Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on caenorhabditis elegans proteins in Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Locale: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Topic: caenorhabditis elegans proteins
- Shilagardi K, Li S, Luo F, Marikar F, Duan R, Jin P, et al. Actin-propelled invasive membrane protrusions promote fusogenic protein engagement during cell-cell fusion. Science. 2013;340:359-63 pubmed publisher..This de novo cell fusion culture system reveals a general role for actin-propelled invasive membrane protrusions in driving fusogenic protein engagement during cell-cell fusion. ..
- Gleason J, Szyleyko E, Eisenmann D. Multiple redundant Wnt signaling components function in two processes during C. elegans vulval development. Dev Biol. 2006;298:442-57 pubmed..p lineage. Here, too, we found that four of five Wnt receptors can influence P7.p orientation, suggesting that a surprising amount of functional redundancy exists in Wnt signaling during C. elegans vulval induction...
- Ahmed H, Bianchet M, Amzel L, Hirabayashi J, Kasai K, Giga Hama Y, et al. Novel carbohydrate specificity of the 16-kDa galectin from Caenorhabditis elegans: binding to blood group precursor oligosaccharides (type 1, type 2, Talpha, and Tbeta) and gangliosides. Glycobiology. 2002;12:451-61 pubmed
- Cheng K, Klancer R, Singson A, Seydoux G. Regulation of MBK-2/DYRK by CDK-1 and the pseudophosphatases EGG-4 and EGG-5 during the oocyte-to-embryo transition. Cell. 2009;139:560-72 pubmed publisher..Our findings link cell-cycle progression to MBK-2/DYRK activation and the oocyte-to-embryo transition. ..
- Weiser N, Yang D, Feng S, Kalinava N, Brown K, Khanikar J, et al. MORC-1 Integrates Nuclear RNAi and Transgenerational Chromatin Architecture to Promote Germline Immortality. Dev Cell. 2017;41:408-423.e7 pubmed publisher..Without MORC-1 and nuclear RNAi, MET-1-mediated encroachment of euchromatin leads to detrimental decondensation of germline chromatin and germline mortality. ..
- Daniels B, Dobrowsky T, Perkins E, Sun S, Wirtz D. MEX-5 enrichment in the C. elegans early embryo mediated by differential diffusion. Development. 2010;137:2579-85 pubmed publisher..This work extends the scope of reaction/diffusion models to include not only germline morphogens, but also somatic determinants. ..
- Tarr D, Scott A. MSP domain proteins show enhanced expression in male germ line cells. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2004;137:87-98 pubmed..The 23 members of the MDP family of proteins from C. elegans were predicted to be transcribed in the testis. The findings provide additional candidates to the growing list of molecules that regulate MSP cytoskeletal dynamics. ..
- McMiller T, Johnson C. Molecular characterization of HLH-17, a C. elegans bHLH protein required for normal larval development. Gene. 2005;356:1-10 pubmed..We propose that hlh-17 affects the ability of C. elegans to respond to food cues, with possible downstream effects on insulin-signaling genes involved in the normal development and reproductive viability of the worm. ..
- Voronina E, Paix A, Seydoux G. The P granule component PGL-1 promotes the localization and silencing activity of the PUF protein FBF-2 in germline stem cells. Development. 2012;139:3732-40 pubmed..Our findings also support the view that P granules facilitate mRNA silencing by providing an environment in which translational repressors can encounter their mRNA targets immediately upon exit from the nucleus. ..
- Muriel J, Dong C, Vogel B. Distinct regions within fibulin-1D modulate interactions with hemicentin. Exp Cell Res. 2012;318:2543-7 pubmed publisher..Together, the data suggests that EGF repeats 4 and 5 promote interaction with hemicentin while a region within EGF2D suppresses ectopic interactions with hemicentin and this suppression may be protease dependent. ..
- Iser W, Kim D, Bachman E, Wolkow C. Examination of the requirement for ucp-4, a putative homolog of mammalian uncoupling proteins, for stress tolerance and longevity in C. elegans. Mech Ageing Dev. 2005;126:1090-6 pubmed..Together, these results demonstrate that ucp-4 is a negative regulator of ATP production in C. elegans, but is not required for normal lifespan. ..
- Seydoux G, Strome S. Launching the germline in Caenorhabditis elegans: regulation of gene expression in early germ cells. Development. 1999;126:3275-83 pubmed..In particular, mechanisms that repress the production of mRNAs appear to be essential to maintain germ cell fate and viability...
- Chen L, Krause M, Sepanski M, Fire A. The Caenorhabditis elegans MYOD homologue HLH-1 is essential for proper muscle function and complete morphogenesis. Development. 1994;120:1631-41 pubmed..Mosaic studies using the point mutation and an extrachromosomal transgene indicate that the requirement for hlh-1 is fully zygotic, with no maternal hlh-1 requirement for either muscle development or viability. ..
- Gallo C, Seydoux G. Toti "potent" repressors. Bioessays. 2006;28:865-7 pubmed..The unexpected discovery of a teratoma in a C. elegans double mutant points to translational control as a key mechanism to maintain totipotency in developing germ cells...
- Wagmaister J, Miley G, Morris C, Gleason J, Miller L, Kornfeld K, et al. Identification of cis-regulatory elements from the C. elegans Hox gene lin-39 required for embryonic expression and for regulation by the transcription factors LIN-1, LIN-31 and LIN-39. Dev Biol. 2006;297:550-65 pubmed..p. Therefore, we have begun to unravel the cis-acting sites regulating lin-39 Hox gene expression and have shown that lin-39 is a direct target of the Ras pathway acting via LIN-1 and LIN-31. ..
- Bernick E, Zhang P, Du S. Knockdown and overexpression of Unc-45b result in defective myofibril organization in skeletal muscles of zebrafish embryos. BMC Cell Biol. 2010;11:70 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these studies indicate that the expression levels of Unc-45b must be precisely regulated to ensure normal myofibril organization. Loss or overexpression of Unc-45b leads to defective myofibril organization. ..
- Wagmaister J, Gleason J, Eisenmann D. Transcriptional upregulation of the C. elegans Hox gene lin-39 during vulval cell fate specification. Mech Dev. 2006;123:135-50 pubmed..Finally, we found that when the Wnt pathway is over activated, expression from the transcriptional lin-39::GFP increases, suggesting that the Wnt pathway also regulates lin-39 at the transcriptional level. ..
- Vogel B, Hedgecock E. Hemicentin, a conserved extracellular member of the immunoglobulin superfamily, organizes epithelial and other cell attachments into oriented line-shaped junctions. Development. 2001;128:883-94 pubmed..Hemicentin tracks facilitate mechanosensory neuron anchorage to the epidermis, gliding of the developing gonad along epithelial basement membranes and germline cellularization. ..
- Pellettieri J, Seydoux G. Anterior-posterior polarity in C. elegans and Drosophila--PARallels and differences. Science. 2002;298:1946-50 pubmed..Although clear mechanistic parallels remain to be established, par-dependent regulation of microtubule dynamics and protein stability emerge as common themes. ..
- Marson A, Tarr D, Scott A. Macrophage migration inhibitory factor (mif) transcription is significantly elevated in Caenorhabditis elegans dauer larvae. Gene. 2001;278:53-62 pubmed..The results suggest a role for C. elegans MIF in cellular maintenance during periods of adverse conditions that lead to developmental arrest. ..
- Harfe B, Fire A. Muscle and nerve-specific regulation of a novel NK-2 class homeodomain factor in Caenorhabditis elegans. Development. 1998;125:421-9 pubmed..briggsae contains a close homologue of C. elegans ceh-24 including a highly conserved and functionally equivalent set of cis-acting control signals. ..
- Fyrberg C, Becker J, Barthmaier P, Mahaffey J, Fyrberg E. A Drosophila muscle-specific gene related to the mouse quaking locus. Gene. 1997;197:315-23 pubmed..Finally, we have used the gene, which we have named quaking-related 93F (qkr93F), to identify a family of closely related KH domains. ..
- Seydoux G, Dunn M. Transcriptionally repressed germ cells lack a subpopulation of phosphorylated RNA polymerase II in early embryos of Caenorhabditis elegans and Drosophila melanogaster. Development. 1997;124:2191-201 pubmed..In addition, these studies also suggest that different phosphorylated isoforms of RNA polymerase II perform distinct functions. ..
- Thompson K, Joshi P, Dymond J, Gorrepati L, Smith H, Krause M, et al. The Paired-box protein PAX-3 regulates the choice between lateral and ventral epidermal cell fates in C. elegans. Dev Biol. 2016;412:191-207 pubmed publisher..pax-3 represents the first gene required for specification solely of the ventral hypodermal fate in C. elegans providing insights into cell type diversification. ..
- Harfe B, Vaz Gomes A, Kenyon C, Liu J, Krause M, Fire A. Analysis of a Caenorhabditis elegans Twist homolog identifies conserved and divergent aspects of mesodermal patterning. Genes Dev. 1998;12:2623-35 pubmed..These results suggest the possibility that a conserved pathway may be used for diverse functions in mesodermal specification. ..
- Ladouceur A, Ranjan R, Smith L, Fadero T, Heppert J, Goldstein B, et al. CENP-A and topoisomerase-II antagonistically affect chromosome length. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:2645-2655 pubmed publisher..We propose that self-assembly of centromeric chromatin into an extended linear array promotes elongation of the chromosome, whereas topo-II promotes chromosome-length shortening. ..
- Sun H, Tsunenari T, Yau K, Nathans J. The vitelliform macular dystrophy protein defines a new family of chloride channels. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:4008-13 pubmed..These experiments establish the existence of a new chloride channel family and VMD as a channelopathy. ..
- Prasad B, Karakuzu O, Reed R, Cameron S. unc-3-dependent repression of specific motor neuron fates in Caenorhabditis elegans. Dev Biol. 2008;323:207-15 pubmed publisher..Our data explain the locomotory defects of unc-3 mutants and suggest that interactions between unc-3 and pag-3 orthologs in other species may be functionally important. ..
- Tan F, Fire A, Hill R. Regulation of apoptosis by C. elegans CED-9 in the absence of the C-terminal transmembrane domain. Cell Death Differ. 2007;14:1925-35 pubmed
- Kostas S, Fire A. The T-box factor MLS-1 acts as a molecular switch during specification of nonstriated muscle in C. elegans. Genes Dev. 2002;16:257-69 pubmed..mls-1 activity also appears to be regulated by posttranscriptional processes, as expression occurs in both uterine and vulval muscle precursors. ..
- Stricker N, Huganir R. The PDZ domains of mLin-10 regulate its trans-Golgi network targeting and the surface expression of AMPA receptors. Neuropharmacology. 2003;45:837-48 pubmed..A PDZ point mutation enhances surface delivery of exogenous glutamate receptors in transfected neurons, suggesting that mLin-10 may regulate AMPA receptor trafficking in vivo. ..
- Hamaoka B, Dann C, Geisbrecht B, Leahy D. Crystal structure of Caenorhabditis elegans HER-1 and characterization of the interaction between HER-1 and TRA-2A. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:11673-8 pubmed
- Gami M, Wolkow C. Studies of Caenorhabditis elegans DAF-2/insulin signaling reveal targets for pharmacological manipulation of lifespan. Aging Cell. 2006;5:31-7 pubmed..These insights into pathways affecting invertebrate lifespan may provide a basis for developing strategies for pharmacological manipulation of human lifespan. ..
- Gallo C, Wang J, Motegi F, Seydoux G. Cytoplasmic partitioning of P granule components is not required to specify the germline in C. elegans. Science. 2010;330:1685-9 pubmed publisher..pptr-1 mutants are fertile, except at high temperatures. Hence, asymmetric partitioning of maternal P granules is not essential to specify germ cell fate. Instead, it may serve to protect the nascent germline from stress. ..
- Pellettieri J, Reinke V, Kim S, Seydoux G. Coordinate activation of maternal protein degradation during the egg-to-embryo transition in C. elegans. Dev Cell. 2003;5:451-62 pubmed..We propose that MBK-2 functions as a temporal regulator of protein stability, and that coordinate activation of maternal protein degradation is one of the mechanisms that drives the transition from symmetric egg to patterned embryo. ..
- Yanowitz J, Fire A. Cyclin D involvement demarcates a late transition in C. elegans embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2005;279:244-51 pubmed..The results suggest that certain mesodermal lineages may be uniquely affected by changes in cyd-1 activity. ..
- Muriel J, Dong C, Hutter H, Vogel B. Fibulin-1C and Fibulin-1D splice variants have distinct functions and assemble in a hemicentin-dependent manner. Development. 2005;132:4223-34 pubmed..We suggest that the distinct developmental roles and hemicentin-dependent assembly for fibulin-1 splice variants demonstrated here may be relevant to fibulin-1 and possibly other fibulin family members in non-nematode species. ..
- McMiller T, Sims D, Lee T, Williams T, Johnson C. Molecular characterization of the Caenorhabditis elegans REF-1 family member, hlh-29/hlh-28. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1769:5-19 pubmed..Loss of hlh-29/hlh-28 function via RNA interference (RNAi) results in multiple phenotypes including late embryonic lethality, yolk protein accumulation, everted vulva, bordering behavior, and alter chemosensory responses. ..
- Zonies S, Motegi F, Hao Y, Seydoux G. Symmetry breaking and polarization of the C. elegans zygote by the polarity protein PAR-2. Development. 2010;137:1669-77 pubmed publisher..We propose that polarity in the C. elegans zygote is initiated by redundant ECT-2- and PAR-2-dependent mechanisms that lower PAR-3 levels locally, triggering a positive-feedback loop that polarizes the entire cortex. ..
- Voronina E, Seydoux G. The C. elegans homolog of nucleoporin Nup98 is required for the integrity and function of germline P granules. Development. 2010;137:1441-50 pubmed publisher..In the mouse, Nup98 immunoprecipitates with the germ granule component MVH. Our findings suggest that, in germ cells, the function of Nup98 extends beyond transport at the nuclear pore to include mRNA regulation in the cytoplasm. ..
- D AGOSTINO I, Merritt C, Chen P, Seydoux G, Subramaniam K. Translational repression restricts expression of the C. elegans Nanos homolog NOS-2 to the embryonic germline. Dev Biol. 2006;292:244-52 pubmed
- Tan F, Husain M, Manlandro C, Koppenol M, Fire A, Hill R. CED-9 and mitochondrial homeostasis in C. elegans muscle. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:3373-82 pubmed publisher..Thus, CED-9 is capable of regulating the mitochondrial fission-fusion cycle but is not essential for either fission or fusion. ..
- Gami M, Iser W, Hanselman K, Wolkow C. Activated AKT/PKB signaling in C. elegans uncouples temporally distinct outputs of DAF-2/insulin-like signaling. BMC Dev Biol. 2006;6:45 pubmed..Phenotypic analysis of these alleles shows that the larval and adult outputs of AGE-1/PI3K are fully separable in these mutants. ..
- Liu J, Fire A. Overlapping roles of two Hox genes and the exd ortholog ceh-20 in diversification of the C. elegans postembryonic mesoderm. Development. 2000;127:5179-90 pubmed..We present evidence from mutant phenotypes that twist is not the only target for Hox genes in the M lineage: in particular we show that lin-39 mab-5 double mutants exhibit a more severe M lineage defect than the hlh-8 null mutant. ..
- Depina A, Iser W, Park S, Maudsley S, Wilson M, Wolkow C. Regulation of Caenorhabditis elegans vitellogenesis by DAF-2/IIS through separable transcriptional and posttranscriptional mechanisms. BMC Physiol. 2011;11:11 pubmed publisher..This study reveals that pleiotropic effects of IIS pathway mutations can converge on a common downstream target, vitellogenesis, as a mechanism to modulate longevity. ..
- Griffin E, Odde D, Seydoux G. Regulation of the MEX-5 gradient by a spatially segregated kinase/phosphatase cycle. Cell. 2011;146:955-68 pubmed publisher..The principles demonstrated here apply to any spatially segregated modification cycle that affects protein diffusion and do not require protein synthesis or degradation...
- Yanowitz J, Shakir M, Hedgecock E, Hutter H, Fire A, Lundquist E. UNC-39, the C. elegans homolog of the human myotonic dystrophy-associated homeodomain protein Six5, regulates cell motility and differentiation. Dev Biol. 2004;272:389-402 pubmed..We show that human Six5 and UNC-39 are functional homologs, suggesting that further characterization of the C. elegans unc-39 gene might provide insight into the etiology of DM1. ..
- Rasoloson D, Shi L, Chong C, Kafsack B, Sullivan D. Copper pathways in Plasmodium falciparum infected erythrocytes indicate an efflux role for the copper P-ATPase. Biochem J. 2004;381:803-11 pubmed..Both the decrease in total copper and the location of the PfCuP-ATPase gene indicate a copper-efflux pathway from the infected erythrocyte. ..
- Merritt C, Seydoux G. The Puf RNA-binding proteins FBF-1 and FBF-2 inhibit the expression of synaptonemal complex proteins in germline stem cells. Development. 2010;137:1787-98 pubmed publisher..We propose that parallel regulation by FBF ensures that in wild-type gonads, meiotic entry is coordinated with just-in-time synthesis of synaptonemal proteins...
- Hao Y, Boyd L, Seydoux G. Stabilization of cell polarity by the C. elegans RING protein PAR-2. Dev Cell. 2006;10:199-208 pubmed..Our findings suggest that reciprocal inhibitory interactions among PAR proteins stabilize polarity by reinforcing an initial asymmetry in PKC-3. ..
- Liu J. Endogenous protein inhibitors of calcineurin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;311:1103-9 pubmed..These endogenous calcineurin inhibitors are throwing new light on the function and regulation of calcineurin in a wide variety of cellular processes and cell types. ..
- Xu X, Dong C, Vogel B. Hemicentins assemble on diverse epithelia in the mouse. J Histochem Cytochem. 2007;55:119-26 pubmed
- Prasad B, Ye B, Zackhary R, Schrader K, Seydoux G, Reed R. unc-3, a gene required for axonal guidance in Caenorhabditis elegans, encodes a member of the O/E family of transcription factors. Development. 1998;125:1561-8 pubmed