Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on beta catenin in Iowa City, Iowa, United States
Locale: Iowa City, Iowa, United States
Topic: beta catenin
- Shasby D, Winter M. H1 and PAR2 receptors enhance delivery of immune-competent cells and molecules by interrupting E-cadherin adhesion in epithelia. Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc. 2011;122:217-28 pubmed..Hence, G-protein-coupled receptors responding to immune-defense molecules temporarily and focally interrupt the lung epithelial barrier by compromising cadherin-based adhesion. ..
- Peng X, Cuff L, Lawton C, DeMali K. Vinculin regulates cell-surface E-cadherin expression by binding to beta-catenin. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:567-77 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study identifies vinculin as a novel regulator of E-cadherin function and provides important new insight into the dynamic regulation of adherens junctions. ..
- Cuykendall T, Houston D. Vegetally localized Xenopus trim36 regulates cortical rotation and dorsal axis formation. Development. 2009;136:3057-65 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest a role for Trim36 in controlling the stability of proteins regulating microtubule polymerization during cortical rotation, and subsequently axis formation. ..
- Rhee J, Buchan T, Zukerberg L, Lilien J, Balsamo J. Cables links Robo-bound Abl kinase to N-cadherin-bound beta-catenin to mediate Slit-induced modulation of adhesion and transcription. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:883-92 pubmed..Thus, Slit-induced formation of the Robo-N-cadherin complex results in a rapid loss of cadherin-mediated adhesion and has more lasting effects on gene transcription. ..
- Rhee J, Mahfooz N, Arregui C, Lilien J, Balsamo J, VanBerkum M. Activation of the repulsive receptor Roundabout inhibits N-cadherin-mediated cell adhesion. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:798-805 pubmed..Local formation of such a receptor complex is an ideal mechanism to steer the growth cone while still allowing adhesion and growth in other directions. ..
- Westfall T, Hjertos B, Slusarski D. Requirement for intracellular calcium modulation in zebrafish dorsal-ventral patterning. Dev Biol. 2003;259:380-91 pubmed..These results provide evidence that modulation of calcium release is critical for early embryonic patterning and acts by influencing the stabilization of beta-catenin protein. ..
- Zhao D, Yu S, Zhou X, Haring J, Held W, Badovinac V, et al. Constitutive activation of Wnt signaling favors generation of memory CD8 T cells. J Immunol. 2010;184:1191-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, constitutive activation of the canonical Wnt pathway favors memory CD8 T cell formation during initial immunization, resulting in enhanced immunity upon second encounter with the same pathogen. ..
- Zhou X, Yu S, Zhao D, Harty J, Badovinac V, Xue H. Differentiation and persistence of memory CD8(+) T cells depend on T cell factor 1. Immunity. 2010;33:229-40 pubmed publisher..Our studies thus identify TCF-1 as a critical player in a transcriptional program that regulates memory CD8 differentiation and longevity. ..
- Lobas M, Helsper L, Vernon C, Schreiner D, Zhang Y, Holtzman M, et al. Molecular heterogeneity in the choroid plexus epithelium: the 22-member ?-protocadherin family is differentially expressed, apically localized, and implicated in CSF regulation. J Neurochem. 2012;120:913-27 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest an unsuspected role for the ?-Pcdhs in CSF production and demonstrate a surprising molecular heterogeneity in the CP epithelium. ..
- Schneider P, Olthoff J, Matthews A, Houston D. Use of fully modified 2'-O-methyl antisense oligos for loss-of-function studies in vertebrate embryos. Genesis. 2011;49:117-23 pubmed publisher..These results show that fully modified 2'-OMe oligos can function as RNase-H independent antisense reagents in vertebrate embryos and can thus serve as an alternative modification to morpholinos in some cases. ..
- Chao S, Nagoshi R. Induction of apoptosis in the germline and follicle layer of Drosophila egg chambers. Mech Dev. 1999;88:159-72 pubmed..Germ cells degenerating as a normal consequence of oogenesis displayed a similar set of phenotypes, suggesting that a common apoptotic mechanism may underlie these different germline death phenomena. ..
- Baldwin A, Clemons A, Phillips B. Unique and redundant Î²-catenin regulatory roles of two Dishevelled paralogs during C. elegans asymmetric cell division. J Cell Sci. 2016;129:983-93 pubmed publisher..Overall, we have further defined the role of Dishevelled in the WÎ²A signaling pathway, and demonstrated that DSH-2 and MIG-5 regulate cell fate, Î²-catenin nuclear levels and the polarity of Î²-catenin regulation. ..
- Shasby D, Ries D, Shasby S, Winter M. Histamine stimulates phosphorylation of adherens junction proteins and alters their link to vimentin. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2002;282:L1330-8 pubmed..Within 60 s, histamine simulated a doubling in the phosphorylation of VE-cadherin and beta- and gamma-catenin. The VE-cadherin immunoprecipitate contained kinase activity that phosphorylated VE-cadherin and gamma-catenin in vitro. ..
- Xu G, Arregui C, Lilien J, Balsamo J. PTP1B modulates the association of beta-catenin with N-cadherin through binding to an adjacent and partially overlapping target site. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:49989-97 pubmed..Thus, interaction of PTP1B with N-cadherin is essential for its association with beta-catenin, stable expression at the cell surface, and consequently, cadherin function. ..
- Choi S, Gustafson Wagner E, Wang Q, Harlan S, Sinn H, Lin J, et al. The intercalated disk protein, mXinalpha, is capable of interacting with beta-catenin and bundling actin filaments [corrected]. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:36024-36 pubmed..In support of this model, we found that the actin binding and bundling activity of mXinalpha was enhanced in the presence of beta-catenin. ..
- Schneider I, Schneider P, Derry S, Lin S, Barton L, Westfall T, et al. Zebrafish Nkd1 promotes Dvl degradation and is required for left-right patterning. Dev Biol. 2010;348:22-33 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that Nkd1 acts as a β-catenin antagonist in the DFCs necessary for LR patterning. ..
- Westfall T, Brimeyer R, Twedt J, Gladon J, Olberding A, Furutani Seiki M, et al. Wnt-5/pipetail functions in vertebrate axis formation as a negative regulator of Wnt/beta-catenin activity. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:889-98 pubmed..The Wnt-5 loss-of-function defect is consistent with Ca2+ modulation having an antagonistic interaction with Wnt/beta-catenin signaling. ..
- Schneider I, Houston D, Rebagliati M, Slusarski D. Calcium fluxes in dorsal forerunner cells antagonize beta-catenin and alter left-right patterning. Development. 2008;135:75-84 pubmed..As in zebrafish, manipulation of Ca(2+) release results in ectopic nuclear beta-catenin and altered laterality. Overall, our data support a conserved early Ca(2+) requirement in DFC-like cell function in zebrafish and Xenopus. ..
- Grosskurth S, Bhattacharya D, Wang Q, Lin J. Emergence of Xin demarcates a key innovation in heart evolution. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2857 pubmed publisher..We postulate that the emergence of the Xin paralogs and their functional differentiation may have played a key role in the evolutionary development of the heart. ..
- Hulstrand A, Schneider P, Houston D. The use of antisense oligonucleotides in Xenopus oocytes. Methods. 2010;51:75-81 pubmed publisher..Although these methods can be technically demanding, the use of antisense in oocytes can be used to address biological questions that are intractable in other experimental settings. ..
- Filali M, Cheng N, Abbott D, Leontiev V, Engelhardt J. Wnt-3A/beta-catenin signaling induces transcription from the LEF-1 promoter. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:33398-410 pubmed..In summary, these results provide evidence for transcriptional regulation of the LEF-1 promoter by Wnt and enhance the mechanistic understanding of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in the regulation of LEF-1-dependent developmental processes. ..
- Chunthapong J, Seftor E, Khalkhali Ellis Z, Seftor R, Amir S, Lubaroff D, et al. Dual roles of E-cadherin in prostate cancer invasion. J Cell Biochem. 2004;91:649-61 pubmed..These results suggest that E-cadherin plays an important role in regulating the invasive potential of prostate cancer cells through an unique paracrine mechanism. ..