Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on hyperglycemia in Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Locale: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
- Reece E. The fetal and maternal consequences of gestational diabetes mellitus. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2010;23:199-203 pubmed publisher..There remains, however, a great deal of controversy over when to begin screening for hyperglycemia in pregnancy and at what level of hyperglycemia should aggressive intervention be initiated. ..
- Li X, Weng H, Reece E, Yang P. SOD1 overexpression in vivo blocks hyperglycemia-induced specific PKC isoforms: substrate activation and consequent lipid peroxidation in diabetic embryopathy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011;205:84.e1-6 pubmed publisher..RACK1 levels did not differ among the 3 groups. Mitigating oxidative stress by SOD1 overexpression blocks maternal hyperglycemia-induced activation of specific PKC isoforms and downstream cascades. ..
- Yang P, Li X, Xu C, Eckert R, Reece E, Zielke H, et al. Maternal hyperglycemia activates an ASK1-FoxO3a-caspase 8 pathway that leads to embryonic neural tube defects. Sci Signal. 2013;6:ra74 pubmed publisher..Thus, activation of an ASK1-FoxO3a-TRADD-caspase 8 pathway participates in the development of neural tube defects, which could be prevented by inhibiting intermediates in this cascade. ..
- Hernández Ochoa E, Robison P, Contreras M, Shen T, Zhao Z, Schneider M. Elevated extracellular glucose and uncontrolled type 1 diabetes enhance NFAT5 signaling and disrupt the transverse tubular network in mouse skeletal muscle. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2012;237:1068-83 pubmed..Our results suggest the hypothesis that these changes in skeletal muscle could play a role in the pathophysiology of acute and severe hyperglycemic episodes commonly observed in uncontrolled diabetes. ..
- Zhang Z, Wakabayashi N, Wakabayashi J, Tamura Y, Song W, Sereda S, et al. The dynamin-related GTPase Opa1 is required for glucose-stimulated ATP production in pancreatic beta cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:2235-45 pubmed publisher..Consequently, mice lacking Opa1 in beta cells develop hyperglycemia. The data suggest that the function of Opa1 in the maintenance of the electron transport chain is physiologically relevant in beta cells...
- Rao Kondapally Seshasai S, Kaptoge S, Thompson A, Di Angelantonio E, Gao P, Sarwar N, et al. Diabetes mellitus, fasting glucose, and risk of cause-specific death. N Engl J Med. 2011;364:829-841 pubmed publisher..Funded by the British Heart Foundation and others.). ..
- Lodh S, Hostelley T, Leitch C, O Hare E, Zaghloul N. Differential effects on Î²-cell mass by disruption of Bardet-Biedl syndrome or Alstrom syndrome genes. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:57-68 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings implicate discrepant production and maintenance of Î²-cells in the differential susceptibility to diabetes found between these two genetic syndromes. ..
- Derr R, Ye X, Islas M, Desideri S, Saudek C, Grossman S. Association between hyperglycemia and survival in patients with newly diagnosed glioblastoma. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:1082-6 pubmed publisher..The effect of intensive management of glucocorticoid-related hyperglycemia on survival deserves additional study in patients with GBM. ..
- Simard J, Yurovsky V, Tsymbalyuk N, Melnichenko L, Ivanova S, Gerzanich V. Protective effect of delayed treatment with low-dose glibenclamide in three models of ischemic stroke. Stroke. 2009;40:604-9 pubmed publisher..However, the therapeutic window for treatment with glibenclamide has not been studied...
- Andrade A, Hendrix C, Parsons T, Caballero B, Yuan C, Flexner C, et al. Pharmacokinetic and metabolic effects of American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) in healthy volunteers receiving the HIV protease inhibitor indinavir. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2008;8:50 pubmed publisher..03, n = 11), M/I remained unchanged after co-administration of IDV and AG. IDV decreases insulin sensitivity, which is unaltered by AG co-administration. AG does not significantly affect IDV pharmacokinetics. ..
- Yang P, Zhao Z, Reece E. Blockade of c-Jun N-terminal kinase activation abrogates hyperglycemia-induced yolk sac vasculopathy in vitro. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008;198:321.e1-7 pubmed publisher..In addition, during embryopathy, teratogen such as hyperglycemia is associated with concomitant injury to the yolk sac and embryo...
- Steinle N, Kazlauskaite R, Imumorin I, Hsueh W, Pollin T, O Connell J, et al. Variation in the lamin A/C gene: associations with metabolic syndrome. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004;24:1708-13 pubmed..The H566H polymorphism was associated with metabolic syndrome and also higher mean fasting triglyceride and lower mean HDL-cholesterol concentrations in the Old Order Amish. ..
- Hegde K, Varma S. Combination of glycemic and oxidative stress in lens: implications in augmentation of cataract formation in diabetes. Free Radic Res. 2005;39:513-7 pubmed..Similarly, the galactosemic lenses were also more susceptible to menadione dependent decrease in ATP and GSH. ..
- Yang P, Cao Y, Li H. Hyperglycemia induces inducible nitric oxide synthase gene expression and consequent nitrosative stress via c-Jun N-terminal kinase activation. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010;203:185.e5-11 pubmed publisher..The jnk2 gene deletion blocked diabetes-induced protein nitrosylation. JNK1/2 activation mediates hyperglycemia-induced iNOS gene expression and consequent nitrosative stress in diabetic embryopathy. ..
- Yang P, Zhao Z, Reece E. Involvement of c-Jun N-terminal kinases activation in diabetic embryopathy. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;357:749-54 pubmed..JNK activation itself is sufficient to induce embryonic anomalies, and thus mimics the teratogenic effect of hyperglycemia. ..