Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mutation in Ames, Iowa, United States
Locale: Ames, Iowa, United States
- Gao H, Narayanan N, Ellison L, Bhattacharyya M. Two classes of highly similar coiled coil-nucleotide binding-leucine rich repeat genes isolated from the Rps1-k locus encode Phytophthora resistance in soybean. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2005;18:1035-45 pubmed..Analyses of independent R0, R1, R2, and R3 progeny populations suggested that both gene classes confer Phytophthora resistance in soybean. A possible evolutionary mechanism for the Class I gene family is proposed. ..
- Liu F, Cui X, Horner H, Weiner H, Schnable P. Mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase activity is required for male fertility in maize. Plant Cell. 2001;13:1063-78 pubmed..Indeed, the RF2 protein is capable of oxidizing at least three aldehydes. Hence, the specific metabolic pathway(s) within which the rf2-encoded mtALDH acts remains to be discovered. ..
- Nowling T, Zhou W, Krieger K, Larochelle C, Nguyen Huu M, Jeannotte L, et al. Hoxa5 gene regulation: A gradient of binding activity to a brachial spinal cord element. Dev Biol. 1999;208:134-46 pubmed..The brachial spinal cord element and its binding proteins are likely to be involved in spatial expression of Hoxa5 during development. ..
- Wu D, Wright D, Wetzel C, Voytas D, Rodermel S. The IMMUTANS variegation locus of Arabidopsis defines a mitochondrial alternative oxidase homolog that functions during early chloroplast biogenesis. Plant Cell. 1999;11:43-55 pubmed
- Zheng H, McKay J, Buss J. H-Ras does not need COP I- or COP II-dependent vesicular transport to reach the plasma membrane. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:25760-8 pubmed..Thus, H-Ras has two simultaneous but distinct means of transport and need not depend on vesicular trafficking for its delivery to the plasma membrane. ..
- Bao X, Cai W, Deng H, Zhang W, Krencik R, Girton J, et al. The COOH-terminal domain of the JIL-1 histone H3S10 kinase interacts with histone H3 and is required for correct targeting to chromatin. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:32741-50 pubmed publisher..Taken together these findings indicate that JIL-1 may participate in regulating chromatin structure by multiple and partially redundant mechanisms. ..
- Singh R. Evolving concepts on human SMN pre-mRNA splicing. RNA Biol. 2007;4:7-10 pubmed..Considering an antisense-based strategy confers a unique advantage of sequence specificity, availability of many target worthy cis-elements holds strong potential for antisense-mediated therapy of SMA. ..
- Wen T, Hochholdinger F, Sauer M, Bruce W, Schnable P. The roothairless1 gene of maize encodes a homolog of sec3, which is involved in polar exocytosis. Plant Physiol. 2005;138:1637-43 pubmed publisher..The preferential accumulation in the rth1 mutant proteome of a negative regulator of the cell cycle (a prohibitin) may at least partially explain the delayed development and flowering of the rth1 mutant...
- Dietrich C, Cui F, Packila M, Li J, Ashlock D, Nikolau B, et al. Maize Mu transposons are targeted to the 5' untranslated region of the gl8 gene and sequences flanking Mu target-site duplications exhibit nonrandom nucleotide composition throughout the genome. Genetics. 2002;160:697-716 pubmed..Hence, this study provides strong evidence for the involvement of sequences flanking the TSD in Mu insertion-site selection. ..
- Radke K, Johnson K, Guo R, Davidson A, Ambrosio L. Drosophila-raf acts to elaborate dorsoventral pattern in the ectoderm of developing embryos. Genetics. 2001;159:1031-44 pubmed..The consequences of eliminating key D-raf regulatory domains and specific serine residues in the transmission of Egfr and lateral epidermal signals were also addressed here. ..
- Soto Burgos J, Bassham D. SnRK1 activates autophagy via the TOR signaling pathway in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182591 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, an increase in SnRK1 activity was unable to induce autophagy when TOR was also activated. These results demonstrate that SnRK1 acts upstream of TOR in the activation of autophagy in Arabidopsis. ..
- Li Y, Wang C, Cai W, Sengupta S, Zavortink M, Deng H, et al. H2Av facilitates H3S10 phosphorylation but is not required for heat shock-induced chromatin decondensation or transcriptional elongation. Development. 2017;144:3232-3240 pubmed publisher..These data strongly suggest that H2Av or H3S10 phosphorylation by JIL-1 is not required for chromatin decondensation or transcriptional elongation in Drosophila. ..
- Luangtongkum T, Shen Z, Seng V, Sahin O, Jeon B, Liu P, et al. Impaired fitness and transmission of macrolide-resistant Campylobacter jejuni in its natural host. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012;56:1300-8 pubmed publisher..jejuni will likely decrease in the absence of antibiotic selection pressure...
- Yu F, Liu X, Alsheikh M, Park S, Rodermel S. Mutations in SUPPRESSOR OF VARIEGATION1, a factor required for normal chloroplast translation, suppress var2-mediated leaf variegation in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2008;20:1786-804 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that defects in chloroplast rRNA processing are a common, but not universal, molecular phenotype associated with suppression of var2 variegation. ..
- Fan C, Bobik T. The PduX enzyme of Salmonella enterica is an L-threonine kinase used for coenzyme B12 synthesis. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:11322-9 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, PduX is the first enzyme shown to phosphorylate free L-threonine and the first L-threonine kinase shown to function in coenzyme B(12) synthesis. ..
- Wang Z, Treder K, Miller W. Structure of a viral cap-independent translation element that functions via high affinity binding to the eIF4E subunit of eIF4F. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:14189-202 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the PTE recruits eIF4F by binding eIF4E. The PTE represents a different class of translation enhancer element, as defined by its structure and ability to bind eIF4E in the absence of an m(7)G cap...
- Laederach A, Cradic K, Brazin K, Zamoon J, Fulton D, Huang X, et al. Competing modes of self-association in the regulatory domains of Bruton's tyrosine kinase: intramolecular contact versus asymmetric homodimerization. Protein Sci. 2002;11:36-45 pubmed
- Ross J, Fernandez de Castro J, Zhao J, Samuel M, Walters E, Rios C, et al. Generation of an inbred miniature pig model of retinitis pigmentosa. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012;53:501-7 pubmed publisher..This large-animal model can serve as a novel tool for the study of the pathogenesis and therapeutic intervention in the most common form of adRP...
- Huang Z, Yeakley J, Garcia E, Holdridge J, Fan J, Whitham S. Salicylic acid-dependent expression of host genes in compatible Arabidopsis-virus interactions. Plant Physiol. 2005;137:1147-59 pubmed
- PLUMMER P, Sahin O, Burrough E, Sippy R, Mou K, Rabenold J, et al. Critical role of LuxS in the virulence of Campylobacter jejuni in a guinea pig model of abortion. Infect Immun. 2012;80:585-93 pubmed publisher..These studies provide the first direct evidence that LuxS plays an important role in the virulence of C. jejuni using an in vivo model of natural disease...
- Reinhardt T, Lippolis J, Shull G, Horst R. Null mutation in the gene encoding plasma membrane Ca2+-ATPase isoform 2 impairs calcium transport into milk. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:42369-73 pubmed..This major secretory function represents a novel biological role for the plasma membrane Ca2+-ATPases, which are generally regarded as premier regulators of intracellular Ca2+. ..
- Chen H, Rosin F, Prat S, Hannapel D. Interacting transcription factors from the three-amino acid loop extension superclass regulate tuber formation. Plant Physiol. 2003;132:1391-404 pubmed..Our results demonstrate an interaction between KNOX and BEL1-like transcription factors of potato that may potentially regulate processes of development...
- Kim S, Bassham D. TNO1 is involved in salt tolerance and vacuolar trafficking in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2011;156:514-26 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that TNO1 is involved in vacuolar trafficking and salt tolerance, potentially via roles in vesicle fusion and in maintaining TGN structure or identity. ..
- Shao Z, Zhang Y, Ye Q, Saldanha J, Powell Coffman J. C. elegans SWAN-1 Binds to EGL-9 and regulates HIF-1-mediated resistance to the bacterial pathogen Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1. PLoS Pathog. 2010;6:e1001075 pubmed publisher..aeruginosa. These data support a model in which SWAN-1, MBK-1 and EGL-9 regulate HIF-1 transcriptional activity and modulate resistance to P. aeruginosa PAO1 fast killing. ..
- Bannantine J, Bermudez L. No holes barred: invasion of the intestinal mucosa by Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis. Infect Immun. 2013;81:3960-5 pubmed publisher..These notable findings are summarized along with added mechanistic details of the early infection model. We conclude by proposing critical next steps to further elucidate the process of M. avium subsp. paratuberculosis invasion. ..
- Fu A, Park S, Rodermel S. Sequences required for the activity of PTOX (IMMUTANS), a plastid terminal oxidase: in vitro and in planta mutagenesis of iron-binding sites and a conserved sequence that corresponds to Exon 8. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:42489-96 pubmed..Chloroplast import assays revealed that mutant enzymes lacking Exon 8 have enhanced turnover. We conclude that the Exon 8 domain is required not only for PTOX activity but also for its stability. ..
- Dinges J, Colleoni C, James M, Myers A. Mutational analysis of the pullulanase-type debranching enzyme of maize indicates multiple functions in starch metabolism. Plant Cell. 2003;15:666-80 pubmed..Therefore, pullulanase-type DBE partially compensates for the defect in isoamylase-type DBE, suggesting a function during starch synthesis as well as degradation. ..
- Srivastava R, Deng Y, Shah S, Rao A, Howell S. BINDING PROTEIN is a master regulator of the endoplasmic reticulum stress sensor/transducer bZIP28 in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2013;25:1416-29 pubmed publisher..Thus, the dissociation of BiP from the C-terminal tail of bZIP28 is a major switch that activates one arm of the unfolded protein response signaling pathway in plants. ..
- Wang W, Gorrell A, Honzatko R, Fromm H. A study of Escherichia coli adenylosuccinate synthetase association states and the interface residues of the homodimer. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:7078-84 pubmed..Our results suggest that IMP binding induces enzyme dimerization and that two residues in the interface region, Arg143 and Asp231, play significant roles in IMP and GTP binding. ..
- Liu S, Yeh C, Tang H, Nettleton D, Schnable P. Gene mapping via bulked segregant RNA-Seq (BSR-Seq). PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36406 pubmed publisher..The gl3 gene encodes a putative myb transcription factor, which directly or indirectly affects the expression of a number of genes involved in the biosynthesis of very-long-chain fatty acids. ..
- De la Rosa M, Nelson S. An interaction between the Walker A and D-loop motifs is critical to ATP hydrolysis and cooperativity in bacteriophage T4 Rad50. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:26258-66 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we propose that the asparagine acts as a ?-phosphate sensor and, through its interaction with the conserved D-loop aspartate, transmits conformational changes across the dimer interface to the second ATP binding site...
- Yu F, Park S, Rodermel S. Functional redundancy of AtFtsH metalloproteases in thylakoid membrane complexes. Plant Physiol. 2005;138:1957-66 pubmed
- Yi G, Lauter A, Scott M, Becraft P. The thick aleurone1 mutant defines a negative regulation of maize aleurone cell fate that functions downstream of defective kernel1. Plant Physiol. 2011;156:1826-36 pubmed publisher..The thk1 mutation was found to be caused by a deletion of approximately 2 megabases. ..
- Deng H, Cai W, Wang C, Lerach S, Delattre M, Girton J, et al. JIL-1 and Su(var)3-7 interact genetically and counteract each other's effect on position-effect variegation in Drosophila. Genetics. 2010;185:1183-92 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest a model where Su(var)3-7 functions as an effector downstream of Su(var)3-9 and H3K9 dimethylation in heterochromatic spreading and gene silencing that is normally counteracted by JIL-1 kinase activity. ..
- Maxson J, Luty S, Macmaniman J, Paik J, Gotlib J, Greenberg P, et al. The Colony-Stimulating Factor 3 Receptor T640N Mutation Is Oncogenic, Sensitive to JAK Inhibition, and Mimics T618I. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:757-64 pubmed publisher..Because of its similarities to CSF3R T618I, the T640N mutation likely has diagnostic and therapeutic relevance in CNL/aCML. ..
- Johansen K, Johansen J. Regulation of chromatin structure by histone H3S10 phosphorylation. Chromosome Res. 2006;14:393-404 pubmed
- Gao M, Wanat J, Stinard P, James M, Myers A. Characterization of dull1, a maize gene coding for a novel starch synthase. Plant Cell. 1998;10:399-412 pubmed..We conclude that Du1 codes for a starch synthase, most likely SSII, and that secondary effects of du1- mutations, such as reduction of SBEIIa, result from the primary deficiency in this starch synthase. ..
- Kang C, Kim S, Fromm H. Subunit complementation of Escherichia coli adenylosuccinate synthetase. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:29722-8 pubmed..9 microM, respectively. A concentration dependence of the specific activity of the wild-type protein in this study shows that the Kd for dimer dissociation is approximately 1 microM. ..