Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on consensus sequence in Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Locale: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Topic: consensus sequence
- Andrews N, Erdjument Bromage H, Davidson M, Tempst P, Orkin S. Erythroid transcription factor NF-E2 is a haematopoietic-specific basic-leucine zipper protein. Nature. 1993;362:722-8 pubmed..Its tissue-specific component (p45 NF-E2) has been characterized by complementary DNA cloning as a new basic region-leucine zipper protein which dimerizes with a ubiquitous partner to form native NF-E2. ..
- Moller D, Xia C, Tang W, Zhu A, Jakubowski M. Human rsk isoforms: cloning and characterization of tissue-specific expression. Am J Physiol. 1994;266:C351-9 pubmed..These results indicate that the multiplicity of p90rsk isoforms is increased to at least three for humans and that marked tissue-/cell-specific differences in p90rsk isoform expression are present...
- Jackson F, Banfi S, Guffanti A, Rossi E. A novel zinc finger-containing RNA-binding protein conserved from fruitflies to humans. Genomics. 1997;41:444-52 pubmed..These common sequence features and comparisons among a large collection of RRM proteins suggest that the human and mouse proteins represent homologues of Drosophila lark. ..
- Hunter R, Stevenson E, Koncarevic A, Mitchell Felton H, Essig D, Kandarian S. Activation of an alternative NF-kappaB pathway in skeletal muscle during disuse atrophy. FASEB J. 2002;16:529-38 pubmed..The evidence presented here suggests that disuse muscle atrophy is associated with activation of an alternative NF-kappaB pathway that involves the activation of p50 but not p65. ..
- Cahill C, Tzivion G, Nasrin N, Ogg S, Dore J, Ruvkun G, et al. Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase signaling inhibits DAF-16 DNA binding and function via 14-3-3-dependent and 14-3-3-independent pathways. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:13402-10 pubmed..Thus, our results demonstrate at least two mechanisms, one 14-3-3-dependent and the other 14-3-3-independent, whereby PI 3-kinase signaling regulates DAF-16 DNA binding and transcription function. ..
- Naisbitt S, Valtschanoff J, Allison D, Sala C, Kim E, Craig A, et al. Interaction of the postsynaptic density-95/guanylate kinase domain-associated protein complex with a light chain of myosin-V and dynein. J Neurosci. 2000;20:4524-34 pubmed..We discuss the possibility that the GKAP/DLC interaction may be involved in trafficking of the PSD-95 complex by motor proteins. ..
- Robinson L, Weremowicz S, Morton C, Michel T. Isolation and chromosomal localization of the human endothelial nitric oxide synthase (NOS3) gene. Genomics. 1994;19:350-7 pubmed..abstract truncated at 250 words) ..
- Elkin S, Ivanov D, Ewalt M, Ferguson C, Hyberts S, Sun Z, et al. A PHD finger motif in the C terminus of RAG2 modulates recombination activity. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:28701-10 pubmed..We propose a model in which the equilibrium between these states modulates recombination activity. Together, these data identify the PHD finger as a novel and functionally important domain of RAG2. ..
- Busconi L, Michel T. Endothelial nitric oxide synthase. N-terminal myristoylation determines subcellular localization. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:8410-3 pubmed..N-terminal myristoylation of the endothelial NO synthase may provide a potential point of regulation of the biological functions of endothelium-derived NO in situ. ..
- Toyoda N, Berry M, Harney J, Larsen P. Topological analysis of the integral membrane protein, type 1 iodothyronine deiodinase (D1). J Biol Chem. 1995;270:12310-8 pubmed..In addition, positively charged residues at positions 11, 12, and 27 are required for optimal formation of the protein but not for catalysis. ..
- Hsieh C, Yoshizumi M, Endege W, Kho C, Jain M, Kashiki S, et al. APEG-1, a novel gene preferentially expressed in aortic smooth muscle cells, is down-regulated by vascular injury. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:17354-9 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate that APEG-1 is a novel marker for differentiated ASMC and may have a role in regulating growth and differentiation of this cell type. ..
- Koh K, Sundrud M, Rao A. Domain requirements and sequence specificity of DNA binding for the forkhead transcription factor FOXP3. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8109 pubmed publisher..These results establish a practical framework for understanding the molecular basis by which FOXP3 regulates gene transcription and programs Treg suppressive function. ..
- Fleming J, Pavesi G, Benatti P, Imbriano C, Mantovani R, Struhl K. NF-Y coassociates with FOS at promoters, enhancers, repetitive elements, and inactive chromatin regions, and is stereo-positioned with growth-controlling transcription factors. Genome Res. 2013;23:1195-209 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that NF-Y is not merely a commonly used proximal promoter TF, but rather performs a more diverse set of biological functions, many of which are likely to involve coassociation with FOS. ..
- Benson G, Nguyen T, Maas R. The expression pattern of the murine Hoxa-10 gene and the sequence recognition of its homeodomain reveal specific properties of Abdominal B-like genes. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:1591-601 pubmed..Thus, in vertebrates, structural similarities, coordinate transcriptional regulation, sites of expression, and binding site preferences all serve to distinguish AbdB from Antp Hox genes. ..
- Li Y, Chen W, Stashenko P. Molecular cloning and characterization of a putative novel human osteoclast-specific 116-kDa vacuolar proton pump subunit. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996;218:813-21 pubmed..OC-116KDa mRNA was localized to multinucleated giant cells within the osteoclastoma tumor by in situ hybridization. ..
- Lee Y, Giraud J, Davis R, White M. c-Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK) mediates feedback inhibition of the insulin signaling cascade. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:2896-902 pubmed..These results support the hypothesis that JNK is a negative feedback regulator of insulin action by phosphorylating Ser(307) in Irs1. ..
- Aziz N, Maxwell M, Brenner B. Coordinate regulation of 11 beta-HSD and Ke 6 genes in cpk mouse: implications for steroid metabolic defect in PKD. Am J Physiol. 1994;267:F791-7 pubmed
- Lazaro J, Boretto J, Selmi B, Capony J, Canard B. Phosphorylation of AZT-resistant human immunodeficiency virus type 1 reverse transcriptase by casein kinase II in vitro: effects on inhibitor sensitivity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;275:26-32 pubmed..These results suggest that phosphorylation of RT might be one factor involved in drug resistance in vivo. ..
- Wang C, Chua K, Seghezzi W, Lees E, Gozani O, Reed R. Phosphorylation of spliceosomal protein SAP 155 coupled with splicing catalysis. Genes Dev. 1998;12:1409-14 pubmed..Significantly, SAP 155 is phosphorylated concomitant with or just after catalytic step one, making this the first example of a protein modification tightly regulated with splicing catalysis. ..
- Rhoads D, Rosenbaum D, Unsal H, Isselbacher K, Levitsky L. Circadian periodicity of intestinal Na+/glucose cotransporter 1 mRNA levels is transcriptionally regulated. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:9510-6 pubmed..Because SGLT1 mRNA levels also varied in rhesus monkeys (offset by approximately one-half day from rats), a similar mechanism appears to be present in primates. ..
- Saiz M, Llanos Cuentas A, Echevarria J, Roncal N, Cruz M, Muniz M, et al. Short report: detection of Leishmaniavirus in human biopsy samples of leishmaniasis from Peru. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1998;58:192-4 pubmed..This study demonstrates, through the reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction, that Leishmaniavirus exists in human biopsy samples of leishmaniasis prior to manipulation in culture...
- Jain M, Fujita K, Hsieh C, Endege W, Sibinga N, Yet S, et al. Molecular cloning and characterization of SmLIM, a developmentally regulated LIM protein preferentially expressed in aortic smooth muscle cells. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:10194-9 pubmed..The down-regulation of SmLIM by phenotypic change in vascular smooth muscle cells suggests that it may be involved in their growth and differentiation. ..
- Randall J, Thorne T, Delpire E. Partial cloning and characterization of Slc12a2: the gene encoding the secretory Na+-K+-2Cl- cotransporter. Am J Physiol. 1997;273:C1267-77 pubmed..The absence of this exon causes the loss of the single protein kinase A consensus site of the cotransport protein. ..
- Tian Q, Taupin J, Elledge S, Robertson M, Anderson P. Fas-activated serine/threonine kinase (FAST) phosphorylates TIA-1 during Fas-mediated apoptosis. J Exp Med. 1995;182:865-74 pubmed..Our results introduce Fast and TIA-1 as components of a molecular cascade involved in signaling Fas-mediated apoptosis. ..
- Pogliano J, Lynch A, Belin D, Lin E, Beckwith J. Regulation of Escherichia coli cell envelope proteins involved in protein folding and degradation by the Cpx two-component system. Genes Dev. 1997;11:1169-82 pubmed..coli genes. These findings suggest a potentially extensive Cpx regulon including genes transcribed by sigma70 and sigma(E), which encode factors involved in protein folding as well as other cellular functions. ..
- SCHULZE SPATE U, Battaglino R, Fu J, Sharma A, Vokes M, Stashenko P. Brn3 transcription factors control terminal osteoclastogenesis. J Cell Biochem. 2007;102:1-12 pubmed..We conclude that Brn-3 represents a novel molecular differentiation factor that controls osteoclast maturation and function, suggesting an important role in bone metabolism. ..
- DeGennaro C, Alver B, Marguerat S, Stepanova E, Davis C, BÃ¤hler J, et al. Spt6 regulates intragenic and antisense transcription, nucleosome positioning, and histone modifications genome-wide in fission yeast. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:4779-92 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that Spt6 is critical for the accuracy of transcription and the integrity of chromatin, likely via its direct interactions with RNA polymerase II and histones. ..
- Ueyama T, Kasahara H, Ishiwata T, Yamasaki N, Izumo S. Csm, a cardiac-specific isoform of the RNA helicase Mov10l1, is regulated by Nkx2.5 in embryonic heart. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:28750-7 pubmed..Furthermore, transient cotransfection analysis showed that Nkx2.5 transactivates the Csm promoter, suggesting that Nkx2.5 is essential for embryonic Csm expression. ..
- Romero E, Deo R, Velazquez Estades L, Roth D. Cloning, structural organization, and transcriptional activity of the rat vitamin K-dependent gamma-glutamyl carboxylase gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;248:783-8 pubmed..The isolation and characterization of the rat carboxylase gene provides essential information for the analysis of its regulation in vitro and in transgenic animal models. ..
- Gutierrez J, Yu J, Rivera S, Wessling Resnick M. Functional expression cloning and characterization of SFT, a stimulator of Fe transport. J Cell Biol. 1997;139:895-905 pubmed..SFT is the first component of the mammalian Fe membrane transport machinery to be identified. ..
- Shibasaki F, Kondo E, Akagi T, McKeon F. Suppression of signalling through transcription factor NF-AT by interactions between calcineurin and Bcl-2. Nature. 1997;386:728-31 pubmed..We propose that the ability of Bcl-2 to block NF-AT signalling is due to the sequestering of active calcineurin to the same domain of Bcl-2 which associates with Rad-1 (ref. 5), and that calcineurin may act in Bcl-2-regulated functions. ..
- Hughes R, Chan F, White R, Zon L. Cloning and chromosomal localization of a mouse cDNA with homology to the Saccharomyces cerevisiae gene zuotin. Genomics. 1995;29:546-50 pubmed..The DnaJ domain and candidate phosphorylation sites of zuotin and ZRF1 are highly conserved. ZRF1 gene is localized on chromosome 5. The structural similarity of zuotin and ZRF1 suggests conservation of function of this DnaJ subfamily. ..
- Djian P, Phillips M, Easley K, Huang E, Simon M, Rice R, et al. The involucrin genes of the mouse and the rat: study of their shared repeats. Mol Biol Evol. 1993;10:1136-49 pubmed..An antiserum to a synthetic peptide encoded by the segment of repeats of the Mus gene reveals differentiation-specific expression of the gene in the epidermis. ..
- Levine S, Weiss A, Erdjument Bromage H, Shao Z, Tempst P, Kingston R. The core of the polycomb repressive complex is compositionally and functionally conserved in flies and humans. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6070-8 pubmed
- Kirkitadze M, Barlow P. Structure and flexibility of the multiple domain proteins that regulate complement activation. Immunol Rev. 2001;180:146-61 pubmed..The results could have implications for folding, evolution, flexibility and structure-function relationships of other molecules in the large, diverse and little understood category of multiple domain proteins. ..
- Nishiguchi K, Sandberg M, Gorji N, Berson E, Dryja T. Cone cGMP-gated channel mutations and clinical findings in patients with achromatopsia, macular degeneration, and other hereditary cone diseases. Hum Mutat. 2005;25:248-58 pubmed..Based on our findings, CNGB3 should be considered as a candidate gene to be evaluated in patients with forms of cone dysfunction, including macular degeneration...
- Shun M, Raghavendra N, Vandegraaff N, Daigle J, Hughes S, Kellam P, et al. LEDGF/p75 functions downstream from preintegration complex formation to effect gene-specific HIV-1 integration. Genes Dev. 2007;21:1767-78 pubmed..Akin to yeast retrotransposons, disrupting the lentiviral targeting mechanism significantly perturbs overall integration. ..
- Bernfield M, Kokenyesi R, Kato M, Hinkes M, Spring J, Gallo R, et al. Biology of the syndecans: a family of transmembrane heparan sulfate proteoglycans. Annu Rev Cell Biol. 1992;8:365-93 pubmed
- Castells M, Wu X, Arm J, Austen K, Katz H. Cloning of the gp49B gene of the immunoglobulin superfamily and demonstration that one of its two products is an early-expressed mast cell surface protein originally described as gp49. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:8393-401 pubmed..Thus, cloning of the gp49B gene has established the organization of one of the gp49 genes and provided evidence of alternate splicing of transcripts from that gene. ..