Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on nonmammalian embryo in Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Locale: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Topic: nonmammalian embryo
- Lee C, Fan C. Embryonic expression patterns of the mouse and chick Gas1 genes. Mech Dev. 2001;101:293-7 pubmed..Furthermore, we have cloned the chick GAS1 gene and documented the similarity and divergence of Gas1 gene expression patterns between the two species. ..
- Wang X, Adam J, Montell D. Spatially localized Kuzbanian required for specific activation of Notch during border cell migration. Dev Biol. 2007;301:532-40 pubmed..This represents a previously unrecognized mechanism for achieving spatial restriction of Notch signaling. ..
- Silver D, Geisbrecht E, Montell D. Requirement for JAK/STAT signaling throughout border cell migration in Drosophila. Development. 2005;132:3483-92 pubmed..Together, our findings suggest that the requirement for STAT in border cells extends beyond the initial specification and delamination of cells from the epithelium. ..
- McGaughey D, McCallion A. Efficient discovery of ASCL1 regulatory sequences through transgene pooling. Genomics. 2010;95:363-9 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate the utility of this approach and its potential for further adaptation and higher throughput application. ..
- Gallo C, Munro E, Rasoloson D, Merritt C, Seydoux G. Processing bodies and germ granules are distinct RNA granules that interact in C. elegans embryos. Dev Biol. 2008;323:76-87 pubmed publisher..The maternal mRNA nos-2 is maintained in germ granules, but not in P-bodies. We conclude that P-bodies are distinct from germ granules, and represent a second class of RNA granules that behaves differently in somatic and germline cells. ..
- Abraham E, Palevitch O, Gothilf Y, Zohar Y. The zebrafish as a model system for forebrain GnRH neuronal development. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2009;164:151-60 pubmed publisher..We also discuss the potential use of this line to study regulation of GnRH3 system development. ..
- Yao S, Lum L, Beachy P. The ihog cell-surface proteins bind Hedgehog and mediate pathway activation. Cell. 2006;125:343-57 pubmed
- Terman J, Kolodkin A. Nervy links protein kinase a to plexin-mediated semaphorin repulsion. Science. 2004;303:1204-7 pubmed..Thus, Nervy couples cAMP-PKA signaling to PlexA to regulate Sema-1a-mediated axonal repulsion, revealing a simple molecular mechanism that allows growing axons to integrate inputs from multiple guidance cues. ..
- Xu C, Wu G, Zohar Y, Du S. Analysis of myostatin gene structure, expression and function in zebrafish. J Exp Biol. 2003;206:4067-79 pubmed..Together, these data demonstrate that Myostatin plays an inhibitory role in hyperplastic muscle growth in zebrafish. ..
- Voronina E, Seydoux G. The C. elegans homolog of nucleoporin Nup98 is required for the integrity and function of germline P granules. Development. 2010;137:1441-50 pubmed publisher..In the mouse, Nup98 immunoprecipitates with the germ granule component MVH. Our findings suggest that, in germ cells, the function of Nup98 extends beyond transport at the nuclear pore to include mRNA regulation in the cytoplasm. ..
- Yanowitz J, Fire A. Cyclin D involvement demarcates a late transition in C. elegans embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2005;279:244-51 pubmed..The results suggest that certain mesodermal lineages may be uniquely affected by changes in cyd-1 activity. ..
- Cheng K, Klancer R, Singson A, Seydoux G. Regulation of MBK-2/DYRK by CDK-1 and the pseudophosphatases EGG-4 and EGG-5 during the oocyte-to-embryo transition. Cell. 2009;139:560-72 pubmed publisher..Our findings link cell-cycle progression to MBK-2/DYRK activation and the oocyte-to-embryo transition. ..
- Sheng X, Posenau T, Gumulak Smith J, Matunis E, Van Doren M, Wawersik M. Jak-STAT regulation of male germline stem cell establishment during Drosophila embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2009;334:335-44 pubmed publisher..These findings show that stem cell formation is closely linked to development of the stem cell niche, and suggest that Jak-STAT signaling is required for initial establishment of the GSC population in developing testes. ..
- Bradley P, Myat M, Comeaux C, Andrew D. Posterior migration of the salivary gland requires an intact visceral mesoderm and integrin function. Dev Biol. 2003;257:249-62 pubmed..These findings suggest that salivary tube dimensions may be an intrinsic property of salivary gland cells. ..
- Gleason J, Szyleyko E, Eisenmann D. Multiple redundant Wnt signaling components function in two processes during C. elegans vulval development. Dev Biol. 2006;298:442-57 pubmed..p lineage. Here, too, we found that four of five Wnt receptors can influence P7.p orientation, suggesting that a surprising amount of functional redundancy exists in Wnt signaling during C. elegans vulval induction...
- Zonies S, Motegi F, Hao Y, Seydoux G. Symmetry breaking and polarization of the C. elegans zygote by the polarity protein PAR-2. Development. 2010;137:1669-77 pubmed publisher..We propose that polarity in the C. elegans zygote is initiated by redundant ECT-2- and PAR-2-dependent mechanisms that lower PAR-3 levels locally, triggering a positive-feedback loop that polarizes the entire cortex. ..
- Montell D. The genetics of cell migration in Drosophila melanogaster and Caenorhabditis elegans development. Development. 1999;126:3035-46 pubmed..New types of genetic screens promise to fill in some of these gaps in the near future. ..
- Chang J, Esumi N, Moore K, Li Y, Zhang S, Chew C, et al. Cloning and characterization of a secreted frizzled-related protein that is expressed by the retinal pigment epithelium. Hum Mol Genet. 1999;8:575-83 pubmed..1; human SFRP2 maps to 4q31.3. Based on the biology and complementary expression patterns of SFRP2 and SFRP5, we suggest that they may be involved in determining the polarity of photoreceptor, and perhaps other, cells in the retina. ..
- McGaughey D, Stine Z, Huynh J, Vinton R, McCallion A. Asymmetrical distribution of non-conserved regulatory sequences at PHOX2B is reflected at the ENCODE loci and illuminates a possible genome-wide trend. BMC Genomics. 2009;10:8 pubmed publisher..Our data combined with the ENCODE data suggests that this may represent a genome wide trend. ..
- Prasad B, Karakuzu O, Reed R, Cameron S. unc-3-dependent repression of specific motor neuron fates in Caenorhabditis elegans. Dev Biol. 2008;323:207-15 pubmed publisher..Our data explain the locomotory defects of unc-3 mutants and suggest that interactions between unc-3 and pag-3 orthologs in other species may be functionally important. ..
- Ayoob J, Terman J, Kolodkin A. Drosophila Plexin B is a Sema-2a receptor required for axon guidance. Development. 2006;133:2125-35 pubmed..These results establish roles for PlexB in central and peripheral axon pathfinding, define a functional ligand for PlexB, and implicate common signaling events in plexin-mediated axonal guidance. ..
- Abraham E, Palevitch O, Ijiri S, Du S, Gothilf Y, Zohar Y. Early development of forebrain gonadotrophin-releasing hormone (GnRH) neurones and the role of GnRH as an autocrine migration factor. J Neuroendocrinol. 2008;20:394-405 pubmed publisher..Moreover we show, in vivo, that GnRH3 is an important factor regulating GnRH3 fibre pathfinding and neurone localisation in an autocrine fashion. ..
- Rørth P. Gal4 in the Drosophila female germline. Mech Dev. 1998;78:113-8 pubmed..FGF signaling guides tracheal cell migration in the embryo. However, misexpression of branchless in the ovary had no effect on border cell migration. Thus border cells and tracheal cells appear to be guided differently. ..
- Sussman D, Klingensmith J, Salinas P, Adams P, Nusse R, Perrimon N. Isolation and characterization of a mouse homolog of the Drosophila segment polarity gene dishevelled. Dev Biol. 1994;166:73-86 pubmed..Throughout postnatal development of the brain Dvl-1 is highly expressed in areas of high neuronal cell density. ..
- Tan X, Rotllant J, Li H, De Deyne P, DeDeyne P, Du S. SmyD1, a histone methyltransferase, is required for myofibril organization and muscle contraction in zebrafish embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:2713-8 pubmed..Together, these data indicate that SmyD1a and SmyD1b are histone methyltransferases and play a critical role in myofibril organization during myofiber maturation. ..
- DeFalco T, Le Bras S, Van Doren M. Abdominal-B is essential for proper sexually dimorphic development of the Drosophila gonad. Mech Dev. 2004;121:1323-33 pubmed..Our results indicate that Abd-B acts at multiple levels to regulate gonad development and that Abd-B class homeotic genes are conserved factors in establishing gonad sexual dimorphism in diverse species. ..
- Du S, Dienhart M. Gli2 mediation of hedgehog signals in slow muscle induction in zebrafish. Differentiation. 2001;67:84-91 pubmed
- Ahmed H, Vasta G. Unlike mammalian GRIFIN, the zebrafish homologue (DrGRIFIN) represents a functional carbohydrate-binding galectin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;371:350-5 pubmed publisher..Therefore, DrGRIFIN is a bona fide galectin family member that in addition to its carbohydrate-binding properties, may also function as a crystallin. ..
- Gamse J, Kuan Y, Macurak M, Brösamle C, Thisse B, Thisse C, et al. Directional asymmetry of the zebrafish epithalamus guides dorsoventral innervation of the midbrain target. Development. 2005;132:4869-81 pubmed..The results demonstrate that laterality of the dorsal forebrain influences the formation of midbrain connections and their molecular properties. ..
- Ma Y, Erkner A, Gong R, Yao S, Taipale J, Basler K, et al. Hedgehog-mediated patterning of the mammalian embryo requires transporter-like function of dispatched. Cell. 2002;111:63-75 pubmed..This activity is disrupted by alteration of residues functionally conserved in Patched and in a related family of bacterial transmembrane transporters, thus suggesting similar mechanisms of action for all of these proteins. ..
- Seydoux G, Fire A. Soma-germline asymmetry in the distributions of embryonic RNAs in Caenorhabditis elegans. Development. 1994;120:2823-34 pubmed..These observations suggest that mechanisms which distinguish between soma and germline cause asymmetries in mRNA stability and transcription within the first few cleavages of C. elegans embryogenesis. ..