Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on zebrafish in Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Locale: Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Publications122 found, 100 shown here
- Pei W, Noushmehr H, Costa J, Ouspenskaia M, Elkahloun A, Feldman B. An early requirement for maternal FoxH1 during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2007;310:10-22 pubmed..Our studies thus point to an essential role for maternal FoxH1 and downstream keratins during gastrulation that is epistatic to Nodal signaling. ..
- Yaniv K, Isogai S, Castranova D, Dye L, Hitomi J, Weinstein B. Imaging the developing lymphatic system using the zebrafish. Novartis Found Symp. 2007;283:139-48; discussion 148-51, 238-41 pubmed..Our data provide conclusive new evidence supporting a venous origin for primitive lymphatic endothelial cells. ..
- Pei W, Feldman B. Identification of common and unique modifiers of zebrafish midline bifurcation and cyclopia. Dev Biol. 2009;326:201-11 pubmed publisher..In summary, we find that MB arises after gastrulation in regions that fail to express wnt5b, and we show that two complex dysmorphologies - MB and cyclopia - can be promoted by either common or unique risk factors. ..
- Hong S, Dawid I. FGF-dependent left-right asymmetry patterning in zebrafish is mediated by Ier2 and Fibp1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:2230-5 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Ier2 and Fibp1 mediate FGF signaling in ciliogenesis in Kupffer's Vesicle and in the establishment of laterality in the zebrafish embryo. ..
- Fischer R, Gardel M, Ma X, Adelstein R, Waterman C. Local cortical tension by myosin II guides 3D endothelial cell branching. Curr Biol. 2009;19:260-5 pubmed publisher..Thus, local downregulation of myosin II cortical contraction allows pseudopodium initiation to mediate EC branching and hence guide directional migration and angiogenesis. ..
- Pérez Victoria F, Schindler C, Magadán J, Mardones G, Delevoye C, Romao M, et al. Ang2/fat-free is a conserved subunit of the Golgi-associated retrograde protein complex. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:3386-95 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that Ang2 is the missing component of the GARP complex in most eukaryotes. ..
- Gill J, Lowe L, Nguyen J, Liu P, Blake T, Venkatesh B, et al. Enforced expression of Simian virus 40 large T-antigen leads to testicular germ cell tumors in zebrafish. Zebrafish. 2010;7:333-41 pubmed publisher..In addition, enforced expression of the zebrafish stem cell leukemia (scl) gene in the zebrafish testes also generated TGCTs in transgenic fish. These results demonstrate the feasibility of studying TGCTs in a model organism. ..
- Liang J, Wang D, Renaud G, Wolfsberg T, Wilson A, Burgess S. The stat3/socs3a pathway is a key regulator of hair cell regeneration in zebrafish. [corrected]. J Neurosci. 2012;32:10662-73 pubmed publisher..2008; Zhu et al., 2008; Qin et al., 2009), we propose that the stat3/socs3 pathway is a key response in all tissue regeneration and thus an important therapeutic target for a broad application in tissue repair and injury healing. ..
- Liu Z, Thiele C. When LMO1 Meets MYCN, Neuroblastoma Is Metastatic. Cancer Cell. 2017;32:273-275 pubmed publisher..In this issue of Cancer Cell, Zhu et al. develop a novel zebrafish model that elucidates a mechanism by which LMO1 and MYCN synergistically initiate neuroblastoma and contribute to metastatic disease progression. ..
- Itoh M, Kim C, Palardy G, Oda T, Jiang Y, Maust D, et al. Mind bomb is a ubiquitin ligase that is essential for efficient activation of Notch signaling by Delta. Dev Cell. 2003;4:67-82 pubmed..This facilitates intramembranous cleavage of the remaining Notch receptor, release of the Notch intracellular fragment, and activation of target genes in neighboring cells. ..
- Ro H, Dawid I. Organizer restriction through modulation of Bozozok stability by the E3 ubiquitin ligase Lnx-like. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:1121-7 pubmed publisher..These studies introduce a ubiquitin ligase, Lnx-l, as a balancing modulator of axial patterning in the zebrafish embryo. ..
- Wang A, Zare H, Mousavi K, Wang C, Moravec C, Sirotkin H, et al. The histone chaperone Spt6 coordinates histone H3K27 demethylation and myogenesis. EMBO J. 2013;32:1075-86 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that, through cooperation with PolII and KDM6A, Spt6 orchestrates removal of H3K27me3, thus controlling developmental gene expression and cell differentiation. ..
- Weinstein B, Lawson N. Arteries, veins, Notch, and VEGF. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 2002;67:155-62 pubmed
- Isenberg J, Jia Y, Field L, Ridnour L, Sparatore A, Del Soldato P, et al. Modulation of angiogenesis by dithiolethione-modified NSAIDs and valproic acid. Br J Pharmacol. 2007;151:63-72 pubmed..The novel properties of S-NSAIDs and S-valproate to inhibit pathological versus developmental angiogenesis suggest that these agents may have a role in cancer treatment. ..
- Blake T, Adya N, Kim C, Oates A, Zon L, Chitnis A, et al. Zebrafish homolog of the leukemia gene CBFB: its expression during embryogenesis and its relationship to scl and gata-1 in hematopoiesis. Blood. 2000;96:4178-84 pubmed..Our results indicate that cbfb is expressed in early hematopoietic progenitors and that its expression pattern in the hematopoietic mutants is similar to that of scl. (Blood. 2000;96:4178-4184) ..
- Kawahara A, Dawid I. Developmental expression of zebrafish emx1 during early embryogenesis. Gene Expr Patterns. 2002;2:201-6 pubmed..Thus, emx1 displays a unique expression pattern that is distinct from the patterns of emx2 and emx3. ..
- Lawson N, Weinstein B. In vivo imaging of embryonic vascular development using transgenic zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2002;248:307-18 pubmed
- Gore A, Athans B, Iben J, Johnson K, Russanova V, Castranova D, et al. Epigenetic regulation of hematopoiesis by DNA methylation. elife. 2016;5:e11813 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal an epigenetic mechanism supporting the maintenance of hematopoietic cell fate via DNA methylation-mediated perdurance of a key transcription factor in HSPCs. ..
- Miyamoto T, Kawahara A, Teufel A, Mukhopadhyay M, Zhao Y, Dawid I, et al. Mbx, a novel mouse homeobox gene. Dev Genes Evol. 2002;212:104-6 pubmed..Thus, the Mbx gene provides a useful molecular marker for early mouse midbrain development and may play a critical role in brain development. ..
- Covacu R, Philip H, Jaronen M, Almeida J, Kenison J, Darko S, et al. System-wide Analysis of the T Cell Response. Cell Rep. 2016;14:2733-44 pubmed publisher..These features of vertebrate public TCRs might provide a mechanism for the rapid generation of protective T cell immunity, allowing a short temporal window for the development of more specific private T cell responses. ..
- Ball E, Matsuda M, Dye L, Hoffmann V, Zerfas P, Szarek E, et al. Ultra-structural identification of interstitial cells of Cajal in the zebrafish Danio rerio. Cell Tissue Res. 2012;349:483-91 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data represent the first ultra-structural characterization of cells in the muscularis of the zebrafish Danio rerio and suggest that ICC differentiation in vertebrate evolution dates back to the teleost lineage. ..
- Rothenburg S, Deigendesch N, Dey M, Dever T, Tazi L. Double-stranded RNA-activated protein kinase PKR of fishes and amphibians: varying the number of double-stranded RNA binding domains and lineage-specific duplications. BMC Biol. 2008;6:12 pubmed..Further implications of our findings for the evolution of the PKR family and for studying PKR/PKZ interactions with viral gene products and their roles in viral infections are discussed...
- McGlinchey R, Shewmaker F, Hu K, McPhie P, Tycko R, Wickner R. Repeat domains of melanosome matrix protein Pmel17 orthologs form amyloid fibrils at the acidic melanosomal pH. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:8385-93 pubmed publisher..Although there is no sequence conservation between human and zebrafish RPT, amyloid formation at acid pH is conserved. ..
- York A, Parekh S, Dalle Nogare D, Fischer R, Temprine K, Mione M, et al. Resolution doubling in live, multicellular organisms via multifocal structured illumination microscopy. Nat Methods. 2012;9:749-54 pubmed publisher..Our method uses commercially available parts and open-source software and is simpler than existing SIM implementations, allowing easy integration with wide-field microscopes. ..
- Lawson N, Scheer N, Pham V, Kim C, Chitnis A, Campos Ortega J, et al. Notch signaling is required for arterial-venous differentiation during embryonic vascular development. Development. 2001;128:3675-83 pubmed..Movies available on-line ..
- Ma H, Blake T, Chitnis A, Liu P, Balla T. Crucial role of phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase IIIalpha in development of zebrafish pectoral fin is linked to phosphoinositide 3-kinase and FGF signaling. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:4303-10 pubmed publisher..Our results identify Pik4a as an upstream partner of PI3Ks in the signaling cascade orchestrated by FGF receptors with a prominent role in forelimb development. ..
- Fujita M, Cha Y, Pham V, Sakurai A, Roman B, Gutkind J, et al. Assembly and patterning of the vascular network of the vertebrate hindbrain. Development. 2011;138:1705-15 pubmed publisher..Knockdown of either cxcl12b or cxcr4a results in defects in basilar artery formation, showing that the assembly and patterning of this crucial artery depends on chemokine signaling. ..
- Rebagliati M, Toyama R, Haffter P, Dawid I. cyclops encodes a nodal-related factor involved in midline signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:9932-7 pubmed..quot; Thus, in interaction with other molecules implicated in these processes such as sonic hedgehog and one-eyed-pinhead, cyclops is required for ventral midline patterning of the embryonic central nervous system. ..
- Gore A, Lampugnani M, Dye L, Dejana E, Weinstein B. Combinatorial interaction between CCM pathway genes precipitates hemorrhagic stroke. Dis Model Mech. 2008;1:275-81 pubmed publisher..These findings support the idea that minor polygenic deficits in the CCM pathway can strongly synergize to initiate ICH. ..
- Lee M, Bonner J, Bernard D, Sanchez E, Sause E, Prentice R, et al. Disruption of the folate pathway in zebrafish causes developmental defects. BMC Dev Biol. 2012;12:12 pubmed publisher..Zebrafish studies of the folate pathway and its deficiencies could provide insight into the underlying etiology of human birth defects and the natural role of folate in development. ..
- Lyons S, Lawson N, Lei L, Bennett P, Weinstein B, Liu P. A nonsense mutation in zebrafish gata1 causes the bloodless phenotype in vlad tepes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:5454-9 pubmed
- Hou L, Arnheiter H, Pavan W. Interspecies difference in the regulation of melanocyte development by SOX10 and MITF. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:9081-5 pubmed..The results may help to explain how some embryos, such as zebrafish, can achieve rapid pigmentation after fertilization, whereas others, such as mice, become pigmented only several days after birth. ..
- Jia S, Omelchenko M, Garland D, Vasiliou V, Kanungo J, Spencer M, et al. Duplicated gelsolin family genes in zebrafish: a novel scinderin-like gene (scinla) encodes the major corneal crystallin. FASEB J. 2007;21:3318-28 pubmed..Our data suggest that scinla and scinlb are diverged paralogs of the vertebrate scinderin gene and show that scinla encodes the zebrafish corneal crystallin previously called C/L-gelsolin. ..
- Hukriede N, Joly L, Tsang M, Miles J, Tellis P, Epstein J, et al. Radiation hybrid mapping of the zebrafish genome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:9745-50 pubmed..Mapping expressed sequence tags and cloned genes by using the LN54 panel should prove to be a valuable method for the identification of candidate genes for specific mutations in zebrafish. ..
- Domené S, Roessler E, El Jaick K, Snir M, Brown J, Vélez J, et al. Mutations in the human SIX3 gene in holoprosencephaly are loss of function. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:3919-28 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that SIX3 is a frequent target in the pathogenesis of HPE and demonstrate how this can inform the genetic counseling of families...
- Toyama R, Chen X, Jhawar N, Aamar E, Epstein J, Reany N, et al. Transcriptome analysis of the zebrafish pineal gland. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1813-26 pubmed publisher..Among the multiple candidate genes suggested by these data, we note the identification of a tissue-specific form of the unc119 gene with a possible role in pineal development. ..
- Roman B, Pham V, Lawson N, Kulik M, Childs S, Lekven A, et al. Disruption of acvrl1 increases endothelial cell number in zebrafish cranial vessels. Development. 2002;129:3009-19 pubmed..Movies available on-line ..
- Torres Vazquez J, Gitler A, Fraser S, Berk J, Van N Pham -, Fishman M, et al. Semaphorin-plexin signaling guides patterning of the developing vasculature. Dev Cell. 2004;7:117-23 pubmed..These results reveal the fundamental conservation of repulsive patterning mechanisms between axonal migration in the central nervous system and vascular endothelium during angiogenesis. ..
- Pei W, Williams P, Clark M, Stemple D, Feldman B. Environmental and genetic modifiers of squint penetrance during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2007;308:368-78 pubmed..Therefore, Sqt may confer an evolutionary advantage by protecting early-stage embryos against detrimental interacting alleles and environmental challenges. ..
- Belele C, English M, Chahal J, Burnetti A, Finckbeiner S, Gibney G, et al. Differential requirement for Gata1 DNA binding and transactivation between primitive and definitive stages of hematopoiesis in zebrafish. Blood. 2009;114:5162-72 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the impact of Gata1 on hematopoiesis correlates with its DNA-binding ability and that primitive hematopoiesis is more sensitive to reduction in Gata1 function than definitive hematopoiesis. ..
- Ikenaga T, Urban J, Gebhart N, Hatta K, Kawakami K, Ono F. Formation of the spinal network in zebrafish determined by domain-specific pax genes. J Comp Neurol. 2011;519:1562-79 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the RFP(+) cells of pax2a/pax8 double mutants displayed altered cell fates. CoBLs were not observed. Instead, RFP(+) cells exhibited axons descending ipsilaterally, a morphology resembling that of V2a/V2b interneurons. ..
- Taher L, McGaughey D, Maragh S, Aneas I, Bessling S, Miller W, et al. Genome-wide identification of conserved regulatory function in diverged sequences. Genome Res. 2011;21:1139-49 pubmed publisher..quot; ..
- Swift M, Pham V, Castranova D, Bell K, Poole R, Weinstein B. SoxF factors and Notch regulate nr2f2 gene expression during venous differentiation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2014;390:116-25 pubmed publisher..We show that Notch signaling activity present in the dorsal aorta suppresses expression of nr2f2, restricting nr2f2-dependent promotion of venous differentiation to the cardinal vein. ..
- Toyama R, O Connell M, Wright C, Kuehn M, Dawid I. Nodal induces ectopic goosecoid and lim1 expression and axis duplication in zebrafish. Development. 1995;121:383-91 pubmed..These results suggest a role for a nodal-like factor in pattern formation in zebrafish. ..
- Kudoh T, Dawid I. Zebrafish mab21l2 is specifically expressed in the presumptive eye and tectum from early somitogenesis onwards. Mech Dev. 2001;109:95-8 pubmed..In the noi/pax2.1 mutant, mab21l2 is down-regulated and the size of the tectum remains small, whereas in the ace/fgf8 mutant, mab21l2 expression persists although the shape of the tectum is altered. ..
- Lawson N, Vogel A, Weinstein B. sonic hedgehog and vascular endothelial growth factor act upstream of the Notch pathway during arterial endothelial differentiation. Dev Cell. 2002;3:127-36 pubmed..These studies reveal a complex signaling cascade responsible for establishing arterial cell fate and suggest differential effects of Vegf on developing endothelial cells. ..
- Zhang Z, Alpert D, Francis R, Chatterjee B, Yu Q, Tansey T, et al. Massively parallel sequencing identifies the gene Megf8 with ENU-induced mutation causing heterotaxy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:3219-24 pubmed publisher..Overall, through the recovery of an ENU-induced mutation, we uncovered Megf8 as an essential regulator of left-right patterning. ..
- Itoh M, Kudoh T, Dedekian M, Kim C, Chitnis A. A role for iro1 and iro7 in the establishment of an anteroposterior compartment of the ectoderm adjacent to the midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Development. 2002;129:2317-27 pubmed
- Kanungo J, Swamynathan S, Piatigorsky J. Abundant corneal gelsolin in Zebrafish and the 'four-eyed' fish, Anableps anableps: possible analogy with multifunctional lens crystallins. Exp Eye Res. 2004;79:949-56 pubmed..Together, our data are consistent with an analogy between the abundance of gelsolin in fish corneas and taxon-specific multifunctional crystallins in lenses. ..
- Karkera J, Lee J, Roessler E, Banerjee Basu S, Ouspenskaia M, Mez J, et al. Loss-of-function mutations in growth differentiation factor-1 (GDF1) are associated with congenital heart defects in humans. Am J Hum Genet. 2007;81:987-94 pubmed..These findings implicate perturbations of the TGF- beta signaling pathway in the causation of a major subclass of human CHDs. ..
- Baxter L, Moreland R, Nguyen A, Wolfsberg T, Pavan W. A curated online resource for SOX10 and pigment cell molecular genetic pathways. Database (Oxford). 2010;2010:baq025 pubmed publisher..Database URL: http://research.nhgri.nih.gov/pigment_cell/ ..
- Cunningham L, Finckbeiner S, Hyde R, Southall N, Marugan J, Yedavalli V, et al. Identification of benzodiazepine Ro5-3335 as an inhibitor of CBF leukemia through quantitative high throughput screen against RUNX1-CBF? interaction. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:14592-7 pubmed publisher..Our data thus confirmed that RUNX1-CBF? interaction can be targeted for leukemia treatment and we have identified a promising lead compound for this purpose. ..
- Heymann G, Dai J, Li M, Silberberg S, Zhou H, Swartz K. Inter- and intrasubunit interactions between transmembrane helices in the open state of P2X receptor channels. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E4045-54 pubmed publisher..We propose a model for the structure of the open state that has stabilizing intersubunit interactions and that is compatible with available structural constraints from functional channels in membrane environments...
- Itoh M, Chitnis A. Expression of proneural and neurogenic genes in the zebrafish lateral line primordium correlates with selection of hair cell fate in neuromasts. Mech Dev. 2001;102:263-6 pubmed..In mib mutants there is a failure to restrict expression of zath1 and Delta homologues in the neuromasts revealing similarities with the phenotype previously described in the ear. ..
- Wistow G, Wyatt K, David L, Gao C, Bateman O, Bernstein S, et al. gammaN-crystallin and the evolution of the betagamma-crystallin superfamily in vertebrates. FEBS J. 2005;272:2276-91 pubmed..Although well conserved throughout vertebrate evolution, gammaN in primates has apparently undergone major changes and possible loss of functional expression. ..
- Hardison A, Lichten L, Banerjee Basu S, Becker T, Burgess S. The zebrafish gene claudinj is essential for normal ear function and important for the formation of the otoliths. Mech Dev. 2005;122:949-58 pubmed
- Hong S, Haldin C, Lawson N, Weinstein B, Dawid I, Hukriede N. The zebrafish kohtalo/trap230 gene is required for the development of the brain, neural crest, and pronephric kidney. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:18473-8 pubmed..These results suggest that critical targets of TRAP230 function may include proteins important for cell mobility, cell sorting, and tissue assembly. ..
- Sood R, English M, Belele C, Jin H, Bishop K, Haskins R, et al. Development of multilineage adult hematopoiesis in the zebrafish with a runx1 truncation mutation. Blood. 2010;115:2806-9 pubmed publisher..Overall, our data suggest that in zebrafish adult HSCs can be formed without an intact runx1...
- Pei W, Kratz L, Bernardini I, Sood R, Yokogawa T, Dorward H, et al. A model of Costeff Syndrome reveals metabolic and protective functions of mitochondrial OPA3. Development. 2010;137:2587-96 pubmed publisher..In summary, this paper introduces a faithful Costeff Syndrome model and demonstrates a requirement for mitochondrial OPA3 to limit HMG-CoA-derived MGC and protect the electron transport chain against inhibitory compounds. ..
- Kawahara A, Wilm T, Solnica Krezel L, Dawid I. Antagonistic role of vega1 and bozozok/dharma homeobox genes in organizer formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:12121-6 pubmed..We propose that boz/dha-dependent down-regulation of vega1 in the dorsal region is an early essential step in organizer formation in zebrafish. ..
- Tsang M, Friesel R, Kudoh T, Dawid I. Identification of Sef, a novel modulator of FGF signalling. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:165-9 pubmed..Injection of antisense sef morpholino oligos mimicked the phenotypes observed by ectopic fgf8 expression, suggesting that Sef is required to limit FGF signalling during development. ..
- Thomas J, Touchman J. Vertebrate genome sequencing: building a backbone for comparative genomics. Trends Genet. 2002;18:104-8 pubmed..Such targeted sequencing is complementary to current whole-genome sequencing projects, and would benefit greatly from the creation of BAC libraries from a diverse range of vertebrates. ..
- Pan W, Pham V, Stratman A, Castranova D, Kamei M, Kidd K, et al. CDP-diacylglycerol synthetase-controlled phosphoinositide availability limits VEGFA signaling and vascular morphogenesis. Blood. 2012;120:489-98 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that availability of CDS-controlled resynthesis of phosphoinositides is essential for angiogenesis. ..
- SchÃ¤ffer A, Klein C. Animal models of human granulocyte diseases. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2013;27:129-48, ix pubmed publisher..Strengths and weaknesses of each system are summarized, and clinical investigators may thus be inspired to develop further lines of research to improve diagnosis and therapy by use of the appropriate animal model system. ..
- Matsuda M, Nogare D, Somers K, Martin K, Wang C, Chitnis A. Lef1 regulates Dusp6 to influence neuromast formation and spacing in the zebrafish posterior lateral line primordium. Development. 2013;140:2387-97 pubmed publisher..This is associated with progressively slower PLLp migration, reduced spacing between deposited neuromasts and premature termination of the PLLp system. ..
- Ulrich F, Carretero Ortega J, MenÃ©ndez J, Narvaez C, Sun B, Lancaster E, et al. Reck enables cerebrovascular development by promoting canonical Wnt signaling. Development. 2016;143:147-59 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings have broad implications for both vascular and cancer biology. ..
- Toyama R, Gomez D, Mana M, Dawid I. Sequence relationships and expression patterns of zebrafish zic2 and zic5 genes. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;4:345-50 pubmed..A zic2.2 ortholog has not been identified in other vertebrate species, suggesting that the zic2.1/zic2.2 pair resulted from a genome duplication event during the evolution of the zebrafish lineage. ..
- Tsang M, Maegawa S, Kiang A, Habas R, Weinberg E, Dawid I. A role for MKP3 in axial patterning of the zebrafish embryo. Development. 2004;131:2769-79 pubmed..Thus, mkp3 encodes a feedback attenuator of the FGF pathway, the expression of which is initiated at an early stage so as to ensure correct FGF signaling levels at the time of axial patterning. ..
- Bierie B, Edwin M, Melenhorst J, Hennighausen L. The proliferation associated nuclear element (PANE1) is conserved between mammals and fish and preferentially expressed in activated lymphoid cells. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;4:389-95 pubmed..In B- and T-cells PANE1 RNA was only detected after the respective cell types were activated either in vivo or in vitro. ..
- Dutta S, Dawid I. Kctd15 inhibits neural crest formation by attenuating Wnt/beta-catenin signaling output. Development. 2010;137:3013-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that Kctd15 inhibits NC formation by attenuating the output of the canonical Wnt pathway, thereby restricting expansion of the NC domain beyond its normal range. ..
- Hong S, Jang M, Brown J, McBride A, Feldman B. Embryonic mesoderm and endoderm induction requires the actions of non-embryonic Nodal-related ligands and Mxtx2. Development. 2011;138:787-95 pubmed publisher..In summary, the induction of mesoderm and endoderm depends upon the combined actions of Mxtx2 and Nodal-related ligands from non-embryonic sources. ..
- Jin T, Huang M, Smith P, Jiang J, Xiao T. Structure of the caspase-recruitment domain from a zebrafish guanylate-binding protein. Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun. 2013;69:855-60 pubmed publisher..Further studies using binding assays and other analyses will be required in order to address the physiological function(s) of this zebrafish protein. ..
- Tuz K, Bachmann Gagescu R, O Day D, Hua K, Isabella C, Phelps I, et al. Mutations in CSPP1 cause primary cilia abnormalities and Joubert syndrome with or without Jeune asphyxiating thoracic dystrophy. Am J Hum Genet. 2014;94:62-72 pubmed publisher..In summary, CSPP1 mutations are a major cause of the Joubert-Jeune phenotype in humans; however, the mechanism by which these mutations lead to both JBTS and JATD remains unknown. ..
- Liu C, Widen S, Williamson K, Ratnapriya R, Gerth Kahlert C, Rainger J, et al. A secreted WNT-ligand-binding domain of FZD5 generated by a frameshift mutation causes autosomal dominant coloboma. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:1382-91 pubmed publisher..Our studies have revealed a conserved role of Wnt-Frizzled (FZD) signaling in ocular development and directly implicate WNT-FZD signaling both in normal closure of the human optic fissure and pathogenesis of coloboma. ..
- Piotrowski T, Ahn D, Schilling T, Nair S, Ruvinsky I, Geisler R, et al. The zebrafish van gogh mutation disrupts tbx1, which is involved in the DiGeorge deletion syndrome in humans. Development. 2003;130:5043-52 pubmed..Furthermore, we provide evidence for regulatory interactions between vgo/tbx1 and edn1 and hand2, genes that are implicated in the control of pharyngeal arch development and in the etiology of DGS. ..
- Sabaawy H, Azuma M, Embree L, Tsai H, Starost M, Hickstein D. TEL-AML1 transgenic zebrafish model of precursor B cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:15166-71 pubmed
- Nakaya N, Tomarev S. Expression patterns of alternative transcripts of the zebrafish olfactomedin 1 genes. Gene Expr Patterns. 2007;7:723-9 pubmed..Different variants of olfm1 mRNA were present mainly in neurogenic tissues and demonstrated overlapping expression patterns. ..
- Kim M, Kang K, Kim C, Choi S. Real-time imaging of mitochondria in transgenic zebrafish expressing mitochondrially targeted GFP. Biotechniques. 2008;45:331-4 pubmed publisher..It could also facilitate study of the pathogenesis of apoptosis-related diseases. ..
- Hong S, Levin C, Brown J, Wan H, Sherman B, Huang D, et al. Pre-gastrula expression of zebrafish extraembryonic genes. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:42 pubmed publisher..To our surprise, maternal genes and genes expressed in the EVL were also enriched by this strategy. A number of these genes are promising candidates for future functional studies on early embryonic patterning. ..
- Ro H, Dawid I. Modulation of Tcf3 repressor complex composition regulates cdx4 expression in zebrafish. EMBO J. 2011;30:2894-907 pubmed publisher..We propose that the modulation of Tcf3 repressor function by E4f1 assures precise and robust regulation of cdx4 expression in the caudal domain of the embryo. ..
- Vilboux T, Lev A, Malicdan M, Simon A, JÃ¤rvinen P, Racek T, et al. A congenital neutrophil defect syndrome associated with mutations in VPS45. N Engl J Med. 2013;369:54-65 pubmed publisher..Funded by the National Human Genome Research Institute and others.). ..
- Liu L, Alexa K, Cortes M, Schatzman Bone S, Kim A, Mukhopadhyay B, et al. Cannabinoid receptor signaling regulates liver development and metabolism. Development. 2016;143:609-22 pubmed publisher..Our work describes a novel developmental role for EC signaling, whereby Cnr-mediated regulation of Srebfs and methionine metabolism impacts liver development and function. ..
- Behra M, Gallardo V, Bradsher J, Torrado A, Elkahloun A, Idol J, et al. Transcriptional signature of accessory cells in the lateral line, using the Tnk1bp1:EGFP transgenic zebrafish line. BMC Dev Biol. 2012;12:6 pubmed publisher..This will prove to be a valuable tool for the study of regeneration in the lateral line of zebrafish in particular and for regeneration of neuroepithelia in general. ..
- Cha Y, Fujita M, Butler M, Isogai S, Kochhan E, Siekmann A, et al. Chemokine signaling directs trunk lymphatic network formation along the preexisting blood vasculature. Dev Cell. 2012;22:824-36 pubmed publisher..In addition to providing evidence for a lymphatic vascular guidance mechanism, these results also suggest a molecular basis for the anatomical coalignment of lymphatic and blood vessels. ..
- Wiessner M, Roos A, Munn C, Viswanathan R, Whyte T, Cox D, et al. Mutations in INPP5K, Encoding a Phosphoinositide 5-Phosphatase, Cause Congenital Muscular Dystrophy with Cataracts and Mild Cognitive Impairment. Am J Hum Genet. 2017;100:523-536 pubmed publisher..These data link congenital muscular dystrophies to defective phosphoinositide 5-phosphatase activity that is becoming increasingly recognized for its role in mediating pivotal cellular mechanisms contributing to disease. ..
- Connaughton V, Nelson R. Axonal stratification patterns and glutamate-gated conductance mechanisms in zebrafish retinal bipolar cells. J Physiol. 2000;524 Pt 1:135-46 pubmed..6. Visual processing in the zebrafish retina involves at least 13 BC types. Some of these BCs have ATs in both the ON- and OFF-sublaminae, suggesting a significant role for ON- and OFF-inputs throughout the IPL. ..
- Pham V, Lawson N, Mugford J, Dye L, Castranova D, Lo B, et al. Combinatorial function of ETS transcription factors in the developing vasculature. Dev Biol. 2007;303:772-83 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that combinatorial ETS factor function is essential for early endothelial specification and differentiation. ..
- Kaur S, Abu Asab M, Abu Abab M, Singla S, Yeo S, Ramchandran R. Expression pattern for unc5b, an axon guidance gene in embryonic zebrafish development. Gene Expr. 2007;13:321-7 pubmed..A similar medial-lateral theme is observed in other neural structures such as the neural tube. Our expression analysis provides a starting point for studying the role of axon guidance genes in embryonic hindbrain patterning. ..