Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on signal transduction in Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Locale: Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Topic: signal transduction
Publications695 found, 100 shown here
- Asnaghi L, Vass W, Quadri R, Day P, Qian X, Braverman R, et al. E-cadherin negatively regulates neoplastic growth in non-small cell lung cancer: role of Rho GTPases. Oncogene. 2010;29:2760-71 pubmed publisher..These proteins can be considered downstream effectors of E-cadherin and might represent therapeutic targets in some NSCLC. ..
- Blumberg P, Pearce L, Lee J. TRPV1 activation is not an all-or-none event: TRPV1 partial agonism/antagonism and its regulatory modulation. Curr Top Med Chem. 2011;11:2151-8 pubmed..Partial agonism/partial antagonism, its modulation by signaling pathways, variable desensitization, and slow kinetics of action can all be exploited through drug design. ..
- Stojilkovic S, Kretschmannova K, TomiÄ‡ M, Stratakis C. Dependence of the excitability of pituitary cells on cyclic nucleotides. J Neuroendocrinol. 2012;24:1183-200 pubmed publisher..We review the findings and working hypotheses on the role of the cyclic nucleotides and their kinases in the control of electrical activity of the endocrine pituitary cells and the plasma membrane channels involved in this process. ..
- Pelletier M, Lepow T, Billingham L, Murphy M, Siegel R. New tricks from an old dog: mitochondrial redox signaling in cellular inflammation. Semin Immunol. 2012;24:384-92 pubmed publisher..These findings have highlighted mitochondrial ROS as a novel generator of pro-inflammatory ROS and a potential therapeutic target in inflammatory diseases. ..
- Zhang H, Du L, Zhong Y, Flanders K, Roberts J. Transforming growth factor-? stimulates Smad1/5 signaling in pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells and fibroblasts of the newborn mouse through ALK1. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2017;313:L615-L627 pubmed publisher..They also indicate the importance of considering alternate Smad pathways in studies directed at determining how TGF-? regulates newborn lung development. ..
- Sakata H, Stahl S, Taylor W, Rosenberg J, Sakaguchi K, Wingfield P, et al. Heparin binding and oligomerization of hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor isoforms. Heparan sulfate glycosaminoglycan requirement for Met binding and signaling. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:9457-63 pubmed..These findings establish the importance of the N domain for heparin-ligand and ligand-ligand interactions, and demonstrate a crucial role for HSGAG in receptor binding and signal transduction. ..
- Jhappan C, Yusufzai T, Anderson S, Anver M, Merlino G. The p53 response to DNA damage in vivo is independent of DNA-dependent protein kinase. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:4075-83 pubmed
- Burke R. Comparison of alternative designs for reducing complex neurons to equivalent cables. J Comput Neurosci. 2000;9:31-47 pubmed..This was the case in the presence of a somatic shunt as well as when membrane resistivity was uniform. ..
- Bosselut R, Feigenbaum L, Sharrow S, Singer A. Strength of signaling by CD4 and CD8 coreceptor tails determines the number but not the lineage direction of positively selected thymocytes. Immunity. 2001;14:483-94 pubmed
- Dubois S, Mariner J, Waldmann T, Tagaya Y. IL-15Ralpha recycles and presents IL-15 In trans to neighboring cells. Immunity. 2002;17:537-47 pubmed..Finally, these complexes on activated monocytes present IL-15 in trans to target cells such as CD8(+) T cells that express only IL-2/15Rbeta and gammac upon cell-cell interaction. ..
- Ebong S, Chepelinsky A, Robinson M, Zhao H, Yu C, Egwuagu C. Characterization of the roles of STAT1 and STAT3 signal transduction pathways in mammalian lens development. Mol Vis. 2004;10:122-31 pubmed
- Gulmann C, Espina V, Petricoin E, Longo D, Santi M, Knutsen T, et al. Proteomic analysis of apoptotic pathways reveals prognostic factors in follicular lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;11:5847-55 pubmed..Proteomic end points should be incorporated in larger, multicenter trials to validate the clinical utility of these protein microarray findings. ..
- Isenberg J, Romeo M, Abu Asab M, Tsokos M, Oldenborg A, Pappan L, et al. Increasing survival of ischemic tissue by targeting CD47. Circ Res. 2007;100:712-20 pubmed..Thus, limiting CD47-dependent antagonism of NO-mediated vasodilation and vascular remodeling is a promising therapeutic modality to preserve tissues subject to ischemic stress. ..
- Zhang Z, Lee Y, Kim S, Choi M, Tsai P, Saha A, et al. Production of lysophosphatidylcholine by cPLA2 in the brain of mice lacking PPT1 is a signal for phagocyte infiltration. Hum Mol Genet. 2007;16:837-47 pubmed..We propose that increased cPLA(2)-catalyzed LPC production in the brain is at least one of the mechanisms that mediate phagocyte infiltration contributing to INCL neuropathology. ..
- Radaeva S, Wang L, Radaev S, Jeong W, Park O, Gao B. Retinoic acid signaling sensitizes hepatic stellate cells to NK cell killing via upregulation of NK cell activating ligand RAE1. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2007;293:G809-16 pubmed..In contrast, fully activated HSCs become resistant to NK cell killing because of lack of RAE1 expression, leading to chronic liver fibrosis and disease. ..
- Buac K, Xu M, Cronin J, Weeraratna A, Hewitt S, Pavan W. NRG1 / ERBB3 signaling in melanocyte development and melanoma: inhibition of differentiation and promotion of proliferation. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2009;22:773-84 pubmed publisher..We propose that targeting ERBB3 activation and downstream genes identified in this study may provide novel therapeutic interventions for malignant melanoma. ..
- Stroth N, Eiden L. Stress hormone synthesis in mouse hypothalamus and adrenal gland triggered by restraint is dependent on pituitary adenylate cyclase-activating polypeptide signaling. Neuroscience. 2010;165:1025-30 pubmed publisher..These findings identify PACAP as a major contributor to the stimulus-secretion-synthesis coupling that supports stress responses in vivo. ..
- Liu B, Faia L, Hu M, Nussenblatt R. Pro-angiogenic effect of IFNgamma is dependent on the PI3K/mTOR/translational pathway in human retinal pigmented epithelial cells. Mol Vis. 2010;16:184-93 pubmed
- Freudlsperger C, Bian Y, Contag Wise S, Burnett J, Coupar J, Yang X, et al. TGF-β and NF-κB signal pathway cross-talk is mediated through TAK1 and SMAD7 in a subset of head and neck cancers. Oncogene. 2013;32:1549-59 pubmed publisher..Celastrol highlights the therapeutic potential of agents targeting TAK1 as a key node in this pro-oncogenic TGF-β-NF-κB signal pathway. ..
- Daley W, Yamada K. ECM-modulated cellular dynamics as a driving force for tissue morphogenesis. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2013;23:408-14 pubmed publisher..Finally, we end with an overview of the dynamic mechanisms by which the ECM can regulate stem cell differentiation to contribute to proper tissue morphogenesis. ..
- Weinstein L, Shenker A, Gejman P, Merino M, Friedman E, Spiegel A. Activating mutations of the stimulatory G protein in the McCune-Albright syndrome. N Engl J Med. 1991;325:1688-95 pubmed..We analyzed DNA from tissues of patients with the McCune-Albright syndrome for the presence of activating mutations of the gene for the alpha subunit of the G protein (Gs alpha) that stimulates cAMP formation...
- Abe R, Vandenberghe P, Craighead N, Smoot D, Lee K, June C. Distinct signal transduction in mouse CD4+ and CD8+ splenic T cells after CD28 receptor ligation. J Immunol. 1995;154:985-97 pubmed..These results indicate that the costimulatory signal delivered by CD28 may have fundamentally different biochemical properties in CD4 and CD8 T cell subsets, and therefore the functional role of CD28 may differ in these T cell subsets. ..
- Santoni Rugiu E, Preisegger K, Kiss A, Audolfsson T, Shiota G, Schmidt E, et al. Inhibition of neoplastic development in the liver by hepatocyte growth factor in a transgenic mouse model. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:9577-82 pubmed..The results indicate that HGF may function as a tumor suppressor during early stages of liver carcinogenesis, and suggest the possibility of therapeutic application for this cytokine. ..
- Ota Y, Samelson L. The product of the proto-oncogene c-cbl: a negative regulator of the Syk tyrosine kinase. Science. 1997;276:418-20 pubmed..Complex adaptor proteins such as Cbl can directly regulate the functions of the proteins they bind. ..
- Lin K, Wang S, Julius M, Kitajewski J, Moos M, Luyten F. The cysteine-rich frizzled domain of Frzb-1 is required and sufficient for modulation of Wnt signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:11196-200 pubmed..Interestingly, Frzb-1 does not block Wnt-5A signaling in a Xenopus functional assay, even though Wnt-5A coimmunoprecipitates with Frzb-1, suggesting that coimmunoprecipitation does not necessarily imply inhibition of Wnt function. ..
- Peng B, Robert Guroff M. Deletion of N-terminal myristoylation site of HIV Nef abrogates both MHC-1 and CD4 down-regulation. Immunol Lett. 2001;78:195-200 pubmed..Non-myristoylated Nef containing a full complement of CTL epitopes has greater potential as a vaccine component than wild-type Nef. ..
- Germain R. T-cell development and the CD4-CD8 lineage decision. Nat Rev Immunol. 2002;2:309-22 pubmed..Aspects of both models now appear to be correct; mistake-prone instruction of lineage choice precedes a subsequent selection step that filters out most incorrect decisions. ..
- Wigginton J, Lee J, Wiltrout T, Alvord W, Hixon J, Subleski J, et al. Synergistic engagement of an ineffective endogenous anti-tumor immune response and induction of IFN-gamma and Fas-ligand-dependent tumor eradication by combined administration of IL-18 and IL-2. J Immunol. 2002;169:4467-74 pubmed
- Herbeuval J, Hardy A, Boasso A, Anderson S, Dolan M, Dy M, et al. Regulation of TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand on primary CD4+ T cells by HIV-1: role of type I IFN-producing plasmacytoid dendritic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:13974-9 pubmed..Our findings suggest a potential unique role of pDCs in the immunopathogenesis of HIV-1 infection by inducing the death molecule TRAIL. ..
- Roberts A, Tian F, Byfield S, Stuelten C, Ooshima A, Saika S, et al. Smad3 is key to TGF-beta-mediated epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition, fibrosis, tumor suppression and metastasis. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2006;17:19-27 pubmed..These observations suggest that development of small molecule inhibitors of Smad3 might have clinical application in treatment of fibrotic diseases as well as late stage cancers. ..
- Braiman A, Barda Saad M, Sommers C, Samelson L. Recruitment and activation of PLCgamma1 in T cells: a new insight into old domains. EMBO J. 2006;25:774-84 pubmed..These novel findings entailed revision of the currently accepted model of PLCgamma1 recruitment and activation in T lymphocytes. ..
- Pagel Langenickel I, Buttgereit J, Bader M, Langenickel T. Natriuretic peptide receptor B signaling in the cardiovascular system: protection from cardiac hypertrophy. J Mol Med (Berl). 2007;85:797-810 pubmed
- Rajesh M, Mukhopadhyay P, Batkai S, Hasko G, Liaudet L, Huffman J, et al. CB2-receptor stimulation attenuates TNF-alpha-induced human endothelial cell activation, transendothelial migration of monocytes, and monocyte-endothelial adhesion. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;293:H2210-8 pubmed
- ..Structural studies of innate immune receptors and their signaling pathways are essential in our understanding of pattern recognition mechanisms and design of more efficient vaccine adjuvants. ..
- Tapocik J, Solomon M, Flanigan M, Meinhardt M, Barbier E, Schank J, et al. Coordinated dysregulation of mRNAs and microRNAs in the rat medial prefrontal cortex following a history of alcohol dependence. Pharmacogenomics J. 2013;13:286-96 pubmed publisher..MicroRNA-mediated alterations of transcriptional networks may be involved in disrupted prefrontal control over alcohol drinking observed in alcoholic patients. ..
- Killian J, Kim S, Miettinen M, Smith C, Merino M, Tsokos M, et al. Succinate dehydrogenase mutation underlies global epigenomic divergence in gastrointestinal stromal tumor. Cancer Discov. 2013;3:648-57 pubmed publisher..These data expose a vital connection between succinate metabolism and genomic DNA methylation during tumorigenesis, and generally implicate the mitochondrial Krebs cycle in nuclear epigenomic maintenance. ..
- Li Q, Pène V, Krishnamurthy S, Cha H, Liang T. Hepatitis C virus infection activates an innate pathway involving IKK-α in lipogenesis and viral assembly. Nat Med. 2013;19:722-9 pubmed publisher..Our results show that HCV uses a novel mechanism to exploit intrinsic innate responses and hijack lipid metabolism, which may contribute to high chronicity rates and the pathological hallmark of steatosis in HCV infection. ..
- Snyder G, Deredge D, Waldhuber A, Fresquez T, Wilkins D, Smith P, et al. Crystal structures of the Toll/Interleukin-1 receptor (TIR) domains from the Brucella protein TcpB and host adaptor TIRAP reveal mechanisms of molecular mimicry. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:669-79 pubmed publisher..These findings underscore the similarities and differences in the molecular features found in the microbial and host TIR domains, which suggests mechanisms of bacterial mimicry of host signaling adaptor proteins, such as TIRAP. ..
- Oyler Yaniv A, Oyler Yaniv J, Whitlock B, Liu Z, Germain R, Huse M, et al. A Tunable Diffusion-Consumption Mechanism of Cytokine Propagation Enables Plasticity in Cell-to-Cell Communication in the Immune System. Immunity. 2017;46:609-620 pubmed publisher..Our findings thus provide a basis for understanding variability in the patterning of immune responses by diffusible factors. ..
- Srivastava M, Eidelman O, Leighton X, Glasman M, Goping G, Pollard H. Anx7 is required for nutritional control of gene expression in mouse pancreatic islets of Langerhans. Mol Med. 2002;8:781-97 pubmed..We believe that the requirement for complete Anx7 gene dosage and IPTR3 expression in islets of Langerhans will prove to be of fundamental importance for understanding the mechanism of nutritional sensing in health and disease. ..
- Kanungo J, Kozmik Z, Swamynathan S, Piatigorsky J. Gelsolin is a dorsalizing factor in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:3287-92 pubmed..Our results indicate that gelsolin also modulates embryonic dorsalventral pattern formation in zebrafish. ..
- Saitoh S, Odom S, Gomez G, Sommers C, Young H, Rivera J, et al. The four distal tyrosines are required for LAT-dependent signaling in FcepsilonRI-mediated mast cell activation. J Exp Med. 2003;198:831-43 pubmed..Deletion of all four distal tyrosines, and in particular, loss of the primary phospholipase C-gamma-binding tyrosine had a significant effect on antigen-induced histamine release. ..
- Srivastava M, Montagna C, Leighton X, Glasman M, Naga S, Eidelman O, et al. Haploinsufficiency of Anx7 tumor suppressor gene and consequent genomic instability promotes tumorigenesis in the Anx7(+/-) mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:14287-92 pubmed
- Torres Vazquez J, Gitler A, Fraser S, Berk J, Van N Pham -, Fishman M, et al. Semaphorin-plexin signaling guides patterning of the developing vasculature. Dev Cell. 2004;7:117-23 pubmed..These results reveal the fundamental conservation of repulsive patterning mechanisms between axonal migration in the central nervous system and vascular endothelium during angiogenesis. ..
- Dickensheets H, Vazquez N, Sheikh F, Gingras S, Murray P, Ryan J, et al. Suppressor of cytokine signaling-1 is an IL-4-inducible gene in macrophages and feedback inhibits IL-4 signaling. Genes Immun. 2007;8:21-7 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate that, like IFN-gamma, IL-4 also induces expression of SOCS-1 in macrophages, and SOCS-1 feedback inhibits expression of STAT6-responsive genes. ..
- Ptasinska A, Wang S, Zhang J, Wesley R, Danner R. Nitric oxide activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma through a p38 MAPK signaling pathway. FASEB J. 2007;21:950-61 pubmed..PPARgamma activation by p38 MAPK may contribute to the anti-inflammatory and cytoprotective effects of NO* in the vasculature. This crosstalk mechanism suggests new strategies for preventing and treating vascular dysfunction. ..
- Rose J, Foley J, Yi L, Herren G, Venkatesan S. Cholesterol is obligatory for polarization and chemotaxis but not for endocytosis and associated signaling from chemoattractant receptors in human neutrophils. J Biomed Sci. 2008;15:441-61 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that spatial polarization of chemotactic mediators is orchestrated by protein:protein interactions that organize cholesterol-rich domains of the plasma membrane. ..
- Pashtan I, Tsutsumi S, Wang S, Xu W, Neckers L. Targeting Hsp90 prevents escape of breast cancer cells from tyrosine kinase inhibition. Cell Cycle. 2008;7:2936-41 pubmed..These data support the continued clinical evaluation of Hsp90 inhibitors in breast cancer. ..
- ..This review focuses on recent advances in the understanding of the molecular and biochemical mechanisms of non-Smad pathways. In addition, functions of these non-Smad pathways are also discussed. ..
- Zhu X, Zhao L, Willingham M, Cheng S. Thyroid hormone receptors are tumor suppressors in a mouse model of metastatic follicular thyroid carcinoma. Oncogene. 2010;29:1909-19 pubmed publisher..Thus, TRs could function as tumor suppressors in a mouse model of metastatic follicular thyroid cancer. ..
- Knox S, Lombaert I, Reed X, Vitale Cross L, Gutkind J, Hoffman M. Parasympathetic innervation maintains epithelial progenitor cells during salivary organogenesis. Science. 2010;329:1645-7 pubmed publisher..This mechanism for epithelial progenitor cell maintenance may be targeted for organ repair or regeneration. ..
- Meoli E, Oh U, Grant C, Jacobson S. TGF-Î² signaling is altered in the peripheral blood of subjects with multiple sclerosis. J Neuroimmunol. 2011;230:164-8 pubmed publisher..The response to exogenous TGF-Î² was intact, however, indicating an extrinsic defect of TGF-Î² signaling in MS. These results indicate that TGF-Î² control is diminished in MS. ..
- Hyde T, Lipska B, Ali T, Mathew S, Law A, Metitiri O, et al. Expression of GABA signaling molecules KCC2, NKCC1, and GAD1 in cortical development and schizophrenia. J Neurosci. 2011;31:11088-95 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that abnormalities in GABA signaling critical to brain development contribute to genetic risk for schizophrenia. ..
- Mackiewicz M, Huppi K, Pitt J, Dorsey T, Ambs S, Caplen N. Identification of the receptor tyrosine kinase AXL in breast cancer as a target for the human miR-34a microRNA. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011;130:663-79 pubmed publisher..Finally, we present an inverse correlative trend in miR-34a and AXL expression for both cell line and patient tumor samples. ..
- Yang Y, Shaffer A, Emre N, Ceribelli M, Zhang M, Wright G, et al. Exploiting synthetic lethality for the therapy of ABC diffuse large B cell lymphoma. Cancer Cell. 2012;21:723-37 pubmed publisher..Blockade of B cell receptor signaling using the BTK inhibitor ibrutinib also downregulates IRF4 and consequently synergizes with lenalidomide in killing ABC DLBCLs, suggesting attractive therapeutic strategies. ..
- Oishi N, Kumar M, Roessler S, Ji J, Forgues M, Budhu A, et al. Transcriptomic profiling reveals hepatic stem-like gene signatures and interplay of miR-200c and epithelial-mesenchymal transition in intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. Hepatology. 2012;56:1792-803 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the specific components of EMT may be exploited as critical biomarkers and clinically relevant therapeutic targets for an aggressive form of stem cell-like ICC. ..
- Chung J, Manganiello V, Dyck J. Resveratrol as a calorie restriction mimetic: therapeutic implications. Trends Cell Biol. 2012;22:546-54 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the current literature on the metabolic and cardiovascular effects of resveratrol and attempt to shed light on the controversies surrounding its action. ..
- Snyder G, Cirl C, Jiang J, Chen K, Waldhuber A, Smith P, et al. Molecular mechanisms for the subversion of MyD88 signaling by TcpC from virulent uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:6985-90 pubmed publisher..These findings thus provide a molecular basis for the subversion of TLR signaling by the uropathogenic E. coli virulence factor TcpC and furnish a framework for the design of novel therapeutic agents that modulate immune activation. ..
- Zimmerman S, Hueschen C, Malide D, Milgram S, Playford M. Sorting nexin 27 (SNX27) associates with zonula occludens-2 (ZO-2) and modulates the epithelial tight junction. Biochem J. 2013;455:95-106 pubmed publisher..Our results also indicate a role for SNX27-ZO-2 interactions in tight junction maintenance and function. ..
- Friedmann M, Migone T, Russell S, Leonard W. Different interleukin 2 receptor beta-chain tyrosines couple to at least two signaling pathways and synergistically mediate interleukin 2-induced proliferation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:2077-82 pubmed..In COS-7 cells, overexpression of Jak1 augmented phosphorylation of Y338 as well as Y392 and Y510, suggesting that the role for this Jak kinase may extend beyond the Jak-STAT pathway. ..
- Visconti R, Gadina M, Chiariello M, Chen E, Stancato L, Gutkind J, et al. Importance of the MKK6/p38 pathway for interleukin-12-induced STAT4 serine phosphorylation and transcriptional activity. Blood. 2000;96:1844-52 pubmed..Blood. 2000;96:1844-1852) ..
- Tan D, Nonaka K, Nuckolls G, Liu Y, Maxson R, Slavkin H, et al. YY1 activates Msx2 gene independent of bone morphogenetic protein signaling. Nucleic Acids Res. 2002;30:1213-23 pubmed..Taken together, these findings suggest that YY1 functions as an activator for the Msx2 gene, and that this regulation, which is independent of the BMP4 pathway, may be required during early mouse craniofacial and limb morphogenesis. ..
- O Mahony D, Bishop M. Monoclonal antibody therapy. Front Biosci. 2006;11:1620-35 pubmed..In this article, we shall review and discuss the monoclonal antibodies approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). in the management of cancer. ..
- Rivera J, Olivera A. A current understanding of Fc epsilon RI-dependent mast cell activation. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2008;8:14-20 pubmed..Here, we summarize the current knowledge and future challenges and directions. ..
- Shimamura T, Fujisawa T, Husain S, Kioi M, Nakajima A, Puri R. Novel role of IL-13 in fibrosis induced by nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and its amelioration by IL-13R-directed cytotoxin in a rat model. J Immunol. 2008;181:4656-65 pubmed
- Kohn K, Aladjem M, Weinstein J, Pommier Y. Network architecture of signaling from uncoupled helicase-polymerase to cell cycle checkpoints and trans-lesion DNA synthesis. Cell Cycle. 2009;8:2281-99 pubmed..In addition, the network architecture disclosed by the hierarchical map, suggested a speculative model for how molecular crowding and the granular localization of network components in the cell nucleus can facilitate function. ..
- Ji Y, Lu Y, Yang F, Shen W, Tang T, Feng L, et al. Acute and gradual increases in BDNF concentration elicit distinct signaling and functions in neurons. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:302-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, the kinetics of TrkB activation is critical for cell signaling and functions. This temporal dimension in cellular signaling may also have implications for the therapeutic drug design. ..
- Linkous A, Yazlovitskaya E. Cytosolic phospholipase A2 as a mediator of disease pathogenesis. Cell Microbiol. 2010;12:1369-77 pubmed publisher..This review briefly discusses the role of cPLA(2) in the biological response to disease-causing pathogens and injury, the immunological process and tumour progression. ..
- Gunaratne R, Braucht D, Rinschen M, Chou C, Hoffert J, Pisitkun T, et al. Quantitative phosphoproteomic analysis reveals cAMP/vasopressin-dependent signaling pathways in native renal thick ascending limb cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:15653-8 pubmed publisher..These results support the view that, although protein kinase A plays a central role in mTAL signaling, additional kinases, including those that target proline-directed motifs, may be involved. ..
- Ding Y, Gao Z, Jacobson K, Suffredini A. Dexamethasone enhances ATP-induced inflammatory responses in endothelial cells. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010;335:693-702 pubmed publisher..These data define a novel positive feedback loop of glucocorticoids and ATP-induced endothelial inflammation. ..
- Larochelle A, Savona M, Wiggins M, Anderson S, Ichwan B, Keyvanfar K, et al. Human and rhesus macaque hematopoietic stem cells cannot be purified based only on SLAM family markers. Blood. 2011;117:1550-4 pubmed publisher..Thus, SLAM family markers do not permit the same degree of HSC enrichment in humans and rhesus macaques as in mice. ..
- Kim J, Adelstein R. LPA(1) -induced migration requires nonmuscle myosin II light chain phosphorylation in breast cancer cells. J Cell Physiol. 2011;226:2881-93 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest defined pathways for signaling through the LPA(1) receptor to promote LPA-mediated NM II activation and subsequent cell migration in 4T1 breast cancer cells. ..
- Ramadan E, Basselin M, Rao J, Chang L, Chen M, Ma K, et al. Lamotrigine blocks NMDA receptor-initiated arachidonic acid signalling in rat brain: implications for its efficacy in bipolar disorder. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2012;15:931-43 pubmed publisher..Since markers of the AA cascade and of NMDAR signalling are up-regulated in the post-mortem BD brain, mood stabilizers generally may be effective in BD by dampening NMDAR signalling and the AA cascade. ..
- Chen S, Li W. A color-coding amacrine cell may provide a blue-off signal in a mammalian retina. Nat Neurosci. 2012;15:954-6 pubmed publisher..This glycinergic inhibitory S-cone amacrine cell is ideally placed for driving blue-Off responses in downstream ganglion cells. ..
- Baba M, Keller J, Sun H, Resch W, Kuchen S, Suh H, et al. The folliculin-FNIP1 pathway deleted in human Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome is required for murine B-cell development. Blood. 2012;120:1254-61 pubmed publisher..Our studies thus demonstrate that the FLCN-FNIP complex deregulated in BHD syndrome is absolutely required for B-cell differentiation, and that it functions through both mTOR-dependent and independent pathways. ..
- Nayak D, Johnson K, Heydari S, Roth T, Zinselmeyer B, McGavern D. Type I interferon programs innate myeloid dynamics and gene expression in the virally infected nervous system. PLoS Pathog. 2013;9:e1003395 pubmed publisher..This Achilles' heel could explain why so many neurotropic viruses have acquired strategies to suppress IFN-I. ..
- Dimitrov E, Kuo J, Kohno K, Usdin T. Neuropathic and inflammatory pain are modulated by tuberoinfundibular peptide of 39 residues. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:13156-61 pubmed publisher..TIP39's normal role may be to inhibit release of hypoalgesic amounts of norepinephrine during chronic pain. The neuropeptide may help maintain central sensitization, which could serve to enhance guarding behavior. ..
- Takai S, Schlom J, Tucker J, Tsang K, Greiner J. Inhibition of TGF-Î²1 signaling promotes central memory T cell differentiation. J Immunol. 2013;191:2299-307 pubmed publisher..These results may provide a rationale to targeting TGF-Î² signaling to enhance Ag-specific CD8(+) T cell memory against a lethal infection or cancer. ..
- Ortmann R, Smeltz R, Yap G, Sher A, Shevach E. A heritable defect in IL-12 signaling in B10.Q/J mice. I. In vitro analysis. J Immunol. 2001;166:5712-9 pubmed..This subtle abnormality in IL-12 responsiveness results in a profound defect in the generation of Th1 cells and the development of autoimmune disease. ..
- Felici A, Wurthner J, Parks W, Giam L, Reiss M, Karpova T, et al. TLP, a novel modulator of TGF-beta signaling, has opposite effects on Smad2- and Smad3-dependent signaling. EMBO J. 2003;22:4465-77 pubmed..We propose that TLP might regulate the balance of Smad2 and Smad3 signaling by localizing Smad4 intracellularly, thus contributing to cellular specificity of TGF-beta transcriptional responses in both normal and pathophysiology. ..