Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Ames, Iowa, United States
Locale: Ames, Iowa, United States
Publications200 found, 100 shown here
- Song C, Gallup J, Day T, Bartholomay L, Kimber M. Development of an in vivo RNAi protocol to investigate gene function in the filarial nematode, Brugia malayi. PLoS Pathog. 2010;6:e1001239 pubmed publisher..The potential of this new protocol to investigate parasitic nematode biology and to identify and validate novel anthelmintic drug targets is discussed...
- Shen H, Gould S, Kinyon J, Opriessnig T, O Connor A. Development and evaluation of a multiplex real-time PCR assay for the detection and differentiation of Moraxella bovis, Moraxella bovoculi and Moraxella ovis in pure culture isolates and lacrimal swabs collected from conventionally raised cattle. J Appl Microbiol. 2011;111:1037-43 pubmed publisher..bovis, M. bovoculi and M. ovis in infectious bovine keratoconjunctivitis cases, and the developed PCR assay will contribute to improved understanding of the epidemiology and pathogenesis of these three Moraxella species. ..
- Esch K, Petersen C. Transmission and epidemiology of zoonotic protozoal diseases of companion animals. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2013;26:58-85 pubmed publisher..To provide this awareness, this review is focused on zoonotic protozoal mechanisms of virulence, epidemiology, and the transmission of pathogens of consequence to pet owners in the United States. ..
- Au C, Wang T, Acevedo N. Development of a low resolution (1)H NMR spectroscopic technique for the study of matrix mobility in fresh and freeze-thawed hen egg yolk. Food Chem. 2016;204:159-66 pubmed publisher..05) were found within gelled yolk samples. This research determined that (1)H NMR spectroscopy, a non-destructive technique, can identify yolk components and detect changes in the matrix. ..
- Tuggle C, Green J, Fitzsimmons C, Woods R, Prather R, Malchenko S, et al. EST-based gene discovery in pig: virtual expression patterns and comparative mapping to human. Mamm Genome. 2003;14:565-79 pubmed..We demonstrate the utility of this software for comparative mapping by localizing 61 genes on the porcine physical map for Chromosomes (Chrs) 5, 10, and 14. ..
- Nieman K, Rowling M, Garrow T, Schalinske K. Modulation of methyl group metabolism by streptozotocin-induced diabetes and all-trans-retinoic acid. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:45708-12 pubmed
- Shen S, Steinhardt R. The mechanisms of cell membrane resealing in rabbit corneal epithelial cells. Curr Eye Res. 2005;30:543-54 pubmed..The RCE cell also contains a PKA-dependent global potentiation of membrane resealing. ..
- Andreotti A. Opening the pore hinges on proline. Nat Chem Biol. 2006;2:13-4 pubmed
- Gorbach D, Hu Z, Du Z, Rothschild M. Mining ESTs to determine the usefulness of SNPs across shrimp species. Anim Biotechnol. 2010;21:100-3 pubmed publisher..While sequences appear relatively well conserved, SNPs do not appear to be well conserved across shrimp species...
- Platt R, Vincent A, Gauger P, Loving C, Zanella E, Lager K, et al. Comparison of humoral and cellular immune responses to inactivated swine influenza virus vaccine in weaned pigs. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2011;142:252-7 pubmed publisher..Overall, the adjuvanted UV-inactivated A/SW/MN/02011/08 H1N2 SIV vaccine stimulated both humoral and cellular immune responses including the CD4-CD8+ T cell subset. ..
- Bader C, Jesudoss Chelladurai J, Starling D, Jones D, Brewer M. Assessment of in vitro killing assays for detecting praziquantel-induced death in Posthodiplostomum minimum metacercariae. Exp Parasitol. 2017;181:70-74 pubmed publisher..The propidium iodide method offers an advantage over simple visualization of parasite movement and could be used to determine EC50 values relevant for comparison of praziquantel sensitivity or resistance. ..
- Woods R, Wesley R. Seroconversion of pigs in contact with dogs exposed to canine coronavirus. Can J Vet Res. 1992;56:78-80 pubmed..The dogs shed CCV for eight days after exposure. All three pigs developed neutralizing antibodies against CCV and transmissible gastroenteritis virus by 14 days after they were exposed to the dogs. ..
- Haussmann M, Winkler D, Huntington C, Vleck D, Sanneman C, Hanley D, et al. Cell-mediated immunosenescence in birds. Oecologia. 2005;145:270-5 pubmed..This link between declining immune function and survival may reflect differences in resource partitioning between species, and suggests that selection may act on investment in immune function to influence maximum life span. ..
- Knežević N, Lin V. A magnetic mesoporous silica nanoparticle-based drug delivery system for photosensitive cooperative treatment of cancer with a mesopore-capping agent and mesopore-loaded drug. Nanoscale. 2013;5:1544-51 pubmed publisher..Responsiveness to light irradiation and magnetic activity of the nanocarrier enable its potential application for selective targeted treatment of cancer. ..
- Everett K, Andersen A. The ribosomal intergenic spacer and domain I of the 23S rRNA gene are phylogenetic markers for Chlamydia spp. Int J Syst Bacteriol. 1997;47:461-73 pubmed..DNA sequence analysis of either the intergenic spacer or domain I provides a rapid and reproducible method for identifying, grouping, and classifying chlamydial strains. ..
- Jones D, Ackermann M, Wille U, Hunter C, Scott P. Early enhanced Th1 response after Leishmania amazonensis infection of C57BL/6 interleukin-10-deficient mice does not lead to resolution of infection. Infect Immun. 2002;70:2151-8 pubmed..These results indicate that although IL-10 plays a role in limiting the Th1 response during the acute infection phase, other immunomodulatory factors are responsible for limiting the Th1 response during the chronic phase. ..
- Naylor G, Brown W. Amphioxus mitochondrial DNA, chordate phylogeny, and the limits of inference based on comparisons of sequences. Syst Biol. 1998;47:61-76 pubmed
- Skaff D, Kim C, Tsai H, Honzatko R, Fromm H. Glucose 6-phosphate release of wild-type and mutant human brain hexokinases from mitochondria. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:38403-9 pubmed..Results here implicate a primary role for the glucose 6-phosphate binding site at the N-terminal half of HKI in the release mechanism. ..
- Hines J, Fromm H, Honzatko R. Structures of activated fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase from Escherichia coli. Coordinate regulation of bacterial metabolism and the conservation of the R-state. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:11696-704 pubmed..Findings here unify disparate observations regarding bacterial FBPases, implicating a mechanism of feed-forward activation in bacterial central metabolism. ..
- Pal N, Huang Y, Madson D, Kuster C, Meng X, Halbur P, et al. Development and validation of a duplex real-time PCR assay for the simultaneous detection and quantification of porcine circovirus type 2 and an internal control on porcine semen samples. J Virol Methods. 2008;149:217-25 pubmed publisher..The duplex qPCR assay was found to be a valuable tool for accurate and quantitative detection of PCV2 DNA in boar semen...
- Ding J, Tchaicheeyan O, Ambrosio L. Drosophila Raf's N terminus contains a novel conserved region and can contribute to torso RTK signaling. Genetics. 2010;184:717-29 pubmed publisher..Together, our studies suggest that DRaf's extended N terminus may assist in its association with the upstream activators (Ras1 and Rap1) through a CRN-mediated mechanism(s) in vivo. ..
- Ross J, Fernandez de Castro J, Zhao J, Samuel M, Walters E, Rios C, et al. Generation of an inbred miniature pig model of retinitis pigmentosa. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012;53:501-7 pubmed publisher..This large-animal model can serve as a novel tool for the study of the pathogenesis and therapeutic intervention in the most common form of adRP...
- Gibson Corley K, Boggiatto P, Bockenstedt M, Petersen C, Waldschmidt T, Jones D. Promotion of a functional B cell germinal center response after Leishmania species co-infection is associated with lesion resolution. Am J Pathol. 2012;180:2009-17 pubmed publisher..These data support the idea that functional B cells are important for healing L. amazonensis in this infectious disease model. ..
- Zamanian M, Agbedanu P, Wheeler N, McVeigh P, Kimber M, Day T. Novel RNAi-mediated approach to G protein-coupled receptor deorphanization: proof of principle and characterization of a planarian 5-HT receptor. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40787 pubmed publisher..Future work can help optimize and adapt this protocol for higher-throughput platforms as well as other phyla...
- Wesley I, Schroeder Tucker L. Recovery of Arcobacter spp. from nonlivestock species. J Zoo Wildl Med. 2011;42:508-12 pubmed..Together, these cases underscore the challenges to a clinical laboratory of identifying Arcobacter in cases which mimic vibrionic abortion or leptospirosis...
- Barnes C, Rasmussen S, Petrich J, Rasmussen M. Determination of the concentration of potential efflux pump inhibitors, pheophorbide a and pyropheophorbide a, in the feces of animals by fluorescence spectroscopy. J Agric Food Chem. 2012;60:10456-60 pubmed publisher..5 μg/mL). The natural presence EPIs in the gastrointestinal tract may modulate the activity of microbial efflux pumps and exert selection pressure upon resident microbial populations. ..
- Frana T, Beahm A, Hanson B, Kinyon J, Layman L, Karriker L, et al. Isolation and characterization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from pork farms and visiting veterinary students. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e53738 pubmed publisher..The most common spa types found in this study were associated with ST5 and expands the range of livestock-associated MRSA types. ..
- Logue C, Barbieri N, Nielsen D. Pathogens of Food Animals: Sources, Characteristics, Human Risk, and Methods of Detection. Adv Food Nutr Res. 2017;82:277-365 pubmed publisher..The influence of the global economy, the movement of people, and food makes understanding production animal-associated disease paramount to being able to address new diseases as they arise. ..
- Kang X, Liu Y, Zhang J, Xu Q, Liu C, Fang M. Characteristics and Expression Profile of KRT71 Screened by Suppression Subtractive Hybridization cDNA Library in Curly Fleece Chinese Tan Sheep. DNA Cell Biol. 2017;36:552-564 pubmed publisher..These studies on KRT71 gene revealed some mechanisms underlying the relationship between the KRT71 gene and the curly fleece phenotype of Tan sheep. ..
- Thacker E, Halbur P, Ross R, Thanawongnuwech R, Thacker B. Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae potentiation of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus-induced pneumonia. J Clin Microbiol. 1999;37:620-7 pubmed
- Brockmeier S, Register K, Magyar T, Lax A, Pullinger G, Kunkle R. Role of the dermonecrotic toxin of Bordetella bronchiseptica in the pathogenesis of respiratory disease in swine. Infect Immun. 2002;70:481-90 pubmed..Therefore, production of DNT by B. bronchiseptica is necessary to produce the lesions of turbinate atrophy and bronchopneumonia in pigs infected with this organism...
- Waters W, Rahner T, Palmer M, Cheng D, Nonnecke B, Whipple D. Expression of L-Selectin (CD62L), CD44, and CD25 on activated bovine T cells. Infect Immun. 2003;71:317-26 pubmed..These alterations in surface molecule expression upon activation likely impact trafficking to sites of inflammation and the functional capacity of these cells within tuberculous granulomas. ..
- Dean Nystrom E, Melton Celsa A, Pohlenz J, Moon H, O Brien A. Comparative pathogenicity of Escherichia coli O157 and intimin-negative non-O157 Shiga toxin-producing E coli strains in neonatal pigs. Infect Immun. 2003;71:6526-33 pubmed
- Meyerholz D, Grubor B, Gallup J, Lehmkuhl H, Anderson R, Lazic T, et al. Adenovirus-mediated gene therapy enhances parainfluenza virus 3 infection in neonatal lambs. J Clin Microbiol. 2004;42:4780-7 pubmed..Additionally, this study showed that adenovirus-mediated HBD6 expression increases neutrophil recruitment, a recently described attribute of beta-defensins, with mild accentuation of PIV3 activity and inflammation. ..
- Rowe E, Jeftinija D, Jeftinija K, Jeftinija S. Development of functional neurons from postnatal stem cells in vitro. Stem Cells. 2005;23:1044-9 pubmed..These studies show that neural stem cells derived from adult tissues retain the potential to differentiate into functional neurons with morphological and functional properties of mature central nervous system neurons. ..
- Lerach S, Zhang W, Bao X, Deng H, Girton J, Johansen J, et al. Loss-of-function alleles of the JIL-1 kinase are strong suppressors of position effect variegation of the wm4 allele in Drosophila. Genetics. 2006;173:2403-6 pubmed
- Stoffregen W, Alt D, Palmer M, Olsen S, Waters W, Stasko J. Identification of a haemomycoplasma species in anemic reindeer (Rangifer tarandus). J Wildl Dis. 2006;42:249-58 pubmed..Although several animals were also infected with abomasal nematodes, the presence of this newly described haemomycoplasma may have contributed to the anemic syndrome. ..
- Qian H, Martin R, Robertson A. Pharmacology of N-, L-, and B-subtypes of nematode nAChR resolved at the single-channel level in Ascaris suum. FASEB J. 2006;20:2606-8 pubmed..These observations reveal that the three channel subtypes have different selectivity for cholinergic anthelmintics. The different selectivity of these compounds should be considered when dealing with drug resistant infections...
- Collyer M, Adams D. Analysis of two-state multivariate phenotypic change in ecological studies. Ecology. 2007;88:683-92 pubmed..Finally, we consider how our method may be extended to more complex data...
- Adams D. Organization of Plethodon salamander communities: guild-based community assembly. Ecology. 2007;88:1292-9 pubmed
- Smagghe B, Trent J, Hargrove M. NO dioxygenase activity in hemoglobins is ubiquitous in vitro, but limited by reduction in vivo. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2039 pubmed publisher..Hence, future research to test the role of Hbs in NO scavenging would benefit more from the identification of cognate reductases than from in vitro analysis of NO and O(2) binding. ..
- Grozdanic S, Kecova H, Harper M, Nilaweera W, Kuehn M, Kardon R. Functional and structural changes in a canine model of hereditary primary angle-closure glaucoma. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:255-63 pubmed publisher..Canine hereditary angle-closure glaucoma is characterized by a progressive increase in intraocular pressure, loss of optic nerve function, and retinal ganglion cell loss. ..
- Opriessnig T, Prickett J, Madson D, Shen H, Juhan N, Pogranichniy R, et al. Porcine circovirus type 2 (PCV2)-infection and re-inoculation with homologous or heterologous strains: virological, serological, pathological and clinical effects in growing pigs. Vet Res. 2010;41:31 pubmed publisher..In the current study, pigs had extended viremia combined with detectable tissue PCV2 antigen levels despite the presence of high levels of anti-PCV2 antibody; however, no clinical disease was observed. ..
- Zhang X, Rizshsky L, Hauck C, Qu L, Widrlechner M, Nikolau B, et al. Bauer ketones 23 and 24 from Echinacea paradoxa var. paradoxa inhibit lipopolysaccharide-induced nitric oxide, prostaglandin E2 and cytokines in RAW264.7 mouse macrophages. Phytochemistry. 2012;74:146-58 pubmed publisher..These results provide a rationale for exploring the medicinal effects of the Bauer ketone-rich taxon, E. paradoxa var. paradoxa, and confirm the anti-inflammatory properties of Bauer ketones 23 and 24. ..
- Nicholson T, Brockmeier S, Loving C, Register K, Kehrli M, Stibitz S, et al. Phenotypic modulation of the virulent Bvg phase is not required for pathogenesis and transmission of Bordetella bronchiseptica in swine. Infect Immun. 2012;80:1025-36 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results demonstrate that the Bvg(+) phase is sufficient for respiratory infection and host-to-host transmission of B. bronchiseptica in swine. ..
- Luo Y, Sahin O, Dai L, Sippy R, Wu Z, Zhang Q. Development of a loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for rapid, sensitive and specific detection of a Campylobacter jejuni clone. J Vet Med Sci. 2012;74:591-6 pubmed..jejuni strains. Since clone SA is the predominant cause of sheep abortions in the U.S. and is a zoonotic pathogen, the LAMP assay may be a valuable detection tool in future epidemiological studies. ..
- Gimenez Lirola L, Xiao C, Halbur P, Opriessnig T. Development and evaluation of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay based on a recombinant SpaA protein (rSpaA415) for detection of anti-Erysipelothrix spp. IgG antibodies in pigs. J Microbiol Methods. 2012;91:191-7 pubmed publisher..rhusiopathiae in infected or vaccinated pigs without cross-reacting with the economically less important E. tonsillarum strains...
- Pogge D, Lonergan S, Hansen S. Influence of supplemental vitamin C on postmortem protein degradation and fatty acid profiles of the longissimus thoracis of steers fed varying concentrations of dietary sulfur. Meat Sci. 2014;96:956-63 pubmed publisher..Increasing S decreased troponin T degradation (P = 0.07) and protein carbonylation (P<0.01). Supplemental VC appears to alleviate negative effects of high S on autolysis of ?-calpain and protein degradation. ..
- Moore S, West Greenlee M, Kondru N, Manne S, Smith J, Kunkle R, et al. Experimental Transmission of the Chronic Wasting Disease Agent to Swine after Oral or Intracranial Inoculation. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Regardless, positive results obtained with orally inoculated pigs suggest that it may be possible for swine to serve as a reservoir for prion disease under natural conditions. ..
- Birt D, Przybyszewski J, Wang W, Stewart J, Liu Y. Identification of molecular targets for dietary energy restriction prevention of skin carcinogenesis: an idea cultivated by Edward Bresnick. J Cell Biochem. 2004;91:258-64 pubmed..Studies are ongoing to further assess the mechanism of DER modulation of skin cancer by assessing impacts on transcriptional regulation and expression of genes that are critical in skin carcinogenesis. ..
- Kim K, Thomsen H, Bastiaansen J, Nguyen N, Dekkers J, Plastow G, et al. Investigation of obesity candidate genes on porcine fat deposition quantitative trait loci regions. Obes Res. 2004;12:1981-94 pubmed
- Brockmeier S, Loving C, Vorwald A, Kehrli M, Baker R, Nicholson T, et al. Genomic sequence and virulence comparison of four Type 2 porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus strains. Virus Res. 2012;169:212-21 pubmed publisher..S. Type 2 strains still exhibit variability in sequence and pathogenicity and although PRRSV strains appear to be reducing the size of the nsp2 over time, this does not necessarily mean that the strain is more virulent. ..
- Jankowiak R, Zamzow D, Stack D, Todorovic R, Cavalieri E, Small G. Spectral characterization of fluorescently labeled catechol estrogen 3,4-quinone-derived N7 guanine adducts and their identification in rat mammary gland tissue. Chem Res Toxicol. 1998;11:1339-45 pubmed..The depurinating adduct formed is 4-OHE2-1-N7Gua. ..
- Everett K, Kahane S, Bush R, Friedman M. An unspliced group I intron in 23S rRNA links Chlamydiales, chloroplasts, and mitochondria. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:4734-40 pubmed..The unspliced 658-nt intron is the first group I intron to be found in bacterial rDNA or rRNA, and it may delay the S. negevensis developmental replication cycle by affecting ribosomal function. ..
- Ewalt D, Bricker B. Validation of the abbreviated Brucella AMOS PCR as a rapid screening method for differentiation of Brucella abortus field strain isolates and the vaccine strains, 19 and RB51. J Clin Microbiol. 2000;38:3085-6 pubmed..abortus bv. 4, and 22 identified as B. abortus S2308 and isolated from experimentally infected cattle. The Brucella AMOS PCR correctly identified each isolate as RB51/S2308, S19, or a field strain of Brucella. ..
- Borza T, Iancu C, Pike E, Honzatko R, Fromm H. Variations in the response of mouse isozymes of adenylosuccinate synthetase to inhibitors of physiological relevance. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:6673-9 pubmed..Fructose 1,6-bisphosphate and IMP together may be dynamic regulators of the basic isozyme in muscle, causing potent inhibition of the synthetase under conditions of high AMP deaminase activity. ..
- Weiland T, Kundu S, Trent J, Hoy J, Hargrove M. Bis-histidyl hexacoordination in hemoglobins facilitates heme reduction kinetics. J Am Chem Soc. 2004;126:11930-5 pubmed..These results can be explained by differences in the reorganization energy for reduction between hexacoordinate and pentacoordinate hemoglobins. ..
- Zhou H, Mitchell A, McMurtry J, Ashwell C, Lamont S. Insulin-like growth factor-I gene polymorphism associations with growth, body composition, skeleton integrity, and metabolic traits in chickens. Poult Sci. 2005;84:212-9 pubmed
- Joseph R, Min L, Andreotti A. The linker between SH2 and kinase domains positively regulates catalysis of the Tec family kinases. Biochemistry. 2007;46:5455-62 pubmed..These findings indicate that Tec kinases are not regulated in the same manner as the Src kinases but rather share some of the regulatory features of Csk instead. ..
- Stanton T, Humphrey S, Bayles D, Zuerner R. Identification of a divided genome for VSH-1, the prophage-like gene transfer agent of Brachyspira hyodysenteriae. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:1719-21 pubmed publisher..6-kb cluster. The location and transcription direction of these genes relative to those of the previously described VSH-1 16.3-kb gene operon indicate that the gene transfer agent VSH-1 has a noncontiguous, divided genome. ..
- Coates B, Sumerford D, Hellmich R, Lewis L. Mining an Ostrinia nubilalis midgut expressed sequence tag (EST) library for candidate genes and single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs). Insect Mol Biol. 2008;17:607-20 pubmed publisher..This O. nubilalis larval midgut EST collection is a resource for gene discovery, expression information, and allelic variation for use in genetic marker development...
- Sparkman A, Vleck C, Bronikowski A. Evolutionary ecology of endocrine-mediated life-history variation in the garter snake Thamnophis elegans. Ecology. 2009;90:720-8 pubmed..These findings are discussed in the context of theoretical expectations for a tradeoff between reproduction and lifespan that is mediated by pleiotropic endocrine mechanisms...
- Bannantine J, Paulson A, Chacon O, Fenton R, Zinniel D, McVey D, et al. Immunogenicity and reactivity of novel Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis PPE MAP1152 and conserved MAP1156 proteins with sera from experimentally and naturally infected animals. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2011;18:105-12 pubmed publisher..These findings have potential applications to diagnostics, vaccine production, and elucidation of the immunopathogenesis of JD. ..
- Carrillo Conde B, Song E, Chavez Santoscoy A, Phanse Y, Ramer Tait A, Pohl N, et al. Mannose-functionalized "pathogen-like" polyanhydride nanoparticles target C-type lectin receptors on dendritic cells. Mol Pharm. 2011;8:1877-86 pubmed publisher..These studies provide valuable insights into the rational design of targeted nanovaccine platforms to induce robust immune responses and improve vaccine efficacy...
- Kudva I, Dean Nystrom E. Bovine recto-anal junction squamous epithelial (RSE) cell adhesion assay for studying Escherichia coli O157 adherence. J Appl Microbiol. 2011;111:1283-94 pubmed publisher..The RSE cell adhesion assay further has the potential for extrapolation to diverse bacteria, including food-borne pathogens that colonize cattle via adherence to this particular anatomical site. ..
- PLUMMER P, Sahin O, Burrough E, Sippy R, Mou K, Rabenold J, et al. Critical role of LuxS in the virulence of Campylobacter jejuni in a guinea pig model of abortion. Infect Immun. 2012;80:585-93 pubmed publisher..These studies provide the first direct evidence that LuxS plays an important role in the virulence of C. jejuni using an in vivo model of natural disease...
- Gimenez Lirola L, Xiao C, Halbur P, Opriessnig T. Development of a novel fluorescent microbead-based immunoassay and comparison with three enzyme-linked immunoassays for detection of anti-Erysipelothrix spp. IgG antibodies in pigs with known and unknown exposure. J Microbiol Methods. 2012;91:73-9 pubmed publisher..The rSpaA415 FMIA has great potential as an inexpensive ELISA alternative for detection of antibodies against E. rhusiopathiae in the future...
- Tsai I, Zarowiecki M, Holroyd N, Garciarrubio A, Sanchez Flores A, Brooks K, et al. The genomes of four tapeworm species reveal adaptations to parasitism. Nature. 2013;496:57-63 pubmed publisher..We identify new potential drug targets, including some on which existing pharmaceuticals may act. The genomes provide a rich resource to underpin the development of urgently needed treatments and control...
- Wang C, Yao C, Li Y, Cai W, Bao X, Girton J, et al. Evidence against a role for the JIL-1 kinase in H3S28 phosphorylation and 14-3-3 recruitment to active genes in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62484 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results argue strongly against a model where JIL-1 is required for H3S28 phosphorylation and 14-3-3 recruitment at active genes. ..
- Gao Y, Iancu C, Mukind S, Choe J, Honzatko R. Mechanism of displacement of a catalytically essential loop from the active site of mammalian fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase. Biochemistry. 2013;52:5206-16 pubmed publisher..The results of the simulations and crystal structures are in agreement: subunit-pair rotations just short of the canonical T state coupled with high-amplitude modes sterically displace the dynamic loop from the active site. ..
- Falcy M, Danielson B. A complex relationship between moonlight and temperature on the foraging behavior of the Alabama beach mouse. Ecology. 2013;94:2632-7 pubmed..Signals in GUDs can reveal complex effects of optimal foraging at multiple trophic levels, which is especially informative when direct measurement of taxonomic sources of predation is not feasible. ..
- Shuster D, Kehrli M, Rainard P, Paape M. Complement fragment C5a and inflammatory cytokines in neutrophil recruitment during intramammary infection with Escherichia coli. Infect Immun. 1997;65:3286-92 pubmed..The early and intense production of C5a indicates that this chemoattractant may be more important than IL-8 during the initial recruitment and activation of neutrophils to a developing E. coli infection. ..
- Thacker E, Thacker B, Janke B. Interaction between Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae and swine influenza virus. J Clin Microbiol. 2001;39:2525-30 pubmed..hyopneumoniae and PRRSV. These findings demonstrate that the relationship between mycoplasmas and viruses varies with the individual agent. ..
- Goff J, Horst R. Milk fever control in the United States. Acta Vet Scand Suppl. 2003;97:145-7 pubmed..About 27% of dairy farms feed dry cows a diet with added anions to induce a compensated metabolic acidosis which has proved effective in reducing subclinical hypocalcemia. These diets are often high in calcium...
- Khalifeh M, Stabel J. Effects of gamma interferon, interleukin-10, and transforming growth factor beta on the survival of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis in monocyte-derived macrophages from naturally infected cattle. Infect Immun. 2004;72:1974-82 pubmed..avium subsp. paratuberculosis that may be directly related to their effects on macrophage activation and killing of M. avium subsp. paratuberculosis. ..
- Waters W, Nonnecke B, Palmer M, Robbe Austermann S, Bannantine J, Stabel J, et al. Use of recombinant ESAT-6:CFP-10 fusion protein for differentiation of infections of cattle by Mycobacterium bovis and by M. avium subsp. avium and M. avium subsp. paratuberculosis. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 2004;11:729-35 pubmed..avium subsp. paratuberculosis, it appears that use of the rESAT-6:CFP-10 fusion protein will be useful for the detection of tuberculous cattle in herds with pre-existing sensitization to M. avium and/or M. avium subsp. paratuberculosis. ..
- Schmitt B. Veterinary diagnostic laboratories and their support role for Veterinary Services. Rev Sci Tech. 2003;22:533-6 pubmed
- Johansen K, Johansen J. Regulation of chromatin structure by histone H3S10 phosphorylation. Chromosome Res. 2006;14:393-404 pubmed
- Tinfo N, Komar C. Potential role for peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma in regulating luteal lifespan in the rat. Reproduction. 2007;133:187-96 pubmed..These data indicate that PPARgamma is not a major player in luteal progesterone production or metabolism but may be involved in regulating luteal lifespan. ..
- Yakes B, Lipert R, Bannantine J, Porter M. Impact of protein shedding on detection of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis by a whole-cell immunoassay incorporating surface-enhanced Raman scattering. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2008;15:235-42 pubmed..avium subsp. paratuberculosis that may also be applicable to the design of a wide range of highly sensitive assays for other cells and viruses. ..
- Dahlin Laborde R, Scolaro E, Romine N, Ramer Tait A, Lei S, Beetham J. Characterization of DNA sequences that confer complement resistance in Leishmania chagasi. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008;1149:347-51 pubmed publisher..We also report the sequence determination and initial CML-resistance activity of another cosmid that also confers partial resistance to CML. ..
- Kim Y, Huff Lonergan E, Sebranek J, Lonergan S. High-oxygen modified atmosphere packaging system induces lipid and myoglobin oxidation and protein polymerization. Meat Sci. 2010;85:759-67 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the HiOx-MAP system may negatively affect meat quality characteristics by inducing lipid and myoglobin oxidation and cross-linking/aggregation of myosin by protein oxidation. ..
- Olivier A, Gallup J, Van Geelen A, Ackermann M. Exogenous administration of vascular endothelial growth factor prior to human respiratory syncytial virus a2 infection reduces pulmonary pathology in neonatal lambs and alters epithelial innate immune responses. Exp Lung Res. 2011;37:131-43 pubmed publisher
- Kudva I, Griffin R, Krastins B, Sarracino D, Calderwood S, John M. Proteins other than the locus of enterocyte effacement-encoded proteins contribute to Escherichia coli O157:H7 adherence to bovine rectoanal junction stratified squamous epithelial cells. BMC Microbiol. 2012;12:103 pubmed publisher..Ongoing experiments to evaluate their role in RSE adherence should provide both valuable insights into the O157-RSE interactions and new targets for more efficacious anti-adhesion O157 vaccines. ..