Experts and Doctors on socioeconomic factors in Iowa City, Iowa, United States
Locale: Iowa City, Iowa, United States
Topic: socioeconomic factors
- Wehby G, Scholder S. Genetic instrumental variable studies of effects of prenatal risk factors. Biodemography Soc Biol. 2013;59:4-36 pubmed publisher..Finally, we offer suggestions for researchers contemplating the use of these variants as instruments. ..
- Popescu I, Nallamothu B, Vaughan Sarrazin M, Cram P. Racial differences in admissions to high-quality hospitals for coronary heart disease. Arch Intern Med. 2010;170:1209-15 pubmed publisher..02-1.30 [P = .03]). Black Medicare patients with acute myocardial infarction or undergoing CABG were equally or more likely to be admitted to top-ranked hospitals, except for socially disadvantaged black patients undergoing CABG. ..
- Hockenberry J, Burgess J, Glasgow J, Vaughan Sarrazin M, Kaboli P. Cost of readmission: can the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) experience inform national payment policy?. Med Care. 2013;51:13-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate current diagnosis related group payments would need to be raised by 10.0% for AMI, 11.5% for CAP, and 16.6% for CHF if these are to become 30-day bundled payments. ..
- Damiano P, Tyler M, Romitti P, Druschel C, Austin A, Burnett W, et al. Demographic characteristics, care, and outcomes for children with oral clefts in three states using participants from the National Birth Defects Prevention Study. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2009;46:575-82 pubmed publisher..Including multiple states can be an efficient way to learn more about the outcomes of medical care for less common conditions such as oral cleft. ..
- Foraker R, Abdel Rasoul M, Kuller L, Jackson R, Van Horn L, Seguin R, et al. Cardiovascular Health and Incident Cardiovascular Disease and Cancer: The Women's Health Initiative. Am J Prev Med. 2016;50:236-40 pubmed publisher..Lower ideal CVH is more common among minority and less educated postmenopausal women and predicts increased risk of CVD and cancer in this population, emphasizing the importance of prevention efforts among vulnerable older adults. ..
- Bunde J, Suls J. A quantitative analysis of the relationship between the Cook-Medley Hostility Scale and traditional coronary artery disease risk factors. Health Psychol. 2006;25:493-500 pubmed..On the basis of available evidence, researchers might give attention to obesity, insulin resistance, damaging health behaviors, and SES as potential contributing factors in understanding the association between Ho Scale scores and CAD. ..
- Lutgendorf S, Degeest K, Dahmoush L, Farley D, Penedo F, Bender D, et al. Social isolation is associated with elevated tumor norepinephrine in ovarian carcinoma patients. Brain Behav Immun. 2011;25:250-5 pubmed publisher..As beta-adrenergic signaling is related to key biological pathways involved in tumor growth, these findings may have implications for patient outcomes in ovarian cancer. ..
- Wehby G, McCarthy A. Economic gradients in early child neurodevelopment: a multi-country study. Soc Sci Med. 2013;78:86-95 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, wealth gradients in child neurodevelopment appear to be dynamic rather than fixed and sensitive to population characteristics that modify their intensity. ..
- Baller R, Levchak P, Schultz M. "The Great Transformation" and suicide: local and long-lasting effects of 1930 bank suspensions. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2010;40:574-86 pubmed publisher..The mediating roles of integration and chronic anomie are considered, with the latter measured using data from the geocoded General Social Survey. ..
- Wehby G, Pedersen D, Murray J, Christensen K. The effects of oral clefts on hospital use throughout the lifespan. BMC Health Serv Res. 2012;12:58 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that individuals with oral clefts have higher hospitalization risks than the general population throughout most of the lifespan. ..
- Wallace A, Carlson J, Malone R, JOYNER J, DeWalt D. The influence of literacy on patient-reported experiences of diabetes self-management support. Nurs Res. 2010;59:356-63 pubmed publisher..Although conclusions are limited by the cross-sectional nature of this study, the results emphasize the need to consider literacy when developing and communicating treatment plans requiring self-management skills. ..
- Spies E, Askelson N, Gelman E, Losch M. Young women's knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors related to long-acting reversible contraceptives. Womens Health Issues. 2010;20:394-9 pubmed publisher..As described, although some young women are aware of these long-term contraceptive options, there is still a need to educate women on their availability, use, and potential benefit. ..
- Schafer E, Williams N, Digney S, Hare M, Ashida S. Social Contexts of Infant Feeding and Infant Feeding Decisions. J Hum Lact. 2016;32:132-40 pubmed publisher..Future research should investigate social contexts of infant feeding longitudinally to inform interventions. ..
- Klein D, Turvey C, Wallace R. Elders who delay medication because of cost: health insurance, demographic, health, and financial correlates. Gerontologist. 2004;44:779-87 pubmed..As a Medicare prescription benefit has been passed, it will be important to monitor how these changes affect the elders identified at risk for medication delay. ..
- Shane D, Wehby G. The Impact of the Affordable Care Act's Dependent Coverage Mandate on Use of Dental Treatments and Preventive Services. Med Care. 2017;55:841-847 pubmed publisher..Increases in private dental coverage due to the ACA's-dependent coverage mandate do not appear to be driving significant changes in overall preventive dental services utilization but there is evidence of an increase in restorative care. ..
- Belgum D. Homelessness. J Pastoral Care Counsel. 2003;57:39-44 pubmed..He raises the issue of how pastoral caregivers become involved in providing authentic care to this sub-culture and offers examples from his own experiences as a volunteer chaplain in the Salvation Army Corps. ..
- Bentler S, Liu L, Obrizan M, Cook E, Wright K, Geweke J, et al. The aftermath of hip fracture: discharge placement, functional status change, and mortality. Am J Epidemiol. 2009;170:1290-9 pubmed publisher..Sex, age, dementia, and frailty were significantly associated with mortality. This is one of the few studies to prospectively capture these declines in functional status after hip fracture. ..
- Wolinsky F, Bentler S, Cook E, Chrischilles E, Liu L, Wright K, et al. A 12-year prospective study of stroke risk in older Medicare beneficiaries. BMC Geriatr. 2009;9:17 pubmed publisher..This suggests an especially vulnerable post-hospital transition period from adverse effects associated with both their underlying health shock (the reasons for the recent hospital admission) and the consequences of their treatments. ..
- Cram P, Rosenthal G, Vaughan Sarrazin M. Cardiac revascularization in specialty and general hospitals. N Engl J Med. 2005;352:1454-62 pubmed..The lower unadjusted mortality rate after cardiac revascularization in specialty cardiac hospitals is accounted for by their healthier patients and higher procedural volumes. ..
- Daly J, Xu Y, Levy B. Patients whose physicians recommend colonoscopy and those who follow through. J Prim Care Community Health. 2013;4:83-94 pubmed publisher..2). Socioeconomic factors are associated with receipt of a colonoscopy recommendation. Fewer than one third of patients had documentation of a physician colonoscopy recommendation and of those, less than half followed through. ..
- Elliott D, Weinstock J. Where are we on worms?. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2012;28:551-6 pubmed publisher..To live in their host, helminths have developed the ability to activate cells of innate and adaptive immunity that suppress inflammation. Therapeutic trials using helminths are in progress. ..
- Arndt S, Gunter T, Acion L. Older admissions to substance abuse treatment in 2001. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2005;13:385-92 pubmed..Given the expected growth in the number of elderly clients needing substance abuse treatment, the authors provide a description of admissions of patients age 55 years and over to facilities receiving some public funds...
- Ettinger R, Warren J, Levy S, Hand J, Merchant J, Stromquist A. Oral health: perceptions of need in a rural Iowa county. Spec Care Dentist. 2004;24:13-21 pubmed..The results suggest that this rural population is retaining more teeth and consequently may need and may seek dental services more often than previous more edentulous cohorts. ..