Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cell polarity in Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Locale: Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Topic: cell polarity
- Gao B, Song H, Bishop K, Elliot G, Garrett L, English M, et al. Wnt signaling gradients establish planar cell polarity by inducing Vangl2 phosphorylation through Ror2. Dev Cell. 2011;20:163-76 pubmed publisher..Our studies have provided new insight to Robinow syndrome, Brachydactyly Type B1, and spinal bifida which are caused by mutations in human ROR2, WNT5A, or VANGL. ..
- Bosselut R, Feigenbaum L, Sharrow S, Singer A. Strength of signaling by CD4 and CD8 coreceptor tails determines the number but not the lineage direction of positively selected thymocytes. Immunity. 2001;14:483-94 pubmed
- Wiener S, Hoyt R, Deleonardis J, Clevenger R, Jeffries K, Nagashima K, et al. Manometric changes during retrograde biliary infusion in mice. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2000;279:G49-66 pubmed..Control of intraluminal pressure may potentially permit the selective delivery of macromolecules >18-20 A in diameter to specific histological compartments...
- Fu D, Wakabayashi Y, Lippincott Schwartz J, Arias I. Bile acid stimulates hepatocyte polarization through a cAMP-Epac-MEK-LKB1-AMPK pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:1403-8 pubmed publisher..Linkage between bile acid synthesis, hepatocyte polarization, and regulation of energy metabolism is likely important in normal hepatocyte development and disease. ..
- Baker S, Soto A, Sonnenschein C, Cappuccio A, Potter J, Kramer B. Plausibility of stromal initiation of epithelial cancers without a mutation in the epithelium: a computer simulation of morphostats. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:89 pubmed publisher..Because the model is biologically plausible, we hope that these results will stimulate further experiments. ..
- Aerbajinai W, Liu L, Chin K, Zhu J, Parent C, Rodgers G. Glia maturation factor-? mediates neutrophil chemotaxis. J Leukoc Biol. 2011;90:529-38 pubmed publisher..In addition, we found that GMFG is associated with WAVE2. Taken together, our findings suggest that GMFG is a novel factor in regulating neutrophil chemotaxis by modulating actin cytoskeleton reorganization...
- Chua J, Rikhy R, Lippincott Schwartz J. Dynamin 2 orchestrates the global actomyosin cytoskeleton for epithelial maintenance and apical constriction. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:20770-5 pubmed publisher..We propose this enables Dyn2 to coordinate, in a GTPase-dependent manner, membrane recycling and actomyosin contractility during epithelial morphogenesis...
- FarÃas G, Cuitino L, Guo X, Ren X, Jarnik M, Mattera R, et al. Signal-mediated, AP-1/clathrin-dependent sorting of transmembrane receptors to the somatodendritic domain of hippocampal neurons. Neuron. 2012;75:810-23 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the primary recognition event that underlies somatodendritic sorting and contribute to the evolving view of AP-1 as a global regulator of cell polarity. ..
- Guo X, Mattera R, Ren X, Chen Y, Retamal C, GonzÃ¡lez A, et al. The adaptor protein-1 Î¼1B subunit expands the repertoire of basolateral sorting signal recognition in epithelial cells. Dev Cell. 2013;27:353-66 pubmed publisher..We conclude that expression of distinct Î¼1 isoforms in epithelial cells expands the repertoire of signals recognized by AP-1 for sorting of a broader range of cargoes to the basolateral surface. ..
- Noben Trauth N, Hu Li J, Paul W. Conventional, naive CD4+ T cells provide an initial source of IL-4 during Th2 differentiation. J Immunol. 2000;165:3620-5 pubmed..These data show that conventional, naive CD4+ T cells may be considered as initial sources of IL-4 and, in the absence of IFN-gamma and IL-12, this IL-4 can induce Th2 polarization. ..
- Belkina N, Liu Y, Hao J, Karasuyama H, Shaw S. LOK is a major ERM kinase in resting lymphocytes and regulates cytoskeletal rearrangement through ERM phosphorylation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:4707-12 pubmed publisher..Thus, these studies identify a new ERM kinase of importance in lymphocytes and confirm the role of ERM phosphorylation in regulating cell shape and motility. ..
- Koh E, Clair T, Hermansen R, Bandle R, Schiffmann E, Roberts D, et al. Sphingosine-1-phosphate initiates rapid retraction of pseudopodia by localized RhoA activation. Cell Signal. 2007;19:1328-38 pubmed..These data indicate that pseudopodia sense and integrate signals initiated by localized bioactive lipids, affecting both cellular polarity and their own function in motility. ..
- Colino J, Snapper C. Exosomes from bone marrow dendritic cells pulsed with diphtheria toxoid preferentially induce type 1 antigen-specific IgG responses in naive recipients in the absence of free antigen. J Immunol. 2006;177:3757-62 pubmed..These results are the first to demonstrate the ability of exosomes derived from Ag-pulsed DC to induce and modulate Ag-specific humoral immunity in vivo. ..
- Yi J, Wu X, Chung A, Chen J, Kapoor T, Hammer J. Centrosome repositioning in T cells is biphasic and driven by microtubule end-on capture-shrinkage. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:779-92 pubmed publisher..We conclude that dynein drives centrosome repositioning in T cells via microtubule end-on capture-shrinkage operating at the center of the IS and not cortical sliding at the IS periphery, as previously thought. ..
- Brown M, Hallam J, Liu Y, Yamada K, Shaw S. Cutting edge: integration of human T lymphocyte cytoskeleton by the cytolinker plectin. J Immunol. 2001;167:641-5 pubmed..Plectin is therefore likely to serve as an important organizer of the lymphocyte cytoskeleton and may regulate changes of lymphocyte cytoarchitecture during polarization and extravasation. ..
- Gao B, Yang Y. Planar cell polarity in vertebrate limb morphogenesis. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2013;23:438-44 pubmed publisher..Directional information coded in the morphogen gradient may be interpreted by responding cells through regulating the activities of PCP components in a Wnt morphogen dose-dependent manner. ..
- Nasonkin I, Merbs S, Lazo K, Oliver V, Brooks M, Patel K, et al. Conditional knockdown of DNA methyltransferase 1 reveals a key role of retinal pigment epithelium integrity in photoreceptor outer segment morphogenesis. Development. 2013;140:1330-41 pubmed publisher..We also establish a model to study the epigenetic mechanisms and signaling pathways that guide the modulation of photoreceptor outer segment morphogenesis by RPE during retinal development and disease. ..
- Praetorius H, Spring K. Bending the MDCK cell primary cilium increases intracellular calcium. J Membr Biol. 2001;184:71-9 pubmed..We conclude that the primary cilium in MDCK cells is mechanically sensitive and responds to flow by greatly increasing intracellular calcium...
- Tanegashima K, Zhao H, Dawid I. WGEF activates Rho in the Wnt-PCP pathway and controls convergent extension in Xenopus gastrulation. EMBO J. 2008;27:606-17 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that WGEF is a component of the Wnt-PCP pathway that connects Dishevelled to Rho activation. ..
- Fu D, Mitra K, Sengupta P, Jarnik M, Lippincott Schwartz J, Arias I. Coordinated elevation of mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation and autophagy help drive hepatocyte polarization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:7288-93 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results describe a metabolic shift involving a number of coordinated metabolic pathways that ultimately serve to increase energy production during cell polarization. ..
- Brown M, Nijhara R, Hallam J, Gignac M, Yamada K, Erlandsen S, et al. Chemokine stimulation of human peripheral blood T lymphocytes induces rapid dephosphorylation of ERM proteins, which facilitates loss of microvilli and polarization. Blood. 2003;102:3890-9 pubmed..Thus, chemokine induces rapid dephosphorylation and inactivation of cpERM, which may in turn facilitate 2 aspects of cytoskeletal reorganization involved in lymphocyte recruitment: loss of microvilli and polarization. ..
- Polishchuk R, Di Pentima A, Lippincott Schwartz J. Delivery of raft-associated, GPI-anchored proteins to the apical surface of polarized MDCK cells by a transcytotic pathway. Nat Cell Biol. 2004;6:297-307 pubmed..Thus, apical sorting of these GPI-anchored proteins occurs at the plasma membrane, rather than at the TGN...
- Fukumoto S, Kiba T, Hall B, Iehara N, Nakamura T, Longenecker G, et al. Ameloblastin is a cell adhesion molecule required for maintaining the differentiation state of ameloblasts. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:973-83 pubmed..Thus, ameloblastin is a cell adhesion molecule essential for amelogenesis, and it plays a role in maintaining the differentiation state of secretory stage ameloblasts by binding to ameloblasts and inhibiting proliferation...
- Wakabayashi Y, Dutt P, Lippincott Schwartz J, Arias I. Rab11a and myosin Vb are required for bile canalicular formation in WIF-B9 cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:15087-92 pubmed..In this model, polarization is initiated upon delivery of rab11a-myosin Vb-containing membranes to the surface, which causes plasma membrane at the site of delivery to differentiate into apical domain (bile canaliculus)...
- Valencia J, Watabe H, Chi A, Rouzaud F, Chen K, Vieira W, et al. Sorting of Pmel17 to melanosomes through the plasma membrane by AP1 and AP2: evidence for the polarized nature of melanocytes. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:1080-91 pubmed..These results show that Pmel17 is sorted to melanosomes by various intracellular routes, directly or indirectly through the plasma membrane, and the presence of basolateral elements in melanocytes suggests their polarized nature. ..
- Afonso P, McCann C, Kapnick S, Parent C. Discoidin domain receptor 2 regulates neutrophil chemotaxis in 3D collagen matrices. Blood. 2013;121:1644-50 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight the importance of collagen-derived extracellular signaling during neutrophil chemotaxis in 3D matrices. ..
- Rhee D, Zhao X, Francis R, Huang G, Mably J, Lo C. Connexin 43 regulates epicardial cell polarity and migration in coronary vascular development. Development. 2009;136:3185-93 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings suggest cardiac defects in the Cx43 KO mice arise from the disruption of cell polarity, a process that may be dependent on Cx43-tubulin interactions. ..
- Bonifacino J. Adaptor proteins involved in polarized sorting. J Cell Biol. 2014;204:7-17 pubmed publisher..The clathrin-associated adaptor protein 1 (AP-1) complex plays a preeminent role in this process, although other adaptors and coat proteins, such as AP-4, ARH, Numb, exomer, and retromer, have also been implicated. ..