Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on feeding behavior in Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Locale: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Topic: feeding behavior
- Surkan P, Tabrizi M, Lee R, Palmer A, Frick K. Eat Right-Live Well! Supermarket Intervention Impact onÂ Sales of Healthy Foods in a Low-Income Neighborhood. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2016;48:112-21.e1 pubmed publisher..0%) than the control store (7,306 items; 6.3%). Store-based interventions, particularly high-fidelity labeling, can increase promoted food sales. ..
- Warwick Z, Synowski S, Rice K, Smart A. Independent effects of diet palatability and fat content on bout size and daily intake in rats. Physiol Behav. 2003;80:253-8 pubmed
- Cifani C, Koya E, Navarre B, Calu D, Baumann M, Marchant N, et al. Medial prefrontal cortex neuronal activation and synaptic alterations after stress-induced reinstatement of palatable food seeking: a study using c-fos-GFP transgenic female rats. J Neurosci. 2012;32:8480-90 pubmed publisher..Our paper introduces the c-fos-GFP transgenic rat as a new tool to study unique synaptic changes in activated neurons during behavior. ..
- Klingaman E, Hoerster K, Aakre J, Viverito K, Medoff D, Goldberg R. Veterans with PTSD report more weight loss barriers than Veterans with no mental health disorders. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2016;39:1-7 pubmed publisher..The results of this study help to explain the lower rates of success of Veterans with PTSD in weight loss programs. Results suggest that a comprehensive, integrated approach to promoting weight loss in Veterans with PTSD is needed. ..
- Norris L, Fornadel C, Hung W, Pineda F, Norris D. Frequency of multiple blood meals taken in a single gonotrophic cycle by Anopheles arabiensis mosquitoes in Macha, Zambia. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010;83:33-7 pubmed publisher..Although P. falciparum infection status was not shown to influence the frequency of multiple blood feeding, the high multiple feeding rate found in this study increased predicted malaria risk by increasing EIR. ..
- Provost Javier K, Chen S, Rasgon J. Vitellogenin gene expression in autogenous Culex tarsalis. Insect Mol Biol. 2010;19:423-9 pubmed publisher..Vitellogenin transcript, primarily produced from the Vg1b gene, was also detected in the larval and pupal stages of development, but no detectable vitellogenin protein was produced during this time period. ..
- Soto P, Grandy D, Hursh S, Katz J. Behavioral economics of food reinforcement and the effects of prefeeding, extinction, and eticlopride in dopamine D2 receptor mutant mice. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2011;215:775-84 pubmed publisher..The maintenance of responding in KO mice indicates that the DA D(2)R is not necessary for reinforcement. However, the economic analysis indicates that the DA D(2)R contributes substantially to the effectiveness of food reinforcement. ..
- Galarce E, Holland P. Effects of cues associated with meal interruption on feeding behavior. Appetite. 2009;52:693-702 pubmed publisher..These experiments may provide a novel animal model of binge-like behaviors in sated rats induced by external cues paired with meal interruption. ..
- Black M, Creed Kanashiro H. [How to feed children? Healthy eating behaviors starting at childhood]. Rev Peru Med Exp Salud Publica. 2012;29:373-8 pubmed..In this article, we give recommendations to include responsive nutrition and model healthy eating behaviors in nutritional interventions. ..
- Weerts E, Froestl W, Griffiths R. Effects of GABAergic modulators on food and cocaine self-administration in baboons. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2005;80:369-76 pubmed..Thus, the effects of alprazolam were specific for cocaine-maintained behavior, where as the effects of baclofen and CGP44532 were not. ..
- Aja S, Ewing C, Lin J, Hyun J, Moran T. Blockade of central GLP-1 receptors prevents CART-induced hypophagia and brain c-Fos expression. Peptides. 2006;27:157-64 pubmed..These data suggest that i.c.v. CART administration activates a central release of GLP-1 to inhibit feeding and produce widespread neural activation. ..
- Lash D, Smith J, Rinehart J. Can the Theory of Planned Behavior predict dietary intention and future dieting in an ethnically diverse sample of overweight and obese veterans attending medical clinics?. Appetite. 2016;99:185-192 pubmed publisher..The need for more work with older, overweight/obese medical patients attending veterans' facilities is stressed, as is the need for such work with male patients and ethnic minorities in particular. ..
- Hulgard K, Moss C, Jakobsen L, Surlykke A. Big brown bats (Eptesicus fuscus) emit intense search calls and fly in stereotyped flight paths as they forage in the wild. J Exp Biol. 2016;219:334-40 pubmed publisher..We also observed that E. fuscus appear to follow stereotypic flight paths, and propose that this could be a strategy to optimize foraging efficiency by minimizing the sensory processing load. ..
- Wilkinson G, Carter G, Bohn K, Adams D. Non-kin cooperation in bats. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2016;371:20150095 pubmed publisher..These studies illustrate how bats can serve as models for understanding how cooperation is regulated in social vertebrates. ..
- Wolfson J, Bleich S, Smith K, Frattaroli S. What does cooking mean to you?: Perceptions of cooking and factors related to cooking behavior. Appetite. 2016;97:146-54 pubmed publisher..Public health messages to encourage more frequent cooking should account for the heterogeneity in perspectives about cooking. More research should explore differences in perceptions about cooking in other diverse populations. ..
- Kuhajda F, Landree L, Ronnett G. The connections between C75 and obesity drug-target pathways. Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2005;26:541-4 pubmed..In this article, we discuss the latest data challenging the relationship between fatty acid synthase inhibition and C75-induced anorexia. ..
- Dumler J, Walker D. Rocky Mountain spotted fever--changing ecology and persisting virulence. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:551-3 pubmed
- Palmer J, Hiiemae K, Matsuo K, Haishima H. Volitional control of food transport and bolus formation during feeding. Physiol Behav. 2007;91:66-70 pubmed..06). Under the command condition, stage II transport was delayed, and transport to the valleculae was inhibited. Volition alters swallow initiation in both the timing and location of the food bolus relative to the airway. ..
- Kim E, Miller I, Aja S, Landree L, Pinn M, McFadden J, et al. C75, a fatty acid synthase inhibitor, reduces food intake via hypothalamic AMP-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:19970-6 pubmed..These data indicate that modulation of FAS activity in the hypothalamus can alter energy perception via AMPK, which functions as a physiological energy sensor in the hypothalamus. ..
- Nair S, Adams Deutsch T, Epstein D, Shaham Y. The neuropharmacology of relapse to food seeking: methodology, main findings, and comparison with relapse to drug seeking. Prog Neurobiol. 2009;89:18-45 pubmed publisher..3)The neuronal mechanisms underlying reinstatement of food seeking overlap to some degree with those of reinstatement of drug seeking. ..
- Wolfgang M, Kurama T, Dai Y, Suwa A, Asaumi M, Matsumoto S, et al. The brain-specific carnitine palmitoyltransferase-1c regulates energy homeostasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:7282-7 pubmed..These findings indicate that CPT1c is necessary for the regulation of energy homeostasis. ..
- Nair S, Adams Deutsch T, Pickens C, Smith D, Shaham Y. Effects of the MCH1 receptor antagonist SNAP 94847 on high-fat food-reinforced operant responding and reinstatement of food seeking in rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2009;205:129-40 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that different mechanisms mediate food-reinforced operant responding and reinstatement of food seeking. ..
- Das S, Dimopoulos G. Molecular analysis of photic inhibition of blood-feeding in Anopheles gambiae. BMC Physiol. 2008;8:23 pubmed publisher..Long and short light pulses can induce inhibition of blood-feeding through circadian and unknown mechanisms, respectively, that involve the chemosensory system. ..
- Gao S, Kinzig K, Aja S, Scott K, Keung W, Kelly S, et al. Leptin activates hypothalamic acetyl-CoA carboxylase to inhibit food intake. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:17358-63 pubmed..Together, these findings highlight site-specific impacts of hypothalamic ACC activation in leptin's anorectic signaling cascade. ..
- Mulenga A, Macaluso K, Simser J, Azad A. The American dog tick, Dermacentor variabilis, encodes a functional histamine release factor homolog. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2003;33:911-9 pubmed..Our results suggest the existence of a tick-derived multifaceted control mechanism for levels of histamine at tick feeding sites...
- Qureshi M, Vice F, Taciak V, Bosma J, Gewolb I. Changes in rhythmic suckle feeding patterns in term infants in the first month of life. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2002;44:34-9 pubmed
- Aja S, Bi S, Knipp S, McFadden J, Ronnett G, Kuhajda F, et al. Intracerebroventricular C75 decreases meal frequency and reduces AgRP gene expression in rats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006;291:R148-54 pubmed..Overall, the data suggest that gene expression changes leading to altered melanocortin signaling are important for the hypophagic response to intracerebroventricular C75. ..
- Moran T, Bi S. Hyperphagia and obesity of OLETF rats lacking CCK1 receptors: developmental aspects. Dev Psychobiol. 2006;48:360-7 pubmed..These lasting metabolic effects of exercise may be secondary to an exercise induced reduction in DMH NPY mRNA expression. ..
- Dotson C, Shaw H, Mitchell B, Munger S, Steinle N. Variation in the gene TAS2R38 is associated with the eating behavior disinhibition in Old Order Amish women. Appetite. 2010;54:93-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results indicate that a polymorphism in TAS2R38 is associated with differences in ingestive behavior. ..
- Carlson D, Le W, Chiu W, Hoffman G. Messenger RNA for neuropeptide Y in the arcuate nucleus increases in parallel with plasma adrenocorticotropin during sepsis in the rat. Neurosci Lett. 2009;452:146-50 pubmed publisher..However, the suppression of feeding behavior in the CLP model suggests that sepsis activates additional mechanisms that negate the orexigenic contribution of the neuronal increase in NPY mRNA. ..
- Moran T, Bi S. Hyperphagia and obesity in OLETF rats lacking CCK-1 receptors. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2006;361:1211-8 pubmed..The OLETF rat is a valuable model for characterizing actions of CCK in energy balance and has provided novel insights into interactions between exercise and food intake...
- Thut P, Hermanstyne T, Flake N, Gold M. An operant conditioning model to assess changes in feeding behavior associated with temporomandibular joint inflammation in the rat. J Orofac Pain. 2007;21:7-18 pubmed..Only 2 days of training are required to obtain a stable baseline IFI. It is possible to detect changes in IFI as small as 40% with 12 rats per group. ..
- van der Meij B, Wijnhoven H, Lee J, Houston D, Hue T, Harris T, et al. Poor Appetite and Dietary Intake in Community-Dwelling Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65:2190-2197 pubmed publisher..Better understanding of the specific dietary intake pattern related to a poor appetite in older adults can be used for nutrition interventions to enhance food intake, diet variety, and diet quality. ..
- Nelson T, Munger S, Boughter J. Taste sensitivities to PROP and PTC vary independently in mice. Chem Senses. 2003;28:695-704 pubmed..Most strikingly, these results demonstrate that in mice, unlike in humans, PTC and PROP taste sensitivities vary independently, thereby suggesting a subtle functional diversity of bitter-taste mechanisms across mammalian species. ..
- Nair S, Gray S, Ghitza U. Role of food type in yohimbine- and pellet-priming-induced reinstatement of food seeking. Physiol Behav. 2006;88:559-66 pubmed..Results suggest that the magnitude of the effect of yohimbine and pellet priming on reinstatement of food seeking depends in part on the composition of the food pellets used during training. ..
- Calu D, Chen Y, Kawa A, Nair S, Shaham Y. The use of the reinstatement model to study relapse to palatable food seeking during dieting. Neuropharmacology. 2014;76 Pt B:395-406 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled 'NIDA 40th Anniversary Issue'. ..
- Scrafford C, Mullany L, Katz J, Khatry S, LeClerq S, Darmstadt G, et al. Incidence of and risk factors for neonatal jaundice among newborns in southern Nepal. Trop Med Int Health. 2013;18:1317-28 pubmed publisher..Future research should investigate the role of an infant's difficulty in feeding as a potential modifier in the association between exclusive breastfeeding and jaundice. ..
- Lee Y, Kim S, Montell C. Avoiding DEET through insect gustatory receptors. Neuron. 2010;67:555-61 pubmed publisher..Since 0.02% DEET elicited action potentials, we conclude that DEET directly activates of GRNs. We suggest that the effectiveness of DEET in pest control owes to its dual action in inducing avoidance simultaneously via GRNs and ORNs...
- Das S, Radtke A, Choi Y, Mendes A, Valenzuela J, Dimopoulos G. Transcriptomic and functional analysis of the Anopheles gambiae salivary gland in relation to blood feeding. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:566 pubmed publisher..A better understanding of the salivary gland transcriptome and its function can contribute to the development of pathogen transmission control strategies and the identification of medically relevant bioactive compounds. ..
- Malkiel E, Sheng J, Katz J, Strickler J. The three-dimensional flow field generated by a feeding calanoid copepod measured using digital holography. J Exp Biol. 2003;206:3657-66 pubmed..2x10(-9) N), its excess density (6.7 kg m(-3)) and the propulsive force generated by its feeding appendages (1.8x10(-8) N). ..
- Schindler C, Gilman J, Panlilio L, McCann D, Goldberg S. Comparison of the effects of methamphetamine, bupropion, and methylphenidate on the self-administration of methamphetamine by rhesus monkeys. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2011;19:1-10 pubmed publisher..Although the most robust effects occurred with a high dose of methamphetamine, safety and abuse liability considerations suggest that bupropion should also be considered for further evaluation as a methamphetamine addiction treatment. ..
- Purcell R, Sun B, Pass L, Power M, Moran T, Tamashiro K. Maternal stress and high-fat diet effect on maternal behavior, milk composition, and pup ingestive behavior. Physiol Behav. 2011;104:474-9 pubmed publisher..Alterations in maternal care, milk composition, and pup consumption during the early postnatal period may contribute to long-term changes in body weight and adiposity induced by maternal prenatal stress or high-fat diet. ..