Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Locale: Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Publications1549 found, 100 shown here
- Brinster C, Shevach E. Bone marrow-derived dendritic cells reverse the anergic state of CD4+CD25+ T cells without reversing their suppressive function. J Immunol. 2005;175:7332-40 pubmed..Collectively, these results suggest that Ag presentation by DC can induce the expansion of CD4+CD25+ T cells while simultaneously activating their ability to suppress cytokine secretion by effector T cells. ..
- Jahrling P, Fritz E, Hensley L. Countermeasures to the bioterrorist threat of smallpox. Curr Mol Med. 2005;5:817-26 pubmed
- Hozumi K, Suzuki N, Nielsen P, Nomizu M, Yamada Y. Laminin alpha1 chain LG4 module promotes cell attachment through syndecans and cell spreading through integrin alpha2beta1. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:32929-40 pubmed..Our findings indicate that LG4 has a unique function distinct from laminin-1 and suggest that laminin alpha1 LG4-5 may also be produced by a proteolytic cleavage in certain tissues where it exerts its activity. ..
- Baibakov B, Gauthier L, Talbot P, Rankin T, Dean J. Sperm binding to the zona pellucida is not sufficient to induce acrosome exocytosis. Development. 2007;134:933-43 pubmed..A filter penetration assay suggests an alternative mechanism in which penetration into the zona matrix initiates a mechanosensory signal transduction necessary to trigger the acrosome reaction. ..
- Louis J, Ishima R, Torchia D, Weber I. HIV-1 protease: structure, dynamics, and inhibition. Adv Pharmacol. 2007;55:261-98 pubmed
- Raghunandan R, Ruiz Hidalgo M, Jia Y, Ettinger R, Rudikoff E, Riggins P, et al. Dlk1 influences differentiation and function of B lymphocytes. Stem Cells Dev. 2008;17:495-507 pubmed publisher..These results show that dlk expression is essential for normal B cell development. ..
- Brown J, Dutta S, Bharti K, Bonner R, Munson P, Dawid I, et al. Expression profiling during ocular development identifies 2 Nlz genes with a critical role in optic fissure closure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:1462-7 pubmed publisher..We also identify misregulation of pax2 in the developing eye of morphant fish, suggesting that Nlz1 and Nlz2 act upstream of the Pax2 pathway in directing proper closure of the optic fissure. ..
- Macbeth A, Lee H, Edds J, Young W. Oxytocin and the oxytocin receptor underlie intrastrain, but not interstrain, social recognition. Genes Brain Behav. 2009;8:558-67 pubmed publisher..We also present the novel finding of decreased investigation across tests, which is likely an artifact of repeated testing and not because of stimulus female's strain or age of subject males. ..
- Sharma P, Mongan P. Hypertonic sodium pyruvate solution is more effective than Ringer's ethyl pyruvate in the treatment of hemorrhagic shock. Shock. 2010;33:532-40 pubmed publisher..Resuscitation with small-volume HSP offers significant protection against inflammatory and oxidative stress and in preventing liver injury compared with large-volume Ringer's ethyl pyruvate. ..
- Bellani M, Boateng K, McLeod D, Camerini Otero R. The expression profile of the major mouse SPO11 isoforms indicates that SPO11beta introduces double strand breaks and suggests that SPO11alpha has an additional role in prophase in both spermatocytes and oocytes. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:4391-403 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our data support a role for SPO11alpha in mid- to late prophase, presumably acting as a topoisomerase, that would be conserved in male and female meiocytes. ..
- Lionakis M, Kontoyiannis D. The growing promise of Toll-deficient Drosophila melanogaster as a model for studying Aspergillus pathogenesis and treatment. Virulence. 2010;1:488-99 pubmed
- Lu C, Cheng S. Extranuclear signaling of mutated thyroid hormone receptors in promoting metastatic spread in thyroid carcinogenesis. Steroids. 2011;76:885-91 pubmed publisher..These findings have led to identification of potential molecular targets for treatment of metastatic thyroid cancer. ..
- Raciti G, Bera T, Gavrilova O, Pastan I. Partial inactivation of Ankrd26 causes diabetes with enhanced insulin responsiveness of adipose tissue in mice. Diabetologia. 2011;54:2911-22 pubmed publisher..One is to control the response of white adipose tissue to insulin; the other is to control appetite, which when Ankrd26 is mutated, leads to hyperphagia and diabetes in an obesity-dependent manner. ..
- Leiding J, Holland S. Warts and all: human papillomavirus in primary immunodeficiencies. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012;130:1030-48 pubmed publisher..We review immunodeficiencies with severe HPV infections and the mechanisms underlying them. ..
- Kim H, Hikosaka O. Distinct basal ganglia circuits controlling behaviors guided by flexible and stable values. Neuron. 2013;79:1001-10 pubmed publisher..This parallel complementary mechanism enables animals to choose valuable objects in both flexible and stable conditions. ..
- Wei Z, Angerer L, Angerer R. Neurogenic gene regulatory pathways in the sea urchin embryo. Development. 2016;143:298-305 pubmed publisher..These results provide a framework for building a gene regulatory network for neurogenesis in the sea urchin embryo. ..
- Umar A, Steele V, Menter D, Hawk E. Mechanisms of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in cancer prevention. Semin Oncol. 2016;43:65-77 pubmed publisher..As our knowledge base and technology progress we are learning that additional targets may be involved. This review attempts to summarize these new developments in the field. ..
- Erman B, Feigenbaum L, Coligan J, Singer A. Early TCRalpha expression generates TCRalphagamma complexes that signal the DN-to-DP transition and impair development. Nat Immunol. 2002;3:564-9 pubmed
- Park S, Kim J, Tessarollo L, Owens J, Peng L, Han S, et al. Insertion of c-Myc into Igh induces B-cell and plasma-cell neoplasms in mice. Cancer Res. 2005;65:1306-15 pubmed
- Lizunov V, Matsumoto H, Zimmerberg J, Cushman S, Frolov V. Insulin stimulates the halting, tethering, and fusion of mobile GLUT4 vesicles in rat adipose cells. J Cell Biol. 2005;169:481-9 pubmed..It is likely that the primary mechanism of insulin action in GLUT4 translocation is to stimulate tethering and fusion of trafficking vesicles to specific fusion sites in the PM. ..
- Gao Z, Ding Y, Jacobson K. UDP-glucose acting at P2Y14 receptors is a mediator of mast cell degranulation. Biochem Pharmacol. 2010;79:873-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, mast cells express an endogenous P2Y(14) receptor, which mediates G(i)-dependent degranulation and is therefore a potential novel therapeutic target for allergic conditions. ..
- Kengyel A, Wolf W, Chisholm R, Sellers J. Nonmuscle myosin IIA with a GFP fused to the N-terminus of the regulatory light chain is regulated normally. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 2010;31:163-70 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that despite some kinetic differences the N-terminal GFP fusion to the regulatory light chain is a reasonable model system for studying myosin function in vivo. ..
- Kato J, Zhu J, Liu C, Stylianou M, Hoffmann V, Lizak M, et al. ADP-ribosylarginine hydrolase regulates cell proliferation and tumorigenesis. Cancer Res. 2011;71:5327-35 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that proper control of protein ADP-ribosylation levels affected by ARH1 is essential for cancer suppression. ..
- Costa V, Rudebeck P. More than Meets the Eye: the Relationship between Pupil Size and Locus Coeruleus Activity. Neuron. 2016;89:8-10 pubmed publisher..2016) show that locus coeruleus (LC) activity closely matches moment-to-moment changes in pupil size. But what causes these two measures to be related is not straightforward. ..
- Gupta P, Sharma A, Han J, Yang A, Bhomia M, Knollmann Ritschel B, et al. Differential host gene responses from infection with neurovirulent and partially-neurovirulent strains of Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:309 pubmed publisher..Future studies are needed to explore the roles played by the genes identified in VEEV induced encephalitis. ..
- Saunders H, Koizumi K, Odenwald W, Nirenberg M. Neuroblast pattern formation: regulatory DNA that confers the vnd/NK-2 homeobox gene pattern on a reporter gene in transgenic lines of Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:8316-21 pubmed..3 and -8. 4 kb is required for vnd/NK-2 gene expression in the most dorsoanterior part of the cephalic region, and (iii) vnd/NK-2 protein is required, directly or indirectly, for maintenance of vnd/NK-2 gene expression. ..
- Kobayashi S, Yoshida K, Ward J, Letterio J, Longenecker G, Yaswen L, et al. Beta 2-microglobulin-deficient background ameliorates lethal phenotype of the TGF-beta 1 null mouse. J Immunol. 1999;163:4013-9 pubmed..Our data thus indicate that MHC class I molecules influence the development of the autoimmunity and the inflammation seen in TGF-beta 1-/- mice and CD8+ T cells may have a contribution to the inflammation in TGF-beta 1-/- mice. ..
- Cohen R, Chandross K. Fibroblast growth factor-9 modulates the expression of myelin related proteins and multiple fibroblast growth factor receptors in developing oligodendrocytes. J Neurosci Res. 2000;61:273-87 pubmed..The effects of FGF-9 and FGF-2 on FGFR and myelin protein levels were comparable; both up-regulated FGFR-1, and down-regulated FGFR-2, CNP, PLP and MBP. These findings suggest that FGF-9 may be important for glial cell development. ..
- Bulavin D, Higashimoto Y, Popoff I, Gaarde W, Basrur V, Potapova O, et al. Initiation of a G2/M checkpoint after ultraviolet radiation requires p38 kinase. Nature. 2001;411:102-7 pubmed..We propose that regulation of Cdc25B phosphorylation by p38 is a critical event for initiating the G2/M checkpoint after ultraviolet radiation. ..
- Spolski R, Alexander Miller M, Kuhn R. Suppressed cytotoxic T lymphocyte responses in experimental cysticercosis. Vet Parasitol. 2002;106:325-30 pubmed..In the present study, we demonstrate that larval-infected mice exhibit suppressed ability to develop anti-virus specific cytotoxic T lymphocyte (CTL) responses while maintaining apparently normal natural killer (NK) cell responsiveness...
- Armando I, Terrón J, Falcón Neri A, Takeshi I, Häuser W, Inagami T, et al. Increased angiotensin II AT(1) receptor expression in paraventricular nucleus and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis stimulation in AT(2) receptor gene disrupted mice. Neuroendocrinology. 2002;76:137-47 pubmed..Our results provide an explanation for the increased sensitivity to stress in this model. ..
- Libutti S, Crabtree J, Lorang D, Burns A, Mazzanti C, Hewitt S, et al. Parathyroid gland-specific deletion of the mouse Men1 gene results in parathyroid neoplasia and hypercalcemic hyperparathyroidism. Cancer Res. 2003;63:8022-8 pubmed..This model provides a means for dissecting the molecular basis of this familial cancer syndrome and may allow for the development of new strategies to treat related forms of hypercalcemia. ..
- Di Pasquale G, Rzadzinska A, Schneider M, Bossis I, Chiorini J, Kachar B. A novel bovine virus efficiently transduces inner ear neuroepithelial cells. Mol Ther. 2005;11:849-55 pubmed..Of the other tested AAVs, AAV2 and AAV5 transduced only a small percentage of inner and vestibular hair cells, respectively, whereas no transduction was detected with AAV4. ..
- Vocci F, Acri J, Elkashef A. Medication development for addictive disorders: the state of the science. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162:1432-40 pubmed..Potential medications that modulate these mechanisms are highlighted. ..
- Kim W, Hong F, Jaruga B, Zhang Z, Fan S, Liang T, et al. Hepatitis B virus X protein sensitizes primary mouse hepatocytes to ethanol- and TNF-alpha-induced apoptosis by a caspase-3-dependent mechanism. Cell Mol Immunol. 2005;2:40-8 pubmed
- Soubias O, Polozov I, Teague W, Yeliseev A, Gawrisch K. Functional reconstitution of rhodopsin into tubular lipid bilayers supported by nanoporous media. Biochemistry. 2006;45:15583-90 pubmed..The change in lipid chain order parameters due to interaction with rhodopsin was insignificant. ..
- Baker S, Kramer B. Paradoxes in carcinogenesis: new opportunities for research directions. BMC Cancer. 2007;7:151 pubmed..Now we have some hope of making progress." The same viewpoint should apply to cancer research. It is easy to ignore this piece of wisdom about the means to advance knowledge, but we do so at our peril. ..
- Quaia C, Ying H, Nichols A, Optican L. The viscoelastic properties of passive eye muscle in primates. I: static forces and step responses. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4850 pubmed publisher..Eye plant models, which for lack of data had to rely on (erroneous) assumptions, will have to be updated to incorporate these properties...
- Kortum R, Sommers C, Alexander C, Pinski J, Li W, Grinberg A, et al. Targeted Sos1 deletion reveals its critical role in early T-cell development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:12407-12 pubmed publisher..These data reveal that Sos1 is uniquely positioned to affect signal transduction early in thymocyte development. ..
- Chou D, Sworder B, Bouladoux N, Roy C, Uchida A, Grigg M, et al. Stromal-derived IL-6 alters the balance of myeloerythroid progenitors during Toxoplasma gondii infection. J Leukoc Biol. 2012;92:123-31 pubmed publisher..Finally, direct ex vivo sorting revealed that VCAM(+)CD146(lo) BM stromal fibroblasts significantly increase IL-6 secretion after infection. These data suggest that BMSCs regulate the hematopoietic changes during inflammation via IL-6. ..
- Germain R, Robey E, Cahalan M. A decade of imaging cellular motility and interaction dynamics in the immune system. Science. 2012;336:1676-81 pubmed publisher..Here, we review themes emerging from such studies and speculate on the future of immunoimaging. ..
- Tellier R, Bukh J, Emerson S, Purcell R. Amplification of the full-length hepatitis A virus genome by long reverse transcription-PCR and transcription of infectious RNA directly from the amplicon. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:4370-3 pubmed
- Iwai K, Drake S, Wehr N, Weissman A, LaVaute T, Minato N, et al. Iron-dependent oxidation, ubiquitination, and degradation of iron regulatory protein 2: implications for degradation of oxidized proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:4924-8 pubmed..Selective targeting and removal of oxidatively modified proteins may contribute to the turnover of many proteins that are degraded by the proteasome. ..
- Lekstrom Himes J, Xanthopoulos K. CCAAT/enhancer binding protein epsilon is critical for effective neutrophil-mediated response to inflammatory challenge. Blood. 1999;93:3096-105 pubmed..Similarities between the C/EBPepsilon-deficient mouse model and the human disease, specific granule deficiency, will be discussed. ..
- Gerschenson M, Poirier M. Fetal patas monkeys sustain mitochondrial toxicity as a result of in utero zidovudine exposure. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2000;918:269-81 pubmed..It is therefore possible that the placenta, which is a readily accessible tissue, might be an indicator of potential mitochondrial toxicity in human pregnancies involving nucleoside analog drug exposure. ..
- Park G, Denning M, Morasso M. Phosphorylation of murine homeodomain protein Dlx3 by protein kinase C. FEBS Lett. 2001;496:60-5 pubmed..These results suggest that Dlx3 protein can be directly phosphorylated by PKC and this affects the DNA binding activity of Dlx3. ..
- Aliberti J, Viola J, Vieira de Abreu A, Bozza P, Sher A, Scharfstein J. Cutting edge: bradykinin induces IL-12 production by dendritic cells: a danger signal that drives Th1 polarization. J Immunol. 2003;170:5349-53 pubmed..Our data thus indicate that kinin peptides can serve as danger signals that trigger dendritic cells to produce IL-12 through activation of B(2) bradykinin receptors. ..
- Turban S, Wang X, Knepper M. Regulation of NHE3, NKCC2, and NCC abundance in kidney during aldosterone escape phenomenon: role of NO. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2003;285:F843-51 pubmed..We conclude that NHE3 and NKCC2 protein abundances in kidney are positively regulated by NO and that the increase in NHE3 abundance seen in the aldosterone escape phenomenon is NO dependent. ..
- Min B, Prout M, Hu Li J, Zhu J, Jankovic D, Morgan E, et al. Basophils produce IL-4 and accumulate in tissues after infection with a Th2-inducing parasite. J Exp Med. 2004;200:507-17 pubmed
- Brown K, Liu Z, Gallinella G, Wong S, Mills I, O Sullivan M. Simian parvovirus infection: a potential zoonosis. J Infect Dis. 2004;190:1900-7 pubmed..We hypothesized that SPV may infect humans and replicate in human bone marrow mononuclear cells...
- Bafica A, Scanga C, Feng C, Leifer C, Cheever A, Sher A. TLR9 regulates Th1 responses and cooperates with TLR2 in mediating optimal resistance to Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Exp Med. 2005;202:1715-24 pubmed..These findings reveal a previously unappreciated role for TLR9 in the host response to M. tuberculosis and illustrate TLR collaboration in host resistance to a major human pathogen. ..
- Choi H, Cho S, Schwartz R, Choi K. Dual effects of Sprouty1 on TCR signaling depending on the differentiation state of the T cell. J Immunol. 2006;176:6034-45 pubmed..Thus, Spry1 uses a novel mechanism to bring about differential effects on TCR signaling through the same receptor, depending on the differentiation state of the T cell. ..
- Wagner E, Jen K, Artiss J, Remaley A. Dietary alpha-cyclodextrin lowers low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and alters plasma fatty acid profile in low-density lipoprotein receptor knockout mice on a high-fat diet. Metabolism. 2008;57:1046-51 pubmed publisher..8%), thus suggesting that it may be useful as a dietary supplement for reducing cardiovascular disease. ..
- Zelazny A, Ding L, Elloumi H, Brinster L, Benedetti F, Czapiga M, et al. Virulence and cellular interactions of Burkholderia multivorans in chronic granulomatous disease. Infect Immun. 2009;77:4337-44 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results may shed light on the unique susceptibility of CGD patients to specific pathogens. ..
- Wilson L, Wong S, Yu N, Geras Raaka E, Raaka B, Gershengorn M. Insulin but not glucagon gene is silenced in human pancreas-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Stem Cells. 2009;27:2703-11 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the INS gene in hIPCs is modified epigenetically ("silenced") so that it is resistant to activation by transcription factors. ..
- Incerti M, Vink J, Roberson R, Wood L, Abebe D, Spong C. Reversal of alcohol-induced learning deficits in the young adult in a model of fetal alcohol syndrome. Obstet Gynecol. 2010;115:350-6 pubmed publisher..Given the role of NMDA receptors in learning, this may explain in part the mechanism of prevention of alcohol-induced learning deficits by D-NAPVSIPQ and D-SALLRSIPA. ..
- Ong K, Blackford J, Kagan B, Simons S, Chow C. A theoretical framework for gene induction and experimental comparisons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:7107-12 pubmed publisher..It also predicts that an FHDC cannot involve the DNA binding of preformed receptor dimers, which is validated experimentally. The theory is general and can be applied to any biochemical reaction that shows an FHDC. ..
- Pérez Victoria F, Abascal Palacios G, Tascón I, Kajava A, Magadán J, Pioro E, et al. Structural basis for the wobbler mouse neurodegenerative disorder caused by mutation in the Vps54 subunit of the GARP complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:12860-5 pubmed publisher..Severely reduced levels of mutant Vps54 and, consequently, of the whole GARP complex underlie the phenotype of the wobbler mouse. ..
- Fabozzi G, Nabel C, Dolan M, Sullivan N. Ebolavirus proteins suppress the effects of small interfering RNA by direct interaction with the mammalian RNA interference pathway. J Virol. 2011;85:2512-23 pubmed publisher..The presence of three suppressors highlights the relevance of host RNAi-dependent antiviral immunity in EBOV infection and illustrates the importance of RNAi in shaping the evolution of RNA viruses...
- Valdez P, Vithayathil P, Janelsins B, Shaffer A, Williamson P, Datta S. Prostaglandin E2 suppresses antifungal immunity by inhibiting interferon regulatory factor 4 function and interleukin-17 expression in T cells. Immunity. 2012;36:668-79 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that host- or pathogen-derived PGE2 can act directly on Th17 cells during differentiation to inhibit IL-17-dependent antimicrobial responses. ..
- Rapoport S. Translational studies on regulation of brain docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) metabolism in vivo. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2013;88:79-85 pubmed publisher..In humans, regional rates of brain DHA metabolism can be quantitatively imaged with positron emission tomography following intravenous injection of [1-Â¹Â¹C]DHA. ..
- Kohr M, Aponte A, Sun J, Gucek M, Steenbergen C, Murphy E. Measurement of S-nitrosylation occupancy in the myocardium with cysteine-reactive tandem mass tags: short communication. Circ Res. 2012;111:1308-12 pubmed publisher..This novel cysTMT labeling approach provides a method for examining SNO occupancy in the myocardium. Using this approach, we demonstrated that IPC-induced SNO occupancy levels are sufficient to protect against oxidation. ..
- Doroshow J, Gaur S, Markel S, Lu J, van Balgooy J, Synold T, et al. Effects of iodonium-class flavin dehydrogenase inhibitors on growth, reactive oxygen production, cell cycle progression, NADPH oxidase 1 levels, and gene expression in human colon cancer cells and xenografts. Free Radic Biol Med. 2013;57:162-75 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that iodonium analogs have therapeutic potential for NADPH oxidase-containing human colon cancers in vivo and that at least part of their antineoplastic mechanism of action may be related to targeting Nox1. ..
- Liu H, Kim S, Fu Y, Wu X, Ng L, Swaroop A, et al. An isoform of retinoid-related orphan receptor Î² directs differentiation of retinal amacrine and horizontal interneurons. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1813 pubmed publisher..Moreover, ectopic RORÎ²1 expression in neonatal retina promotes amacrine cell differentiation. ..
- Huppi K, Mock B, Hilgers J, Kochan J, Kinet J. Receptors for Fc epsilon and Fc gamma are linked on mouse chromosome 1. J Immunol. 1988;141:2807-10 pubmed..This finding raises the possibility that a family of Fc receptors could be found in a region that is known to contain immunologically important markers of lymphocyte surface Ag and autoimmune defects. ..
- Mor G, Yamshchikov G, Sedegah M, Takeno M, Wang R, Houghten R, et al. Induction of neonatal tolerance by plasmid DNA vaccination of mice. J Clin Invest. 1996;98:2700-5 pubmed..These findings demonstrate important differences in the nature and specificity of the immune response elicited by DNA vaccines versus conventional protein immunogens. ..
- McKnight R, Spencer M, Wall R, Hennighausen L. Severe position effects imposed on a 1 kb mouse whey acidic protein gene promoter are overcome by heterologous matrix attachment regions. Mol Reprod Dev. 1996;44:179-84 pubmed..This study provides strong additional evidence that the MAR fragments from the chicken lysozyme gene have the capacity to insulate transgenes from severe position effects. ..
- Stewart D, Tian L, Nelson D. Mutations that cause the Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome impair the interaction of Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome protein (WASP) with WASP interacting protein. J Immunol. 1999;162:5019-24 pubmed..Point mutant analyses in the two-hybrid system and in vitro show impairment of WASP-WIP interaction with three WASP missense mutants known to cause WAS. We conclude that impaired WASP-WIP interaction may contribute to WAS. ..
- Mongan P, Fontana J, Chen R, Bunger R. Intravenous pyruvate prolongs survival during hemorrhagic shock in swine. Am J Physiol. 1999;277:H2253-63 pubmed..The findings reveal considerable metabolic and functional enhancement by pyruvate during severe hemorrhagic shock with a 75-min delay in spontaneous cardiovascular decompensation and death. ..
- Brown K, Young N, Alving B, Barbosa L. Parvovirus B19: implications for transfusion medicine. Summary of a workshop. Transfusion. 2001;41:130-5 pubmed..If clinical trials were to be developed, participants recommended that they include special risk groups such as seronegative pregnant women and children with malignancies who are receiving chemotherapy. ..
- Fairhurst R, Fujioka H, Hayton K, Collins K, Wellems T. Aberrant development of Plasmodium falciparum in hemoglobin CC red cells: implications for the malaria protective effect of the homozygous state. Blood. 2003;101:3309-15 pubmed
- Chen X, Allen M, Bloomfield S, Xu T, Young M. Biglycan-deficient mice have delayed osteogenesis after marrow ablation. Calcif Tissue Int. 2003;72:577-82 pubmed..These data indicate that the absence of bgn directly impeded bone formation. Our results support the concept that bgn is important in controlling osteogenesis following marrow ablation. ..
- Bae D, Handa R, Yang R, Campain J. Gene expression patterns as potential molecular biomarkers for malignant transformation in human keratinocytes treated with MNNG, arsenic, or a metal mixture. Toxicol Sci. 2003;74:32-42 pubmed..Identification of a battery of genes altered during progressive transformation of RHEK-1 should aid in developing a mechanistic understanding of this process, as well as strengthening the utility of these genes as biomarkers. ..
- Bafica A, Scanga C, Schito M, Hieny S, Sher A. Cutting edge: in vivo induction of integrated HIV-1 expression by mycobacteria is critically dependent on Toll-like receptor 2. J Immunol. 2003;171:1123-7 pubmed..Together, these results argue that TLR2 plays a crucial role in the activation of HIV-1 expression by mycobacterial coinfections. ..
- Karbowski M, Arnoult D, Chen H, Chan D, Smith C, Youle R. Quantitation of mitochondrial dynamics by photolabeling of individual organelles shows that mitochondrial fusion is blocked during the Bax activation phase of apoptosis. J Cell Biol. 2004;164:493-9 pubmed..The block in mitochondrial fusion occurs within the same time range as Bax coalescence on the mitochondria and outer mitochondrial membrane permeabilization, and it may be a consequence of Bax/Bak activation during apoptosis. ..
- Zhang J, Chiang Y, Hodes R, Siraganian R. Inactivation of c-Cbl or Cbl-b differentially affects signaling from the high affinity IgE receptor. J Immunol. 2004;173:1811-8 pubmed..These results suggest that Cbl-b and c-Cbl have divergent effects on Fc epsilon RI signal transduction and that Cbl-b, but not c-Cbl, functions as a negative regulator of Fc epsilon RI-induced degranulation. ..
- Hu Y, Zhang H, Cai T, Harashima S, Notkins A. The IA-2 interactome. Diabetologia. 2005;48:2576-81 pubmed..The IA-2 interactome based on, pull-down experiments, currently consists of 12 proteins. The identification of these interacting proteins provides clues as to how IA-2 exerts its biological functions. ..
- Smith N, Figg W, Sparreboom A. Role of the liver-specific transporters OATP1B1 and OATP1B3 in governing drug elimination. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2005;1:429-45 pubmed..Alteration of transporter function by either of these mechanisms may contribute to interindividual variability in drug disposition and response. In this review an update of this rapidly emerging field is provided. ..
- Luan H, Peabody N, Vinson C, White B. Refined spatial manipulation of neuronal function by combinatorial restriction of transgene expression. Neuron. 2006;52:425-36 pubmed..We use this system to dissect a neuronal network in Drosophila by selectively targeting expression of the cell death gene reaper to subsets of neurons within the network. ..
- Casellas R, Zhang Q, Zheng N, Mathias M, Smith K, Wilson P. Igkappa allelic inclusion is a consequence of receptor editing. J Exp Med. 2007;204:153-60 pubmed..Our data measure the scope of allelic inclusion and provide a mechanism whereby autoreactive B cells might "escape" central tolerance. ..
- Lee S, Kim H, Wang N, Bungay P, Gilger B, Yuan P, et al. A pharmacokinetic and safety evaluation of an episcleral cyclosporine implant for potential use in high-risk keratoplasty rejection. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007;48:2023-9 pubmed..The implant can be surgically inserted at the time of penetrating keratoplasties, since the implant achieves therapeutic levels as early as 3 hours. ..
- Xie Z, Geiger T, Johnson E, Nyborg J, Druey K. RGS13 acts as a nuclear repressor of CREB. Mol Cell. 2008;31:660-70 pubmed publisher..B lymphocytes from Rgs13(-/-) mice had more beta(2)-agonist-induced OCA-B expression. Thus, RGS13 inhibits CREB-dependent transcription of target genes through disruption of complexes formed at the promoter. ..
- Sheets R, Stein J, Bailer R, Koup R, Andrews C, Nason M, et al. Biodistribution and toxicological safety of adenovirus type 5 and type 35 vectored vaccines against human immunodeficiency virus-1 (HIV-1), Ebola, or Marburg are similar despite differing adenovirus serotype vector, manufacturer's construct, or gene . J Immunotoxicol. 2008;5:315-35 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate the safety and suitability for investigational human use of Ad5 or Ad35 adenovector-based vaccine candidates at doses of up to 2 x 10(11) given intramuscularly to prevent various infectious diseases. ..
- Loftus S, Antonellis A, Matera I, Renaud G, Baxter L, Reid D, et al. Gpnmb is a melanoblast-expressed, MITF-dependent gene. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2009;22:99-110 pubmed publisher..Future analysis of the Gpnmb locus will provide insight into the transcriptional regulation of melanocytes, and Gpnmb expression can be used as a marker for analyzing melanocyte development and disease progression. ..
- Brell J. Prolonged QTc interval in cancer therapeutic drug development: defining arrhythmic risk in malignancy. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2010;53:164-72 pubmed publisher..We review the issues involved in evaluating the QTc interval-prolonging risk in new anticancer agents. ..
- Zheng Y, Li B, Rudrabhatla P, Shukla V, Amin N, Maric D, et al. Phosphorylation of p27Kip1 at Thr187 by cyclin-dependent kinase 5 modulates neural stem cell differentiation. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:3601-14 pubmed publisher..Cdk5 phosphorylation of p27(Kip1), a modular molecule, may regulate the progress of neuronal differentiation from cell cycle arrest through differentiation, neurite outgrowth, and migration. ..