Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on glycolysis in Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Locale: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
- Gekakis N, Gehnrich S, Sul H. Phosphofructokinase isozyme expression during myoblast differentiation. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:3658-61 pubmed..In contrast, the mRNA level for PFK-B increased slightly during differentiation, showing a maximum of 4-fold at 96 h. These results indicate isozyme-specific control of muscle PFK gene expression during C2 myoblast differentiation. ..
- Locasale J, Grassian A, Melman T, Lyssiotis C, Mattaini K, Bass A, et al. Phosphoglycerate dehydrogenase diverts glycolytic flux and contributes to oncogenesis. Nat Genet. 2011;43:869-74 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that the diversion of glycolytic flux into a specific alternate pathway can be selected during tumor development and may contribute to the pathogenesis of human cancer. ..
- Gohil V, Sheth S, Nilsson R, Wojtovich A, Lee J, Perocchi F, et al. Nutrient-sensitized screening for drugs that shift energy metabolism from mitochondrial respiration to glycolysis. Nat Biotechnol. 2010;28:249-55 pubmed publisher..Nutrient-sensitized screening may provide a useful framework for understanding gene function and drug action within the context of energy metabolism. ..
- Lee G, Won H, Lee Y, Choi J, Oh T, Jang J, et al. Oxidative Dimerization of PHD2 is Responsible for its Inactivation and Contributes to Metabolic Reprogramming via HIF-1Î± Activation. Sci Rep. 2016;6:18928 pubmed publisher..We provide here a better understanding of the mechanism by which disulfide bond-mediated PHD2 dimerization and inactivation result in the activation of HIF-1Î± and aerobic glycolysis in response to oxidative stress. ..
- Fantin V, St Pierre J, Leder P. Attenuation of LDH-A expression uncovers a link between glycolysis, mitochondrial physiology, and tumor maintenance. Cancer Cell. 2006;9:425-34 pubmed..These results demonstrate that LDH-A plays a key role in tumor maintenance. ..
- Qi W, Keenan H, Li Q, Ishikado A, Kannt A, Sadowski T, et al. Pyruvate kinase M2 activation may protect against the progression of diabetic glomerular pathology and mitochondrial dysfunction. Nat Med. 2017;23:753-762 pubmed publisher..Thus, PKM2 activation may protect against DN by increasing glucose metabolic flux, inhibiting the production of toxic glucose metabolites and inducing mitochondrial biogenesis to restore mitochondrial function. ..
- Handschin C, Chin S, Li P, Liu F, Maratos Flier E, Lebrasseur N, et al. Skeletal muscle fiber-type switching, exercise intolerance, and myopathy in PGC-1alpha muscle-specific knock-out animals. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:30014-21 pubmed..Our data demonstrate a critical role for PGC-1alpha in maintenance of normal fiber type composition and of muscle fiber integrity following exertion. ..
- Christofk H, Vander Heiden M, Harris M, Ramanathan A, Gerszten R, Wei R, et al. The M2 splice isoform of pyruvate kinase is important for cancer metabolism and tumour growth. Nature. 2008;452:230-3 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that M2 expression is necessary for aerobic glycolysis and that this metabolic phenotype provides a selective growth advantage for tumour cells in vivo. ..
- Barillas R, Friehs I, Cao Danh H, Martinez J, del Nido P. Inhibition of glycogen synthase kinase-3beta improves tolerance to ischemia in hypertrophied hearts. Ann Thorac Surg. 2007;84:126-33 pubmed
- Baron A, Migita T, Tang D, Loda M. Fatty acid synthase: a metabolic oncogene in prostate cancer?. J Cell Biochem. 2004;91:47-53 pubmed..Because of the frequent overexpression of this enzyme prostate cancer, FAS constitutes a therapeutic target in this disease. ..
- Vander Heiden M, Christofk H, Schuman E, Subtelny A, Sharfi H, HARLOW E, et al. Identification of small molecule inhibitors of pyruvate kinase M2. Biochem Pharmacol. 2010;79:1118-24 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that isoform selective inhibition of PKM2 with small molecules is feasible and support the hypothesis that inhibition of glucose metabolism in cancer cells is a viable strategy to treat human malignancy. ..
- Peng X, Guo X, Borkan S, Bharti A, Kuramochi Y, Calderwood S, et al. Heat shock protein 90 stabilization of ErbB2 expression is disrupted by ATP depletion in myocytes. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:13148-52 pubmed
- Bouche C, Serdy S, Kahn C, Goldfine A. The cellular fate of glucose and its relevance in type 2 diabetes. Endocr Rev. 2004;25:807-30 pubmed..This review is focused on the cellular fate of glucose and relevance to human type 2 diabetes. ..
- Mak T, Grusdat M, Duncan G, Dostert C, Nonnenmacher Y, Cox M, et al. Glutathione Primes T Cell Metabolism for Inflammation. Immunity. 2017;46:675-689 pubmed publisher..The antioxidative GSH pathway thus plays an unexpected role in metabolic integration and reprogramming during inflammatory T cell responses. ..
- Uemura H, Fraenkel D. gcr2, a new mutation affecting glycolytic gene expression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1990;10:6389-96 pubmed..Northern (RNA) analysis showed that gcr2 and gcr1 affect ENO1 mRNA levels. ..
- Jeong S, Lee A, Lee J, Haigis M. SIRT4 protein suppresses tumor formation in genetic models of Myc-induced B cell lymphoma. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:4135-44 pubmed publisher..Together, these results highlight the tumor-suppressive role of SIRT4 in Myc-induced B cell lymphoma and suggest that SIRT4 may be a potential target against Myc-induced and/or glutamine-dependent cancers. ..
- Wang H, Nicolay B, Chick J, Gao X, Geng Y, Ren H, et al. The metabolic function of cyclin D3-CDK6 kinase in cancer cell survival. Nature. 2017;546:426-430 pubmed publisher..Cyclin D3-CDK6, through its ability to link cell cycle and cell metabolism, represents a particularly powerful oncoprotein that affects cancer cells at several levels, and this property can be exploited for anti-cancer therapy. ..
- Getty Kaushik L, Viereck J, Goodman J, Guo Z, Lebrasseur N, Richard A, et al. Mice deficient in phosphofructokinase-M have greatly decreased fat stores. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2010;18:434-40 pubmed publisher..This may be related to the ability of this isoform to generate glycolytic oscillations, because such oscillations may enhance the production of the triacylglycerol precursor alpha-glycerophosphate. ..
- Yellen G. Ketone bodies, glycolysis, and KATP channels in the mechanism of the ketogenic diet. Epilepsia. 2008;49 Suppl 8:80-2 pubmed publisher..Here I consider some recent evidence for one such hypothesis, involving a possible role for altered glycolysis and consequent activation of a class of potassium channels called K(ATP)channels. ..
- Xing Y, Musi N, Fujii N, Zou L, Luptak I, Hirshman M, et al. Glucose metabolism and energy homeostasis in mouse hearts overexpressing dominant negative alpha2 subunit of AMP-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:28372-7 pubmed..Thus, AMPK alpha2 is necessary for maintaining myocardial energy homeostasis during ischemia. It is likely that the functional role of AMPK in myocardial energy metabolism resides both in energy supply and utilization. ..
- Tian R, Abel E. Responses of GLUT4-deficient hearts to ischemia underscore the importance of glycolysis. Circulation. 2001;103:2961-6 pubmed..GLUT4 is an important mediator of enhanced glycolysis during ischemia and represents an important protective mechanism against ischemic injury. ..
- Zaman K, Ryu H, Hall D, O Donovan K, Lin K, Miller M, et al. Protection from oxidative stress-induced apoptosis in cortical neuronal cultures by iron chelators is associated with enhanced DNA binding of hypoxia-inducible factor-1 and ATF-1/CREB and increased expression of glycolytic enzymes, p21(waf1/cip1), an. J Neurosci. 1999;19:9821-30 pubmed
- Tian R, Christe M, Spindler M, Hopkins J, Halow J, Camacho S, et al. Role of MgADP in the development of diastolic dysfunction in the intact beating rat heart. J Clin Invest. 1997;99:745-51 pubmed..Thus, our data indicate that MgADP contributes significantly to diastolic dysfunction, possibly by slowing the rate of cross-bridge cycling...
- Kosugi M, Ahmad R, Alam M, Uchida Y, Kufe D. MUC1-C oncoprotein regulates glycolysis and pyruvate kinase M2 activity in cancer cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e28234 pubmed publisher..Thus, the overexpression of MUC1-C oncoprotein in diverse human carcinomas could be of importance to the Warburg effect of aerobic glycolysis. ..
- Danial N, Gramm C, Scorrano L, Zhang C, Krauss S, Ranger A, et al. BAD and glucokinase reside in a mitochondrial complex that integrates glycolysis and apoptosis. Nature. 2003;424:952-6 pubmed..This combination of proteomics, genetics and physiology indicates an unanticipated role for BAD in integrating pathways of glucose metabolism and apoptosis. ..