Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on testis in Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Locale: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
- Rajagopalan K, Mooney S, Parekh N, Getzenberg R, Kulkarni P. A majority of the cancer/testis antigens are intrinsically disordered proteins. J Cell Biochem. 2011;112:3256-67 pubmed publisher..Identifying the CTAs that occupy hub positions in protein regulatory networks would allow a better understanding of their functions as well as the development of novel therapeutics to treat cancer. ..
- Agellon L, Davies S, Chen T, Powers D. Structure of a fish (rainbow trout) growth hormone gene and its evolutionary implications. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1988;85:5136-40 pubmed..These findings indicate that the rainbow trout GH gene structure does not support the current hypothesis that internally repeated regions in GH, Prl, and PL arose from a small primordial gene. ..
- Walensky L, Roskams A, Lefkowitz R, Snyder S, Ronnett G. Odorant receptors and desensitization proteins colocalize in mammalian sperm. Mol Med. 1995;1:130-41 pubmed..Based on the colocalization, it is plausible that GRK3 and beta-arrestin2 function in sperm to regulate putative chemoreceptor responses. ..
- Cunningham E, Wada E, Carter D, Tracey D, Battey J, De Souza E. Distribution of type I interleukin-1 receptor messenger RNA in testis: an in situ histochemical study in the mouse. Neuroendocrinology. 1992;56:94-9 pubmed..This distribution of type I IL-1 receptor mRNA was similar to that recently reported for 125(I)I-IL-1-alpha binding sites, and supports evidence implicating IL-1 as a direct regulator of gonadal function. ..
- Suyama T, Shiraishi T, Zeng Y, Yu W, Parekh N, Vessella R, et al. Expression of cancer/testis antigens in prostate cancer is associated with disease progression. Prostate. 2010;70:1778-87 pubmed publisher..The data also suggest that the CT-X antigens may be novel therapeutic targets for CRPC for which there are currently no effective therapeutics. ..
- Peterson J, Wei Z, Wong G. CTRP8 and CTRP9B are novel proteins that hetero-oligomerize with C1q/TNF family members. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;388:360-5 pubmed publisher..We propose here that combinatorial association between C1q/TNF family members is a possible mechanism to generate an expanded repertoire of functionally distinct ligands with altered function and/or receptor specificity. ..
- Soper S, van der Heijden G, Hardiman T, Goodheart M, Martin S, de Boer P, et al. Mouse maelstrom, a component of nuage, is essential for spermatogenesis and transposon repression in meiosis. Dev Cell. 2008;15:285-97 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that MAEL, a nuage component, is indispensable for the silencing of TEs and identifies the initiation of meiosis as an important step in TE control in the male germline. ..
- Sharov A, Falco G, Piao Y, Poosala S, Becker K, Zonderman A, et al. Effects of aging and calorie restriction on the global gene expression profiles of mouse testis and ovary. BMC Biol. 2008;6:24 pubmed publisher..Overall, the results are consistent with unique modes of aging and its modification by CR in testis and ovary. ..
- Ottolenghi C, Pelosi E, Tran J, Colombino M, Douglass E, Nedorezov T, et al. Loss of Wnt4 and Foxl2 leads to female-to-male sex reversal extending to germ cells. Hum Mol Genet. 2007;16:2795-804 pubmed..The data suggest that the relative autonomy of the action of Foxl2, Wnt4 and additional ovarian factor(s) in the mouse should facilitate the dissection of their respective contributions to female sex determination. ..
- Gorelick D, Praetorius J, Tsunenari T, Nielsen S, Agre P. Aquaporin-11: a channel protein lacking apparent transport function expressed in brain. BMC Biochem. 2006;7:14 pubmed..AQP11 is functionally distinct from other proteins of the aquaporin superfamily and could represent a new aquaporin subfamily. Further studies are necessary to elucidate the role of AQP11 in the brain. ..
- Schlessinger D, Garcia Ortiz J, Forabosco A, Uda M, Crisponi L, Pelosi E. Determination and stability of gonadal sex. J Androl. 2010;31:16-25 pubmed publisher..A partial working model for somatic development and sex determination is presented in which Sox9 is a direct antagonist of Foxl2 in the supporting cell lineage. ..
- Hand T, Mains R, Eipper B. Identification of the promoter for the gene encoding the bifunctional enzyme, peptidylglycine alpha-amidating monooxygenase. DNA Cell Biol. 1996;15:1093-104 pubmed
- Kim R, Kulkarni P, Hannenhalli S. Derepression of Cancer/testis antigens in cancer is associated with distinct patterns of DNA hypomethylation. BMC Cancer. 2013;13:144 pubmed publisher..Regardless however, the mechanism(s) underlying their selective derepression and stage-specific expression in cancer remain poorly understood, although promoter DNA demethylation is believed to be the major driver...
- Issigonis M, Matunis E. The Drosophila BCL6 homolog Ken and Barbie promotes somatic stem cell self-renewal in the testis niche. Dev Biol. 2012;368:181-92 pubmed publisher..Studies of ken may inform our understanding of its vertebrate orthologue B-Cell Lymphoma 6 (BCL6) and how misregulation of this oncogene leads to human lymphomas. ..
- Walker N, Gastel J, Costa L, Clark G, Lucier G, Sutter T. Rat CYP1B1: an adrenal cytochrome P450 that exhibits sex-dependent expression in livers and kidneys of TCDD-treated animals. Carcinogenesis. 1995;16:1319-27 pubmed..In Sprague-Dawley rats, TCDD is a more potent hepatocarcinogen in females than in males. The induction of CYP1B1 in TCDD rat liver may be a contributing factor to the carcinogenic action of this persistent environmental pollutant. ..
- Van Doren M, Mathews W, Samuels M, Moore L, Broihier H, Lehmann R. fear of intimacy encodes a novel transmembrane protein required for gonad morphogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:2355-64 pubmed..Our findings that FOI is a cell-surface protein required in the mesoderm for gonad morphogenesis shed light on the function of this new family of proteins and on the molecular mechanisms of organogenesis. ..
- Brawley C, Matunis E. Regeneration of male germline stem cells by spermatogonial dedifferentiation in vivo. Science. 2004;304:1331-4 pubmed..Thus, in the appropriate microenvironment, transit-amplifying cells dedifferentiate, becoming functional stem cells during tissue regeneration. ..
- DeFalco T, Camara N, Le Bras S, Van Doren M. Nonautonomous sex determination controls sexually dimorphic development of the Drosophila gonad. Dev Cell. 2008;14:275-86 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that nonautonomous sex determination is important for creating sexual dimorphism in the Drosophila gonad, similar to the manner in which sex-specific gonad formation is controlled in mammals. ..
- Sussman D, Klingensmith J, Salinas P, Adams P, Nusse R, Perrimon N. Isolation and characterization of a mouse homolog of the Drosophila segment polarity gene dishevelled. Dev Biol. 1994;166:73-86 pubmed..Throughout postnatal development of the brain Dvl-1 is highly expressed in areas of high neuronal cell density. ..
- Chen H, Chen X, Zheng Y. The nuclear lamina regulates germline stem cell niche organization via modulation of EGFR signaling. Cell Stem Cell. 2013;13:73-86 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have uncovered a role for the nuclear lamina in the integration of EGF signaling to regulate stem cell niche function. ..
- Liu Q, Pan C, Hishimoto A, Li C, Xi Z, Llorente Berzal A, et al. Species differences in cannabinoid receptor 2 (CNR2 gene): identification of novel human and rodent CB2 isoforms, differential tissue expression and regulation by cannabinoid receptor ligands. Genes Brain Behav. 2009;8:519-30 pubmed publisher..These results provide much improved information about CB2 gene structure and its human and rodent variants that should be considered in developing CB2-R-based therapeutic agents. ..
- Garcia Ortiz J, Pelosi E, Omari S, Nedorezov T, Piao Y, Karmazin J, et al. Foxl2 functions in sex determination and histogenesis throughout mouse ovary development. BMC Dev Biol. 2009;9:36 pubmed publisher..The gene inventory is a first step toward the identification of the full range of pathways with partly autonomous roles in ovary development, and thus provides a framework to analyze the genetic bases of female fertility. ..
- Sheng X, Posenau T, Gumulak Smith J, Matunis E, Van Doren M, Wawersik M. Jak-STAT regulation of male germline stem cell establishment during Drosophila embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2009;334:335-44 pubmed publisher..These findings show that stem cell formation is closely linked to development of the stem cell niche, and suggest that Jak-STAT signaling is required for initial establishment of the GSC population in developing testes. ..
- Spradling A, Zheng Y. Developmental biology. The mother of all stem cells?. Science. 2007;315:469-70 pubmed
- Tulina N, Matunis E. Control of stem cell self-renewal in Drosophila spermatogenesis by JAK-STAT signaling. Science. 2001;294:2546-9 pubmed..We conclude that the support cells of the hub signal to adjacent stem cells by activation of the JAK-STAT pathway, thereby defining a niche for stem cell self-renewal. ..
- Hao L, Armanios M, Strong M, Karim B, Feldser D, Huso D, et al. Short telomeres, even in the presence of telomerase, limit tissue renewal capacity. Cell. 2005;123:1121-31 pubmed..We propose that short telomeres in mice that have normal telomerase levels can cause an occult form of genetic disease. ..
- Xie Y, Natarajan K, Bauer K, Nakanishi T, Beck W, Moreci R, et al. Bcrp1 transcription in mouse testis is controlled by a promoter upstream of a novel first exon (E1U) regulated by steroidogenic factor-1. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1829:1288-99 pubmed publisher..The present study furthers understanding of the complex regulation of Bcrp1 expression in specific tissues of a mammalian model. ..
- Yang S, Baxter E, Van Doren M. Phf7 controls male sex determination in the Drosophila germline. Dev Cell. 2012;22:1041-51 pubmed publisher..We propose that PHF7 acts as a conserved epigenetic "reader" that activates the male germline sexual program. ..
- Sheng X, Matunis E. Live imaging of the Drosophila spermatogonial stem cell niche reveals novel mechanisms regulating germline stem cell output. Development. 2011;138:3367-76 pubmed publisher..Thus, stereotypically oriented stem cell divisions are not always correlated with an asymmetric outcome in cell fate, and changes in stem cell output are governed by altered signals in response to tissue requirements. ..
- de Cuevas M, MATUNIS E. The stem cell niche: lessons from the Drosophila testis. Development. 2011;138:2861-9 pubmed publisher..Here, we summarize recent work on stem cells in the adult Drosophila testis and discuss the remarkable ability of these stem cells to respond to change within the niche. ..
- Gan Q, Chepelev I, Wei G, Tarayrah L, Cui K, Zhao K, et al. Dynamic regulation of alternative splicing and chromatin structure in Drosophila gonads revealed by RNA-seq. Cell Res. 2010;20:763-83 pubmed publisher..The GEO accession number for the raw and analyzed RNA-seq data is GSE16960. ..
- Tifft K, Segura Totten M, Lee K, Wilson K. Barrier-to-autointegration factor-like (BAF-L): a proposed regulator of BAF. Exp Cell Res. 2006;312:478-87 pubmed..We propose that BAF-L regulates BAF function via heterodimerization and might thereby influence tissue-specific roles of BAF. ..
- Cherry C, MATUNIS E. Epigenetic regulation of stem cell maintenance in the Drosophila testis via the nucleosome-remodeling factor NURF. Cell Stem Cell. 2010;6:557-67 pubmed publisher..Thus, local signals cooperate with specific chromatin-remodeling complexes in intact niches to coordinately regulate a common set of target genes to prevent premature stem cell differentiation. ..
- Alexiev B, Xu L, Heath J, Twaddell W, Phelan M. Adenomatoid tumor of the testis with intratesticular growth: a case report and review of the literature. Int J Surg Pathol. 2011;19:838-42 pubmed publisher..No involvement of the epididymis or testicular membranes was identified. The morphological clues leading to the correct diagnosis of adenomatoid tumor and the possible histogenesis and differential diagnosis are discussed...
- Decotto E, Spradling A. The Drosophila ovarian and testis stem cell niches: similar somatic stem cells and signals. Dev Cell. 2005;9:501-10 pubmed..These observations reveal striking similarities in the stem cell niches of male and female gonads, and suggest that they are largely governed by common mechanisms. ..
- Le Bras S, Van Doren M. Development of the male germline stem cell niche in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2006;294:92-103 pubmed..This work establishes the Drosophila male GSC niche as a model for understanding the mechanisms controlling niche formation and initial stem cell recruitment, as well as the development of sexual dimorphism in the gonad. ..
- Zhan M, Yamaza H, Sun Y, Sinclair J, Li H, Zou S. Temporal and spatial transcriptional profiles of aging in Drosophila melanogaster. Genome Res. 2007;17:1236-43 pubmed..The spatial and temporal transcriptome data presented in this study provide a basis and a valuable resource for further genetic and genomic investigation of tissue-specific regulation of aging. ..
- Tarr D, Scott A. MSP domain proteins show enhanced expression in male germ line cells. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2004;137:87-98 pubmed..The 23 members of the MDP family of proteins from C. elegans were predicted to be transcribed in the testis. The findings provide additional candidates to the growing list of molecules that regulate MSP cytoskeletal dynamics. ..
- Issigonis M, Tulina N, de Cuevas M, Brawley C, Sandler L, Matunis E. JAK-STAT signal inhibition regulates competition in the Drosophila testis stem cell niche. Science. 2009;326:153-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, in niches housing multiple stem cell types, negative feedback loops can modulate signaling, preventing one stem cell population from outcompeting the other. ..
- Dawson T, Arriza J, Jaworsky D, Borisy F, Attramadal H, Lefkowitz R, et al. Beta-adrenergic receptor kinase-2 and beta-arrestin-2 as mediators of odorant-induced desensitization. Science. 1993;259:825-9 pubmed..These results suggest that beta ARK-2 and beta-arrestin-2 mediate agonist-dependent desensitization in olfaction. ..
- Tarayrah L, Herz H, Shilatifard A, Chen X. Histone demethylase dUTX antagonizes JAK-STAT signaling to maintain proper gene expression and architecture of the Drosophila testis niche. Development. 2013;140:1014-23 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our findings provide new insights into how an epigenetic factor regulates crosstalk among different cell types within an endogenous stem cell niche, and shed light on the biological functions of a histone demethylase in vivo. ..
- Fyrberg C, Ryan L, Kenton M, Fyrberg E. Genes encoding actin-related proteins of Drosophila melanogaster. J Mol Biol. 1994;241:498-503 pubmed..The fourth gene encodes a novel protein that, apparently is expressed within testes. The four genes are located within the 14D, 53D, 66B and 87C subdivisions of polytene chromosomes. ..