Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Locale: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Publications1241 found, 100 shown here
- Williams D, Sternthal M. Spirituality, religion and health: evidence and research directions. Med J Aust. 2007;186:S47-50 pubmed..Health practices and social ties are important pathways by which religion can affect health. Other potential pathways include the provision of systems of meaning and feelings of strength to cope with stress and adversity. ..
- Cramer D, Welch W, Berkowitz R, Godleski J. Presence of talc in pelvic lymph nodes of a woman with ovarian cancer and long-term genital exposure to cosmetic talc. Obstet Gynecol. 2007;110:498-501 pubmed
- Utz A, Biller B. The role of bilateral inferior petrosal sinus sampling in the diagnosis of Cushing's syndrome. Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol. 2007;51:1329-38 pubmed..BIPSS has rare complications and is considered safe when performed at centers with experience in this specialized technique. ..
- Lightdale J, Valim C, Newburg A, Mahoney L, Zgleszewski S, Fox V. Efficiency of propofol versus midazolam and fentanyl sedation at a pediatric teaching hospital: a prospective study. Gastrointest Endosc. 2008;67:1067-75 pubmed publisher..These results are not explained by controlling for patient characteristics, the presence of a trainee, the sedative doses, or endotracheal intubation for airway management. ..
- Slover J, Hoffman M, Malchau H, Tosteson A, Koval K. A cost-effectiveness analysis of the arthroplasty options for displaced femoral neck fractures in the active, healthy, elderly population. J Arthroplasty. 2009;24:854-60 pubmed publisher..The increased upfront cost appears to be offset by the improved functional results when compared with HEMI in this select patient group. ..
- Danik S, Neuzil P, d Avila A, Malchano Z, Kralovec S, Ruskin J, et al. Evaluation of catheter ablation of periatrial ganglionic plexi in patients with atrial fibrillation. Am J Cardiol. 2008;102:578-83 pubmed publisher..In addition, ablation of these structures in patients with vagal-mediated AF is insufficient to prevent its acute reinduction with high-frequency atrial stimulation. ..
- Romero J, Vasan R, Beiser A, Polak J, Benjamin E, Wolf P, et al. Association of carotid artery atherosclerosis with circulating biomarkers of extracellular matrix remodeling: the Framingham Offspring Study. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2008;17:412-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings are consistent with regional differences in matrix remodeling in the carotid artery. ..
- Smith C, Arnett D, Tsai M, Lai C, Parnell L, Shen J, et al. Physical inactivity interacts with an endothelial lipase polymorphism to modulate high density lipoprotein cholesterol in the GOLDN study. Atherosclerosis. 2009;206:500-4 pubmed publisher..Higher levels of physical activity may be protective for HDL-C concentrations and low activity detrimental in LIPG i24582 TT individuals, especially in women. ..
- Randolph G, Dralle H, Abdullah H, Barczynski M, Bellantone R, Brauckhoff M, et al. Electrophysiologic recurrent laryngeal nerve monitoring during thyroid and parathyroid surgery: international standards guideline statement. Laryngoscope. 2011;121 Suppl 1:S1-16 pubmed publisher..We hope this work will minimize inappropriate variations in monitoring rather than to dictate practice options. ..
- Bhattacharyya N. Incremental health care utilization and expenditures for chronic rhinosinusitis in the United States. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2011;120:423-7 pubmed..The national health care costs of CRS remain very high, at an estimated $8.6 billion per year. ..
- Sadagurski M, Cheng Z, Rozzo A, Palazzolo I, Kelley G, Dong X, et al. IRS2 increases mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress in a mouse model of Huntington disease. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:4070-81 pubmed publisher..Since we found the expression of Irs2 to be normal in grade II HD patients, our results suggest that decreasing IRS2 signaling could be part of a therapeutic approach to slow the progression of HD. ..
- Pasquini M, Zhang M, Medeiros B, Armand P, Hu Z, Nishihori T, et al. Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation Outcomes in Monosomal Karyotype Myeloid Malignancies. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2016;22:248-257 pubmed publisher..Alternative approaches to mitigate disease relapse in this population are needed. ..
- Markt S, Flynn Evans E, Valdimarsdottir U, Sigurdardottir L, Tamimi R, Batista J, et al. Sleep Duration and Disruption and Prostate Cancer Risk: a 23-Year Prospective Study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2016;25:302-8 pubmed publisher..We did not find support for a consistent association between self-reported sleep and risk of advanced or lethal prostate cancer in this large cohort of men. ..
- Avagyan S, Zon L. Fish to Learn: Insights into Blood Development and Blood Disorders from Zebrafish Hematopoiesis. Hum Gene Ther. 2016;27:287-94 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes major discoveries that helped define molecular control of hematopoiesis in vertebrates and specific contributions from studies in zebrafish. ..
- Kelly B, Hambright D, Rodriguez E. Risk of Injury to Neurovascular Structures During Open Cerclage Wiring of the Femur: A Cadaveric Study. J Surg Orthop Adv. 2017;26:1-6 pubmed
- Adams J. Influencing Scope of Practice Policy and Health Literacy: An Interview With Dr Joy Deupree. J Nurs Adm. 2017;47:305-307 pubmed publisher..This interview profiles Joy Deupree, assistant professor, School of Nursing, The University of Alabama at Birmingham. ..
- Giles D, Moreno Fernandez M, Stankiewicz T, Graspeuntner S, Cappelletti M, Wu D, et al. Thermoneutral housing exacerbates nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in mice and allows for sex-independent disease modeling. Nat Med. 2017;23:829-838 pubmed publisher..Thus, thermoneutral housing provides a sex-independent model of exacerbated NAFLD in mice and represents a novel approach for interrogation of the cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying disease pathogenesis...
- Burton A, Maskarinec G, Perez Gomez B, Vachon C, Miao H, Lajous M, et al. Mammographic density and ageing: A collaborative pooled analysis of cross-sectional data from 22 countries worldwide. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002335 pubmed publisher..If cumulative breast density is a key determinant of breast cancer risk, younger ages may be the more critical periods for lifestyle modifications aimed at breast density and breast cancer risk reduction. ..
- Tabas I, Lichtman A. Monocyte-Macrophages and T Cells in Atherosclerosis. Immunity. 2017;47:621-634 pubmed publisher..Herein, we review select topics that shed light on these processes and suggest new treatment strategies. ..
- Henry M, Silver P. A novel methyltransferase (Hmt1p) modifies poly(A)+-RNA-binding proteins. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:3668-78 pubmed..The Hmt1 protein is located in the nucleus. We demonstrate that Npl3p is methylated by Hmt1p both in vivo and in vitro. These findings now allow further exploration of the function of this previously uncharacterized class of enzymes. ..
- Baron R, Palmer L, Tantisira K, Gabriel S, Sonna L, Le L, et al. DNA sequence variants in epithelium-specific ETS-2 and ETS-3 are not associated with asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002;166:927-32 pubmed..This study suggests that epithelium-specific ETS-2 and ETS-3 genes are unlikely to contain polymorphic loci that have a major impact on asthma susceptibility in our population. ..
- Gong M, Sai Y, Zhou W, Thompson B, Xu L, Christiani D. Genotyping patients with recent blood transfusions. Epidemiology. 2003;14:744-7 pubmed
- Shimizu K, Shichiri M, Libby P, Lee R, Mitchell R. Th2-predominant inflammation and blockade of IFN-gamma signaling induce aneurysms in allografted aortas. J Clin Invest. 2004;114:300-8 pubmed..The findings establish important regulatory roles for a Th1/Th2 cytokine balance in modulating matrix remodeling and have important implications for the pathophysiology of AAAs and arteriosclerosis. ..
- Henin A, Biederman J, Mick E, Hirshfeld Becker D, Sachs G, Wu Y, et al. Childhood antecedent disorders to bipolar disorder in adults: a controlled study. J Affect Disord. 2007;99:51-7 pubmed..Bipolar disorder in adults is frequently preceded by childhood disruptive behavior and anxiety disorders. These childhood disorders may be important markers of risk for adult bipolar disorder. ..
- de Jong A, Pena Cruz V, Cheng T, Clark R, Van Rhijn I, Moody D. CD1a-autoreactive T cells are a normal component of the human ?? T cell repertoire. Nat Immunol. 2010;11:1102-9 pubmed publisher..The strong and frequent responses among genetically diverse donors define CD1a-autoreactive cells as a normal part of the human T cell repertoire and CD1a as a target of the T(H)22 subset of helper T cells...
- Shah D, Laufer M. Obstructed hemivagina and ipsilateral renal anomaly (OHVIRA) syndrome with a single uterus. Fertil Steril. 2011;96:e39-41 pubmed publisher..Healthcare providers managing complex reproductive tract anomalies should be aware of this potential variant. ..
- Mitchell S, Black B, Ersek M, Hanson L, Miller S, Sachs G, et al. Advanced dementia: state of the art and priorities for the next decade. Ann Intern Med. 2012;156:45-51 pubmed publisher..There is great need and opportunity to improve outcomes, contain expenditures, reduce disparities, and better coordinate care for the millions of persons in the United States who have advanced dementia. ..
- Tierney E, Hanke C. The effect of cold-air anesthesia during fractionated carbon-dioxide laser treatment: Prospective study and review of the literature. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012;67:436-45 pubmed publisher..The use of forced cold-air device in conjunction with topical anesthesia provides a well-accepted modality for patient comfort during ablative fractionated CO(2) resurfacing. ..
- Hirai K, Groisser B, Copen W, Singhal A, Schaechter J. Comparing prognostic strength of acute corticospinal tract injury measured by a new diffusion tensor imaging based template approach versus common approaches. J Neurosci Methods. 2016;257:204-13 pubmed publisher..Measurements of CST injury in acute stroke patients with substantial motor impairment by the density-weighted CST template approach may have clinical utility for anticipating healthcare needs and improving clinical trial design. ..
- Acuna Soto R, Samuelson J, De Girolami P, Zarate L, Millan Velasco F, Schoolnick G, et al. Application of the polymerase chain reaction to the epidemiology of pathogenic and nonpathogenic Entamoeba histolytica. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1993;48:58-70 pubmed..15, 95% CI = 2.03, 18.17, P < 0.0004). This new technique has high specificity and sensitivity; it is simple, reproducible, fast, avoids the need to culture trophozoites, and can be applied in the field for epidemiologic studies...
- Scharf J, Damron D, Frisella A, Bruno S, Beggs A, Kunkel L, et al. The mouse region syntenic for human spinal muscular atrophy lies within the Lgn1 critical interval and contains multiple copies of Naip exon 5. Genomics. 1996;38:405-17 pubmed..Mutations in such a gene might help to explain some of the phenotypic variability among the human SMAs. ..
- Wildsoet C, Oswald P, Clark S. Albinism: its implications for refractive development. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2000;41:1-7 pubmed..quot; The contrasting refractive profiles of myopic subjects may reflect operational constraints of the emmetropization process. ..
- Yoshida K, Komatsu K, Wang H, Kufe D. c-Abl tyrosine kinase regulates the human Rad9 checkpoint protein in response to DNA damage. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:3292-300 pubmed..These findings indicate that Rad9 is regulated by a c-Abl-dependent mechanism in the apoptotic response to genotoxic stress. ..
- Yoshida K, Miki Y, Kufe D. Activation of SAPK/JNK signaling by protein kinase Cdelta in response to DNA damage. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:48372-8 pubmed..These findings indicate that PKCdelta functions in the activation of SAPK through a Lyn --> PKCdelta --> MEKK1 --> MKK7 --> SAPK signaling cascade in response to DNA damage. ..
- Owens C, Yang P, Gottlinger H, Sodroski J. Human and simian immunodeficiency virus capsid proteins are major viral determinants of early, postentry replication blocks in simian cells. J Virol. 2003;77:726-31 pubmed..The efficiency of early events following HIV-1 and SIV(mac) entry is apparently determined by the interaction of the incoming viral CA and species-specific host factors. ..
- Dalkilic I, Kunkel L. Muscular dystrophies: genes to pathogenesis. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2003;13:231-8 pubmed..The number of genes identified increases each year, adding to our understanding as well as revealing the overall complexity of the pathogenesis of these diseases. ..
- Szmola R, Kukor Z, Sahin Toth M. Human mesotrypsin is a unique digestive protease specialized for the degradation of trypsin inhibitors. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:48580-9 pubmed
- Nahmias Y, Odde D. Micropatterning of living cells by laser-guided direct writing: application to fabrication of hepatic-endothelial sinusoid-like structures. Nat Protoc. 2006;1:2288-96 pubmed..The total time required to carry out this protocol is typically 7 h. ..
- Liu V, Huang P. Cardiovascular roles of nitric oxide: a review of insights from nitric oxide synthase gene disrupted mice. Cardiovasc Res. 2008;77:19-29 pubmed..Mice lacking the inducible isoform show reduced hypotension to septic shock. Together, NOS gene knockout mice have been useful tools that complement our other approaches to studying the multiple roles of NO in the cardiovascular system. ..
- Liu Y, Dinkin M, Loewenstein J, Rizzo J, Cestari D. Multifocal electroretinographic abnormalities in ethambutol-induced visual loss. J Neuroophthalmol. 2008;28:278-82 pubmed publisher..These are the first reported patients to show mfERG abnormalities that correspond to bitemporal visual field defects and add to the growing evidence that ethambutol damages the retina...
- Joynt K, Harris Y, Orav E, Jha A. Quality of care and patient outcomes in critical access rural hospitals. JAMA. 2011;306:45-52 pubmed publisher..1% vs 12.1%; adjusted OR, 1.20; 95% CI, 1.16-1.24; P < .001). Compared with non-CAHs, CAHs had fewer clinical capabilities, worse measured processes of care, and higher mortality rates for patients with AMI, CHF, or pneumonia. ..
- Vanderveen D, Bremer D, Fellows R, Hardy R, Neely D, Palmer E, et al. Prevalence and course of strabismus through age 6 years in participants of the Early Treatment for Retinopathy of Prematurity randomized trial. J AAPOS. 2011;15:536-40 pubmed publisher..To present strabismus data for children who participated in the Early Treatment for Retinopathy of Prematurity (ETROP) randomized trial...
- Kim M, Song L, Moon J, Sun Z, Bershteyn A, Hanson M, et al. Immunogenicity of membrane-bound HIV-1 gp41 membrane-proximal external region (MPER) segments is dominated by residue accessibility and modulated by stereochemistry. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:31888-901 pubmed publisher..These studies provide fundamental insights for immunogen design aimed at targeting B cell antibody responses...
- Macri V, Mahida S, Zhang M, Sinner M, Dolmatova E, Tucker N, et al. A novel trafficking-defective HCN4 mutation is associated with early-onset atrial fibrillation. Heart Rhythm. 2014;11:1055-1062 pubmed publisher..Pro257Ser mutant channel failed to colocalize with the wild-type HCN4 channel on the cell membrane. Our findings are consistent with HCN4 haploinsufficiency as the likely mechanism for early-onset AF in the p.Pro257Ser carrier. ..
- Folkman J. Angiogenesis in cancer, vascular, rheumatoid and other disease. Nat Med. 1995;1:27-31 pubmed..The extent to which the negative regulators are decreased during this switch may dictate whether a primary tumour grows rapidly or slowly and whether metastases grow at all. ..
- Keates S, Keates A, Mizoguchi E, Bhan A, Kelly C. Enterocytes are the primary source of the chemokine ENA-78 in normal colon and ulcerative colitis. Am J Physiol. 1997;273:G75-82 pubmed..ENA-78 as an enterocyte-derived, neutrophil-activating chemokine may be especially important in neutrophil recruitment from the lamina propria into the epithelial layer. ..
- Elenius K, Corfas G, Paul S, Choi C, Rio C, Plowman G, et al. A novel juxtamembrane domain isoform of HER4/ErbB4. Isoform-specific tissue distribution and differential processing in response to phorbol ester. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:26761-8 pubmed
- Peli E. The optical functional advantages of an intraocular low-vision telescope. Optom Vis Sci. 2002;79:225-33 pubmed..Physiological optics considerations of these issues show that the IMT may have important advantages over other designs of magnification devices for patients with age-related macular degeneration. ..
- Schwaber M, Graham C, Sands B, Gold H, Carmeli Y. Treatment with a broad-spectrum cephalosporin versus piperacillin-tazobactam and the risk for isolation of broad-spectrum cephalosporin-resistant Enterobacter species. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2003;47:1882-6 pubmed..and the equivalence in risk associated with piperacillin-tazobactam and broad-spectrum cephalosporins may have important clinical and epidemiologic implications. ..
- Meyerhardt J, Catalano P, Haller D, Mayer R, Benson A, Macdonald J, et al. Influence of body mass index on outcomes and treatment-related toxicity in patients with colon carcinoma. Cancer. 2003;98:484-95 pubmed..Nonetheless, obesity was not associated with any increase in chemotherapy-related toxicity. ..
- Kalluri R, Neilson E. Epithelial-mesenchymal transition and its implications for fibrosis. J Clin Invest. 2003;112:1776-84 pubmed..This review highlights recent advances in the process of EMT signaling in health and disease and how it may be attenuated or reversed by selective cytokines and growth factors. ..
- Lo A, Guelrud M, Essenfeld H, Bonis P. Classification of villous atrophy with enhanced magnification endoscopy in patients with celiac disease and tropical sprue. Gastrointest Endosc. 2007;66:377-82 pubmed..EME identifies 3 characteristic endoscopic patterns that correlate with the presence of villous atrophy. EME could help identify patchy areas of partial mucosal atrophy, potentially reducing the need for blind biopsies. ..
- Schneyer A, Sidis Y, Gulati A, Sun J, Keutmann H, Krasney P. Differential antagonism of activin, myostatin and growth and differentiation factor 11 by wild-type and mutant follistatin. Endocrinology. 2008;149:4589-95 pubmed publisher..However, these mutants also bind GDF11, indicating that further analysis is required for creation of myostatin antagonists that will not affect GDF11 activity that could potentially elicit GDF11-induced side effects in vivo. ..
- Mahon M. The parathyroid hormone 1 receptor directly binds to the FERM domain of ezrin, an interaction that supports apical receptor localization and signaling in LLC-PK1 cells. Mol Endocrinol. 2009;23:1691-701 pubmed publisher..However, dominant-negative ezrin does not affect expression or signaling of the basolateral PTH1R subpopulation. These findings reveal that direct ezrin interactions promote PTH1R apical localization and signaling in LLC-PK1 cells. ..
- Lu C, Law M, Soumerai S, Graves A, LeCates R, Zhang F, et al. Impact of prior authorization on the use and costs of lipid-lowering medications among Michigan and Indiana dual enrollees in Medicaid and Medicare: results of a longitudinal, population-based study. Clin Ther. 2011;33:135-44 pubmed publisher..The monetary benefit of PA policies for lipid-lowering agents should be weighed against administrative costs and the burden on patients and health care providers. ..
- Jayarao M, Devaiah A, Chin L. Utility and safety of the flexible-fiber CO2 laser in endoscopic endonasal transsphenoidal surgery. World Neurosurg. 2011;76:149-55 pubmed publisher..Further studies are recommended to further define its role in endoscopic endonasal sellar surgery. ..
- Oken E, Choi A, Karagas M, Mariën K, Rheinberger C, Schoeny R, et al. Which fish should I eat? Perspectives influencing fish consumption choices. Environ Health Perspect. 2012;120:790-8 pubmed publisher..In addition, policy and fishery management interventions will be necessary to ensure long-term availability of fish as an important source of human nutrition. ..
- Chen H, Ndhlovu Z, Liu D, Porter L, Fang J, Darko S, et al. TCR clonotypes modulate the protective effect of HLA class I molecules in HIV-1 infection. Nat Immunol. 2012;13:691-700 pubmed publisher..Thus, the efficacy of such so-called 'protective alleles' is modulated by specific TCR clonotypes selected during natural infection, which provides a functional explanation for divergent HIV-1 outcomes. ..
- Li J, Kuritzkes D. Clinical implications of HIV-1 minority variants. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;56:1667-74 pubmed publisher..Additional studies are needed to determine the optimal platform for clinical application of these new technologies and to provide guidance to clinicians on the type and frequency of clinically important HIV-1 minority variants. ..
- Bryniarski K, Walters D, Kim C, Soeda T, Higuma T, Yamamoto E, et al. SYNTAX Score and Pre- and Poststent Optical Coherence Tomography Findings in the Left Anterior Descending Coronary Artery in Patients With Stable Angina Pectoris. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:898-903 pubmed publisher..Our results may explain higher cardiac event rate and target lesion revascularization in patients with higher SS. ..
- Pulido R, Krueger N, Serra Pages C, Saito H, Streuli M. Molecular characterization of the human transmembrane protein-tyrosine phosphatase delta. Evidence for tissue-specific expression of alternative human transmembrane protein-tyrosine phosphatase delta isoforms. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:6722-8 pubmed..Mutational analysis of the HPTP delta proprotein cleavage site revealed the existence of two or three functional and overlapping furin-like endoprotease cleavage sites. ..
- Strübing C, Krapivinsky G, Krapivinsky L, Clapham D. Formation of novel TRPC channels by complex subunit interactions in embryonic brain. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:39014-9 pubmed..This complex assembly mechanism increases the diversity of TRPC channels in mammalian brain and may generate novel heteromers that have specific roles in the developing brain. ..
- Busaba N, Hossain M. Clinical outcomes of septoplasty and inferior turbinate reduction in the geriatric veterans' population. Am J Rhinol. 2004;18:343-7 pubmed
- Shenoy D, Little S, Langer R, Amiji M. Poly(ethylene oxide)-modified poly(beta-amino ester) nanoparticles as a pH-sensitive system for tumor-targeted delivery of hydrophobic drugs: part 2. In vivo distribution and tumor localization studies. Pharm Res. 2005;22:2107-14 pubmed..This prompts a detailed biodistribution profiling of the nanocarrier for prolonged periods to provide conclusive evidence for superiority of the delivery system. ..
- Zhang X, Li W, Olumi A. Low-dose 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate enhances tumor necrosis factor related apoptosis-inducing ligand induced apoptosis in prostate cancer cells. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13:7181-90 pubmed..TPA, when combined with the proapoptotic agent TRAIL, is effective in changing the phenotype of some TRAIL-resistant prostate cancer cells to a TRAIL-sensitive phenotype. ..
- Frazier A, Rumcheva P, Olson T, Giller R, Cushing B, Cullen J, et al. Application of the adult international germ cell classification system to pediatric malignant non-seminomatous germ cell tumors: a report from the Children's Oncology Group. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2008;50:746-51 pubmed..Applying the IGCCC system to pediatric patients produces a different stratification than does the application of the COG system, although both are prognostic. Development of a de novo pediatric prognostic classification is warranted. ..
- Zupancic J, Hibbs A, Palermo L, Truog W, Cnaan A, Black D, et al. Economic evaluation of inhaled nitric oxide in preterm infants undergoing mechanical ventilation. Pediatrics. 2009;124:1325-32 pubmed publisher..Indeed, for infants who receive nitric oxide between 7 and 14 days of life, the therapy seemed to lower costs while improving outcomes. ..
- Barbhaiya M, Solomon D. Rheumatoid arthritis and cardiovascular disease: an update on treatment issues. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2013;25:317-24 pubmed publisher..The field needs randomized controlled trials to better guide management. ..
- Hossein Nezhad A, Spira A, Holick M. Influence of vitamin D status and vitamin D3 supplementation on genome wide expression of white blood cells: a randomized double-blind clinical trial. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58725 pubmed publisher..This study reveals for the first time molecular finger prints that help explain the nonskeletal health benefits of vitamin D. ClinicalTrials.gov NCT01696409. ..
- Patel Y, George A, Dorval A, White J, Christini D, Butera R. Hard real-time closed-loop electrophysiology with the Real-Time eXperiment Interface (RTXI). PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005430 pubmed publisher..RTXI is easy to install, can be used with an extensive range of external experimentation and data acquisition hardware, and includes standard modules for implementing common electrophysiology protocols. ..
- Meikrantz W, Schlegel R. Suppression of apoptosis by dominant negative mutants of cyclin-dependent protein kinases. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:10205-9 pubmed..These results help identify cell cycle events that are also important for efficient apoptosis. ..
- Palecanda A, Paulauskis J, Al Mutairi E, Imrich A, Qin G, Suzuki H, et al. Role of the scavenger receptor MARCO in alveolar macrophage binding of unopsonized environmental particles. J Exp Med. 1999;189:1497-506 pubmed..g., TiO2 approximately 40%) and bacteria. The novel function of binding unopsonized environmental dusts and pathogens suggests an important role for MARCO in the lungs' response to inhaled particles...
- Xu L, Wain J, Miller D, Thurston S, Su L, Lynch T, et al. The NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase 1 gene polymorphism and lung cancer: differential susceptibility based on smoking behavior. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2001;10:303-9 pubmed..Our results support the concept that differential susceptibility to lung cancer is a function of both an inheritable trait in NQO1 metabolism and individual smoking characteristics. ..
- Galluzzi J, Cupples L, Meigs J, Wilson P, Schaefer E, Ordovas J. Association of the Ala54-Thr polymorphism in the intestinal fatty acid-binding protein with 2-h postchallenge insulin levels in the Framingham Offspring Study. Diabetes Care. 2001;24:1161-6 pubmed..These results suggest that the FABP2 Thr54 allele may have a minor contribution to the insulin resistance syndrome in a white general population. ..
- Bergersen L, Perry S, Lock J. Effect of cutting balloon angioplasty on resistant pulmonary artery stenosis. Am J Cardiol. 2003;91:185-9 pubmed..This study supports prior reports of successful angioplasty with CB therapy for resistant PA stenosis, identifies potential complications, and expands the experience to infants, larger vessels, and sublobar locations. ..
- Petersen C, Burleigh B. Role for interleukin-1 beta in Trypanosoma cruzi-induced cardiomyocyte hypertrophy. Infect Immun. 2003;71:4441-7 pubmed..cruzi, promotes cardiomyocyte hypertrophy early in the infective process and may contribute to maintenance of cardiomyocyte function during establishment of T. cruzi infection in the heart. ..
- Yamada K, Chan W, Andrews C, Bosley T, Sener E, Zwaan J, et al. Identification of KIF21A mutations as a rare cause of congenital fibrosis of the extraocular muscles type 3 (CFEOM3). Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2004;45:2218-23 pubmed..Although KIF21A is the first gene to be associated with CFEOM3, the results imply that mutations in the unidentified FEOM3 gene are the more common cause of this phenotype. ..
- Tannous Z, Mihm M, Sober A, Duncan L. Congenital melanocytic nevi: clinical and histopathologic features, risk of melanoma, and clinical management. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2005;52:197-203 pubmed..We review the literature and comment on the course of management for these patients at the Massachusetts General Hospital Pigmented Lesion Clinic. ..
- Cherry S, Doukas T, Armknecht S, Whelan S, Wang H, Sarnow P, et al. Genome-wide RNAi screen reveals a specific sensitivity of IRES-containing RNA viruses to host translation inhibition. Genes Dev. 2005;19:445-52 pubmed..Finally, this increased sensitivity to ribosome levels also holds true for poliovirus infection of human cells, demonstrating the generality of these findings. ..
- Becker E, Bonni A. Pin1 mediates neural-specific activation of the mitochondrial apoptotic machinery. Neuron. 2006;49:655-62 pubmed..These findings define a neural-specific mechanism of cell death whereby Pin1 couples phosphorylation of BH3-only proteins to activation of the mitochondrial apoptotic machinery. ..
- Yao J, Weremowicz S, Feng B, Gentleman R, Marks J, Gelman R, et al. Combined cDNA array comparative genomic hybridization and serial analysis of gene expression analysis of breast tumor progression. Cancer Res. 2006;66:4065-78 pubmed..These results show the power of combined array CGH and SAGE analysis for the identification of candidate amplicon targets and identify H2AFJ and EPS8 as novel putative oncogenes in breast cancer. ..
- Guleserian K, Armsby L, Thiagarajan R, del Nido P, Mayer J. Natural history of pulmonary atresia with intact ventricular septum and right-ventricle-dependent coronary circulation managed by the single-ventricle approach. Ann Thorac Surg. 2006;81:2250-7; discussion 2258 pubmed..Those with aortocoronary atresia have a particularly poor prognosis and should undergo cardiac transplantation. ..
- Chattopadhyay N, Quinn S, Kifor O, Ye C, Brown E. The calcium-sensing receptor (CaR) is involved in strontium ranelate-induced osteoblast proliferation. Biochem Pharmacol. 2007;74:438-47 pubmed..In conclusion, Sr(2+) is a full CaR agonist in HEK-CaR and POB, and, therefore, the anabolic effect of Sr(2+) on bone in vivo could be mediated, in part, by the CaR. ..