Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on luciferases in Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Locale: Bethesda, Maryland, United States
- Sanz P, Teel L, Alem F, Carvalho H, Darnell S, O Brien A. Detection of Bacillus anthracis spore germination in vivo by bioluminescence imaging. Infect Immun. 2008;76:1036-47 pubmed publisher..In contrast, mediastinal lymph nodes remained nonluminescent throughout the infection. We conclude that in this animal system, the primary site of B. anthracis spore germination is the lungs. ..
- Thompson C, Frazier Jessen M, Rawat R, Nordan R, Brown R. Evaluation of methods for transient transfection of a murine macrophage cell line, RAW 264.7. Biotechniques. 1999;27:824-6, 828-30, 832 pubmed..For all other methods, inter-assay variability fell within this range. The results presented may serve as both a general reference and a guide for reporter gene studies in this or other macrophage cell lines. ..
- Ng S, Li A, Pavlakis G, Ozato K, Kino T. Viral infection increases glucocorticoid-induced interleukin-10 production through ERK-mediated phosphorylation of the glucocorticoid receptor in dendritic cells: potential clinical implications. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e63587 pubmed publisher..The results may further underlie in part known exacerbation of IL-10/T helper-2-related allergic disorders by stress and viral infection. ..
- Stevenson H, Fu S, Pinzone J, Rheey J, Simmens S, Berg P. BP1 transcriptionally activates bcl-2 and inhibits TNFalpha-induced cell death in MCF7 breast cancer cells. Breast Cancer Res. 2007;9:R60 pubmed..These findings suggest mechanisms by which increased BP1 may impart a survival advantage to breast cancer cells, which could lead to increased resistance to therapeutic agents in patients. ..
- McCampbell A, Taylor J, Taye A, Robitschek J, Li M, Walcott J, et al. CREB-binding protein sequestration by expanded polyglutamine. Hum Mol Genet. 2000;9:2197-202 pubmed..Finally, we demonstrate that over-expression of CBP rescues cells from polyglutamine-mediated toxicity in neuronal cell culture. These data support a CBP-sequestration model of polyglutamine expansion disease. ..
- Cai Q, Ferraris J, Burg M. High NaCl increases TonEBP/OREBP mRNA and protein by stabilizing its mRNA. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2005;289:F803-7 pubmed..We concluded that 1) hypertonicity stabilizes TonEBP/OREBP mRNA, contributing to its increase, and 2) stabilization depends on the presence of the 5'-UTR. ..
- Marietta C, Gulam H, Brooks P. A single 8,5'-cyclo-2'-deoxyadenosine lesion in a TATA box prevents binding of the TATA binding protein and strongly reduces transcription in vivo. DNA Repair (Amst). 2002;1:967-75 pubmed..In addition, the approach we used in this study represents a novel method for assessing the effects of DNA lesions in non-transcribed sequences on gene expression in living cells. ..
- Kim Y, Day R. Angiotensin II regulates activation of Bim via Rb/E2F1 during apoptosis: involvement of interaction between AMPK?1/2 and Cdk4. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2012;303:L228-38 pubmed publisher..Together these findings illuminate a novel proapoptotic signaling pathway in endothelial cells, whereby Ang II triggers E2F1-mediated transcriptional upregulation of Bim via activation of AMPK?1/2 and Cdk4. ..
- Laliberte J, Moss B. Appraising the apoptotic mimicry model and the role of phospholipids for poxvirus entry. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:17517-21 pubmed publisher..Our results support a role for PS in poxvirus entry, but demonstrate that other phospholipids, not known to signal uptake of apoptotic debris, can function similarly...
- Wu C, Ashwell J. NEMO recognition of ubiquitinated Bcl10 is required for T cell receptor-mediated NF-kappaB activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:3023-8 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the regulated ubiquitination of Bcl10 and its recognition by NEMO are a critical link between the CBM complex, IKK recruitment, and NF-kappaB activation. ..
- Derfoul A, Juan A, Difilippantonio M, Palanisamy N, Ried T, Sartorelli V. Decreased microRNA-214 levels in breast cancer cells coincides with increased cell proliferation, invasion and accumulation of the Polycomb Ezh2 methyltransferase. Carcinogenesis. 2011;32:1607-14 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that reduced miR-214 levels may contribute to breast tumorigenesis by allowing abnormally elevated Ezh2 accumulation and subsequent unchecked cell proliferation and invasion. ..
- Chung M, Kawamoto S. IRF-2 is involved in up-regulation of nonmuscle myosin heavy chain II-A gene expression during phorbol ester-induced promyelocytic HL-60 differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:56042-52 pubmed..Together, these results indicate that IRF-2 contributes to transcriptional activation of the NMHC-A gene via 32kb-150 during TPA-induced differentiation of HL-60 cells. ..
- Fox J, Myung K. Cell-based high-throughput screens for the discovery of chemotherapeutic agents. Oncotarget. 2012;3:581-5 pubmed..Here we discuss the ATAD5- luciferase assay and expand upon the value of HTS in identifying other potential cancer drugs, focusing on cell-based assays that involve DNA damage or repair pathways. ..
- Shimizu C, Fuda H, Lee Y, Strott C. Transcriptional regulation of human 3'-phosphoadenosine 5'-phosphosulphate synthase 2. Biochem J. 2002;363:263-71 pubmed..Co-transfection experiments using SL2 cells yielded additional support for the involvement of Sp1 in transcriptional regulation of the PAPS synthase 2 gene; the involvement of Sp2 and/or Sp3 remains to be clarified further. ..
- Huynh C, Zieler H. Construction of modular and versatile plasmid vectors for the high-level expression of single or multiple genes in insects and insect cell lines. J Mol Biol. 1999;288:13-20 pubmed..This vector was also used to drive expression of a visible marker, the enhanced green fluorescent protein gene, resulting in readily visible green fluorescent protein expression in C6/36 cells. ..
- Russell R, Chojnacki J, Jones D, Johnson E, Do T, Eggeling C, et al. Astrocytes Resist HIV-1 Fusion but Engulf Infected Macrophage Material. Cell Rep. 2017;18:1473-1483 pubmed publisher..These results have implications for HIV-1 infection of the CNS, viral reservoir formation, and antiretroviral therapy. ..
- Li Z, Tan F, Liewehr D, Steinberg S, Thiele C. In vitro and in vivo inhibition of neuroblastoma tumor cell growth by AKT inhibitor perifosine. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010;102:758-70 pubmed publisher..Perifosine inhibited the activation of AKT and was an effective cytotoxic agent in NB cells in vitro and in vivo. Our study supports the future clinical evaluation of perifosine for the treatment of NB tumors. ..
- Burbelo P, Issa A, Ching K, Cohen J, Iadarola M, Marques A. Rapid, simple, quantitative, and highly sensitive antibody detection for lyme disease. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2010;17:904-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that screening by the LIPS test with VOVO and other B. burgdorferi antigens offers an efficient quantitative approach for evaluation of the antibody responses in patients with Lyme disease. ..
- Ching K, Burbelo P, Gonzalez Begne M, Roberts M, Coca A, Sanz I, et al. Salivary anti-Ro60 and anti-Ro52 antibody profiles to diagnose Sjogren's Syndrome. J Dent Res. 2011;90:445-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that LIPS salivary-based testing for SjS autoantibodies is a practical alternative to serum and compatible with point-of-care testing...
- Fushan A, Simons C, Slack J, Manichaikul A, Drayna D. Allelic polymorphism within the TAS1R3 promoter is associated with human taste sensitivity to sucrose. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1288-93 pubmed publisher..We propose that inherited differences in TAS1R3 transcription account for a substantial fraction of worldwide differences in human sweet taste perception. ..
- Kim J, Yamaori S, Tanabe T, Takagi M, Matsubara T, Okamoto M, et al. Lack of epithelial PPAR? causes cystic adenomatoid malformations in mouse fetal lung. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;491:271-276 pubmed publisher..Taken together, PPAR? may play an important role in fetal lung development via alveolar cell-to-cell adhesion system. ..
- Wang S, Zhang J, Zhang Y, Kern S, Danner R. Nitric oxide-p38 MAPK signaling stabilizes mRNA through AU-rich element-dependent and -independent mechanisms. J Leukoc Biol. 2008;83:982-90 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that NO(*)-p38 MAPK signaling can stabilize mRNA via AURE-dependent and -independent mechanisms. ..
- Steagall W, Lin J, Moss J. The C/A(-18) polymorphism in the surfactant protein B gene influences transcription and protein levels of surfactant protein B. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2007;292:L448-53 pubmed..Differences in amounts of SP-B resulting from the promoter SNP could affect the clinical presentation of pulmonary disease. ..
- Kong H, Yu H, Hong S, Park M, Choi Y, An W, et al. Interaction and functional cooperation of the cancer-amplified transcriptional coactivator activating signal cointegrator-2 and E2F-1 in cell proliferation. Mol Cancer Res. 2003;1:948-58 pubmed
- Rosenfeldt H, Vazquez Prado J, Gutkind J. P-REX2, a novel PI-3-kinase sensitive Rac exchange factor. FEBS Lett. 2004;572:167-71 pubmed..P-REX2 promoted increased levels of GTP-bound Rac that could be further stimulated by enhancing PI-3K activity. Thus, P-REX2 may serve as a novel link between Rac activation and the PI-3 kinase pathway. ..
- Loftus S, Antonellis A, Matera I, Renaud G, Baxter L, Reid D, et al. Gpnmb is a melanoblast-expressed, MITF-dependent gene. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2009;22:99-110 pubmed publisher..Future analysis of the Gpnmb locus will provide insight into the transcriptional regulation of melanocytes, and Gpnmb expression can be used as a marker for analyzing melanocyte development and disease progression. ..
- Zhang G, He P, Gaedcke J, Ghadimi B, Ried T, Yfantis H, et al. FOXL1, a novel candidate tumor suppressor, inhibits tumor aggressiveness and predicts outcome in human pancreatic cancer. Cancer Res. 2013;73:5416-25 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings suggest that FOXL1 expression is a candidate predictor of clinical outcome in patients with resected PDAC and it plays an inhibitory role in pancreatic tumor progression. ..
- Mungunsukh O, Day R. Transforming growth factor-?1 selectively inhibits hepatocyte growth factor expression via a micro-RNA-199-dependent posttranscriptional mechanism. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:2088-97 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings demonstrate that HGF is distinctly regulated at the posttranscriptional level from its antagonist NK2. ..
- Edwards L, Woolard K, Son M, Li A, Lee J, Ene C, et al. Effect of brain- and tumor-derived connective tissue growth factor on glioma invasion. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011;103:1162-78 pubmed publisher..A CTGF-rich microenvironment facilitates CTGF-ITGB1-TrkA complex activation in TIC/TSCs, thereby increasing the invasiveness of malignant gliomas. ..
- Ro H, Dawid I. Modulation of Tcf3 repressor complex composition regulates cdx4 expression in zebrafish. EMBO J. 2011;30:2894-907 pubmed publisher..We propose that the modulation of Tcf3 repressor function by E4f1 assures precise and robust regulation of cdx4 expression in the caudal domain of the embryo. ..
- Bargo S, Raafat A, McCurdy D, Amirjazil I, Shu Y, Traicoff J, et al. Transforming acidic coiled-coil protein-3 (Tacc3) acts as a negative regulator of Notch signaling through binding to CDC10/Ankyrin repeats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;400:606-12 pubmed publisher..The inhibition was reversed in these cells by increasing the levels of Rbpj. Taken together, these results suggest that Tacc3 is a negative regulator of the Notch signaling pathway. ..
- Parker S, Stitzel M, Taylor D, Orozco J, Erdos M, Akiyama J, et al. Chromatin stretch enhancer states drive cell-specific gene regulation and harbor human disease risk variants. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:17921-6 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that stretch enhancers are critical chromatin elements for coordinating cell type-specific regulatory programs and that sequence variation in stretch enhancers affects risk of major common human diseases. ..
- Shah Y, Morimura K, Yang Q, Tanabe T, Takagi M, Gonzalez F. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha regulates a microRNA-mediated signaling cascade responsible for hepatocellular proliferation. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:4238-47 pubmed..Wy-14,643 treatment did not inhibit let-7C or induce c-myc and mir-17 expression. These observations reveal a let-7C signaling cascade critical for PPARalpha agonist-induced liver proliferation and tumorigenesis. ..
- Zhang S, Qian X, Redman C, Bliskovski V, Ramsay E, Lowy D, et al. p16 INK4a gene promoter variation and differential binding of a repressor, the ras-responsive zinc-finger transcription factor, RREB. Oncogene. 2003;22:2285-95 pubmed..BALB/c mice have both regulatory and coding region defects that may contribute to the impairment of p16 gene function. ..
- Hiroi N, Kino T, Bassett M, Rainey W, Phung M, Abu Asab M, et al. Pituitary homeobox factor 1, a novel transcription factor in the adrenal regulating steroid 11beta-hydroxylase. Horm Metab Res. 2003;35:273-8 pubmed..In conclusion, this study represents the first demonstration for a role of Ptx1/Pitx1 in the regulation of transcription of enzymes involved in adrenal steroidogenesis. ..
- Jeong S, Lu H, Cho W, Park H, Pise Masison C, Brady J. Coactivator-associated arginine methyltransferase 1 enhances transcriptional activity of the human T-cell lymphotropic virus type 1 long terminal repeat through direct interaction with Tax. J Virol. 2006;80:10036-44 pubmed..Together, our data provide evidence that CARM1 enhances Tax transactivation of the HTLV-1 LTR through a direct interaction between CARM1 and Tax and this binding promotes methylation of histone H3 (R2, R17, and R26). ..
- He Y, Szapary D, Simons S. Modulation of induction properties of glucocorticoid receptor-agonist and -antagonist complexes by coactivators involves binding to receptors but is independent of ability of coactivators to augment transactivation. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:49256-66 pubmed
- To K, Zhan Z, Litman T, Bates S. Regulation of ABCG2 expression at the 3' untranslated region of its mRNA through modulation of transcript stability and protein translation by a putative microRNA in the S1 colon cancer cell line. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:5147-61 pubmed publisher..The removal of this epigenetic regulation by miRNA could be involved in the overexpression of ABCG2 in drug-resistant cancer cells...
- Dmitriev A, Farhang S, Lehman R, Ling G, Symes A. Bone morphogenetic protein-2 used in spinal fusion with spinal cord injury penetrates intrathecally and elicits a functional signaling cascade. Spine J. 2010;10:16-25 pubmed publisher..Therefore, in the presence of a SCI and/or dural tear, rhBMP-2 diffuses intrathecally and activates a signaling cascade in all major CNS cell types, which may increase glial scarring and impact neurologic recovery. ..
- Tsai Morris C, Lei S, Jiang Q, Sheng Y, Dufau M. Genomic organization and transcriptional analysis of gonadotropin-regulated testicular RNA helicase--GRTH/DDX25 gene. Gene. 2004;331:83-94 pubmed..These findings indicate that a differential pattern of transcriptional regulation may be involved in the control of GRTH gene expression in a cell-specific manner. ..
- Lynch C, Sakamuru S, Huang R, Stavreva D, Varticovski L, Hager G, et al. Identifying environmental chemicals as agonists of the androgen receptor by using a quantitative high-throughput screening platform. Toxicology. 2017;385:48-58 pubmed publisher..The information gained from the current study can be directly used to prioritize compounds for further in-depth toxicological evaluations, as well as their potential to disrupt the endocrine system via AR activation. ..
- Lee Y, Higashi Y, Luu C, Shimizu C, Strott C. Sp1 elements in SULT2B1b promoter and 5'-untranslated region of mRNA: Sp1/Sp2 induction and augmentation by histone deacetylase inhibition. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:3639-45 pubmed..Sp1 and Sp2 transcription factors identified by supershift analyses induced reporter gene activity, an effect markedly augmented by histone deacetylase inhibition. ..
- Liu J, Chung H, Vogt M, Jin Y, Malide D, He L, et al. JTV1 co-activates FBP to induce USP29 transcription and stabilize p53 in response to oxidative stress. EMBO J. 2011;30:846-58 pubmed publisher..The accumulated p53 quickly induces apoptosis. Thus, FBP and JTV1 help to coordinate the molecular and cellular response to oxidative stress. ..
- Swamynathan S, Piatigorsky J. Orientation-dependent influence of an intergenic enhancer on the promoter activity of the divergently transcribed mouse Shsp/alpha B-crystallin and Mkbp/HspB2 genes. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:49700-6 pubmed
- Hanyu O, Nakae H, Miida T, Higashi Y, Fuda H, Endo M, et al. Cholesterol sulfate induces expression of the skin barrier protein filaggrin in normal human epidermal keratinocytes through induction of ROR?. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;428:99-104 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the results of this study indicate that cholesterol sulfate induces filaggrin expression through increased ROR? expression. Further studies are required to fully elucidate the mechanisms involved. ..
- Burbelo P, Beck L, Waldman M. Detection and monitoring PLA2R autoantibodies by LIPS in membranous nephropathy. J Immunol Methods. 2017;444:17-23 pubmed publisher..79) and disease activity and was very sensitive for detecting clinical relapse. These results highlight the potential utility of the LIPS PLA2R-NanoLuc assay for diagnosis and management of MN. ..
- Reinhart J, Xiao S, Arora K, Catt K. Structural organization and characterization of the promoter region of the rat gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptor gene. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1997;130:1-12 pubmed..Knowledge of the genomic organization and analysis of the promoter region of the rat GnRH receptor gene will facilitate the elucidation of its transcriptional control in pituitary gonadotrophs and hypothalamic neurons. ..
- Kuschal C, DiGiovanna J, Khan S, Gatti R, Kraemer K. Repair of UV photolesions in xeroderma pigmentosum group C cells induced by translational readthrough of premature termination codons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:19483-8 pubmed publisher..Characterizing PTC structure and parameters governing effective PTC readthrough may provide a unique prophylactic therapy for skin cancer prevention in XP-C patients. ..
- Mill J, Mearow K, Purohit H, Haleem Smith H, King R, Freese E. Cloning and functional characterization of the rat glutamine synthetase gene. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1991;9:197-207 pubmed
- Lin L, Zhang J, Panicker L, Simonds W. The parafibromin tumor suppressor protein inhibits cell proliferation by repression of the c-myc proto-oncogene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:17420-5 pubmed publisher..These experiments provide a previously uncharacterized mechanism for the anti-proliferative action of the parafibromin tumor suppressor protein resulting from PAF1 complex-mediated inhibition of the c-myc proto-oncogene. ..
- Calvo S, Vullhorst D, Venepally P, Cheng J, Karavanova I, Buonanno A. Molecular dissection of DNA sequences and factors involved in slow muscle-specific transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:8490-503 pubmed..These results suggest a role for GTF3 as a regulator of slow TnI expression during early stages of muscle development and suggest how it could contribute to Williams-Beuren syndrome. ..
- Kumamoto K, Fujita K, Kurotani R, Saito M, Unoki M, Hagiwara N, et al. ING2 is upregulated in colon cancer and increases invasion by enhanced MMP13 expression. Int J Cancer. 2009;125:1306-15 pubmed publisher..Taken together, upregulation of ING2 was associated with colon cancer and MMP13-dependent cellular invasion, indicating that ING2 expression might be involved with cancer invasion and metastasis. ..
- Chiba Falek O, Nussbaum R. Effect of allelic variation at the NACP-Rep1 repeat upstream of the alpha-synuclein gene (SNCA) on transcription in a cell culture luciferase reporter system. Hum Mol Genet. 2001;10:3101-9 pubmed
- Antonellis A, Bennett W, Menheniott T, Prasad A, Lee Lin S, Green E, et al. Deletion of long-range sequences at Sox10 compromises developmental expression in a mouse model of Waardenburg-Shah (WS4) syndrome. Hum Mol Genet. 2006;15:259-71 pubmed..These studies will direct further analyses of Sox10 regulation and provide candidate sequences for mutation detection in WS4 patients lacking a SOX10-coding mutation. ..
- Zhou X, Izumi Y, Burg M, Ferraris J. Rac1/osmosensing scaffold for MEKK3 contributes via phospholipase C-gamma1 to activation of the osmoprotective transcription factor NFAT5. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:12155-60 pubmed publisher..Similarly, dominant-negative Rac1 also does not inhibit TonEBP/OREBP in PLC-?1-null cells unless PLC-?1 is reconstituted. We conclude that Rac1/OSM supports TonEBP/OREBP activity and that this activity is mediated via PLC-?1, not p38. ..
- Aoki K, Kato J, Shoemaker M, Moss J. Genomic organization and promoter analysis of the mouse ADP-ribosylarginine hydrolase gene. Gene. 2005;351:83-95 pubmed..The promoter activity pattern and involvement of Sp transcription factors are consistent with prior observations of widespread hydrolase expression in mammalian tissues. ..