Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Locale: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Publications1046 found, 100 shown here
- Lin J, Hu F, Rimm E, Rifai N, Curhan G. The association of serum lipids and inflammatory biomarkers with renal function in men with type II diabetes mellitus. Kidney Int. 2006;69:336-42 pubmed
- Rocco J, Leong C, Kuperwasser N, DeYoung M, Ellisen L. p63 mediates survival in squamous cell carcinoma by suppression of p73-dependent apoptosis. Cancer Cell. 2006;9:45-56 pubmed..Together, these data define a pathway whereby deltaNp63alpha promotes survival in squamous epithelial malignancy by repressing a p73-dependent proapoptotic transcriptional program. ..
- Yaar M, Wu C, Park H, Panova I, Schutz G, Gilchrest B. Bone morphogenetic protein-4, a novel modulator of melanogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:25307-14 pubmed..Our data provide evidence of a novel regulatory pathway for melanogenesis in human skin. ..
- Burt B, Tavakkolizadeh A, Ferzoco S. Meckel's hemoperitoneum: a rare case of Meckel's diverticulitis causing intraperitoneal hemorrhage. Dig Dis Sci. 2006;51:1546-8 pubmed..Described here is a rare case of intraperitoneal hemorrhage caused by diverticulitis of a non-perforated, non-ectopic tissue containing Meckel's diverticulum. Literature review and pathophysiology are discussed...
- Emmons K, Viswanath K, Colditz G. The role of transdisciplinary collaboration in translating and disseminating health research: lessons learned and exemplars of success. Am J Prev Med. 2008;35:S204-10 pubmed publisher..Examples of transdisciplinary collaborations in academic and community settings are provided, along with factors that may influence the long-term outcomes of transdisciplinary efforts. ..
- Isanaka S, Duggan C, Fawzi W. Patterns of postnatal growth in HIV-infected and HIV-exposed children. Nutr Rev. 2009;67:343-59 pubmed publisher..Timely growth monitoring may be used to improve the clinical course and quality of life of these children. ..
- Michelow I, Lear C, Scully C, Prugar L, Longley C, Yantosca L, et al. High-dose mannose-binding lectin therapy for Ebola virus infection. J Infect Dis. 2011;203:175-9 pubmed publisher..Because Ebola glycoproteins potentially model other glycosylated viruses, rhMBL may offer a novel broad-spectrum antiviral approach. ..
- Litvack J, Mace J, Smith T. Role of depression in outcomes of endoscopic sinus surgery. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011;144:446-51 pubmed publisher..1 [4.5], P = .017). CRS patients with depression had worse baseline QOL than other CRS patients but experienced comparable postoperative improvement in QOL after ESS. Interestingly, depression severity significantly improved after ESS. ..
- Holick M, Binkley N, Bischoff Ferrari H, Gordon C, Hanley D, Heaney R, et al. Evaluation, treatment, and prevention of vitamin D deficiency: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96:1911-30 pubmed publisher..At the present time, there is not sufficient evidence to recommend screening individuals who are not at risk for deficiency or to prescribe vitamin D to attain the noncalcemic benefit for cardiovascular protection. ..
- Fahey F, Treves S, Adelstein S. Minimizing and communicating radiation risk in pediatric nuclear medicine. J Nucl Med. 2011;52:1240-51 pubmed publisher..Approaches for effective communication of risk to patients' families are discussed. Lastly, radiation dose reduction in pediatric nuclear medicine is explicated. ..
- Poulin S, Dautoff R, Morris J, Barrett L, Dickerson B. Amygdala atrophy is prominent in early Alzheimer's disease and relates to symptom severity. Psychiatry Res. 2011;194:7-13 pubmed publisher..There also appear to be specific relationships between the level of amygdala atrophy and neuropsychiatric symptoms that deserve further investigation. ..
- BÃ¤rnighausen T, BLOOM D, Humair S. Health systems and HIV treatment in sub-Saharan Africa: matching intervention and programme evaluation strategies. Sex Transm Infect. 2012;88:e2 pubmed publisher..Methodological studies are needed to identify the best approaches to evaluate the population health impact of horizontal interventions. ..
- Turner C, Klein J, Wang J, Thakor D, Benedict D, Ahmed A, et al. The amniotic fluid as a source of neural stem cells in the setting of experimental neural tube defects. Stem Cells Dev. 2013;22:548-53 pubmed publisher..The amniotic fluid may be a practical source of autologous NSCs applicable to novel forms of therapies for spina bifida...
- Motta V, Angelici L, Nordio F, Bollati V, Fossati S, Frascati F, et al. Integrative Analysis of miRNA and inflammatory gene expression after acute particulate matter exposure. Toxicol Sci. 2013;132:307-16 pubmed publisher..Acute PM exposure may affect gene regulation through PM-responsive miRNAs that directly or indirectly control inflammatory gene expression. ..
- Wang Q, Moore M, Adelmant G, Marto J, Silver P. PQBP1, a factor linked to intellectual disability, affects alternative splicing associated with neurite outgrowth. Genes Dev. 2013;27:615-26 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that PQBP1 can affect the AS of multiple mRNAs and indicate specific affected targets whose splice site determination may contribute to the disease phenotype in PQBP1-linked neurological disorders. ..
- Rao M, Atay S, Shukla V, Hong Y, Upham T, Ripley R, et al. Mithramycin Depletes Specificity Protein 1 and Activates p53 to Mediate Senescence and Apoptosis of Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma Cells. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:1197-210 pubmed publisher..These findings provide preclinical rationale for phase II evaluation of mithramycin in patients with mesothelioma. ..
- Beeler P, Orav E, Seger D, Dykes P, Bates D. Provider variation in responses to warnings: do the same providers run stop signs repeatedly?. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2016;23:e93-8 pubmed publisher..The decision to override prescribing warnings shows variation between providers, and the magnitude of variation differs among the clinical domains of the warnings; more variation was observed in areas with more inappropriate overrides. ..
- Jamison R, Martel M, Huang C, Jurcik D, Edwards R. Efficacy of the Opioid Compliance Checklist to Monitor Chronic Pain Patients Receiving Opioid Therapy in Primary Care. J Pain. 2016;17:414-23 pubmed publisher..Repeated administrations of the OCC among patients who receive opioids for chronic pain can increase the chance of identifying those who misuse or are likely to misuse opioids. ..
- GÃ¶kengin D, Doroudi F, Tohme J, Collins B, Madani N. HIV/AIDS: trends in the Middle East and North Africa region. Int J Infect Dis. 2016;44:66-73 pubmed publisher..The HIV epidemic in the MENA region is still at a controllable level, and this opportunity should not be missed. ..
- Wang M, Han J, Marcar L, Black J, Liu Q, Li X, et al. Radiation Resistance in KRAS-Mutated Lung Cancer Is Enabled by Stem-like Properties Mediated by an Osteopontin-EGFR Pathway. Cancer Res. 2017;77:2018-2028 pubmed publisher..Our results illuminate the basis for the radiation resistance of KRAS-mutated lung cancers, with possible implications for prognostic and therapeutic strategies. Cancer Res; 77(8); 2018-28. Â©2017 AACR. ..
- Patel U, Hartig G, Hanasono M, Lin D, Richmon J. Locoregional Flaps for Oral Cavity Reconstruction: A Review of Modern Options. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017;157:201-209 pubmed publisher..Implications for Practice With a more complete understanding of these options, the surgeon is better able to tailor the reconstruction to the needs of the patient to provide high-quality cost-effective care. ..
- Kitamura T, Alroy J, Gatmaitan Z, Inoue M, Mikami T, Jansen P, et al. Defective biliary excretion of epinephrine metabolites in mutant (TR-) rats: relation to the pathogenesis of black liver in the Dubin-Johnson syndrome and Corriedale sheep with an analogous excretory defect. Hepatology. 1992;15:1154-9 pubmed..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- Korsgren C, Cohen C. Associations of human erythrocyte band 4.2. Binding to ankyrin and to the cytoplasmic domain of band 3. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:10212-8 pubmed..2 with band 4.1. Our results show that band 4.2 can form multiple associations with red cell membrane proteins and may therefore play an as yet unrecognized structural role on the membrane. ..
- Mukhopadhyay D, Knebelmann B, Cohen H, Ananth S, Sukhatme V. The von Hippel-Lindau tumor suppressor gene product interacts with Sp1 to repress vascular endothelial growth factor promoter activity. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:5629-39 pubmed
- Christiani D, Wang X, Pan L, Zhang H, Sun B, Dai H, et al. Longitudinal changes in pulmonary function and respiratory symptoms in cotton textile workers. A 15-yr follow-up study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2001;163:847-53 pubmed..Consistent reporting of respiratory symptoms, including byssinosis and chest tightness at work, is of value to predict the magnitude and severity of chronic impairments in textile workers. ..
- Merkel P. Drug-induced vasculitis. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2001;27:849-62 pubmed..Increasing understanding of the pathophysiologic characteristics of all inflammatory vasculitides should lead to better diagnostic and therapeutic approaches to DIV...
- Chiba N, Parvin J. The BRCA1 and BARD1 association with the RNA polymerase II holoenzyme. Cancer Res. 2002;62:4222-8 pubmed..An intact BRCA1 NH(2) terminus is required for the association with holo-pol and for subnuclear localization in S-phase foci. Taken together, these data support a role for BRCA1 regulation of holo-pol function. ..
- Cambria R, Clouse W, Davison J, Dunn P, Corey M, Dorer D. Thoracoabdominal aneurysm repair: results with 337 operations performed over a 15-year interval. Ann Surg. 2002;236:471-9; discussion 479 pubmed..Late survival is equal to that after routine AAA repair, indicating that the considerable resource expenditure required for TAA repair is worthwhile. ..
- Wu O, Østergaard L, Weisskoff R, Benner T, Rosen B, Sorensen A. Tracer arrival timing-insensitive technique for estimating flow in MR perfusion-weighted imaging using singular value decomposition with a block-circulant deconvolution matrix. Magn Reson Med. 2003;50:164-74 pubmed..Shift maps can continue to provide a sensitive reflection of disturbed hemodynamics. ..
- Babitt J, Huang F, Wrighting D, Xia Y, Sidis Y, Samad T, et al. Bone morphogenetic protein signaling by hemojuvelin regulates hepcidin expression. Nat Genet. 2006;38:531-9 pubmed..Our data suggest a mechanism by which HFE2 mutations cause hemochromatosis: hemojuvelin dysfunction decreases BMP signaling, thereby lowering hepcidin expression. ..
- Moghadaszadeh B, Beggs A. Selenoproteins and their impact on human health through diverse physiological pathways. Physiology (Bethesda). 2006;21:307-15 pubmed
- Patel A, Karagas M, Perry A, Spencer S, Nelson H. Gene-drug interaction at the glucocorticoid receptor increases risk of squamous cell skin cancer. J Invest Dermatol. 2007;127:1868-70 pubmed..Given the large numbers of individuals on immunosuppressive drug therapy for inflammatory disease, these findings have important implications for NMSC screening and prevention. ..
- Hivert M, Manning A, McAteer J, Dupuis J, Fox C, Cupples L, et al. Association of variants in RETN with plasma resistin levels and diabetes-related traits in the Framingham Offspring Study. Diabetes. 2009;58:750-6 pubmed publisher..0009) but with high heterogeneity across studies (P < 0.0001). SNPs in the 3' region of RETN are associated with resistin levels, and one of them is also associated with glucose levels, although replication is needed. ..
- Bu L, Jiang X, Martin Puig S, Caron L, Zhu S, Shao Y, et al. Human ISL1 heart progenitors generate diverse multipotent cardiovascular cell lineages. Nature. 2009;460:113-7 pubmed publisher..These results lay the foundation for the generation of human model systems for cardiovascular disease and novel approaches for human regenerative cardiovascular medicine. ..
- Yang E, Boire A, Agarwal A, Nguyen N, O Callaghan K, Tu P, et al. Blockade of PAR1 signaling with cell-penetrating pepducins inhibits Akt survival pathways in breast cancer cells and suppresses tumor survival and metastasis. Cancer Res. 2009;69:6223-31 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings indicate that blockade of MMP1-PAR1 signaling may provide a benefit beyond treatment with Taxotere alone in advanced, metastatic breast cancer. ..
- Noseda R, Kainz V, Jakubowski M, Gooley J, Saper C, Digre K, et al. A neural mechanism for exacerbation of headache by light. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:239-45 pubmed publisher..We propose that photoregulation of migraine headache is exerted by a non-image-forming retinal pathway that modulates the activity of dura-sensitive thalamocortical neurons. ..
- Woehrle T, Yip L, Manohar M, Sumi Y, Yao Y, Chen Y, et al. Hypertonic stress regulates T cell function via pannexin-1 hemichannels and P2X receptors. J Leukoc Biol. 2010;88:1181-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that HS and P2 receptor agonists promote T cell function and thus, could be used to improve T cell function in trauma patients. ..
- Sax P, Komarow L, Finkelman M, Grant P, Andersen J, Scully E, et al. Blood (1->3)-beta-D-glucan as a diagnostic test for HIV-related Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;53:197-202 pubmed publisher..In some clinical centers, this may be a more sensitive test than the induced sputum examination and could reduce the need for both bronchoscopy and empirical therapy of PCP. ..
- Resick P, Williams L, Suvak M, Monson C, Gradus J. Long-term outcomes of cognitive-behavioral treatments for posttraumatic stress disorder among female rape survivors. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2012;80:201-10 pubmed publisher..CPT and PE resulted in lasting changes in PTSD and related symptoms over an extended period of time for female rape victims with extensive histories of trauma. ..
- Karamichos D, Rich C, Zareian R, Hutcheon A, Ruberti J, Trinkaus Randall V, et al. TGF-?3 stimulates stromal matrix assembly by human corneal keratocyte-like cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013;54:6612-9 pubmed publisher..Overall, the data suggests that it is possible to stimulate matrix secretion and assembly by HCKs in vitro by using a single growth factor, T3. ..
- Lee H, Colby K. A review of the clinical and genetic aspects of aniridia. Semin Ophthalmol. 2013;28:306-12 pubmed publisher..Future therapies for AAK may be aimed at the genetic modification of corneal limbal stem cells. ..
- Dimitrov S, Lu D, Naetar N, Hu Y, Pathania S, Kanellopoulou C, et al. Physiological modulation of endogenous BRCA1 p220 abundance suppresses DNA damage during the cell cycle. Genes Dev. 2013;27:2274-91 pubmed publisher..Thus, like its loss, a surfeit of endogenous p220 function represents a threat to genome integrity. ..
- Hannan E, Samadashvili Z, Stamato N, Lahey S, Wechsler A, Jordan D, et al. Utilization and 1-Year Mortality for Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement and Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement in New York Patients With Aortic Stenosis: 2011 to 2012. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2016;9:578-85 pubmed publisher..There are no differences between 1-year mortality rates for TAVR and SAVR patients. ..
- Aggarwal R, Rider L, Ruperto N, Bayat N, Erman B, Feldman B, et al. 2016 American College of Rheumatology/European League Against Rheumatism criteria for minimal, moderate, and major clinical response in adult dermatomyositis and polymyositis: An International Myositis Assessment and Clinical Studies Group/Paediatric. Ann Rheum Dis. 2017;76:792-801 pubmed publisher..001). The response criteria for adult DM/PM consisted of the conjoint analysis model based on absolute per cent change in 6 core set measures, with thresholds for minimal, moderate, and major improvement. ..
- Day F, Thompson D, Helgason H, Chasman D, Finucane H, Sulem P, et al. Genomic analyses identify hundreds of variants associated with age at menarche and support a role for puberty timing in cancer risk. Nat Genet. 2017;49:834-841 pubmed publisher..In aggregate, our findings highlight the complexity of the genetic regulation of puberty timing and support causal links with cancer susceptibility. ..
- Avorn J, Bohn R, Mogun H, Gurwitz J, Monane M, Everitt D, et al. Neuroleptic drug exposure and treatment of parkinsonism in the elderly: a case-control study. Am J Med. 1995;99:48-54 pubmed
- Raychowdhury M, Yukawa M, Collins L, McGrail S, Kent K, Ware J. Alternative splicing produces a divergent cytoplasmic tail in the human endothelial thromboxane A2 receptor. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:19256-61 pubmed..This finding of a new TxA2 receptor in endothelium suggests that a family of these receptors may result from alternative splicing of the cytoplasmic (carboxyl) tail. ..
- Andreadis A, Wagner B, Broderick J, Kosik K. A tau promoter region without neuronal specificity. J Neurochem. 1996;66:2257-63 pubmed..Primer extensions and expression assays indicated that upstream of exon -1 is a promoter that is not neuron specific. This region contains consensus binding sites for transcription factors AP2, Sp1, and GCF. ..
- Kim J, Sutton M, Lu D, Cho T, Goumnerova L, Goritchenko L, et al. Activation of neurotrophin-3 receptor TrkC induces apoptosis in medulloblastomas. Cancer Res. 1999;59:711-9 pubmed..Considered collectively, these results support the conclusion that the biological actions of TrkC activation affect medulloblastoma outcome by inhibiting tumor growth through the promotion of apoptosis. ..
- Leder B, Catlin D, Longcope C, Ahrens B, Schoenfeld D, Finkelstein J. Metabolism of orally administered androstenedione in young men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86:3654-8 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that orally administered androstenedione is largely metabolized to testosterone glucuronide and other androgen metabolites before release into the general circulation. ..
- Aguirre V, Werner E, Giraud J, Lee Y, Shoelson S, White M. Phosphorylation of Ser307 in insulin receptor substrate-1 blocks interactions with the insulin receptor and inhibits insulin action. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:1531-7 pubmed..These results suggest that inhibition of PTB domain function in IRS-1 by phosphorylation of Ser(307) (Ser(312) in human IRS-1) might be a general mechanism to regulate insulin signaling. ..
- Kacmarek R. Ventilatory adjuncts. Respir Care. 2002;47:319-30; discussion 330-3 pubmed..No randomized trials of tracheal gas insufflation have been performed. Of major concern with tracheal gas insufflation is the lack of a commercial product. ..
- Kantak K. Vaccines against drugs of abuse: a viable treatment option?. Drugs. 2003;63:341-52 pubmed..As such, the medical treatment of drug abuse will not be radically different from treatment of other chronic diseases...
- Belham C, Roig J, Caldwell J, Aoyama Y, Kemp B, Comb M, et al. A mitotic cascade of NIMA family kinases. Nercc1/Nek9 activates the Nek6 and Nek7 kinases. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:34897-909 pubmed..These findings support the conclusion that Nercc1/Nek9 and Nek6 represent a novel cascade of mitotic NIMA family protein kinases whose combined function is important for mitotic progression. ..
- Yen L, Svendsen J, Lee J, Gray J, Magnier M, Baba T, et al. Exogenous control of mammalian gene expression through modulation of RNA self-cleavage. Nature. 2004;431:471-6 pubmed
- Parvataneni H, Shah V, Howard H, Cole N, Ranawat A, Ranawat C. Controlling pain after total hip and knee arthroplasty using a multimodal protocol with local periarticular injections: a prospective randomized study. J Arthroplasty. 2007;22:33-8 pubmed..Periarticular injection with a multimodal protocol was shown to safely provide excellent pain control and functional recovery and can be substituted for conventional pain control modalities. ..
- Rosmarin D, Bush M, Scheinman P. Patch testing a patient with allergic contact hand dermatitis who is taking infliximab. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2008;59:145-7 pubmed publisher..TNF-alpha blockers do not necessarily suppress allergic contact hypersensitivity and are not an absolute contraindication to patch testing. ..
- Joyce N, Zhu C, Harris D. Relationship among oxidative stress, DNA damage, and proliferative capacity in human corneal endothelium. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:2116-22 pubmed publisher..To determine whether human corneal endothelial cells (HCECs) exhibit signs of oxidative DNA damage and to test whether oxidative stress affects the proliferative capacity of HCECs...
- Forman J, Stampfer M, Curhan G. Diet and lifestyle risk factors associated with incident hypertension in women. JAMA. 2009;302:401-11 pubmed publisher..Adopting low-risk dietary and lifestyle factors has the potential to prevent a large proportion of new-onset hypertension occurring among young women. ..
- Badman M, Koester A, Flier J, Kharitonenkov A, Maratos Flier E. Fibroblast growth factor 21-deficient mice demonstrate impaired adaptation to ketosis. Endocrinology. 2009;150:4931-40 pubmed publisher..Mice lacking FGF21 cannot respond appropriately to a ketogenic diet, resulting in an impaired ability to mobilize and utilize lipids. ..
- Gibbons C, Freeman R, Veves A. Diabetic neuropathy: a cross-sectional study of the relationships among tests of neurophysiology. Diabetes Care. 2010;33:2629-34 pubmed publisher..The natural clustering of both patients and healthy control subjects suggests that variations in the population will need to be considered in future studies of diabetic neuropathy. ..
- Banigan M, Kao P, Kozubek J, Winslow A, Medina J, Costa J, et al. Differential expression of exosomal microRNAs in prefrontal cortices of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder patients. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e48814 pubmed publisher..These results warrant future studies to evaluate the potential of exosome-derived miRNAs to serve as biomarkers of SZ and BD. ..
- Alam M, Ahmad R, Rajabi H, Kharbanda A, Kufe D. MUC1-C oncoprotein activates ERK?C/EBP? signaling and induction of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A1 in breast cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:30892-903 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that MUC1-C (i) activates a previously unrecognized ERK?C/EBP??ALDH1A1 pathway, and (ii) promotes the induction of ALDH activity in breast cancer cells. ..
- Sato S, Zhao Y, Imai M, Simister P, Feller S, Trackman P, et al. Inhibition of CIN85-mediated invasion by a novel SH3 domain binding motif in the lysyl oxidase propeptide. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e77288 pubmed publisher..Thus, LOX-PP interacts with CIN85 via a novel SH3-binding motif and this association reduces CIN85-promoted invasion by breast cancer cells. ..
- McManus D, Tanriverdi K, Lin H, Esa N, Kinno M, Mandapati D, et al. Plasma microRNAs are associated with atrial fibrillation and change after catheter ablation (the miRhythm study). Heart Rhythm. 2015;12:3-10 pubmed publisher..Our findings show associations between plasma miRs-21 and 150 and AF, suggesting that circulating miRNAs can provide insights into cardiac gene regulation. ..
- Slesnick T, Schreier J, Soriano B, Kutty S, Nutting A, Kim D, et al. Safety of Magnetic Resonance Imaging After Implantation of Stainless Steel Embolization Coils. Pediatr Cardiol. 2016;37:62-7 pubmed publisher..These findings support the recent change by Cook Medical Inc. of their standard embolization coils from a designation of magnetic resonance unsafe to conditional. ..
- Bulat E, Bixby S, Siversson C, Kalish L, Warfield S, Kim Y. Planar dGEMRIC Maps May Aid Imaging Assessment of Cartilage Damage in Femoroacetabular Impingement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016;474:467-78 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the planar maps may improve dGEMRIC's use as a continuous proxy for an otherwise discrete and simplified MRI-based grade of cartilage damage in hips with symptomatic FAI. Level III, diagnostic study. ..
- Khan A, Rogers J, Forster C, Furtak S, Schuster M, Landrigan C. Communication and Shared Understanding Between Parents and Resident-Physicians at Night. Hosp Pediatr. 2016;6:319-29 pubmed publisher..Family-centered care initiatives to improve parent-provider communication and shared understanding may help empower parents as partners in safe and high-quality nighttime care. ..
- Benck L, Cuttica M, Colangelo L, Sidney S, Dransfield M, Mannino D, et al. Association between Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Lung Health from Young Adulthood to Middle Age. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017;195:1236-1243 pubmed publisher..Beyond the risks of smoking, there are limited data on factors associated with change in lung function over time...
- Makino K, Makino T, Stawski L, Mantero J, Lafyatis R, Simms R, et al. Blockade of PDGF Receptors by Crenolanib Has Therapeutic Effect in Patient Fibroblasts and in Preclinical Models of Systemic Sclerosis. J Invest Dermatol. 2017;137:1671-1681 pubmed publisher..Treatment with crenolanib attenuated the skin and heart fibrosis. Our data indicate that inhibition of PDGF signaling presents an attractive therapeutic approach for SSc. ..
- Giantsoudi D, Seco J, Eaton B, Simeone F, Kooy H, Yock T, et al. Evaluating Intensity Modulated Proton Therapy Relative to Passive Scattering Proton Therapy for Increased Vertebral Column Sparing in Craniospinal Irradiation in Growing Pediatric Patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;98:37-46 pubmed publisher..This was true even when considering variable RBE values. A clinical trial is planned for VBS to the thoracic and lumbosacral spine in growing children. ..
- Hadland S, Wharam J, Schuster M, Zhang F, Samet J, Larochelle M. Trends in Receipt of Buprenorphine and Naltrexone for Opioid Use Disorder Among Adolescents and Young Adults, 2001-2014. JAMA Pediatr. 2017;171:747-755 pubmed publisher..Nonetheless, only 1 in 4 commercially insured youth with OUD received pharmacotherapy, and disparities based on sex, age, and race/ethnicity were observed. ..
- Kunkle B, Vardarajan B, Naj A, Whitehead P, Rolati S, Slifer S, et al. Early-Onset Alzheimer Disease and Candidate Risk Genes Involved in Endolysosomal Transport. JAMA Neurol. 2017;74:1113-1122 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this study identified shared risk genes between EOAD and LOAD similar to previously reported genes, such as SORL1, PSEN2, and TREM2. ..
- Yao J, Le T, Kos C, Henderson J, Allen P, Denker B, et al. Alpha-actinin-4-mediated FSGS: an inherited kidney disease caused by an aggregated and rapidly degraded cytoskeletal protein. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:e167 pubmed
- Vergani A, Fotino C, D Addio F, Tezza S, Podetta M, Gatti F, et al. Effect of the purinergic inhibitor oxidized ATP in a model of islet allograft rejection. Diabetes. 2013;62:1665-75 pubmed publisher..The beneficial effects of oATP treatment revealed a role for the purinergic system in islet allograft rejection, and the targeting of P2X7R is a novel strategy to induce long-term islet allograft function. ..
- LU D, SundstrÃ¶m K, SparÃ©n P, Fall K, SjÃ¶lander A, Dillner J, et al. Bereavement Is Associated with an Increased Risk of HPV Infection and Cervical Cancer: An Epidemiological Study in Sweden. Cancer Res. 2016;76:643-51 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings demonstrate that bereavement is associated with an increased risk of developing cervical cancer. Further, they suggest that this association may be attributed to stress-induced oncogenic HPV infections. ..
- Tsujikawa M, Malicki J. Intraflagellar transport genes are essential for differentiation and survival of vertebrate sensory neurons. Neuron. 2004;42:703-16 pubmed..These studies reveal an essential role for IFT genes in vertebrate sensory neurons and implicate the molecular components of intraflagellar transport in degenerative disorders of these cells. ..
- Chung S, Liu X, Macias A, Baron R, Perrella M. Heme oxygenase-1-derived carbon monoxide enhances the host defense response to microbial sepsis in mice. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:239-47 pubmed..These data advocate HO-1-derived CO as an important mediator of the host defense response to sepsis and suggest CO administration as a possible treatment for the disease. ..
- Mahr A, Edberg J, Stone J, Hoffman G, St Clair E, Specks U, et al. Alpha?-antitrypsin deficiency-related alleles Z and S and the risk of Wegener's granulomatosis. Arthritis Rheum. 2010;62:3760-7 pubmed publisher..Both Z and S alleles display associations with risk of WG in a codominant genetic pattern. These findings strengthen the evidence of a causal link between ?(1) AT deficiency and susceptibility to WG. ..
- Tsuji T, Ibaragi S, Shima K, Hu M, Katsurano M, Sasaki A, et al. Epithelial-mesenchymal transition induced by growth suppressor p12CDK2-AP1 promotes tumor cell local invasion but suppresses distant colony growth. Cancer Res. 2008;68:10377-86 pubmed publisher..We thus hypothesize that EMT cells are responsible for degrading the surrounding matrix to lead the way of invasion and intravasation. Non-EMT cells then enter the blood stream and reestablish colonies in the secondary sites. ..
- Sandora T. Prevention of healthcare-associated infections in children: new strategies and success stories. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2010;23:300-5 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, important knowledge gaps remain and an emphasis on funding of high-quality, rigorous studies to answer unresolved questions will be critical to our efforts to further prevent infections for hospitalized children. ..
- Khetarpal S, Zeng X, Millar J, Vitali C, Somasundara A, Zanoni P, et al. A human APOC3 missense variant and monoclonal antibody accelerate apoC-III clearance and lower triglyceride-rich lipoprotein levels. Nat Med. 2017;23:1086-1094 pubmed publisher..This protective mechanism has the potential to be exploited as a new therapeutic approach to reduce apoC-III levels and circulating TRL burden. ..