Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on zebrafish proteins in Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Locale: Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Topic: zebrafish proteins
- Hong S, Haldin C, Lawson N, Weinstein B, Dawid I, Hukriede N. The zebrafish kohtalo/trap230 gene is required for the development of the brain, neural crest, and pronephric kidney. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:18473-8 pubmed..These results suggest that critical targets of TRAP230 function may include proteins important for cell mobility, cell sorting, and tissue assembly. ..
- Toyama R, Chen X, Jhawar N, Aamar E, Epstein J, Reany N, et al. Transcriptome analysis of the zebrafish pineal gland. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1813-26 pubmed publisher..Among the multiple candidate genes suggested by these data, we note the identification of a tissue-specific form of the unc119 gene with a possible role in pineal development. ..
- Kudoh T, Dawid I. Zebrafish mab21l2 is specifically expressed in the presumptive eye and tectum from early somitogenesis onwards. Mech Dev. 2001;109:95-8 pubmed..In the noi/pax2.1 mutant, mab21l2 is down-regulated and the size of the tectum remains small, whereas in the ace/fgf8 mutant, mab21l2 expression persists although the shape of the tectum is altered. ..
- Dutta S, Dawid I. Kctd15 inhibits neural crest formation by attenuating Wnt/beta-catenin signaling output. Development. 2010;137:3013-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that Kctd15 inhibits NC formation by attenuating the output of the canonical Wnt pathway, thereby restricting expansion of the NC domain beyond its normal range. ..
- Toyama R, Kim M, Rebbert M, Gonzales J, BURGESS H, Dawid I. Habenular commissure formation in zebrafish is regulated by the pineal gland-specific gene unc119c. Dev Dyn. 2013;242:1033-42 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Unc119c, together with Arl3l1/2, plays an important role in modulating Wnt4a production and secretion during HC formation in the forebrain of the zebrafish embryo. ..
- Xu H, Ye D, Behra M, Burgess S, Chen S, Lin F. Gβ1 controls collective cell migration by regulating the protrusive activity of leader cells in the posterior lateral line primordium. Dev Biol. 2014;385:316-27 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data indicate that Gβ1 controls migration of the pLLP, likely by acting downstream of the Cxcl12a/Cxcr4b signaling. This study also provides compelling evidence for functional specificity among Gβ isoforms in vivo. ..
- Alam H, Shults C, Ahuja N, Ayuste E, Chen H, Koustova E, et al. Impact of resuscitation strategies on the acetylation status of cardiac histones in a swine model of hemorrhage. Resuscitation. 2008;76:299-310 pubmed..Resuscitation with KR causes histone acetylation at the largest number of lysine sites (predominately H3 subunit), and has the most pronounced impact on the transcriptional regulation of selected (immediate-early response) genes. ..
- Lawson N, Scheer N, Pham V, Kim C, Chitnis A, Campos Ortega J, et al. Notch signaling is required for arterial-venous differentiation during embryonic vascular development. Development. 2001;128:3675-83 pubmed..Movies available on-line ..
- Embree L, Azuma M, Hickstein D. Ewing sarcoma fusion protein EWSR1/FLI1 interacts with EWSR1 leading to mitotic defects in zebrafish embryos and human cell lines. Cancer Res. 2009;69:4363-71 pubmed publisher..This interaction between EWSR1/FLI1 and EWSR1 in Ewing sarcoma may induce mitotic defects leading to genomic instability and subsequent malignant transformation. ..
- Torres Vazquez J, Gitler A, Fraser S, Berk J, Van N Pham -, Fishman M, et al. Semaphorin-plexin signaling guides patterning of the developing vasculature. Dev Cell. 2004;7:117-23 pubmed..These results reveal the fundamental conservation of repulsive patterning mechanisms between axonal migration in the central nervous system and vascular endothelium during angiogenesis. ..
- Hong S, Dawid I. FGF-dependent left-right asymmetry patterning in zebrafish is mediated by Ier2 and Fibp1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:2230-5 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Ier2 and Fibp1 mediate FGF signaling in ciliogenesis in Kupffer's Vesicle and in the establishment of laterality in the zebrafish embryo. ..
- Ro H, Dawid I. Lnx-2b restricts gsc expression to the dorsal mesoderm by limiting Nodal and Bozozok activity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;402:626-30 pubmed publisher..This report provides a novel mechanism for limiting dorsal organizer specification to a defined region of the early zebrafish embryo. ..
- Toyama R, O Connell M, Wright C, Kuehn M, Dawid I. Nodal induces ectopic goosecoid and lim1 expression and axis duplication in zebrafish. Development. 1995;121:383-91 pubmed..These results suggest a role for a nodal-like factor in pattern formation in zebrafish. ..
- Ulrich F, Carretero Ortega J, MenÃ©ndez J, Narvaez C, Sun B, Lancaster E, et al. Reck enables cerebrovascular development by promoting canonical Wnt signaling. Development. 2016;143:147-59 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings have broad implications for both vascular and cancer biology. ..
- Kim M, Liu I, Song Y, Lee J, Halfter W, Balice Gordon R, et al. Agrin is required for posterior development and motor axon outgrowth and branching in embryonic zebrafish. Glycobiology. 2007;17:231-47 pubmed..Together these results show that agrin plays an important role in both peripheral and CNS development and also modulates posterior development in zebrafish. ..
- Jin T, Huang M, Smith P, Jiang J, Xiao T. Structure of the caspase-recruitment domain from a zebrafish guanylate-binding protein. Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun. 2013;69:855-60 pubmed publisher..Further studies using binding assays and other analyses will be required in order to address the physiological function(s) of this zebrafish protein. ..
- Matsuda M, Chitnis A. Atoh1a expression must be restricted by Notch signaling for effective morphogenesis of the posterior lateral line primordium in zebrafish. Development. 2010;137:3477-87 pubmed publisher..Together, our observations reveal a genetic regulatory network that explains why atoh1a expression must be restricted by Notch signaling for effective morphogenesis of the pLLp. ..
- Kudoh T, Dawid I. Role of the iroquois3 homeobox gene in organizer formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:7852-7 pubmed..We propose that the iro3-expressing dorsal deep cells represent a distinct organizer domain that receives signals from the YSL and in turn sends signals to the forming shield, thereby influencing its expansion and differentiation. ..
- Kawahara A, Wilm T, Solnica Krezel L, Dawid I. Antagonistic role of vega1 and bozozok/dharma homeobox genes in organizer formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:12121-6 pubmed..We propose that boz/dha-dependent down-regulation of vega1 in the dorsal region is an early essential step in organizer formation in zebrafish. ..
- Pei W, Noushmehr H, Costa J, Ouspenskaia M, Elkahloun A, Feldman B. An early requirement for maternal FoxH1 during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2007;310:10-22 pubmed..Our studies thus point to an essential role for maternal FoxH1 and downstream keratins during gastrulation that is epistatic to Nodal signaling. ..
- Pei W, Williams P, Clark M, Stemple D, Feldman B. Environmental and genetic modifiers of squint penetrance during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2007;308:368-78 pubmed..Therefore, Sqt may confer an evolutionary advantage by protecting early-stage embryos against detrimental interacting alleles and environmental challenges. ..
- Jia S, Omelchenko M, Garland D, Vasiliou V, Kanungo J, Spencer M, et al. Duplicated gelsolin family genes in zebrafish: a novel scinderin-like gene (scinla) encodes the major corneal crystallin. FASEB J. 2007;21:3318-28 pubmed..Our data suggest that scinla and scinlb are diverged paralogs of the vertebrate scinderin gene and show that scinla encodes the zebrafish corneal crystallin previously called C/L-gelsolin. ..
- Keller M, Chitnis A. Insights into the evolutionary history of the vertebrate zic3 locus from a teleost-specific zic6 gene in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Dev Genes Evol. 2007;217:541-7 pubmed..We present evidence that zic6 is an ancestral locus arising by chromosomal duplication early in the Euteleostomi that was subsequently lost in the terrestrial vertebrates. ..
- Covacu R, Philip H, Jaronen M, Almeida J, Kenison J, Darko S, et al. System-wide Analysis of the T Cell Response. Cell Rep. 2016;14:2733-44 pubmed publisher..These features of vertebrate public TCRs might provide a mechanism for the rapid generation of protective T cell immunity, allowing a short temporal window for the development of more specific private T cell responses. ..
- Kawahara A, Chien C, Dawid I. The homeobox gene mbx is involved in eye and tectum development. Dev Biol. 2002;248:107-17 pubmed..Based on these data, we propose that the mbx homeobox gene is required for the development of the eyes and tectum. ..
- Matsuo Takasaki M, Lim J, Beanan M, Sato S, Sargent T. Cloning and expression of a novel zinc finger gene, Fez, transcribed in the forebrain of Xenopus and mouse embryos. Mech Dev. 2000;93:201-4 pubmed..The mouse homologue of Fez is similarly expressed in the mouse forebrain by embryonic day 11. ..
- Gould T, Gray N, Manji H. Effects of a glycogen synthase kinase-3 inhibitor, lithium, in adenomatous polyposis coli mutant mice. Pharmacol Res. 2003;48:49-53 pubmed..These results are consistent with the available epidemiological evidence that long-term lithium therapy does not increase cancer morbidity or mortality, but rather is associated with reduced overall mortality in bipolar disorder. ..
- Bierie B, Edwin M, Melenhorst J, Hennighausen L. The proliferation associated nuclear element (PANE1) is conserved between mammals and fish and preferentially expressed in activated lymphoid cells. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;4:389-95 pubmed..In B- and T-cells PANE1 RNA was only detected after the respective cell types were activated either in vivo or in vitro. ..
- de la Cruz J, Bamford R, Burdine R, Roessler E, Barkovich A, Donnai D, et al. A loss-of-function mutation in the CFC domain of TDGF1 is associated with human forebrain defects. Hum Genet. 2002;110:422-8 pubmed..The mutant protein is inactive in a zebrafish rescue assay, indicating a role for TDGF1 in human midline and forebrain development...
- Ro H, Dawid I. Modulation of Tcf3 repressor complex composition regulates cdx4 expression in zebrafish. EMBO J. 2011;30:2894-907 pubmed publisher..We propose that the modulation of Tcf3 repressor function by E4f1 assures precise and robust regulation of cdx4 expression in the caudal domain of the embryo. ..
- Sperber S, Dawid I. barx1 is necessary for ectomesenchyme proliferation and osteochondroprogenitor condensation in the zebrafish pharyngeal arches. Dev Biol. 2008;321:101-10 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate an essential role for barx1 at early stages of chondrogenesis within the developing zebrafish viscerocranium. ..
- Dutta S, Dietrich J, Westerfield M, Varga Z. Notch signaling regulates endocrine cell specification in the zebrafish anterior pituitary. Dev Biol. 2008;319:248-57 pubmed publisher..We propose that Notch mediated lateral inhibition regulates the relative numbers of specified hormone cell types in the three pituitary subdomains. ..
- Blake T, Adya N, Kim C, Oates A, Zon L, Chitnis A, et al. Zebrafish homolog of the leukemia gene CBFB: its expression during embryogenesis and its relationship to scl and gata-1 in hematopoiesis. Blood. 2000;96:4178-84 pubmed..Our results indicate that cbfb is expressed in early hematopoietic progenitors and that its expression pattern in the hematopoietic mutants is similar to that of scl. (Blood. 2000;96:4178-4184) ..
- Pan W, Pham V, Stratman A, Castranova D, Kamei M, Kidd K, et al. CDP-diacylglycerol synthetase-controlled phosphoinositide availability limits VEGFA signaling and vascular morphogenesis. Blood. 2012;120:489-98 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that availability of CDS-controlled resynthesis of phosphoinositides is essential for angiogenesis. ..
- Matsuda M, Nogare D, Somers K, Martin K, Wang C, Chitnis A. Lef1 regulates Dusp6 to influence neuromast formation and spacing in the zebrafish posterior lateral line primordium. Development. 2013;140:2387-97 pubmed publisher..This is associated with progressively slower PLLp migration, reduced spacing between deposited neuromasts and premature termination of the PLLp system. ..
- Brown J, Dutta S, Bharti K, Bonner R, Munson P, Dawid I, et al. Expression profiling during ocular development identifies 2 Nlz genes with a critical role in optic fissure closure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:1462-7 pubmed publisher..We also identify misregulation of pax2 in the developing eye of morphant fish, suggesting that Nlz1 and Nlz2 act upstream of the Pax2 pathway in directing proper closure of the optic fissure. ..
- Aamar E, Dawid I. Protocadherin-18a has a role in cell adhesion, behavior and migration in zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2008;318:335-46 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a role for Pcdh18a in cell adhesion, migration and behavior but not cell specification during gastrula and segmentation stages of development. ..
- Liu C, Nakamura E, Knezevic V, Hunter S, Thompson K, Mackem S. A role for the mesenchymal T-box gene Brachyury in AER formation during limb development. Development. 2003;130:1327-37 pubmed
- Brown J, Snir M, Noushmehr H, Kirby M, Hong S, Elkahloun A, et al. Transcriptional profiling of endogenous germ layer precursor cells identifies dusp4 as an essential gene in zebrafish endoderm specification. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:12337-42 pubmed publisher..This specific loss of sox17 establishes a new class of endoderm specification defect. ..
- Roman B, Pham V, Lawson N, Kulik M, Childs S, Lekven A, et al. Disruption of acvrl1 increases endothelial cell number in zebrafish cranial vessels. Development. 2002;129:3009-19 pubmed..Movies available on-line ..
- Liu L, Alexa K, Cortes M, Schatzman Bone S, Kim A, Mukhopadhyay B, et al. Cannabinoid receptor signaling regulates liver development and metabolism. Development. 2016;143:609-22 pubmed publisher..Our work describes a novel developmental role for EC signaling, whereby Cnr-mediated regulation of Srebfs and methionine metabolism impacts liver development and function. ..
- Aamar E, Dawid I. Isolation and expression analysis of foxj1 and foxj1.2 in zebrafish embryos. Int J Dev Biol. 2008;52:985-91 pubmed publisher..2, the closest related gene in zebrafish. Foxj1 in zebrafish appears to have similar functions as those reported in other species connected to ciliogenesis and left-right asymmetry. ..
- Cha Y, Fujita M, Butler M, Isogai S, Kochhan E, Siekmann A, et al. Chemokine signaling directs trunk lymphatic network formation along the preexisting blood vasculature. Dev Cell. 2012;22:824-36 pubmed publisher..In addition to providing evidence for a lymphatic vascular guidance mechanism, these results also suggest a molecular basis for the anatomical coalignment of lymphatic and blood vessels. ..
- Hardison A, Lichten L, Banerjee Basu S, Becker T, Burgess S. The zebrafish gene claudinj is essential for normal ear function and important for the formation of the otoliths. Mech Dev. 2005;122:949-58 pubmed
- Varshney G, Huang H, Zhang S, Lu J, Gildea D, Yang Z, et al. The Zebrafish Insertion Collection (ZInC): a web based, searchable collection of zebrafish mutations generated by DNA insertion. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:D861-4 pubmed publisher..In the future, ZInC may include data from other insertional mutation projects as well. ZInC cross-references all integration data with the ZFIN (http://zfin.org/). ..
- Sood R, English M, Belele C, Jin H, Bishop K, Haskins R, et al. Development of multilineage adult hematopoiesis in the zebrafish with a runx1 truncation mutation. Blood. 2010;115:2806-9 pubmed publisher..Overall, our data suggest that in zebrafish adult HSCs can be formed without an intact runx1...
- Itoh M, Kudoh T, Dedekian M, Kim C, Chitnis A. A role for iro1 and iro7 in the establishment of an anteroposterior compartment of the ectoderm adjacent to the midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Development. 2002;129:2317-27 pubmed
- Pei W, Feldman B. Identification of common and unique modifiers of zebrafish midline bifurcation and cyclopia. Dev Biol. 2009;326:201-11 pubmed publisher..In summary, we find that MB arises after gastrulation in regions that fail to express wnt5b, and we show that two complex dysmorphologies - MB and cyclopia - can be promoted by either common or unique risk factors. ..
- Hong S, Jang M, Brown J, McBride A, Feldman B. Embryonic mesoderm and endoderm induction requires the actions of non-embryonic Nodal-related ligands and Mxtx2. Development. 2011;138:787-95 pubmed publisher..In summary, the induction of mesoderm and endoderm depends upon the combined actions of Mxtx2 and Nodal-related ligands from non-embryonic sources. ..
- Pei W, Kratz L, Bernardini I, Sood R, Yokogawa T, Dorward H, et al. A model of Costeff Syndrome reveals metabolic and protective functions of mitochondrial OPA3. Development. 2010;137:2587-96 pubmed publisher..In summary, this paper introduces a faithful Costeff Syndrome model and demonstrates a requirement for mitochondrial OPA3 to limit HMG-CoA-derived MGC and protect the electron transport chain against inhibitory compounds. ..
- Lyons S, Lawson N, Lei L, Bennett P, Weinstein B, Liu P. A nonsense mutation in zebrafish gata1 causes the bloodless phenotype in vlad tepes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:5454-9 pubmed
- Behra M, Gallardo V, Bradsher J, Torrado A, Elkahloun A, Idol J, et al. Transcriptional signature of accessory cells in the lateral line, using the Tnk1bp1:EGFP transgenic zebrafish line. BMC Dev Biol. 2012;12:6 pubmed publisher..This will prove to be a valuable tool for the study of regeneration in the lateral line of zebrafish in particular and for regeneration of neuroepithelia in general. ..
- Kaur S, Abu Asab M, Abu Abab M, Singla S, Yeo S, Ramchandran R. Expression pattern for unc5b, an axon guidance gene in embryonic zebrafish development. Gene Expr. 2007;13:321-7 pubmed..A similar medial-lateral theme is observed in other neural structures such as the neural tube. Our expression analysis provides a starting point for studying the role of axon guidance genes in embryonic hindbrain patterning. ..
- Lawson N, Weinstein B. In vivo imaging of embryonic vascular development using transgenic zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2002;248:307-18 pubmed
- Jung H, Castranova D, Swift M, Pham V, Venero Galanternik M, Isogai S, et al. Development of the larval lymphatic system in zebrafish. Development. 2017;144:2070-2081 pubmed publisher..Our results show that major trunk lymphatic vessels are conserved in the zebrafish, and provide a thorough and complete description of trunk lymphatic vessel assembly. ..
- Swift M, Pham V, Castranova D, Bell K, Poole R, Weinstein B. SoxF factors and Notch regulate nr2f2 gene expression during venous differentiation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2014;390:116-25 pubmed publisher..We show that Notch signaling activity present in the dorsal aorta suppresses expression of nr2f2, restricting nr2f2-dependent promotion of venous differentiation to the cardinal vein. ..
- Li L, Nakaya N, Chavali V, Ma Z, Jiao X, Sieving P, et al. A mutation in ZNF513, a putative regulator of photoreceptor development, causes autosomal-recessive retinitis pigmentosa. Am J Hum Genet. 2010;87:400-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the ZNF513 p.C339R mutation is responsible for RP in this family and that ZNF513 plays a key role in the regulation of photoreceptor-specific genes in retinal development and photoreceptor maintenance. ..
- Ro H, Dawid I. Organizer restriction through modulation of Bozozok stability by the E3 ubiquitin ligase Lnx-like. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:1121-7 pubmed publisher..These studies introduce a ubiquitin ligase, Lnx-l, as a balancing modulator of axial patterning in the zebrafish embryo. ..
- Pham V, Lawson N, Mugford J, Dye L, Castranova D, Lo B, et al. Combinatorial function of ETS transcription factors in the developing vasculature. Dev Biol. 2007;303:772-83 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that combinatorial ETS factor function is essential for early endothelial specification and differentiation. ..
- Toyama R, Gomez D, Mana M, Dawid I. Sequence relationships and expression patterns of zebrafish zic2 and zic5 genes. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;4:345-50 pubmed..A zic2.2 ortholog has not been identified in other vertebrate species, suggesting that the zic2.1/zic2.2 pair resulted from a genome duplication event during the evolution of the zebrafish lineage. ..
- Itoh M, Kim C, Palardy G, Oda T, Jiang Y, Maust D, et al. Mind bomb is a ubiquitin ligase that is essential for efficient activation of Notch signaling by Delta. Dev Cell. 2003;4:67-82 pubmed..This facilitates intramembranous cleavage of the remaining Notch receptor, release of the Notch intracellular fragment, and activation of target genes in neighboring cells. ..
- Lin K, Wang S, Julius M, Kitajewski J, Moos M, Luyten F. The cysteine-rich frizzled domain of Frzb-1 is required and sufficient for modulation of Wnt signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:11196-200 pubmed..Interestingly, Frzb-1 does not block Wnt-5A signaling in a Xenopus functional assay, even though Wnt-5A coimmunoprecipitates with Frzb-1, suggesting that coimmunoprecipitation does not necessarily imply inhibition of Wnt function. ..
- Kawahara A, Dawid I. Critical role of biklf in erythroid cell differentiation in zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2001;11:1353-7 pubmed..These results indicate that Biklf is required for erythroid cell differentiation in zebrafish. ..
- Rebagliati M, Toyama R, Haffter P, Dawid I. cyclops encodes a nodal-related factor involved in midline signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:9932-7 pubmed..quot; Thus, in interaction with other molecules implicated in these processes such as sonic hedgehog and one-eyed-pinhead, cyclops is required for ventral midline patterning of the embryonic central nervous system. ..