Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on protein transport in Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Locale: Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Topic: protein transport
Publications238 found, 100 shown here
- Lippincott Schwartz J, Phair R. Lipids and cholesterol as regulators of traffic in the endomembrane system. Annu Rev Biophys. 2010;39:559-78 pubmed publisher..We further discuss how computational modeling can allow for interpretation of experimental findings and provide mechanistic insight into these important cellular pathways. ..
- Hsieh K, Lee Y, Londos C, Raaka B, Dalen K, Kimmel A. Perilipin family members preferentially sequester to either triacylglycerol-specific or cholesteryl-ester-specific intracellular lipid storage droplets. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4067-76 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest diversity of Plin function, alter previous assumptions about shared collective actions of the Plins, and indicate that each Plin can have separate and unique functions. ..
- Nielsen K, Szamecz B, VALASEK L, Jivotovskaya A, Shin B, Hinnebusch A. Functions of eIF3 downstream of 48S assembly impact AUG recognition and GCN4 translational control. EMBO J. 2004;23:1166-77 pubmed..Other mutations that disrupt eIF2-eIF3 contacts in the multifactor complex (MFC) diminished 40S-bound TC, indicating that MFC formation enhances 43S assembly in vivo. ..
- Smith J, Freebern W, Collins I, De Siervi A, Montano I, Haggerty C, et al. Kinetic profiles of p300 occupancy in vivo predict common features of promoter structure and coactivator recruitment. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:11554-9 pubmed..This "reverse genomic" approach will have broad application for the genome-wide classification of promoter structure and function. ..
- Wang W, Budhu A, Forgues M, Wang X. Temporal and spatial control of nucleophosmin by the Ran-Crm1 complex in centrosome duplication. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:823-30 pubmed..Our results are consistent with the hypothesis that the Ran-Crm1 complex may promote a local enrichment of NPM on centrosomes, thereby preventing centrosome reduplication. ..
- Liu X, Ohno S, Miki T. Nucleotide exchange factor ECT2 regulates epithelial cell polarity. Cell Signal. 2006;18:1604-15 pubmed..Thus, ECT2 appears to play a critical role in epithelial cell polarity. ..
- Kesavapany S, Patel V, Zheng Y, Pareek T, Bjelogrlic M, Albers W, et al. Inhibition of Pin1 reduces glutamate-induced perikaryal accumulation of phosphorylated neurofilament-H in neurons. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:3645-55 pubmed
- Rismanchi N, Puertollano R, Blackstone C. STAM adaptor proteins interact with COPII complexes and function in ER-to-Golgi trafficking. Traffic. 2009;10:201-17 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to their roles in signaling and endocytosis, STAMs function prominently in ER-to-Golgi trafficking, most likely through direct interactions with the COPII complex. ..
- Kryndushkin D, Wickner R, Shewmaker F. FUS/TLS forms cytoplasmic aggregates, inhibits cell growth and interacts with TDP-43 in a yeast model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Protein Cell. 2011;2:223-36 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the biophysical properties of FUS aggregates in yeast are distinctly different from many amyloidogenic proteins, suggesting they are not composed of amyloid. ..
- Merritt R, Manor U, Salles F, Grati M, Dose A, Unrath W, et al. Myosin IIIB uses an actin-binding motif in its espin-1 cargo to reach the tips of actin protrusions. Curr Biol. 2012;22:320-5 pubmed publisher..This study also provides a framework to better understand the late-onset hearing loss phenotype in patients with MYO3A mutations. ..
- Park J, Ikeda H, Ikenaga T, Ono F. Acetylcholine receptors enable the transport of rapsyn from the Golgi complex to the plasma membrane. J Neurosci. 2012;32:7356-63 pubmed publisher..We conclude that AChRs enable the transport of rapsyn from the Golgi complex to the plasma membrane through a molecule-specific interaction. ..
- Chung H, Cho H, Perry C, Song J, Ylaya K, Lee H, et al. Downregulation of ERp57 expression is associated with poor prognosis in early-stage cervical cancer. Biomarkers. 2013;18:573-9 pubmed publisher..19, p?=?0.018). Low ERp57 expression independently predicts a poor outcome for patients with cervical cancer, supporting the notion that ERp57 may be a promising novel cancer target. ..
- Zhuang J, Wang P, Huang X, Chen X, Kang J, Hwang P. Mitochondrial disulfide relay mediates translocation of p53 and partitions its subcellular activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:17356-61 pubmed publisher..Thus, the mitochondrial disulfide relay system allows p53 to regulate two spatially segregated genomes depending on oxidative metabolic activity. ..
- Lomash R, Sheng N, Li Y, Nicoll R, Roche K. Phosphorylation of the kainate receptor (KAR) auxiliary subunit Neto2 at serine 409 regulates synaptic targeting of the KAR subunit GluK1. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:15369-15377 pubmed publisher..These results support a molecular mechanism by which Neto2 phosphorylation at Ser-409 helps restrict GluK1 targeting to the synapse. ..
- Boehm M, Yoshimoto T, Crook M, Nallamshetty S, True A, Nabel G, et al. A growth factor-dependent nuclear kinase phosphorylates p27(Kip1) and regulates cell cycle progression. EMBO J. 2002;21:3390-401 pubmed..Through phosphorylation of p27(Kip1) on S10, hKIS regulates cell cycle progression in response to mitogens. ..
- Costin G, Valencia J, Vieira W, Lamoreux M, Hearing V. Tyrosinase processing and intracellular trafficking is disrupted in mouse primary melanocytes carrying the underwhite (uw) mutation. A model for oculocutaneous albinism (OCA) type 4. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:3203-12 pubmed..This mechanism explains the hypopigmentary phenotype of these cells and provides new insights into the involvement of transporters in the normal physiology of melanocytes. ..
- Snapp E, Reinhart G, Bogert B, Lippincott Schwartz J, Hegde R. The organization of engaged and quiescent translocons in the endoplasmic reticulum of mammalian cells. J Cell Biol. 2004;164:997-1007 pubmed
- Porter Kelley J, Gerald N, Engel J, Ghedin E, Dwyer D. LdARF1 in trafficking and structural maintenance of the trans-Golgi cisternal network in the protozoan pathogen Leishmania donovani. Traffic. 2004;5:868-83 pubmed..These results show that Ld ARF1 is transiently associated with the Golgi network and plays a role in the structural maintenance of this organelle in these important human pathogens. ..
- Comer F, Parent C. Phosphoinositide 3-kinase activity controls the chemoattractant-mediated activation and adaptation of adenylyl cyclase. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:357-66 pubmed..Thus, PI3K activity is poised to regulate both ACA activation and adaptation, thereby providing a link to ensure the proper balance of counteracting signals required to maintain optimal chemoresponsiveness. ..
- Ashok A, Hegde R. Retrotranslocation of prion proteins from the endoplasmic reticulum by preventing GPI signal transamidation. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:3463-76 pubmed publisher..As each GPI signal sequence is unique, these results also identify signal recognition by the GPI-transamidase as a potential step for selective small molecule perturbation of PrP expression. ..
- Gallazzini M, Yu M, Gunaratne R, Burg M, Ferraris J. c-Abl mediates high NaCl-induced phosphorylation and activation of the transcription factor TonEBP/OREBP. FASEB J. 2010;24:4325-35 pubmed publisher..Thus, c-Abl is the kinase responsible for high NaCl-induced phosphorylation of TonEBP/OREBP-Y143, which contributes to its increased activity...
- Edlich F, Banerjee S, Suzuki M, Cleland M, Arnoult D, Wang C, et al. Bcl-x(L) retrotranslocates Bax from the mitochondria into the cytosol. Cell. 2011;145:104-16 pubmed publisher..We propose that Bcl-x(L) inhibits and maintains Bax in the cytosol by constant retrotranslocation of mitochondrial Bax. ..
- Jovic M, Kean M, Szentpetery Z, Polevoy G, Gingras A, Brill J, et al. Two phosphatidylinositol 4-kinases control lysosomal delivery of the Gaucher disease enzyme, ?-glucocerebrosidase. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:1533-45 pubmed publisher..These studies identified PI4KIII? and PI4KII? as important regulators of lysosomal delivery of GBA, revealing a new element of control to sphingolipid homeostasis by phosphoinositides...
- Daley W, Matsumoto K, Doyle A, Wang S, DuChez B, Holmbeck K, et al. Btbd7 is essential for region-specific epithelial cell dynamics and branching morphogenesis in vivo. Development. 2017;144:2200-2211 pubmed publisher..These studies show how a specific regulatory molecule, Btbd7, can function at a local region of developing organs to regulate dynamics of cell adhesion and motility during epithelial branching morphogenesis. ..
- Philpott C, Ryu M, Frey A, Patel S. Cytosolic iron chaperones: Proteins delivering iron cofactors in the cytosol of mammalian cells. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:12764-12771 pubmed publisher..The monothiol glutaredoxin Glrx3 and BolA2 function as a [2Fe-2S] chaperone complex. These proteins form a core system of cytosolic iron cofactor chaperones in mammalian cells. ..
- Kimchi Sarfaty C, Kasir J, Ambudkar S, Rahamimoff H. Transport activity and surface expression of the Na+-Ca2+ exchanger NCX1 are inhibited by the immunosuppressive agent cyclosporin A and by the nonimmunosuppressive agent PSC833. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:2505-10 pubmed..and Rahamimoff, H. (1999) J. Biol. Chem. 274, 24873-24880) and did not induce its kinesis to the surface membrane, further demonstrating molecular differences between P-glycoprotein and NCX1 mutants for interaction with CsA. ..
- Polishchuk R, Di Pentima A, Lippincott Schwartz J. Delivery of raft-associated, GPI-anchored proteins to the apical surface of polarized MDCK cells by a transcytotic pathway. Nat Cell Biol. 2004;6:297-307 pubmed..Thus, apical sorting of these GPI-anchored proteins occurs at the plasma membrane, rather than at the TGN...
- Misteli T. Going in GTP cycles in the nucleolus. J Cell Biol. 2005;168:177-8 pubmed..The uncovered mechanism also implies that localization is determined by increased retention rather than directed targeting...
- Ambudkar S, Sauna Z, Gottesman M, Szakacs G. A novel way to spread drug resistance in tumor cells: functional intercellular transfer of P-glycoprotein (ABCB1). Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2005;26:385-7 pubmed..Non-genetic transfer of the multidrug resistance phenotype raises fascinating questions about the mechanism and regulation of cell-surface membrane-protein-mediated spread of traits...
- Valencia J, Watabe H, Chi A, Rouzaud F, Chen K, Vieira W, et al. Sorting of Pmel17 to melanosomes through the plasma membrane by AP1 and AP2: evidence for the polarized nature of melanocytes. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:1080-91 pubmed..These results show that Pmel17 is sorted to melanosomes by various intracellular routes, directly or indirectly through the plasma membrane, and the presence of basolateral elements in melanocytes suggests their polarized nature. ..
- Prag G, Watson H, Kim Y, Beach B, Ghirlando R, Hummer G, et al. The Vps27/Hse1 complex is a GAT domain-based scaffold for ubiquitin-dependent sorting. Dev Cell. 2007;12:973-86 pubmed..Coarse-grained Monte Carlo simulations of the Vps27/Hse1 complex on a membrane show how the complex binds cooperatively to lipids and ubiquitinated membrane proteins and acts as a scaffold for ubiquitination reactions. ..
- Narendra D, Tanaka A, Suen D, Youle R. Parkin-induced mitophagy in the pathogenesis of Parkinson disease. Autophagy. 2009;5:706-8 pubmed..These findings suggest that Parkin promotes mitophagy of dysfunctional mitochondria following loss of mitochondrial membrane potential and implicates the targeted elimination of mitochondria in the pathogenesis of Parkinson disease. ..
- Ding X, Patel M, Shen D, Herzlich A, Cao X, Villasmil R, et al. Enhanced HtrA2/Omi expression in oxidative injury to retinal pigment epithelial cells and murine models of neurodegeneration. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:4957-66 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that HtrA2/Omi is related to RPE apoptosis due to oxidative stress, which may play an important role in the integrity of mitochondria and the pathogenesis of AMD. ..
- Arun P, Brown M, Ehsanian R, Chen Z, Van Waes C. Nuclear NF-kappaB p65 phosphorylation at serine 276 by protein kinase A contributes to the malignant phenotype of head and neck cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:5974-84 pubmed publisher..NF-kappaB p65 (Ser276) phosphorylation by PKA promotes the malignant phenotype and holds potential as a therapeutic target in HNSCC. ..
- Zheng Y, Li B, Rudrabhatla P, Shukla V, Amin N, Maric D, et al. Phosphorylation of p27Kip1 at Thr187 by cyclin-dependent kinase 5 modulates neural stem cell differentiation. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:3601-14 pubmed publisher..Cdk5 phosphorylation of p27(Kip1), a modular molecule, may regulate the progress of neuronal differentiation from cell cycle arrest through differentiation, neurite outgrowth, and migration. ..
- Gao B, Song H, Bishop K, Elliot G, Garrett L, English M, et al. Wnt signaling gradients establish planar cell polarity by inducing Vangl2 phosphorylation through Ror2. Dev Cell. 2011;20:163-76 pubmed publisher..Our studies have provided new insight to Robinow syndrome, Brachydactyly Type B1, and spinal bifida which are caused by mutations in human ROR2, WNT5A, or VANGL. ..
- Choi K, Chung S, Roche K. Differential binding of calmodulin to group I metabotropic glutamate receptors regulates receptor trafficking and signaling. J Neurosci. 2011;31:5921-30 pubmed publisher..Our findings elucidate a critical mechanism that specifically affects mGluR5 trafficking and signaling, and distinguishes mGluR1 and mGluR5 regulation. ..
- Shao S, Hegde R. Membrane protein insertion at the endoplasmic reticulum. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2011;27:25-56 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the conceptual and mechanistic themes underlying these core membrane protein insertion pathways, the complexities that challenge our understanding, and future directions to overcome these obstacles. ..
- Thievessen I, Thompson P, Berlemont S, Plevock K, Plotnikov S, Zemljic Harpf A, et al. Vinculin-actin interaction couples actin retrograde flow to focal adhesions, but is dispensable for focal adhesion growth. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:163-77 pubmed publisher..Thus, vinculin functions as a molecular clutch, organizing leading edge F-actin, generating ECM traction, and promoting FA formation and turnover, but vinculin is dispensible for FA growth...
- Shiba Y, Kametaka S, Waguri S, Presley J, Randazzo P. ArfGAP3 regulates the transport of cation-independent mannose 6-phosphate receptor in the post-Golgi compartment. Curr Biol. 2013;23:1945-51 pubmed publisher..A possible mechanism explaining our results is that ArfGAP3 regulates transport from early endosomes to late endosomes. We suggest a model in which ArfGAP3 regulates Golgi association of GGA clathrin adaptors. ..
- Wilson M, Bernstein H. Surface-Exposed Lipoproteins: An Emerging Secretion Phenomenon in Gram-Negative Bacteria. Trends Microbiol. 2016;24:198-208 pubmed publisher..In this review we describe the evidence that the surface exposure of lipoproteins in Gram-negative bacteria is a widespread phenomenon and discuss possible mechanisms by which these proteins might be transported across the OM. ..
- Arnaoutov A, Azuma Y, Ribbeck K, Joseph J, Boyarchuk Y, Karpova T, et al. Crm1 is a mitotic effector of Ran-GTP in somatic cells. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:626-32 pubmed..Thus, Crm1 is a critical Ran-GTP effector for mitotic spindle assembly and function in somatic cells. ..
- Pelkey K, Yuan X, Lavezzari G, Roche K, McBain C. mGluR7 undergoes rapid internalization in response to activation by the allosteric agonist AMN082. Neuropharmacology. 2007;52:108-17 pubmed..Thus, AMN082 will be effective for investigating physiological processes related to both mGluR7 activation and internalization such as control of bidirectional plasticity at mossy fiber-st. lucidum interneuron synapses. ..
- Moon H, Even Ram S, Kleinman H, Cha H. Zyxin is upregulated in the nucleus by thymosin beta4 in SiHa cells. Exp Cell Res. 2006;312:3425-31 pubmed..Both zyxin and thymosin beta4 show increased localization in the nucleus. We conclude that thymosin beta4 may exert some of its migration promoting activity via increased zyxin expression. ..
- Bunnell S, Singer A, Hong D, Jacque B, Jordan M, Seminario M, et al. Persistence of cooperatively stabilized signaling clusters drives T-cell activation. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:7155-66 pubmed..These data indicate that multivalent cooperative interactions stabilize these persistent signaling clusters, which may correspond to the functional complexes predicted by kinetic proofreading models of T-cell activation. ..
- He Y, Simons S. STAMP, a novel predicted factor assisting TIF2 actions in glucocorticoid receptor-mediated induction and repression. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:1467-85 pubmed..We suggest that STAMP is an important new, downstream component of GR action in both gene activation and gene repression. ..
- Mardones G, Burgos P, Brooks D, Parkinson Lawrence E, Mattera R, Bonifacino J. The trans-Golgi network accessory protein p56 promotes long-range movement of GGA/clathrin-containing transport carriers and lysosomal enzyme sorting. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:3486-501 pubmed..We conclude that p56 tightly cooperates with the GGAs in the sorting of cathepsin D to lysosomes, probably by enabling the movement of GGA-containing TCs. ..
- Snapp E, Altan N, Lippincott Schwartz J. Measuring protein mobility by photobleaching GFP chimeras in living cells. Curr Protoc Cell Biol. 2003;Chapter 21:Unit 21.1 pubmed publisher..Together these two techniques are providing fundamentally new insights into the kinetic properties of proteins in cells. ..
- Rismanchi N, Soderblom C, Stadler J, Zhu P, Blackstone C. Atlastin GTPases are required for Golgi apparatus and ER morphogenesis. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:1591-604 pubmed publisher..Abnormal morphogenesis of the ER and Golgi resulting from mutations in atlastin-1 may ultimately underlie SPG3A by interfering with proper membrane distribution or polarity of the long corticospinal motor neurons. ..
- Clore G. Exploring translocation of proteins on DNA by NMR. J Biomol NMR. 2011;51:209-19 pubmed publisher..These studies led to the first direct demonstration of rotation-coupled sliding of a protein along the DNA and the direct transfer of a protein from one DNA molecule to another without dissociating into free solution. ..
- Seabold G, Wang P, Petralia R, Chang K, Zhou A, McDermott M, et al. Dileucine and PDZ-binding motifs mediate synaptic adhesion-like molecule 1 (SALM1) trafficking in hippocampal neurons. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:4470-84 pubmed publisher..Thus, enrichment of SALM1 on the cell surface affects dendritic arborization, and intracellular motifs regulate its dendritic versus axonal localization. ..
- Ma X, Kovacs M, Conti M, Wang A, Zhang Y, Sellers J, et al. Nonmuscle myosin II exerts tension but does not translocate actin in vertebrate cytokinesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:4509-14 pubmed publisher..We propose that the major roles of NM II in vertebrate cell cytokinesis are to bind and cross-link actin filaments and to exert tension on actin during contractile ring constriction. ..
- Yavlovich A, Viard M, Zhou M, Veenstra T, Wang J, Gong W, et al. Ectopic ATP synthase facilitates transfer of HIV-1 from antigen-presenting cells to CD4(+) target cells. Blood. 2012;120:1246-53 pubmed publisher..We conclude that ectopic ATP synthase could be an accessible molecular target for inhibiting HIV-1 proliferation in vivo. ..
- Sanz Clemente A, Gray J, Ogilvie K, Nicoll R, Roche K. Activated CaMKII couples GluN2B and casein kinase 2 to control synaptic NMDA receptors. Cell Rep. 2013;3:607-14 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the GluN2B/CaMKII association controls synapse density and PSD composition in an activity-dependent manner, including recruitment of CK2 for the removal of GluN2B from synapses. ..
- Gamage D, Leikina E, Quinn M, Ratinov A, Chernomordik L, Millay D. Insights into the localization and function of myomaker during myoblast fusion. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:17272-17289 pubmed publisher..These data reveal that myoblast fusion requires myomaker activity at the plasma membrane and is potentially regulated by proper myomaker trafficking. ..
- Patterson G, Lippincott Schwartz J. A photoactivatable GFP for selective photolabeling of proteins and cells. Science. 2002;297:1873-7 pubmed..Here, we use the photoactivatable GFP both as a free protein to measure protein diffusion across the nuclear envelope and as a chimera with a lysosomal membrane protein to demonstrate rapid interlysosomal membrane exchange. ..
- Dhanvantari S, Shen F, Adams T, Snell C, Zhang C, Mackin R, et al. Disruption of a receptor-mediated mechanism for intracellular sorting of proinsulin in familial hyperproinsulinemia. Mol Endocrinol. 2003;17:1856-67 pubmed
- Hayes D, Braud S, Hurtado D, McCallum J, Standley S, Isaac J, et al. Trafficking and surface expression of the glutamate receptor subunit, KA2. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;310:8-13 pubmed
- Rojas R, Kametaka S, Haft C, Bonifacino J. Interchangeable but essential functions of SNX1 and SNX2 in the association of retromer with endosomes and the trafficking of mannose 6-phosphate receptors. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:1112-24 pubmed
- Citterio C, Vichi A, Pacheco Rodriguez G, Aponte A, Moss J, Vaughan M. Unfolded protein response and cell death after depletion of brefeldin A-inhibited guanine nucleotide-exchange protein GBF1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:2877-82 pubmed publisher..Depletion of GBF1, but not BIG1 or BIG2, induced relocation of S2P from Golgi to ER with proteolysis of ATF6 followed by up-regulation of ER chaperones, mimicking a UPR response. ..
- Pastrana D, Yun C, McKee M, FitzGerald D. Mammalian cell expression of an active site mutant of Pseudomonas exotoxin disrupts LRP1 maturation. J Biomed Sci. 2008;15:427-39 pubmed publisher..Thus the intracellular expression of PEDelta553 appears to be a valuable probe of LRP1 maturation and trafficking. ..
- Pérez Victoria F, Mardones G, Bonifacino J. Requirement of the human GARP complex for mannose 6-phosphate-receptor-dependent sorting of cathepsin D to lysosomes. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:2350-62 pubmed publisher..We also report that a Vps54 mutant protein in the Wobbler mouse strain is active in retrograde transport, thus explaining the viability of these mutant mice. ..
- Yoon H, Lee J, Randazzo P. ARAP1 regulates endocytosis of EGFR. Traffic. 2008;9:2236-52 pubmed publisher..Based on these findings, we propose that ARAP1 regulates the endocytic traffic of EGFR and, consequently, the rate of EGFR signal attenuation. ..
- Narendra D, Tanaka A, Suen D, Youle R. Parkin is recruited selectively to impaired mitochondria and promotes their autophagy. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:795-803 pubmed publisher..These results show that Parkin promotes autophagy of damaged mitochondria and implicate a failure to eliminate dysfunctional mitochondria in the pathogenesis of Parkinson's disease. ..
- Zwang N, Hoffert J, Pisitkun T, Moeller H, Fenton R, Knepper M. Identification of phosphorylation-dependent binding partners of aquaporin-2 using protein mass spectrometry. J Proteome Res. 2009;8:1540-54 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that phosphorylation of AQP2 at Ser-256 may regulate AQP2 trafficking in part by mediating differential binding of hsp70 family proteins to the COOH-terminal tail. ..
- Liu X, Bera T, Liu L, Pastan I. A primate-specific POTE-actin fusion protein plays a role in apoptosis. Apoptosis. 2009;14:1237-44 pubmed publisher..Our data indicates that the POTE gene family encodes a new family of proapoptotic proteins. ..
- Cai Q, Lu L, Tian J, Zhu Y, Qiao H, Sheng Z. Snapin-regulated late endosomal transport is critical for efficient autophagy-lysosomal function in neurons. Neuron. 2010;68:73-86 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our study highlights new mechanistic insights into how Snapin-DIC coordinates retrograde transport and late endosomal-lysosomal trafficking critical for autophagy-lysosomal function, and thus neuronal homeostasis. ..
- Takayama Y, Clore G. Intra- and intermolecular translocation of the bi-domain transcription factor Oct1 characterized by liquid crystal and paramagnetic NMR. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:E169-76 pubmed publisher..Thus cross-talk between the POU(S) and POU(HD) domains, each fulfilling different and complementary components of the search process ensures efficient sampling of DNA, thereby facilitating the location of specific Oct1 target sites. ..
- Masedunskas A, Sramkova M, Parente L, Sales K, Amornphimoltham P, Bugge T, et al. Role for the actomyosin complex in regulated exocytosis revealed by intravital microscopy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:13552-7 pubmed publisher..Our results provide information on the machinery controlling regulated secretion and show that intravital microscopy provides unique opportunities to address fundamental questions in cell biology under physiological conditions. ..
- Quan Q, Yang M, Gao H, Zhu L, Lin X, Guo N, et al. Imaging tumor endothelial marker 8 using an 18F-labeled peptide. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2011;38:1806-15 pubmed publisher..18F-FP-QQM peptide tracer would be a promising lead compound for measuring TEM8 expression. Further efforts to improve the affinity and specificity of the tracer and to increase its metabolic stability are warranted. ..
- Dutta D, Williamson C, Cole N, Donaldson J. Pitstop 2 is a potent inhibitor of clathrin-independent endocytosis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e45799 pubmed publisher..Thus pitstop 2 has additional cellular targets besides the amino terminal domain of clathrin and thus cannot be used to distinguish CIE from CDE. ..
- Forgues M, Marrogi A, Spillare E, Wu C, Yang Q, Yoshida M, et al. Interaction of the hepatitis B virus X protein with the Crm1-dependent nuclear export pathway. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:22797-803 pubmed..We suggest that Crm1 may play a role in HBx-mediated liver carcinogenesis. ..
- Chen H, Nystrom F, Dong L, Li Y, Song S, Liu F, et al. Insulin stimulates increased catalytic activity of phosphoinositide-dependent kinase-1 by a phosphorylation-dependent mechanism. Biochemistry. 2001;40:11851-9 pubmed..We conclude that the basal constitutive catalytic activity of PDK-1 in NIH-3T3(IR) cells and rat adipose cells can be significantly increased upon insulin stimulation. ..
- Shu S, Liu X, Parent C, Uyeda T, Korn E. Tail chimeras of Dictyostelium myosin II support cytokinesis and other myosin II activities but not full development. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:4237-49 pubmed
- Nie Z, Boehm M, Boja E, Vass W, Bonifacino J, Fales H, et al. Specific regulation of the adaptor protein complex AP-3 by the Arf GAP AGAP1. Dev Cell. 2003;5:513-21 pubmed..Cells overexpressing AGAP1 also exhibit increased LAMP1 trafficking via the plasma membrane. Taken together, these results support the hypothesis that AGAP1 directly and specifically regulates AP-3-dependent trafficking. ..
- Suzuki M, Jeong S, Karbowski M, Youle R, Tjandra N. The solution structure of human mitochondria fission protein Fis1 reveals a novel TPR-like helix bundle. J Mol Biol. 2003;334:445-58 pubmed
- Wang Y, Kedei N, Wang M, Wang Q, Huppler A, Toth A, et al. Interaction between protein kinase Cmu and the vanilloid receptor type 1. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:53674-82 pubmed..6) Mutation of S116A in rVR1 blocked both the phosphorylation of rVR1 by PKCmu and the enhancement by PKCmu of the rVR1 response to capsaicin. We conclude that PKCmu functions as a direct modulator of rVR1. ..
- Lou H, Kim S, Zaitsev E, Snell C, Lu B, Loh Y. Sorting and activity-dependent secretion of BDNF require interaction of a specific motif with the sorting receptor carboxypeptidase e. Neuron. 2005;45:245-55 pubmed..Thus, we have identified a mechanism whereby a specific motif I(16)E(18)I(105)D(106) interacts with CPE to sort proBDNF into regulated pathway vesicles for activity-dependent secretion. ..
- Costin G, Valencia J, Wakamatsu K, Ito S, Solano F, Milac A, et al. Mutations in dopachrome tautomerase (Dct) affect eumelanin/pheomelanin synthesis, but do not affect intracellular trafficking of the mutant protein. Biochem J. 2005;391:249-59 pubmed..Thus the enzymatic activity of Dct may play a role in determining whether the eumelanin or pheomelanin pathway is preferred for pigment biosynthesis. ..
- Schumann M, Nakagawa T, Mantey S, Howell B, Jensen R. Function of non-visual arrestins in signaling and endocytosis of the gastrin-releasing peptide receptor (GRP receptor). Biochem Pharmacol. 2008;75:1170-85 pubmed publisher..Our results show that both non-visual arrestins play an important role in GRP-R internalization and desensitization. ..
- ..Recent studies have implicated retromer in a broad range of physiological, developmental and pathological processes, underscoring the critical nature of retrograde transport mediated by this complex...
- Patterson G, Hirschberg K, Polishchuk R, Gerlich D, Phair R, Lippincott Schwartz J. Transport through the Golgi apparatus by rapid partitioning within a two-phase membrane system. Cell. 2008;133:1055-67 pubmed publisher..Simulation and experimental testing of this rapid partitioning model reproduced all the key characteristics of the Golgi apparatus, including polarized lipid and protein gradients, exponential cargo export kinetics, and cargo waves. ..
- Shi Y, Ghosh M, Tong W, Rouault T. Human ISD11 is essential for both iron-sulfur cluster assembly and maintenance of normal cellular iron homeostasis. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:3014-25 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that ISD11 is important in the biogenesis of Fe-S clusters in mammalian cells, and its loss disrupts normal mitochondrial and cytosolic iron homeostasis. ..