Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on homeostasis in Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Locale: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Publications113 found, 100 shown here
- Semenza G. Hypoxia-inducible factor 1 and cancer pathogenesis. IUBMB Life. 2008;60:591-7 pubmed publisher..Proof of principle studies in mouse models suggests that inhibition of HIF-1 activity may have therapeutic effects, especially in combination with other anticancer drugs. ..
- Kiyatkin E, Sharma H. Permeability of the blood-brain barrier depends on brain temperature. Neuroscience. 2009;161:926-39 pubmed publisher..Therefore, brain temperature per se is an important factor in regulating BBB permeability, alterations in brain water homeostasis, and subsequent structural abnormalities of brain cells. ..
- Brady K, Joshi B, Zweifel C, Smielewski P, Czosnyka M, Easley R, et al. Real-time continuous monitoring of cerebral blood flow autoregulation using near-infrared spectroscopy in patients undergoing cardiopulmonary bypass. Stroke. 2010;41:1951-6 pubmed publisher..Real-time autoregulation monitoring may have a role in preventing injurious hypotension during CPB. Clinical Trials Registration- at www.clinicaltrials.gov (NCT00769691). ..
- Barnett B, Hwang Y, Taylor M, Kirchner H, Pfluger P, Bernard V, et al. Glucose and weight control in mice with a designed ghrelin O-acyltransferase inhibitor. Science. 2010;330:1689-92 pubmed publisher..In addition to serving as a research tool for mapping ghrelin actions, GO-CoA-Tat may help pave the way for clinical targeting of GOAT in metabolic diseases. ..
- Chung S, Chavez C, Andrew D. Trachealess (Trh) regulates all tracheal genes during Drosophila embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2011;360:160-72 pubmed publisher..Finally, genome-wide microarray experiments identified additional Trh targets and revealed that a variety of biological processes are affected by the loss of trh. ..
- Peti Peterdi J, Kishore B, Pluznick J. Regulation of Vascular and Renal Function by Metabolite Receptors. Annu Rev Physiol. 2016;78:391-414 pubmed publisher..By highlighting three receptor families-(a) citric acid cycle intermediate receptors, (b) purinergic receptors, and ..
- Hori D, Hogue C, Adachi H, Max L, Price J, Sciortino C, et al. Perioperative optimal blood pressure as determined by ultrasound tagged near infrared spectroscopy and its association with postoperative acute kidney injury in cardiac surgery patients. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2016;22:445-51 pubmed publisher..Individualized blood pressure management based on cerebral autoregulation monitoring during the perioperative period may help improve CSA-AKI-related outcomes. ..
- Stains J, Civitelli R. Connexins in the skeleton. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2016;50:31-9 pubmed publisher..Pharmacological interference with Cx43 may in the future help remedy deterioration of bone quality occurring with aging, disuse and hormonal imbalances. ..
- Song L, Guia A, Muth J, Rubio M, Wang S, Xiao R, et al. Ca(2+) signaling in cardiac myocytes overexpressing the alpha(1) subunit of L-type Ca(2+) channel. Circ Res. 2002;90:174-81 pubmed..These results also suggest that a modest but sustained increase in Ca(2+) influx triggers a coordinated remodeling of Ca(2+) handling to maintain Ca(2+) homeostasis. ..
- Tankersley C, Irizarry R, Flanders S, Rabold R, Frank R. Unstable heart rate and temperature regulation predict mortality in AKR/J mice. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2003;284:R742-50 pubmed..The results further suggested that multiple predictors of cardiac and thermal instability in AK mice, including significant bradycardia, hypothermia, and a loss of circadian periodicity, forecast life span 5-6 wk before expiration. ..
- Goutman J, Fuchs P, Glowatzki E. Facilitating efferent inhibition of inner hair cells in the cochlea of the neonatal rat. J Physiol. 2005;566:49-59 pubmed..Repetitive efferent stimulation at 5 Hz or higher hyperpolarized IHCs by 5-10 mV and could completely prevent the generation of calcium action potentials normally evoked by depolarizing current injection. ..
- Jun A, Cope L, Speck C, Feng X, Lee S, Meng H, et al. Subnormal cytokine profile in the tear fluid of keratoconus patients. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e16437 pubmed publisher..Moreover, an increase in IL-17 suggests tissue degenerative processes at work, contributing to the thinning and weakening of the corneal connective tissue in keratoconus. ..
- Cornil C, Castelino C, Ball G. Dopamine binds to alpha(2)-adrenergic receptors in the song control system of zebra finches (Taeniopygia guttata). J Chem Neuroanat. 2008;35:202-15 pubmed..Together these data provide evidence for a direct interaction between dopamine and adrenergic receptors in songbird brains albeit with regional variation. ..
- Lee J, Kibler K, Benni P, Easley R, Czosnyka M, Smielewski P, et al. Cerebrovascular reactivity measured by near-infrared spectroscopy. Stroke. 2009;40:1820-6 pubmed publisher..Coherence between the rTHb and ICP waveforms at the frequency of slow waves suggests that slow waves of ICP are related to blood volume changes. The HVx has potential for further development as a noninvasive alternative to the PRx. ..
- Zhang N, Bai H, David K, Dong J, Zheng Y, Cai J, et al. The Merlin/NF2 tumor suppressor functions through the YAP oncoprotein to regulate tissue homeostasis in mammals. Dev Cell. 2010;19:27-38 pubmed publisher..Our studies link Merlin/NF2 to mammalian Hippo signaling and implicate YAP activation as a mediator of pathologies relevant to Neurofibromatosis 2...
- Wang H, Sztalryd C. Oxidative tissue: perilipin 5 links storage with the furnace. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2011;22:197-203 pubmed publisher..This review examines the results of studies on one of the newest members of the perilipin family, perilipin 5, which has emerged as a putative key player in LD function in oxidative tissues. ..
- Kemp C, Conte J. The pathophysiology of heart failure. Cardiovasc Pathol. 2012;21:365-71 pubmed publisher..Despite significant understanding of the underlying pathophysiological mechanisms in heart failure, this disease causes significant morbidity and carries a 50% 5-year mortality. ..
- Beydoun H, Khanal S, Zonderman A, Beydoun M. Sex differences in the association of urinary bisphenol-A concentration with selected indices of glucose homeostasis among U.S. adults. Ann Epidemiol. 2014;24:90-7 pubmed publisher..A complex association may exist between BPA and hyperinsulinemia among adult U.S. men. Prospective cohort studies are needed to further elucidate endocrine disruptors as determinants of adiposity-related disturbances. ..
- Kim J, Kim K, Noh J, Yoon J, Abdelmohsen K, Gorospe M. Long noncoding RNAs in diseases of aging. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1859:209-21 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Clues to long noncoding RNA taxonomy1, edited by Dr. Tetsuro Hirose and Dr. Shinichi Nakagawa. ..
- Beer R, Parsons M, Rovira M. Centroacinar cells: At the center of pancreas regeneration. Dev Biol. 2016;413:8-15 pubmed publisher..However, whether CACs contribute to Î²-cell regeneration in adult mammals remains controversial. Here we review the current understanding of the role of CACs as endocrine progenitors during regeneration in zebrafish and mammals. ..
- Khairallah P, Isakova T, Asplin J, Hamm L, Dobre M, Rahman M, et al. Acid Load and Phosphorus Homeostasis in CKD. Am J Kidney Dis. 2017;70:541-550 pubmed publisher..Understanding whether administration of base can lower phosphorus concentrations requires testing in interventional trials. ..
- Semenza G. Regulation of physiological responses to continuous and intermittent hypoxia by hypoxia-inducible factor 1. Exp Physiol. 2006;91:803-6 pubmed
- Weber K, Lee E, Basavanna U, Lindley S, Ziegelstein R, Germino G, et al. Heterologous expression of polycystin-1 inhibits endoplasmic reticulum calcium leak in stably transfected MDCK cells. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2008;294:F1279-86 pubmed publisher..We conclude that disruption of ER luminal calcium homeostasis may contribute to the cyst phenotype in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. ..
- Nguyen H, Weng N. IL-21 preferentially enhances IL-15-mediated homeostatic proliferation of human CD28+ CD8 memory T cells throughout the adult age span. J Leukoc Biol. 2010;87:43-9 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings suggest that IL-21 enhances IL-15-mediated proliferation of CD8 memory T cells, particularly CD28(+) memory T cells, and also serves as an antagonist to the IL-15-induced increase of CD28(-) CD8 T cells. ..
- Hensel Z, Feng H, Han B, Hatem C, Wang J, Xiao J. Stochastic expression dynamics of a transcription factor revealed by single-molecule noise analysis. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2012;19:797-802 pubmed publisher..This quantitative study of transcription factor expression dynamics sheds light on the mechanisms cells use to control noise in gene regulatory networks. ..
- Brady K, Mytar J, Lee J, Cameron D, Vricella L, Thompson W, et al. Monitoring cerebral blood flow pressure autoregulation in pediatric patients during cardiac surgery. Stroke. 2010;41:1957-62 pubmed publisher..The COx may be useful to identify arterial blood pressure-dependent limits of cerebral autoregulation during cardiopulmonary bypass. Larger trials with neurological outcomes are indicated. ..
- Beskina O, Miller A, Mazzocco Spezzia A, Pulina M, Golovina V. Mechanisms of interleukin-1beta-induced Ca2+ signals in mouse cortical astrocytes: roles of store- and receptor-operated Ca2+ entry. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2007;293:C1103-11 pubmed..The disruption of Ca(2+) homeostasis appears to be an upstream component in the cascade of IL-1beta-activated pathways leading to neurodegeneration. ..
- Linde C, Baryshnikov S, Mazzocco Spezzia A, Golovina V. Dysregulation of Ca2+ signaling in astrocytes from mice lacking amyloid precursor protein. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2011;300:C1502-12 pubmed publisher..The data demonstrate that the functional role of APP in astrocytes involves the regulation of TRPC1/Orai1-encoded SOCs critical for Ca(2+) signaling. ..
- Zhu J, Krom B, Sanglard D, Intapa C, Dawson C, Peters B, et al. Farnesol-induced apoptosis in Candida albicans is mediated by Cdr1-p extrusion and depletion of intracellular glutathione. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e28830 pubmed publisher..albicans. Understanding of the mechanisms underlying farnesol-cytotoxicity in C. albicans may lead to the development of this redox-cycling agent as an alternative antifungal agent. ..
- Ranatunga D, Ramakrishnan A, Uprety P, Wang F, Zhang H, Margolick J, et al. A protective role for human IL-10-expressing CD4+ T cells in colitis. J Immunol. 2012;189:1243-52 pubmed publisher..We also provide molecular evidence suggesting the tissue microenvironment influences IL-10 expression patterns and chromatin structure in the human (and mouse) IL10 locus. ..
- Liu J, Li T, Yang D, Ma R, Moran T, Smith W. Synphilin-1 alters metabolic homeostasis in a novel Drosophila obesity model. Int J Obes (Lond). 2012;36:1529-36 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that SP1 expression affects energy homeostasis in ways that enhance positive energy balance and provide a useful obesity model for future pathogenesis and therapeutic studies. ..
- Ono M, Brady K, Easley R, Brown C, Kraut M, Gottesman R, et al. Duration and magnitude of blood pressure below cerebral autoregulation threshold during cardiopulmonary bypass is associated with major morbidity and operative mortality. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014;147:483-9 pubmed publisher..Blood pressure management during cardiopulmonary bypass using physiologic endpoints such as cerebral autoregulation monitoring might provide a method of optimizing organ perfusion and improving patient outcomes from cardiac surgery. ..
- Burnett A. Pathophysiology of priapism: dysregulatory erection physiology thesis. J Urol. 2003;170:26-34 pubmed..Accordingly the intent of this review was to explore the etiological and pathogenic factors involved in priapism...
- Pallayova M, Steele K, Magnuson T, Schweitzer M, Hill N, Bevans Fonti S, et al. Sleep apnea predicts distinct alterations in glucose homeostasis and biomarkers in obese adults with normal and impaired glucose metabolism. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2010;9:83 pubmed publisher..The study may help illuminate potential mechanisms for glucose dysregulation in OSA, and resolve some controversy over the associations of OSA with TNF-? and IL-6 in previous studies. ..
- Freyburger M, Pierre A, Paquette G, BÃ©langer Nelson E, Bedont J, Gaudreault P, et al. EphA4 is Involved in Sleep Regulation but Not in the Electrophysiological Response to Sleep Deprivation. Sleep. 2016;39:613-24 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that EphA4 is involved in circadian sleep regulation. ..
- Liu S, Liu Q, Tabuchi M, Wu M. Sleep Drive Is Encoded by Neural Plastic Changes in a Dedicated Circuit. Cell. 2016;165:1347-1360 pubmed publisher..These studies define an integrator circuit for sleep homeostasis and provide a mechanism explaining the generation and persistence of sleep drive. ..
- Mowel W, McCright S, Kotzin J, Collet M, Uyar A, Chen X, et al. Group 1 Innate Lymphoid Cell Lineage Identity Is Determined by a cis-Regulatory Element Marked by a Long Non-coding RNA. Immunity. 2017;47:435-449.e8 pubmed publisher..Thus, non-coding elements responsive to extracellular cues unique to each ILC subset represent a key regulatory layer for controlling the identity and function of ILCs. ..
- Jensen L, Ajua Alemanji M, Culotta V. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae high affinity phosphate transporter encoded by PHO84 also functions in manganese homeostasis. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:42036-40 pubmed..We conclude that Pho84p plays a role in manganese homeostasis predominantly under manganese surplus conditions and appears to be functioning as a low affinity metal transporter. ..
- Li J, Grigoryev D, Ye S, Thorne L, Schwartz A, Smith P, et al. Chronic intermittent hypoxia upregulates genes of lipid biosynthesis in obese mice. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2005;99:1643-8 pubmed..In conclusion, we have shown that CIH may exacerbate preexisting fatty liver of obesity via upregulation of the pathways of lipid biosynthesis in the liver. ..
- Yang M, Cobine P, Molik S, Naranuntarat A, Lill R, Winge D, et al. The effects of mitochondrial iron homeostasis on cofactor specificity of superoxide dismutase 2. EMBO J. 2006;25:1775-83 pubmed..The ability to control this reactive pool of iron is critical to maintaining SOD2 activity and has important potential implications for oxidative stress in disorders of iron overload. ..
- Tan F, Husain M, Manlandro C, Koppenol M, Fire A, Hill R. CED-9 and mitochondrial homeostasis in C. elegans muscle. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:3373-82 pubmed publisher..Thus, CED-9 is capable of regulating the mitochondrial fission-fusion cycle but is not essential for either fission or fusion. ..
- Chu S, Heiser D, Li L, Kaplan I, Collector M, Huso D, et al. FLT3-ITD knockin impairs hematopoietic stem cell quiescence/homeostasis, leading to myeloproliferative neoplasm. Cell Stem Cell. 2012;11:346-58 pubmed publisher..This indicates an important link between stem cell quiescence/homeostasis and myeloproliferative disease while also giving novel insight into the emergence of FLT3-ITD mutations in the evolution of leukemic transformation. ..
- Semenza G. Expression of hypoxia-inducible factor 1: mechanisms and consequences. Biochem Pharmacol. 2000;59:47-53 pubmed..Pharmacologic manipulation of HIF-1 levels may provide a novel therapeutic approach to diseases that represent the most common causes of mortality in Western society, including cancer, chronic lung disease, and myocardial ischemia. ..
- Linde C, Antos L, Golovina V, Blaustein M. Nanomolar ouabain increases NCX1 expression and enhances Ca2+ signaling in human arterial myocytes: a mechanism that links salt to increased vascular resistance?. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2012;303:H784-94 pubmed publisher..These ouabain/endogenous ouabain-modulated mechanisms underlie the whole body autoregulation associated with increased vascular resistance and elevation of BP in human, salt-sensitive hypertension. ..
- Pierzchalski K, Yu J, Norman V, KANE M. CrbpI regulates mammary retinoic acid homeostasis and the mammary microenvironment. FASEB J. 2013;27:1904-16 pubmed publisher..Together, these data show that CrbpI loss disrupts atRA homeostasis in mammary tissue, resulting in microenvironmental defects similar to those observed at the early stages of tumorigenesis. ..
- Lin S, Culotta V. The ATX1 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae encodes a small metal homeostasis factor that protects cells against reactive oxygen toxicity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:3784-8 pubmed..Hence, ATX1 protects cells against the toxicity of both superoxide anion and hydrogen peroxide. ..
- Iyer N, Kotch L, Agani F, Leung S, Laughner E, Wenger R, et al. Cellular and developmental control of O2 homeostasis by hypoxia-inducible factor 1 alpha. Genes Dev. 1998;12:149-62 pubmed..5 and E9.5, coincident with the onset of developmental defects and cell death in Hif1a-/- embryos. These results demonstrate that HIF-1alpha is a master regulator of cellular and developmental O2 homeostasis. ..
- Gupta A, Tenenhouse H, Hoag H, Wang D, Khadeer M, Namba N, et al. Identification of the type II Na(+)-Pi cotransporter (Npt2) in the osteoclast and the skeletal phenotype of Npt2-/- mice. Bone. 2001;29:467-76 pubmed
- Wonsey D, Zeller K, Dang C. The c-Myc target gene PRDX3 is required for mitochondrial homeostasis and neoplastic transformation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:6649-54 pubmed..These data provide evidence that PRDX3 is a c-Myc target gene that is required to maintain normal mitochondrial function. ..
- Harris Z, Davis Kaplan S, Gitlin J, Kaplan J. A fungal multicopper oxidase restores iron homeostasis in aceruloplasminemia. Blood. 2004;103:4672-3 pubmed..These results show the conservation of function of copper-containing proteins in eukaryotic iron metabolism. ..
- Cha S, Hu Z, Lane M. Long-term effects of a fatty acid synthase inhibitor on obese mice: food intake, hypothalamic neuropeptides, and UCP3. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;317:301-8 pubmed
- Yang M, Jensen L, Gardner A, Culotta V. Manganese toxicity and Saccharomyces cerevisiae Mam3p, a member of the ACDP (ancient conserved domain protein) family. Biochem J. 2005;386:479-87 pubmed..This is the first report of a eukaryotic ACDP family protein involved in metal homoeostasis. ..
- Berra Romani R, Blaustein M, Matteson D. TTX-sensitive voltage-gated Na+ channels are expressed in mesenteric artery smooth muscle cells. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2005;289:H137-45 pubmed..The presence of these channels in freshly isolated SMC depends critically on the enzymatic dissociation conditions. This could resolve controversy about the presence of Na+ channels in arterial smooth muscle. ..
- Zhang J, Lee M, Cavalli M, Chen L, Berra Romani R, Balke C, et al. Sodium pump alpha2 subunits control myogenic tone and blood pressure in mice. J Physiol. 2005;569:243-56 pubmed..Accordingly, in salt-dependent hypertension, EOLC probably increases vascular resistance and blood pressure by reducing alpha2 Na(+) pump activity and promoting Ca(2)(+) entry via NCX in myocytes. ..
- Tang A, Teijaro J, Njau M, Chandran S, Azimzadeh A, Nadler S, et al. CTLA4 expression is an indicator and regulator of steady-state CD4+ FoxP3+ T cell homeostasis. J Immunol. 2008;181:1806-13 pubmed
- Semenza G. Involvement of oxygen-sensing pathways in physiologic and pathologic erythropoiesis. Blood. 2009;114:2015-9 pubmed publisher..Intense efforts are under way to identify small molecule hydroxylase inhibitors that can be administered chronically to selectively induce erythropoiesis without undesirable side effects. ..
- ..The following article provides an overview of the homeostatic pathways emphasized in research on aging and explains how this science may help to stimulate frailty research. ..
- Chakraborty A, Kim S, Snyder S. Inositol pyrophosphates as mammalian cell signals. Sci Signal. 2011;4:re1 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the interplay of IPMK and IP?K in regulating growth factor and nutrient-mediated cell signaling...
- DiGirolamo D, Clemens T, Kousteni S. The skeleton as an endocrine organ. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2012;8:674-83 pubmed publisher..The recognition of bone as a true endocrine organ represents a fertile area for further research and should improve the diagnosis and treatment of metabolic diseases such as osteoporosis and diabetes mellitus...
- Hardwick J, Soane L. Multiple functions of BCL-2 family proteins. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2013;5: pubmed publisher..Disentanglement of these functions may require delineation of biochemical activities inherent to the characteristic three-dimensional shape shared by distantly related viral and cellular BCL-2 family members. ..
- Chang W, Radin B, McCurdy M. Calcium, magnesium, and phosphate abnormalities in the emergency department. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2014;32:349-66 pubmed publisher..This article describes the pathophysiology of these mineral disorders. It aims to provide the emergency practitioner with an overview of the diagnosis and management of these disorders. ..
- Kiyatkin E, Ren S, Wakabayashi K, Baumann M, Shaham Y. Clinically Relevant Pharmacological Strategies That Reverse MDMA-Induced Brain Hyperthermia Potentiated by Social Interaction. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2016;41:549-59 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that clozapine, and related centrally acting drugs, might be highly effective for reversing MDMA-induced brain and body hyperthermia in emergency clinical situations, with possible life-saving results...
- Diering G, Nirujogi R, Roth R, Worley P, Pandey A, Huganir R. Homer1a drives homeostatic scaling-down of excitatory synapses during sleep. Science. 2017;355:511-515 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that homeostatic scaling-down, a global form of synaptic plasticity, is active during sleep to remodel synapses and participates in the consolidation of contextual memory. ..
- Wang S, Devuyst O, Courtoy P, Wang X, Wang H, Wang Y, et al. Mice lacking renal chloride channel, CLC-5, are a model for Dent's disease, a nephrolithiasis disorder associated with defective receptor-mediated endocytosis. Hum Mol Genet. 2000;9:2937-45 pubmed..Thus, CLC-5-deficient mice provide a model for Dent's disease and this will help in elucidating the function of this chloride channel in endocytosis and renal calcium homeostasis. ..
- Simpson P, Wang E, Moon C, Matarazzo V, Cohen D, Liebl D, et al. Neurotrophin-3 signaling maintains maturational homeostasis between neuronal populations in the olfactory epithelium. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2003;24:858-74 pubmed..These effects of NT-3 serve to maintain homeostasis between neuronal populations within the olfactory epithelium. ..
- Wolfgang M, Kurama T, Dai Y, Suwa A, Asaumi M, Matsumoto S, et al. The brain-specific carnitine palmitoyltransferase-1c regulates energy homeostasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:7282-7 pubmed..These findings indicate that CPT1c is necessary for the regulation of energy homeostasis. ..
- Aiba T, Hesketh G, Barth A, Liu T, Daya S, Chakir K, et al. Electrophysiological consequences of dyssynchronous heart failure and its restoration by resynchronization therapy. Circulation. 2009;119:1220-30 pubmed publisher..The electrophysiological changes induced by CRT may suppress ventricular arrhythmias, contribute to the survival benefit of this therapy, and improve the mechanical performance of the heart. ..
- Bandeen Roche K, Walston J, Huang Y, Semba R, Ferrucci L. Measuring systemic inflammatory regulation in older adults: evidence and utility. Rejuvenation Res. 2009;12:403-10 pubmed publisher..We conclude that systemic inflammation is relevant to the process that leads to functional loss in older persons and can be validly measured through biologically informed summary of inflammatory markers. ..
- Hu J, Park J, Park S, Xiao B, Dehoff M, Kim S, et al. Homeostatic scaling requires group I mGluR activation mediated by Homer1a. Neuron. 2010;68:1128-42 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal an elegant interplay of mechanisms that underlie Hebbian and non-Hebbian plasticity. ..
- Kaplan I, Morisot S, Heiser D, Cheng W, Kim M, Civin C. Deletion of tristetraprolin caused spontaneous reactive granulopoiesis by a non-cell-autonomous mechanism without disturbing long-term hematopoietic stem cell quiescence. J Immunol. 2011;186:2826-34 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate the importance of TTP in inflammatory homeostasis and highlight the ability of the hematopoietic system to respond to stress without significant numbers of quiescent HSCs entering the cell cycle. ..
- Bharadwaj R, Cunningham K, Zhang K, Lloyd T. FIG4 regulates lysosome membrane homeostasis independent of phosphatase function. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:681-92 pubmed publisher..These data show that FIG4 plays a critical noncatalytic function in maintaining lysosomal membrane homeostasis, and that this function is disrupted by mutations that cause CMT4J and YVS. ..
- Burr R, Stewart E, Shao W, Zhao S, Hannibal Bach H, Ejsing C, et al. Mga2 Transcription Factor Regulates an Oxygen-responsive Lipid Homeostasis Pathway in Fission Yeast. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:12171-83 pubmed publisher..Together, these results establish Mga2 as a transcriptional regulator of triacylglycerol and glycerophospholipid homeostasis in S. pombe, analogous to mammalian SREBP-1. ..
- Gao L, Zimmerman M, Biswal S, Zucker I. Selective Nrf2 Gene Deletion in the Rostral Ventrolateral Medulla Evokes Hypertension and Sympathoexcitation in Mice. Hypertension. 2017;69:1198-1206 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that Nrf2 gene deletion in the RVLM elevates blood pressure, increases sympathetic outflow, and impairs baroreflex function potentially by impaired antioxidant enzyme expression. ..
- Semenza G. HIF-1, O(2), and the 3 PHDs: how animal cells signal hypoxia to the nucleus. Cell. 2001;107:1-3 pubmed..A molecular basis for O(2)-regulated expression of the HIF-1 alpha subunit has now been determined, providing a mechanism for changes in gene expression in response to changes in cellular oxygenation. ..
- Mukherjee S, Kallay L, Brett C, Rao R. Mutational analysis of the intramembranous H10 loop of yeast Nhx1 reveals a critical role in ion homoeostasis and vesicle trafficking. Biochem J. 2006;398:97-105 pubmed..The present study demonstrates the importance of the H10 loop of the NHE family, highlights the differences between plasma membrane and intracellular isoforms and shows that trafficking defects are tightly coupled with pH homoeostasis. ..
- Shimoda L, Fallon M, Pisarcik S, Wang J, Semenza G. HIF-1 regulates hypoxic induction of NHE1 expression and alkalinization of intracellular pH in pulmonary arterial myocytes. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2006;291:L941-9 pubmed
- Dong J, Feldmann G, Huang J, Wu S, Zhang N, Comerford S, et al. Elucidation of a universal size-control mechanism in Drosophila and mammals. Cell. 2007;130:1120-33 pubmed..These results uncover a universal size-control mechanism in metazoan. ..
- Nguyen T, Wang D, Rhodes T, George A. Divergent biophysical defects caused by mutant sodium channels in dilated cardiomyopathy with arrhythmia. Circ Res. 2008;102:364-71 pubmed
- Sawamura N, Ando T, Maruyama Y, Fujimuro M, Mochizuki H, Honjo K, et al. Nuclear DISC1 regulates CRE-mediated gene transcription and sleep homeostasis in the fruit fly. Mol Psychiatry. 2008;13:1138-48, 1069 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we identified three functional cis-elements that regulate the nuclear localization of DISC1. We also report that DISC1 interacts with ATF4/CREB2 and a corepressor N-CoR, modulating CRE-mediated gene transcription. ..