Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on muscles in Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Locale: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
- Liu J, Zhou H, Weir M, Xu H, Chen Q, TROTMAN C. Fast-degradable microbeads encapsulating human umbilical cord stem cells in alginate for muscle tissue engineering. Tissue Eng Part A. 2012;18:2303-14 pubmed publisher..Compared to the usual method of seeding cells in a hydrogel matrix, hUCMSC-microbead-AM construct had greatly improved cell viability and myogenic differentiation, and hence, is promising to enhance muscle regeneration. ..
- Yanowitz J, Shakir M, Hedgecock E, Hutter H, Fire A, Lundquist E. UNC-39, the C. elegans homolog of the human myotonic dystrophy-associated homeodomain protein Six5, regulates cell motility and differentiation. Dev Biol. 2004;272:389-402 pubmed..We show that human Six5 and UNC-39 are functional homologs, suggesting that further characterization of the C. elegans unc-39 gene might provide insight into the etiology of DM1. ..
- Zhu L, Perez Alvarado G, Wade R. Sequencing of a cDNA encoding the human fast-twitch skeletal muscle isoform of troponin I. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1994;1217:338-40 pubmed..Comparison of the deduced human TnIfast protein sequence with a variety of troponin I isoforms from other species has revealed a high degree of cross-species sequence conservation between TnIfast proteins. ..
- Chen L, Krause M, Sepanski M, Fire A. The Caenorhabditis elegans MYOD homologue HLH-1 is essential for proper muscle function and complete morphogenesis. Development. 1994;120:1631-41 pubmed..Mosaic studies using the point mutation and an extrachromosomal transgene indicate that the requirement for hlh-1 is fully zygotic, with no maternal hlh-1 requirement for either muscle development or viability. ..
- Dobs A, Boccia R, Croot C, Gabrail N, Dalton J, Hancock M, et al. Effects of enobosarm on muscle wasting and physical function in patients with cancer: a double-blind, randomised controlled phase 2 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2013;14:335-45 pubmed publisher..Cancer cachexia is an unmet medical need and our data suggest that use of enobosarm might lead to improvements in lean body mass, without the toxic effects associated with androgens and progestational agents. GTx. ..
- Bo Li Z, Zhang J, Wagner K. Inhibition of myostatin reverses muscle fibrosis through apoptosis. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:3957-65 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that skeletal muscle fibrosis can be pharmacologically reversed through induction of fibroblast apoptosis. ..
- Xu J, Gao J, Li J, Xue L, Clark K, Ekker S, et al. Functional analysis of slow myosin heavy chain 1 and myomesin-3 in sarcomere organization in zebrafish embryonic slow muscles. J Genet Genomics. 2012;39:69-80 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies indicate that myosin thick filaments are required for M-line organization and M-line localization of myomesin-3. In contrast, myomesin-3 is dispensable for sarcomere organization in slow muscles...
- Yap S, Vafiadaki E, Strong J, Kontrogianni Konstantopoulos A. HAX-1: a multifaceted antiapoptotic protein localizing in the mitochondria and the sarcoplasmic reticulum of striated muscle cells. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2010;48:1266-79 pubmed publisher..Our findings are the first to present a comprehensive characterization of HAX-1's expression in striated muscles and to provide insights on the mechanisms through which it may modulate apoptosis. ..
- Tan F, Fire A, Hill R. Regulation of apoptosis by C. elegans CED-9 in the absence of the C-terminal transmembrane domain. Cell Death Differ. 2007;14:1925-35 pubmed
- Terman J, Kolodkin A. Nervy links protein kinase a to plexin-mediated semaphorin repulsion. Science. 2004;303:1204-7 pubmed..Thus, Nervy couples cAMP-PKA signaling to PlexA to regulate Sema-1a-mediated axonal repulsion, revealing a simple molecular mechanism that allows growing axons to integrate inputs from multiple guidance cues. ..
- Zhan M, Yamaza H, Sun Y, Sinclair J, Li H, Zou S. Temporal and spatial transcriptional profiles of aging in Drosophila melanogaster. Genome Res. 2007;17:1236-43 pubmed..The spatial and temporal transcriptome data presented in this study provide a basis and a valuable resource for further genetic and genomic investigation of tissue-specific regulation of aging. ..
- Francel T, Dufresne C, Baumgartner W, O Kelley J. Anatomic and clinical considerations of an internal mammary artery harvest. Arch Surg. 1992;127:1107-11 pubmed..If the bifurcation is harvested, we believe that the removal of the avascular xiphoid cartilage at the time of the initial bypass procedure may eliminate this as a potential septic focus...
- Cantilina T, Sagara Y, Inesi G, Jones L. Comparative studies of cardiac and skeletal sarcoplasmic reticulum ATPases. Effect of a phospholamban antibody on enzyme activation by Ca2+. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:17018-25 pubmed
- Corin S, Juhasz O, Zhu L, Conley P, Kedes L, Wade R. Structure and expression of the human slow twitch skeletal muscle troponin I gene. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:10651-9 pubmed..A muscle-specific enhancer regulated slow troponin I promoter activity. ..
- Okkema P, Fire A. The Caenorhabditis elegans NK-2 class homeoprotein CEH-22 is involved in combinatorial activation of gene expression in pharyngeal muscle. Development. 1994;120:2175-86 pubmed..Expression continues throughout embryonic and larval development. This expression pattern suggests CEH-22 plays a key role in pharyngeal muscle-specific activity of the myo-2 enhancer. ..
- Kinzler K, Nilbert M, Su L, Vogelstein B, Bryan T, Levy D, et al. Identification of FAP locus genes from chromosome 5q21. Science. 1991;253:661-5 pubmed..Both genes were also expressed in a wide variety of tissues. Further studies of MCC and APC and their potential interaction should prove useful for understanding colorectal neoplasia. ..
- Wawrzynow A, Theibert J, Murphy C, Jona I, Martonosi A, Collins J. Sarcolipin, the "proteolipid" of skeletal muscle sarcoplasmic reticulum, is a unique, amphipathic, 31-residue peptide. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1992;298:620-3 pubmed..The molecular weight calculated from the sequence, 3733, agrees with that measured by fast atom bombardment mass spectrometry, showing that sarcolipin contains no attached fatty acyl or other prosthetic groups. ..
- Cox R, Spradling A. Clueless, a conserved Drosophila gene required for mitochondrial subcellular localization, interacts genetically with parkin. Dis Model Mech. 2009;2:490-9 pubmed publisher..Disruption of the Clu pathway may enhance oxidative damage, alter gene expression, cause mitochondria to cluster at microtubule plus ends, and lead eventually to mitochondrial failure. ..
- Harfe B, Vaz Gomes A, Kenyon C, Liu J, Krause M, Fire A. Analysis of a Caenorhabditis elegans Twist homolog identifies conserved and divergent aspects of mesodermal patterning. Genes Dev. 1998;12:2623-35 pubmed..These results suggest the possibility that a conserved pathway may be used for diverse functions in mesodermal specification. ..
- Masuda K, Marasa B, Martindale J, Halushka M, Gorospe M. Tissue- and age-dependent expression of RNA-binding proteins that influence mRNA turnover and translation. Aging (Albany NY). 2009;1:681-98 pubmed..Conversely, TTP levels increased in senescent HDFs, while TTP levels decreased with advancing age. Our studies provide a framework for the study of human TTR-RBP function in different tissues, throughout the human life span. ..
- Harfe B, Fire A. Muscle and nerve-specific regulation of a novel NK-2 class homeodomain factor in Caenorhabditis elegans. Development. 1998;125:421-9 pubmed..briggsae contains a close homologue of C. elegans ceh-24 including a highly conserved and functionally equivalent set of cis-acting control signals. ..
- Fyrberg C, Becker J, Barthmaier P, Mahaffey J, Fyrberg E. A Drosophila muscle-specific gene related to the mouse quaking locus. Gene. 1997;197:315-23 pubmed..Finally, we have used the gene, which we have named quaking-related 93F (qkr93F), to identify a family of closely related KH domains. ..
- Good J, Khurana R, Mayer R, Cintra W, Albuquerque E. Pathophysiological studies of neuromuscular function in subacute organophosphate poisoning induced by phosmet. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1993;56:290-4 pubmed..Electronmicroscopy revealed degeneration and regeneration of the endplates. This study demonstrates that OP poisoning due to phosmet can produce a subacute postsynaptic neuromuscular syndrome without marked symptoms of acute toxicity. ..
- Fyrberg E, Fyrberg C, Beall C, Saville D. Drosophila melanogaster troponin-T mutations engender three distinct syndromes of myofibrillar abnormalities. J Mol Biol. 1990;216:657-75 pubmed publisher..The final mutation, upheldwhu, reduces the diameter of the myofibril lattice by approximately one-half. We propose hypotheses to explain how each troponin-T mutation engenders the observed myofibrillar defects...
- Kumar R, Madanikia S, Starmer H, Yang W, Murano E, Alcorn S, et al. Radiation dose to the floor of mouth muscles predicts swallowing complications following chemoradiation in oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Oncol. 2014;50:65-70 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that radiation dose to these muscles may be important in the development of dysphagia...