Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on polysaccharides in Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Locale: Bethesda, Maryland, United States
- Robbins J, Schneerson R, Xie G, Hanson L, Åke Hanson L, Miller M. Capsular polysaccharide vaccine for Group B Neisseria meningitidis, Escherichia coli K1, and Pasteurella haemolytica A2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:17871-5 pubmed publisher..haemolytica A2, protein conjugates of it are easy to prepare using inexpensive and plentiful ingredients, and they would be compatible with routinely administered infant vaccines, clinical studies of these conjugates should proceed. ..
- An Y, Cipollo J. An unbiased approach for analysis of protein glycosylation and application to influenza vaccine hemagglutinin. Anal Biochem. 2011;415:67-80 pubmed publisher..The stochastic distribution of glycoforms at glycosylation sites is revealed. This platform should have wide applications to glycoproteins in basic sciences and industry because no apparent bias for any glycoforms is observed. ..
- Lugovtsev V, Smith D, Weir J. Changes of the receptor-binding properties of influenza B virus B/Victoria/504/2000 during adaptation in chicken eggs. Virology. 2009;394:218-26 pubmed publisher..In all cases when the effects on virus binding of individual amino acid substitutions differed, the effect of R162M was subordinate to the effect of either G141E or D196Y. ..
- Tian E, Ten Hagen K. O-linked glycan expression during Drosophila development. Glycobiology. 2007;17:820-7 pubmed..This information will aid us in identifying the in vivo substrates of the UDP-GalNAc: polypeptide N-acetylgalactosaminyltranferases, in a continuing effort to define the biological role of O-linked glycoproteins during development. ..
- Robbins J, Schneerson R, Keith J, Shiloach J, Miller M, Trollors B. The rise in pertussis cases urges replacement of chemically-inactivated with genetically-inactivated toxoid for DTP. Vaccine. 2007;25:2811-6 pubmed..Manufacturers have declined to produce the genetically-inactivated PTx because of the expense required to change to the improved vaccine and not because of scientific issues. ..
- Pozsgay V, Ekborg G, Sampathkumar S. Synthesis of hexa- to tridecasaccharides related to Shigella dysenteriae type 1 for incorporation in experimental vaccines. Carbohydr Res. 2006;341:1408-27 pubmed..The oligosaccharides described herein contain the 5-(methoxycarbonyl)pentyl aglycon for eventual attachment to immunogenic carriers using a recently published protocol [J. Org. Chem.2005, 70, 6987]. ..
- Narazaki M, Segarra M, Tosato G. Sulfated polysaccharides identified as inducers of neuropilin-1 internalization and functional inhibition of VEGF165 and semaphorin3A. Blood. 2008;111:4126-36 pubmed publisher..quot; ..
- Hoodbhoy T, Aviles M, Baibakov B, Epifano O, Jimenez Movilla M, Gauthier L, et al. ZP2 and ZP3 traffic independently within oocytes prior to assembly into the extracellular zona pellucida. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:7991-8 pubmed..Thus, ZP2 secretion is seemingly unaffected by ZP3 lacking N-glycans. Taken together, these observations indicate that ZP2 and ZP3 traffic independently through the oocyte prior to assembly into the zona pellucida. ..
- Colino J, Snapper C. Dendritic cell-derived exosomes express a Streptococcus pneumoniae capsular polysaccharide type 14 cross-reactive antigen that induces protective immunoglobulin responses against pneumococcal infection in mice. Infect Immun. 2007;75:220-30 pubmed..Although anti-Cps14 Ig responses are specifically demonstrated, these could reflect a broader mechanism that modulates both natural immunity and autoimmunity to other glycotopes. ..
- Rothfuchs A, Bafica A, Feng C, Egen J, Williams D, Brown G, et al. Dectin-1 interaction with Mycobacterium tuberculosis leads to enhanced IL-12p40 production by splenic dendritic cells. J Immunol. 2007;179:3463-71 pubmed..tuberculosis-induced IL-12p40 production by DC in which the receptor augments bacterial-host cell interaction and enhances the subsequent cytokine response through an unknown mechanism involving Syk signaling. ..
- Tabak L. The role of mucin-type O-glycans in eukaryotic development. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2010;21:616-21 pubmed publisher..As additional genetic, biochemical and physical tools are developed to interrogate the complex structure and surface location of this under-studied class of carbohydrate, no doubt additional roles will be elucidated. ..
- Gahlay G, Gauthier L, Baibakov B, Epifano O, Dean J. Gamete recognition in mice depends on the cleavage status of an egg's zona pellucida protein. Science. 2010;329:216-9 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that sperm-egg recognition depends on the cleavage status of ZP2 and that binding at the surface of the zona is not sufficient to induce sperm acrosome exocytosis. ..
- Love D, Kochan J, Cathey R, Shin S, Hanover J, Kochran J. Mitochondrial and nucleocytoplasmic targeting of O-linked GlcNAc transferase. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:647-54 pubmed..The differential localization of mitochondrial and nucleocytoplasmic isoforms of OGT suggests that they perform unique intracellular functions. ..
- Rahman A, Barr K, Rick P. Identification of the structural gene for the TDP-Fuc4NAc:lipid II Fuc4NAc transferase involved in synthesis of enterobacterial common antigen in Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:6509-16 pubmed..Our data support the conclusion that o359 of the wec gene cluster of E. coli is the structural gene for the TDP-Fuc4NAc:lipid II Fuc4NAc transferase involved in the synthesis ECA trisaccharide repeat units. ..
- Williams D, Lee J, Cai M, Bewley C, Clore G. Crystal structures of the HIV-1 inhibitory cyanobacterial protein MVL free and bound to Man3GlcNAc2: structural basis for specificity and high-affinity binding to the core pentasaccharide from n-linked oligomannoside. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:29269-76 pubmed publisher..The structures of MVL and the MVL-Man3GlcNAc2 complex further our understanding of the molecular basis of high affinity and specificity in protein-carbohydrate recognition...