Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on aged in Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Locale: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Publications905 found, 100 shown here
- Chaichana K, Zadnik P, Weingart J, Olivi A, Gallia G, Blakeley J, et al. Multiple resections for patients with glioblastoma: prolonging survival. J Neurosurg. 2013;118:812-20 pubmed publisher..The authors attempted to minimize these biases by using strict inclusion criteria, multivariate analyses, and case-control evaluation. ..
- Trujillo A, Mroz T, Piras C, Angeles G, Tran N. Caregiving and elderly health in Mexico. Int J Health Serv. 2012;42:667-94 pubmed..The protective effect of informal care provided by sons is not statistically significant for any health outcomes. A discussion of the policy options to increase elderly health and to improve the role of caregivers is included. ..
- Gonzalez Roibon N, Albadine R, Sharma R, Faraj S, Illei P, Argani P, et al. The role of GATA binding protein 3 in the differential diagnosis of collecting duct and upper tract urothelial carcinomas. Hum Pathol. 2013;44:2651-7 pubmed publisher..Adding this marker to the combination panel of p63 and PAX8 might improve its performance in the diagnosis of epithelial neoplasms involving the renal sinus. ..
- Hong S, Cagle J. Factors associated with perceptions of the cancer care system: a multilevel modeling approach. J Psychosoc Oncol. 2013;31:642-58 pubmed publisher..Also, respondents in states where more Christians resided and lower hospital capacity were more likely to indicate satisfaction. Findings suggest implications for practitioners and health policy makers. ..
- Wynes J, Lamm B, Andrade B, Malay D. Preoperative Planning and Intraoperative Technique for Accurate Translation of a Distal First Metatarsal Osteotomy. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2016;55:49-54 pubmed publisher..The results of our study indicate that predicted preoperative and executed intraoperative lateral translation of the capital fragment correlates with statistically and clinically significant reductions in the first IMA, HAA, and TSP. ..
- Khavanin N, Qiu C, Mlodinow A, Vu M, Dorfman R, Fine N, et al. External validation of the breast reconstruction risk assessment calculator. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2017;70:876-883 pubmed publisher..Some weaknesses in certain models were identified as targets for future improvement. Taken together, these analyses validate the clinical utility of the BRA score risk models in predicting 30-day outcomes. ..
- Tibuakuu M, Zhao D, De Boer I, Guallar E, Bortnick A, Lutsey P, et al. Relation of Serum Vitamin D to Risk of Mitral Annular and Aortic Valve Calcium (from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis). Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:473-478 pubmed publisher..Results suggest a possible link between serum 25(OH)D and the risk for incident MAC, but future studies with longer follow-up are needed to further test this association. ..
- Hochberg C, Maul E, Chan E, van Landingham S, Ferrucci L, Friedman D, et al. Association of vision loss in glaucoma and age-related macular degeneration with IADL disability. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012;53:3201-6 pubmed publisher..3). VA loss in AMD and severe VF loss in glaucoma are associated with self-reported difficulties with IADLs. These limitations become more likely with increasing magnitude of VA or VF loss. ..
- Del Pizzo J, Borkowski A, Jacobs S, Kyprianou N. Loss of cell cycle regulators p27(Kip1) and cyclin E in transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder correlates with tumor grade and patient survival. Am J Pathol. 1999;155:1129-36 pubmed
- Emens L, Asquith J, Leatherman J, Kobrin B, Petrik S, Laiko M, et al. Timed sequential treatment with cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and an allogeneic granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor-secreting breast tumor vaccine: a chemotherapy dose-ranging factorial study of safety and immune activation. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:5911-8 pubmed publisher..Third, factorial designs provide an opportunity to identify the most active combination of interacting drugs in patients. Further investigation of the impact of chemotherapy on vaccine-induced immunity is warranted. ..
- Boulware L, Hill Briggs F, Kraus E, Melancon J, Falcone B, Ephraim P, et al. Effectiveness of educational and social worker interventions to activate patients' discussion and pursuit of preemptive living donor kidney transplantation: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Kidney Dis. 2013;61:476-86 pubmed publisher..TALK interventions improved discussion and active pursuit of living donor kidney transplantation in patients with progressive CKD and may improve their use of preemptive living donor kidney transplantation. ..
- Kurella Tamura M, Vittinghoff E, Yang J, Go A, Seliger S, Kusek J, et al. Anemia and risk for cognitive decline in chronic kidney disease. BMC Nephrol. 2016;17:13 pubmed publisher..Among older adults with CKD, anemia was not independently associated with baseline cognitive function or decline. ..
- Glenn B, Stewart W, Schwartz B, Bressler J. Relation of alleles of the sodium-potassium adenosine triphosphatase alpha 2 gene with blood pressure and lead exposure. Am J Epidemiol. 2001;153:537-45 pubmed..However, because the number of subjects (especially African Americans) with the susceptible genotype in this study was small, these observations should be considered preliminary. ..
- Ryan A, Muller D, Elahi D. Sequential hyperglycemic-euglycemic clamp to assess beta-cell and peripheral tissue: studies in female athletes. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2001;91:872-81 pubmed..We have shown that physical activity improves beta-cell efficiency across the age span in women and ameliorates the effect of age on the decline of peripheral tissue sensitivity to insulin...
- Miskala P, Hawkins B, Mangione C, Bass E, Bressler N, Dong L, et al. Responsiveness of the National Eye Institute Visual Function Questionnaire to changes in visual acuity: findings in patients with subfoveal choroidal neovascularization--SST Report No. 1. Arch Ophthalmol. 2003;121:531-9 pubmed..Thus, the NEI-VFQ can be used to measure change in vision-targeted quality of life over time to augment clinical measurements of visual acuity. ..
- Parsons J, Lancini V, Shetye K, Regan F, Potter S, Jarrett T. Urinary stone size: comparison of abdominal plain radiography and noncontrast CT measurements. J Endourol. 2003;17:725-8 pubmed..As AXRs are more expeditiously obtained, incur less direct costs, and expose patients to significantly lower doses of radiation than CT scans, they remain a useful adjunctive study in the work-up of nephrolithiasis. ..
- Trembath D, Ervin J, Broom L, Szymanski M, Welsh Bohmer K, Pieper C, et al. The distribution of cerebrovascular amyloid in Alzheimer's disease varies with ApoE genotype. Acta Neuropathol. 2007;113:23-31 pubmed..These observations may give insight into the etiology behind the increased risk for AD associated with the ApoE-epsilon4 allele and the pathogenesis of vascular Abeta deposition. ..
- Gallicchio L, Chang H, Christo D, Thuita L, Huang H, Strickland P, et al. Single nucleotide polymorphisms in inflammation-related genes and mortality in a community-based cohort in Washington County, Maryland. Am J Epidemiol. 2008;167:807-13 pubmed publisher..The authors' findings from this community-based prospective cohort study suggest that the selected SNPs are not associated with overall or cause-specific death, although CRP genotypes may be associated with systemic inflammation. ..
- Rice S, Zonderman A, Metter E, Najjar S, Waldstein S. Absence of relation between depressive symptoms and carotid intimal medial thickness in the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging. Psychosom Med. 2009;71:70-6 pubmed publisher..Additional analyses similarly revealed a lack of significant associations. There is no association between depressive symptoms and carotid IMT in the present sample of healthy community-dwelling volunteers. ..
- Leng S, Hung W, Cappola A, Yu Q, Xue Q, Fried L. White blood cell counts, insulin-like growth factor-1 levels, and frailty in community-dwelling older women. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2009;64:499-502 pubmed publisher..They also provide a basis for further investigation into the complex immune-endocrine dysregulations in frailty. ..
- Demokan S, Chang X, Chuang A, Mydlarz W, Kaur J, Huang P, et al. KIF1A and EDNRB are differentially methylated in primary HNSCC and salivary rinses. Int J Cancer. 2010;127:2351-9 pubmed publisher..Promoter hypermethylation of KIF1A and EDNRB is a frequent event in primary HNSCC, and these genes are preferentially methylated in salivary rinses from HNSCC patients. KIF1A and EDNRB are potential biomarkers for HNSCC detection. ..
- Beydoun M, Boueiz A, Shroff M, Beydoun H, Wang Y, Zonderman A. Associations among 25-hydroxyvitamin D, diet quality, and metabolic disturbance differ by adiposity in adults in the United States. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95:3814-27 pubmed publisher..Due to potential genetic differences between CO- and CO+ groups, empowering U.S. adults with central obesity to make related behavioral changes may be especially effective in improving their vitamin D status and metabolic profile. ..
- Lin F. Hearing loss and cognition among older adults in the United States. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011;66:1131-6 pubmed publisher..Hearing loss is independently associated with lower scores on the DSST. Further research is needed to determine whether hearing loss is a modifiable risk factor or an early marker of cognitive decline. ..
- Mielke M, Haughey N, Bandaru V, Weinberg D, Darby E, Zaidi N, et al. Plasma sphingomyelins are associated with cognitive progression in Alzheimer's disease. J Alzheimers Dis. 2011;27:259-69 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that increased SM/ceramide and DHSM/DHCer ratios dose-dependently predict slower progression among AD patients and may be sensitive blood-based biomarkers for clinical progression. ..
- Yoneyama K, Gjesdal O, Choi E, Wu C, Hundley W, Gomes A, et al. Age, sex, and hypertension-related remodeling influences left ventricular torsion assessed by tagged cardiac magnetic resonance in asymptomatic individuals: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. Circulation. 2012;126:2481-90 pubmed publisher..Torsion may therefore represent a compensatory mechanism to maintain an adequate stroke volume and cardiac output in the face of the progressively reduced LV volumes and myocardial shortening associated with hypertension and aging. ..
- Mullins J, Bonekamp D, Landis P, Begum H, Partin A, Epstein J, et al. Multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging findings in men with low-risk prostate cancer followed using active surveillance. BJU Int. 2013;111:1037-45 pubmed publisher..5%, P = 0.04). A non-suspicious MRI was highly correlated with a lack of path-index lesions in an AS population. Multiparametric MRI may be useful in both the selection and monitoring of patients undergoing AS. ..
- Wolinsky J, Sciubba D, Suk I, Gokaslan Z. Endoscopic image-guided odontoidectomy for decompression of basilar invagination via a standard anterior cervical approach. Technical note. J Neurosurg Spine. 2007;6:184-91 pubmed..The technique is safe and effective for decompression and provides a surgical route that can be added to the armamentarium of treatments for pathological conditions in this region. ..
- MacKenzie E, Rivara F, Jurkovich G, Nathens A, Egleston B, Salkever D, et al. The impact of trauma-center care on functional outcomes following major lower-limb trauma. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008;90:101-9 pubmed publisher..This study provides evidence that patients who sustain high-energy lower-limb trauma benefit from treatment at a level-I trauma center. ..
- Brock M, Hooker C, Ota Machida E, Han Y, Guo M, Ames S, et al. DNA methylation markers and early recurrence in stage I lung cancer. N Engl J Med. 2008;358:1118-28 pubmed publisher..Methylation of the promoter region of the four genes in patients with stage I NSCLC treated with curative intent by means of surgery is associated with early recurrence. ..
- Strouse J, Jordan L, Lanzkron S, Casella J. The excess burden of stroke in hospitalized adults with sickle cell disease. Am J Hematol. 2009;84:548-52 pubmed publisher..Stroke in SCD is associated with several known adult risk factors for ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke. Studies for the primary and secondary prevention of stroke in adults with SCD are urgently needed. ..
- Chaudry M, Flinn W, Kim K, Neschis D. Traumatic arteriovenous fistula 52 years after injury. J Vasc Surg. 2010;51:1265-7 pubmed publisher..It provides a rare look at the natural history of a traumatic AVF over 50 years following the initial injury. ..
- Resnick B, Galik E, Boltz M. Function focused care approaches: literature review of progress and future possibilities. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013;14:313-8 pubmed publisher..Continued research is particularly needed to consider best approaches for dissemination and implementation of function focused care and to test function focused care in acute care settings. ..
- Powell R, Davidson D, Divers J, Manichaikul A, Carr J, Detrano R, et al. Genetic ancestry and the relationship of cigarette smoking to lung function and per cent emphysema in four race/ethnic groups: a cross-sectional study. Thorax. 2013;68:634-642 pubmed publisher..In this large cohort, there was little to no evidence that the associations of smoking to lung function and per cent emphysema differed by genetic ancestry or self-reported race/ethnicity. ..
- Finkelstein J, Bedra M. Is Internet search better than structured instruction for web-based health education?. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2013;190:65-7 pubmed..6%) as opposed to Internet users (2%). Additionally, patients using the CO-ED program rated their learning experience more positively than those using the Internet. ..
- Loll D, Berthe S, Faye S, Wone I, Koenker H, Arnold B, et al. User-determined end of net life in Senegal: a qualitative assessment of decision-making related to the retirement of expired nets. Malar J. 2013;12:337 pubmed publisher..The results from this study and from future research on this topic should be used to understand current behaviours and develop communication programmes to prolong the useful life of nets. ..
- Thompson E, Taube J, Elwood H, Sharma R, Meeker A, Warzecha H, et al. The immune microenvironment of breast ductal carcinoma in situ. Mod Pathol. 2016;29:249-58 pubmed publisher..01). Further characterization of the DCIS immune microenvironment may identify useful targets for immune-based therapy and breast cancer prevention. ..
- Mez J, Mukherjee S, Thornton T, Fardo D, Trittschuh E, Sutti S, et al. The executive prominent/memory prominent spectrum in Alzheimer's disease is highly heritable. Neurobiol Aging. 2016;41:115-121 pubmed publisher..The chromosomal pattern of heritability differed substantially from that of LOAD itself. ..
- Falade Nwulia O, Sutcliffe C, Moon J, Chander G, Wansom T, Keruly J, et al. High hepatitis C cure rates among black and nonblack human immunodeficiency virus-infected adults in an urban center. Hepatology. 2017;66:1402-1412 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that race and psychosocial comorbidity may not be barriers to HCV elimination. (Hepatology 2017;66:1402-1412). ..
- Petzold A, Balcer L, Calabresi P, Costello F, Frohman T, Frohman E, et al. Retinal layer segmentation in multiple sclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Neurol. 2017;16:797-812 pubmed publisher..Inflammatory disease activity might be captured by the INL. Because of the consistency, robustness, and large effect size, we recommend inclusion of the peripapillary RNFL and macular GCIPL for diagnosis, monitoring, and research. None. ..
- Fassas A, Bolaños Meade J, Buddharaju L, Rapoport A, Cottler Fox M, Chen T, et al. Cytomegalovirus infection and non-neutropenic fever after autologous stem cell transplantation: high rates of reactivation in patients with multiple myeloma and lymphoma. Br J Haematol. 2001;112:237-41 pubmed
- Ghidella S, Segalman K, Murphey M. Long-term results of surgical management of proximal interphalangeal joint contracture. J Hand Surg Am. 2002;27:799-805 pubmed..The best surgical candidate is a patient younger than 28 years with a less severe diagnosis and who has preoperative maximum flexion measurement < 43 degrees...
- Bressler N, Bressler S, Childs A, Haller J, Hawkins B, Lewis H, et al. Surgery for hemorrhagic choroidal neovascular lesions of age-related macular degeneration: ophthalmic findings: SST report no. 13. Ophthalmology. 2004;111:1993-2006 pubmed..This article contains additional online-only material available at http://www.ophsource.com/periodicals/ophtha. ..
- Karp J, King K. International variation in volunteer whole blood donor eligibility criteria. Transfusion. 2010;50:507-13 pubmed publisher..The reasons underlying these dissimilarities are unclear, but may include varying cultural influences and average donor body habitus. ..
- Gurbel P, Bliden K, Antonino M, Stephens G, Gretler D, Jurek M, et al. The effect of elinogrel on high platelet reactivity during dual antiplatelet therapy and the relation to CYP2C19*2 genotype: first experience in patients. J Thromb Haemost. 2010;8:43-53 pubmed publisher..16%, P = 0.0004). HPR is reversibly overcome by a single 60-mg oral dose of elinogrel, a drug now being investigated in a phase 2 trial. CYP2C19*2 was associated with HPR during conventional dual antiplatelet therapy. ..
- Beydoun M, Boueiz A, Abougergi M, Kitner Triolo M, Beydoun H, Resnick S, et al. Sex differences in the association of the apolipoprotein E epsilon 4 allele with incidence of dementia, cognitive impairment, and decline. Neurobiol Aging. 2012;33:720-731.e4 pubmed publisher..While ApoE4(+) status appears to be a sex neutral risk factor for dementia, its association with verbal memory and learning decline and impairment was stronger among women. ..
- Sojkova J, Driscoll I, Iacono D, Zhou Y, Codispoti K, Kraut M, et al. In vivo fibrillar beta-amyloid detected using [11C]PiB positron emission tomography and neuropathologic assessment in older adults. Arch Neurol. 2011;68:232-40 pubmed publisher..Direct quantification of regional AÎ² in relation to in vivo imaging is necessary to further enhance our understanding of the imaging-pathologic assessment correlation. ..
- Bolaños Meade J, Karp J, Guo C, Sarkodee Adoo C, Rapoport A, Tidwell M, et al. Timed sequential therapy of acute myelogenous leukemia in adults: a phase II study of retinoids in combination with the sequential administration of cytosine arabinoside, idarubicin and etoposide. Leuk Res. 2003;27:313-21 pubmed..However, patients of age equal to 60 years and those with poor-risk disease features still have poor CR and DFS, despite the addition of ATRA. ..
- Childs A, Bressler N, Bass E, Hawkins B, Mangione C, Marsh M, et al. Surgery for hemorrhagic choroidal neovascular lesions of age-related macular degeneration: quality-of-life findings: SST report no. 14. Ophthalmology. 2004;111:2007-14 pubmed..This article contains additional online-only material available at www.ophsource.com/periodicals/ophtha. ..
- Arking D, Atzmon G, Arking A, Barzilai N, Dietz H. Association between a functional variant of the KLOTHO gene and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, blood pressure, stroke, and longevity. Circ Res. 2005;96:412-8 pubmed..Thus, cross-sectional and prospective studies confirm a genetic model in which the KL-VS allele confers a heterozygous advantage in conjunction with a marked homozygous disadvantage for HDL-C levels, SBP, stroke, and longevity. ..
- Leung S, Ashar B, Miller R. Bisphosphonate-associated scleritis: a case report and review. South Med J. 2005;98:733-5 pubmed..Rarely, they have been linked with ocular inflammation. This case report reviews the literature on the ocular effects of bisphosphonates and discusses a possible mechanism for the association...
- Sutcliffe S, Giovannucci E, Alderete J, Chang T, Gaydos C, Zenilman J, et al. Plasma antibodies against Trichomonas vaginalis and subsequent risk of prostate cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006;15:939-45 pubmed..As this study is the first, to our knowledge, to investigate associations between T. vaginalis serology and prostate cancer, additional studies are necessary before conclusions can be made. ..
- Wilson R, Williams M. Evidence that congenital hydrocephalus is a precursor to idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus in only a subset of patients. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2007;78:508-11 pubmed..The mechanism that leads to the development of INPH in most patients remains elusive. ..
- Torres M, Moayedi S. Evaluation of the acutely dyspneic elderly patient. Clin Geriatr Med. 2007;23:307-25, vi pubmed..This article focuses on the rapid assessment and approach to the acutely dyspneic elderly patient. ..
- Mont M, Seyler T, Ulrich S, Beaule P, Boyd H, Grecula M, et al. Effect of changing indications and techniques on total hip resurfacing. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007;465:63-70 pubmed..The data suggest patients should be carefully selected and technique optimized to reduce complications. Long-term followup is required to see if these promising results will be maintained. ..
- Mittoo S, Wigley F, Wise R, Xiao H, Hummers L. Persistence of abnormal bronchoalveolar lavage findings after cyclophosphamide treatment in scleroderma patients with interstitial lung disease. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56:4195-202 pubmed..70 and P = 0.62, respectively). Persistently abnormal results on BAL fluid analysis following CYC treatment is a common finding and does not predict a subsequent decline in lung function. ..
- Bressler S, Munoz B, Solomon S, West S. Racial differences in the prevalence of age-related macular degeneration: the Salisbury Eye Evaluation (SEE) Project. Arch Ophthalmol. 2008;126:241-5 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that black individuals may have a mechanism for protection in the central zone against these critical fundus features, which themselves convey high risk of progression to advanced AMD. ..
- Kim M, Lebron C, Nagpal J, Chae Y, Chang X, Huang Y, et al. Methylation of the DFNA5 increases risk of lymph node metastasis in human breast cancer. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;370:38-43 pubmed publisher..3%, 2/13). Moreover, methylation status of DFNA5 was correlated with lymph node metastasis in breast cancer patients. Our data implicate DFNA5 promoter methylation as a novel molecular biomarker in human breast cancer. ..
- Semba R, Fink J, Sun K, Bandinelli S, Guralnik J, Ferrucci L. Carboxymethyl-lysine, an advanced glycation end product, and decline of renal function in older community-dwelling adults. Eur J Nutr. 2009;48:38-44 pubmed publisher..Plasma CML is independently associated with CKD and is an independent predictor of decline in renal function in older community-dwelling adults. ..
- Crawford K, Li C, Keung A, Su Z, Hughes M, Greaves W, et al. Pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic modeling of the antiretroviral activity of the CCR5 antagonist Vicriviroc in treatment experienced HIV-infected subjects (ACTG protocol 5211). J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2010;53:598-605 pubmed publisher..This correlation did not persist beyond week 16, probably because treatment response at that point also depended on having other active drugs in the regimen. ..
- Zimmerman R, Mohamed A, Skolasky R, Robinson M, Kebaish K. Functional outcomes and complications after primary spinal surgery for scoliosis in adults aged forty years or older: a prospective study with minimum two-year follow-up. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010;35:1861-6 pubmed publisher..041). There were no significant differences in outcomes related to presence of complications or operative staging. Adults ? 40 years with symptomatic scoliosis benefit from surgical treatment, despite the high complication rate. ..
- Lamm B, Gottlieb H, Paley D. A two-stage percutaneous approach to charcot diabetic foot reconstruction. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2010;49:517-22 pubmed publisher..Gradual Charcot foot correction with the Taylor spatial frame plus minimally invasive arthrodesis is an effective treatment. ..
- Blom R, Samuels J, Riddle M, Joseph Bienvenu O, Grados M, Reti I, et al. Association between a serotonin transporter promoter polymorphism (5HTTLPR) and personality disorder traits in a community sample. J Psychiatr Res. 2011;45:1153-9 pubmed publisher..Concerning the unusual sexual dimorphic result with OCPD, several hypotheses are presented. These findings need further replication, including a more detailed study of additional variants in SERT. ..
- Carter H. American Urological Association (AUA) guideline on prostate cancer detection: process and rationale. BJU Int. 2013;112:543-7 pubmed publisher..A panel under the auspices of the AUA recommended shared decision-making for the average risk asymptomatic man aged 55-69 years considering PSA-based screening for prostate cancer detection. ..
- Blackham A, Swords D, Levine E, Fino N, Squires M, Poultsides G, et al. Is Linitis Plastica a Contraindication for Surgical Resection: A Multi-Institution Study of the U.S. Gastric Cancer Collaborative. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016;23:1203-11 pubmed publisher..69). Future staging systems and treatment guidelines should differentiate between LP and non-LP gastric cancers. Long-term survival in select LP patients who undergo optimal resections is comparable to optimally resected non-LP patients. ..
- Francel T, Dufresne C, Baumgartner W, O Kelley J. Anatomic and clinical considerations of an internal mammary artery harvest. Arch Surg. 1992;127:1107-11 pubmed..If the bifurcation is harvested, we believe that the removal of the avascular xiphoid cartilage at the time of the initial bypass procedure may eliminate this as a potential septic focus...
- Mobley H, Warren J. Urease-positive bacteriuria and obstruction of long-term urinary catheters. J Clin Microbiol. 1987;25:2216-7 pubmed..P. mirabilis, but not other urease-positive species, was significantly associated with the 67 obstructions observed in 23 patients. M. morganii had a more complex association and in some way may protect the catheter from obstruction. ..
- Koropeckyj Cox T. Loneliness and depression in middle and old age: are the childless more vulnerable?. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 1998;53:S303-12 pubmed..However, marital status represents an important context within which to understand and evaluate the experience of parental status. ..
- Dhir K, Sciubba J, Tufano R. Ameloblastic carcinoma of the maxilla. Oral Oncol. 2003;39:736-41 pubmed..We discuss the presentation, pathology, and treatment of the 18th case of a maxillary ameloblastic carcinoma in the literature...
- Katz J, Feldman M, Bass E, Lubomski L, Tielsch J, Petty B, et al. Risks and benefits of anticoagulant and antiplatelet medication use before cataract surgery. Ophthalmology. 2003;110:1784-8 pubmed..The risks of medical and ophthalmic events surrounding cataract surgery were so low that absolute differences in risk associated with changes in routine anticoagulant or antiplatelet use were minimal. ..
- Dardik A, Eisele D, Williams G, Perler B. A contemporary assessment of carotid body tumor surgery. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2002;36:277-83 pubmed..Nevertheless, carotid body tumor surgery appears to be relatively free of mortality and major morbidity in contemporary practice...
- Jeronimo C, Henrique R, Hoque M, Mambo E, Ribeiro F, Varzim G, et al. A quantitative promoter methylation profile of prostate cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2004;10:8472-8 pubmed..Because methylation levels of GSTP1, APC, and RASSF1A are associated with advanced grade and stage, QMSP might augment the pathologic indicators currently used to predict tumor aggressiveness. ..
- Roseborough G, Murphy K, Barker P, Sussman M. Correction of symptomatic cerebral malperfusion due to acute type I aortic dissection by transcarotid stenting of the innominate and carotid arteries. J Vasc Surg. 2006;44:1091-6 pubmed..Acute proximal aortic dissection may be complicated by stroke due to malperfusion of the arch vessels. We report a novel case of successful endovascular treatment of acute cerebral malperfusion due to a dissection involving the aortic arch...
- Gurbel P, Kreutz R, Bliden K, DiChiara J, Tantry U. Biomarker analysis by fluorokine multianalyte profiling distinguishes patients requiring intervention from patients with long-term quiescent coronary artery disease: a potential approach to identify atherosclerotic disease progression. Am Heart J. 2008;155:56-61 pubmed..The early implementation of a biomarker analysis may identify the patient at risk for plaque progression and refine the definition of "stable" angina. ..
- Kottgen A, Hwang S, Rampersaud E, Coresh J, North K, Pankow J, et al. TCF7L2 variants associate with CKD progression and renal function in population-based cohorts. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008;19:1989-99 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, several population-based samples suggest that variants in the TCF7L2 gene are associated with reduced kidney function or CKD progression, overall and specifically among participants without diabetes. ..
- Semba R, Houston D, Bandinelli S, Sun K, Cherubini A, Cappola A, et al. Relationship of 25-hydroxyvitamin D with all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality in older community-dwelling adults. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2010;64:203-9 pubmed publisher..Older community-dwelling adults with low serum 25(OH)D levels are at higher risk of all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality. ..
- Pull ter Gunne A, Mohamed A, Skolasky R, van Laarhoven C, Cohen D. The presentation, incidence, etiology, and treatment of surgical site infections after spinal surgery. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010;35:1323-8 pubmed publisher..8 vs. 19.6 days). Deep SSI following spinal surgery was effectively treated with single stage debridement and intravenous antibiotics. Superficial SSI could be treated effectively with local wound care and oral antibiotic therapy. ..
- Aichelmann Reidy M, Wrigley D, Gunsolley J. HIV infection and bone loss due to periodontal disease. J Periodontol. 2010;81:877-84 pubmed publisher..Individuals in this study population with risk behaviors associated with HIV infection smoked at a high rate and, because of the smoking behavior, have a high rate of periodontal disease. ..
- Sutin A, Scuteri A, Lakatta E, Tarasov K, Ferrucci L, Costa P, et al. Trait antagonism and the progression of arterial thickening: women with antagonistic traits have similar carotid arterial thickness as men. Hypertension. 2010;56:617-22 pubmed publisher..Antagonistic individuals, especially those who are manipulative and aggressive, have greater increases in arterial thickening, independent of traditional cardiovascular risk factors. ..
- Hammond E, Wang Z, Bhulani N, McArthur J, Levy M. Needle type and the risk of post-lumbar puncture headache in the outpatient neurology clinic. J Neurol Sci. 2011;306:24-8 pubmed publisher..99, 95% CI 1.32-12.0). Our outpatient findings support the American Academy of Neurology recommendations to use smaller non-traumatic needles to reduce the risk of PLPH. ..
- Mack J, Rabins P, Anderson K, Goldstein S, Grill S, Hirsch E, et al. Prevalence of psychotic symptoms in a community-based Parkinson disease sample. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2012;20:123-32 pubmed publisher..Longitudinal studies are needed to determine whether minor psychotic symptoms represent a precursor to hallucinations and delusions, and to further validate diagnostic criteria. ..
- Paller C, Ye X, Wozniak P, Gillespie B, Sieber P, Greengold R, et al. A randomized phase II study of pomegranate extract for men with rising PSA following initial therapy for localized prostate cancer. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2013;16:50-5 pubmed publisher..The significance of this on-study slowing of PSADT remains unclear, reinforcing the need for placebo-controlled studies in this patient population. ..
- Putcha N, Puhan M, Hansel N, Drummond M, Boyd C. Impact of co-morbidities on self-rated health in self-reported COPD: an analysis of NHANES 2001-2008. COPD. 2013;10:324-32 pubmed publisher..CHF, arthritis, diabetes and incontinence/prostate disease have the most impact on self-rated health. Targeting these co-morbidities in COPD may result in improved self-rated health. ..
- Mehta R, Ivanova S, Tosun C, Castellani R, Gerzanich V, Simard J. Sulfonylurea receptor 1 expression in human cerebral infarcts. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2013;72:871-83 pubmed publisher..In conjunction with previous studies, these data suggest that Sur1 may be a promising treatment target in patients with acute cerebral infarction. ..