Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on ethnic groups in Rockville, Maryland, United States
Locale: Rockville, Maryland, United States
Topic: ethnic groups
- Portugal S, Doumtabe D, Traore B, Miller L, Troye Blomberg M, Doumbo O, et al. B cell analysis of ethnic groups in Mali with differential susceptibility to malaria. Malar J. 2012;11:162 pubmed publisher..falciparum infection is associated with a higher percentage of plasma cells in the Fulani compared to the Dogon, findings that may account for the higher levels of P. falciparum antibodies in the Fulani. ..
- Weinfurter P, Blumberg H, Goldbaum G, Royce R, Pang J, Tapia J, et al. Predictors of discordant tuberculin skin test and QuantiFERON®-TB Gold In-Tube results in various high-risk groups. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2011;15:1056-61 pubmed publisher..QFT-GIT may be an improvement over the TST for diagnosing LTBI in foreign-born and older persons, and may be as useful as the TST in HIV-infected persons. The sensitivity of both tests may be low in HIV-infected persons. ..
- Gonzales F, Jones R, Deardorff J, Windham G, Hiatt R, Kushi L. Neighborhood deprivation, race/ethnicity, and urinary metal concentrations among young girls in California. Environ Int. 2016;91:29-39 pubmed publisher..These differential distributions of exposures may contribute to environmental health disparities later in life. ..
- Andaya A, Enewold L, Zahm S, Shriver C, Stojadinovic A, McGlynn K, et al. Race and colon cancer survival in an equal-access health care system. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2013;22:1030-6 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that factors other than access to care may be related to racial disparities in colon cancer survival among younger, but not older, patients. ..
- Chernausek S, Arslanian S, Caprio S, Copeland K, El Ghormli L, Kelsey M, et al. Relationship Between Parental Diabetes and Presentation of Metabolic and Glycemic Function in Youth With Type 2 Diabetes: Baseline Findings From the TODAY Trial. Diabetes Care. 2016;39:110-7 pubmed publisher..More targeted research is needed to understand whether the impact of maternal diabetes is modified by racial/ethnic factors or whether the pathway to youth-onset type 2 diabetes differs by race/ethnicity. ..
- Moy E, Freeman W. Federal investments to eliminate racial/ethnic health-care disparities. Public Health Rep. 2014;129 Suppl 2:62-70 pubmed..Federal policy makers should continue interest in workforce diversity to optimize the health of all Americans. ..
- Bowers K, Laughon S, Kiely M, Brite J, Chen Z, Zhang C. Gestational diabetes, pre-pregnancy obesity and pregnancy weight gain in relation to excess fetal growth: variations by race/ethnicity. Diabetologia. 2013;56:1263-71 pubmed publisher..Our objective was to examine the joint effects of pre-pregnancy adiposity, pregnancy weight gain and gestational diabetes (GDM) in relation to excess fetal growth and to identify susceptible races or ethnic populations...
- Castro F, Koshiol J, Hsing A, Devesa S. Biliary tract cancer incidence in the United States-Demographic and temporal variations by anatomic site. Int J Cancer. 2013;133:1664-71 pubmed publisher..These observations may help guide future etiologic studies. ..
- Karaca Z, Wong H, Mutter R. Duration of patients' visits to the hospital emergency department. BMC Emerg Med. 2012;12:15 pubmed publisher..The duration of T&R ED visits varied significantly by admission hour, day of the week, patient volume, patient characteristics, hospital characteristics and area characteristics. ..
- Singh G, Siahpush M, Hiatt R, Timsina L. Dramatic increases in obesity and overweight prevalence and body mass index among ethnic-immigrant and social class groups in the United States, 1976-2008. J Community Health. 2011;36:94-110 pubmed publisher..Continued immigrant and socioeconomic disparities in prevalence will likely have substantial impacts on future obesity trends in the US. ..
- Brinton L, Carreon J, Gierach G, McGlynn K, Gridley G. Etiologic factors for male breast cancer in the U.S. Veterans Affairs medical care system database. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010;119:185-92 pubmed publisher..03), obesity (1.91, 1.50-2.44), and orchitis/epididymitis (1.80, 1.08-3.01). These results support previous speculations that male breast cancer is influenced not only by tissue at risk, but also by hormonal and inflammatory factors. ..
- Purdue M, Hartge P, Davis S, Cerhan J, Colt J, Cozen W, et al. Sun exposure, vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Cancer Causes Control. 2007;18:989-99 pubmed..Our results suggest that the inverse association between UV exposure and NHL risk may be mediated by the vitamin D pathway. Further investigation of this finding in other studies is warranted. ..
- Lebrun L, Chowdhury J, Sripipatana A, Nair S, Tomoyasu N, Ngo Metzger Q. Overweight/obesity and weight-related treatment among patients in U.S. federally supported health centers. Obes Res Clin Pract. 2013;7:e377-90 pubmed publisher..S. population. Efforts to address weight problems during primary care visits are needed to reduce the burden of obesity and its sequellae among health center patients. ..
- Delahanty L, Kriska A, Edelstein S, Amodei N, Chadwick J, Copeland K, et al. Self-reported dietary intake of youth with recent onset of type 2 diabetes: results from the TODAY study. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013;113:431-9 pubmed publisher..The data suggest a critical need for better approaches to improve dietary intake of these young people. ..