Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on muscle proteins in Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Locale: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Topic: muscle proteins
- Templin A, Samarasekera T, Meier D, Hogan M, Mellati M, Crow M, et al. Apoptosis Repressor With Caspase Recruitment Domain Ameliorates Amyloid-Induced ?-Cell Apoptosis and JNK Pathway Activation. Diabetes. 2017;66:2636-2645 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that ARC overexpression diminishes amyloid-induced JNK pathway activation and apoptosis in the ?-cell, a strategy that may reduce ?-cell loss in type 2 diabetes. ..
- Kontrogianni Konstantopoulos A, Bloch R. Obscurin: a multitasking muscle giant. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 2005;26:419-26 pubmed
- Gao W, Murray C, Tian Y, Zhong X, DuMond J, Shen X, et al. Nitroxyl-mediated disulfide bond formation between cardiac myofilament cysteines enhances contractile function. Circ Res. 2012;111:1002-11 pubmed..These findings indicate a novel, redox-based modulation of the contractile apparatus, which positively impacts myocardial function, providing further mechanistic insight for HNO as a therapeutic agent. ..
- Fung E, Lanahan A, Worley P, Huganir R. Identification of a Torpedo homolog of Sam68 that interacts with the synapse organizing protein rapsyn. FEBS Lett. 1998;437:29-33 pubmed..One of the clones we have identified is a Torpedo californica homolog of the Src-associated in mitosis protein (Sam68). We further show that Sam68, like rapsyn, is localized at the neuromuscular junction. ..
- Kingsbury T, Cunningham K. A conserved family of calcineurin regulators. Genes Dev. 2000;14:1595-604 pubmed
- Azene E, Xue T, Li R. Molecular basis of the effect of potassium on heterologously expressed pacemaker (HCN) channels. J Physiol. 2003;547:349-56 pubmed..We conclude that gating and permeation of HCN channels are coupled, and that modulation of this 'pore-to-gate' coupling by external K+ is isoform-specific. ..
- Antolik C, Catino D, O Neill A, Resneck W, Ursitti J, Bloch R. The actin binding domain of ACF7 binds directly to the tetratricopeptide repeat domains of rapsyn. Neuroscience. 2007;145:56-65 pubmed..These results suggest that, in mammalian skeletal muscle, AChRs are immobilized in the membrane through rapsyn-mediated anchoring to an ACF7-containing network that in turn is linked to the actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Yang J, Everett A. Hepatoma-derived growth factor represses SET and MYND domain containing 1 gene expression through interaction with C-terminal binding protein. J Mol Biol. 2009;386:938-50 pubmed publisher..Because of moderate conservation of the CtBP binding motif in HDGF family members, trans-repressive activity mediated by CtBP may be a common function among HDGF proteins. ..
- Ackermann M, Ziman A, Strong J, Zhang Y, Hartford A, Ward C, et al. Integrity of the network sarcoplasmic reticulum in skeletal muscle requires small ankyrin 1. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:3619-30 pubmed publisher..Consistent with the loss of SERCA, uptake and release of Ca(2+) were significantly inhibited. Our results show that sAnk1 stabilizes the nSR and that its absence causes the nSR to fragment into distinct membrane compartments. ..
- Zaiman A, Damico R, Thoms Chesley A, Files D, Kesari P, Johnston L, et al. A critical role for the protein apoptosis repressor with caspase recruitment domain in hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension. Circulation. 2011;124:2533-42 pubmed publisher..These data show that ARC, previously unlinked to pulmonary hypertension, is a critical determinant of vascular remodeling in this syndrome. ..
- Xu J, Gao J, Li J, Xue L, Clark K, Ekker S, et al. Functional analysis of slow myosin heavy chain 1 and myomesin-3 in sarcomere organization in zebrafish embryonic slow muscles. J Genet Genomics. 2012;39:69-80 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies indicate that myosin thick filaments are required for M-line organization and M-line localization of myomesin-3. In contrast, myomesin-3 is dispensable for sarcomere organization in slow muscles...
- Antolik C, Catino D, Resneck W, Bloch R. The tetratricopeptide repeat domains of rapsyn bind directly to cytoplasmic sequences of the muscle-specific kinase. Neuroscience. 2006;141:87-100 pubmed..Our results support a model in which the tetratricopeptide repeat domains of rapsyn bind directly to the cytoplasmic portion of MuSK, which could thereby serve as an initial scaffold for the clustering of acetylcholine receptors. ..
- Niewiadomska A, Tian C, Tan L, Wang T, Sarkis P, Yu X. Differential inhibition of long interspersed element 1 by APOBEC3 does not correlate with high-molecular-mass-complex formation or P-body association. J Virol. 2007;81:9577-83 pubmed..The catalytic domain of APOBEC3 proteins may be important for proper folding and target factors such as RNA or protein interaction in addition to cytidine deamination. ..
- Zhang J. New insights into the contribution of arterial NCX to the regulation of myogenic tone and blood pressure. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2013;961:329-43 pubmed publisher..Arterial NCX expression and mechanisms that control the local (sub-plasma membrane) Na(+) gradient, including cation-selective receptor-operated channels containing TRPC6, regulate arterial Ca(2+) and constriction, and thus BP. ..
- Inman K, Yang R, Rustandi R, Miller K, Baldisseri D, Weber D. Solution NMR structure of S100B bound to the high-affinity target peptide TRTK-12. J Mol Biol. 2002;324:1003-14 pubmed
- Kontrogianni Konstantopoulos A, Bloch R. The hydrophilic domain of small ankyrin-1 interacts with the two N-terminal immunoglobulin domains of titin. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:3985-91 pubmed..Our results indicate that titin ZIg1/2 can bind sAnk1 in muscle homogenates and suggest a role for these proteins in organizing the SR around the contractile apparatus at the Z-line. ..
- Wawrzynow A, Theibert J, Murphy C, Jona I, Martonosi A, Collins J. Sarcolipin, the "proteolipid" of skeletal muscle sarcoplasmic reticulum, is a unique, amphipathic, 31-residue peptide. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1992;298:620-3 pubmed..The molecular weight calculated from the sequence, 3733, agrees with that measured by fast atom bombardment mass spectrometry, showing that sarcolipin contains no attached fatty acyl or other prosthetic groups. ..
- Biswas S, Deschenes I, Disilvestre D, Tian Y, Halperin V, Tomaselli G. Calmodulin regulation of Nav1.4 current: role of binding to the carboxyl terminus. J Gen Physiol. 2008;131:197-209 pubmed publisher..4 channels that binds to the CT in a conformation-independent fashion, modulating the voltage dependence of inactivation and facilitating trafficking to the surface membrane. ..
- Bowman A, Catino D, Strong J, Randall W, Kontrogianni Konstantopoulos A, Bloch R. The rho-guanine nucleotide exchange factor domain of obscurin regulates assembly of titin at the Z-disk through interactions with Ran binding protein 9. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:3782-92 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the Rho-GEF domain interacts with RanBP9 and that both can interact with the N-terminal region of titin to influence the formation of the Z-disk and A/I junction. ..
- Cooper M, Porter J, Young K, Beachy P. Teratogen-mediated inhibition of target tissue response to Shh signaling. Science. 1998;280:1603-7 pubmed
- Roche J, Ru L, O Neill A, Resneck W, Lovering R, Bloch R. Unmasking potential intracellular roles for dysferlin through improved immunolabeling methods. J Histochem Cytochem. 2011;59:964-75 pubmed publisher..They suggest that dysferlin has an important function in the internal membrane systems of skeletal muscle, involved in calcium homeostasis and excitation-contraction coupling. ..
- Yao Y, Duh E. VEGF selectively induces Down syndrome critical region 1 gene expression in endothelial cells: a mechanism for feedback regulation of angiogenesis?. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;321:648-56 pubmed..Our results indicate that DSCR1 up-regulation may represent a potential molecular mechanism underlying the regulation of angiogenic genes activated by the calcineurin-NFAT signaling pathway in endothelial cells. ..
- Shilagardi K, Li S, Luo F, Marikar F, Duan R, Jin P, et al. Actin-propelled invasive membrane protrusions promote fusogenic protein engagement during cell-cell fusion. Science. 2013;340:359-63 pubmed publisher..This de novo cell fusion culture system reveals a general role for actin-propelled invasive membrane protrusions in driving fusogenic protein engagement during cell-cell fusion. ..
- Miyamoto H, Sharma R, Illei P, Epstein J. Pitfalls in the use of smoothelin to identify muscularis propria invasion by urothelial carcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol. 2010;34:418-22 pubmed publisher..However, due to the overlap of intensity between MM and MP, caution should be maintained while using smoothelin immunohistochemistry as a diagnostic tool for MP invasion. ..
- Ford Speelman D, Roche J, Bowman A, Bloch R. The rho-guanine nucleotide exchange factor domain of obscurin activates rhoA signaling in skeletal muscle. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:3905-17 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that obscurin's rhoGEF domain signals at least in part by inducing rhoA expression and activation, and altering the expression of downstream kinases in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Tegla C, Cudrici C, Azimzadeh P, Singh A, Trippe R, Khan A, et al. Dual role of Response gene to complement-32 in multiple sclerosis. Exp Mol Pathol. 2013;94:17-28 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that RGC-32 plays a dual role in MS, both as a regulator of T-cells mediated apoptosis and as a promoter of TGF-?-mediated profibrotic effects in astrocytes. ..
- Fosbrink M, Cudrici C, Tegla C, Soloviova K, Ito T, Vlaicu S, et al. Response gene to complement 32 is required for C5b-9 induced cell cycle activation in endothelial cells. Exp Mol Pathol. 2009;86:87-94 pubmed publisher..All these data together suggest that cell cycle induction by C5b-9 in AEC is RGC-32 dependent and this is in part through regulation of Akt and growth factor release. ..
- Xue T, Marban E, Li R. Dominant-negative suppression of HCN1- and HCN2-encoded pacemaker currents by an engineered HCN1 construct: insights into structure-function relationships and multimerization. Circ Res. 2002;90:1267-73 pubmed..We conclude that the GYG motif is a critical determinant of ion permeation for HCN channels, and that HCN1 and HCN2 readily coassemble to form heterotetrameric complexes. ..
- Kontrogianni Konstantopoulos A, Jones E, van Rossum D, Bloch R. Obscurin is a ligand for small ankyrin 1 in skeletal muscle. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:1138-48 pubmed..Our findings suggest that obscurin binds sAnk1, and are the first to document a specific and direct interaction between proteins of the sarcomere and the SR. ..
- Tegla C, Azimzadeh P, Andrian Albescu M, Martín A, Cudrici C, Trippe R, et al. SIRT1 is decreased during relapses in patients with multiple sclerosis. Exp Mol Pathol. 2014;96:139-48 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that SIRT1 may represent a biomarker of relapses and a potential new target for therapeutic intervention in MS. ..
- Borzok M, Catino D, Nicholson J, Kontrogianni Konstantopoulos A, Bloch R. Mapping the binding site on small ankyrin 1 for obscurin. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:32384-96 pubmed..Thus, structural and mutational studies of the binding region on sAnk1 for obscurin suggest that it consists of two ankyrin repeats with very similar structures. ..
- O Driscoll C, Coulter J, Bressler J. Induction of a trophoblast-like phenotype by hydralazine in the p19 embryonic carcinoma cell line. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1833:460-7 pubmed publisher..In summary, hydralazine induces P19 cells to assume a trophoblast-like phenotype by upregulating Tead4 expression through a mechanism involving DNA demethylation. ..
- Willis C, Oashi T, Busby B, MacKerell A, Bloch R. Hydrophobic residues in small ankyrin 1 participate in binding to obscurin. Mol Membr Biol. 2012;29:36-51 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that hydrophobic interactions contribute to the higher affinity of Obsc????????? for sAnk1 and to the dominant role exhibited by this sequence in binding. ..
- Chen H, Cohen D, Choudhury D, Kioka N, Craig S. Spatial distribution and functional significance of activated vinculin in living cells. J Cell Biol. 2005;169:459-70 pubmed..Beyond providing direct evidence that vinculin is activated at focal adhesions, this study shows that the specific functional conformation correlates with regional cellular dynamics. ..
- Fosbrink M, Cudrici C, Niculescu F, Badea T, David S, Shamsuddin A, et al. Overexpression of RGC-32 in colon cancer and other tumors. Exp Mol Pathol. 2005;78:116-22 pubmed..Our data suggest that RGC-32 overexpression might be part of the deregulation of the cell cycle that is required for the growth of tumor cells. ..
- Sahasrabuddhe N, Barbhuiya M, Bhunia S, Subbannayya T, Gowda H, Advani J, et al. Identification of prosaposin and transgelin as potential biomarkers for gallbladder cancer using quantitative proteomics. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014;446:863-9 pubmed publisher..Our study provides the first large scale proteomic characterization of gallbladder cancer which will serve as a resource for future discovery of biomarkers for gallbladder cancer. ..
- Pulina M, Zulian A, Baryshnikov S, Linde C, Karashima E, Hamlyn J, et al. Cross talk between plasma membrane Na(+)/Ca (2+) exchanger-1 and TRPC/Orai-containing channels: key players in arterial hypertension. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2013;961:365-74 pubmed publisher..Enhanced expression and function of ASM NCX1 and TRPC/Orai1-containing channels in hypertension implies that these proteins are potential targets for pharmacological intervention. ..
- Fyrberg E, Beall C. Genetic approaches to myofibril form and function in Drosophila. Trends Genet. 1990;6:126-31 pubmed..Molecular genetic approaches are advancing our understanding of myofibril structure and assembly, and may offer a novel and useful approach for investigating the crossbridge cycle. We review recent progress in Drosophila. ..
- Hu R, Lee M, Johnson L, Feinberg A. A novel human homologue of yeast nucleosome assembly protein, 65 kb centromeric to the p57KIP2 gene, is biallelically expressed in fetal and adult tissues. Hum Mol Genet. 1996;5:1743-8 pubmed..hNAP2 diverges in its expression pattern from IGF2, H19, and p57KIP2, and it shows biallelic expression in all tissues tested. Thus, hNAP2 is functionally insulated from the imprinting domain of 11p15. ..
- Jin P, Duan R, Luo F, Zhang G, Hong S, Chen E. Competition between Blown fuse and WASP for WIP binding regulates the dynamics of WASP-dependent actin polymerization in vivo. Dev Cell. 2011;20:623-38 pubmed publisher..These studies identify a regulatory protein that modulates the actin cytoskeletal dynamics by controlling the stability of the WASP-WIP complex. ..
- Nguyen T, Wang D, Rhodes T, George A. Divergent biophysical defects caused by mutant sodium channels in dilated cardiomyopathy with arrhythmia. Circ Res. 2008;102:364-71 pubmed
- Mehta S, Li H, Hogan P, Cunningham K. Domain architecture of the regulators of calcineurin (RCANs) and identification of a divergent RCAN in yeast. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:2777-93 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a primary role for canonical RCANs in facilitating calcineurin signaling, but canonical RCANs may secondarily inhibit calcineurin signaling by interfering with substrate interactions and enzymatic activity. ..
- Jackson T, Taylor H, Sharma D, Desiderio S, Danoff S. Vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2: counter-regulation by the transcription factors, TFII-I and TFII-IRD1. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:29856-63 pubmed..We found that TFII-I is capable of acting at both basal and regulatory sites in one promoter and that the human VEGFR-2 promoter is functionally counter-regulated by TFII-I and TFII-IRD1. ..
- Williams M, Bloch R. Differential distribution of dystrophin and beta-spectrin at the sarcolemma of fast twitch skeletal muscle fibers. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 1999;20:383-93 pubmed..The increased fragility of the sarcolemma in patients with Duchennes muscular dystrophy may be explained in part by the absence of dystrophin not only from costameres, but also from intercostameric regions. ..
- Du S, Li H, Bian Y, Zhong Y. Heat-shock protein 90alpha1 is required for organized myofibril assembly in skeletal muscles of zebrafish embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:554-9 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Hsp90alpha1 plays an important role in muscle development, likely through facilitating myosin folding and assembly into organized myofibril filaments...
- Kontrogianni Konstantopoulos A, Catino D, Strong J, Randall W, Bloch R. Obscurin regulates the organization of myosin into A bands. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2004;287:C209-17 pubmed..Thus our findings suggest that the COOH-terminal region of obscurin interacts with sarcomeric myosin and may play a critical role in its ability to assemble into A bands in striated muscle. ..
- Hotta K, Gustafson T, Yoshioka S, Ortmeyer H, Bodkin N, Hansen B. Relationships of PPARgamma and PPARgamma2 mRNA levels to obesity, diabetes and hyperinsulinaemia in rhesus monkeys. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1998;22:1000-10 pubmed..The ratio of PPARgamma2 mRNA to total PPARgamma mRNA is related to obesity in the rhesus monkey and mRNA expression of PPARgamma1, PPARgamma2, C/EBPalpha, LPL and GLUT4 appear to be coordinated in vivo...
- Sha Q, Robinson S, McCulle S, Shorofsky S, Welling P, Goldman L, et al. An antisense oligonucleotide against H1 inhibits the classical sodium current but not ICa(TTX) in rat ventricular cells. J Physiol. 2003;547:435-40 pubmed..04 +/- 0.63 pA pF-1, 15 cells, for untreated controls, scrambled controls and AON treated, respectively). Hence, ICa(TTX), which is functionally distinct from the classical cardiac sodium current, is encoded by a distinct gene. ..
- Zastrow M, Flaherty D, Benian G, Wilson K. Nuclear titin interacts with A- and B-type lamins in vitro and in vivo. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:239-49 pubmed..We conclude that the C-terminus of nuclear titin binds lamins in vivo and might contribute to nuclear organization during interphase. ..
- Neely J, Amiry Moghaddam M, Ottersen O, Froehner S, Agre P, Adams M. Syntrophin-dependent expression and localization of Aquaporin-4 water channel protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:14108-13 pubmed..These results demonstrate that perivascular localization of AQP4 in brain requires alpha-Syn, and stability of AQP4 in the membrane is increased by the C-terminal PDZ-binding motif. ..
- Varney T, Ho H, Petty C, Blumberg D. A novel disintegrin domain protein affects early cell type specification and pattern formation in Dictyostelium. Development. 2002;129:2381-9 pubmed..Thus, in spite of its simpler structure, the Dictyostelium ampA protein carries out the same diversity of functions that have been observed for the ADAM and ADAMTS families in metazoans. ..
- Ackermann M, Hu L, Bowman A, Bloch R, Kontrogianni Konstantopoulos A. Obscurin interacts with a novel isoform of MyBP-C slow at the periphery of the sarcomeric M-band and regulates thick filament assembly. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2963-78 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our experiments identify a new ligand of obscurin at the M-band, MyBP-C slow variant-1 and suggest that their interaction contributes to the assembly of M- and A-bands. ..
- Hu L, Kontrogianni Konstantopoulos A. The kinase domains of obscurin interact with intercellular adhesion proteins. FASEB J. 2013;27:2001-12 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our studies demonstrate that the obscurin kinase domains are enzymatically active and may be involved in the regulation of cell adhesion. ..
- Liu J. Endogenous protein inhibitors of calcineurin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;311:1103-9 pubmed..These endogenous calcineurin inhibitors are throwing new light on the function and regulation of calcineurin in a wide variety of cellular processes and cell types. ..
- Kooij V, Holewinski R, Murphy A, Van Eyk J. Characterization of the cardiac myosin binding protein-C phosphoproteome in healthy and failing human hearts. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2013;60:116-20 pubmed publisher..To date, the functional importance of Ser286 and Thr290 is unknown. In addition, 16 sites were identified after in vitro kinase incubation. The data have been deposited to the ProteomeXchange with identifier PXD000158. ..
- Liu Y, Vidensky S, RUGGIERO A, Maier S, Sitte H, Rothstein J. Reticulon RTN2B regulates trafficking and function of neuronal glutamate transporter EAAC1. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:6561-71 pubmed..These studies indicate that transporter exit from the ER controlled by the interaction with its ER binding partner represents a critical regulatory step in glutamate transporter trafficking to the cell surface. ..
- Kontrogianni Konstantopoulos A, Catino D, Strong J, Sutter S, Borisov A, Pumplin D, et al. Obscurin modulates the assembly and organization of sarcomeres and the sarcoplasmic reticulum. FASEB J. 2006;20:2102-11 pubmed..Our findings suggest that obscurin is required for the assembly of the M-band and A-band and for the regular alignment of the network SR around the contractile apparatus. ..
- Xu R, Andres Mateos E, Mejias R, MacDonald E, Leinwand L, Merriman D, et al. Hibernating squirrel muscle activates the endurance exercise pathway despite prolonged immobilization. Exp Neurol. 2013;247:392-401 pubmed publisher..This PGC-1? regulated pathway may be a potential therapeutic target promoting skeletal muscle homeostasis and oxidative balance to prevent muscle loss in a variety of inherited and acquired neuromuscular disease conditions. ..
- Takimoto E, Soergel D, Janssen P, Stull L, Kass D, Murphy A. Frequency- and afterload-dependent cardiac modulation in vivo by troponin I with constitutively active protein kinase A phosphorylation sites. Circ Res. 2004;94:496-504 pubmed..These results have implications for cardiac failure in which force-frequency modulation is blunted and afterload relaxation sensitivity increased in association with diminished PKA TnI phosphorylation. ..
- Vlaicu S, Tegla C, Cudrici C, Fosbrink M, Nguyen V, Azimzadeh P, et al. Epigenetic modifications induced by RGC-32 in colon cancer. Exp Mol Pathol. 2010;88:67-76 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that RGC-32 may contribute to the development of colon cancer by regulating chromatin assembly. ..