Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on germ cells in Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Locale: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Topic: germ cells
- Tulina N, Matunis E. Control of stem cell self-renewal in Drosophila spermatogenesis by JAK-STAT signaling. Science. 2001;294:2546-9 pubmed..We conclude that the support cells of the hub signal to adjacent stem cells by activation of the JAK-STAT pathway, thereby defining a niche for stem cell self-renewal. ..
- Xie T, Spradling A. A niche maintaining germ line stem cells in the Drosophila ovary. Science. 2000;290:328-30 pubmed..Our studies implicate one of the somatic cell types, the cap cells, as a key niche component. ..
- Lin H, Spradling A. A novel group of pumilio mutations affects the asymmetric division of germline stem cells in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 1997;124:2463-76 pubmed..We have also identified a second and novel gene, piwi, whose mutations abolish germline stem cell division. ..
- Kerr C, Cheng L. The dazzle in germ cell differentiation. J Mol Cell Biol. 2010;2:26-9 pubmed publisher..Although factors that Dazl influences during this process have been identified, the underlying mechanisms warrant future studies. ..
- Gallo C, Munro E, Rasoloson D, Merritt C, Seydoux G. Processing bodies and germ granules are distinct RNA granules that interact in C. elegans embryos. Dev Biol. 2008;323:76-87 pubmed publisher..The maternal mRNA nos-2 is maintained in germ granules, but not in P-bodies. We conclude that P-bodies are distinct from germ granules, and represent a second class of RNA granules that behaves differently in somatic and germline cells. ..
- Castañeda J, Genzor P, Bortvin A. piRNAs, transposon silencing, and germline genome integrity. Mutat Res. 2011;714:95-104 pubmed publisher..In this review we will highlight these recent advances in piRNA mediated regulation of TEs in the mouse germline, as well as mention the repercussions of failure to properly regulate TEs. ..
- Jemc J, Milutinovich A, Weyers J, Takeda Y, Van Doren M. raw Functions through JNK signaling and cadherin-based adhesion to regulate Drosophila gonad morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2012;367:114-25 pubmed publisher..Further, loss of raw results in mislocalization of ?-catenin away from the cell surface. Therefore, cadherin-based cell adhesion, likely at the level of ?-catenin, is a primary mechanism by which Raw regulates germline-soma interaction. ..
- Spradling A, Zheng Y. Developmental biology. The mother of all stem cells?. Science. 2007;315:469-70 pubmed
- Tarayrah L, Herz H, Shilatifard A, Chen X. Histone demethylase dUTX antagonizes JAK-STAT signaling to maintain proper gene expression and architecture of the Drosophila testis niche. Development. 2013;140:1014-23 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our findings provide new insights into how an epigenetic factor regulates crosstalk among different cell types within an endogenous stem cell niche, and shed light on the biological functions of a histone demethylase in vivo. ..
- Voronina E, Paix A, Seydoux G. The P granule component PGL-1 promotes the localization and silencing activity of the PUF protein FBF-2 in germline stem cells. Development. 2012;139:3732-40 pubmed..Our findings also support the view that P granules facilitate mRNA silencing by providing an environment in which translational repressors can encounter their mRNA targets immediately upon exit from the nucleus. ..
- Ikadai H, Shaw Saliba K, Kanzok S, McLean K, Tanaka T, Cao J, et al. Transposon mutagenesis identifies genes essential for Plasmodium falciparum gametocytogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E1676-84 pubmed publisher..The remaining mutants seem to arrest before formation of stage I gametocytes and may represent genes involved in commitment to the gametocyte lineage...
- Lei L, Spradling A. Mouse primordial germ cells produce cysts that partially fragment prior to meiosis. Development. 2013;140:2075-81 pubmed publisher..Thus, cysts are invariant units of mouse germ cell development and cyst fragmentation provides insight into the amplification of spermatogonial stem cells and the origin of primordial follicles...
- Weyers J, Milutinovich A, Takeda Y, Jemc J, Van Doren M. A genetic screen for mutations affecting gonad formation in Drosophila reveals a role for the slit/robo pathway. Dev Biol. 2011;353:217-28 pubmed publisher..Our findings shed light on the complexities of gonadogenesis and the genetic regulation required for proper organ formation. ..
- Chen H, Chen X, Zheng Y. The nuclear lamina regulates germline stem cell niche organization via modulation of EGFR signaling. Cell Stem Cell. 2013;13:73-86 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have uncovered a role for the nuclear lamina in the integration of EGF signaling to regulate stem cell niche function. ..
- Weiser N, Yang D, Feng S, Kalinava N, Brown K, Khanikar J, et al. MORC-1 Integrates Nuclear RNAi and Transgenerational Chromatin Architecture to Promote Germline Immortality. Dev Cell. 2017;41:408-423.e7 pubmed publisher..Without MORC-1 and nuclear RNAi, MET-1-mediated encroachment of euchromatin leads to detrimental decondensation of germline chromatin and germline mortality. ..
- Issigonis M, Tulina N, de Cuevas M, Brawley C, Sandler L, Matunis E. JAK-STAT signal inhibition regulates competition in the Drosophila testis stem cell niche. Science. 2009;326:153-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, in niches housing multiple stem cell types, negative feedback loops can modulate signaling, preventing one stem cell population from outcompeting the other. ..
- Voronina E, Seydoux G. The C. elegans homolog of nucleoporin Nup98 is required for the integrity and function of germline P granules. Development. 2010;137:1441-50 pubmed publisher..In the mouse, Nup98 immunoprecipitates with the germ granule component MVH. Our findings suggest that, in germ cells, the function of Nup98 extends beyond transport at the nuclear pore to include mRNA regulation in the cytoplasm. ..
- Seydoux G, Braun R. Pathway to totipotency: lessons from germ cells. Cell. 2006;127:891-904 pubmed..Transcriptional repression, chromatin remodeling, and an emphasis on posttranscriptional gene regulation preserve the totipotent genome of germ cells through generations...
- Ottolenghi C, Pelosi E, Tran J, Colombino M, Douglass E, Nedorezov T, et al. Loss of Wnt4 and Foxl2 leads to female-to-male sex reversal extending to germ cells. Hum Mol Genet. 2007;16:2795-804 pubmed..The data suggest that the relative autonomy of the action of Foxl2, Wnt4 and additional ovarian factor(s) in the mouse should facilitate the dissection of their respective contributions to female sex determination. ..
- Seydoux G, Strome S. Launching the germline in Caenorhabditis elegans: regulation of gene expression in early germ cells. Development. 1999;126:3275-83 pubmed..In particular, mechanisms that repress the production of mRNAs appear to be essential to maintain germ cell fate and viability...
- de la Cova C, Townley R, Regot S, Greenwald I. A Real-Time Biosensor for ERK Activity Reveals Signaling Dynamics during C. elegans Cell Fate Specification. Dev Cell. 2017;42:542-553.e4 pubmed publisher..The toolkit described here will facilitate studies of ERK signaling in other C. elegans contexts, and the design features will enable implementation of this technology in other multicellular organisms. ..
- Ghosh A, Jacobs Lorena M. In Vitro Differentiation of Plasmodium falciparum Gametocytes into Ookinetes. Methods Mol Biol. 2013;923:27-33 pubmed..falciparum gametocytes into mature ookinetes and supports the complete development of ookinetes that retain the ability to infect the mosquito midgut and to produce oocysts. ..
- Migeon B, Lee C, Chowdhury A, Carpenter H. Species differences in TSIX/Tsix reveal the roles of these genes in X-chromosome inactivation. Am J Hum Genet. 2002;71:286-93 pubmed..Because human TSIX cannot imprint X inactivation in the placenta, it serves as a mutant for mouse Tsix, providing insights into features responsible for antisense activity in imprinted X inactivation. ..
- Seydoux G, Dunn M. Transcriptionally repressed germ cells lack a subpopulation of phosphorylated RNA polymerase II in early embryos of Caenorhabditis elegans and Drosophila melanogaster. Development. 1997;124:2191-201 pubmed..In addition, these studies also suggest that different phosphorylated isoforms of RNA polymerase II perform distinct functions. ..
- Jenkins A, McCaffery J, Van Doren M. Drosophila E-cadherin is essential for proper germ cell-soma interaction during gonad morphogenesis. Development. 2003;130:4417-26 pubmed..E-cadherin expression in the gonad is dramatically decreased in fear of intimacy mutants, indicating that Fear of Intimacy may be a regulator of E-cadherin expression or function. ..
- Ables E, Drummond Barbosa D. Cyclin E controls Drosophila female germline stem cell maintenance independently of its role in proliferation by modulating responsiveness to niche signals. Development. 2013;140:530-40 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results show unequivocally that the roles of CycE/Cdk2 in GSC division cycle regulation and GSC maintenance are separable, and thus potentially involve distinct sets of phosphorylation targets. ..
- Moreira C, Rodrigues F, Ghosh A, Varotti F, Miranda A, Daffre S, et al. Effect of the antimicrobial peptide gomesin against different life stages of Plasmodium spp. Exp Parasitol. 2007;116:346-53 pubmed..These properties make gomesin an excellent candidate as a transmission blocking agent for the genetic engineering of mosquitoes. ..
- Buszczak M, Paterno S, Spradling A. Drosophila stem cells share a common requirement for the histone H2B ubiquitin protease scrawny. Science. 2009;323:248-51 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that inhibiting H2B ubiquitylation through scny represents a common mechanism within stem cells that is used to repress the premature expression of key differentiation genes, including Notch target genes. ..
- Yang S, Baxter E, Van Doren M. Phf7 controls male sex determination in the Drosophila germline. Dev Cell. 2012;22:1041-51 pubmed publisher..We propose that PHF7 acts as a conserved epigenetic "reader" that activates the male germline sexual program. ..
- Casper A, Van Doren M. The establishment of sexual identity in the Drosophila germline. Development. 2009;136:3821-30 pubmed publisher..This is consistent with our findings that signals from the soma are dominant over germline autonomous cues at the initial stage of germline sex determination. ..
- Fang C, Roy S, Nielsen E, Paul M, Maul R, Paun A, et al. Unique contribution of IRF-5-Ikaros axis to the B-cell IgG2a response. Genes Immun. 2012;13:421-30 pubmed publisher..We show that IRF-8 but not IRF-4 activates the ikzf1 promoter, and IRF-5 inhibits the transcriptional activity of IRF-8. Collectively, these results identify the IRF-5-Ikaros axis as a critical modulator of IgG2a/c class switching. ..
- Mlambo G, Vasquez Y, LeBlanc R, Sullivan D, Kumar N. A filter paper method for the detection of Plasmodium falciparum gametocytes by reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2008;78:114-6 pubmed..This assay will greatly facilitate bulk analysis of gametocyte RNA transcripts on filter paper, especially in areas where collection and preservation of liquid blood is not feasible. ..
- Merritt C, Seydoux G. The Puf RNA-binding proteins FBF-1 and FBF-2 inhibit the expression of synaptonemal complex proteins in germline stem cells. Development. 2010;137:1787-98 pubmed publisher..We propose that parallel regulation by FBF ensures that in wild-type gonads, meiotic entry is coordinated with just-in-time synthesis of synaptonemal proteins...
- Lin H, Yue L, Spradling A. The Drosophila fusome, a germline-specific organelle, contains membrane skeletal proteins and functions in cyst formation. Development. 1994;120:947-56 pubmed..Our results imply that Drosophila fusomes are required for ovarian cyst formation and suggest that membrane skeletal proteins regulate cystocyte divisions. ..
- Tran V, Lim C, Xie J, Chen X. Asymmetric division of Drosophila male germline stem cell shows asymmetric histone distribution. Science. 2012;338:679-82 pubmed publisher..This work suggests that stem cells retain preexisting canonical histones during asymmetric cell divisions, probably as a mechanism to maintain their unique molecular properties. ..
- Dymecki S. Flp recombinase promotes site-specific DNA recombination in embryonic stem cells and transgenic mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:6191-6 pubmed..These properties indicate that Flp can be exploited to make prescribed alterations in the mouse genome. ..
- Casper A, Van Doren M. The control of sexual identity in the Drosophila germline. Development. 2006;133:2783-91 pubmed..Here, we explore how sexual identity is established in the Drosophila germline, how this affects other aspects of germ cell development and what studies in Drosophila can teach us about mammalian germ cells. ..
- D AGOSTINO I, Merritt C, Chen P, Seydoux G, Subramaniam K. Translational repression restricts expression of the C. elegans Nanos homolog NOS-2 to the embryonic germline. Dev Biol. 2006;292:244-52 pubmed
- Brawley C, Matunis E. Regeneration of male germline stem cells by spermatogonial dedifferentiation in vivo. Science. 2004;304:1331-4 pubmed..Thus, in the appropriate microenvironment, transit-amplifying cells dedifferentiate, becoming functional stem cells during tissue regeneration. ..
- Gallo C, Wang J, Motegi F, Seydoux G. Cytoplasmic partitioning of P granule components is not required to specify the germline in C. elegans. Science. 2010;330:1685-9 pubmed publisher..pptr-1 mutants are fertile, except at high temperatures. Hence, asymmetric partitioning of maternal P granules is not essential to specify germ cell fate. Instead, it may serve to protect the nascent germline from stress. ..