Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on zebrafish proteins in Iowa City, Iowa, United States
Locale: Iowa City, Iowa, United States
Topic: zebrafish proteins
- McNeill M, Paulsen J, Bonde G, Burnight E, Hsu M, Cornell R. Cell death of melanophores in zebrafish trpm7 mutant embryos depends on melanin synthesis. J Invest Dermatol. 2007;127:2020-30 pubmed..We find that unlike TRPM1, TRPM7 is expressed in human melanoma cell lines, indicating that these cells may also be sensitized to reduction of TRPM7 levels...
- Westfall T, Hjertos B, Slusarski D. Requirement for intracellular calcium modulation in zebrafish dorsal-ventral patterning. Dev Biol. 2003;259:380-91 pubmed..These results provide evidence that modulation of calcium release is critical for early embryonic patterning and acts by influencing the stabilization of beta-catenin protein. ..
- Gourronc F, Ahmad N, Nedza N, Eggleston T, Rebagliati M. Nodal activity around Kupffer's vesicle depends on the T-box transcription factors Notail and Spadetail and on Notch signaling. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2131-46 pubmed..This region also contains motifs for CSL/RBP-J/Su(H). Consistent with this, we find charon expression is strongly Notch-dependent whereas perinodal southpaw expression is not. ..
- Tan J, Fogley R, Flynn R, Ablain J, Yang S, Saint André V, et al. Stress from Nucleotide Depletion Activates the Transcriptional Regulator HEXIM1 to Suppress Melanoma. Mol Cell. 2016;62:34-46 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals an important role for HEXIM1 in coupling nucleotide metabolism with transcriptional regulation in melanoma. ..
- Van Otterloo E, Li W, Bonde G, Day K, Hsu M, Cornell R. Differentiation of zebrafish melanophores depends on transcription factors AP2 alpha and AP2 epsilon. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001122 pubmed publisher..This work illustrates how analysis of single-gene mutants may fail to identify steps in a GRN that are affected by the redundant activity of related proteins. ..
- Pretorius P, Aldahmesh M, Alkuraya F, Sheffield V, Slusarski D. Functional analysis of BBS3 A89V that results in non-syndromic retinal degeneration. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:1625-32 pubmed publisher..These data aid in our understanding of why patients with the BBS3 A89V missense mutation only present with isolated retinitis pigmentosa. ..
- Li W, Cornell R. Redundant activities of Tfap2a and Tfap2c are required for neural crest induction and development of other non-neural ectoderm derivatives in zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2007;304:338-54 pubmed
- Long S, Ahmad N, Rebagliati M. The zebrafish nodal-related gene southpaw is required for visceral and diencephalic left-right asymmetry. Development. 2003;130:2303-16 pubmed..These observations lead to a model of how visceral organ and brain left-right asymmetry are coordinated during embryogenesis...
- Decker A, McNeill M, Lambert A, Overton J, Chen Y, Lorca R, et al. Abnormal differentiation of dopaminergic neurons in zebrafish trpm7 mutant larvae impairs development of the motor pattern. Dev Biol. 2014;386:428-39 pubmed publisher..In summary, a forward genetic screen in zebrafish has revealed that both melanocytes and dopaminergic neurons depend on the ion channel Trpm7. The mechanistic underpinning of this dependence requires further investigation. ..
- Westfall T, Brimeyer R, Twedt J, Gladon J, Olberding A, Furutani Seiki M, et al. Wnt-5/pipetail functions in vertebrate axis formation as a negative regulator of Wnt/beta-catenin activity. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:889-98 pubmed..The Wnt-5 loss-of-function defect is consistent with Ca2+ modulation having an antagonistic interaction with Wnt/beta-catenin signaling. ..
- Baye L, Patrinostro X, Swaminathan S, Beck J, Zhang Y, Stone E, et al. The N-terminal region of centrosomal protein 290 (CEP290) restores vision in a zebrafish model of human blindness. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:1467-77 pubmed publisher..These data reveal that a specific region of the CEP290 protein is sufficient to restore visual function and this region may be a viable gene therapy target for LCA patients with mutations in CEP290. ..
- Cornell R, Yemm E, Bonde G, Li W, d Alençon C, Wegman L, et al. Touchtone promotes survival of embryonic melanophores in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2004;121:1365-76 pubmed..Thus, we have identified a zebrafish gene that when mutated produces semi-viable offspring and that may serve as a model of human diseases that have both pigmentation and neurological symptoms...
- Lin S, Baye L, Westfall T, Slusarski D. Wnt5b-Ryk pathway provides directional signals to regulate gastrulation movement. J Cell Biol. 2010;190:263-78 pubmed publisher..Using co-culture assays to generate directional Wnt5b cues, we demonstrate that Ryk-expressing cells migrate away from the Wnt5b source. We conclude that full-length Ryk conveys Wnt5b signals in a directional manner during gastrulation...
- Long S, Rebagliati M. Sensitive two-color whole-mount in situ hybridizations using digoxygenin- and dinitrophenol-labeled RNA probes. Biotechniques. 2002;32:494, 496, 498 passim pubmed
- Pretorius P, Baye L, Nishimura D, Searby C, Bugge K, Yang B, et al. Identification and functional analysis of the vision-specific BBS3 (ARL6) long isoform. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1000884 pubmed publisher..Bbs3L-null mice lack key features of previously published Bbs-null mice, including obesity. These data demonstrate that the BBS3L transcript is required for proper retinal function and organization. ..
- Sabel J, d Alençon C, O Brien E, Van Otterloo E, Lutz K, Cuykendall T, et al. Maternal Interferon Regulatory Factor 6 is required for the differentiation of primary superficial epithelia in Danio and Xenopus embryos. Dev Biol. 2009;325:249-62 pubmed publisher..These experiments reveal a conserved role for maternally-encoded Irf6 in differentiation of a simple epithelium in X. laevis and D. rerio. This epithelium constitutes a novel model tissue in which to explore the Irf6 regulatory pathway...
- Bateman M, Cornell R, d Alençon C, Sandra A. Expression of the zebrafish Staufen gene in the embryo and adult. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;5:273-8 pubmed..Maternally expressed staufen is dispersed in the mature oocyte and early embryo. In the adult, staufen is expressed in specific brain nuclei, the testis, neurons and Leydig cells. ..
- Yee N, Zhou W, Liang I. Transient receptor potential ion channel Trpm7 regulates exocrine pancreatic epithelial proliferation by Mg2+-sensitive Socs3a signaling in development and cancer. Dis Model Mech. 2011;4:240-54 pubmed publisher..Results of this study indicate that Trpm7 regulates exocrine pancreatic development via the Mg(2+)-sensitive Socs3a pathway, and suggest that aberrant TRPM7-mediated signaling contributes to pancreatic carcinogenesis. ..
- O Brien E, d Alençon C, Bonde G, Li W, Schoenebeck J, Allende M, et al. Transcription factor Ap-2alpha is necessary for development of embryonic melanophores, autonomic neurons and pharyngeal skeleton in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2004;265:246-61 pubmed..These results reveal that Ap-2alpha regulates multiple steps of melanophore development, and is required for development of other neuronal and non-neuronal neural crest derivatives...
- Hulstrand A, Houston D. Regulation of neurogenesis by Fgf8a requires Cdc42 signaling and a novel Cdc42 effector protein. Dev Biol. 2013;382:385-99 pubmed publisher..Overall, these data suggest a novel role for Cdc42 in an Fgf8a-specific signaling pathway essential for vertebrate neuronal development. ..