-12 pubmed..The TRE1 of hdio1 is the first example of a naturally occurring TRE consisting of two relatively independent octamer sequences which do not require the RXR family of proteins for function. ..
- Wasserman J, Delpire E, Tonidandel W, Kojima R, Gullans S. Molecular characterization of ROSIT, a renal osmotic stress-induced Na(+)-Cl(-)-organic solute cotransporter. Am J Physiol. 1994;267:F688-94 pubmed..Although its function remains unknown, ROSIT is likely to be involved in kidney reclamation of an organic osmolyte or osmolyte precursor required for adaptation to hypertonic stress...
- Mueller B. Cancers in children infected with the human immunodeficiency virus. Oncologist. 1999;4:309-17 pubmed..This article provides an overview of epidemiology and clinical and pathological presentations, as well as preliminary data regarding treatment options in children with HIV-associated malignancies...
- Gao Y, Lecker S, Post M, Hietaranta A, Li J, Volk R, et al. Inhibition of ubiquitin-proteasome pathway-mediated I kappa B alpha degradation by a naturally occurring antibacterial peptide. J Clin Invest. 2000;106:439-48 pubmed..PR39 and related peptides may provide novel means to regulate cellular function and to control of NF-kappa B-dependent gene expression for therapeutic purposes. ..
- Coyne M, Kalka Moll W, Tzianabos A, Kasper D, Comstock L. Bacteroides fragilis NCTC9343 produces at least three distinct capsular polysaccharides: cloning, characterization, and reassignment of polysaccharide B and C biosynthesis loci. Infect Immun. 2000;68:6176-81 pubmed..Although purified PS B can induce abscesses, removal of this polysaccharide does not attenuate the organism's ability to induce abscesses...
- Myatt T, Johnston S, Zuo Z, Wand M, Kebadze T, Rudnick S, et al. Detection of airborne rhinovirus and its relation to outdoor air supply in office environments. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004;169:1187-90 pubmed..These results suggest that occupants in buildings with low outdoor air supply may have an increased risk of exposure to infectious droplet nuclei emanating from a fellow building occupant. ..
- Chung J, Yoon S, Lipscomb E, Mercurio A. The Met receptor and alpha 6 beta 4 integrin can function independently to promote carcinoma invasion. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:32287-93 pubmed..These data argue that the invasive function of Met can be independent of alpha(6)beta(4) and that alpha(6)beta(4) has a generic influence on the invasion of carcinoma cells that is not specific to Met. ..
- Nascimento A, Dal Cin P, Cilento B, Perez Atayde A, Kozakewich H, Nose V. Urachal inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor with ALK gene rearrangement: a study of urachal remnants. Urology. 2004;64:140-4 pubmed..Involvement of this remnant by either benign or malignant tumors is very infrequent. A few cases of mesenchymal tumors, such as desmoid tumor and leiomyoma, involving the urachus have been described in published reports...
- Wharton J, Meshulam T, Vallega G, Pilch P. Dissociation of insulin receptor expression and signaling from caveolin-1 expression. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:13483-6 pubmed..We conclude that insulin receptor expression and ligand-dependent signaling is independent of caveolin-1 expression. ..
- Burdick M, Chu J, Godar S, Sackstein R. HCELL is the major E- and L-selectin ligand expressed on LS174T colon carcinoma cells. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:13899-905 pubmed
- Blackburn S, Crawford A, Shin H, Polley A, Freeman G, Wherry E. Tissue-specific differences in PD-1 and PD-L1 expression during chronic viral infection: implications for CD8 T-cell exhaustion. J Virol. 2010;84:2078-89 pubmed publisher..These observations have implications for human chronic infections and for therapeutic interventions based on blockade of the PD-1 pathway. ..
- Thadhani R, Powe C, Tjoa M, Khankin E, Ye J, Ecker J, et al. First-trimester follistatin-like-3 levels in pregnancies complicated by subsequent gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care. 2010;33:664-9 pubmed publisher..30, P < 0.001). CONCLUSIONS First-trimester FSTL3 levels are associated with glucose intolerance and GDM later in pregnancy. ..
- Davis I, McFadden A, Zhang Y, Coxon A, Burgess T, Wagner A, et al. Identification of the receptor tyrosine kinase c-Met and its ligand, hepatocyte growth factor, as therapeutic targets in clear cell sarcoma. Cancer Res. 2010;70:639-45 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings suggest the HGF:c-Met signaling axis as a candidate therapeutic target to improve clinical management of CCS...
- Kandel R, Srinivasan A, D Agata E, Lu X, Erdman D, Jhung M. Outbreak of adenovirus type 4 infection in a long-term care facility for the elderly. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010;31:755-7 pubmed publisher..By use of viral culture and polymerase chain reaction, not a rapid antigen test, the virus was detected. Human adenovirus infection can occur in elderly individuals, but detection by rapid antigen testing may be limited. ..
- De Luca C, Hostage E. Relationship between firing rate and recruitment threshold of motoneurons in voluntary isometric contractions. J Neurophysiol. 2010;104:1034-46 pubmed publisher..These results support the "onion skin" property that suggests a basic control scheme encoded in the physical properties of motoneurons that responds consistently to a "common drive" to the motoneuron pool. ..
- Zhang Y, Nevitt M, Niu J, Lewis C, Torner J, Guermazi A, et al. Fluctuation of knee pain and changes in bone marrow lesions, effusions, and synovitis on magnetic resonance imaging. Arthritis Rheum. 2011;63:691-9 pubmed publisher..This study was undertaken to determine whether pain resolution is accompanied by diminution of lesions in patients with knee OA...
- Jones Lopez E, Ayakaka I, Levin J, Reilly N, Mumbowa F, Dryden Peterson S, et al. Effectiveness of the standard WHO recommended retreatment regimen (category II) for tuberculosis in Kampala, Uganda: a prospective cohort study. PLoS Med. 2011;8:e1000427 pubmed publisher..9; 1.0-3.5). The recommended regimen for retreatment TB in Uganda yields an unacceptable proportion of unsuccessful outcomes. There is a need to evaluate new treatment strategies in these patients. ..
- Yang J, Caligioni C, Chan Y, Seminara S. Uncovering novel reproductive defects in neurokinin B receptor null mice: closing the gap between mice and men. Endocrinology. 2012;153:1498-508 pubmed publisher..Tacr3 mice are a useful model to examine the mechanisms by which neurokinin B signaling modulates GnRH release. ..
- Pearson W, Langmore S, Yu L, Zumwalt A. Structural analysis of muscles elevating the hyolaryngeal complex. Dysphagia. 2012;27:445-51 pubmed publisher..If verified by functional data, these findings would amend current swallowing theory. ..
- Horst D, Chen J, Morikawa T, Ogino S, Kirchner T, Shivdasani R. Differential WNT activity in colorectal cancer confers limited tumorigenic potential and is regulated by MAPK signaling. Cancer Res. 2012;72:1547-56 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, they suggest that MAPK signaling is a critical modifier of intratumoral heterogeneity that contributes significantly to determining the impact of WNT activity on stemness phenotypes in colon cancer cells. ..
- Cheng J, Rozenblatt Rosen O, Paulson K, Nghiem P, DeCaprio J. Merkel cell polyomavirus large T antigen has growth-promoting and inhibitory activities. J Virol. 2013;87:6118-26 pubmed publisher..These data imply that the deletion of the C terminus of MCPyV large T antigen found in MCC serves not only to disrupt viral replication but also results in the loss of a distinct growth-inhibitory function intrinsic to this region...
- Vu L, Prieto C, Amin E, Chhangawala S, Krivtsov A, Calvo Vidal M, et al. Functional screen of MSI2 interactors identifies an essential role for SYNCRIP in myeloid leukemia stem cells. Nat Genet. 2017;49:866-875 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our data identify SYNCRIP as a new RBP that controls the myeloid leukemia stem cell program. We propose that targeting these RBP complexes might provide a novel therapeutic strategy in leukemia. ..
- Ottarsdottir H, Cohen S, Cox M, Vitonis A, Einarsson J. Trends in Mode of Hysterectomy After the U.S. Food and Drug Administration Power Morcellation Advisory. Obstet Gynecol. 2017;129:1014-1021 pubmed publisher..With changing practice patterns and vigilance surrounding power morcellation, gynecologic surgeons may still offer patients minimally invasive procedures with all of the accompanying advantages. ..
- Zhang H, Du L, Zhong Y, Flanders K, Roberts J. Transforming growth factor-? stimulates Smad1/5 signaling in pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells and fibroblasts of the newborn mouse through ALK1. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2017;313:L615-L627 pubmed publisher..They also indicate the importance of considering alternate Smad pathways in studies directed at determining how TGF-? regulates newborn lung development. ..
- Masoudi F, Ponirakis A, Yeh R, Maddox T, Beachy J, Casale P, et al. Cardiovascular care facts: a report from the national cardiovascular data registry: 2011. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;62:1931-1947 pubmed publisher..The NCDR provides a unique opportunity to understand the characteristics of large populations of patients with CVD, the centers that provide their care, quality of care provided, and important patient outcomes. ..
- Sherrill K, Erdem U, Ross R, Brown T, Hasselmo M, Stern C. Hippocampus and retrosplenial cortex combine path integration signals for successful navigation. J Neurosci. 2013;33:19304-13 pubmed publisher..These findings provide critical insight into the neural mechanisms by which we are able to use map-level representations of our environment to reach our navigational goals. ..
- Oquendo P, Hundt E, Lawler J, Seed B. CD36 directly mediates cytoadherence of Plasmodium falciparum parasitized erythrocytes. Cell. 1989;58:95-101 pubmed..Here we report that expression of a CD36 cDNA clone in COS cells supports cytoadherence of parasitized erythrocytes but does not support increased binding of purified human thrombospondin. ..
- Yang X, Gabuzda D. Mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphorylates and regulates the HIV-1 Vif protein. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:29879-87 pubmed..These results suggest that MAPK plays a direct role in regulating HIV-1 replication and infectivity by phosphorylating Vif and identify a novel mechanism for activation of HIV-1 replication by mitogens and other extracellular stimuli. ..
- Mutter G, Wada H, Faquin W, Enomoto T. K-ras mutations appear in the premalignant phase of both microsatellite stable and unstable endometrial carcinogenesis. Mol Pathol. 1999;52:257-62 pubmed..K-ras mutation occurs in both premalignant microsatellite stable and unstable endometrial neoplasia, sometimes before acquisition of features readily diagnostic as atypical endometrial hyperplasia. ..
- Li Y, Kufe D. The Human DF3/MUC1 carcinoma-associated antigen signals nuclear localization of the catenin p120(ctn). Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;281:440-3 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that MUC1 confers cell membrane to nuclear signaling by interactions with p120. ..
- Raina D, Mishra N, Kumar S, Kharbanda S, Saxena S, Kufe D. Inhibition of c-Abl with STI571 attenuates stress-activated protein kinase activation and apoptosis in the cellular response to 1-beta-D-arabinofuranosylcytosine. Mol Pharmacol. 2002;61:1489-95 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that STI571 down-regulates c-Abl-mediated signals that target the mitochondria in the apoptotic response to ara-C. ..
- Drummond K, Zhu J, Black P. Meningiomas: updating basic science, management, and outcome. Neurologist. 2004;10:113-30 pubmed..Advances in basic science, surgery, and adjuvant therapy are widening the potential for safe, effective, evidence-based management leading to even better outcomes ..
- Pober B, Lin A, Russell M, Ackerman K, Chakravorty S, Strauss B, et al. Infants with Bochdalek diaphragmatic hernia: sibling precurrence and monozygotic twin discordance in a hospital-based malformation surveillance program. Am J Med Genet A. 2005;138A:81-8 pubmed..The twin data also raise the possibility that epigenetic abnormalities contribute to the development of CDH. ..
- Westerhaus M, Castro A. How do intellectual property law and international trade agreements affect access to antiretroviral therapy?. PLoS Med. 2006;3:e332 pubmed
- Kutuk O, Letai A. Alteration of the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway is key to acquired paclitaxel resistance and can be reversed by ABT-737. Cancer Res. 2008;68:7985-94 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our results suggest that combining small-molecule BCL-2 antagonists with paclitaxel may offer benefit to patients with paclitaxel-resistant tumors, an oncologic problem of great prevalence. ..
- Barrett C, Di Biase L, Natale A. How to identify and treat patient with pulmonary vein stenosis post atrial fibrillation ablation. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2009;24:42-9 pubmed..Early intervention in symptomatic patients with severe pulmonary vein stenosis is warranted; in asymptomatic patients, the data suggest that such patients will also derive benefit. ..
- Forman J, Choi H, Curhan G. Fructose and vitamin C intake do not influence risk for developing hypertension. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;20:863-71 pubmed publisher..02 (0.91 to 1.14) in Nurses' Health Study 2, and 1.06 (0.97 to 1.15) in Health Professionals Follow-up Study. In conclusion, fructose and vitamin C intake do not substantially influence the risk for developing hypertension. ..
- Sebastiani P, Montano M, Puca A, Solovieff N, Kojima T, Wang M, et al. RNA editing genes associated with extreme old age in humans and with lifespan in C. elegans. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8210 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that RNA editors may be an important regulator of aging in humans and that, when evaluated in C. elegans, this pathway may interact with the RNA interference machinery to regulate lifespan. ..
- Seshadri S, Fitzpatrick A, Ikram M, Destefano A, Gudnason V, Boada M, et al. Genome-wide analysis of genetic loci associated with Alzheimer disease. JAMA. 2010;303:1832-40 pubmed publisher..Two recently reported associations were also confirmed. These loci did not improve AD risk prediction. While not clinically useful, they may implicate biological pathways useful for future research. ..
- Verzi M, Shin H, He H, Sulahian R, Meyer C, Montgomery R, et al. Differentiation-specific histone modifications reveal dynamic chromatin interactions and partners for the intestinal transcription factor CDX2. Dev Cell. 2010;19:713-26 pubmed publisher..These results reveal dynamic, context-specific functions and mechanisms of a prominent transcriptional regulator within a cell lineage. ..
- Dolan T, Fowler J. Early memories, object relations, and current relationship functioning. Bull Menninger Clin. 2011;75:205-23 pubmed publisher..Results are considered in light of the clinical utility of EMs. ..
- Adamson B, Smogorzewska A, Sigoillot F, King R, Elledge S. A genome-wide homologous recombination screen identifies the RNA-binding protein RBMX as a component of the DNA-damage response. Nat Cell Biol. 2012;14:318-28 pubmed publisher..Our screen also revealed that off-target depletion of RAD51 is a common source of RNAi false positives, raising a cautionary note for siRNA screens and RNAi-based studies of HR. ..
- Miller N, Yen Lieberman B, Poulter M, Tang Y, Granato P. Comparative clinical evaluation of the IsoAmp(®) HSV Assay with ELVIS(®) HSV culture/ID/typing test system for the detection of herpes simplex virus in genital and oral lesions. J Clin Virol. 2012;54:355-8 pubmed publisher..In contrast to ELVIS(®), IsoAmp(®) HSV offers excellent sensitivity plus rapid on-demand testing and simpler specimen preparation. ..
- Li Y, Gierahn T, Thompson C, Trzcinski K, Ford C, Croucher N, et al. Distinct effects on diversifying selection by two mechanisms of immunity against Streptococcus pneumoniae. PLoS Pathog. 2012;8:e1002989 pubmed publisher..The results could provide new insight into pneumococcal vaccine design...