Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila proteins in Ames, Iowa, United States
Locale: Ames, Iowa, United States
Topic: drosophila proteins
- Zhang W, Wang Y, Long J, Girton J, Johansen J, Johansen K. A developmentally regulated splice variant from the complex lola locus encoding multiple different zinc finger domain proteins interacts with the chromosomal kinase JIL-1. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:11696-704 pubmed..Thus, genetic interaction assays provide direct evidence that gene products from the lola locus function within the same pathway as the chromosomal kinase JIL-1. ..
- Qi H, Rath U, Ding Y, Ji Y, Blacketer M, Girton J, et al. EAST interacts with Megator and localizes to the putative spindle matrix during mitosis in Drosophila. J Cell Biochem. 2005;95:1284-91 pubmed..On the basis of these findings, we propose that Megator and EAST interact to form a nuclear endoskeleton and as well are important components of the putative spindle matrix complex during mitosis. ..
- Ji Y, Rath U, Girton J, Johansen K, Johansen J. D-Hillarin, a novel W180-domain protein, affects cytokinesis through interaction with the septin family member Pnut. J Neurobiol. 2005;64:157-69 pubmed..Based on these results we propose that D-hil may function as a regulator of septin function during cytokinesis in the developing nervous system. ..
- Deng H, Bao X, Zhang W, Girton J, Johansen J, Johansen K. Reduced levels of Su(var)3-9 but not Su(var)2-5 (HP1) counteract the effects on chromatin structure and viability in loss-of-function mutants of the JIL-1 histone H3S10 kinase. Genetics. 2007;177:79-87 pubmed
- Coffman C. Cell migration and programmed cell death of Drosophila germ cells. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2003;995:117-26 pubmed..Many questions remain to be answered, but advances made in recent years are providing useful insights into these critical biological phenomena. ..
- Kamps A, Pruitt M, Herriges J, Coffman C. An evolutionarily conserved arginine is essential for Tre1 G protein-coupled receptor function during germ cell migration in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11839 pubmed publisher..These structure-function studies of GPCR signaling in native contexts will inform future studies into the basic biology of this large and clinically important family of receptors. ..
- Wang C, Yao C, Li Y, Cai W, Bao X, Girton J, et al. Evidence against a role for the JIL-1 kinase in H3S28 phosphorylation and 14-3-3 recruitment to active genes in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62484 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results argue strongly against a model where JIL-1 is required for H3S28 phosphorylation and 14-3-3 recruitment at active genes. ..
- Zhang W, Deng H, Bao X, Lerach S, Girton J, Johansen J, et al. The JIL-1 histone H3S10 kinase regulates dimethyl H3K9 modifications and heterochromatic spreading in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:229-35 pubmed..Based on these findings, we propose a model where JIL-1 kinase activity functions to maintain euchromatic regions by antagonizing Su(var)3-9-mediated heterochromatization. ..
- Deng H, Cai W, Wang C, Lerach S, Delattre M, Girton J, et al. JIL-1 and Su(var)3-7 interact genetically and counteract each other's effect on position-effect variegation in Drosophila. Genetics. 2010;185:1183-92 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest a model where Su(var)3-7 functions as an effector downstream of Su(var)3-9 and H3K9 dimethylation in heterochromatic spreading and gene silencing that is normally counteracted by JIL-1 kinase activity. ..
- Radke K, Johnson K, Guo R, Davidson A, Ambrosio L. Drosophila-raf acts to elaborate dorsoventral pattern in the ectoderm of developing embryos. Genetics. 2001;159:1031-44 pubmed..The consequences of eliminating key D-raf regulatory domains and specific serine residues in the transmission of Egfr and lateral epidermal signals were also addressed here. ..
- Jin Y, Wang Y, Johansen J, Johansen K. JIL-1, a chromosomal kinase implicated in regulation of chromatin structure, associates with the male specific lethal (MSL) dosage compensation complex. J Cell Biol. 2000;149:1005-10 pubmed..Thus, these results strongly indicate JIL-1 associates with the MSL complex and further suggests JIL-1 functions in signal transduction pathways regulating chromatin structure. ..
- Qi H, Yao C, Cai W, Girton J, Johansen K, Johansen J. Asator, a tau-tubulin kinase homolog in Drosophila localizes to the mitotic spindle. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:3248-56 pubmed publisher..The finding that Asator localizes to the spindle region during mitosis and directly can interact with Megator suggests that its kinase activity may be involved in regulating microtubule dynamics and microtubule spindle function. ..