Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mice in Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Locale: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Publications616 found, 100 shown here
- Patel J, Mehta J, Belosay A, Sabnis G, Khandelwal A, Brodie A, et al. Novel retinoic acid metabolism blocking agents have potent inhibitory activities on human breast cancer cells and tumour growth. Br J Cancer. 2007;96:1204-15 pubmed..Our results suggest that our RAMBAs, especially VN/14-1 may be useful novel therapy for breast cancer. ..
- Jia Z, Moulson C, Pei Z, Miner J, Watkins P. Fatty acid transport protein 4 is the principal very long chain fatty acyl-CoA synthetase in skin fibroblasts. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:20573-83 pubmed..FATP4-deficient cells also contained abnormal neutral lipid droplets. These additional defects indicate that metabolic abnormalities in these cells are not limited to very long chain fatty acids. ..
- Ehirchiou D, Xiong Y, Xu G, Chen W, Shi Y, Zhang L. CD11b facilitates the development of peripheral tolerance by suppressing Th17 differentiation. J Exp Med. 2007;204:1519-24 pubmed..Together, we conclude that CD11b facilitates oral tolerance by suppressing Th17 immune differentiation. ..
- Lovering R, O Neill A, Roche J, Bloch R. Identification of skeletal muscle mutations in tail snips from neonatal mice using immunohistochemistry. Biotechniques. 2007;42:702, 704 pubmed
- Pomper M, Hammond H, Yu X, Ye Z, Foss C, Lin D, et al. Serial imaging of human embryonic stem-cell engraftment and teratoma formation in live mouse models. Cell Res. 2009;19:370-9 pubmed publisher..Noninvasive imaging methods such as these may enable us to monitor the presence and distribution of transplanted human stem cells repetitively within live recipients over a long term through the expression of a reporter gene. ..
- Cano M, Karagiannis E, Soliman M, Bakir B, Zhuang W, Popel A, et al. A peptide derived from type 1 thrombospondin repeat-containing protein WISP-1 inhibits corneal and choroidal neovascularization. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:3840-5 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate potential for therapeutic application in prevalent ocular disease. ..
- Matejuk A, Beardall M, Xu Y, Tian Q, Phillips D, Alabyev B, et al. Exclusion of natural autoantibody-producing B cells from IgG memory B cell compartment during T cell-dependent immune responses. J Immunol. 2009;182:7634-43 pubmed publisher..This would explain, at least in part, why NAAs do not cause autoimmunity in most individuals. ..
- Hanson E, Clements V, Sinha P, Ilkovitch D, Ostrand Rosenberg S. Myeloid-derived suppressor cells down-regulate L-selectin expression on CD4+ and CD8+ T cells. J Immunol. 2009;183:937-44 pubmed publisher..Therefore, MDSC down-regulate L-selectin levels on naive T cells, decreasing their ability to home to sites where they would be activated. This is another mechanism by which MDSC inhibit antitumor immunity. ..
- Hegde K, Kovtun S, Varma S. Intraocular penetration of pyruvate following its topical administration in mice. Mol Cell Biochem. 2010;338:87-90 pubmed publisher..The results are therefore considered pharmacological significant from the point of view of its potential use for topical treatment of cataracts induced by oxidative stress and diabetes. ..
- Maul R, Saribasak H, Martomo S, McClure R, Yang W, Vaisman A, et al. Uracil residues dependent on the deaminase AID in immunoglobulin gene variable and switch regions. Nat Immunol. 2011;12:70-6 pubmed publisher..Our data provide direct evidence for the model that AID functions by deaminating cytosine residues in DNA. ..
- Hu J, Park J, Park S, Xiao B, Dehoff M, Kim S, et al. Homeostatic scaling requires group I mGluR activation mediated by Homer1a. Neuron. 2010;68:1128-42 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal an elegant interplay of mechanisms that underlie Hebbian and non-Hebbian plasticity. ..
- Schmidt Kittler O, Zhu J, Yang J, Liu G, Hendricks W, Lengauer C, et al. PI3K? inhibitors that inhibit metastasis. Oncotarget. 2010;1:339-48 pubmed..These data support the idea that PI3K? plays an important role in the metastatic process and suggest a more informed strategy for selecting drugs worthy of further development for clinical application. ..
- Liu D, Xing J, Trink B, Xing M. BRAF mutation-selective inhibition of thyroid cancer cells by the novel MEK inhibitor RDEA119 and genetic-potentiated synergism with the mTOR inhibitor temsirolimus. Int J Cancer. 2010;127:2965-73 pubmed publisher..Thus, these results demonstrated the important therapeutic potential of the novel MEK inhibitor RDEA119 and its synergism with temsirolimus in thyroid cancer...
- Norris L, Norris D. Efficacy of long-lasting insecticidal nets in use in Macha, Zambia, against the local Anopheles arabiensis population. Malar J. 2011;10:254 pubmed publisher..arabiensis. Continued monitoring and assessment of both the vector population and the efficacy of LLINs in use is necessary in order to appropriately modify vector control operations and prevent the development of pyrethroid resistance. ..
- Zhen G, Kim Y, Li R, Yocum J, Kapoor N, Langer J, et al. PGE2 EP1 receptor exacerbated neurotoxicity in a mouse model of cerebral ischemia and Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiol Aging. 2012;33:2215-9 pubmed publisher..Exploring potential therapeutic agent targeting EP1 receptor could potentially benefit treatments for stroke and AD patients. ..
- Yeh T, Kowalska A, Scipioni B, Cheong F, Zheng M, Derewenda U, et al. Dynactin helps target Polo-like kinase 1 to kinetochores via its left-handed beta-helical p27 subunit. EMBO J. 2013;32:1023-35 pubmed publisher..We conclude that dynactin plays a previously undescribed regulatory role in the spindle assembly checkpoint by recruiting Plk1 to kinetochores and facilitating phosphorylation of important downstream targets...
- Zhao Y, Laws M, Guillen V, Ziegler Y, Min J, Sharma A, et al. Structurally Novel Antiestrogens Elicit Differential Responses from Constitutively Active Mutant Estrogen Receptors in Breast Cancer Cells and Tumors. Cancer Res. 2017;77:5602-5613 pubmed publisher..i>Cancer Res; 77(20); 5602-13. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Geng D, Zheng L, Srivastava R, Asprodites N, Velasco Gonzalez C, Davila E. When Toll-like receptor and T-cell receptor signals collide: a mechanism for enhanced CD8 T-cell effector function. Blood. 2010;116:3494-504 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these findings offer the opportunity for improving the efficacy of vaccines and T cell-based immunotherapies by targeting TLR-MyD88 signaling within T cells. ..
- Bulleit R, Cui H, Wang J, Lin X. NMDA receptor activation in differentiating cerebellar cell cultures regulates the expression of a new POU gene, Cns-1. J Neurosci. 1994;14:1584-95 pubmed..This change in Cns-1 expression may modify phenotypic characteristics of these cultured cells. ..
- Sheikh K, Sun J, Liu Y, Kawai H, Crawford T, Proia R, et al. Mice lacking complex gangliosides develop Wallerian degeneration and myelination defects. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:7532-7 pubmed..Yamamoto, A., Furukawa, K., Yamashiro, S., Shin, M., Okada, M., Fukumoto, S., Haraguchi, M., Takeda, N., Fujimura, K., et al. (1996) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 93, 10662-10667]. ..
- Lesuisse C, Xu G, Anderson J, Wong M, Jankowsky J, Holtz G, et al. Hyper-expression of human apolipoprotein E4 in astroglia and neurons does not enhance amyloid deposition in transgenic mice. Hum Mol Genet. 2001;10:2525-37 pubmed..We suggest that these data are best explained by proposing that the mechanisms by which Apo E influences A beta deposition involves an aspect of its normal function that is not augmented by hyper-expression. ..
- Bi S, Moran T. Actions of CCK in the controls of food intake and body weight: lessons from the CCK-A receptor deficient OLETF rat. Neuropeptides. 2002;36:171-81 pubmed..Thus, the obesity in the OLETF rats may be the outcome of two regulatory disruptions, one depending upon a peripheral within meal satiety pathway and the other depending upon a central pathway critical to overall energy balance. ..
- Wang Q, Cleaves R, Kummalue T, Nerlov C, Friedman A. Cell cycle inhibition mediated by the outer surface of the C/EBPalpha basic region is required but not sufficient for granulopoiesis. Oncogene. 2003;22:2548-57 pubmed..Inhibition of G1 progression using mimosine increased induction of late markers by G-CSF. Thus, both DNA binding and cell cycle arrest, mediated by opposite surfaces of the C/EBPalpha basic region, are required for granulopoiesis. ..
- Mhaka A, Gady A, Rosen D, Lo K, Gillies S, Denmeade S. Use of methotrexate-based peptide substrates to characterize the substrate specificity of prostate-specific membrane antigen (PSMA). Cancer Biol Ther. 2004;3:551-8 pubmed..These studies have identified PSMA selective, plasma stable peptide substrates that can be incorporated into prodrugs targeted for activation by PSMA within prostate cancer sites. ..
- Rasoloson D, Shi L, Chong C, Kafsack B, Sullivan D. Copper pathways in Plasmodium falciparum infected erythrocytes indicate an efflux role for the copper P-ATPase. Biochem J. 2004;381:803-11 pubmed..Both the decrease in total copper and the location of the PfCuP-ATPase gene indicate a copper-efflux pathway from the infected erythrocyte. ..
- Fu Y, Zhong H, Wang M, Luo D, Liao H, Maeda H, et al. Intrinsically photosensitive retinal ganglion cells detect light with a vitamin A-based photopigment, melanopsin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:10339-44 pubmed..Finally, we detected no melanopsin in the RPE and no changes in rod and cone sensitivities due to melanopsin ablation. Together, these results strongly suggest that melanopsin is the photopigment in the ipRGCs. ..
- Andrabi S, Kim N, Yu S, Wang H, Koh D, Sasaki M, et al. Poly(ADP-ribose) (PAR) polymer is a death signal. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:18308-13 pubmed..These results reveal PAR polymer as a signaling molecule that induces cell death and suggests that interference with PAR polymer signaling may offer innovative therapeutic approaches for the treatment of cellular injury. ..
- Schweitzer K, Li E, Sidhaye V, Leitch V, Kuznetsov S, King L. Accumulation of aquaporin-1 during hemolysin-induced necrotic cell death. Cell Mol Biol Lett. 2008;13:195-211 pubmed..We conclude that alpha-toxin alters proteasomal processing and leads to intracellular accumulation of AQP1, which may likely contribute to disrupted cell volume homeostasis in infection. ..
- Minor R, Villarreal J, McGraw M, Percival S, Ingram D, De Cabo R. Calorie restriction alters physical performance but not cognition in two models of altered neuroendocrine signaling. Behav Brain Res. 2008;189:202-11 pubmed publisher..We conclude that despite established effects of CR on ARC signaling, our results suggest a mechanistic separation between the two where behavior is concerned. ..
- Cresce A, Dandu R, Burger A, Cappello J, Ghandehari H. Characterization and real-time imaging of gene expression of adenovirus embedded silk-elastinlike protein polymer hydrogels. Mol Pharm. 2008;5:891-7 pubmed publisher..The potential to modulate viral release using SELP hydrogel delivery vehicles that can be injected intratumorally by minimally invasive techniques holds significant promise for the delivery of therapeutic viruses. ..
- Samuels J. Recent advances in the genetics of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2009;11:277-82 pubmed..Despite this complexity, further refinement of the phenotype and developments in molecular and statistical genetics hold promise for further deepening our genetic understanding of OCD in the future. ..
- Prosser B, Hernández Ochoa E, Zimmer D, Schneider M. Simultaneous recording of intramembrane charge movement components and calcium release in wild-type and S100A1-/- muscle fibres. J Physiol. 2009;587:4543-59 pubmed publisher..The decreased Ca(2+) release at each voltage is insufficient to activate Q(gamma) in fibres lacking S100A1. ..
- Li J, Chigurupati S, Agarwal R, Mughal M, Mattson M, Becker K, et al. Possible angiogenic roles for claudin-4 in ovarian cancer. Cancer Biol Ther. 2009;8:1806-14 pubmed..Our data suggest a novel function for claudin-4 in cancer and provide an additional rationale for its common overexpression in human tumors. ..
- Yang Y, Gozen O, Vidensky S, Robinson M, Rothstein J. Epigenetic regulation of neuron-dependent induction of astroglial synaptic protein GLT1. Glia. 2010;58:277-86 pubmed publisher..In summary, hypermethylation on selective CpG sites of the GLT1 promoter is involved in repression of GLT1 promoter activation, but this regulation does not play a role in astroglial dysfunction of EAAT2 expression in patients with ALS. ..
- Kerr C, Cheng L. The dazzle in germ cell differentiation. J Mol Cell Biol. 2010;2:26-9 pubmed publisher..Although factors that Dazl influences during this process have been identified, the underlying mechanisms warrant future studies. ..
- Yustein J, Liu Y, Gao P, Jie C, Le A, Vuica Ross M, et al. Induction of ectopic Myc target gene JAG2 augments hypoxic growth and tumorigenesis in a human B-cell model. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:3534-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the expression of Jagged2 in P493-6 tumors often overlapped with regions of hypoxia. These observations suggest that Notch signaling downstream of Myc enables cells to adapt in the tumor hypoxic microenvironment. ..
- Vorovich E, Ratovitski E. Dual regulation of TERT activity through transcription and splicing by DeltaNP63alpha. Aging (Albany NY). 2008;1:58-67 pubmed..This dual molecular mechanism of telomerase regulation might underline the previously shown effect of DeltaNp63alpha on premature ageing phenotype. ..
- Tan B, Brown D, Xu S, Valle D. PHR1 is a vesicle-bound protein abundantly expressed in mature olfactory neurons. Laryngoscope. 2010;120:1002-10 pubmed publisher..The exact function of Phr1 remains to be discovered. ..
- Chen Y, Aon M, Hsu Y, Soane L, Teng X, McCaffery J, et al. Bcl-xL regulates mitochondrial energetics by stabilizing the inner membrane potential. J Cell Biol. 2011;195:263-76 pubmed publisher..Thus, by bolstering mitochondrial energetic capacity, Bcl-x(L) may contribute importantly to cell survival independently of other Bcl-2 family proteins. ..
- Hirata T, Amano T, Nakatake Y, Amano M, Piao Y, Hoang H, et al. Zscan4 transiently reactivates early embryonic genes during the generation of induced pluripotent stem cells. Sci Rep. 2012;2:208 pubmed publisher..Our work indicates that Zscan4 is a previously unidentified potent natural factor that facilitates the reprogramming process and reactivates early embryonic genes. ..
- Yang Z, Sun R, Grinchuk V, FernÃ¡ndez Blanco J, Blanco J, Notari L, et al. IL-33-induced alterations in murine intestinal function and cytokine responses are MyD88, STAT6, and IL-13 dependent. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2013;304:G381-9 pubmed publisher..Thus manipulating IL-33 or related signaling pathways represents a potential therapeutic strategy for treating inflammatory diseases associated with dysregulated intestinal function. ..
- Chambliss A, Khatau S, Erdenberger N, Robinson D, Hodzic D, Longmore G, et al. The LINC-anchored actin cap connects the extracellular milieu to the nucleus for ultrafast mechanotransduction. Sci Rep. 2013;3:1087 pubmed publisher..These results suggest an interconnected physical pathway for mechanotransduction, from the extracellular milieu to the nucleus...
- Jimenez Gomez Y, Mattison J, Pearson K, Martin Montalvo A, Palacios H, Sossong A, et al. Resveratrol improves adipose insulin signaling and reduces the inflammatory response in adipose tissue of rhesus monkeys on high-fat, high-sugar diet. Cell Metab. 2013;18:533-45 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, chronic administration of resveratrol exerts beneficial metabolic and inflammatory adaptations in visceral WAT from diet-induced obese monkeys. ..
- Stroka K, Jiang H, Chen S, Tong Z, Wirtz D, Sun S, et al. Water permeation drives tumor cell migration in confined microenvironments. Cell. 2014;157:611-23 pubmed publisher..Collectively, this study presents an alternate mechanism of cell migration in confinement that depends on cell-volume regulation via water permeation. ..
- Hsu C, Janicki S, Monteiro M. The first intron of the mouse neurofilament light gene (NF-L) increases gene expression. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1995;32:241-51 pubmed..The intron enhancement of NF-L expression was not promoter-specific and also occurred with the mouse sarcoma virus (MSV) LTR promoter. These data suggest intron sequences may be important in regulating NF gene expression. ..
- McBride D, Choe V, Shapiro J, Brodsky B. Altered collagen structure in mouse tail tendon lacking the alpha 2(I) chain. J Mol Biol. 1997;270:275-84 pubmed
- Wang J, Liu Z, Kofuji P, Burt D. The GABA(A) receptor gamma1-subunit in seizure prone (DBA/2) and resistant (C57BL/6) mice. Brain Res Bull. 1998;45:421-5 pubmed..No differences have been found for the subunit between DBA/2 and C57BL/6 mice either for nucleotide sequence or for level of expression of the subunit's mRNA in whole brain by Northern blots at 3 weeks of age. ..
- Mi Q, Rezanka L, Lustig A, Zhou L, Longo D, Kenny J. The M603 idiotype is lost in the response to phosphocholine in terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase-deficient mice. Eur J Immunol. 2002;32:1139-46 pubmed..These data indicate that production of M603-id antibody is TdT dependent, while generation of M167-id antibody is TdT independent, and that in the absence of competition from M603-like B cells, T15-id B cells can respond to PC-PM. ..
- Ostrand Rosenberg S, Clements V, Terabe M, Park J, Berzofsky J, Dissanayake S. Resistance to metastatic disease in STAT6-deficient mice requires hemopoietic and nonhemopoietic cells and is IFN-gamma dependent. J Immunol. 2002;169:5796-804 pubmed
- Wei X, Sasaki M, Huang H, Dawson V, Dawson T. The orphan nuclear receptor, steroidogenic factor 1, regulates neuronal nitric oxide synthase gene expression in pituitary gonadotropes. Mol Endocrinol. 2002;16:2828-39 pubmed..nNOS, a member of the cytochrome p450 gene family, could be one of the downstream effector genes, which mediates SF-1's reproductive function and developmental patterning. ..
- Kim J, Hung C, Juang J, He L, Kim T, Armstrong D, et al. Comparison of HPV DNA vaccines employing intracellular targeting strategies. Gene Ther. 2004;11:1011-8 pubmed..Our data suggest that the DNA vaccine linking CRT to E7 (CRT/E7) may be a suitable candidate for human trials for the control of HPV infections and HPV-associated lesions. ..
- Otteson D, Liu Y, Lai H, Wang C, Gray S, Jain M, et al. Kruppel-like factor 15, a zinc-finger transcriptional regulator, represses the rhodopsin and interphotoreceptor retinoid-binding protein promoters. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2004;45:2522-30 pubmed
- Ercolini A, Ladle B, Manning E, Pfannenstiel L, Armstrong T, Machiels J, et al. Recruitment of latent pools of high-avidity CD8(+) T cells to the antitumor immune response. J Exp Med. 2005;201:1591-602 pubmed
- Fulton W, Reeves R, Takeya M, De Maio A. A quantitative trait loci analysis to map genes involved in lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammatory response: identification of macrophage scavenger receptor 1 as a candidate gene. J Immunol. 2006;176:3767-73 pubmed..These results suggest that Msr1 is involved in the regulation of the anti-inflammatory process, thus offering a new perspective on the molecular mechanisms involved in endotoxemia and sepsis. ..
- Bowers R, Kim J, Otto T, Lane M. Stable stem cell commitment to the adipocyte lineage by inhibition of DNA methylation: role of the BMP-4 gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:13022-7 pubmed..Together, these studies provide compelling evidence for the participation of BMP-4 in adipocyte lineage determination. ..
- Petrache I, Fijalkowska I, Medler T, Skirball J, Cruz P, Zhen L, et al. alpha-1 antitrypsin inhibits caspase-3 activity, preventing lung endothelial cell apoptosis. Am J Pathol. 2006;169:1155-66 pubmed
- Ogura T, Margolskee R, Tallini Y, Shui B, Kotlikoff M, Lin W. Immuno-localization of vesicular acetylcholine transporter in mouse taste cells and adjacent nerve fibers: indication of acetylcholine release. Cell Tissue Res. 2007;330:17-28 pubmed..Thus, functions of taste receptor cells could be modulated by trigeminal fibers via ACh release as well. ..
- Weissman L, de Souza Pinto N, Mattson M, Bohr V. DNA base excision repair activities in mouse models of Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiol Aging. 2009;30:2080-1 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that unlike in humans, the development of AD-like pathology in the studied mouse models is not associated with deficiencies in BER. ..
- Schaeffer E, Marchionni L, Huang Z, Simons B, Blackman A, Yu W, et al. Androgen-induced programs for prostate epithelial growth and invasion arise in embryogenesis and are reactivated in cancer. Oncogene. 2008;27:7180-91 pubmed publisher..These results credential early prostate development as a reliable and valid model system for the investigation of genes and pathways that drive prostate cancer. ..
- Coulombe P, Kerns M, Fuchs E. Epidermolysis bullosa simplex: a paradigm for disorders of tissue fragility. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:1784-93 pubmed publisher..Here we review how laboratory investigations centered on keratin biology have deepened our understanding of the etiology and pathophysiology of EB simplex and revealed novel avenues for its therapy. ..
- Yan Y, Sabharwal P, Rao M, Sockanathan S. The antioxidant enzyme Prdx1 controls neuronal differentiation by thiol-redox-dependent activation of GDE2. Cell. 2009;138:1209-21 pubmed publisher..These findings define Prdx1 as a pivotal regulator of GDE2 activity and suggest roles for coupled thiol-redox-dependent cascades in controlling neuronal differentiation in the spinal cord. ..
- Brennan S, Meade B, Wang Q, Merchant A, Kowalski J, Matsui W. Mantle cell lymphoma activation enhances bortezomib sensitivity. Blood. 2010;116:4185-91 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that CpG may target clonogenic and resistant ALDH(+) cells as well as improve the activity of proteasome inhibitors in MCL...
- Wong C, Zhang H, Gilkes D, Chen J, Wei H, Chaturvedi P, et al. Inhibitors of hypoxia-inducible factor 1 block breast cancer metastatic niche formation and lung metastasis. J Mol Med (Berl). 2012;90:803-15 pubmed publisher..Patients with HIF-1 ?-overexpressing breast cancers are at increased risk of metastasis and mortality and our results suggest that such patients may benefit from aggressive therapy that includes a HIF inhibitor. ..
- Mannoor K, Matejuk A, Xu Y, Beardall M, Chen C. Expression of natural autoantibodies in MRL-lpr mice protects from lupus nephritis and improves survival. J Immunol. 2012;188:3628-38 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that NAA and NAA-producing B cells play an important role in protection from lupus nephritis and suggest that the NAA B cells may have an immune regulatory function via the provision of IL-10. ..
- Wanjare M, Kuo F, Gerecht S. Derivation and maturation of synthetic and contractile vascular smooth muscle cells from human pluripotent stem cells. Cardiovasc Res. 2013;97:321-30 pubmed publisher..Deriving Con-vSMCs from an integration-free hiPSC line may prove useful for regenerative therapy involving blood vessel differentiation and stabilization. ..
- Sivakumaran V, Stanley B, Tocchetti C, Ballin J, Caceres V, Zhou L, et al. HNO enhances SERCA2a activity and cardiomyocyte function by promoting redox-dependent phospholamban oligomerization. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2013;19:1185-97 pubmed publisher..PLN remains physically associated with SERCA2a; however, less monomeric PLN is available resulting in decreased inhibition of the enzyme. These findings offer new avenues to improve Ca(2+) handling in failing hearts. ..
- Wahlin K, Enke R, Fuller J, Kalesnykas G, Zack D, Merbs S. Epigenetics and cell death: DNA hypermethylation in programmed retinal cell death. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e79140 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a previously unrecognized role for epigenetic mechanisms in the onset and/or progression of programed cell death in the retina. ..
- Yamaji Kegan K, Takimoto E, Zhang A, Weiner N, Meuchel L, Berger A, et al. Hypoxia-induced mitogenic factor (FIZZ1/RELM?) induces endothelial cell apoptosis and subsequent interleukin-4-dependent pulmonary hypertension. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2014;306:L1090-103 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that HIMF contributes to activation of vascular inflammation at least in part by inducing EC apoptosis in the lung. These events lead to subsequent PH. ..
- Roseberry T, Lee A, Lalive A, Wilbrecht L, Bonci A, Kreitzer A. Cell-Type-Specific Control of Brainstem Locomotor Circuits by Basal Ganglia. Cell. 2016;164:526-37 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a fundamental understanding of how BG can initiate or suppress a motor program through cell-type-specific regulation of neurons linked to specific actions. ..
- Schlissel M, Morrow T. Ig heavy chain protein controls B cell development by regulating germ-line transcription and retargeting V(D)J recombination. J Immunol. 1994;153:1645-57 pubmed..We propose that membrane-associated mu protein regulates B cell development by signaling a change in the pattern of unrearranged Ig gene transcriptional activity, thereby retargeting the V(D)J recombinase. ..
- Hwang C, Mandrup S, MacDougald O, Geiman D, Lane M. Transcriptional activation of the mouse obese (ob) gene by CCAAT/enhancer binding protein alpha. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:873-7 pubmed..Mutation of this site blocked transactivation by C/EBP alpha. Taken together, these findings implicate C/EBP alpha as a transcriptional activator of the ob gene promoter and identify the functional C/EBP binding site in the promoter. ..
- Costeas P, Chinsky J. Effects of insulin on the regulation of branched-chain alpha-keto acid dehydrogenase E1 alpha subunit gene expression. Biochem J. 1996;318 ( Pt 1):85-92 pubmed
- Shippenberg T, Hen R, He M. Region-specific enhancement of basal extracellular and cocaine-evoked dopamine levels following constitutive deletion of the Serotonin(1B) receptor. J Neurochem. 2000;75:258-65 pubmed
- Zhang L, Gasper W, Stass S, Ioffe O, Davis M, Mixson A. Angiogenic inhibition mediated by a DNAzyme that targets vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2. Cancer Res. 2002;62:5463-9 pubmed..This study indicates that DNAzymes, targeting angiogenic growth factors of tumors, show promise as antitumor agents. ..
- Dattelbaum J, Lockatell C, Johnson D, Mobley H. UreR, the transcriptional activator of the Proteus mirabilis urease gene cluster, is required for urease activity and virulence in experimental urinary tract infections. Infect Immun. 2003;71:1026-30 pubmed..016), and kidneys (P < or = 0.001) 7 days after inoculation. Thus, UreR is required for basal urease activity in the absence of urea, for induction of urease by urea, and for virulence of P. mirabilis in the urinary tract. ..
- Shu T, Li Y, Keller A, Richards L. The glial sling is a migratory population of developing neurons. Development. 2003;130:2929-37 pubmed..These data indicate that the sling may be a source of, or migratory pathway for, developing neurons in the rostral forebrain, suggesting additional functions for the sling independent of callosal axon guidance. ..
- Hofmann T, Chubanov V, Gudermann T, Montell C. TRPM5 is a voltage-modulated and Ca(2+)-activated monovalent selective cation channel. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1153-8 pubmed..The voltage modulation and rapid kinetics provide TRPM5 with an excellent set of properties for participating in signaling in taste receptors and other excitable cells. ..
- Puche A, Heyward P, Shipley M. Transmembrane dye labeling and immunohistochemical staining of electrophysiologically characterized single neurons. J Neurosci Methods. 2004;137:235-40 pubmed..This new technique provides a reliable means to link the physiology, morphology, and neurochemistry of single identified neurons studied using patch-clamp recording. ..
- Xue T, Cho H, Akar F, Tsang S, Jones S, Marban E, et al. Functional integration of electrically active cardiac derivatives from genetically engineered human embryonic stem cells with quiescent recipient ventricular cardiomyocytes: insights into the development of cell-based pacemakers. Circulation. 2005;111:11-20 pubmed..Our results may lead to an alternative or a supplemental method for correcting defects in cardiac impulse generation, such as cell-based pacemakers. ..
- Hashimoto T, Cui C, Schlessinger D. Repertoire of mouse ectodysplasin-A (EDA-A) isoforms. Gene. 2006;371:42-51 pubmed..Other isoforms, EDA-A5 and A5', for example, activated NF-kappaB through receptors EDAR and XEDAR. These properties make new isoforms candidates for modulators of EDA function. ..
- Gincel D, Regan M, Jin L, Watkins A, Bergles D, Rothstein J. Analysis of cerebellar Purkinje cells using EAAT4 glutamate transporter promoter reporter in mice generated via bacterial artificial chromosome-mediated transgenesis. Exp Neurol. 2007;203:205-12 pubmed..The correlation of promoter activity to protein expression makes the EAAT4 BAC promoter reporter a valuable tool to study regulation of EAAT4 expression. ..
- Fulton A, Ma X, Kundu N. Targeting prostaglandin E EP receptors to inhibit metastasis. Cancer Res. 2006;66:9794-7 pubmed..These initial results indicate that selective targeting of individual EP receptors should be investigated as an approach to exploit the high COX-2 activity in many epithelial malignancies. ..
- Mustafa A, Kumar M, Selvakumar B, Ho G, Ehmsen J, Barrow R, et al. Nitric oxide S-nitrosylates serine racemase, mediating feedback inhibition of D-serine formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:2950-5 pubmed..These findings support a model whereby postsynaptic stimulation of nitric-oxide (NO) formation feeds back to presynaptic cells to S-nitrosylate SR and decrease D-serine availability to postsynaptic NMDA receptors. ..
- Tchantchou F, Xu Y, Wu Y, Christen Y, Luo Y. EGb 761 enhances adult hippocampal neurogenesis and phosphorylation of CREB in transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer's disease. FASEB J. 2007;21:2400-8 pubmed
- Cunningham R, Brazie M, Kanumuru S, E X, Biswas R, Wang F, et al. Sodium-hydrogen exchanger regulatory factor-1 interacts with mouse urate transporter 1 to regulate renal proximal tubule uric acid transport. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007;18:1419-25 pubmed..These findings indicate that NHERF-1 exerts a significant effect on the renal tubular reabsorption of uric acid in the mouse by modulating the BBM abundance of mURAT1 and possibly other BBM uric acid transporters. ..
- Yu Q, Xu M, Sen J. Beta-catenin expression enhances IL-7 receptor signaling in thymocytes during positive selection. J Immunol. 2007;179:126-31 pubmed..Consequently, beta-catenin expression augments IL-7R signaling in thymocytes during positive selection and promotes the development of CD8SP thymocytes. ..
- Yu S, Hackmann K, Gao J, Gao J, He X, Piontek K, et al. Essential role of cleavage of Polycystin-1 at G protein-coupled receptor proteolytic site for kidney tubular structure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:18688-93 pubmed..Our study establishes a critical but restricted role of cleavage for PC1 function and suggests a differential function of the two types of PC1 molecules in vivo. ..