Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila proteins in Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Locale: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Topic: drosophila proteins
Publications164 found, 100 shown here
- Spradling A, Bellen H, Hoskins R. Drosophila P elements preferentially transpose to replication origins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:15948-53 pubmed publisher..The advantage transposons gain by moving from replicated to unreplicated genomic regions may contribute to the association of heterochromatin with late-replicating genomic regions. ..
- Chung S, Andrew D. Cadherin 99C regulates apical expansion and cell rearrangement during epithelial tube elongation. Development. 2014;141:1950-60 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of Cad99C or SAS results in similar, but distinct effects, suggesting both shared and unique roles for these proteins in conferring apical identity. ..
- Byrd K, Corces V. Visualization of chromatin domains created by the gypsy insulator of Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:565-74 pubmed..These results suggest that the gypsy insulator might establish higher-order domains of chromatin structure and regulate nuclear organization by tethering the DNA to the nuclear matrix and creating chromatin loops. ..
- Terman J, Kolodkin A. Nervy links protein kinase a to plexin-mediated semaphorin repulsion. Science. 2004;303:1204-7 pubmed..Thus, Nervy couples cAMP-PKA signaling to PlexA to regulate Sema-1a-mediated axonal repulsion, revealing a simple molecular mechanism that allows growing axons to integrate inputs from multiple guidance cues. ..
- Mello C, Barrick D. An experimentally determined protein folding energy landscape. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:14102-7 pubmed..These linear energy terms define an equilibrium free energy landscape, which shows an early free energy barrier and suggests preferred low-energy routes for folding. ..
- Silver D, Geisbrecht E, Montell D. Requirement for JAK/STAT signaling throughout border cell migration in Drosophila. Development. 2005;132:3483-92 pubmed..Together, our findings suggest that the requirement for STAT in border cells extends beyond the initial specification and delamination of cells from the epithelium. ..
- Mathews W, Ong D, Milutinovich A, Van Doren M. Zinc transport activity of Fear of Intimacy is essential for proper gonad morphogenesis and DE-cadherin expression. Development. 2006;133:1143-53 pubmed..This work indicates that zinc is a crucial regulator of developmental processes and can affect DE-cadherin expression on multiple levels. ..
- McDonald J, Pinheiro E, Kadlec L, Schupbach T, Montell D. Multiple EGFR ligands participate in guiding migrating border cells. Dev Biol. 2006;296:94-103 pubmed..In addition, only Keren and Spitz were expressed at the appropriate stage in the oocyte, the target of border cell migration. Therefore, a complex combination of EGFR and PVR ligands together guide border cells to the oocyte. ..
- McLellan J, Yao S, Zheng X, Geisbrecht B, Ghirlando R, Beachy P, et al. Structure of a heparin-dependent complex of Hedgehog and Ihog. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:17208-13 pubmed..These results establish that Hh directly binds Ihog and provide the first demonstration of a specific role for heparin in Hh responsiveness. ..
- Wu S, Liu Y, Zheng Y, Dong J, Pan D. The TEAD/TEF family protein Scalloped mediates transcriptional output of the Hippo growth-regulatory pathway. Dev Cell. 2008;14:388-98 pubmed publisher..Our results uncover a heretofore missing link in the Hpo signaling pathway and provide a glimpse of the molecular events on a Hpo-responsive enhancer element. ..
- Sun J, Spradling A. NR5A nuclear receptor Hr39 controls three-cell secretory unit formation in Drosophila female reproductive glands. Curr Biol. 2012;22:862-71 pubmed publisher..Hr39 functions as a master regulator of a program that may have been conserved throughout animal evolution for the production of female reproductive glands and other secretory tissues. ..
- Eun S, Stoiber P, Wright H, McMurdie K, Choi C, Gan Q, et al. MicroRNAs downregulate Bag of marbles to ensure proper terminal differentiation in the Drosophila male germline. Development. 2013;140:23-30 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that microRNAs control the stem cell differentiation pathway through regulating Bam, the downregulation of which is crucial for proper spermatid terminal differentiation. ..
- Ables E, Drummond Barbosa D. Cyclin E controls Drosophila female germline stem cell maintenance independently of its role in proliferation by modulating responsiveness to niche signals. Development. 2013;140:530-40 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results show unequivocally that the roles of CycE/Cdk2 in GSC division cycle regulation and GSC maintenance are separable, and thus potentially involve distinct sets of phosphorylation targets. ..
- Ghosh D, Gerasimova T, Corces V. Interactions between the Su(Hw) and Mod(mdg4) proteins required for gypsy insulator function. EMBO J. 2001;20:2518-27 pubmed..The results provide a biochemical basis for the aggregation of multiple insulator sites and support the role of the gypsy insulator in nuclear organization. ..
- Silver D, Montell D. Paracrine signaling through the JAK/STAT pathway activates invasive behavior of ovarian epithelial cells in Drosophila. Cell. 2001;107:831-41 pubmed..Ectopic expression of either UPD or JAK is sufficient to induce extra epithelial cells to migrate. Thus, a localized signal activates the JAK/STAT pathway in neighboring epithelial cells, causing them to become invasive. ..
- Mann R, Beachy P. Novel lipid modifications of secreted protein signals. Annu Rev Biochem. 2004;73:891-923 pubmed
- DeFalco T, Le Bras S, Van Doren M. Abdominal-B is essential for proper sexually dimorphic development of the Drosophila gonad. Mech Dev. 2004;121:1323-33 pubmed..Our results indicate that Abd-B acts at multiple levels to regulate gonad development and that Abd-B class homeotic genes are conserved factors in establishing gonad sexual dimorphism in diverse species. ..
- Tripp K, Barrick D. The tolerance of a modular protein to duplication and deletion of internal repeats. J Mol Biol. 2004;344:169-78 pubmed..These results demonstrate both an asymmetry between the duplication and deletion of internal repeats, and a difference between deletion of internal and end-repeats, suggesting preferred mechanisms for evolution of repeat proteins. ..
- Cox R, Spradling A. Milton controls the early acquisition of mitochondria by Drosophila oocytes. Development. 2006;133:3371-7 pubmed
- DeFalco T, Camara N, Le Bras S, Van Doren M. Nonautonomous sex determination controls sexually dimorphic development of the Drosophila gonad. Dev Cell. 2008;14:275-86 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that nonautonomous sex determination is important for creating sexual dimorphism in the Drosophila gonad, similar to the manner in which sex-specific gonad formation is controlled in mammals. ..
- Cherry C, MATUNIS E. Epigenetic regulation of stem cell maintenance in the Drosophila testis via the nucleosome-remodeling factor NURF. Cell Stem Cell. 2010;6:557-67 pubmed publisher..Thus, local signals cooperate with specific chromatin-remodeling complexes in intact niches to coordinately regulate a common set of target genes to prevent premature stem cell differentiation. ..
- Urban S, Dickey S. The rhomboid protease family: a decade of progress on function and mechanism. Genome Biol. 2011;12:231 pubmed publisher..Rhomboid proteases are unlike most proteolytic enzymes, because they are membrane-immersed; understanding how the membrane immersion affects their function remains a key challenge. ..
- Jemc J, Milutinovich A, Weyers J, Takeda Y, Van Doren M. raw Functions through JNK signaling and cadherin-based adhesion to regulate Drosophila gonad morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2012;367:114-25 pubmed publisher..Further, loss of raw results in mislocalization of ?-catenin away from the cell surface. Therefore, cadherin-based cell adhesion, likely at the level of ?-catenin, is a primary mechanism by which Raw regulates germline-soma interaction. ..
- Bossuyt W, Chen C, Chen Q, Sudol M, McNeill H, Pan D, et al. An evolutionary shift in the regulation of the Hippo pathway between mice and flies. Oncogene. 2014;33:1218-28 pubmed publisher..We conclude that fundamental differences exist in the upstream regulatory mechanisms of Hippo signaling between Drosophila and vertebrates. ..
- Monahan A, Starz Gaiano M. Socs36E attenuates STAT signaling to optimize motile cell specification in the Drosophila ovary. Dev Biol. 2013;379:152-66 pubmed publisher..Our work shows Socs36E plays a critical role in a genetic circuit that establishes a boundary between the motile border cell cluster and its non-invasive epithelial neighbors through STAT attenuation. ..
- Ohlstein B, Spradling A. The adult Drosophila posterior midgut is maintained by pluripotent stem cells. Nature. 2006;439:470-4 pubmed..The identification of Drosophila intestinal stem cells with striking similarities to their vertebrate counterparts will facilitate the genetic analysis of normal and abnormal intestinal function. ..
- Lighthouse D, Buszczak M, Spradling A. New components of the Drosophila fusome suggest it plays novel roles in signaling and transport. Dev Biol. 2008;317:59-71 pubmed publisher..In contrast, rab11 is required to maintain the germline stem cells, and to maintain the vesicle content of the spectrosome, suggesting that the fusome mediates intercellular signals that depend on the recycling endosome. ..
- Sun B, Hursh D, Jackson D, Beachy P. Ultrabithorax protein is necessary but not sufficient for full activation of decapentaplegic expression in the visceral mesoderm. EMBO J. 1995;14:520-35 pubmed..In addition, a distinct regulatory mode not directly involving Ubx protein also appears to contribute to PS7-specific expression. ..
- Fyrberg C, Becker J, Barthmaier P, Mahaffey J, Fyrberg E. A Drosophila muscle-specific gene related to the mouse quaking locus. Gene. 1997;197:315-23 pubmed..Finally, we have used the gene, which we have named quaking-related 93F (qkr93F), to identify a family of closely related KH domains. ..
- Taipale J, Chen J, Cooper M, Wang B, Mann R, Milenkovic L, et al. Effects of oncogenic mutations in Smoothened and Patched can be reversed by cyclopamine. Nature. 2000;406:1005-9 pubmed..Our results also indicate that cyclopamine may act by influencing the balance between active and inactive forms of Smoothened. ..
- Liu J, Fire A. Overlapping roles of two Hox genes and the exd ortholog ceh-20 in diversification of the C. elegans postembryonic mesoderm. Development. 2000;127:5179-90 pubmed..We present evidence from mutant phenotypes that twist is not the only target for Hox genes in the M lineage: in particular we show that lin-39 mab-5 double mutants exhibit a more severe M lineage defect than the hlh-8 null mutant. ..
- Whitford K, Ghosh A. Plexin signaling via off-track and rho family GTPases. Neuron. 2001;32:1-3 pubmed..Hu et al. examine the coupling of Plexin B to Rac and RhoA and propose that Plexin B signaling involves inhibition of Rac function by direct sequestration and simultaneous activation of RhoA. ..
- Terman J, Mao T, Pasterkamp R, Yu H, Kolodkin A. MICALs, a family of conserved flavoprotein oxidoreductases, function in plexin-mediated axonal repulsion. Cell. 2002;109:887-900 pubmed..These results suggest a novel role for oxidoreductases in repulsive neuronal guidance. ..
- Bai J, Montell D. Eyes absent, a key repressor of polar cell fate during Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 2002;129:5377-88 pubmed..Finally, we show that ectopic Hedgehog signaling, which is known to cause ectopic polar cell formation, does so by repressing eya expression in epithelial follicle cells. ..
- Murphy T. Drosophila skpA, a component of SCF ubiquitin ligases, regulates centrosome duplication independently of cyclin E accumulation. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:2321-32 pubmed..These data suggest that additional SCF targets regulate the centrosome duplication pathway...
- DeFalco T, Verney G, Jenkins A, McCaffery J, Russell S, Van Doren M. Sex-specific apoptosis regulates sexual dimorphism in the Drosophila embryonic gonad. Dev Cell. 2003;5:205-16 pubmed..Our work furthers the hypotheses that a conserved pathway controls gonad sexual dimorphism in diverse species and that sex-specific cell recruitment and programmed cell death are common mechanisms for creating sexual dimorphism. ..
- Jiao Y, Moon S, Wang X, Ren Q, Montell C. Gr64f is required in combination with other gustatory receptors for sugar detection in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1797-801 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that Drosophila sugar receptors function as multimers and that Gr64f is required broadly as a coreceptor for the detection of sugars. ..
- Sheng X, Posenau T, Gumulak Smith J, Matunis E, Van Doren M, Wawersik M. Jak-STAT regulation of male germline stem cell establishment during Drosophila embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2009;334:335-44 pubmed publisher..These findings show that stem cell formation is closely linked to development of the stem cell niche, and suggest that Jak-STAT signaling is required for initial establishment of the GSC population in developing testes. ..
- Elsaesser R, Kalra D, Li R, Montell C. Light-induced translocation of Drosophila visual Arrestin2 depends on Rac2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:4740-5 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that light-induced translocation of Arr2 occurs through a noncanonical rhodopsin/Rac2 pathway, which is distinct from the classical phototransduction cascade. ..
- Shilagardi K, Li S, Luo F, Marikar F, Duan R, Jin P, et al. Actin-propelled invasive membrane protrusions promote fusogenic protein engagement during cell-cell fusion. Science. 2013;340:359-63 pubmed publisher..This de novo cell fusion culture system reveals a general role for actin-propelled invasive membrane protrusions in driving fusogenic protein engagement during cell-cell fusion. ..
- ..report development of a high-throughput assay designed specifically for extracellular proteins that uncovers a wealth of new interactions among three protein superfamilies in Drosophila and sets the stage for more extensive screens. ..
- Liu S, Lamaze A, Liu Q, Tabuchi M, Yang Y, Fowler M, et al. WIDE AWAKE mediates the circadian timing of sleep onset. Neuron. 2014;82:151-66 pubmed publisher..We propose that WAKE acts as a clock output molecule specifically for sleep, inhibiting LNvs at dusk to promote the transition from wake to sleep. ..
- Nagarkar Jaiswal S, Lee P, Campbell M, Chen K, Anguiano Zarate S, Gutierrez M, et al. A library of MiMICs allows tagging of genes and reversible, spatial and temporal knockdown of proteins in Drosophila. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..This new strategy and collection of strains allows unprecedented in vivo manipulations in flies for many genes. These strategies will likely extend to vertebrates. ..
- Wes P, Chevesich J, Jeromin A, Rosenberg C, Stetten G, Montell C. TRPC1, a human homolog of a Drosophila store-operated channel. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:9652-6 pubmed..TRPC1 was expressed at the highest levels in the fetal brain and in the adult heart, brain, testis, and ovaries. Evidence is also presented that TRPC1 represents the archetype of a family of related human proteins. ..
- Ekker S, Jackson D, von Kessler D, Sun B, Young K, Beachy P. The degree of variation in DNA sequence recognition among four Drosophila homeotic proteins. EMBO J. 1994;13:3551-60 pubmed..This and other patterns of residue conservation suggest that differential DNA sequence recognition may play a role in HOM protein function in a wide range of organisms. ..
- Lee S, Montell C. Regulation of the rhodopsin protein phosphatase, RDGC, through interaction with calmodulin. Neuron. 2001;32:1097-106 pubmed
- Sun H, Tsunenari T, Yau K, Nathans J. The vitelliform macular dystrophy protein defines a new family of chloride channels. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:4008-13 pubmed..These experiments establish the existence of a new chloride channel family and VMD as a channelopathy. ..
- Geisbrecht E, Montell D. Myosin VI is required for E-cadherin-mediated border cell migration. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:616-20 pubmed..Multiple biochemical mechanisms may exist, therefore, for cadherins to associate with diverse unconventional myosins that are required for normal stereocilium formation or maintenance. ..
- Tulin A, Spradling A. Chromatin loosening by poly(ADP)-ribose polymerase (PARP) at Drosophila puff loci. Science. 2003;299:560-2 pubmed..Such local loosening may facilitate transcription and may transiently make protein complexes more accessible to modification, promoting chromatin remodeling during development. ..
- Lum L, Yao S, Mozer B, Rovescalli A, Von Kessler D, Nirenberg M, et al. Identification of Hedgehog pathway components by RNAi in Drosophila cultured cells. Science. 2003;299:2039-45 pubmed..This type of cultured cell-based functional genomics approach may be useful in the systematic analysis of other biological processes. ..
- Haberman A, Isaac D, Andrew D. Specification of cell fates within the salivary gland primordium. Dev Biol. 2003;258:443-53 pubmed..Thus, localized EGF- and Notch-signaling transform a uniform epithelial sheet into three distinct cell types. In addition, Ser directs formation of actin rings in the salivary duct. ..
- Jenkins A, McCaffery J, Van Doren M. Drosophila E-cadherin is essential for proper germ cell-soma interaction during gonad morphogenesis. Development. 2003;130:4417-26 pubmed..E-cadherin expression in the gonad is dramatically decreased in fear of intimacy mutants, indicating that Fear of Intimacy may be a regulator of E-cadherin expression or function. ..
- Wilhelm J, Smibert C. Mechanisms of translational regulation in Drosophila. Biol Cell. 2005;97:235-52 pubmed..Our review highlights the complexity that can be involved with multiple factors employing different mechanisms to control the translation of a single mRNA. ..
- Spehr M, Leinders Zufall T. One neuron--multiple receptors: increased complexity in olfactory coding?. Sci STKE. 2005;2005:pe25 pubmed..However, recent reports regarding Drosophila have found exceptions to the rule that could have important implications for the logic of olfactory coding. ..
- Vining M, Bradley P, Comeaux C, Andrew D. Organ positioning in Drosophila requires complex tissue-tissue interactions. Dev Biol. 2005;287:19-34 pubmed..These data further the understanding of how organ morphology and position are determined by three-dimensional constraints and guidance cues provided by neighboring tissues. ..
- Decotto E, Spradling A. The Drosophila ovarian and testis stem cell niches: similar somatic stem cells and signals. Dev Cell. 2005;9:501-10 pubmed..These observations reveal striking similarities in the stem cell niches of male and female gonads, and suggest that they are largely governed by common mechanisms. ..
- Capelson M, Corces V. The ubiquitin ligase dTopors directs the nuclear organization of a chromatin insulator. Mol Cell. 2005;20:105-16 pubmed..Thus, dTopors appears to be involved in the establishment of chromatin organization through its ability to mediate the association of insulator complexes with a fixed nuclear substrate. ..
- Kerman B, Cheshire A, Myat M, Andrew D. Ribbon modulates apical membrane during tube elongation through Crumbs and Moesin. Dev Biol. 2008;320:278-88 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that Ribbon and Lola Like function as a novel transcriptional cassette coordinating molecular changes at the apical membrane of epithelial cells to facilitate tube elongation. ..
- Wu Z, Sweeney L, Ayoob J, Chak K, Andreone B, Ohyama T, et al. A combinatorial semaphorin code instructs the initial steps of sensory circuit assembly in the Drosophila CNS. Neuron. 2011;70:281-98 pubmed publisher..These results reveal that distinct semaphorin-mediated guidance functions converge at PlexB and are critical for functional neural circuit assembly. ..
- Chen X, Lu C, Morillo Prado J, Eun S, Fuller M. Sequential changes at differentiation gene promoters as they become active in a stem cell lineage. Development. 2011;138:2441-50 pubmed publisher..Together, the action of the tMAC and tTAF cell type-specific chromatin and transcription machinery leads to loss of Polycomb and release of stalled Pol II from the terminal differentiation gene promoters, allowing robust transcription. ..
- Koontz L, Liu Chittenden Y, Yin F, Zheng Y, Yu J, Huang B, et al. The Hippo effector Yorkie controls normal tissue growth by antagonizing scalloped-mediated default repression. Dev Cell. 2013;25:388-401 pubmed publisher..These findings fill a major gap in Hippo-mediated transcriptional regulation and open up possibilities for modulating the YAP oncoprotein in cancer and regenerative medicine. ..
- Xu D, Shen W, Guo R, Xue Y, Peng W, Sima J, et al. Top3Î² is an RNA topoisomerase that works with fragile X syndrome protein to promote synapse formation. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:1238-47 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that Top3Î² acts as an RNA topoisomerase and works with FMRP to promote the expression of mRNAs that are crucial for neurodevelopment and mental health. ..
- Loganathan R, Lee J, Wells M, GREVENGOED E, Slattery M, Andrew D. Ribbon regulates morphogenesis of the Drosophila embryonic salivary gland through transcriptional activation and repression. Dev Biol. 2016;409:234-250 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our results suggest that autoregulation of rib expression may be a key component of the SG morphogenetic gene network. ..
- Neisch A, Avery A, Machamer J, Li M, Hays T. Methods to identify and analyze gene products involved in neuronal intracellular transport using Drosophila. Methods Cell Biol. 2016;131:277-309 pubmed publisher..Together, the methodologies described here will support labs interested in identifying and characterizing gene products that alter intracellular transport in Drosophila. ..
- Losick V, Jun A, Spradling A. Wound-Induced Polyploidization: Regulation by Hippo and JNK Signaling and Conservation in Mammals. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0151251 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that WIP is an evolutionarily conserved homeostatic mechanism that maintains the size and synthetic capacity of adult tissues. ..
- Ma Y, Erkner A, Gong R, Yao S, Taipale J, Basler K, et al. Hedgehog-mediated patterning of the mammalian embryo requires transporter-like function of dispatched. Cell. 2002;111:63-75 pubmed..This activity is disrupted by alteration of residues functionally conserved in Patched and in a related family of bacterial transmembrane transporters, thus suggesting similar mechanisms of action for all of these proteins. ..
- Wang T, Xu H, Oberwinkler J, Gu Y, Hardie R, Montell C. Light activation, adaptation, and cell survival functions of the Na+/Ca2+ exchanger CalX. Neuron. 2005;45:367-78 pubmed..These results illustrate the critical role of Ca(2+) for proper signaling and provide genetic evidence that Ca(2+) overload is responsible for a form of retinal degeneration resulting from defects in the TRP channel. ..
- Muratoglu S, Garratt B, Hyman K, Gajewski K, Schulz R, Fossett N. Regulation of Drosophila friend of GATA gene, u-shaped, during hematopoiesis: a direct role for serpent and lozenge. Dev Biol. 2006;296:561-79 pubmed..The results of these studies provide information to analyze further the regulation of this conserved gene family and its role during hematopoietic lineage commitment. ..
- Allen A, Spradling A. The Sf1-related nuclear hormone receptor Hr39 regulates Drosophila female reproductive tract development and function. Development. 2008;135:311-21 pubmed..Our findings suggest that Drosophila can be used to model more aspects of mammalian reproductive biology than previously believed. ..
- Eun S, Feng L, Cedeno Rosario L, Gan Q, Wei G, Cui K, et al. Polycomb Group Gene E(z) Is Required for Spermatogonial Dedifferentiation in Drosophila Adult Testis. J Mol Biol. 2017;429:2030-2041 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest that E(z) acts intrinsically in germ cells to activate dedifferentiation and thus replenish lost GSCs during both aging and tissue regeneration. ..
- Porter J, Young K, Beachy P. Cholesterol modification of hedgehog signaling proteins in animal development. Science. 1996;274:255-9 pubmed..This use of cholesterol to modify embryonic signaling proteins may account for some of the effects of perturbed cholesterol biosynthesis on animal development. ..
- Cai D, Chen S, Prasad M, He L, Wang X, Choesmel Cadamuro V, et al. Mechanical feedback through E-cadherin promotes direction sensing during collective cell migration. Cell. 2014;157:1146-59 pubmed publisher..Adhesion between motile cells and polar cells holds the cluster together and polarizes each individual cell. Thus, E-cadherin is an integral component of the guidance mechanisms that orchestrate collective chemotaxis in vivo. ..
- Wang S, Raab R, Schatz P, Guggino W, Li M. Peptide binding consensus of the NHE-RF-PDZ1 domain matches the C-terminal sequence of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR). FEBS Lett. 1998;427:103-8 pubmed..The specific and tight association suggests a potential regulatory role of NHE-RF in cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) function. ..
- Liu Y, Montell D. Jing: a downstream target of slbo required for developmental control of border cell migration. Development. 2001;128:321-30 pubmed..We propose that the need to coordinate cell differentiation with nutritional status may be the link between mammalian adipocytes and Drosophila border cells that led to the conservation of C/EBP and AEBP2. ..
- Nakakura E, Watkins D, Schuebel K, Sriuranpong V, Borges M, Nelkin B, et al. Mammalian Scratch: a neural-specific Snail family transcriptional repressor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:4010-5 pubmed..Thus, Scrt has the potential to function in newly differentiating, postmitotic neurons and in cancers with NE features by modulating the action of bHLH transcription factors critical for neuronal differentiation. ..
- McDonald J, Pinheiro E, Montell D. PVF1, a PDGF/VEGF homolog, is sufficient to guide border cells and interacts genetically with Taiman. Development. 2003;130:3469-78 pubmed..In addition, we find that taiman and Pvf1 regulate the dynamic localization of E-cadherin in the border cells, possibly accounting for the interaction between these two pathways. ..
- Gan Q, Chepelev I, Wei G, Tarayrah L, Cui K, Zhao K, et al. Dynamic regulation of alternative splicing and chromatin structure in Drosophila gonads revealed by RNA-seq. Cell Res. 2010;20:763-83 pubmed publisher..The GEO accession number for the raw and analyzed RNA-seq data is GSE16960. ..
- Tulina N, Matunis E. Control of stem cell self-renewal in Drosophila spermatogenesis by JAK-STAT signaling. Science. 2001;294:2546-9 pubmed..We conclude that the support cells of the hub signal to adjacent stem cells by activation of the JAK-STAT pathway, thereby defining a niche for stem cell self-renewal. ..
- Medvedev A, Lentschat A, Wahl L, Golenbock D, Vogel S. Dysregulation of LPS-induced Toll-like receptor 4-MyD88 complex formation and IL-1 receptor-associated kinase 1 activation in endotoxin-tolerant cells. J Immunol. 2002;169:5209-16 pubmed..Thus, decreased TLR4-MyD88 complex formation with subsequent impairment of IRAK-1 activity may underlie the LPS-tolerant phenotype. ..
- Bradley C, Barrick D. Limits of cooperativity in a structurally modular protein: response of the Notch ankyrin domain to analogous alanine substitutions in each repeat. J Mol Biol. 2002;324:373-86 pubmed..Such behavior is captured by a simple statistical thermodynamic model in which an unstable C-terminal region is coupled to a stable N-terminal region through a strongly stabilizing interface. ..
- Ducat D, Kawaguchi S, Liu H, Yates J, Zheng Y. Regulation of microtubule assembly and organization in mitosis by the AAA+ ATPase Pontin. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:3097-110 pubmed publisher..Because depletion of Pontin leads to defects in the assembly and organization of microtubule arrays in egg extracts, our studies suggest that Pontin has a mitosis-specific function in regulating microtubule assembly. ..
- Yang S, Baxter E, Van Doren M. Phf7 controls male sex determination in the Drosophila germline. Dev Cell. 2012;22:1041-51 pubmed publisher..We propose that PHF7 acts as a conserved epigenetic "reader" that activates the male germline sexual program. ..
- Bharadwaj R, Cunningham K, Zhang K, Lloyd T. FIG4 regulates lysosome membrane homeostasis independent of phosphatase function. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:681-92 pubmed publisher..These data show that FIG4 plays a critical noncatalytic function in maintaining lysosomal membrane homeostasis, and that this function is disrupted by mutations that cause CMT4J and YVS. ..
- Rattner A, Hsieh J, Smallwood P, Gilbert D, Copeland N, Jenkins N, et al. A family of secreted proteins contains homology to the cysteine-rich ligand-binding domain of frizzled receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:2859-63 pubmed..These observations suggest that sFRPs may function in vivo to modulate Wnt signaling, or, alternatively, as novel ligands for as yet unidentified receptors. ..
- Myat M, Andrew D. Epithelial tube morphology is determined by the polarized growth and delivery of apical membrane. Cell. 2002;111:879-91 pubmed..In invaginating salivary cells, crb and klar mediate growth and delivery of apical membrane, respectively, thus regulating the size and shape of the salivary tube. ..
- Montell C. Drosophila TRP channels. Pflugers Arch. 2005;451:19-28 pubmed..As a result, the repertoire of biological roles attributed to Drosophila TRPs has increased considerably and is likely to lead to many additional surprises over the next few years. ..
- Liu Q, Liu S, Kodama L, Driscoll M, Wu M. Two dopaminergic neurons signal to the dorsal fan-shaped body to promote wakefulness in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2012;22:2114-23 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these findings suggest that inhibition of sleep centers via monoaminergic signaling is an evolutionarily conserved mechanism to promote arousal. ..
- Tarayrah L, Herz H, Shilatifard A, Chen X. Histone demethylase dUTX antagonizes JAK-STAT signaling to maintain proper gene expression and architecture of the Drosophila testis niche. Development. 2013;140:1014-23 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our findings provide new insights into how an epigenetic factor regulates crosstalk among different cell types within an endogenous stem cell niche, and shed light on the biological functions of a histone demethylase in vivo. ..
- Abrams E, Mihoulides W, Andrew D. Fork head and Sage maintain a uniform and patent salivary gland lumen through regulation of two downstream target genes, PH4alphaSG1 and PH4alphaSG2. Development. 2006;133:3517-27 pubmed..The regulation studies and phenotypic characterization of PH4alphaSG1 and PH4alphaSG2 link Fkh, which initiates tube formation, to the maintenance of an open and uniformly sized secretory tube. ..