Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on aged in Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Locale: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Publications928 found, 100 shown here
- Jasuja G, Travison T, Davda M, Murabito J, Basaria S, Zhang A, et al. Age trends in estradiol and estrone levels measured using liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry in community-dwelling men of the Framingham Heart Study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2013;68:733-40 pubmed publisher..Longitudinal studies are needed to confirm these findings. ..
- DEVORE E, Kang J, Stampfer M, Grodstein F. The association of antioxidants and cognition in the Nurses' Health Study. Am J Epidemiol. 2013;177:33-41 pubmed publisher..Overall, long-term vitamin E and C intakes were not consistently related to cognition, although greater consumption of carotenoids may have cognitive benefits in older adults. ..
- Kobayashi S, Canepa H, Bailey A, Nakayama S, Yamaguchi N, Goldstein M, et al. Compound EGFR mutations and response to EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitors. J Thorac Oncol. 2013;8:45-51 pubmed publisher..Reporting of the genotype-response pattern of NSCLCs with EGFR compound and other rare mutations, and the addition of this information to searchable databases, will be helpful to select the appropriate therapy for EGFR-mutated NSCLC. ..
- Buckley L, Carter D, Matta L, Cheng J, Stevens C, Belenkiy R, et al. Intravenous Diuretic Therapy for the Management of Heart Failure and Volume Overload in a Multidisciplinary Outpatient Unit. JACC Heart Fail. 2016;4:1-8 pubmed publisher..This strategy may provide an alternative to hospitalization for the management of selected HF patients. ..
- Schuler M, Wu Y, Hirsh V, O Byrne K, Yamamoto N, Mok T, et al. First-Line Afatinib versus Chemotherapy in Patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer and Common Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Gene Mutations and Brain Metastases. J Thorac Oncol. 2016;11:380-90 pubmed publisher..Safety findings were consistent with previous reports. These findings lend support to the clinical activity of afatinib in EGFR mutation-positive patients with NSCLC and asymptomatic brain metastases. ..
- Jaywant A, Wasserman V, Kemppainen M, Neargarder S, Cronin Golomb A. Perception of Communicative and Non-communicative Motion-Defined Gestures in Parkinson's Disease. J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 2016;22:540-50 pubmed publisher..Men with PD may have particular difficulty in understanding the communicative gestures of others in interpersonal exchanges. ..
- Wang T, Huang T, Heianza Y, Sun D, Zheng Y, Ma W, et al. Genetic Susceptibility, Change in Physical Activity, and Long-term Weight Gain. Diabetes. 2017;66:2704-2712 pubmed publisher..001). Similar but marginal interactions were observed for the BMI-GRS (P for interaction = 0.045). Our data indicate that the genetic susceptibility to weight gain may be diminished by increasing physical activity. ..
- Loo D. Onychomycosis in the elderly : drug treatment options. Drugs Aging. 2007;24:293-302 pubmed..However, nail lacquers may be a good option as monotherapy for patients with superficial white onychomycosis or in combination with systemic antifungal therapy for patients with predisposing factors for poor response or recurrence. ..
- Lanuti M, de Delva P, Gaissert H, Wright C, Wain J, Allan J, et al. Review of superior vena cava resection in the management of benign disease and pulmonary or mediastinal malignancies. Ann Thorac Surg. 2009;88:392-7 pubmed publisher..We analyzed the operative results, graft patency, and survival in patients undergoing SVC resection and reconstruction for benign disease and pulmonary or mediastinal malignancy...
- Jakobiec F, Mehta M, Iwamoto M, Hatton M, Thakker M, Fay A. Intratarsal keratinous cysts of the Meibomian gland: distinctive clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical features in 6 cases. Am J Ophthalmol. 2010;149:82-94 pubmed publisher..To describe 6 patients representing a new entity of Meibomian gland keratinous cysts...
- Kelleher C, Buckalew V, Frederickson E, Rhodes D, Conner D, Seidman J, et al. CLCN5 mutation Ser244Leu is associated with X-linked renal failure without X-linked recessive hypophosphatemic rickets. Kidney Int. 1998;53:31-7 pubmed..We hypothesize that genetic background, environment, diet, or an unidentified modifying gene may account for the differing phenotypes resulting from this shared gene defect...
- Ochoa E, Harris N, Pilch B. Marginal zone B-cell lymphoma of the salivary gland arising in chronic sclerosing sialadenitis (Küttner tumor). Am J Surg Pathol. 2001;25:1546-50 pubmed..This case suggests that chronic inflammatory processes other than Sjögren's syndrome may provide a substrate for the development of MALT lymphoma. ..
- Wu O, Østergaard L, Weisskoff R, Benner T, Rosen B, Sorensen A. Tracer arrival timing-insensitive technique for estimating flow in MR perfusion-weighted imaging using singular value decomposition with a block-circulant deconvolution matrix. Magn Reson Med. 2003;50:164-74 pubmed..Shift maps can continue to provide a sensitive reflection of disturbed hemodynamics. ..
- Temel J, Greer J, Goldberg S, Vogel P, Sullivan M, Pirl W, et al. A structured exercise program for patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2009;4:595-601 pubmed publisher..Those who completed the program experienced an improvement in their lung cancer symptoms. Community-based or briefer exercise interventions may be more feasible in this population. ..
- Shahian D, O Brien S, Filardo G, Ferraris V, Haan C, Rich J, et al. The Society of Thoracic Surgeons 2008 cardiac surgery risk models: part 3--valve plus coronary artery bypass grafting surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2009;88:S43-62 pubmed publisher..These are the first valve plus CABG models that also include risk prediction for individual major morbidities, composite major morbidity or mortality, and short and prolonged length of stay. ..
- Bonaca M, Scirica B, Sabatine M, Dalby A, Spinar J, Murphy S, et al. Prospective evaluation of the prognostic implications of improved assay performance with a sensitive assay for cardiac troponin I. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;55:2118-24 pubmed publisher..These findings support current American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association recommendations defining MI, and the incremental value of newer, more sensitive assays in identifying high-risk patients with ACS. ..
- Lindenberg R, Zhu L, Rüber T, Schlaug G. Predicting functional motor potential in chronic stroke patients using diffusion tensor imaging. Hum Brain Mapp. 2012;33:1040-51 pubmed publisher..Diffusivity parameters of individual tracts and tract combinations may help in assessing a patient's individual recovery potential and in determining optimal neurorehabilitative interventions. ..
- Sebastiani P, Solovieff N, Dewan A, Walsh K, Puca A, Hartley S, et al. Genetic signatures of exceptional longevity in humans. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e29848 pubmed publisher..The correlation between 3 signatures and 3 different life spans was replicated in the combined replication sets. The different signatures may help dissect this complex phenotype into sub-phenotypes of exceptional longevity. ..
- Kimball A, Pariser D, Yamauchi P, Menter A, Teller C, Shi Y, et al. OBSERVE-5 interim analysis: an observational postmarketing safety registry of etanercept for the treatment of psoriasis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013;68:756-64 pubmed publisher..Etanercept demonstrated good tolerability in patients with plaque psoriasis in the clinical setting in this interim analysis. No new or unexpected safety concerns were observed. ..
- Roberts D, Lin H, Bhattacharyya N. Health care practice patterns for balance disorders in the elderly. Laryngoscope. 2013;123:2539-43 pubmed publisher..Characterize health care practice patterns for balance disorders in the elderly...
- Bowers A, Keeney K, Peli E. Randomized crossover clinical trial of real and sham peripheral prism glasses for hemianopia. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2014;132:214-22 pubmed publisher..Peripheral prism glasses provide a simple and inexpensive mobility rehabilitation intervention for hemianopia. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00494676. ..
- Ramsden C, ZAMORA D, Makriyannis A, Wood J, Mann J, Faurot K, et al. Diet-induced changes in n-3- and n-6-derived endocannabinoids and reductions in headache pain and psychological distress. J Pain. 2015;16:707-16 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that dietary interventions could provide an effective, complementary approach for managing chronic pain and related conditions. ..
- Yu J, Mehran R, Clayton T, Gibson C, Brodie B, Witzenbichler B, et al. Prediction of 1-year mortality and impact of bivalirudin therapy according to level of baseline risk: A patient-level pooled analysis from three randomized trials. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2016;87:391-400 pubmed publisher..09 and P = 0.02, respectively). In patients undergoing invasive coronary evaluation, 1-year mortality can be predicted using baseline variables. Bivalirudin treatment (versus HEP/GPI) conferred a survival benefit. ..
- Dijkink S, Fuentes E, Quraishi S, Cropano C, Kaafarani H, Lee J, et al. Nutrition in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit: The Cost of Starting Low and Ramping Up Rates. Nutr Clin Pract. 2016;31:86-90 pubmed publisher..Starting EN immediately at goal rate may eliminate a significant proportion of macronutrient deficit in the SICU. ..
- Magnani J, Gorodeski E, Johnson V, Sullivan L, Hamburg N, Benjamin E, et al. P wave duration is associated with cardiovascular and all-cause mortality outcomes: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Heart Rhythm. 2011;8:93-100 pubmed publisher..S. sample, P wave duration was significantly associated with increased cardiovascular and all-cause mortality. P wave duration may reflect subclinical disease and merits elucidation as a marker of risk for adverse outcomes. ..
- Wee J, Sepic J, Mihaljevic T, Cohn L. Metastatic carcinoid tumor of the heart. Ann Thorac Surg. 2003;76:1721-2 pubmed..He was found to have a septal implantation of a previously undiagnosed metastatic carcinoid tumor. He underwent successful resection with an uneventful postoperative course. ..
- Stewart E, Morton C. The genetics of uterine leiomyomata: what clinicians need to know. Obstet Gynecol. 2006;107:917-21 pubmed..The current role of family medical history and future implications of genes relevant to leiomyoma biology will be reviewed. ..
- Callow A. Cardiovascular disease 2005--the global picture. Vascul Pharmacol. 2006;45:302-7 pubmed..Defeating such an initiative are other priorities such as education, housing, transportation, defense, as well as ignorance. The Earth Institute has labeled the needed effort, "A Race Against Time". ..
- Hunter D, Niu J, Felson D, Harvey W, Gross K, McCree P, et al. Knee alignment does not predict incident osteoarthritis: the Framingham osteoarthritis study. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56:1212-8 pubmed..These results suggest that malalignment is not a risk factor for OA, but rather is a marker of disease severity and/or its progression. ..
- Wang F, Hu H, Schwartz J, Weuve J, Spiro A, Sparrow D, et al. Modifying effects of the HFE polymorphisms on the association between lead burden and cognitive decline. Environ Health Perspect. 2007;115:1210-5 pubmed..As iron and lead promote oxidative damage, and hemochromatosis (HFE) gene polymorphisms increase body iron burden, HFE variant alleles may modify the lead burden and cognitive decline relationship...
- Shin S, Pasechnikov A, Gelmanova I, Peremitin G, Strelis A, Mishustin S, et al. Adverse reactions among patients being treated for MDR-TB in Tomsk, Russia. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2007;11:1314-20 pubmed..Treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) is challenging because of the toxicity of second-line medications. Little is known about whether adverse events impact treatment outcome...
- Shen K, Wain J, Wright C, Grillo H, Mathisen D. Postpneumonectomy syndrome: surgical management and long-term results. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2008;135:1210-6; discussion 1216-9 pubmed publisher..Surgical repositioning provides immediate and lasting symptomatic relief to patients in whom postpneumonectomy syndrome develops. ..
- Shatos M, Hodges R, Oshi Y, Bair J, Zoukhri D, Kublin C, et al. Role of cPKCalpha and nPKCepsilon in EGF-stimulated goblet cell proliferation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:614-20 pubmed publisher..Incubation with Ad WTPKCalpha alone significantly increased proliferation. cPKCalpha and nPKCepsilon play key roles in conjunctival goblet cell proliferation. ..
- Jackman D, Miller V, Cioffredi L, Yeap B, Janne P, Riely G, et al. Impact of epidermal growth factor receptor and KRAS mutations on clinical outcomes in previously untreated non-small cell lung cancer patients: results of an online tumor registry of clinical trials. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:5267-73 pubmed publisher..Patients harboring sensitizing EGFR mutations should be considered for first-line erlotinib or gefitinib. ..
- Christen W, Glynn R, Chew E, Buring J. Low-dose aspirin and medical record-confirmed age-related macular degeneration in a randomized trial of women. Ophthalmology. 2009;116:2386-92 pubmed publisher..82; 95% confidence interval, 0.64-1.06). In a large-scale randomized trial of female health professionals with 10 years of treatment and follow-up, low-dose aspirin had no large beneficial or harmful effect on risk of AMD. ..
- Jafri H, Alsheikh Ali A, Karas R. Baseline and on-treatment high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and the risk of cancer in randomized controlled trials of lipid-altering therapy. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;55:2846-54 pubmed publisher..001). There is a significant inverse association between HDL-C and the risk of incident cancer that is independent of LDL-C, age, BMI, diabetes, sex, and smoking. ..
- Hu R, Dawood S, Holmes M, Collins L, Schnitt S, Cole K, et al. Androgen receptor expression and breast cancer survival in postmenopausal women. Clin Cancer Res. 2011;17:1867-74 pubmed publisher..Thus, determination of AR status may provide additional information on prognosis for postmenopausal women with breast cancer, and provide novel opportunities for targeted therapy. ..
- Jayarao M, Devaiah A, Chin L. Utility and safety of the flexible-fiber CO2 laser in endoscopic endonasal transsphenoidal surgery. World Neurosurg. 2011;76:149-55 pubmed publisher..Further studies are recommended to further define its role in endoscopic endonasal sellar surgery. ..
- Amariglio R, Becker J, Carmasin J, Wadsworth L, Lorius N, Sullivan C, et al. Subjective cognitive complaints and amyloid burden in cognitively normal older individuals. Neuropsychologia. 2012;50:2880-6 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that SCC may be an early indicator of AD pathology detectable prior to significant objective impairment. ..
- Izano M, Fung T, Chiuve S, Hu F, Holmes M. Are diet quality scores after breast cancer diagnosis associated with improved breast cancer survival?. Nutr Cancer. 2013;65:820-6 pubmed publisher..However, healthy dietary choices after breast cancer were associated with reduced risk of nonbreast cancer mortality in women with breast cancer. ..
- Weinstein G, Beiser A, Choi S, Preis S, Chen T, Vorgas D, et al. Serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor and the risk for dementia: the Framingham Heart Study. JAMA Neurol. 2014;71:55-61 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest a role for BDNF in the biology and possibly in the prevention of dementia and AD, especially in select subgroups of women and older and more highly educated persons. ..
- Jiang S, Venners S, Hsu Y, Weinstock J, Wang B, Xing H, et al. Interactive Effect of the KCNJ11 Ile337Val Polymorphism and Cigarette Smoking on the Antihypertensive Response to Irbesartan in Chinese Hypertensive Patients. Am J Hypertens. 2016;29:553-9 pubmed publisher..001). The interactive effect of smoking status and the KCNJ11 genotype may influence the antihypertensive effects of irbesartan, which indicates a consideration for future individualized antihypertensive drug treatment. ..
- Lin C, Bruinooge S, Kirkwood M, Hershman D, Jemal A, Guadagnolo B, et al. Association Between Geographic Access to Cancer Care and Receipt of Radiation Therapy for Rectal Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016;94:719-28 pubmed publisher..Further research of geographic access and establishing transportation assistance programs or lodging services for patients with an unmet need might help decrease geographic barriers and improve the quality of rectal cancer care. ..
- Ravid S, Podrid P, Lampert S, Lown B. Congestive heart failure induced by six of the newer antiarrhythmic drugs. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1989;14:1326-30 pubmed
- Malhotra A, Huang Y, Fogel R, Pillar G, Edwards J, Kikinis R, et al. The male predisposition to pharyngeal collapse: importance of airway length. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002;166:1388-95 pubmed..This study suggests that the male predisposition to pharyngeal collapse is anatomically based, primarily as the result of an increased length of vulnerable airway as well as increased soft palate size. ..
- Palmer L, Scurrah K, Tobin M, Patel S, Celedon J, Burton P, et al. Genome-wide linkage analysis of longitudinal phenotypes using sigma2A random effects (SSARs) fitted by Gibbs sampling. BMC Genet. 2003;4 Suppl 1:S12 pubmed..We have now demonstrated in this paper the use of SSARs in the context of longitudinal family data. ..
- Brito L, Teles F, Teles R, França E, Ribeiro Sobrinho A, Haffajee A, et al. Use of multiple-displacement amplification and checkerboard DNA-DNA hybridization to examine the microbiota of endodontic infections. J Clin Microbiol. 2007;45:3039-49 pubmed..Species commonly detected in endodontic samples included P. tannerae, Prevotella oris, and A. baumannii. ..
- Hu J, Silletti J, Williams S. Initial experience with robot-assisted minimally-invasive nephroureterectomy. J Endourol. 2008;22:699-704 pubmed publisher..Laparoscopic nephroureterectomy with robot-assisted extravesical excision of the distal ureter and bladder cuff appears to be a feasible alternative for patients with TCC of the upper urinary tract. ..
- Kiely D, Prigerson H, Mitchell S. Health care proxy grief symptoms before the death of nursing home residents with advanced dementia. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2008;16:664-73 pubmed publisher..Predeath grief symptoms are associated with, but distinct from, those of depression. Several factors identified HCPs at higher risk for predeath grief and who may benefit from early interventions to reduce suffering. ..
- Lewis G, Wei R, Liu E, Yang E, Shi X, Martinovic M, et al. Metabolite profiling of blood from individuals undergoing planned myocardial infarction reveals early markers of myocardial injury. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:3503-12 pubmed publisher..Our results identify a role for metabolic profiling in the early detection of myocardial injury and suggest that similar approaches may be used for detection or prediction of other disease states. ..
- Shingleton B, Laul A, Nagao K, Wolff B, O Donoghue M, Eagan E, et al. Effect of phacoemulsification on intraocular pressure in eyes with pseudoexfoliation: single-surgeon series. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2008;34:1834-41 pubmed publisher..Glaucoma progression in both groups was low, suggesting a protective effect of phacoemulsification on IOP in these eyes. ..
- Hajjar I, Zhao P, Alsop D, Abduljalil A, Selim M, Novak P, et al. Association of blood pressure elevation and nocturnal dipping with brain atrophy, perfusion and functional measures in stroke and nonstroke individuals. Am J Hypertens. 2010;23:17-23 pubmed publisher..Nocturnal dipping, in addition to elevated blood pressure, should be considered as an additional important target in the clinical evaluation of those at risk for cerebrovascular disease or functional loss. ..
- Stefanik J, Zhu Y, Zumwalt A, Gross K, Clancy M, Lynch J, et al. Association between patella alta and the prevalence and worsening of structural features of patellofemoral joint osteoarthritis: the multicenter osteoarthritis study. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2010;62:1258-65 pubmed publisher..To examine the relationship between patella alta and the prevalence and worsening at followup of structural features of patellofemoral joint (PFJ) osteoarthritis (OA) on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)...
- Nguyen T, Zaidat O, Gupta R, Nogueira R, Tariq N, Kalia J, et al. Balloon angioplasty for intracranial atherosclerotic disease: periprocedural risks and short-term outcomes in a multicenter study. Stroke. 2011;42:107-11 pubmed publisher..Its role in the long-term secondary prevention of recurrent stroke as compared with intracranial stenting and medical therapy remains to be determined, preferably in a randomized study. ..
- Qin W, Bajaj V, Malinowska I, Lu X, MacConaill L, Wu C, et al. Angiomyolipoma have common mutations in TSC2 but no other common genetic events. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24919 pubmed publisher..However, chromosomal translocations and gene fusion events were not assessed here. TSC2 inactivation by mutation is a consistent and likely necessary genetic event in the pathogenesis of most angiomyolipoma...
- Clair C, Rigotti N, Porneala B, Fox C, D Agostino R, Pencina M, et al. Association of smoking cessation and weight change with cardiovascular disease among adults with and without diabetes. JAMA. 2013;309:1014-21 pubmed publisher..This supports a net cardiovascular benefit of smoking cessation, despite subsequent weight gain. ..
- Xing L, Higuma T, Wang Z, Aguirre A, Mizuno K, Takano M, et al. Clinical Significance of Lipid-Rich Plaque Detected by Optical Coherence Tomography: A 4-Year Follow-Up Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:2502-2513 pubmed publisher..The Massachusetts General Hospital Optical Coherence Tomography Registry; NCT01110538). ..
- Hassinger T, Guidry C, Rotstein O, Duane T, Evans H, Cook C, et al. Longer-Duration Antimicrobial Therapy Does Not Prevent Treatment Failure in High-Risk Patients with Complicated Intra-Abdominal Infections. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2017;18:659-663 pubmed publisher..Such patients did not benefit from a longer course of antibiotic administration. Further study is needed to determine the optimum duration of antimicrobial therapy in high-risk patients. ..
- Jeong I, Khandwala Y, Kim J, Han D, Li S, Wang Y, et al. Association of Robotic-Assisted vs Laparoscopic Radical Nephrectomy With Perioperative Outcomes and Health Care Costs, 2003 to 2015. JAMA. 2017;318:1561-1568 pubmed publisher..Use of robotic surgery has increased in urological practice over the last decade. However, the use, outcomes, and costs of robotic nephrectomy are unknown...
- Bavry A, Kumbhani D, Quiroz R, Ramchandani S, Kenchaiah S, Antman E. Invasive therapy along with glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitors and intracoronary stents improves survival in non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndromes: a meta-analysis and review of the literature. Am J Cardiol. 2004;93:830-5 pubmed..Enhanced risk stratification is needed in women and troponin-negative patients so that invasive therapy may be more effectively recommended in these groups. ..
- Cheifetz A, Melmed G, Spiegel B, Talley J, Devlin S, Raffals L, et al. Setting priorities for comparative effectiveness research in inflammatory bowel disease: results of an international provider survey, expert RAND panel, and patient focus groups. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2012;18:2294-300 pubmed publisher..We systematically developed a list of high-priority IBD topics for CER based on a survey of gastroenterologists, expert review, and patient input. This list may guide IBD research toward the most important CER studies. ..
- Seddon J, Sharma S, Chong S, Hutchinson A, Allikmets R, Adelman R. Phenotype and genotype correlations in two best families. Ophthalmology. 2003;110:1724-31 pubmed..The presence of a VMD2 mutation is associated with abnormal retinal function, which can occur in the absence of phenotypic manifestation of macular disease. ..
- Miller M, Hemenway D, Azrael D. Firearms and suicide in the northeast. J Trauma. 2004;57:626-32 pubmed..When it comes to suicide, the availability of household firearms matters-a lot. ..
- Burns J, Zeitels S, Akst L, Broadhurst M, Hillman R, Anderson R. 532 nm pulsed potassium-titanyl-phosphate laser treatment of laryngeal papillomatosis under general anesthesia. Laryngoscope. 2007;117:1500-4 pubmed..All patients reported that their vocal function improved after treatment. The 532 nm pulsed-KTP laser was effective for treating recurrent respiratory papillomatosis, which was similar to our experience as an office-based procedure. ..
- Marzocchetti A, Wuthrich C, Tan C, Tompkins T, Bernal Cano F, Bhargava P, et al. Rearrangement of the JC virus regulatory region sequence in the bone marrow of a patient with rheumatoid arthritis and progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. J Neurovirol. 2008;14:455-8 pubmed publisher..Further studies will be needed to determine the prevalence of JCV in bone marrow of immunosuppressed individuals at risk of PML and characterize the RR and phenotype of these JCV isolates. ..
- Mignone L, Giovannucci E, Newcomb P, Titus Ernstoff L, Trentham Dietz A, Hampton J, et al. Meat consumption, heterocyclic amines, NAT2, and the risk of breast cancer. Nutr Cancer. 2009;61:36-46 pubmed publisher..There were no statistically significant interactions with NAT2 genotype. Results do not support an important association of HCAs with breast cancer risk, although potential biases in case-control studies should be considered. ..
- Niu J, Zhang Y, Torner J, Nevitt M, Lewis C, Aliabadi P, et al. Is obesity a risk factor for progressive radiographic knee osteoarthritis?. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;61:329-35 pubmed publisher..Therefore, weight loss may not be effective in preventing progression of structural damage in OA knees with varus alignment. ..
- Truong M, Kamat U, Liebsch N, Curry W, Lin D, Barker F, et al. Proton radiation therapy for primary sphenoid sinus malignancies: treatment outcome and prognostic factors. Head Neck. 2009;31:1297-308 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to determine treatment outcome and prognostic factors in patients with locally advanced primary sphenoid sinus malignancy treated with proton radiation therapy...
- Bachman E, Feng R, Travison T, Li M, Olbina G, Ostland V, et al. Testosterone suppresses hepcidin in men: a potential mechanism for testosterone-induced erythrocytosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95:4743-7 pubmed publisher..Testosterone administration is associated with suppression of serum hepcidin. Greater increases in hematocrit in older men during testosterone therapy are related to greater suppression of hepcidin. ..
- Baron R, Hesse E. Update on bone anabolics in osteoporosis treatment: rationale, current status, and perspectives. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012;97:311-25 pubmed publisher..Each of these anabolic approaches has its own limitations and safety issues, but the prospects of effective anabolic therapy for osteoporosis are indeed bright. ..
- Schwartz J, Alexeeff S, Mordukhovich I, Gryparis A, Vokonas P, Suh H, et al. Association between long-term exposure to traffic particles and blood pressure in the Veterans Administration Normative Aging Study. Occup Environ Med. 2012;69:422-7 pubmed publisher..77 to 3.05). Long-term exposure to traffic particles is associated with increased BP, which may explain part of the association with myocardial infarctions and cardiovascular deaths reported in cohort studies. ..
- Matulonis U, Sharma S, Ghamande S, Gordon M, Del Prete S, Ray Coquard I, et al. Phase II study of MLN8237 (alisertib), an investigational Aurora A kinase inhibitor, in patients with platinum-resistant or -refractory epithelial ovarian, fallopian tube, or primary peritoneal carcinoma. Gynecol Oncol. 2012;127:63-9 pubmed publisher..MLN8237 is currently undergoing evaluation in a phase I/II trial with paclitaxel in recurrent ovarian cancer. ..
- Banigan M, Kao P, Kozubek J, Winslow A, Medina J, Costa J, et al. Differential expression of exosomal microRNAs in prefrontal cortices of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder patients. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e48814 pubmed publisher..These results warrant future studies to evaluate the potential of exosome-derived miRNAs to serve as biomarkers of SZ and BD. ..
- Roy S, Cole B, Gilmore L, De Luca C, Thomas C, Saint Hilaire M, et al. High-resolution tracking of motor disorders in Parkinson's disease during unconstrained activity. Mov Disord. 2013;28:1080-7 pubmed publisher..These initial findings indicate that new sensor technology and software algorithms can be effective in enhancing wearable sensor-based system performance for monitoring PD motor disorders during unconstrained activities. ..
- Li S, Chiuve S, Flint A, Pai J, Forman J, Hu F, et al. Better diet quality and decreased mortality among myocardial infarction survivors. JAMA Intern Med. 2013;173:1808-18 pubmed publisher..Myocardial infarction survivors who consume a higher-quality diet, which has been associated with a lower risk of coronary heart disease in primary prevention, have lower subsequent all-cause mortality. ..
- Verstovsek S, Tam C, Wadleigh M, Sokol L, Smith C, Bui L, et al. Phase I evaluation of XL019, an oral, potent, and selective JAK2 inhibitor. Leuk Res. 2014;38:316-22 pubmed publisher..Myelosuppression was minimal. The terminal half-life of XL019 was approximately 21 h, with steady state reached by Day 8. International Working Group defined responses were seen in three (10%) patients. ..
- Barzilay J, BÅ¯Å¾kovÃ¡ P, Kizer J, DjoussÃ© L, Ix J, Fink H, et al. Fibrosis markers, hip fracture risk, and bone density in older adults. Osteoporos Int. 2016;27:815-20 pubmed publisher..The reasons for these differences between men and women regarding TGF-Î²1 levels and hip fracture risk and bone density require further investigation. ..
- Djousse L, Gaziano J, Buring J, Lee I. Egg consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes in men and women. Diabetes Care. 2009;32:295-300 pubmed publisher..0001). These data suggest that high levels of egg consumption (daily) are associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes in men and women. Confirmation of these findings in other populations is warranted. ..
- Lehman S, Abbara S, Cury R, Nagurney J, Hsu J, Goela A, et al. Significance of cardiac computed tomography incidental findings in acute chest pain. Am J Med. 2009;122:543-9 pubmed publisher..The prevalence and clinical significance of these findings have not been well described...
- Zhang X, Cole E, Pillar A, Lane M, Waheed N, Adhi M, et al. The Effect of Change in Intraocular Pressure on Choroidal Structure in Glaucomatous Eyes. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:3278-3285 pubmed publisher..18). There was also no association between IOP and the light-dark ratio (P = 0.16). The increase in choroidal thickness at lower IOP is associated with approximately equal increases in its intravascular and extravascular compartments. ..
- Kang P, Preston D, Raynor E. Involvement of superficial peroneal sensory nerve in common peroneal neuropathy. Muscle Nerve. 2005;31:725-9 pubmed..This is an important pattern to recognize; from a practical standpoint, focal segmental conduction abnormalities in the motor nerve and EMG findings can help to differentiate these lesions from L-5 radiculopathy. ..
- Heist R, Marshall A, Liu G, Zhou W, Su L, Neuberg D, et al. Matrix metalloproteinase polymorphisms and survival in stage I non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2006;12:5448-53 pubmed..07-2.41, P=0.02]. None of the other MMP polymorphisms was significantly associated with survival. Our results show that patients with stage I NSCLC carrying the variant G allele of the MMP-12 1082A/G polymorphism have worse survival. ..
- Burstein H, Chen Y, Parker L, Savoie J, Younger J, Kuter I, et al. VEGF as a marker for outcome among advanced breast cancer patients receiving anti-VEGF therapy with bevacizumab and vinorelbine chemotherapy. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:7871-7 pubmed publisher..Plasma VEGF warrants further evaluation as a prognostic marker for treatment outcome in advanced breast cancer patients receiving anti-VEGF therapy. ..
- Roque P, Mankin H, Malchau H. Proximal femoral allograft: prognostic indicators. J Arthroplasty. 2010;25:1028-33 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, allograft implantation especially for aggressive or malignant tumors of the proximal femur appears to be a competent system for therapy. ..
- Lee S, Ozden N, Pawa R, Hwangbo Y, Pleskow D, Chuttani R, et al. Periductal hypoechoic sign: an endosonographic finding associated with pancreatic malignancy. Gastrointest Endosc. 2010;71:249-55 pubmed publisher..A retrospective design. The PHS was an accurate and independent predictor of pancreatic malignancy in patients with a dilated pancreatic duct. ..
- Kwon Y, Ostlere S, McLardy Smith P, Athanasou N, Gill H, Murray D. "Asymptomatic" pseudotumors after metal-on-metal hip resurfacing arthroplasty: prevalence and metal ion study. J Arthroplasty. 2011;26:511-8 pubmed publisher..Clinicians need to be aware of pseudotumors as a differential diagnosis during clinical evaluation of MoMHRA patients, and further imaging such as ultrasound or magnetic resonance imaging is recommended to confirm the diagnosis. ..