Experts and Doctors on hiv infections in Silver Spring, Maryland, United States
Locale: Silver Spring, Maryland, United States
Topic: hiv infections
- Boyd S, Hadigan C, McManus M, Chairez C, Nieman L, Pau A, et al. Influence of low-dose ritonavir with and without darunavir on the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of inhaled beclomethasone. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2013;63:355-61 pubmed publisher..Adrenal suppression was not observed in any of the study groups. These data suggest that BDP can be safely coadministered with DRV/r and likely other RTV-boosted protease inhibitors. ..
- Prentice H, Ehrenberg P, Baldwin K, Geretz A, Andrews C, Nitayaphan S, et al. HLA class I, KIR, and genome-wide SNP diversity in the RV144 Thai phase 3 HIV vaccine clinical trial. Immunogenetics. 2014;66:299-310 pubmed publisher..This will inform subsequent host genetic analyses in the RV144 cohort and provide insight for future genetic association studies in the Thai population. ..
- Crowell T, Keshinro B, Baral S, Schwartz S, Stahlman S, Nowak R, et al. Stigma, access to healthcare, and HIV risks among men who sell sex to men in Nigeria. J Int AIDS Soc. 2017;20:21489 pubmed publisher..The distinct characteristics and risks among MSS suggest the need for specific interventions to optimize linkage to HIV prevention and treatment services in Nigeria. ..
- Klein H, Tilley D. Perceptions of HIV risk among internet-using, HIV-negative barebacking men. Am J Mens Health. 2012;6:280-93 pubmed publisher..Internet-using HIV-negative men who have sex with men tend to underestimate their risk for acquiring HIV, and interventions need to help them accurately assess their risk. ..
- Rosenberg Z, Devlin B. Future strategies in microbicide development. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2012;26:503-13 pubmed publisher..The development of different dosage forms will help ensure that women can find a method to protect themselves from HIV, pregnancy, and potentially other sexually transmitted infections. ..
- Wang X, Tan J, Biswas S, Zhao J, Devadas K, Ye Z, et al. Pandemic Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection Increases Apoptosis and HIV-1 Replication in HIV-1 Infected Jurkat Cells. Viruses. 2016;8: pubmed publisher..These data indicate that HIV-1 replication can be activated by pH1N1 virus in HIV-1-infected cells resulting in induction of cell death through apoptotic pathways. ..
- Cox J, Lukande R, Kalungi S, Van Marck E, Lammens M, Van De Vijver K, et al. Accuracy of Lipoarabinomannan and Xpert MTB/RIF Testing in Cerebrospinal Fluid To Diagnose Tuberculous Meningitis in an Autopsy Cohort of HIV-Infected Adults. J Clin Microbiol. 2015;53:2667-73 pubmed publisher..Point-of-care tests have high accuracy in diagnosis of TBM in deceased HIV-infected adults. LAM LFA in CSF is a useful additional diagnostic tool. ..
- Fairhurst D, Rowell R, Monahan I, Key S, Stieh D, McNeil Watson F, et al. Microbicides for HIV/AIDS. 2. Electrophoretic fingerprinting of CD4+ T-cell model systems. Langmuir. 2007;23:2680-7 pubmed
- Hu H, Nau M, Ehrenberg P, Chenine A, Macedo C, Zhou Y, et al. Distinct gene-expression profiles associated with the susceptibility of pathogen-specific CD4 T cells to HIV-1 infection. Blood. 2013;121:1136-44 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest a mechanism for the persistence of CMV-specific CD4 response and earlier loss of mucosal Th17-associated TT- and C albicans-specific CD4 response in AIDS. ..
- Lesho E. Evidence base for using corticosteroids to treat HIV-associated immune reconstitution syndrome. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2006;4:469-78 pubmed..After ruling out other conditions which can mimic IRS, clinicians should strongly consider steroids when managing IRS associated with mycobacterial or fungal pathogens when there is severe disease, or when other measures have failed. ..
- Klein H. Felching among men who engage in barebacking (unprotected anal sex). Arch Sex Behav. 2012;41:377-84 pubmed publisher..g., wanting "wild" or "uninhibited" sex, self-identification as a "bug chaser"), and eroticizing ejaculatory fluids. ..
- Baigis J, Francis M, Hoffman M. Cost-effectiveness analysis of recruitment strategies in a community-based intervention study of HIV-infected persons. AIDS Care. 2003;15:717-28 pubmed..Using multiple recruitment approaches we successfully achieved our enrollment goal of at least 100 volunteers from diverse populations by the end of the planned recruitment period. ..
- Nel A, Mabude Z, Smit J, Kotze P, Arbuckle D, Wu J, et al. HIV incidence remains high in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: evidence from three districts. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e35278 pubmed publisher..7/100 PY (95% CI 2.6, 8.7) in Ladysmith, 3.1/100 PY (95% CI 0.9, 5.2) in Edendale and 6.3/100 PY (95% CI 3.0, 9.6) in Pinetown. HIV prevalence and incidence remain high in peri-urban areas of KwaZulu-Natal. ..
- Hosseinipour M, Bisson G, Miyahara S, Sun X, Moses A, Riviere C, et al. Empirical tuberculosis therapy versus isoniazid in adult outpatients with advanced HIV initiating antiretroviral therapy (REMEMBER): a multicountry open-label randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2016;387:1198-209 pubmed publisher..National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases through the AIDS Clinical Trials Group. ..
- Kim J, Jobe O, Peachman K, Michael N, Robb M, Rao M, et al. Quantitative analyses reveal distinct sensitivities of the capture of HIV-1 primary viruses and pseudoviruses to broadly neutralizing antibodies. Virology. 2017;508:188-198 pubmed publisher..These findings will have important implications for HIV-1 vaccine design and determination of vaccine efficacy. ..
- Kijak G, Sanders Buell E, Chenine A, Eller M, Goonetilleke N, Thomas R, et al. Rare HIV-1 transmitted/founder lineages identified by deep viral sequencing contribute to rapid shifts in dominant quasispecies during acute and early infection. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006510 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results demonstrate that early, deep, and frequent sampling is needed to investigate viral/host interaction during AHI, which could help identify prerequisites for prevention and cure of HIV-1 infection. ..
- O Connell R, Kim J, Corey L, Michael N. Human immunodeficiency virus vaccine trials. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 2012;2:a007351 pubmed publisher..We review the clinical trials of HIV vaccines that have provided insight into human immunogenicity or efficacy in preventing HIV-1 infection...
- Ding X, Andraca Carrera E, Cooper C, Miele P, Kornegay C, Soukup M, et al. No association of abacavir use with myocardial infarction: findings of an FDA meta-analysis. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2012;61:441-7 pubmed publisher..26% to 0.27%). To the best of our knowledge, our study represents the largest trial-level meta-analysis to date of clinical trials in which ABC use was randomized. Our analysis found no association between ABC use and MI risk. ..
- Klein H. Anonymous sex and HIV risk practices among men using the Internet specifically to find male partners for unprotected sex. Public Health. 2012;126:471-81 pubmed publisher..Interventionists should address anonymous sex practices among Internet-using, risk-seeking men in order to reduce the overall levels of HIV risk involvement. ..