Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on g protein coupled receptors in Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Locale: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Topic: g protein coupled receptors
- Wachira S, Guruswamy B, Uradu L, Hughes Darden C, Denaro F. Activation and endocytic internalization of melanocortin 3 receptor in neuronal cells. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007;1096:271-86 pubmed
- Jang H, Kokrashvili Z, Theodorakis M, Carlson O, Kim B, Zhou J, et al. Gut-expressed gustducin and taste receptors regulate secretion of glucagon-like peptide-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:15069-74 pubmed..Modulating GLP-1 secretion in gut "taste cells" may provide an important treatment for obesity, diabetes and abnormal gut motility. ..
- Wang Y, Chang H, Nathans J. When whorls collide: the development of hair patterns in frizzled 6 mutant mice. Development. 2010;137:4091-9 pubmed publisher..Physical systems that undergo an analogous ordering of vector components suggest potential mechanisms that might apply to the patterning of hair follicles and related biological structures...
- Dotson C, Zhang L, Xu H, Shin Y, Vigues S, Ott S, et al. Bitter taste receptors influence glucose homeostasis. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3974 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings suggest that a functionally compromised TAS2R receptor negatively impacts glucose homeostasis, providing an important link between alimentary chemosensation and metabolic disease. ..
- Dann C, Hsieh J, Rattner A, Sharma D, Nathans J, Leahy D. Insights into Wnt binding and signalling from the structures of two Frizzled cysteine-rich domains. Nature. 2001;412:86-90 pubmed..This work provides a framework for studies of homologous CRDs in proteins including muscle-specific kinase and Smoothened, a component of the Hedgehog signalling pathway. ..
- Sicklick J, Li Y, Jayaraman A, Kannangai R, Qi Y, Vivekanandan P, et al. Dysregulation of the Hedgehog pathway in human hepatocarcinogenesis. Carcinogenesis. 2006;27:748-57 pubmed
- Chen J, Taipale J, Young K, Maiti T, Beachy P. Small molecule modulation of Smoothened activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:14071-6 pubmed..The mechanistic differences between the Smo antagonists may be useful in the therapeutic manipulation of Hh signaling...
- Brett C, Tukaye D, Mukherjee S, Rao R. The yeast endosomal Na+K+/H+ exchanger Nhx1 regulates cellular pH to control vesicle trafficking. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:1396-405 pubmed..This presents the newly defined family of eukaryotic endosomal NHE as novel targets for pharmacological inhibition to alleviate pathological states associated with organellar alkalinization. ..
- Dixit V, Weeraratna A, Yang H, Bertak D, Cooper Jenkins A, Riggins G, et al. Ghrelin and the growth hormone secretagogue receptor constitute a novel autocrine pathway in astrocytoma motility. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:16681-90 pubmed..Together, these findings suggest a novel role for the ghrelin/GHS-R axis in astrocytoma cell migration and invasiveness of cancers of central nervous system origin. ..
- Calabresi P, Yun S, Allie R, Whartenby K. Chemokine receptor expression on MBP-reactive T cells: CXCR6 is a marker of IFNgamma-producing effector cells. J Neuroimmunol. 2002;127:96-105 pubmed..CXCR6 and CXCR3 are likely to be important in the migration of effector memory T cells in Th1-mediated inflammatory diseases such as multiple sclerosis (MS). ..
- Yu H, Smallwood P, Wang Y, Vidaltamayo R, Reed R, Nathans J. Frizzled 1 and frizzled 2 genes function in palate, ventricular septum and neural tube closure: general implications for tissue fusion processes. Development. 2010;137:3707-17 pubmed publisher..These observations indicate that frizzled signaling is involved in diverse tissue closure processes, defects in which account for some of the most common congenital anomalies in humans...
- Liu Q, Tang Z, Surdenikova L, Kim S, Patel K, Kim A, et al. Sensory neuron-specific GPCR Mrgprs are itch receptors mediating chloroquine-induced pruritus. Cell. 2009;139:1353-65 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Mrgprs may provide molecular access to itch-selective neurons and constitute novel targets for itch therapeutics. ..
- Alcendor D, Zong J, Dolan A, Gatherer D, Davison A, Hayward G. Patterns of divergence in the vCXCL and vGPCR gene clusters in primate cytomegalovirus genomes. Virology. 2009;395:21-32 pubmed publisher..Both clusters appear to have evolved via complex duplication and deletion events. ..
- Lum L, Zhang C, Oh S, Mann R, von Kessler D, Taipale J, et al. Hedgehog signal transduction via Smoothened association with a cytoplasmic complex scaffolded by the atypical kinesin, Costal-2. Mol Cell. 2003;12:1261-74 pubmed..Positive response of Cos2 to Hh stimulation requires a portion of the Smo cytoplasmic tail and the Cos2 cargo domain, which interacts directly with Smo. ..
- Vigues S, Dotson C, Munger S. The receptor basis of sweet taste in mammals. Results Probl Cell Differ. 2009;47:187-202 pubmed publisher..In this chapter, we discuss some of the mechanisms underlying the detection of sweeteners by mammals, with a particular focus on the function and role of the T1R2:T1R3 receptor in these processes. ..
- Miller C, Dulay J. The high-affinity niacin receptor HM74A is decreased in the anterior cingulate cortex of individuals with schizophrenia. Brain Res Bull. 2008;77:33-41 pubmed publisher..These results are consistent with the blunted niacin flush response reported for individuals with schizophrenia and may be relevant to different rates of comorbid disease. ..
- Nyan D, Anbazhagan R, Hughes Darden C, Wachira S. Endosomal colocalization of melanocortin-3 receptor and beta-arrestins in CAD cells with altered modification of AKT/PKB. Neuropeptides. 2008;42:355-66 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that the AKT/PKB pathway plays an important role in the proliferation of CAD cells and suggest a link between MC3R and cell growth pathways that may involve the alteration of AKT/PKB signaling pathway. ..
- Morrell C, Sun H, Ikeda M, Beique J, Swaim A, Mason E, et al. Glutamate mediates platelet activation through the AMPA receptor. J Exp Med. 2008;205:575-84 pubmed publisher..Importantly, mice lacking GluR1 have a prolonged time to thrombosis in vivo. Our data identify glutamate as a regulator of platelet activation, and suggest that the AMPA receptor is a novel antithrombotic target. ..
- Yu S, Hackmann K, Gao J, Gao J, He X, Piontek K, et al. Essential role of cleavage of Polycystin-1 at G protein-coupled receptor proteolytic site for kidney tubular structure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:18688-93 pubmed..Our study establishes a critical but restricted role of cleavage for PC1 function and suggests a differential function of the two types of PC1 molecules in vivo. ..
- Guo N, Hawkins C, Nathans J. Frizzled6 controls hair patterning in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:9277-81 pubmed..These data imply that hair patterning in mammals uses a Fz-dependent tissue polarity system similar to the one that patterns the Drosophila cuticle. ..
- Duggal P, An P, Beaty T, Strathdee S, Farzadegan H, Markham R, et al. Genetic influence of CXCR6 chemokine receptor alleles on PCP-mediated AIDS progression among African Americans. Genes Immun. 2003;4:245-50 pubmed..We suggest that CXCR6 may play a role in late-stage HIV-1 infection and may alter the progression to death after initial infection with PCP. ..
- Dotson C, Shaw H, Mitchell B, Munger S, Steinle N. Variation in the gene TAS2R38 is associated with the eating behavior disinhibition in Old Order Amish women. Appetite. 2010;54:93-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results indicate that a polymorphism in TAS2R38 is associated with differences in ingestive behavior. ..
- Lum L, Beachy P. The Hedgehog response network: sensors, switches, and routers. Science. 2004;304:1755-9 pubmed
- Zhu W, Chakir K, Zhang S, Yang D, Lavoie C, Bouvier M, et al. Heterodimerization of beta1- and beta2-adrenergic receptor subtypes optimizes beta-adrenergic modulation of cardiac contractility. Circ Res. 2005;97:244-51 pubmed
- Nie Y, Hobbs J, Vigues S, Olson W, Conn G, Munger S. Expression and purification of functional ligand-binding domains of T1R3 taste receptors. Chem Senses. 2006;31:505-13 pubmed..This methodology should not only facilitate the characterization of T1R ligand interactions but may also be useful for dissecting the function of other class C GPCRs such as the large family of orphan V2R vomeronasal receptors. ..
- Liu C, Nathans J. An essential role for frizzled 5 in mammalian ocular development. Development. 2008;135:3567-76 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate a central role for frizzled signaling in mammalian eye development and are likely to be relevant to the etiology of congenital human ocular anomalies. ..
- Lee M, Dong X, Liu Q, Patel K, Choi O, Vonakis B, et al. Agonists of the MAS-related gene (Mrgs) orphan receptors as novel mediators of mast cell-sensory nerve interactions. J Immunol. 2008;180:2251-5 pubmed..These data support the hypothesis that agonists of certain sensory nerve specific receptors or mas related genes may participate in mast cell sensory nerve interactions. ..
- Wang Y, Badea T, Nathans J. Order from disorder: Self-organization in mammalian hair patterning. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:19800-5 pubmed..These experiments define two systems for hair orientation: a global orienting system that acts early in development and is Fz6-dependent, and a local self-organizing system that acts later and is Fz6 independent. ..