Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on potassium channels in Iowa City, Iowa, United States
Locale: Iowa City, Iowa, United States
Topic: potassium channels
- Oltman C, Kane N, Gutterman D, Bar R, Dellsperger K. Mechanism of coronary vasodilation to insulin and insulin-like growth factor I is dependent on vessel size. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2000;279:E176-81 pubmed..In conduit vessels, NOS/cyclooxygenase pathways are involved in the vasodilation. In microvessels, relaxation to insulin and IGF-I is not mediated by NOS/cyclooxygenase pathways but rather through K(+)-dependent mechanisms...
- Wu C, Ganetzky B. Neurogenetic studies of ion channels in Drosophila. Ion Channels. 1992;3:261-314 pubmed
- Ueda A, Wu C. Effects of social isolation on neuromuscular excitability and aggressive behaviors in Drosophila: altered responses by Hk and gsts1, two mutations implicated in redox regulation. J Neurogenet. 2009;23:378-94 pubmed publisher..Therefore, ROS regulation may take part in the cellular responses to social isolation stress, underlying an important form of neural and behavioral plasticity. ..
- Joiner M, Asztalos Z, Jones C, Tully T, Wu C. Effects of mutant Drosophila K+ channel subunits on habituation of the olfactory jump response. J Neurogenet. 2007;21:45-58 pubmed
- Engel J, Wu C. Genetic dissection of functional contributions of specific potassium channel subunits in habituation of an escape circuit in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 1998;18:2254-67 pubmed
- Wu C, Chen M. Co-assembly of potassium channel subunits in Drosophila: the combinatorial hypothesis revisited. Chin J Physiol. 1995;38:131-8 pubmed..Various lines of evidence from in situ experiments in Drosophila and heterologous channel expression in Xenopus oocytes will be reviewed. ..
- Benkusky N, Fergus D, Zucchero T, England S. Regulation of the Ca2+-sensitive domains of the maxi-K channel in the mouse myometrium during gestation. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:27712-9 pubmed
- Su X, Wachtel R, Gebhart G. Mechanosensitive potassium channels in rat colon sensory neurons. J Neurophysiol. 2000;84:836-43 pubmed..These results indicate that rat colon sensory neurons contain K(+)-selective mechanosensitive channels that may modulate the membrane excitability induced by colonic distension...
- Yao W, Wu C. Distinct roles of CaMKII and PKA in regulation of firing patterns and K(+) currents in Drosophila neurons. J Neurophysiol. 2001;85:1384-94 pubmed..This study provides support for the notion that, in addition to synaptic mechanisms, modulations in spike activity patterns may represent an important mechanism for learning and memory that should be explored more fully...
- Faraci F, Sobey C, Chrissobolis S, Lund D, Heistad D, Weintraub N. Arachidonate dilates basilar artery by lipoxygenase-dependent mechanism and activation of K(+) channels. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2001;281:R246-53 pubmed
- Singh S, Wu C. Properties of potassium currents and their role in membrane excitability in Drosophila larval muscle fibers. J Exp Biol. 1990;152:59-76 pubmed..Elimination of ICF facilitates the occurrence of action potentials. Further elimination of IK prolonged the action potentials to several hundred milliseconds. ..
- Ohashi M, Faraci F, Heistad D. Peroxynitrite hyperpolarizes smooth muscle and relaxes internal carotid artery in rabbit via ATP-sensitive K+ channels. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2005;289:H2244-50 pubmed..These results suggest that ONOO- hyperpolarizes and relaxes smooth muscle in rabbit internal carotid artery but not in common carotid artery through activation of K(ATP) channels...
- Li J, Marionneau C, Zhang R, Shah V, Hell J, Nerbonne J, et al. Calmodulin kinase II inhibition shortens action potential duration by upregulation of K+ currents. Circ Res. 2006;99:1092-9 pubmed..These findings provide novel in vivo and cellular evidence that CaMKII links Ca(2+)(i) to cardiac repolarization and suggest that PLN may be a critical CaMKII target for feedback regulation of APD in ventricular myocytes. ..
- Zhao M, Sable E, Iverson L, Wu C. Functional expression of Shaker K+ channels in cultured Drosophila "giant" neurons derived from Sh cDNA transformants: distinct properties, distribution, and turnover. J Neurosci. 1995;15:1406-18 pubmed
- Chen M, Hoshi T, Wu C. Heteromultimeric interactions among K+ channel subunits from Shaker and eag families in Xenopus oocytes. Neuron. 1996;17:535-42 pubmed..Studies on channel subunit interactions may prove important in understanding the disease pattern and the complex functions of the brain. ..
- Saito M, Wu C. Expression of ion channels and mutational effects in giant Drosophila neurons differentiated from cell division-arrested embryonic neuroblasts. J Neurosci. 1991;11:2135-50 pubmed..This abnormality appeared to be more severe in the neurites than in the soma. ..
- Ueda A, Wu C. Effects of hyperkinetic, a beta subunit of Shaker voltage-dependent K+ channels, on the oxidation state of presynaptic nerve terminals. J Neurogenet. 2008;22:1-13 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results also establish DHR as a useful tool for detecting ROS levels in the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. ..
- Milkman R. An Escherichia coli homologue of eukaryotic potassium channel proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:3510-4 pubmed..The relevant properties of the Kch protein and further ways to investigate its evolutionary position are discussed. ..
- Zhong Y, Wu C. Modulation of different K+ currents in Drosophila: a hypothetical role for the Eag subunit in multimeric K+ channels. J Neurosci. 1993;13:4669-79 pubmed..The role of the eag subunit for modulating channels, as opposed to that of Sh subunits required for gating, selectivity, and conductance of the channel, suggest a combinatorial genetic framework for generating diversified K+ channels. ..
- Padanilam B, Lu T, Hoshi T, Padanilam B, Shibata E, Lee H. Molecular determinants of intracellular pH modulation of human Kv1.4 N-type inactivation. Mol Pharmacol. 2002;62:127-34 pubmed..Such pH(i) effects may represent an important fundamental mechanism for physiological regulation of excitable tissue function. ..
- Zingman L, Alekseev A, Hodgson Zingman D, Terzic A. ATP-sensitive potassium channels: metabolic sensing and cardioprotection. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2007;103:1888-93 pubmed
- Peng I, Wu C. Drosophila cacophony channels: a major mediator of neuronal Ca2+ currents and a trigger for K+ channel homeostatic regulation. J Neurosci. 2007;27:1072-81 pubmed..However, Ca2+ current expression levels remained unaltered in several K+ channel mutants, illustrating a key role of cac in developmental regulation of Drosophila neuronal excitability. ..
- Renger J, Yao W, Sokolowski M, Wu C. Neuronal polymorphism among natural alleles of a cGMP-dependent kinase gene, foraging, in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 1999;19:RC28 pubmed..These findings establish the consequences in cellular function for natural variation in an isoform of PKG and suggest a role for natural selection in maintaining variation in neuronal properties. ..
- Wang J, Soll D, Wu C. Morphometric description of the wandering behavior in Drosophila larvae: a phenotypic analysis of K+ channel mutants. J Neurogenet. 2002;16:45-63 pubmed..The synergistic effects of double and triple K+ channel mutations on these parameters of locomotion suggest that each K+ channel subunit contributes in a specific manner to the efficiency of locomotion. ..
- Zhong Y, Wu C. Alteration of four identified K+ currents in Drosophila muscle by mutations in eag. Science. 1991;252:1562-4 pubmed..Thus, combinatorial assembly of polypeptides from different genes may contribute to potassium channel diversity. ..
- Korovkina V, Fergus D, Holdiman A, England S. Characterization of a novel 132-bp exon of the human maxi-K channel. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2001;281:C361-7 pubmed..Alternative splicing to introduce this 132-bp exon into the maxi-K channel may elicit another mode to modulate cell excitability...
- Lee J, Ueda A, Wu C. Distinct roles of Drosophila cacophony and Dmca1D Ca(2+) channels in synaptic homeostasis: genetic interactions with slowpoke Ca(2+) -activated BK channels in presynaptic excitability and postsynaptic response. Dev Neurobiol. 2014;74:1-15 pubmed publisher..Taken together, cac and Dmca1D Ca(2+) channels differentially contribute to functional and structural aspects of slo-induced synaptic modifications. ..
- Engel J, Wu C. Interactions of membrane excitability mutations affecting potassium and sodium currents in the flight and giant fiber escape systems of Drosophila. J Comp Physiol A. 1992;171:93-104 pubmed..This suggests that in these mutants, the DLM motoneuron circuit is able to switch between two patterns of output, non-flight activity and flight.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..