Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on rats in Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Locale: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Publications672 found, 100 shown here
- Koitabashi N, Aiba T, Hesketh G, Rowell J, Zhang M, Takimoto E, et al. Cyclic GMP/PKG-dependent inhibition of TRPC6 channel activity and expression negatively regulates cardiomyocyte NFAT activation Novel mechanism of cardiac stress modulation by PDE5 inhibition. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2010;48:713-24 pubmed publisher..Thus PDE5-inhibition blocks TRPC6 channel activation and associated Cn/NFAT activation signaling by PKG-dependent channel phosphorylation. ..
- Lingappa M, Song H, Thompson S, Bruchertseifer F, Morgenstern A, Sgouros G. Immunoliposomal delivery of 213Bi for alpha-emitter targeting of metastatic breast cancer. Cancer Res. 2010;70:6815-23 pubmed publisher..We have shown that the (213)Bi radiolabeled immunoliposomes are effective in treating early-stage micrometastases, giving median survival times similar to those obtained with antibody-mediated delivery of (213)Bi in this animal model. ..
- Hemelt M, Kwegyir Afful E, Bruno R, Simons D, Keller A. Consistency of angular tuning in the rat vibrissa system. J Neurophysiol. 2010;104:3105-12 pubmed publisher..We discuss the relevance of these findings for the transformation of inputs along the vibrissa trigeminal pathway and for the detection of sensory cues by whisking animals...
- Taylor S, Markham J, Taylor A, Kanaskie B, Koenig J. Sex-specific neuroendocrine and behavioral phenotypes in hypomorphic Type II Neuregulin 1 rats. Behav Brain Res. 2011;224:223-32 pubmed publisher..Our results provide further support for both the involvement of NRG1 in the control of hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis function and the sex-specific nature of this relationship. ..
- Lo F, Zhao S, Erzurumlu R. Astrocytes promote peripheral nerve injury-induced reactive synaptogenesis in the neonatal CNS. J Neurophysiol. 2011;106:2876-87 pubmed publisher..We conclude that immature astrocytes, purinergic receptors, and thrombospondins play an important role in reactive synaptogenesis in the peripherally deafferented neonatal PrV. ..
- Tweedie D, Ferguson R, Fishman K, Frankola K, van Praag H, Holloway H, et al. Tumor necrosis factor-? synthesis inhibitor 3,6'-dithiothalidomide attenuates markers of inflammation, Alzheimer pathology and behavioral deficits in animal models of neuroinflammation and Alzheimer's disease. J Neuroinflammation. 2012;9:106 pubmed publisher
- Karuppagounder S, Alim I, Khim S, Bourassa M, Sleiman S, John R, et al. Therapeutic targeting of oxygen-sensing prolyl hydroxylases abrogates ATF4-dependent neuronal death and improves outcomes after brain hemorrhage in several rodent models. Sci Transl Med. 2016;8:328ra29 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings demonstrate that brain-specific inactivation of the HIF-PHD metalloenzymes with the blood-brain barrier-permeable inhibitor adaptaquin can improve functional outcomes after ICH in several rodent models. ..
- Luo W, Liu A, Chen Y, Lim H, Marshall Neff J, Black J, et al. Inhibition of accelerated graft arteriosclerosis by gene transfer of soluble fibroblast growth factor receptor-1 in rat aortic transplants. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004;24:1081-6 pubmed..Targeted interruption of FGF function could potentially reduce neointima formation in patients with heart and kidney transplants. ..
- Sarpal D, Koenig J, Adelman J, Brady D, Prendeville L, Shepard P. Regional distribution of SK3 mRNA-containing neurons in the adult and adolescent rat ventral midbrain and their relationship to dopamine-containing cells. Synapse. 2004;53:104-13 pubmed
- Shirey K, Pletneva L, Puche A, Keegan A, Prince G, Blanco J, et al. Control of RSV-induced lung injury by alternatively activated macrophages is IL-4R alpha-, TLR4-, and IFN-beta-dependent. Mucosal Immunol. 2010;3:291-300 pubmed publisher..RSV-infected cotton rats treated with a cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor increased expression of lung AA-M phi. These data suggest new treatment strategies for RSV that promote AA-M phi differentiation. ..
- Zhang Y, Li A, Lao L, Xin J, Ren K, Berman B, et al. Rostral ventromedial medulla ?, but not ?, opioid receptors are involved in electroacupuncture anti-hyperalgesia in an inflammatory pain rat model. Brain Res. 2011;1395:38-45 pubmed publisher..This removes the tonic inhibition of GABA on serotonergic neurons in the RVM, and activation of these serotonergic neurons inhibits pain. EA may be used as complementary treatment for inflammatory pain. ..
- Mitchell N, Petralia R, Currier D, Wang Y, Kim A, Mattson M, et al. Sonic hedgehog regulates presynaptic terminal size, ultrastructure and function in hippocampal neurons. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4207-13 pubmed publisher..Thus, we conclude that Shh signaling regulates the structure and functional properties of presynaptic terminals of hippocampal neurons. ..
- Wong G, Zhu X, Prater C, Oh E, Evans J. Analysis of fertilin alpha (ADAM1)-mediated sperm-egg cell adhesion during fertilization and identification of an adhesion-mediating sequence in the disintegrin-like domain. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:24937-45 pubmed..8, inhibited the binding of recombinant fertilin alpha to eggs in one type of binding assay, suggesting that, under certain conditions, fertilin alpha may interact with a KMC.8-sensitive binding site on the egg plasma membrane. ..
- Kiyatkin E, Wise R. Brain and body hyperthermia associated with heroin self-administration in rats. J Neurosci. 2002;22:1072-80 pubmed
- Amateau S, McCarthy M. A novel mechanism of dendritic spine plasticity involving estradiol induction of prostaglandin-E2. J Neurosci. 2002;22:8586-96 pubmed..Regionally specific mechanisms of estradiol-mediated synaptic plasticity allow for epigenetic control of complex sex-typic behaviors. ..
- Wang W, Zhu W, Wang S, Yang D, Crow M, Xiao R, et al. Sustained beta1-adrenergic stimulation modulates cardiac contractility by Ca2+/calmodulin kinase signaling pathway. Circ Res. 2004;95:798-806 pubmed..This finding may bear important etiological and therapeutical ramifications in understanding beta1AR signaling in chronic heart failure. ..
- DiPilato L, Cheng X, Zhang J. Fluorescent indicators of cAMP and Epac activation reveal differential dynamics of cAMP signaling within discrete subcellular compartments. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:16513-8 pubmed..Thus, cAMP dynamics and the activation of its effectors are precisely controlled spatiotemporally in vivo. ..
- Guo X, Chen K, Guo Y, Liao H, Tang J, Xiao R. Mitofusin 2 triggers vascular smooth muscle cell apoptosis via mitochondrial death pathway. Circ Res. 2007;101:1113-22 pubmed..Thus, in addition to its antiproliferative effects, Mfn-2 constitutes a primary determinant of VSMC apoptosis. ..
- Stranahan A, Haberman R, Gallagher M. Cognitive decline is associated with reduced reelin expression in the entorhinal cortex of aged rats. Cereb Cortex. 2011;21:392-400 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest that reduced reelin expression, emanating from layer II entorhinal neurons, may contribute to network dysfunction that occurs during memory loss in aging. ..
- Cao C, EDWARDS A, Sendeski M, Lee Kwon W, Cui L, Cai C, et al. Intrinsic nitric oxide and superoxide production regulates descending vasa recta contraction. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010;299:F1056-64 pubmed publisher..Intrinsic NO production does not affect DVR permeability to hydrophilic solutes. ..
- McDowell K, Hadjimarkou M, Viechweg S, Rose A, Clark S, Yarowsky P, et al. Sleep alterations in an environmental neurotoxin-induced model of parkinsonism. Exp Neurol. 2010;226:84-9 pubmed publisher..Further characterization of this early, non-motor symptom, may provide potential therapeutic interventions in the treatment of PD. ..
- Russell J, Kishimoto K, O Driscoll C, Hossain M. Neuronal pentraxin 1 induction in hypoxic-ischemic neuronal death is regulated via a glycogen synthase kinase-3?/? dependent mechanism. Cell Signal. 2011;23:673-82 pubmed publisher..Our findings clearly implicate both GSK-3?- and GSK-3?-dependent mechanism of NP1 induction and point to a novel mechanism in the regulation of hypoxic-ischemic neuronal death. ..
- Beazley K, Deasey S, Lima F, Nurminskaya M. Transglutaminase 2-mediated activation of ?-catenin signaling has a critical role in warfarin-induced vascular calcification. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2012;32:123-30 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of canonical ?-catenin pathway or TG2 activity prevents warfarin-regulated calcification, identifying the TG2/?-catenin axis as a novel therapeutic target in vascular calcification. ..
- Stanley E, Lin C, Jin S, Liu J, Sottas C, Ge R, et al. Identification, proliferation, and differentiation of adult Leydig stem cells. Endocrinology. 2012;153:5002-10 pubmed..The development of the tubule culture system should provide a valuable in vitro approach to assess the role(s) of niche components on the function of adult Leydig stem cells despite their residing in a complex mammalian tissue. ..
- Marchant N, Khuc T, Pickens C, Bonci A, Shaham Y. Context-induced relapse to alcohol seeking after punishment in a rat model. Biol Psychiatry. 2013;73:256-62 pubmed publisher..We propose that our procedure can be used to explore mechanisms of context-induced relapse to alcohol seeking after alcohol-taking behavior is suppressed by adverse consequences. ..
- Toyama B, Savas J, Park S, Harris M, Ingolia N, Yates J, et al. Identification of long-lived proteins reveals exceptional stability of essential cellular structures. Cell. 2013;154:971-982 pubmed publisher..Our identification of a long-lived proteome reveals cellular components that are at increased risk for damage accumulation, linking long-term protein persistence to the cellular aging process. PAPERCLIP: ..
- Kaufmann W, Worley P, Pegg J, Bremer M, Isakson P. COX-2, a synaptically induced enzyme, is expressed by excitatory neurons at postsynaptic sites in rat cerebral cortex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:2317-21 pubmed..These results suggest that COX-2, and its diffusible prostanoid products, may play a role in postsynaptic signaling of excitatory neurons in cortex and associated structures. ..
- Dangi B, Sarma S, Yan C, Banville D, Guiles R. The origin of differences in the physical properties of the equilibrium forms of cytochrome b5 revealed through high-resolution NMR structures and backbone dynamic analyses. Biochemistry. 1998;37:8289-302 pubmed..P., Muskett, F. W., and Whitford, D. (1997) Eur. J. Biochem. 245, 349-354]. ..
- Wier W, Balke C, Michael J, Mauban J. A custom confocal and two-photon digital laser scanning microscope. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2000;278:H2150-6 pubmed..28 and 0.82 microm. The system is advantageous when excitation intensity must be limited, when fluorescence is low, or when thick, scattering specimens are being studied (with two-photon excitation)...
- Saiardi A, Nagata E, Luo H, Sawa A, Luo X, Snowman A, et al. Mammalian inositol polyphosphate multikinase synthesizes inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate and an inositol pyrophosphate. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:2306-11 pubmed..mIPMK also can form the pyrophosphate disphosphoinositol tetrakisphosphate (PP-InsP(4)) from InsP(5). Additionally, mIPMK forms InsP(4) from Ins(1,4,5)P(3) and InsP(5) from Ins(1,3,4,5)P(4). ..
- Traub R, Zhai Q, Ji Y, Kovalenko M. NMDA receptor antagonists attenuate noxious and nonnoxious colorectal distention-induced Fos expression in the spinal cord and the visceromotor reflex. Neuroscience. 2002;113:205-11 pubmed..They further underscore a difference from somatic tissue in the role of NMDA receptors in processing acute or transient visceral stimuli in the absence of tissue injury. ..
- Wu H, Zink N, Carter L, Mehta A, Hernandez R, Ticku M, et al. A tertiary alcohol analog of gamma-hydroxybutyric acid as a specific gamma-hydroxybutyric acid receptor ligand. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2003;305:675-9 pubmed
- Tsai Y, Fishman P, Thakor N, Oyler G. Parkin facilitates the elimination of expanded polyglutamine proteins and leads to preservation of proteasome function. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:22044-55 pubmed..Loss of parkin function and the resulting proteasomal impairment may contribute to the accumulation of toxic aberrant proteins in neurodegenerative diseases including Parkinson's disease. ..
- Frimberger D, Morales N, Shamblott M, Gearhart J, Gearhart J, Lakshmanan Y. Human embryoid body-derived stem cells in bladder regeneration using rodent model. Urology. 2005;65:827-32 pubmed..Longer term analysis of these bladder grafts will allow evaluation of function, cell migration, and differentiation processes of human stem cells. ..
- Hara M, Agrawal N, Kim S, Cascio M, Fujimuro M, Ozeki Y, et al. S-nitrosylated GAPDH initiates apoptotic cell death by nuclear translocation following Siah1 binding. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:665-74 pubmed..The NO-S-nitrosylation-GAPDH-Siah1 cascade may represent an important molecular mechanism of cytotoxicity. ..
- Liu Q, Lu L, Zhu X, Gong J, Shaham Y, Uhl G. Rodent BDNF genes, novel promoters, novel splice variants, and regulation by cocaine. Brain Res. 2006;1067:1-12 pubmed..These data suggest a role of specific BDNF promoter regions and regulatory sequences in stimulant-induced alterations in BDNF expression, and in the alterations that changed BDNF expression is likely to confer in the brain. ..
- Bear J, Byrnes A, Griffin D. Heparin-binding and patterns of virulence for two recombinant strains of Sindbis virus. Virology. 2006;347:183-90 pubmed..These studies show a genetic restriction of replication in newborn BALB/c mice, and that amino acid substitutions affecting binding to proteoglycans may differ in importance for CNS infection and viremia...
- Spector D, Yang Q, Wade J. High urea and creatinine concentrations and urea transporter B in mammalian urinary tract tissues. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2007;292:F467-74 pubmed
- Nagase H, Agren J, Saito A, Liu K, Agre P, Hazama A, et al. Molecular cloning and characterization of mouse aquaporin 6. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;352:12-6 pubmed..Functional analyses of water and ion permeation revealed that mAQP6a functions like rat AQP6 and that mAQP6b does not function as either a water channel or an ion channel under our experimental conditions. ..
- Farrag T, Lehar M, Verhaegen P, Carson K, Byrne P. Effect of platelet rich plasma and fibrin sealant on facial nerve regeneration in a rat model. Laryngoscope. 2007;117:157-65 pubmed..FS showed no benefit over conventional suturing in facial nerve regeneration. Our study provides the potential of a new clinical application for PRP in peripheral nerve regeneration. ..
- Veiga Moreira T, Gover T, Weinreich D. Electrophysiological properties and chemosensitivity of acutely dissociated trigeminal somata innervating the cornea. Neuroscience. 2007;148:766-74 pubmed..The availability of isolated identified cTGNs constitutes a tractable model system to investigate the biophysical and pharmacological properties of corneal sensory nerve terminals. ..
- Pasterkamp R, Kolk S, Hellemons A, Kolodkin A. Expression patterns of semaphorin7A and plexinC1 during rat neural development suggest roles in axon guidance and neuronal migration. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:98 pubmed..The prominent expression of plexinC1 in several distinct populations of migrating neurons suggests a novel role for this plexin family member in neuronal migration. ..
- Chen L, Zhang J, Gan T, Chen Izu Y, Hasday J, Karmazyn M, et al. Left ventricular dysfunction and associated cellular injury in rats exposed to chronic intermittent hypoxia. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2008;104:218-23 pubmed..In conclusion, CIH-mediated LV global dysfunction is associated with myocyte hypertrophy and apoptosis at the cellular level. ..
- Wei F, Guo W, Zou S, Ren K, Dubner R. Supraspinal glial-neuronal interactions contribute to descending pain facilitation. J Neurosci. 2008;28:10482-95 pubmed publisher..These studies have addressed a novel contribution of supraspinal astrocytes and associated cytokines as well as central glial-neuronal interactions to the enhancement of descending facilitation of neuropathic pain. ..
- Zolkowska D, Jain R, Rothman R, Partilla J, Roth B, Setola V, et al. Evidence for the involvement of dopamine transporters in behavioral stimulant effects of modafinil. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2009;329:738-46 pubmed publisher..Nondopaminergic mechanisms may also contribute to the pharmacology of modafinil. Finally, the results suggest that modafinil should be tested as an adjunct for treating METH addiction. ..
- Walczak P, All A, Rumpal N, Gorelik M, Kim H, Maybhate A, et al. Human glial-restricted progenitors survive, proliferate, and preserve electrophysiological function in rats with focal inflammatory spinal cord demyelination. Glia. 2011;59:499-510 pubmed publisher..The latter benefit is likely dependent on trophic support and suggests further exploration of potential of glial progenitors in animal models of chronic inflammatory demyelination. ..
- Chou J, Greig N, Reiner D, Hoffer B, Wang Y. Enhanced survival of dopaminergic neuronal transplants in hemiparkinsonian rats by the p53 inactivator PFT-Î±. Cell Transplant. 2011;20:1351-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data indicate that early postgrafting treatment with PFT-Î± enhances the survival of dopamine cell transplants and augments behavioral recovery in parkinsonian animals. ..
- Lee C, Perez F, Wang W, Guan X, Zhao X, Fisher J, et al. Dynamic temporal and spatial regulation of mu opioid receptor expression in primary afferent neurons following spinal nerve injury. Eur J Pain. 2011;15:669-75 pubmed publisher..These temporal and anatomically specific changes in mOR expression following nerve injury are likely to have functional consequences on pain-associated behaviors and opioid analgesia. ..
- Li M, Zhang Z, Sun W, Koehler R, Huang J. 17?-estradiol attenuates breakdown of blood-brain barrier and hemorrhagic transformation induced by tissue plasminogen activator in cerebral ischemia. Neurobiol Dis. 2011;44:277-83 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a potential role for estrogen in thrombolytic treatment for ischemic stroke. ..
- O Donnell J, Sumbilla C, Ma H, Farrance I, Cavagna M, Klein M, et al. Tight control of exogenous SERCA expression is required to obtain acceleration of calcium transients with minimal cytotoxic effects in cardiac myocytes. Circ Res. 2001;88:415-21 pubmed..Expression of endogenous SERCA was unchanged, but expression of exogenous SERCA was higher in myocytes rendered hypertrophic by treatment with PHE than in nontreated controls. ..
- Terayama R, Dubner R, Ren K. The roles of NMDA receptor activation and nucleus reticularis gigantocellularis in the time-dependent changes in descending inhibition after inflammation. Pain. 2002;97:171-81 pubmed..At early time points, NMDA receptor and NGC activation enhance descending facilitation; as time progresses, the dose-response curve of NMDA shifts to the left and descending inhibition dominates and masks any descending facilitation. ..
- Ward C, Reiken S, Marks A, Marty I, Vassort G, Lacampagne A. Defects in ryanodine receptor calcium release in skeletal muscle from post-myocardial infarct rats. FASEB J. 2003;17:1517-9 pubmed..The observed changes in Ca2+ signaling may contribute to defective excitation-contraction coupling in muscle that can contribute to the reduced exercise capacity in PMI, out of proportion to the degree of cardiac dysfunction. ..
- Yao P, Zhang P, Mattson M, Furukawa K. Heterogeneity of endocytic proteins: distribution of clathrin adaptor proteins in neurons and glia. Neuroscience. 2003;121:25-37 pubmed..The findings also provide information on the distribution of AP2, CALM, and epsin 1 in cells of the nervous system that suggest different roles for these endocytic proteins in the biology of these cells. ..
- Warwick Z, Synowski S, Rice K, Smart A. Independent effects of diet palatability and fat content on bout size and daily intake in rats. Physiol Behav. 2003;80:253-8 pubmed
- Farkas R, Qian J, Goldberg J, Quigley H, Zack D. Gene expression profiling of purified rat retinal ganglion cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2004;45:2503-13 pubmed..The profiling, in addition to revealing both known and novel genes underlying the RGC phenotype, also uncovered common patterns of gene expression between RGCs and other sensory ganglia. ..
- Chen Y, Wang P, Ghosh A. Regulation of cortical dendrite development by Rap1 signaling. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2005;28:215-28 pubmed..These observations identify Rap1 as a key mediator of calcium regulation of CREB-dependent transcription and dendritic development. ..
- Yang X, Lin M, Yip K, Jeyakumar L, Fleischer S, Leung G, et al. Multiple ryanodine receptor subtypes and heterogeneous ryanodine receptor-gated Ca2+ stores in pulmonary arterial smooth muscle cells. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2005;289:L338-48 pubmed
- Ursitti J, Petrich B, Lee P, Resneck W, Ye X, Yang J, et al. Role of an alternatively spliced form of alphaII-spectrin in localization of connexin 43 in cardiomyocytes and regulation by stress-activated protein kinase. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2007;42:572-81 pubmed
- Walczak P, Zhang J, Gilad A, Kedziorek D, Ruiz Cabello J, Young R, et al. Dual-modality monitoring of targeted intraarterial delivery of mesenchymal stem cells after transient ischemia. Stroke. 2008;39:1569-74 pubmed publisher..Noninvasive dual-modality imaging enables monitoring of targeted cell delivery, and through interactive adjustment may improve the safety and efficacy of stem cell therapy. ..
- Gabrielson K, Mok G, Nimmagadda S, Bedja D, Pin S, Tsao A, et al. Detection of dose response in chronic doxorubicin-mediated cell death with cardiac technetium 99m annexin V single-photon emission computed tomography. Mol Imaging. 2008;7:132-8 pubmed..99mTc-HYNIC-annexin V SPECT-based molecular imaging may provide an attractive new technique for assessing early changes in myocardial function in patients undergoing DOX therapy. ..
- Dailey M, Tamashiro K, Terrillion C, Moran T. Nutrient specific feeding and endocrine effects of jejunal infusions. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2010;18:904-10 pubmed publisher..Thus, particular nutrients are more effective at producing decreases in food intake, body weight, and inducing changes in peptide levels and could lead to a novel therapy for obesity. ..
- Araki Y, Lin D, Huganir R. Plasma membrane insertion of the AMPA receptor GluA2 subunit is regulated by NSF binding and Q/R editing of the ion pore. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:11080-5 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the plasma membrane delivery of GluA2 containing AMPA receptors is regulated by its unique structural elements. ..
- Banerjee P, Ali Z, Fowler D. Rat bite fever, a fatal case of Streptobacillus moniliformis infection in a 14-month-old boy. J Forensic Sci. 2011;56:531-3 pubmed publisher..moniliformis. This case highlighted key features, such as the morbiliform rash, but lacked lymphadenopathy or joint manifestations. It is important to consider rat or rodent exposure as a source of infection...
- Jandu S, Webb A, Pak A, Sevinc B, Nyhan D, Belkin A, et al. Nitric oxide regulates tissue transglutaminase localization and function in the vasculature. Amino Acids. 2013;44:261-9 pubmed publisher..NO regulates intracellular versus extracellular TG2 localization in vascular cells and tissue, likely via S-nitrosation. This in part, explains increased TG2 externalization and activity in aging aorta. ..
- Lee J, Saloman J, Weiland G, Auh Q, Chung M, Ro J. Functional interactions between NMDA receptors and TRPV1 in trigeminal sensory neurons mediate mechanical hyperalgesia in the rat masseter muscle. Pain. 2012;153:1514-24 pubmed publisher..These data offer novel mechanisms by which 2 ligand-gated channels in sensory neurons interact and reinforce the notion that TRPV1 functions as a signal integrator under pathological conditions...
- Tovar Y Romo L, Bumpus N, Pomerantz D, Avery L, Sacktor N, McArthur J, et al. Dendritic spine injury induced by the 8-hydroxy metabolite of efavirenz. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2012;343:696-703 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that the 8-OH metabolite of EFV is a potent neurotoxin and highlight the importance of directly determining the effects of antiretroviral drugs and drug metabolites on neurons and other brain cells. ..
- Kortelainen J, Al Nashash H, Vipin A, Thow X, All A. The effect of anaesthesia on somatosensory evoked potential measurement in a rat model. Lab Anim. 2016;50:63-6 pubmed publisher..Our findings can help in refining the anaesthetic protocols related to SEP recordings in a rat model and, by improving the quality of the measurements, potentially reducing the number of subjects needed to carry out studies. ..
- Danoff S, Ferris C, Donath C, Fischer G, Munemitsu S, Ullrich A, et al. Inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptors: distinct neuronal and nonneuronal forms derived by alternative splicing differ in phosphorylation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:2951-5 pubmed..The phosphorylation kinetics by cAMP-dependent protein kinase and the phosphopeptide maps differ for inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptors purified from tissues predominantly expressing different forms of the transcript. ..
- Fasano A, Uzzau S. Modulation of intestinal tight junctions by Zonula occludens toxin permits enteral administration of insulin and other macromolecules in an animal model. J Clin Invest. 1997;99:1158-64 pubmed..These studies offer an innovative strategy for the oral delivery of drugs and proteins normally not absorbed through the intestine. ..
- Hauser P, McMillin J, Bhatara V. Resistance to thyroid hormone: implications for neurodevelopmental research on the effects of thyroid hormone disruptors. Toxicol Ind Health. 1998;14:85-101 pubmed..Such studies may provide new insights into the basic pathogenesis of developmental neurotoxicity following exposure to thyroid-disrupting synthetic compounds...
- Yasui M, Kwon T, Knepper M, Nielsen S, Agre P. Aquaporin-6: An intracellular vesicle water channel protein in renal epithelia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:5808-13 pubmed..Moreover, our studies predict that AQP6 participates in distinct physiological functions such as glomerular filtration, tubular endocytosis, and acid-base metabolism. ..
- Tang X, Neckel N, Schramm L. Spinal interneurons infected by renal injection of pseudorabies virus in the rat. Brain Res. 2004;1004:1-7 pubmed..The morphological heterogeneity of IN probably manifests the variety of systems that affect spinal sympathetic regulation. ..
- Rabin B, Joseph J, Shukitt Hale B. Effects of age and diet on the heavy particle-induced disruption of operant responding produced by a ground-based model for exposure to cosmic rays. Brain Res. 2005;1036:122-9 pubmed..The results indicate that diets containing strawberry extract may provide a significant level of radiation protection on exploratory class missions. ..
- Stone M, O Neill A, Catino D, Bloch R. Specific interaction of the actin-binding domain of dystrophin with intermediate filaments containing keratin 19. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:4280-93 pubmed..Our results show that dystrophin interacts through its ABD with K19 specifically and are consistent with the idea that cytokeratins associate with dystrophin at the sarcolemma of striated muscle. ..
- Ro J, Capra N. Assessing mechanical sensitivity of masseter muscle in lightly anesthetized rats: a model for craniofacial muscle hyperalgesia. Neurosci Res. 2006;56:119-23 pubmed..The technique can be applied to study mechanistic bases for craniofacial muscle tenderness...
- Umesh A, Thompson M, Chini E, Yip K, Sham J. Integrin ligands mobilize Ca2+ from ryanodine receptor-gated stores and lysosome-related acidic organelles in pulmonary arterial smooth muscle cells. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:34312-23 pubmed..The presence of an array of integrins, and activation of ryanodine-sensitive Ca2+ stores and lysosome-like organelles by GRGDSP suggest important roles for integrin-dependent Ca2+ signaling in regulating PASMC function. ..
- Lo F, Erzurumlu R. Conversion of functional synapses into silent synapses in the trigeminal brainstem after neonatal peripheral nerve transection. J Neurosci. 2007;27:4929-34 pubmed..Sensory deprivation most likely results in AMPA receptor endocytosis and/or lateral diffusion to the extrasynaptic membrane. ..
- Fu Z, Wang M, Gucek M, Zhang J, Wu J, Jiang L, et al. Milk fat globule protein epidermal growth factor-8: a pivotal relay element within the angiotensin II and monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 signaling cascade mediating vascular smooth muscle cells invasion. Circ Res. 2009;104:1337-46 pubmed publisher..Thus, targeting of MFG-E8 within this signaling axis pathway is a potential novel therapy for the prevention and treatment of the age-associated vascular diseases such as atherosclerosis. ..
- Tadross M, Ben Johny M, Yue D. Molecular endpoints of Ca2+/calmodulin- and voltage-dependent inactivation of Ca(v)1.3 channels. J Gen Physiol. 2010;135:197-215 pubmed publisher..3 channels that is specialized to repel lid closure. These findings reveal long-sought downstream mechanisms of inactivation and may furnish a framework for the understanding of Ca(2+) channelopathies involving S6 mutations. ..
- Kerr C, Letzen B, Hill C, Agrawal G, Thakor N, Sterneckert J, et al. Efficient differentiation of human embryonic stem cells into oligodendrocyte progenitors for application in a rat contusion model of spinal cord injury. Int J Neurosci. 2010;120:305-13 pubmed publisher..The extent of injury and effect of early cell transplant was measured using behavioral and electrophysiological assessments which demonstrated increased neurological responses in rats transplanted with OPCs compared to controls. ..
- Wu F, Mattson M, Yao P. Neuronal activity and the expression of clathrin-assembly protein AP180. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;402:297-300 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that AP180 levels and synaptic distribution are highly sensitive to neuronal activity. ..
- Dailey M, Stingl K, Moran T. Disassociation between preprandial gut peptide release and food-anticipatory activity. Endocrinology. 2012;153:132-42 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that separate mechanisms may underlie the preprandial increases in ghrelin and GLP-1 and changes in FAA, insulin, and glucose. ..
- Jhou T, Xu S, Lee M, Gallen C, Ikemoto S. Mapping of reinforcing and analgesic effects of the mu opioid agonist endomorphin-1 in the ventral midbrain of the rat. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2012;224:303-12 pubmed publisher..These results implicate a novel brain region in modulating MOR influences on both appetitive and aversive behavior. ..
- Liu L, Wang G, Hendricks K, Lee K, Bohnlein E, Junker U, et al. Comparison of drug and cell-based delivery: engineered adult mesenchymal stem cells expressing soluble tumor necrosis factor receptor II prevent arthritis in mouse and rat animal models. Stem Cells Transl Med. 2013;2:362-75 pubmed publisher..The data support the utility of hMSCs as therapeutic gene delivery vehicles and their potential to be used in alleviating inflammation within the arthritic joint. ..