Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on aged in Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Locale: Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Publications888 found, 100 shown here
- Peay H, Rosenstein D, Biesecker B. Parenting with bipolar disorder: coping with risk of mood disorders to children. Soc Sci Med. 2014;104:194-200 pubmed publisher..Further research is necessary to elucidate the psychological benefits of active coping versus cognitive distancing from child's risk, and explore additional variables that predict parental coping with children's risk of mood disorders. ..
- Johnson J, Pioro E, Boehringer A, Chia R, Feit H, Renton A, et al. Mutations in the Matrin 3 gene cause familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:664-666 pubmed publisher..We also observed MATR3 pathology in ALS-affected spinal cords with and without MATR3 mutations. Our data provide more evidence supporting the role of aberrant RNA processing in motor neuron degeneration. ..
- Ambs A, Warren J, Bellizzi K, Topor M, Haffer S, Clauser S. Overview of the SEER--Medicare Health Outcomes Survey linked dataset. Health Care Financ Rev. 2008;29:5-21 pubmed..This article provides a description of the SEER-MHOS data as a tool to study cancer among Medicare enrollees. In order to highlight the strengths of the database, we also present some descriptive statistics from the database. ..
- Laiyemo A, Kamangar F, Marcus P, Taylor P, Virtamo J, Albanes D, et al. Serum pepsinogen level, atrophic gastritis and the risk of incident pancreatic cancer--a prospective cohort study. Cancer Epidemiol. 2009;33:368-73 pubmed publisher..66-1.95). Atrophic gastritis, serological or histological, is not associated with increased risk of pancreatic cancer. These findings do not provide any evidence for potential usefulness of SPGI for pancreatic cancer screening. ..
- Ammary Risch N, Kwon H, SCARBROUGH W, Higginbotham E, Heath Watson S. Minority primary care physicians' knowledge, attitudes, and practices on eye health and preferred sources of information. J Natl Med Assoc. 2009;101:1247-53 pubmed..Findings from this research reveal both a need and an opportunity with regard to increasing physician confidence in identifying patients at higher risk for eye disease and advising their patients on eye health. ..
- Bailey R, Gahche J, Lentino C, Dwyer J, Engel J, Thomas P, et al. Dietary supplement use in the United States, 2003-2006. J Nutr. 2011;141:261-6 pubmed publisher..Given the widespread use of supplements, data should be included with nutrient intakes from foods to correctly determine total nutrient exposure. ..
- Kauvar D, Martin E, Givens M. Thirty-Day Outcomes after Elective Percutaneous or Open Endovascular Repair of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms. Ann Vasc Surg. 2016;31:46-51 pubmed publisher..PEVAR has the advantage of shorter operative time and the potential for a shorter postoperative stay, and may offer the advantage of fewer wound complications in females and obese patients. ..
- Wiklund I, ANATCHKOVA M, Oko Osi H, von Maltzahn R, Chau D, MALIK F, et al. Incorporating development of a patient-reported outcome instrument in a clinical drug development program: examples from a heart failure program. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2016;14:131 pubmed publisher..Development of a new PRO measure to support a label claim requires significant investment and early planning, as demonstrated by the omecamtiv mecarbil program. ..
- Boudreau E, Liow K, Frattali C, Wiggs E, Turner J, Feuillan P, et al. Hypothalamic hamartomas and seizures: distinct natural history of isolated and Pallister-Hall syndrome cases. Epilepsia. 2005;46:42-7 pubmed..Patients with HH with or without seizures should be evaluated carefully for other clinical manifestations of PHS, particularly before surgery is considered. ..
- Andreotti G, Boffetta P, Rosenberg P, Berndt S, Karami S, Menashe I, et al. Variants in blood pressure genes and the risk of renal cell carcinoma. Carcinogenesis. 2010;31:614-20 pubmed publisher..003). Our findings suggest that common genetic variants of AGT, particularly those in the promoter, increase RCC risk among subjects who are hypertensive or overweight. ..
- Han J, Yu M, Houston N, Steinberg S, Kohn E. Progranulin is a potential prognostic biomarker in advanced epithelial ovarian cancers. Gynecol Oncol. 2011;120:5-10 pubmed publisher..A validation study will be required to confirm this finding and to inform whether PGRN warrants evaluation as a potential screening biomarker. ..
- Moore L, Huang W, Chatterjee N, Gunter M, Chanock S, Yeager M, et al. GSTM1, GSTT1, and GSTP1 polymorphisms and risk of advanced colorectal adenoma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005;14:1823-7 pubmed..These findings only became apparent using a newly developed assay able to distinguish heterozygous from wild-type individuals. Our data provide evidence that phenotypic differences between these two groups exist. ..
- Toro J, Travis L, Wu H, Zhu K, Fletcher C, Devesa S. Incidence patterns of soft tissue sarcomas, regardless of primary site, in the surveillance, epidemiology and end results program, 1978-2001: An analysis of 26,758 cases. Int J Cancer. 2006;119:2922-30 pubmed..Incidence patterns of STS varied markedly by histologic type, supporting the notion that these tumors may be etiologically distinct. ..
- Figg W, Li H, Sissung T, Retter A, Wu S, Gulley J, et al. Pre-clinical and clinical evaluation of estramustine, docetaxel and thalidomide combination in androgen-independent prostate cancer. BJU Int. 2007;99:1047-55 pubmed..The combination of estramustine, docetaxel and thalidomide is an advantageous treatment in pre-clinical models of prostate cancer and is a safe, tolerable and active regimen in patients with AIPC. ..
- Celnik P, Hummel F, Harris Love M, Wolk R, Cohen L. Somatosensory stimulation enhances the effects of training functional hand tasks in patients with chronic stroke. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007;88:1369-76 pubmed..Somatosensory stimulation may enhance the training of functional hand tasks in patients with chronic stroke, possibly through modulation of intracortical GABAergic pathways. ..
- Irie F, Fitzpatrick A, Lopez O, Kuller L, Peila R, Newman A, et al. Enhanced risk for Alzheimer disease in persons with type 2 diabetes and APOE epsilon4: the Cardiovascular Health Study Cognition Study. Arch Neurol. 2008;65:89-93 pubmed publisher..18-9.65) and mixed AD (hazard ratio, 3.89; 95% confidence interval, 1.46-10.40). These data suggest that having both diabetes and APOE epsilon4 increases the risk of dementia, especially for AD and mixed AD. ..
- Gao Y, Hu N, Han X, Giffen C, Ding T, Goldstein A, et al. Family history of cancer and risk for esophageal and gastric cancer in Shanxi, China. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:269 pubmed publisher..82, 95%CI = 1.01-3.29). These data provide strong evidence that shared susceptibility is involved in esophageal carcinogenesis and also suggest a role in prognosis. ..
- Bevans M, Wehrlen L, Prachenko O, Soeken K, Zabora J, Wallen G. Distress screening in allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell (HSCT) caregivers and patients. Psychooncology. 2011;20:615-22 pubmed publisher..Although the diagnostic utility of the DT for HSCT caregivers may be limited, understanding factors associated with distress can guide practice for this understudied population. ..
- Petracci E, Decarli A, Schairer C, Pfeiffer R, Pee D, Masala G, et al. Risk factor modification and projections of absolute breast cancer risk. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011;103:1037-48 pubmed publisher..Our methods are also useful for calculating sample sizes required for trials to test lifestyle interventions. ..
- Calado R, Cooper J, Padilla Nash H, Sloand E, Wu C, Scheinberg P, et al. Short telomeres result in chromosomal instability in hematopoietic cells and precede malignant evolution in human aplastic anemia. Leukemia. 2012;26:700-7 pubmed publisher..These results provide the first clinical direct evidence in humans that short telomeres in hematopoietic cells are dysfunctional, mediate chromosomal instability and predispose to malignant transformation in a human disease. ..
- Karami S, Colt J, Schwartz K, Davis F, Ruterbusch J, Munuo S, et al. A case-control study of occupation/industry and renal cell carcinoma risk. BMC Cancer. 2012;12:344 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide support for an elevated risk of RCC in the agricultural and dry-cleaning industries and suggest that these associations may be stronger for the ccRCC subtype. Additional studies are needed to confirm these findings. ..
- Yabroff K, Dowling E, Rodriguez J, Ekwueme D, Meissner H, Soni A, et al. The Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS) experiences with cancer survivorship supplement. J Cancer Surviv. 2012;6:407-19 pubmed publisher..Research using the MEPS Experiences with Cancer Survivorship Supplement can inform efforts by health care policy makers, healthcare systems, providers, and employers to improve the cancer survivorship experience in the USA. ..
- Herrick J, Lederman R, Sullivan B, Powers J, Palmore T. Brucella arteritis: clinical manifestations, treatment, and prognosis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2014;14:520-6 pubmed publisher..We draw attention to the absence of consensus about the optimum therapy for vascular brucellosis, and the urgent need for additional studies and renewed scientific interest in this major pathogen. ..
- Qi R, Joo H, Sharma Kuinkel B, Berlon N, Park L, Fu C, et al. Increased inÂ vitro phenol-soluble modulin production is associated with soft tissue infection source in clinical isolates of methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus. J Infect. 2016;72:302-8 pubmed publisher..These findings are similar to those described in MRSA, and demonstrate that associations between PSM levels and type of infection are independent of the methicillin-resistance status of the isolate. ..
- Prentice R, Aragaki A, Van Horn L, Thomson C, Beresford S, Robinson J, et al. Low-fat dietary pattern and cardiovascular disease: results from the Women's Health Initiative randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;106:35-43 pubmed publisher..This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00000611. ..
- Day G, Blot W, Shore R, McLaughlin J, Austin D, Greenberg R, et al. Second cancers following oral and pharyngeal cancers: role of tobacco and alcohol. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1994;86:131-7 pubmed..The exceptionally high rate of second primary cancers among patients with oral and pharyngeal cancers is well recognized, yet there has been limited epidemiologic study of risk factors for second tumors...
- Shin M, Kajigaya S, Levin B, Young N. Mitochondrial DNA mutations in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes. Blood. 2003;101:3118-25 pubmed
- Goldstein D, Holmes C, Sharabi Y, Brentzel S, Eisenhofer G. Plasma levels of catechols and metanephrines in neurogenic orthostatic hypotension. Neurology. 2003;60:1327-32 pubmed..From the concept of a unitary sympathoadrenomedullary system, one might predict parallel sympathoneural and adrenomedullary abnormalities in NOH...
- Leitzmann M, Stampfer M, Michaud D, Augustsson K, Colditz G, Willett W, et al. Dietary intake of n-3 and n-6 fatty acids and the risk of prostate cancer. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004;80:204-16 pubmed..62 (0.45, 0.86). Increased dietary intakes of ALA may increase the risk of advanced prostate cancer. In contrast, EPA and DHA intakes may reduce the risk of total and advanced prostate cancer. ..
- Arlen P, Gulley J, Todd N, Lieberman R, Steinberg S, Morin S, et al. Antiandrogen, vaccine and combination therapy in patients with nonmetastatic hormone refractory prostate cancer. J Urol. 2005;174:539-46 pubmed..9 months from initiation of therapy. Further studies are merited to investigate the role of combining vaccine with antiandrogen therapy or vaccine followed by vaccine plus antiandrogen therapy in this patient population. ..
- Danforth K, Hayes R, Rodriguez C, Yu K, Sakoda L, Huang W, et al. Polymorphic variants in PTGS2 and prostate cancer risk: results from two large nested case-control studies. Carcinogenesis. 2008;29:568-72 pubmed
- SportÃ¨s C, Steinberg S, Liewehr D, Gea Banacloche J, Danforth D, Avila D, et al. Strategies to improve long-term outcome in stage IIIB inflammatory breast cancer: multimodality treatment including dose-intensive induction and high-dose chemotherapy. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2009;15:963-70 pubmed publisher..They strongly suggest, along with results of several already published phase II trials, that ASCT could play a significant role in the first line treatment of IBC. ..
- Harlan L, Zujewski J, Goodman M, Stevens J. Breast cancer in men in the United States: a population-based study of diagnosis, treatment, and survival. Cancer. 2010;116:3558-68 pubmed publisher..However, their use did not result in a decrease in cancer mortality. Research must examine the efficacy of AIs with and without gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues. ..
- Goldin L, Lanasa M, Slager S, Cerhan J, Vachon C, Strom S, et al. Common occurrence of monoclonal B-cell lymphocytosis among members of high-risk CLL families. Br J Haematol. 2010;151:152-8 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that MBL occurs at a very high rate in high risk CLL families. Both the age and gender distribution of MBL are parallel to CLL, implying a shared inherited risk...
- Raymundo E, Rice K, Chen Y, Zhao J, Brassell S. Prostate cancer in Asian Americans: incidence, management and outcomes in an equal access healthcare system. BJU Int. 2011;107:1216-22 pubmed publisher..Asian ethnicity's negative impact on survival noted by others appears to be the result of factors other than the tumour's intrinsic behaviour, such as language barriers, socioeconomic status and cultural norms. ..
- Madan R, Mohebtash M, Arlen P, Vergati M, Rauckhorst M, Steinberg S, et al. Ipilimumab and a poxviral vaccine targeting prostate-specific antigen in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer: a phase 1 dose-escalation trial. Lancet Oncol. 2012;13:501-8 pubmed publisher..Randomised trials are needed to further assess clinical outcomes of the combination of ipilimumab and vaccine in mCRPC. US National Institutes of Health. ..
- Dreher J, Koch P, Kohn P, Apud J, Weinberger D, Berman K. Common and differential pathophysiological features accompany comparable cognitive impairments in medication-free patients with schizophrenia and in healthy aging subjects. Biol Psychiatry. 2012;71:890-7 pubmed publisher..Finally, these results more closely link the DLPFC functional abnormalities in schizophrenia to the pathophysiology of the disorder rather than to poor performance per se. ..
- Beason Held L, Thambisetty M, Deib G, Sojkova J, Landman B, Zonderman A, et al. Baseline cardiovascular risk predicts subsequent changes in resting brain function. Stroke. 2012;43:1542-7 pubmed publisher..These results, in conjunction with other studies, encourage early treatment of cardiovascular risk factors in older individuals. ..
- Knox S, Lombaert I, Haddox C, Abrams S, Cotrim A, Wilson A, et al. Parasympathetic stimulation improves epithelial organ regeneration. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1494 pubmed publisher..We propose that neurturin will protect the parasympathetic nerves from damage and improve organ regeneration. This concept may be applicable for other organs where parasympathetic innervation influences their function. ..
- Bagci U, Yao J, Miller Jaster K, Chen X, Mollura D. Predicting future morphological changes of lesions from radiotracer uptake in 18F-FDG-PET images. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e57105 pubmed publisher..We also found that integrating textural features with SUV measurements significantly improves the prediction accuracy of morphological changes (Spearman correlation coefficient = 0.8715, p<2e-16). ..
- Major J, Yu K, Weinstein S, Berndt S, Hyland P, Yeager M, et al. Genetic variants reflecting higher vitamin e status in men are associated with reduced risk of prostate cancer. J Nutr. 2014;144:729-33 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that polymorphisms near BUD13/ZNF259/APOA5, involved in vitamin E transport and metabolism, may be associated with lower risk of prostate cancer. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00002540. ..
- Bavry A, Handberg E, Huo T, Lerman A, Quyyumi A, Shufelt C, et al. Aldosterone inhibition and coronary endothelial function in women without obstructive coronary artery disease: an ancillary study of the national heart, lung, and blood institute-sponsored women's ischemia syndrome evaluation. Am Heart J. 2014;167:826-32 pubmed publisher..66). Adding aldosterone receptor blockade to angiotensin II inhibition did not improve coronary endothelial or microvascular function among women with signs and symptoms of ischemia in the setting of nonobstructive CAD. ..
- Gencer B, Auer R, de Rekeneire N, Butler J, Kalogeropoulos A, Bauer D, et al. Association between resistin levels and cardiovascular disease events in older adults: The health, aging and body composition study. Atherosclerosis. 2016;245:181-6 pubmed publisher..In older adults, higher resistin levels are associated with CVD events independently of clinical risk factors and metabolic disease markers, but markedly attenuated by inflammation. ..
- Tofler G, Massaro J, O Donnell C, Wilson P, Vasan R, Sutherland P, et al. Plasminogen activator inhibitor and the risk of cardiovascular disease: The Framingham Heart Study. Thromb Res. 2016;140:30-35 pubmed publisher..A serial increase in PAI-1 is associated with a further increase in risk. These findings support the importance of fibrinolytic potential in CVD. ..
- Akin C, Schwartz L, Kitoh T, Obayashi H, Worobec A, Scott L, et al. Soluble stem cell factor receptor (CD117) and IL-2 receptor alpha chain (CD25) levels in the plasma of patients with mastocytosis: relationships to disease severity and bone marrow pathology. Blood. 2000;96:1267-73 pubmed..Blood. 2000;96:1267-1273)..
- Wiestner A, Rosenwald A, Barry T, Wright G, Davis R, Henrickson S, et al. ZAP-70 expression identifies a chronic lymphocytic leukemia subtype with unmutated immunoglobulin genes, inferior clinical outcome, and distinct gene expression profile. Blood. 2003;101:4944-51 pubmed..We developed reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction and immunohistochemical assays for ZAP-70 expression that can be applied clinically and would yield important prognostic information for patients with CLL. ..
- Everhart J, Yeh F, Lee E, Hill M, Fabsitz R, Howard B, et al. Prevalence of gallbladder disease in American Indian populations: findings from the Strong Heart Study. Hepatology. 2002;35:1507-12 pubmed..Body mass index was not independently associated with GBD in either sex. In conclusion, GBD was found in epidemic proportions in diverse American Indian populations. ..
- Bettinotti M, Panelli M, Ruppe E, Mocellin S, Phan G, White D, et al. Clinical and immunological evaluation of patients with metastatic melanoma undergoing immunization with the HLA-Cw*0702-associated epitope MAGE-A12:170-178. Int J Cancer. 2003;105:210-6 pubmed..Because of the modest immunological and clinical results, the present protocol has been discontinued as new routes of administration are being considered. ..
- Hsing A, Sakoda L, Rashid A, Chen J, Shen M, Han T, et al. Body size and the risk of biliary tract cancer: a population-based study in China. Br J Cancer. 2008;99:811-5 pubmed publisher..The increasing prevalence of obesity and cholesterol stones in Shanghai seems at least partly responsible for the rising incidence of gall bladder cancer in Shanghai...
- Henderson W, Shankar R, Gill J, Kim K, Ghany M, Skanderson M, et al. Hepatitis C progressing to hepatocellular carcinoma: the HCV dialysis patient in dilemma. J Viral Hepat. 2010;17:59-64 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these findings indicate links between HCV and HCC which are valuable in case management for identifying; monitoring, and managing dialysis patients with HCC. ..
- Kreimer A, Bhatia R, Messeguer A, Gonzalez P, Herrero R, Giuliano A. Oral human papillomavirus in healthy individuals: a systematic review of the literature. Sex Transm Dis. 2010;37:386-91 pubmed publisher..HPV16 DNA detected in oral specimens has recently been identified as a risk factor for some oropharyngeal cancers. The reported prevalence of oral HPV infection from individual studies is highly variable...
- Ashida S, Koehly L, Roberts J, Chen C, Hiraki S, Green R. The role of disease perceptions and results sharing in psychological adaptation after genetic susceptibility testing: the REVEAL Study. Eur J Hum Genet. 2010;18:1296-301 pubmed publisher..Enhancing discussion with regard to risks and concerns about AD during pretesting counseling and obtaining support through sharing the results after testing may help facilitate test recipients' long-term psychological adaptation. ..
- Ripley R, Kemp C, Davis J, Langan R, Royal R, Libutti S, et al. Liver resection and ablation for metastatic adrenocortical carcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011;18:1972-9 pubmed publisher..Given the lack of effective systemic treatment options and the safety of resection and ablation, liver resection or RFA may be considered in selected patients with ACC metastatic to the liver especially with a long DFI. ..
- Scheinberg P, Nunez O, Weinstein B, Scheinberg P, Wu C, Young N. Activity of alemtuzumab monotherapy in treatment-naive, relapsed, and refractory severe acquired aplastic anemia. Blood. 2012;119:345-54 pubmed publisher..We conclude that alemtuzumab is effective in SAA, but best results are obtained in the relapsed and refractory settings. The present trials were registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00195624, NCT00260689, and NCT00065260. ..
- Shuch B, Bratslavsky G, Shih J, Vourganti S, Finley D, Castor B, et al. Impact of pathological tumour characteristics in patients with sarcomatoid renal cell carcinoma. BJU Int. 2012;109:1600-6 pubmed publisher..A prognostic model, if validated, could aid in patient counselling and/or clinical trial design. ..
- Majounie E, Renton A, Mok K, Dopper E, Waite A, Rollinson S, et al. Frequency of the C9orf72 hexanucleotide repeat expansion in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and frontotemporal dementia: a cross-sectional study. Lancet Neurol. 2012;11:323-30 pubmed publisher..Testing for this pathogenic expansion should be considered in the management and genetic counselling of patients with these fatal neurodegenerative diseases. Full funding sources listed at end of paper (see Acknowledgments). ..
- Watson M, Baker T, Nguyen A, Sebastianelli M, Stewart H, Oliver D, et al. Association of prescription of oral sodium polystyrene sulfonate with sorbitol in an inpatient setting with colonic necrosis: a retrospective cohort study. Am J Kidney Dis. 2012;60:409-16 pubmed publisher..Colonic necrosis has been reported after sodium polystyrene sulfonate (SPS)/sorbitol use, but the incidence and relative risk (RR) are not established...
- Low P, Robertson D, Gilman S, Kaufmann H, Singer W, Biaggioni I, et al. Efficacy and safety of rifampicin for multiple system atrophy: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Neurol. 2014;13:268-75 pubmed publisher..National Institutes of Health, Mayo Clinic Center for Translational Science Activities, and Mayo Funds. ..
- Berrettini W, Kaye W, Sunderland T, May C, Gwirtsman H, Mellow A, et al. Galanin immunoreactivity in human CSF: studies in eating disorders and Alzheimer's disease. Neuropsychobiology. 1988;19:64-8 pubmed..CSF galanin levels were determined in subjects with Alzheimer's disease, involutional depression, anorexia nervosa and bulimia. No differences between any diagnostic group and age and sex-matched controls were found. ..
- Dagvadorj A, Goudeau B, Hilton Jones D, Blancato J, Shatunov A, Simon Casteras M, et al. Respiratory insufficiency in desminopathy patients caused by introduction of proline residues in desmin c-terminal alpha-helical segment. Muscle Nerve. 2003;27:669-75 pubmed
- Cannon Spoor H, Levy J, Zubenko G, Zubenko W, Cohen R, Mirza N, et al. Effects of previous major depressive illness on cognition in Alzheimer disease patients. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2005;13:312-8 pubmed
- Suwannarat P, O BRIEN K, Perry M, Sebring N, Bernardini I, Kaiser Kupfer M, et al. Use of nitisinone in patients with alkaptonuria. Metabolism. 2005;54:719-28 pubmed..Future long-term clinical trials are planned to determine the benefits of nitisinone in preventing joint deterioration and providing pain relief, and its long-term side effects. ..
- Chan C, Tuo J, Bojanowski C, Csaky K, Green W. Detection of CX3CR1 single nucleotide polymorphism and expression on archived eyes with age-related macular degeneration. Histol Histopathol. 2005;20:857-63 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the M280 allele, a SNP resulting in aberrant CX3CR1 and CX3CL1 interaction, as well as lowered expression of macular CX3CR1, may contribute to the development of AMD. ..
- Wheaton L, Bohlhalter S, Nolte G, Shibasaki H, Hattori N, Fridman E, et al. Cortico-cortical networks in patients with ideomotor apraxia as revealed by EEG coherence analysis. Neurosci Lett. 2008;433:87-92 pubmed publisher..Left hemisphere stroke patients showed significant coherence increases in a right parietofrontal network. The right hemisphere appears to store useable praxis representations in IMA patients with left hemisphere damage...
- Berrigan D, Potischman N, Dodd K, Hursting S, Lavigne J, Barrett J, et al. Race/ethnic variation in serum levels of IGF-I and IGFBP-3 in US adults. Growth Horm IGF Res. 2009;19:146-55 pubmed publisher..After adjustment for age and BMI, gender and race/ethnicity differences persist. These cross-sectional data support exploration of the IGF axis as an explanation for some race/ethnic differences in cancer incidence. ..
- Lehky T, Chen C, Di Prospero N, Rhodes L, Fischbeck K, Floeter M. Standard and modified statistical MUNE evaluations in spinal-bulbar muscular atrophy. Muscle Nerve. 2009;40:809-14 pubmed publisher..Exclusion of the low-amplitude SMUPs reduces the calculated MUNE. ..
- Gagarina V, Gabay O, Dvir Ginzberg M, Lee E, Brady J, Quon M, et al. SirT1 enhances survival of human osteoarthritic chondrocytes by repressing protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B and activating the insulin-like growth factor receptor pathway. Arthritis Rheum. 2010;62:1383-92 pubmed publisher..For the first time, it has been demonstrated that SirT1 is a mediator of human chondrocyte survival via down-regulation of PTP1B, a potent proapoptotic protein that is elevated in OA cartilage. ..
- Yang X, Liang X, Pfeiffer R, Wheeler W, Maeder D, Burdette L, et al. Associations of 9p21 variants with cutaneous malignant melanoma, nevi, and pigmentation phenotypes in melanoma-prone families with and without CDKN2A mutations. Fam Cancer. 2010;9:625-33 pubmed publisher..These genetic variants may, at least partially, exert their effects through nevi and tanning ability. ..
- Chu C, Hsu A, Chou K, Bandettini P, Lin C. Does feature selection improve classification accuracy? Impact of sample size and feature selection on classification using anatomical magnetic resonance images. Neuroimage. 2012;60:59-70 pubmed publisher..In general, larger sample sizes yielded higher accuracies with less advantage obtained by using knowledge from the existing literature. ..
- Rossouw J, Johnson K, Pettinger M, Cushman M, Sandset P, Kuller L, et al. Tissue factor pathway inhibitor, activated protein C resistance, and risk of ischemic stroke due to postmenopausal hormone therapy. Stroke. 2012;43:952-7 pubmed publisher..008). Procoagulant changes in TFPI or nAPCsr do not modify the increased ischemic stroke risk due to postmenopausal hormone therapy. Clinical Trial Registration- URL: www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT 00000611. ..
- Mercaldi C, Lanes S. Ultrasound guidance decreases complications and improves the cost of care among patients undergoing thoracentesis and paracentesis. Chest. 2013;143:532-538 pubmed publisher..These complications resulted in measurable increases in hospitalization costs and LOS. ..
- Ardeljan D, Meyerle C, Agrón E, Wang J, Mitchell P, Chew E, et al. Influence of TIMP3/SYN3 polymorphisms on the phenotypic presentation of age-related macular degeneration. Eur J Hum Genet. 2013;21:1152-7 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that rs9621532 carriers have a lower risk of developing nAMD, potentially because of decreased transcription of TIMP3. ..
- Hosgood H, Au W, Kim H, Liu J, Hu W, Tse J, et al. IL10 and TNF variants and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma among three Asian populations. Int J Hematol. 2013;97:793-9 pubmed publisher..003), specifically DLBCL (per-allele ORÂ =Â 0.69, 95Â % CIÂ 0.55-0.86; p trendÂ =Â 0.001). Our findings suggest that genetic variation in IL10 and TNF may also play a role in lymphomagenesis in Asian populations. ..
- Atack J, Beal M, May C, Kaye J, Mazurek M, Kay A, et al. Cerebrospinal fluid somatostatin and neuropeptide Y. Concentrations in aging and in dementia of the Alzheimer type with and without extrapyramidal signs. Arch Neurol. 1988;45:269-74 pubmed..8, 37.0 +/- 12.3, and 30.3 +/- 7.8 pg/mL, respectively). These results suggest that in DAT, dysfunction of cortical somatostatin but not neuropeptide Y transmitter systems is reflected by reduced cerebrospinal fluid concentrations. ..
- Brook I, Frazier E. Clinical features and aerobic and anaerobic microbiological characteristics of cellulitis. Arch Surg. 1995;130:786-92 pubmed..These data highlight the polymicrobial nature of cellulitis. ..
- Zimering M, Katsumata N, Sato Y, Brandi M, Aurbach G, Marx S, et al. Increased basic fibroblast growth factor in plasma from multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1: relation to pituitary tumor. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1993;76:1182-7 pubmed..We conclude that pituitary tumor is a possible source of high circulating bFGF immunoreactivity in MEN1 plasma. ..
- Beane Freeman L, Dennis L, Lynch C, Thorne P, Just C. Toenail arsenic content and cutaneous melanoma in Iowa. Am J Epidemiol. 2004;160:679-87 pubmed..03). The arsenic-melanoma findings in this study are not known to have been previously reported in observational epidemiologic studies involving incident cutaneous melanoma. Therefore, the findings warrant confirmation...
- DiProspero N, Chen E, Charles V, Plomann M, Kordower J, Tagle D. Early changes in Huntington's disease patient brains involve alterations in cytoskeletal and synaptic elements. J Neurocytol. 2004;33:517-33 pubmed..We propose that mutant huntingtin affects proteins involved in synaptic function and cytoskeletal integrity before symptoms develop which may influence early disease onset and/or progression. ..
- Weickert C, Webster M, Gondipalli P, Rothmond D, Fatula R, Herman M, et al. Postnatal alterations in dopaminergic markers in the human prefrontal cortex. Neuroscience. 2007;144:1109-19 pubmed..The peak in DAR1 mRNA levels around adolescence/early adulthood may be of particular relevance to neuropsychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia in which symptoms manifest during the same developmental period. ..
- Lan Q, Zheng T, Shen M, Zhang Y, Wang S, Zahm S, et al. Genetic polymorphisms in the oxidative stress pathway and susceptibility to non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Hum Genet. 2007;121:161-8 pubmed..013), but was also associated with non-significant increased risks for each of the common B-cell histologies. These results suggest that SNPs in genes related to the oxidative stress pathway may be associated with increased risk of NHL. ..
- Grubb R, Franks M, Toro J, Middelton L, Choyke L, Fowler S, et al. Hereditary leiomyomatosis and renal cell cancer: a syndrome associated with an aggressive form of inherited renal cancer. J Urol. 2007;177:2074-9; discussion 2079-80 pubmed..We report the clinical characteristics and urological treatment of patients with hereditary leiomyomatosis and renal cell cancer associated renal tumors...
- Yabroff K, Harlan L, Clegg L, Ballard Barbash R, Stevens J, Weaver D. Is mode of breast cancer detection associated with cancer treatment in the United States?. Cancer. 2008;112:1011-9 pubmed publisher..Future research exploring mode of detection, guideline-consistent treatment, and survival among patients with recently diagnosed breast cancer may inform understanding of factors associated with breast cancer prognosis. ..
- Guerreiro R, Schymick J, Crews C, Singleton A, Hardy J, Traynor B. TDP-43 is not a common cause of sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2450 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that genetic variation in TARDBP is not a common cause of sporadic ALS in North American. ..
- Moore S, Leitzmann M, Albanes D, Weinstein S, Snyder K, Virtamo J, et al. Adipokine genes and prostate cancer risk. Int J Cancer. 2009;124:869-76 pubmed publisher..05). Polymorphisms in the IL6, LEPR, TNF and ADIPOQ genes were not associated with prostate cancer. Allelic variants in the LEP gene are related to prostate cancer risk, supporting a role for leptin in prostate carcinogenesis. ..
- Boccia R, Cosgriff T, Headley D, Badarinath S, Dakhil S. A phase II trial of FOLFOX6 and cetuximab in the first-line treatment of patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2010;9:102-7 pubmed publisher..The efficacy parameters are similar to other first-line regimens in mCRC. Because of the emergence of KRAS as a predictive marker, this regimen has promise in KRAS wild-type mCRC. ..
- Seitz A, Olivier K, Steiner C, Montes de Oca R, Holland S, Prevots D. Trends and burden of bronchiectasis-associated hospitalizations in the United States, 1993-2006. Chest. 2010;138:944-9 pubmed publisher..This study furthers the understanding of the impact of bronchiectasis and demonstrates the need for further research to identify risk factors and reasons for the increasing burden. ..
- Landoure G, Knight M, Stanescu H, Taye A, Shi Y, Diallo O, et al. A candidate gene for autoimmune myasthenia gravis. Neurology. 2012;79:342-7 pubmed..These results indicate that this sequence variant in ENOX1 may contribute to the familial autoimmune myasthenia in these patients. ..
- Schenk J, Till C, Hsing A, Stanczyk F, Gong Z, Neuhouser M, et al. Serum androgens and prostate cancer risk: results from the placebo arm of the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial. Cancer Causes Control. 2016;27:175-82 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to evaluate the role of androgens, timing of exposure, genetic modulators of androgen metabolism, or environmental exposures that may affect androgen influence on prostate carcinogenesis. ..