Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on oocytes in Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Locale: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
- Parfenov A, Salnikov V, Lederer W, Lukyanenko V. Aqueous diffusion pathways as a part of the ventricular cell ultrastructure. Biophys J. 2006;90:1107-19 pubmed
- Featherstone C, Darby M, Gerace L. A monoclonal antibody against the nuclear pore complex inhibits nucleocytoplasmic transport of protein and RNA in vivo. J Cell Biol. 1988;107:1289-97 pubmed..This suggests that inhibition of protein and RNA transport occurs by binding of the antibody at or near components of the pore that participate in mediated transport. ..
- Gall J, Wu Z. Examining the contents of isolated Xenopus germinal vesicles. Methods. 2010;51:45-51 pubmed publisher..Preparations of isolated GV contents reveal details of nuclear structure that are almost impossible to attain by more conventional techniques. ..
- Jackson S, Singhal S, Woods A, Morales M, Shippenberg T, Zhang L, et al. Volatile anesthetics and endogenous cannabinoid anandamide have additive and independent inhibitory effects on alpha(7)-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor-mediated responses in Xenopus oocytes. Eur J Pharmacol. 2008;582:42-51 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that endocannabinoids and isoflurane have additive inhibitory effects on alpha(7)-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor function through allosteric binding sites located on the distinct regions of the receptor. ..
- Liu J, Buszczak M, Gall J. Nuclear bodies in the Drosophila germinal vesicle. Chromosome Res. 2006;14:465-75 pubmed..Several other nuclear bodies of unknown nature can be detected by phase contrast, differential interference contrast, and electron microscopy. ..
- Gall J, Bellini M, Wu Z, Murphy C. Assembly of the nuclear transcription and processing machinery: Cajal bodies (coiled bodies) and transcriptosomes. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:4385-402 pubmed..An analogy can be made between ribosomes and transcriptosomes, ribosomes being unitary particles involved in translation and transcriptosomes being unitary particles for transcription and processing of RNA. ..
- Murphy C, Wang Z, Roeder R, Gall J. RNA polymerase III in Cajal bodies and lampbrush chromosomes of the Xenopus oocyte nucleus. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:3466-76 pubmed..The existence of pol III subunits and pol III transcription factors in Cajal bodies and their targeting to these organelles are consistent with a model of Cajal bodies as sites for preassembly of the nuclear transcription machinery. ..
- Woods A, Kaminski R, Oz M, Wang Y, Hauser K, Goody R, et al. Decoy peptides that bind dynorphin noncovalently prevent NMDA receptor-mediated neurotoxicity. J Proteome Res. 2006;5:1017-23 pubmed..Furthermore, they suggest that synthetic peptides that bind DYNp, thus preventing their interaction with NMDAR, may be novel therapeutic agents for the treatment of spinal cord injury. ..
- Greenfeld C, Pepling M, Babus J, Furth P, Flaws J. BAX regulates follicular endowment in mice. Reproduction. 2007;133:865-76 pubmed..Instead, our data suggest that the regulatory activity of BAX in follicular endowment likely occurs during PGC migration, prior to PGC colonization of the gonad...
- Larson S, Lee H, Hung P, Matthews L, Robinson D, Evans J. Cortical mechanics and meiosis II completion in mammalian oocytes are mediated by myosin-II and Ezrin-Radixin-Moesin (ERM) proteins. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:3182-92 pubmed publisher..Thus, myosin-II and ERM proteins modulate mechanical properties in oocytes, contributing to cell polarity and to completion of meiosis. ..
- Gorelick D, Praetorius J, Tsunenari T, Nielsen S, Agre P. Aquaporin-11: a channel protein lacking apparent transport function expressed in brain. BMC Biochem. 2006;7:14 pubmed..AQP11 is functionally distinct from other proteins of the aquaporin superfamily and could represent a new aquaporin subfamily. Further studies are necessary to elucidate the role of AQP11 in the brain. ..
- Shimada S, Kitayama S, Lin C, Patel A, Nanthakumar E, Gregor P, et al. Cloning and expression of a cocaine-sensitive dopamine transporter complementary DNA. Science. 1991;254:576-8 pubmed..Binding of the cocaine analog [3H]CFT ([3H]2 beta-carbomethoxy-3 beta-(4-fluorophenyl)tropane) to transfected COS cell membranes yields a pharmacological profile similar to that in striatal membranes. ..
- Liu K, Kozono D, Kato Y, Agre P, Hazama A, Yasui M. Conversion of aquaporin 6 from an anion channel to a water-selective channel by a single amino acid substitution. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:2192-7 pubmed..We propose that the asparagine residue at the contact point between TM2 and TM5 in AQP6 may function as a teeter board needed for rapid structural oscillations during anion permeation. ..
- de Cuevas M, Spradling A. Morphogenesis of the Drosophila fusome and its implications for oocyte specification. Development. 1998;125:2781-9 pubmed..Based on these observations, we argue that the oocyte is specified at the first cyst division. ..
- Azene E, Xue T, Li R. Molecular basis of the effect of potassium on heterologously expressed pacemaker (HCN) channels. J Physiol. 2003;547:349-56 pubmed..We conclude that gating and permeation of HCN channels are coupled, and that modulation of this 'pore-to-gate' coupling by external K+ is isoform-specific. ..
- Preston G, Carroll T, Guggino W, Agre P. Appearance of water channels in Xenopus oocytes expressing red cell CHIP28 protein. Science. 1992;256:385-7 pubmed..Therefore it is likely that CHIP28 is a functional unit of membrane water channels. ..
- Liu Y, Montell D. Identification of mutations that cause cell migration defects in mosaic clones. Development. 1999;126:1869-78 pubmed..This screen identified many new loci required for border cell migration and our results suggest that this is a useful approach for elucidating the mechanisms involved in cell motility. ..
- Yu D, Zhang H, Blanpied T, Smith E, Zhan X. Cortactin is implicated in murine zygotic development. Exp Cell Res. 2010;316:848-58 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that cortactin plays an important role in the mechanics of asymmetric division in oocytes. ..
- Segura Totten M, Kowalski A, Craigie R, Wilson K. Barrier-to-autointegration factor: major roles in chromatin decondensation and nuclear assembly. J Cell Biol. 2002;158:475-85 pubmed..Our results suggest that BAF, unregulated, potently compresses chromatin structure, and that BAF interactions with both DNA and LEM proteins are critical for membrane recruitment and chromatin decondensation during nuclear assembly. ..
- Xue T, Marban E, Li R. Dominant-negative suppression of HCN1- and HCN2-encoded pacemaker currents by an engineered HCN1 construct: insights into structure-function relationships and multimerization. Circ Res. 2002;90:1267-73 pubmed..We conclude that the GYG motif is a critical determinant of ion permeation for HCN channels, and that HCN1 and HCN2 readily coassemble to form heterotetrameric complexes. ..
- Hoffman G, Le W, Entezam A, Otsuka N, Tong Z, Nelson L, et al. Ovarian abnormalities in a mouse model of fragile X primary ovarian insufficiency. J Histochem Cytochem. 2012;60:439-56 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, PM follicles are smaller and have fewer granulosa cells (GCs) than normal. Thus, these animals have ovarian abnormalities involving both the oocytes and GCs that may shed light on the molecular basis of FXPOI in humans. ..
- Nakanishi T, Doyle L, Hassel B, Wei Y, Bauer K, Wu S, et al. Functional characterization of human breast cancer resistance protein (BCRP, ABCG2) expressed in the oocytes of Xenopus laevis. Mol Pharmacol. 2003;64:1452-62 pubmed..We conclude that the X. laevis oocyte heterologous expression system is a valid and effective means of studying BCRP function and substrate specificity...
- Cox R, Spradling A. A Balbiani body and the fusome mediate mitochondrial inheritance during Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 2003;130:1579-90 pubmed..Our findings reveal new similarities between oogenesis in Drosophila and vertebrates, and support our hypothesis that developing oocytes contain specific mechanisms to ensure that germ plasm is endowed with highly functional organelles. ..
- Carbrey J, Bonhivers M, Boeke J, Agre P. Aquaporins in Saccharomyces: Characterization of a second functional water channel protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:1000-5 pubmed..chevalieri Aqy2p. In addition, Aqy1p and Aqy2p can affect cell surface properties and may provide an advantage by dispersing the cells during starvation or during sexual reproduction. ..
- Glazar A, Evans J. Immunoglobulin superfamily member IgSF8 (EWI-2) and CD9 in fertilisation: evidence of distinct functions for CD9 and a CD9-associated protein in mammalian sperm-egg interaction. Reprod Fertil Dev. 2009;21:293-303 pubmed..The present study highlights the critical importance of design of IVF experiments for the detection of different effects of experimental manipulations on gamete interactions. ..
- Lei L, Spradling A. Female mice lack adult germ-line stem cells but sustain oogenesis using stable primordial follicles. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:8585-90 pubmed publisher..Thus, adult female mice neither require nor contain active germ-line stem cells or produce new oocytes in vivo. ..
- Morris L, Spradling A. Long-term live imaging provides new insight into stem cell regulation and germline-soma coordination in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 2011;138:2207-15 pubmed publisher..Additionally, escort cells are not replenished by the regular division of escort stem cells as previously suggested. Rather, escort cells remain quiescent and divide only to maintain a constant germ cell:escort cell ratio...
- Liu Z, Zheng Y. A requirement for epsin in mitotic membrane and spindle organization. J Cell Biol. 2009;186:473-80 pubmed publisher..Our study of epsin provides evidence that mitotic membrane organization influences spindle integrity. ..
- Xie T, Spradling A. A niche maintaining germ line stem cells in the Drosophila ovary. Science. 2000;290:328-30 pubmed..Our studies implicate one of the somatic cell types, the cap cells, as a key niche component. ..
- Carbrey J, Gorelick Feldman D, Kozono D, Praetorius J, Nielsen S, Agre P. Aquaglyceroporin AQP9: solute permeation and metabolic control of expression in liver. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:2945-50 pubmed..In addition, levels of AQP9 expression fluctuate depending on the nutritional status of the subject and the circulating insulin levels. ..
- Nagase H, Agren J, Saito A, Liu K, Agre P, Hazama A, et al. Molecular cloning and characterization of mouse aquaporin 6. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;352:12-6 pubmed..Functional analyses of water and ion permeation revealed that mAQP6a functions like rat AQP6 and that mAQP6b does not function as either a water channel or an ion channel under our experimental conditions. ..
- Kai T, Spradling A. An empty Drosophila stem cell niche reactivates the proliferation of ectopic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:4633-8 pubmed..Thus, empty niches can persist, signal incoming cells, and support ectopic proliferation. Similar events may underlie some disease states. ..
- Pellettieri J, Seydoux G. Anterior-posterior polarity in C. elegans and Drosophila--PARallels and differences. Science. 2002;298:1946-50 pubmed..Although clear mechanistic parallels remain to be established, par-dependent regulation of microtubule dynamics and protein stability emerge as common themes. ..
- Malki S, van der Heijden G, O Donnell K, Martin S, Bortvin A. A role for retrotransposon LINE-1 in fetal oocyte attrition in mice. Dev Cell. 2014;29:521-533 pubmed publisher..We propose that FOA serves to select oocytes with limited L1 activity that are therefore best suited for the next generation...
- Lei L, Spradling A. Mouse primordial germ cells produce cysts that partially fragment prior to meiosis. Development. 2013;140:2075-81 pubmed publisher..Thus, cysts are invariant units of mouse germ cell development and cyst fragmentation provides insight into the amplification of spermatogonial stem cells and the origin of primordial follicles...
- Liu K, Nagase H, Huang C, Calamita G, Agre P. Purification and functional characterization of aquaporin-8. Biol Cell. 2006;98:153-61 pubmed..Moreover, hAQP8 is permeable to ammonium analogues (formamide and methylammonium). Our results suggest that AQP8 may transport ammonium in vivo and physiologically contribute to the acid-base equilibrium. ..
- Cutting G, Lu L, O Hara B, Kasch L, Montrose Rafizadeh C, Donovan D, et al. Cloning of the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) rho 1 cDNA: a GABA receptor subunit highly expressed in the retina. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:2673-7 pubmed..These features are consistent with our identification of a GABA subunit, GABA rho 1, with prominent retinal expression that increases the diversity and tissue specificity of this ligand-gated ion-channel receptor family. ..
- Drummond Barbosa D, Spradling A. Alpha-endosulfine, a potential regulator of insulin secretion, is required for adult tissue growth control in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2004;266:310-21 pubmed
- Kim S, Lee Y, Akitake B, Woodward O, Guggino W, Montell C. Drosophila TRPA1 channel mediates chemical avoidance in gustatory receptor neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:8440-5 pubmed publisher..Given that mammalian TRPA1 is required for responding to noxious chemicals, many of which cause pain and injury, our analysis underscores the evolutionarily conserved role for TRPA1 channels in chemical avoidance...
- Yoo D, Flagg T, Olsen O, Raghuram V, Foskett J, Welling P. Assembly and trafficking of a multiprotein ROMK (Kir 1.1) channel complex by PDZ interactions. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:6863-73 pubmed..Thus NHERF facilitates assembly of a ternary complex containing ROMK and CFTR. These observations raise the possibility that PDZ-based interactions may underscore physiological regulation and membrane targeting of ROMK in the kidney. ..
- Wilhelm J, Hilton M, Amos Q, Henzel W. Cup is an eIF4E binding protein required for both the translational repression of oskar and the recruitment of Barentsz. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:1197-204 pubmed..Thus, Cup is a translational repressor of oskar that is required to assemble the oskar mRNA localization machinery. We propose that Cup coordinates localization with translation. ..
- Grieder N, de Cuevas M, Spradling A. The fusome organizes the microtubule network during oocyte differentiation in Drosophila. Development. 2000;127:4253-64 pubmed..Our results suggest that the fusome, a specialized membrane-skeletal structure, which arises in early germ cells, plays a crucial role in polarizing 16-cell cysts, at least in part by interacting with microtubules and centrosomes. ..
- Woodward O, KÃ¶ttgen A, Coresh J, Boerwinkle E, Guggino W, KÃ¶ttgen M. Identification of a urate transporter, ABCG2, with a common functional polymorphism causing gout. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:10338-42 pubmed publisher..Our study completes the chain of evidence from association to causation and supports the common disease-common variant hypothesis in the etiology of gout. ..
- Preston G, Smith B, Zeidel M, Moulds J, Agre P. Mutations in aquaporin-1 in phenotypically normal humans without functional CHIP water channels. Science. 1994;265:1585-7 pubmed..Surprisingly, none of the three suffers any apparent clinical consequence, which raises questions about the physiological importance of CHIP and implies that other mechanisms may compensate for its absence. ..
- Margolis J, Spradling A. Identification and behavior of epithelial stem cells in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 1995;121:3797-807 pubmed
- Deryusheva S, Gall J. Small Cajal body-specific RNAs of Drosophila function in the absence of Cajal bodies. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:5250-9 pubmed publisher..We propose that the snRNA modification machinery is not limited to CBs, but is dispersed throughout the nucleoplasm of cells in general...
- Gustina A, Trudeau M. The eag domain regulates hERG channel inactivation gating via a direct interaction. J Gen Physiol. 2013;141:229-41 pubmed publisher..The results show that N-terminal region-dependent regulation of channel inactivation and resurgent current properties are caused by a direct interaction of the eag domain with the rest of the hERG channel. ..
- Handwerger K, Murphy C, Gall J. Steady-state dynamics of Cajal body components in the Xenopus germinal vesicle. J Cell Biol. 2003;160:495-504 pubmed..We propose that binding to other molecules and possibly assembly into larger complexes are the rate-limiting steps for FRAP of U7, coilin, and TBP inside CBs...
- Lighthouse D, Buszczak M, Spradling A. New components of the Drosophila fusome suggest it plays novel roles in signaling and transport. Dev Biol. 2008;317:59-71 pubmed publisher..In contrast, rab11 is required to maintain the germline stem cells, and to maintain the vesicle content of the spectrosome, suggesting that the fusome mediates intercellular signals that depend on the recycling endosome. ..
- Cox R, Spradling A. Milton controls the early acquisition of mitochondria by Drosophila oocytes. Development. 2006;133:3371-7 pubmed
- Cheng K, Klancer R, Singson A, Seydoux G. Regulation of MBK-2/DYRK by CDK-1 and the pseudophosphatases EGG-4 and EGG-5 during the oocyte-to-embryo transition. Cell. 2009;139:560-72 pubmed publisher..Our findings link cell-cycle progression to MBK-2/DYRK activation and the oocyte-to-embryo transition. ..
- Cao K, Nakajima R, Meyer H, Zheng Y. The AAA-ATPase Cdc48/p97 regulates spindle disassembly at the end of mitosis. Cell. 2003;115:355-67 pubmed..Therefore, Cdc48/p97-Ufd1-Npl4 is an essential chaperone that regulates transformation of the microtubule structure as cells reenter interphase. ..