Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on micrornas in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Locale: New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
- Pacifici M, Delbue S, Ferrante P, Jeansonne D, Kadri F, Nelson S, et al. Cerebrospinal fluid miRNA profile in HIV-encephalitis. J Cell Physiol. 2013;228:1070-5 pubmed publisher..Although more clinical samples should be examined, this work represents the first report of CSF miRNAs in HIV-infection and offers the basis for future investigation. ..
- Lukiw W, Alexandrov P, Zhao Y, Hill J, Bhattacharjee S. Spreading of Alzheimer's disease inflammatory signaling through soluble micro-RNA. Neuroreport. 2012;23:621-6 pubmed publisher..These effects were neutralized using anti-miRNA strategies. Anti-miRNA-based therapeutics may provide a novel and efficacious treatment to stem the miRNA-mediated spreading of inflammatory signaling involved in Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Nguyen H, Li C, Lin Z, Zhuang Y, Flemington E, Burow M, et al. The microRNA expression associated with morphogenesis of breast cancer cells in three-dimensional organotypic culture. Oncol Rep. 2012;28:117-126 pubmed publisher..In summary, we provide the first miRNA signatures of morphogenesis of human breast cancer cells in rBM 3-D culture and warrant further utilization of rBM 3-D culture in investigation of miRNAs in breast cancer. ..
- Creech C, Neumann D. Changes to euchromatin on LAT and ICP4 following reactivation are more prevalent in an efficiently reactivating strain of HSV-1. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15416 pubmed publisher..Our results implicate that chromatin remodeling is an early and essential step involved in the process of in vivo HSV-1 reactivation. ..
- Zhang W, Edwards A, Fan W, Flemington E, Zhang K. miRNA-mRNA correlation-network modules in human prostate cancer and the differences between primary and metastatic tumor subtypes. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40130 pubmed publisher..These computationally identified modules provide remarkable biological evidence for the interference of miRNAs in the development of prostate cancers and warrant additional follow-up in independent laboratory studies. ..
- Jin L, Wessely O, Marcusson E, Ivan C, Calin G, Alahari S. Prooncogenic factors miR-23b and miR-27b are regulated by Her2/Neu, EGF, and TNF-? in breast cancer. Cancer Res. 2013;73:2884-96 pubmed publisher..Because anti-miR-27b compounds that suppress miR-27b inhibit tumor growth, the anti-miR-27b seems to be a good candidate for the development of new antitumor therapies. ..
- Wang Y, Rathinam R, Walch A, Alahari S. ST14 (suppression of tumorigenicity 14) gene is a target for miR-27b, and the inhibitory effect of ST14 on cell growth is independent of miR-27b regulation. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:23094-106 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that ST14 plays an important role in several biological processes, and some effects are not completely dependent on miR-27b regulation. ..
- Simon L, Ford S, Song K, Berner P, Vande Stouwe C, Nelson S, et al. Decreased myoblast differentiation in chronic binge alcohol-administered simian immunodeficiency virus-infected male macaques: role of decreased miR-206. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2017;313:R240-R250 pubmed publisher..The parallel changes in skeletal muscle and circulating levels of miR-206 warrant studies to establish the possible use of plasma miR-206 as an indicator of impaired muscle function. ..
- Yin Q, Wang X, McBride J, Fewell C, Flemington E. B-cell receptor activation induces BIC/miR-155 expression through a conserved AP-1 element. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:2654-62 pubmed..These results identify key determinants of BCR-mediated signaling that lead to the induction of BIC/miR-155. ..
- Clement C, Bhattacharjee P, Kumar M, Foster T, Thompson H, Hill J. Upregulation of mouse genes in HSV-1 latent TG after butyrate treatment implicates the multiple roles of the LAT-ICP0 locus. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:1770-9 pubmed publisher..CONCLUSIONS NaBu-induced reactivation of HSV-1 is twofold: drug action involving significant moderation of specific host epigenetic changes and failure to elicit or suppress immune activity at the early time point of 1 hour. ..
- Lin Z, Wang X, Fewell C, Cameron J, Yin Q, Flemington E. Differential expression of the miR-200 family microRNAs in epithelial and B cells and regulation of Epstein-Barr virus reactivation by the miR-200 family member miR-429. J Virol. 2010;84:7892-7 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the miR-200 family member miR-429 shows elevated expression in plasma cell lines and is induced by B-cell-receptor activation in Akata cells. Lastly, expression of miR-429 can break latency. ..
- Senst C, Nazari Shafti T, Kruger S, Höner Zu Bentrup K, Dupin C, Chaffin A, et al. Prospective dual role of mesenchymal stem cells in breast tumor microenvironment. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2013;137:69-79 pubmed publisher..Characterization of the molecular mechanisms involved in the interplay between B-ASCs and breast TM will help in understanding the probable role of B-ASCs in breast cancer development, and could pave way for anticancer therapies. ..
- Zhao Y, Bhattacharjee S, Jones B, Dua P, Alexandrov P, Hill J, et al. Regulation of TREM2 expression by an NF-?B-sensitive miRNA-34a. Neuroreport. 2013;24:318-23 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that an epigenetic mechanism involving an NF-?B-mediated, miRNA-34a-regulated downregulation of TREM2 expression may shape innate immune and phagocytic responses that contribute to inflammatory neurodegeneration. ..
- Liao J, Zhang Y, Liao W, Zeng S, Su X, Flores E, et al. I?B kinase ? (IKK?) inhibits p63 isoform ? (TAp63?) transcriptional activity. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:18184-93 pubmed publisher..As expected, IKK? fails to suppress the transcriptional activity of the S4A/S12A double mutant p63. These results indicate that IKK? can suppress TAp63? activity by interfering with the interaction between TAp63? and p300. ..
- Coleman C, Lightell D, Moss S, Bates M, Parrino P, Woods T. Elevation of miR-221 and -222 in the internal mammary arteries of diabetic subjects and normalization with metformin. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2013;374:125-9 pubmed publisher..Further studies into the importance of miR-221/222 in the increased intimal thickening observed in diabetic subjects is warranted...
- Tilghman S, Bratton M, Segar H, Martin E, Rhodes L, Li M, et al. Endocrine disruptor regulation of microRNA expression in breast carcinoma cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32754 pubmed publisher..A better understanding of the molecular mechanisms of these compounds could provide important insight into the role of EDCs in human disease, including breast cancer. ..
- Zhou X, Hao Q, Liao J, Liao P, Lu H. Ribosomal protein S14 negatively regulates c-Myc activity. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:21793-801 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study demonstrates that RPS14 negates c-Myc functions by directly inhibiting its transcriptional activity and mediating its mRNA degradation via miRNA. ..
- Lukiw W, Alexandrov P. Regulation of complement factor H (CFH) by multiple miRNAs in Alzheimer's disease (AD) brain. Mol Neurobiol. 2012;46:11-9 pubmed
- Rhodes L, Bratton M, Zhu Y, Tilghman S, Muir S, Salvo V, et al. Effects of SDF-1-CXCR4 signaling on microRNA expression and tumorigenesis in estrogen receptor-alpha (ER-?)-positive breast cancer cells. Exp Cell Res. 2011;317:2573-81 pubmed publisher..These findings represent future potential therapeutic targets for the treatment of hormone-independent and endocrine-resistant breast cancer. ..
- Oskowitz A, Lu J, Penfornis P, Ylostalo J, McBride J, Flemington E, et al. Human multipotent stromal cells from bone marrow and microRNA: regulation of differentiation and leukemia inhibitory factor expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:18372-7 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate that differentiation of hMSCs is regulated by miRNAs and that several of these miRNAs target LIF. ..
- Wang J, Bai Y, Li N, Ye W, Zhang M, Greene S, et al. Pitx2-microRNA pathway that delimits sinoatrial node development and inhibits predisposition to atrial fibrillation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:9181-6 pubmed publisher..Together, to our knowledge, these findings provide the first genetic evidence for an miR loss-of-function that increases atrial fibrillation susceptibility. ..
- Shenouda S, Alahari S. MicroRNA function in cancer: oncogene or a tumor suppressor?. Cancer Metastasis Rev. 2009;28:369-78 pubmed publisher..Similarly, miRNAs can down-regulate different proteins with oncogenic activity; i.e., they act as tumor suppressors. This review will highlight the recent discoveries regarding miRNAs and their importance in cancer. ..
- Bao L, Hazari S, Mehra S, Kaushal D, Moroz K, Dash S. Increased expression of P-glycoprotein and doxorubicin chemoresistance of metastatic breast cancer is regulated by miR-298. Am J Pathol. 2012;180:2490-503 pubmed publisher..Therefore, miR-298 has diagnostic and therapeutic potential for predicting doxorubicin chemoresistance in human breast cancer. ..
- Li Y, Cui J, Hill J, Bhattacharjee S, Zhao Y, Lukiw W. Increased expression of miRNA-146a in Alzheimer's disease transgenic mouse models. Neurosci Lett. 2011;487:94-8 pubmed publisher..Expression of miRNA-146a correlated with senile plaque density and synaptic pathology in Tg2576 and in 5xFAD transgenic mouse models used in the study of this common neurodegenerative disorder. ..
- Liao J, Zhou X, Zhang Y, Lu H. MiR-1246: a new link of the p53 family with cancer and Down syndrome. Cell Cycle. 2012;11:2624-30 pubmed publisher..Here, we provide some prospective views on the potential role of the p53 family in Down syndrome via miR-1246 and propose a new p53-miR-1246-DYRK1A-NFAT pathway in cancer. ..
- Martin E, Bratton M, Zhu Y, Rhodes L, Tilghman S, Collins Burow B, et al. Insulin-like growth factor-1 signaling regulates miRNA expression in MCF-7 breast cancer cell line. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49067 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data give new insights into mechanisms governing IGF-1 signaling in breast cancer. ..
- Agrawal R, Tran U, Wessely O. The miR-30 miRNA family regulates Xenopus pronephros development and targets the transcription factor Xlim1/Lhx1. Development. 2009;136:3927-36 pubmed publisher..However, in the absence of miR-30 activity, Xlim1/Lhx1 is maintained at high levels and, therefore, may contribute to the delayed terminal differentiation of the amphibian pronephros. ..
- Baranwal S, Alahari S. miRNA control of tumor cell invasion and metastasis. Int J Cancer. 2010;126:1283-90 pubmed publisher..In this review, we briefly describe the role of various miRNAs in invasion, migration and metastasis which are essential steps during cancer progression. ..
- Tran U, Zakin L, Schweickert A, Agrawal R, D ger R, Blum M, et al. The RNA-binding protein bicaudal C regulates polycystin 2 in the kidney by antagonizing miR-17 activity. Development. 2010;137:1107-16 pubmed publisher..Based on these data, we propose that the kidney phenotype in Bicc1(-/-) mutant mice is caused by dysregulation of a microRNA-based translational control mechanism...
- Cameron J, Yin Q, Fewell C, Lacey M, McBride J, Wang X, et al. Epstein-Barr virus latent membrane protein 1 induces cellular MicroRNA miR-146a, a modulator of lymphocyte signaling pathways. J Virol. 2008;82:1946-58 pubmed
- Pogue A, Cui J, Li Y, Zhao Y, Culicchia F, Lukiw W. Micro RNA-125b (miRNA-125b) function in astrogliosis and glial cell proliferation. Neurosci Lett. 2010;476:18-22 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that miRNA-125b up-regulation contributes to astrogliosis and to defects in the cell cycle that are characteristic of degenerating brain tissues. ..
- Cui J, Li Y, Zhao Y, Bhattacharjee S, Lukiw W. Differential regulation of interleukin-1 receptor-associated kinase-1 (IRAK-1) and IRAK-2 by microRNA-146a and NF-kappaB in stressed human astroglial cells and in Alzheimer disease. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:38951-60 pubmed publisher..The combinatorial use of NF-?B inhibitors with miRNA-146a or antisense miRNA-146a may have potential as a bi-pronged therapeutic strategy directed against IRAK-2-driven pathogenic signaling. ..
- Schober A, Nazari Jahantigh M, Wei Y, Bidzhekov K, Gremse F, Grommes J, et al. MicroRNA-126-5p promotes endothelial proliferation and limits atherosclerosis by suppressing Dlk1. Nat Med. 2014;20:368-76 pubmed publisher..Administration of miR-126-5p rescued EC proliferation at predilection sites and limited atherosclerosis, introducing a potential therapeutic approach...
- Zhang J, Han C, Zhu H, Song K, Wu T. miR-101 inhibits cholangiocarcinoma angiogenesis through targeting vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF). Am J Pathol. 2013;182:1629-39 pubmed publisher..This study established a novel tumor-suppressor role of miR-101 in cholangiocarcinoma and it suggests the possibility of targeting miR-101 and related signaling pathways for future therapy. ..
- Oskowitz A, Penfornis P, Tucker A, Prockop D, Pochampally R. Drosha regulates hMSCs cell cycle progression through a miRNA independent mechanism. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2011;43:1563-72 pubmed publisher..45S pre-rRNA transcripts were not significantly different in either knockdown model. The above results indicate that Drosha modifies hMSCs proliferation through a miRNA independent mechanism, potentially by regulating rRNA processing. ..
- Yin Q, Wang X, Fewell C, Cameron J, Zhu H, Baddoo M, et al. MicroRNA miR-155 inhibits bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) signaling and BMP-mediated Epstein-Barr virus reactivation. J Virol. 2010;84:6318-27 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a role for miR-155 in controlling BMP-mediated cellular processes, in regulating BMP-induced EBV reactivation, and in the inhibition of antitumor effects of BMP signaling in normal and virus-infected cells. ..
- Yang Y, Jia D, Kim H, Abd Elmageed Z, Datta A, Davis R, et al. Dysregulation of miR-212 Promotes Castration Resistance through hnRNPH1-Mediated Regulation of AR and AR-V7: Implications for Racial Disparity of Prostate Cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:1744-56 pubmed publisher..Targeted disruption of the hnRNPH1-AR axis may have therapeutic implications to improve clinical outcomes in patients with advanced prostate cancer, especially among AA men. ..
- Kwon H, Song K, Han C, Zhang J, Lu L, Chen W, et al. Epigenetic Silencing of miRNA-34a in Human Cholangiocarcinoma via EZH2 and DNA Methylation: Impact on Regulation of Notch Pathway. Am J Pathol. 2017;187:2288-2299 pubmed publisher..Consequently, these signaling cascades may represent potential therapeutic targets for effective treatment of human CCA. ..