Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on aspergillus flavus in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Locale: New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Topic: aspergillus flavus
- Chang P, Wilkinson J, Horn B, Yu J, Bhatnagar D, Cleveland T. Genes differentially expressed by Aspergillus flavus strains after loss of aflatoxin production by serial transfers. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2007;77:917-25 pubmed..Possible roles of hcc and other identified genes are discussed in relation to regulation of aflatoxin biosynthesis. ..
- Yu J, Ronning C, Wilkinson J, Campbell B, Payne G, Bhatnagar D, et al. Gene profiling for studying the mechanism of aflatoxin biosynthesis in Aspergillus flavus and A. parasiticus. Food Addit Contam. 2007;24:1035-42 pubmed..flavus and A. parasiticus. Genes consistently expressed in several aflatoxin-supportive media are reported. ..
- Zhuang Z, Lohmar J, Satterlee T, Cary J, Calvo A. The Master Transcription Factor mtfA Governs Aflatoxin Production, Morphological Development and Pathogenicity in the Fungus Aspergillus flavus. Toxins (Basel). 2016;8: pubmed publisher..Interestingly, a more rapid colonization of the seed tissue occurred when mtfA was overexpressed, coinciding with an increase in lipase activity and faster maceration of the oily part of the seed. ..
- Bhatnagar D, Cary J, Ehrlich K, Yu J, Cleveland T. Understanding the genetics of regulation of aflatoxin production and Aspergillus flavus development. Mycopathologia. 2006;162:155-66 pubmed..Therefore, information on how and why the fungus makes the toxin will be valuable for developing an effective and lasting strategy for control of aflatoxin contamination. ..
- Chang P, Ehrlich K, Hua S. Cladal relatedness among Aspergillus oryzae isolates and Aspergillus flavus S and L morphotype isolates. Int J Food Microbiol. 2006;108:172-7 pubmed..flavus isolates. Our results show that A. flavus populations are genetically diverse. A. oryzae isolates may descend from certain atoxigenic L-type A. flavus isolates. ..
- Ehrlich K, Yu J, Cotty P. Aflatoxin biosynthesis gene clusters and flanking regions. J Appl Microbiol. 2005;99:518-27 pubmed..Such a comparison will aid in understanding how AF biosynthesis is regulated in experimental and natural environments. ..
- Ehrlich K, Montalbano B, Cotty P. Divergent regulation of aflatoxin production at acidic pH by two Aspergillus strains. Mycopathologia. 2005;159:579-81 pubmed..The lower AF production was not well correlated with decreases in expression of the aflatoxin pathway regulatory gene, aflR, or of two other biosynthesis genes. ..
- Gembeh S, Brown R, Grimm C, Cleveland T. Identification of chemical components of corn kernel pericarp wax associated with resistance to Aspergillus flavus infection and aflatoxin production. J Agric Food Chem. 2001;49:4635-41 pubmed..flavus. These and other phenolic compounds may contribute to kernel wax inhibition of A. flavus infection/aflatoxin production. Further investigation is needed to confirm a role for them in GT-MAS:gk resistance. ..
- Chang P, Scharfenstein L, Wei Q, Bhatnagar D. Development and refinement of a high-efficiency gene-targeting system for Aspergillus flavus. J Microbiol Methods. 2010;81:240-6 pubmed publisher..The improvement allowed gene manipulation using the reusable pyrG marker as shown by the restoration of laeA-mediated aflatoxin production in an A. flavus laeA-deleted mutant. ..
- Cary J, Harris Coward P, Ehrlich K, Mack B, Kale S, Larey C, et al. NsdC and NsdD affect Aspergillus flavus morphogenesis and aflatoxin production. Eukaryot Cell. 2012;11:1104-11 pubmed publisher..Our results support previous studies showing that there is a strong association between conidiophore and sclerotium development and aflatoxin production in A. flavus...
- De Lucca A, Carter Wientjes C, Boue S, Bhatnagar D. Volatile?trans-2-hexenal, a soybean aldehyde, inhibits?Aspergillus flavus?growth and aflatoxin production in corn. J Food Sci. 2011;76:M381-6 pubmed publisher..Experiments were performed 3 times for each time course. Both experiments showed that intermittent pumping of volatile?trans-2-hexenal significantly (P?< 0.001) prevented?A. flavus?growth and aflatoxin B? production over a 7-d period...
- Chang P, Scharfenstein L, Ehrlich K, Wei Q, Bhatnagar D, Ingber B. Effects of laeA deletion on Aspergillus flavus conidial development and hydrophobicity may contribute to loss of aflatoxin production. Fungal Biol. 2012;116:298-307 pubmed publisher..The loss of hydrophobicity and the other developmental changes in the laeA deletion mutants could affect the ability of the fungus to produce aflatoxins...
- Medina A, Gilbert M, Mack B, OBrian G, Rodriguez A, Bhatnagar D, et al. Interactions between water activity and temperature on the Aspergillus flavus transcriptome and aflatoxin B1 production. Int J Food Microbiol. 2017;256:36-44 pubmed publisher..For CPA, all 5 biosynthetic genes were affected by aw stress, regardless of temperature. The molecular regulation of A. flavus in maize is discussed. ..
- Yu J, Fedorova N, Montalbano B, Bhatnagar D, Cleveland T, Bennett J, et al. Tight control of mycotoxin biosynthesis gene expression in Aspergillus flavus by temperature as revealed by RNA-Seq. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2011;322:145-9 pubmed publisher..Subtle changes in the expression levels of aflS to aflR appear to control transcription activation of the aflatoxin cluster...
- Mellon J, Zelaya C, Dowd M. Inhibitory effects of gossypol-related compounds on growth of Aspergillus flavus. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2011;52:406-12 pubmed publisher..The objective of this study was to test a series of gossypol-related compounds for growth inhibition against Aspergillus flavus...
- Rajasekaran K, Cary J, Cotty P, Cleveland T. Development of a GFP-expressing Aspergillus flavus strain to study fungal invasion, colonization, and resistance in cottonseed. Mycopathologia. 2008;165:89-97 pubmed publisher..In addition, development of GFP expressing A. flavus strain provides an easy and rapid assay procedure for studying the ecology, etiology, and epidemiology of cotton boll rot caused by A. flavus resulting in aflatoxin contamination. ..
- Chang P, Hua S. Molasses supplementation promotes conidiation but suppresses aflatoxin production by small sclerotial Aspergillus flavus. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2007;44:131-7 pubmed..Targeting genetic parameters in S strain A. flavus isolates may reduce aflatoxin contamination of crops by reducing the survival and toxigenicity of these strains. ..
- Boue S, Carter C, Ehrlich K, Cleveland T. Induction of the soybean phytoalexins coumestrol and glyceollin by Aspergillus. J Agric Food Chem. 2000;48:2167-72 pubmed..sojae and A. oryzae allowed the collection of higher concentrations of phytoalexins for further examination in several in vitro and in vivo biological studies conducted to determine potential estrogenic activities. ..
- Cary J, Rajasekaran K, Brown R, Luo M, Chen Z, Bhatnagar D. Developing resistance to aflatoxin in maize and cottonseed. Toxins (Basel). 2011;3:678-96 pubmed publisher..This review will present information on preharvest control strategies that utilize both breeding and native resistance identification approaches in maize as well as transgenic approaches in cotton...
- Chang P, Scharfenstein L, Luo M, Mahoney N, Molyneux R, Yu J, et al. Loss of msnA, a putative stress regulatory gene, in Aspergillus parasiticus and Aspergillus flavus increased production of conidia, aflatoxins and kojic acid. Toxins (Basel). 2011;3:82-104 pubmed publisher..flavus. The msnA gene appears to be required for the maintenance of the normal oxidative state. The impairment of msnA resulted in the aforementioned changes, which might be used to combat the increased oxidative stress in the cells. ..
- Chang P, Ehrlich K. What does genetic diversity of Aspergillus flavus tell us about Aspergillus oryzae?. Int J Food Microbiol. 2010;138:189-99 pubmed publisher..flavus and A. oryzae genomes, the genetic diversity in A. flavus and A. oryzae populations, the causes of this diversity, and the relatedness of nonaflatoxigenic A. flavus strains to A. oryzae...
- Cary J, Ehrlich K, Beltz S, Harris Coward P, Klich M. Characterization of the Aspergillus ochraceoroseus aflatoxin/sterigmatocystin biosynthetic gene cluster. Mycologia. 2009;101:352-62 pubmed..ochraceoroseus aflR restored ST production in A. nidulans transformants. PCR amplification of A. rambellii genomic DNA demonstrated that the AF/ST gene cluster is organized in the same manner as that of A. ochraceoroseus...
- Kale S, Milde L, Trapp M, Frisvad J, Keller N, Bok J. Requirement of LaeA for secondary metabolism and sclerotial production in Aspergillus flavus. Fungal Genet Biol. 2008;45:1422-9 pubmed publisher..Transcriptional examination of the mutants showed LaeA negatively regulates expression of its recently identified nuclear partner VeA, another global regulator of A. flavus secondary metabolites and sclerotia...
- Ehrlich K, Chang P, Scharfenstein L, Cary J, Crawford J, Townsend C. Absence of the aflatoxin biosynthesis gene, norA, allows accumulation of deoxyaflatoxin B1 in Aspergillus flavus cultures. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2010;305:65-70 pubmed publisher..flavus. ..
- Chang P, Horn B, Dorner J. Clustered genes involved in cyclopiazonic acid production are next to the aflatoxin biosynthesis gene cluster in Aspergillus flavus. Fungal Genet Biol. 2009;46:176-82 pubmed publisher..flavus strain. Therefore, some of the CPA biosynthesis genes are organized in a mini-gene cluster that is next to the aflatoxin gene cluster in A. flavus...