Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on skin in Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Locale: Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Publications142 found, 100 shown here
- Mendez S, Reckling S, Piccirillo C, Sacks D, Belkaid Y. Role for CD4(+) CD25(+) regulatory T cells in reactivation of persistent leishmaniasis and control of concomitant immunity. J Exp Med. 2004;200:201-10 pubmed
- Aldrich C, Hong C, Groves L, Olsen C, Moss J, Darling T. Acral lesions in tuberous sclerosis complex: insights into pathogenesis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2010;63:244-51 pubmed publisher..The anatomic distribution of TSC ungual fibromas is not random and appears consistent with trauma-promoted tumor formation. ..
- Redon C, Nakamura A, Sordet O, Dickey J, Gouliaeva K, Tabb B, et al. ?-H2AX detection in peripheral blood lymphocytes, splenocytes, bone marrow, xenografts, and skin. Methods Mol Biol. 2011;682:249-70 pubmed publisher..This chapter presents techniques for ?-H2AX detection in a variety of human and mouse samples. ..
- Myles I, Reckhow J, Williams K, Sastalla I, Frank K, Datta S. A method for culturing Gram-negative skin microbiota. BMC Microbiol. 2016;16:60 pubmed publisher..Our protocol will permit future functional studies on the influences of CGN on skin homeostasis and disease. ..
- Cinquanta M, Rovescalli A, Kozak C, Nirenberg M. Mouse Sebox homeobox gene expression in skin, brain, oocytes, and two-cell embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:8904-9 pubmed..Hence, Sebox is a maternally expressed homeobox gene. ..
- Smith K, DiPreta E, Skelton H. Peroxisomes in dermatology. Part II. J Cutan Med Surg. 2001;5:315-22 pubmed
- Arany P, Flanders K, Kobayashi T, Kuo C, Stuelten C, Desai K, et al. Smad3 deficiency alters key structural elements of the extracellular matrix and mechanotransduction of wound closure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:9250-5 pubmed..These studies highlight a previously undescribed role for Smad3 in the mechanotransduction of matrix unsupported ear wound closure. ..
- Takeuchi S, Yasukawa F, Furue M, Katz S. Collared mice: a model to assess the effects of scratching. J Dermatol Sci. 2010;57:44-50 pubmed publisher..This model enables the dissection of the various elements assessed when measuring CH in mice and may provide a simple tool to assess or screen potential anti-pruritic agents. ..
- Enk C, Mahanty S, Blauvelt A, Katz S. UVB induces IL-12 transcription in human keratinocytes in vivo and in vitro. Photochem Photobiol. 1996;63:854-9 pubmed
- Fernandez Salguero P, Ward J, Sundberg J, Gonzalez F. Lesions of aryl-hydrocarbon receptor-deficient mice. Vet Pathol. 1997;34:605-14 pubmed
- Furusawa T, Ko J, Birger Y, Bustin M. Expression of nucleosomal protein HMGN1 in the cycling mouse hair follicle. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009;9:289-95 pubmed publisher..We found that in the hair follicle the expression of HMGN2 is very similar to HMGN1 suggesting functional redundancy between these closely related HMGN variants. ..
- Kainerstorfer J, Ehler M, Amyot F, Hassan M, Demos S, Chernomordik V, et al. Principal component model of multispectral data for near real-time skin chromophore mapping. J Biomed Opt. 2010;15:046007 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that PCA applied to multispectral images gives near equivalent results for skin chromophore mapping and quantification with the advantage of being three orders of magnitude faster than the reconstruction algorithm. ..
- Candi E, Tarcsa E, DiGiovanna J, Compton J, Elias P, Marekov L, et al. A highly conserved lysine residue on the head domain of type II keratins is essential for the attachment of keratin intermediate filaments to the cornified cell envelope through isopeptide crosslinking by transglutaminases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:2067-72 pubmed..Furthermore, these studies identify the essential role of a conserved lysine residue on the head domains of type II keratins in the supramolecular organization of keratin filaments in cells. ..
- Rider L, Yip A, Horkayne Szakaly I, Volochayev R, Shrader J, Turner M, et al. Novel assessment tools to evaluate clinical and laboratory responses in a subset of patients enrolled in the Rituximab in Myositis trial. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2014;32:689-96 pubmed..Further study of B cell-depleting therapies in myositis, particularly in treatment-naÃ¯ve patients, is warranted. ..
- Munger K, Phelps W, Bubb V, Howley P, Schlegel R. The E6 and E7 genes of the human papillomavirus type 16 together are necessary and sufficient for transformation of primary human keratinocytes. J Virol. 1989;63:4417-21 pubmed
- McKinley Grant L, Idler W, Bernstein I, Parry D, Cannizzaro L, Croce C, et al. Characterization of a cDNA clone encoding human filaggrin and localization of the gene to chromosome region 1q21. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1989;86:4848-52 pubmed
- Borkowski T, Letterio J, Farr A, Udey M. A role for endogenous transforming growth factor beta 1 in Langerhans cell biology: the skin of transforming growth factor beta 1 null mice is devoid of epidermal Langerhans cells. J Exp Med. 1996;184:2417-22 pubmed..We conclude that endogenous TGF-beta 1 is essential for normal murine LC development or epidermal localization. ..
- Landi M, Baccarelli A, Tarone R, Pesatori A, Tucker M, Hedayati M, et al. DNA repair, dysplastic nevi, and sunlight sensitivity in the development of cutaneous malignant melanoma. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2002;94:94-101 pubmed..The occurrence of melanoma in subjects without these risk factors appears to be independent of DRC. ..
- Peters N, Egen J, Secundino N, Debrabant A, Kimblin N, Kamhawi S, et al. In vivo imaging reveals an essential role for neutrophils in leishmaniasis transmitted by sand flies. Science. 2008;321:970-4 pubmed publisher..Thus, L.m. appears to have evolved to both evade and exploit the innate host response to sand fly bite in order to establish and promote disease...
- Ashcroft G, Greenwell Wild T, Horan M, Wahl S, Ferguson M. Topical estrogen accelerates cutaneous wound healing in aged humans associated with an altered inflammatory response. Am J Pathol. 1999;155:1137-46 pubmed..These data demonstrate that delays in wound healing in the elderly can be significantly diminished by topical estrogen in both male and female subjects. ..
- Phillips T, Wellner E. Chip-based immunoaffinity CE: application to the measurement of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in skin biopsies. Electrophoresis. 2009;30:2307-12 pubmed publisher..This system holds the potential for being modified to be a portable unit that could be used in clinics and other biomedical screening studies. ..
- Baird K, Steinberg S, Grković L, Pulanic D, Cowen E, Mitchell S, et al. National Institutes of Health chronic graft-versus-host disease staging in severely affected patients: organ and global scoring correlate with established indicators of disease severity and prognosis. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2013;19:632-9 pubmed publisher..In this population of severely affected patients, NIH lung score is the strongest predictor of poor overall survival, both alone and after adjustment for other important factors. ..
- Mehta N, Li K, Szapary P, Krueger J, Brodmerkel C. Modulation of cardiometabolic pathways in skin and serum from patients with psoriasis. J Transl Med. 2013;11:194 pubmed publisher..These findings provide evidence of a potential shared pathophysiology linking psoriasis to cardiometabolic diseases. ..
- Landi M, Bauer J, Pfeiffer R, Elder D, Hulley B, Minghetti P, et al. MC1R germline variants confer risk for BRAF-mutant melanoma. Science. 2006;313:521-2 pubmed..In this tumor subtype, the risk for melanoma associated with MC1R is due to an increase in risk of developing melanomas with BRAF mutations. ..
- Zaharoff D, Rogers C, Hance K, Schlom J, Greiner J. Chitosan solution enhances both humoral and cell-mediated immune responses to subcutaneous vaccination. Vaccine. 2007;25:2085-94 pubmed..These mechanistic studies, taken together with the enhancement of a vaccine response, demonstrate that chitosan is a promising and safe platform for parenteral vaccine delivery. ..
- Kariyawasam U, Selvapandiyan A, Rai K, Wani T, Ahuja K, Beg M, et al. Genetic diversity of Leishmania donovani that causes cutaneous leishmaniasis in Sri Lanka: a cross sectional study with regional comparisons. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:791 pubmed publisher..The use of genetic tools to identify clinically relevant features of Leishmania parasites has important therapeutic implications for leishmaniasis. ..
- Finch P, Rubin J, Miki T, Ron D, Aaronson S. Human KGF is FGF-related with properties of a paracrine effector of epithelial cell growth. Science. 1989;245:752-5 pubmed..By comparison with the expression of other epithelial cell mitogens, only KGF, among known human growth factors, has the properties of a stromal mediator of epithelial cell proliferation. ..
- Daly J. Alkaloids from frog skins: selective probes for ion channels and nicotinic receptors. Braz J Med Biol Res. 1995;28:1033-42 pubmed..The origins of the batrachotoxins, histrionicotoxins, pumiliotoxins and epibatidine are of particular interest in view of their remarkable biological activities. ..
- Sullivan D, Jensen T, Taichman L, Csaky K. Ornithine-delta-aminotransferase expression and ornithine metabolism in cultured epidermal keratinocytes: toward metabolic sink therapy for gyrate atrophy. Gene Ther. 1997;4:1036-44 pubmed..Following ornithine metabolite production by intact cells suggests that ornithine metabolism is limited primarily by clearance of downstream metabolites, as opposed to substrate delivery...
- Watanabe T, Kawamura T, Jacob S, Aquilino E, Orenstein J, Black J, et al. Pityriasis rosea is associated with systemic active infection with both human herpesvirus-7 and human herpesvirus-6. J Invest Dermatol. 2002;119:793-7 pubmed..These results suggest that pityriasis rosea is associated with systemic active infection with both human herpesvirus-7 and human herpesvirus-6. ..
- Fedorko D, Preuss J, Fahle G, Li L, Fischer S, Hohman P, et al. Comparison of methods for detection of vaccinia virus in patient specimens. J Clin Microbiol. 2005;43:4602-6 pubmed..In summary, PCR was the most sensitive test for detecting vaccinia virus in clinical specimens, while the DFA was the most rapid but the least sensitive test. ..
- Gozes Y, Moayeri M, Wiggins J, Leppla S. Anthrax lethal toxin induces ketotifen-sensitive intradermal vascular leakage in certain inbred mice. Infect Immun. 2006;74:1266-72 pubmed..We describe here a ketotifen-sensitive vascular leakage event induced by LT which is the most rapid in vivo or in vitro LT-mediated effect reported to date. ..
- Huter E, Punkosdy G, Glass D, Cheng L, Ward J, Shevach E. TGF-beta-induced Foxp3+ regulatory T cells rescue scurfy mice. Eur J Immunol. 2008;38:1814-21 pubmed publisher..Thus, TGF-beta-differentiated Foxp3+ Treg appear to possess all of the functional properties of thymic-derived nTreg and represent a potent population for the cellular immunotherapy of autoimmune and inflammatory diseases. ..
- Wolf R, Mascia F, Dharamsi A, Howard O, Cataisson C, Bliskovski V, et al. Gene from a psoriasis susceptibility locus primes the skin for inflammation. Sci Transl Med. 2010;2:61ra90 pubmed publisher..This study provides a pathogenetic psoriasis model using a psoriasis candidate gene to link the epidermis and innate immune system in inflammation priming, highlighting the S100A7A15-RAGE axis as a potential therapeutic target. ..
- Wohlfert E, Grainger J, Bouladoux N, Konkel J, Oldenhove G, Ribeiro C, et al. GATA3 controls Foxp3âº regulatory T cell fate during inflammation in mice. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:4503-15 pubmed publisher..Overall, our work reveals what we believe to be a new facet in the complex role of GATA3 in T cells and highlights what may be a fundamental role in controlling Treg physiology during inflammation. ..
- Bustos Arriaga J, Mita Mendoza N, Lopez Gonzalez M, GarcÃa Cordero J, JuÃ¡rez Delgado F, Gromowski G, et al. Soluble mediators produced by the crosstalk between microvascular endothelial cells and dengue-infected primary dermal fibroblasts inhibit dengue virus replication and increase leukocyte transmigration. Immunol Res. 2016;64:392-403 pubmed publisher..These effects were partly dependent on HDF donor and DENV serotype, which may provide novel insights into the natural variation in host susceptibility to DENV disease. ..
- Egan C, Lazarova Z, Darling T, Yee C, Yancey K. Anti-epiligrin cicatricial pemphigoid: clinical findings, immunopathogenesis, and significant associations. Medicine (Baltimore). 2003;82:177-86 pubmed..AECP patients also demonstrate a significant risk for mortality as a consequence of treatment with systemic immunosuppressives. The current longitudinal study suggests that only a minority of AECP patients go into remission. ..
- Kong H, Fine H, Stern J, Turner M. Cutaneous pigmentation after photosensitivity induced by vandetanib therapy. Arch Dermatol. 2009;145:923-5 pubmed publisher..Aggressive photoprotection may facilitate the resolution of diffuse hyperpigmentation. Dermatologists should endeavor to identify and report novel cutaneous adverse effects as new targeted therapies are developed. ..
- Mukouyama Y, James J, Nam J, Uchida Y. Whole-mount confocal microscopy for vascular branching morphogenesis. Methods Mol Biol. 2012;843:69-78 pubmed publisher..Laser scanning confocal microscopy with multiple labeling allows for robust imaging of blood and lymphatic vessel branching morphogenesis with excellent resolution. ..
- Choi W, Kolbe L, Hearing V. Characterization of the bioactive motif of neuregulin-1, a fibroblast-derived paracrine factor that regulates the constitutive color and the function of melanocytes in human skin. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2012;25:477-81 pubmed publisher..This smaller bioactive peptide might have an advantage in clinical applications in which it modulates only pigmentation and does not stimulate melanocyte proliferation. ..
- Aubert P, SuÃ¡rez FariÃ±as M, Mitsui H, Johnson Huang L, Harden J, Pierson K, et al. Homeostatic tissue responses in skin biopsies from NOMID patients with constitutive overproduction of IL-1Î². PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49408 pubmed publisher..Overall, the dysregulated genes and pathways suggest extensive "adaptive" mechanisms to control inflammation and maintain tissue homeostasis, likely triggered by chronic IL-1 release in the skin of patients with NOMID. ..
- Sokolov M, NEUMANN R. Global Gene Expression Alterations as a Crucial Constituent of Human Cell Response to Low Doses of Ionizing Radiation Exposure. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;17: pubmed publisher..Changes in gene expression, not only at the level of mRNA, but also miRNA, have been found to crucially underlie these effects having implications for radiation protection purposes. ..
- Daly J, Caceres J, Moni R, Gusovsky F, Moos M, Seamon K, et al. Frog secretions and hunting magic in the upper Amazon: identification of a peptide that interacts with an adenosine receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:10960-3 pubmed..The vasoactive peptide sauvagine, the opioid peptides, and adenoregulin and related peptides affect behavior in mice and presumably contribute to the behavioral sequelae observed in humans. ..
- Liu Y, Suzuki K, Reed J, Grinberg A, Westphal H, Hoffmann A, et al. Mice with type 2 and 3 Gaucher disease point mutations generated by a single insertion mutagenesis procedure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:2503-8 pubmed..Surprisingly, both point mutation mice died within 48 hr of birth, apparently of a compromised epidermal permeability barrier caused by defective glucosylceramide metabolism in the epidermis. ..
- Oh W, Rishi V, Orosz A, Gerdes M, Vinson C. Inhibition of CCAAT/enhancer binding protein family DNA binding in mouse epidermis prevents and regresses papillomas. Cancer Res. 2007;67:1867-76 pubmed..These results implicate DNA binding of C/EBP family members as a potential molecular therapeutic target. ..
- Citrin D, Mansueti J, Likhacheva A, Sciuto L, Albert P, Rudy S, et al. Long-term outcomes and toxicity of concurrent paclitaxel and radiotherapy for locally advanced head-and-neck cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009;74:1040-6 pubmed publisher..Xerostomia, hypothyroidism, esophageal and pharyngeal complications, and subcutaneous fibrosis were common long-term toxicities; however, the vast majority of toxicities were grade 1 or 2. ..
- Gupta S, Scanderbeg D, Kamrava M, Yashar C. Unexpected toxicity in a patient treated with 3D conformal accelerated partial breast radiotherapy. Brachytherapy. 2009;8:207-209 pubmed publisher..Upon fusing the treatment-planning CT with a diagnostic CT, it was evident that the rib fractures fell within the 100% isodose line of the 3D conformal plan. ..
- Elentner A, Ortner D, Clausen B, Gonzalez F, Fernandez Salguero P, Schmuth M, et al. Skin response to a carcinogen involves the xenobiotic receptor pregnane X receptor. Exp Dermatol. 2015;24:835-40 pubmed publisher..This is the first report suggesting that carcinogens might trigger PXR in epidermal cells, particularly in LCs, thus leading to DNA damage. Further studies are required to better delineate the role of PXR in cutaneous carcinogenesis. ..
- Bauer A, Stratakis C. The lentiginoses: cutaneous markers of systemic disease and a window to new aspects of tumourigenesis. J Med Genet. 2005;42:801-10 pubmed
- Wakefield L, Stuelten C. Keeping order in the neighborhood: new roles for TGFbeta in maintaining epithelial homeostasis. Cancer Cell. 2007;12:293-5 pubmed
- Coelho S, Koo E, Hearing V. Standardization of in vitro macrophotography for assessment of cutaneous responses. Photochem Photobiol. 2009;85:1032-7 pubmed publisher..This serves as an adjunct tool to biochemical and morphological methods to effectively quantify changes in pigmentation over time. ..
- Oh J, Byrd A, Park M, Kong H, Segre J. Temporal Stability of the Human Skin Microbiome. Cell. 2016;165:854-66 pubmed publisher..Longitudinal stability of skin microbial communities generates hypotheses about colonization resistance and empowers clinical studies exploring alterations observed in disease states. ..
- Kiss A, Wang N, Xie J, Thorgeirsson S. Analysis of transforming growth factor (TGF)-alpha/epidermal growth factor receptor, hepatocyte growth Factor/c-met,TGF-beta receptor type II, and p53 expression in human hepatocellular carcinomas. Clin Cancer Res. 1997;3:1059-66 pubmed..Taken together, our data suggest that down-regulation of c-met and TGF-beta-RII may, together with p53 mutations, play a significant role in human liver carcinogenesis. ..
- Papadopoulos E, Sassetti C, Saeki H, Yamada N, Kawamura T, Fitzhugh D, et al. Fractalkine, a CX3C chemokine, is expressed by dendritic cells and is up-regulated upon dendritic cell maturation. Eur J Immunol. 1999;29:2551-9 pubmed
- Semnani R, Law M, Kubofcik J, Nutman T. Filaria-induced immune evasion: suppression by the infective stage of Brugia malayi at the earliest host-parasite interface. J Immunol. 2004;172:6229-38 pubmed..These data suggest that L3 exert a down-regulatory response in epidermal LC that leads to a diminished capacity of these cells to activate CD4(+) T cells. ..
- Sugaya M, Fang L, Cardones A, Kakinuma T, Jaber S, Blauvelt A, et al. Oncostatin M enhances CCL21 expression by microvascular endothelial cells and increases the efficiency of dendritic cell trafficking to lymph nodes. J Immunol. 2006;177:7665-72 pubmed..016). In summary, OSM up-regulates CCL21 expression in skin and draining regional LN. We propose that OSM is a regulator of CCL21 expression and endothelial permeability in skin, contributing to efficient migration of DC to regional LN. ..
- Brenner M, Hearing V. The protective role of melanin against UV damage in human skin. Photochem Photobiol. 2008;84:539-49 pubmed publisher..This article outlines the major acute and chronic effects of UVR on human skin, the properties of melanin, the regulation of pigmentation and its effect on skin cancer prevention. ..
- Coelho S, Zmudzka B, Yin L, Miller S, Yamaguchi Y, Tadokoro T, et al. Non-invasive diffuse reflectance measurements of cutaneous melanin content can predict human sensitivity to ultraviolet radiation. Exp Dermatol. 2013;22:266-71 pubmed publisher..The use of DR serves as a tool for predicting UVR sensitivity in humans that should be invaluable for determining appropriate UVR doses for therapeutic, diagnostic and/or cosmetic devices. ..
- Stashower M, Krivda S, Turiansky G. Fox-Fordyce disease: diagnosis with transverse histologic sections. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2000;42:89-91 pubmed..We propose that transverse histologic sectioning of biopsy specimens of patients suspected of having FFD more effectively demonstrates the diagnostic features. ..
- Kim Y, Romero R, Chaiworapongsa T, Espinoza J, Mor G, Kim C. Dermatitis as a component of the fetal inflammatory response syndrome is associated with activation of Toll-like receptors in epidermal keratinocytes. Histopathology. 2006;49:506-14 pubmed..We propose that this 'FIRS-associated fetal dermatitis' is a fetal counterpart of chorioamnionitis. ..
- Yamaguchi Y, Coelho S, Zmudzka B, Takahashi K, Beer J, Hearing V, et al. Cyclobutane pyrimidine dimer formation and p53 production in human skin after repeated UV irradiation. Exp Dermatol. 2008;17:916-24 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that pigmentation induced in skin by repeated UV irradiation protects against subsequent UV-induced DNA damage but not as effectively as constitutive pigmentation. ..
- Isenberg J, Qin Y, Maxhimer J, Sipes J, Despres D, Schnermann J, et al. Thrombospondin-1 and CD47 regulate blood pressure and cardiac responses to vasoactive stress. Matrix Biol. 2009;28:110-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, the matricellular protein thrombospondin-1 and its receptor CD47 serve as acute physiological regulators of blood pressure and exert a vasopressor activity to maintain global hemodynamics under stress. ..
- Kong H. Skin microbiome: genomics-based insights into the diversity and role of skin microbes. Trends Mol Med. 2011;17:320-8 pubmed publisher..This review discusses current skin microbiome research, with a primary focus on bacteria, and the challenges facing investigators striving to understand how skin microorganisms contribute to health and disease. ..
- Birger Y, West K, Postnikov Y, Lim J, Furusawa T, Wagner J, et al. Chromosomal protein HMGN1 enhances the rate of DNA repair in chromatin. EMBO J. 2003;22:1665-75 pubmed..By reducing the compaction of the higher-order chromatin structure, HMGN1 facilitates access to UV-damaged DNA sites and enhances the rate of DNA repair in chromatin. ..
- Edghill Smith Y, Venzon D, Karpova T, McNally J, Nacsa J, Tsai W, et al. Modeling a safer smallpox vaccination regimen, for human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected patients, in immunocompromised macaques. J Infect Dis. 2003;188:1181-91 pubmed
- Tadokoro T, Yamaguchi Y, Batzer J, Coelho S, Zmudzka B, Miller S, et al. Mechanisms of skin tanning in different racial/ethnic groups in response to ultraviolet radiation. J Invest Dermatol. 2005;124:1326-32 pubmed..These results provide a basis for understanding the origin of different skin colors and responses to UV within different races. ..
- Prabhakara R, Foreman O, De Pascalis R, Lee G, Plaut R, Kim S, et al. Epicutaneous model of community-acquired Staphylococcus aureus skin infections. Infect Immun. 2013;81:1306-15 pubmed publisher..In vivo neutrophil depletion demonstrated that neutrophils play a protective role in preventing bacterial dissemination and fatal invasive infection. ..
- Coulibaly M, Gabriel E, Sinaba Y, Sylla D, Sacko A, Sylla L, et al. Optimizing Direct Membrane and Direct Skin Feeding Assays for Plasmodium falciparum Transmission-Blocking Vaccine Trials in Bancoumana, Mali. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:719-725 pubmed publisher..Based on these findings, we make specific recommendations for optimal feeding parameters in the different assay types to maximize the chance of detecting parasite transmission in a standardized manner. ..
- Ohshima T, Schiffmann R, Murray G, Kopp J, Quirk J, Stahl S, et al. Aging accentuates and bone marrow transplantation ameliorates metabolic defects in Fabry disease mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:6423-7 pubmed..These findings suggest that BMT may have a potential role in the management of patients with Fabry disease. ..
- Daly J, Garraffo H, Spande T, Yeh H, Peltzer P, Cacivio P, et al. Indolizidine 239Q and quinolizidine 275I. Major alkaloids in two Argentinian bufonid toads (Melanophryniscus). Toxicon. 2008;52:858-70 pubmed publisher..A third alkaloid, 249F (3), is postulated to be a homopumiliotoxin with an unprecedented conjugated exocyclic diene moiety. ..
- Chen Z, Wang X, Jin T, Wang Y, Hong C, Tan L, et al. Increase in the radioresistance of normal skin fibroblasts but not tumor cells by mechanical injury. Cell Death Dis. 2017;8:e2573 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that mechanical injury to normal fibroblasts enhances radioresistance and may therefore question conventional wisdom surrounding the timing of radiation after surgery. ..
- Brockow K, Akin C, Huber M, Scott L, Schwartz L, Metcalfe D. Levels of mast-cell growth factors in plasma and in suction skin blister fluid in adults with mastocytosis: correlation with dermal mast-cell numbers and mast-cell tryptase. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2002;109:82-8 pubmed..Mast-cell accumulation has been observed in the skin and other organs of patients with systemic indolent mastocytosis (SM). The basis for this pathologic increase is not fully understood...
- Costin G, Valencia J, Vieira W, Lamoreux M, Hearing V. Tyrosinase processing and intracellular trafficking is disrupted in mouse primary melanocytes carrying the underwhite (uw) mutation. A model for oculocutaneous albinism (OCA) type 4. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:3203-12 pubmed..This mechanism explains the hypopigmentary phenotype of these cells and provides new insights into the involvement of transporters in the normal physiology of melanocytes. ..
- Yamaguchi Y, Itami S, Watabe H, Yasumoto K, Abdel Malek Z, Kubo T, et al. Mesenchymal-epithelial interactions in the skin: increased expression of dickkopf1 by palmoplantar fibroblasts inhibits melanocyte growth and differentiation. J Cell Biol. 2004;165:275-85 pubmed
- Glod J, Kobiler D, Noel M, Koneru R, Lehrer S, Medina D, et al. Monocytes form a vascular barrier and participate in vessel repair after brain injury. Blood. 2006;107:940-6 pubmed..We also demonstrate that these cells associate with repairing vasculature in areas of brain and skin injury. Our data suggest that CD14+ peripheral blood monocytes participate in the repair of the vascular barrier after brain injury. ..
- James J, Nalbandian A, Mukouyama Y. TGF? signaling is required for sprouting lymphangiogenesis during lymphatic network development in the skin. Development. 2013;140:3903-14 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a dual role for TGF? signaling during lymphatic network morphogenesis in the skin, such that it enhances LEC sprouting and branching complexity while attenuating LEC proliferation. ..
- Rivadeneira E, Ferrari M, Jarrett R, Armstrong A, Markham P, Birkebak T, et al. A novel Epstein-Barr virus-like virus, HV(MNE), in a Macaca nemestrina with mycosis fungoides. Blood. 1999;94:2090-101 pubmed
- Metcalfe D, Akin C. Mastocytosis: molecular mechanisms and clinical disease heterogeneity. Leuk Res. 2001;25:577-82 pubmed
- Abdel Fattah R, Glick A, Rehman I, Maiberger P, Hennings H. Methylation of the O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase promoter suppresses expression in mouse skin tumors and varies with the tumor induction protocol. Int J Cancer. 2006;118:527-31 pubmed
- Dyer K, Rosenberg H. The RNase a superfamily: generation of diversity and innate host defense. Mol Divers. 2006;10:585-97 pubmed..190 words). ..
- Kimblin N, Peters N, Debrabant A, Secundino N, Egen J, Lawyer P, et al. Quantification of the infectious dose of Leishmania major transmitted to the skin by single sand flies. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:10125-30 pubmed publisher..The low dose resulted in only minor pathology but a higher parasite titer in the chronic phase, and it established the host as an efficient long-term reservoir of infection back to vector sand flies...
- Szabo R, Kosa P, List K, Bugge T. Loss of matriptase suppression underlies spint1 mutation-associated ichthyosis and postnatal lethality. Am J Pathol. 2009;174:2015-22 pubmed publisher..This study identifies matriptase suppression as an essential function of HAI-1 in postnatal tissue homeostasis. ..
- Rozenberg J, Rishi V, Orosz A, Moitra J, Glick A, Vinson C. Inhibition of CREB function in mouse epidermis reduces papilloma formation. Mol Cancer Res. 2009;7:654-64 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that inhibiting CREB function is a valuable cancer prevention strategy. ..
- Okano J, Lichti U, Mamiya S, Aronova M, Zhang G, Yuspa S, et al. Increased retinoic acid levels through ablation of Cyp26b1 determine the processes of embryonic skin barrier formation and peridermal development. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:1827-36 pubmed publisher..These results are important in understanding pathologies associated with abnormal embryonic skin development and barrier dysfunction. ..
- Kiang J, Ledney G. Skin injuries reduce survival and modulate corticosterone, C-reactive protein, complement component 3, IgM, and prostaglandin E 2 after whole-body reactor-produced mixed field (n + ?-photons) irradiation. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2013;2013:821541 pubmed publisher..Agents inhibiting these responses may prove to be therapeutic for RCI and improve related survival. ..
- Reiser J, Harmison G, Kluepfel Stahl S, Brady R, Karlsson S, Schubert M. Transduction of nondividing cells using pseudotyped defective high-titer HIV type 1 particles. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:15266-71 pubmed..Human CD34+ cells were transduced efficiently using HIV-1 pseudotype particles without prior stimulation with cytokines. ..