Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cell cycle proteins in Iowa City, Iowa, United States
Locale: Iowa City, Iowa, United States
Topic: cell cycle proteins
- Hanson S, Schurko A, Hecox Lea B, Welch D, Stelzer C, Logsdon J. Inventory and phylogenetic analysis of meiotic genes in monogonont rotifers. J Hered. 2013;104:357-70 pubmed publisher..The data presented here provide insights into mechanisms of cyclical parthenogenesis and establish expectations for studies of obligate asexual relatives of monogononts, the bdelloid rotifer lineage...
- Ebert S, Dyle M, Kunkel S, Bullard S, Bongers K, Fox D, et al. Stress-induced skeletal muscle Gadd45a expression reprograms myonuclei and causes muscle atrophy. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:27290-301 pubmed publisher..These results elucidate a critical stress-induced pathway that reprograms muscle gene expression to cause atrophy. ..
- Baldwin A, Clemons A, Phillips B. Unique and redundant Î²-catenin regulatory roles of two Dishevelled paralogs during C. elegans asymmetric cell division. J Cell Sci. 2016;129:983-93 pubmed publisher..Overall, we have further defined the role of Dishevelled in the WÎ²A signaling pathway, and demonstrated that DSH-2 and MIG-5 regulate cell fate, Î²-catenin nuclear levels and the polarity of Î²-catenin regulation. ..
- Clemons A, Brockway H, Yin Y, Kasinathan B, Butterfield Y, Jones S, et al. akirin is required for diakinesis bivalent structure and synaptonemal complex disassembly at meiotic prophase I. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:1053-67 pubmed publisher..The meiotic divisions are delayed in akir-1 mutants and are accompanied by lagging chromosomes. Our analysis therefore provides evidence for an important role of proper SC disassembly in configuring a functional bivalent structure...
- Pashkova N, Gakhar L, Winistorfer S, Yu L, Ramaswamy S, Piper R. WD40 repeat propellers define a ubiquitin-binding domain that regulates turnover of F box proteins. Mol Cell. 2010;40:433-43 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results reveal a molecular mechanism that may account for how ubiquitin controls a broad spectrum of cellular activities. ..
- Schurko A, Logsdon J, Eads B. Meiosis genes in Daphnia pulex and the role of parthenogenesis in genome evolution. BMC Evol Biol. 2009;9:78 pubmed publisher..Taking into account our findings, we provide a mechanistic model of parthenogenesis, highlighting steps that must differ from meiosis including sister chromatid cohesion and kinetochore attachment. ..
- Nimbalkar D, Quelle F. Phosphoinositide 3-kinase signaling overrides a G2 phase arrest checkpoint and promotes aberrant cell cycling and death of hematopoietic cells after DNA damage. Cell Cycle. 2008;7:2877-85 pubmed..While this activity can rescue irradiated cells from permanent G(1) phase arrest, it results in aberrant cell cycling and death when activated in hematopoietic cells arrested at the G(2) phase DNA damage checkpoint. ..
- Henry M, Nimbalkar D, Hohl R, Quelle F. Cytokine-induced phosphoinositide 3-kinase activity promotes Cdk2 activation in factor-dependent hematopoietic cells. Exp Cell Res. 2004;299:257-66 pubmed..Together, these observations identify a mechanism through which cytokine-activated PI3K contributes to G1 to S phase progression in factor-dependent hematopoietic cells by enhancing the phosphorylation and activation of Cdk2. ..
- Yao T, Cohen R. A cryptic protease couples deubiquitination and degradation by the proteasome. Nature. 2002;419:403-7 pubmed..The inability to remove ubiquitin can be rate-limiting for degradation in vitro and is lethal to yeast. Unlike all other known deubiquitinating enzymes (DUBs) that are cysteine proteases, POH1 appears to be a Zn(2+)-dependent protease. ..
- Yee N, Zhou W, Liang I. Transient receptor potential ion channel Trpm7 regulates exocrine pancreatic epithelial proliferation by Mg2+-sensitive Socs3a signaling in development and cancer. Dis Model Mech. 2011;4:240-54 pubmed publisher..Results of this study indicate that Trpm7 regulates exocrine pancreatic development via the Mg(2+)-sensitive Socs3a pathway, and suggest that aberrant TRPM7-mediated signaling contributes to pancreatic carcinogenesis. ..
- Hanson S, Stelzer C, Welch D, Logsdon J. Comparative transcriptome analysis of obligately asexual and cyclically sexual rotifers reveals genes with putative functions in sexual reproduction, dormancy, and asexual egg production. BMC Genomics. 2013;14:412 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our results offer insight into the evolution of obligate asexuality in bdelloid rotifers and provide indicators important for the use of monogononts as a model system for investigating the evolution of sexual reproduction. ..
- Jiang Y, Maier W, Baumeister R, Minevich G, Joachimiak E, Ruan Z, et al. The Hippo Pathway Maintains the Equatorial Division Plane in the Ciliate Tetrahymena. Genetics. 2017;206:873-888 pubmed publisher..We conclude that, in Tetrahymena, the Hippo pathway maintains an equatorial position of the fission zone, and, by this activity, specifies the relative dimensions of the anterior and posterior daughter cell. ..
- Arends S, Kustusch R, Weiss D. ATP-binding site lesions in FtsE impair cell division. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:3772-84 pubmed publisher..This structure is not what one would expect of a substrate-specific transmembrane channel, leading us to suggest that FtsEX is not really a transporter even though it probably has to hydrolyze ATP to support cell division...