Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on plant gene expression regulation in West Lafayette, Indiana, United States
Locale: West Lafayette, Indiana, United States
Topic: plant gene expression regulation
- Kim D, Gustin J, Lahner B, Persans M, Baek D, Yun D, et al. The plant CDF family member TgMTP1 from the Ni/Zn hyperaccumulator Thlaspi goesingense acts to enhance efflux of Zn at the plasma membrane when expressed in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Plant J. 2004;39:237-51 pubmed..cerevisiae. Transient expression in Arabidopsis thaliana protoplasts also reveals that TgMTP1::green fluorescent protein (GFP) is localized at the plasma membrane, suggesting that TgMTP1 may also enhance Zn efflux in plants...
- Chen X, Goodwin S, Boroff V, Liu X, Jenks M. Cloning and characterization of the WAX2 gene of Arabidopsis involved in cuticle membrane and wax production. Plant Cell. 2003;15:1170-85 pubmed..These studies provide new insight into the genetics and biochemistry of plant cuticle production and elucidate new associations between the cuticle and diverse aspects of plant development. ..
- Entus R, Poling M, Herrmann K. Redox regulation of Arabidopsis 3-deoxy-D-arabino-heptulosonate 7-phosphate synthase. Plant Physiol. 2002;129:1866-71 pubmed..These results indicate that the first enzyme in the shikimate pathway of Arabidopsis appears to be regulated by the ferredoxin/TRX redox control of the chloroplast. ..
- Ruegger M, Meyer K, Cusumano J, Chapple C. Regulation of ferulate-5-hydroxylase expression in Arabidopsis in the context of sinapate ester biosynthesis. Plant Physiol. 1999;119:101-10 pubmed..In contrast, the positive regulatory function of the downstream region is not required for F5H transcript or sinapoylcholine accumulation in embryos. ..
- Liu C, Muchhal U, Uthappa M, Kononowicz A, Raghothama K. Tomato phosphate transporter genes are differentially regulated in plant tissues by phosphorus. Plant Physiol. 1998;116:91-9 pubmed..Divided root-system studies support the hypothesis that signal(s) for the Pi-starvation response may arise internally because of the changes in cellular concentration of phosphorus. ..
- Zhao Y, Botella M, Subramanian L, Niu X, Nielsen S, Bressan R, et al. Two wound-inducible soybean cysteine proteinase inhibitors have greater insect digestive proteinase inhibitory activities than a constitutive homolog. Plant Physiol. 1996;111:1299-306 pubmed
- Freeman J, Salt D. The metal tolerance profile of Thlaspi goesingense is mimicked in Arabidopsis thaliana heterologously expressing serine acetyl-transferase. BMC Plant Biol. 2007;7:63 pubmed..We previously observed that elevated glutathione, driven by constitutive activation of serine acetyltransferase (SAT), plays a role in the Ni tolerance of T. goesingense...
- Baldwin J, Karthikeyan A, Raghothama K. LEPS2, a phosphorus starvation-induced novel acid phosphatase from tomato. Plant Physiol. 2001;125:728-37 pubmed..The bacterially (Escherichia coli) expressed protein exhibits phosphatase activity against the synthetic substrate p-nitrophenyl phosphate. The pH optimum of the enzyme activity suggests that LePS2 is an acid phosphatase. ..
- Sinlapadech T, Stout J, Ruegger M, Deak M, Chapple C. The hyper-fluorescent trichome phenotype of the brt1 mutant of Arabidopsis is the result of a defect in a sinapic acid: UDPG glucosyltransferase. Plant J. 2007;49:655-68 pubmed
- Liu S, Jiang Y. Identification of differentially expressed genes under drought stress in perennial ryegrass. Physiol Plant. 2010;139:375-87 pubmed publisher..They can be used as candidate genes in examining nucleotide polymorphisms and conducting the association analysis of genes with drought tolerance...
- Varadarajan J, Guilleminot J, Saint Jore Dupas C, Piegu B, Chaboute M, Gomord V, et al. ATR3 encodes a diflavin reductase essential for Arabidopsis embryo development. New Phytol. 2010;187:67-82 pubmed publisher..Together these results demonstrated that ATR3 belongs to the NR1 subfamily of diflavin reductases whose characterized members are involved in essential cellular functions. ..
- Hwang H, Gelvin S. Plant proteins that interact with VirB2, the Agrobacterium tumefaciens pilin protein, mediate plant transformation. Plant Cell. 2004;16:3148-67 pubmed publisher..We propose that the three BTI proteins and AtRAB8 are involved in the initial interaction of Agrobacterium with plant cells...
- Chen K, Fan B, Du L, Chen Z. Activation of hypersensitive cell death by pathogen-induced receptor-like protein kinases from Arabidopsis. Plant Mol Biol. 2004;56:271-83 pubmed..Interactions of CRKs with these three proteins in vivo were demonstrated through co-immunoprecipitation. These CRK-interacting proteins may play roles in the regulation and signaling of CRKs. ..
- Szymanski D. Breaking the WAVE complex: the point of Arabidopsis trichomes. Curr Opin Plant Biol. 2005;8:103-12 pubmed..Recent results from several groups indicate that 'distorted group' genes encode subunits of the actin-related protein (Arp)2/3 and WAVE complexes, and function in a cell morphogenesis pathway. ..
- Chintamanani S, Multani D, Ruess H, Johal G. Distinct mechanisms govern the dosage-dependent and developmentally regulated resistance conferred by the maize Hm2 gene. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2008;21:79-86 pubmed publisher..Thus, different mechanisms seem to underlie the developmentally programmed versus the partially dominant resistance phenotype of Hm2...
- Xu X, Chen C, Fan B, Chen Z. Physical and functional interactions between pathogen-induced Arabidopsis WRKY18, WRKY40, and WRKY60 transcription factors. Plant Cell. 2006;18:1310-26 pubmed..cinerea. These results indicate that the three WRKY proteins interact both physically and functionally in a complex pattern of overlapping, antagonistic, and distinct roles in plant responses to different types of microbial pathogens. ..
- Yoo C, Miura K, Jin J, Lee J, Park H, Salt D, et al. SIZ1 small ubiquitin-like modifier E3 ligase facilitates basal thermotolerance in Arabidopsis independent of salicylic acid. Plant Physiol. 2006;142:1548-58 pubmed..Together, these results indicate that SIZ1 and, by inference, sumoylation facilitate basal thermotolerance through processes that are SA independent. ..
- Maeda H, Shasany A, Schnepp J, Orlova I, Taguchi G, Cooper B, et al. RNAi suppression of Arogenate Dehydratase1 reveals that phenylalanine is synthesized predominantly via the arogenate pathway in petunia petals. Plant Cell. 2010;22:832-49 pubmed publisher..These results provide genetic evidence that Phe is synthesized predominantly via arogenate in petunia petals and uncover a novel posttranscriptional regulation of the shikimate pathway...
- Hemm M, Herrmann K, Chapple C. AtMYB4: a transcription factor general in the battle against UV. Trends Plant Sci. 2001;6:135-6 pubmed..AtMYB4 is thus a key regulator of phenylpropanoid pathway gene expression, and is the first example of a MYB protein that functions as a transcriptional repressor. ..
- Titapiwatanakun B, Blakeslee J, Bandyopadhyay A, Yang H, Mravec J, Sauer M, et al. ABCB19/PGP19 stabilises PIN1 in membrane microdomains in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2009;57:27-44 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that ABCB19 stabilises PIN1 localisation at the plasma membrane in discrete cellular subdomains where PIN1 and ABCB19 expression overlaps...
- Manabe Y, Bressan R, Wang T, Li F, Koiwa H, Sokolchik I, et al. The Arabidopsis kinase-associated protein phosphatase regulates adaptation to Na+ stress. Plant Physiol. 2008;146:612-22 pubmed..RLK pathway components, known to be modulated by NaCl at the messenger RNA level, are constitutively down-regulated in rag1-1 mutant plants. The effect of NaCl on their expression is not altered by the rag1-1 mutation. ..
- Orlova I, Nagegowda D, Kish C, Gutensohn M, Maeda H, Varbanova M, et al. The small subunit of snapdragon geranyl diphosphate synthase modifies the chain length specificity of tobacco geranylgeranyl diphosphate synthase in planta. Plant Cell. 2009;21:4002-17 pubmed publisher..These results provide genetic evidence that GPPS.SSU modifies the chain length specificity of phylogenetically distant GGPPS and can modulate IPP flux distribution between GPP and GGPP synthesis in planta...
- Bell Lelong D, Cusumano J, Meyer K, Chapple C. Cinnamate-4-hydroxylase expression in Arabidopsis. Regulation in response to development and the environment. Plant Physiol. 1997;113:729-38 pubmed..A modest increase in C4H expression was observed in the tt8 mutant of Arabidopsis. ..
- Tenea G, Spantzel J, Lee L, Zhu Y, Lin K, Johnson S, et al. Overexpression of several Arabidopsis histone genes increases agrobacterium-mediated transformation and transgene expression in plants. Plant Cell. 2009;21:3350-67 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that certain histones enhance transgene expression, protect incoming transgene DNA during the initial stages of transformation, and subsequently increase the efficiency of Agrobacterium-mediated transformation. ..
- Ray S, Anderson J, Urmeev F, Goodwin S. Rapid induction of a protein disulfide isomerase and defense-related genes in wheat in response to the hemibiotrophic fungal pathogen Mycosphaerella graminicola. Plant Mol Biol. 2003;53:701-14 pubmed publisher..Wheat responds much more rapidly than believed previously to signals produced by M.graminicola. These early responses begin prior to penetration of the host and appear to determine the outcome of the host-pathogen interaction...
- Madson M, Dunand C, Li X, Verma R, Vanzin G, Caplan J, et al. The MUR3 gene of Arabidopsis encodes a xyloglucan galactosyltransferase that is evolutionarily related to animal exostosins. Plant Cell. 2003;15:1662-70 pubmed
- Yi H, Sardesai N, Fujinuma T, Chan C, Veena -, Gelvin S. Constitutive expression exposes functional redundancy between the Arabidopsis histone H2A gene HTA1 and other H2A gene family members. Plant Cell. 2006;18:1575-89 pubmed..However, this functional redundancy is not normally evidenced because of the different expression patterns of the HTA genes. ..
- Kosma D, Bourdenx B, Bernard A, Parsons E, Lü S, Joubès J, et al. The impact of water deficiency on leaf cuticle lipids of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2009;151:1918-29 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results show that Arabidopsis provides an excellent model system to study the role of the cuticle in plant response to drought and related stresses, and its associated genetic and cellular regulation. ..
- Murphy A, Hoogner K, Peer W, Taiz L. Identification, purification, and molecular cloning of N-1-naphthylphthalmic acid-binding plasma membrane-associated aminopeptidases from Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2002;128:935-50 pubmed..AtAPM1 and AtAPP1 are encoded by single genes. In vitro translation products of ATAPM1 and AtAPP1 have enzymatic activities similar to those of native proteins. ..
- Zhu J, Shi H, Lee B, Damsz B, Cheng S, Stirm V, et al. An Arabidopsis homeodomain transcription factor gene, HOS9, mediates cold tolerance through a CBF-independent pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:9873-8 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that HOS9 is important for plant growth and development, and for a part of freezing tolerance, by affecting the activity of genes independent of the CBF pathway. ..
- Dhawan R, Luo H, Foerster A, Abuqamar S, Du H, Briggs S, et al. HISTONE MONOUBIQUITINATION1 interacts with a subunit of the mediator complex and regulates defense against necrotrophic fungal pathogens in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2009;21:1000-19 pubmed publisher..In sum, histone H2B monoubiquitination is an important chromatin modification with regulatory roles in plant defense against necrotrophic fungi most likely through modulation of gene expression. ..
- Dudareva N, Martin D, Kish C, Kolosova N, Gorenstein N, Fäldt J, et al. (E)-beta-ocimene and myrcene synthase genes of floral scent biosynthesis in snapdragon: function and expression of three terpene synthase genes of a new terpene synthase subfamily. Plant Cell. 2003;15:1227-41 pubmed..Analyses of tissue-specific, developmental, and rhythmic expression of these monoterpene synthase genes in snapdragon flowers revealed coordinated regulation of phenylpropanoid and isoprenoid scent production...
- Zhang H, Rider S, Henderson J, Fountain M, Chuang K, Kandachar V, et al. The CHD3 remodeler PICKLE promotes trimethylation of histone H3 lysine 27. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:22637-48 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our analyses illuminate a new pathway by which CHD3 remodelers contribute to repression in eukaryotes. ..
- Knöller A, Blakeslee J, Richards E, Peer W, Murphy A. Brachytic2/ZmABCB1 functions in IAA export from intercalary meristems. J Exp Bot. 2010;61:3689-96 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that ABCB1/BR2 function is conserved between dicots and monocots, but also suggests that this function must be understood in the context of the segmental organization of grass plants. ..
- Karthikeyan A, Ballachanda D, Raghothama K. Promoter deletion analysis elucidates the role of cis elements and 5'UTR intron in spatiotemporal regulation of AtPht1;4 expression in Arabidopsis. Physiol Plant. 2009;136:10-8 pubmed publisher..However, expression of AtPht1;4 in aerial parts of the plant was not influenced by the intron. Together these results suggest that expression of AtPht1;4 in the roots and aerial parts is regulated by independent mechanisms. ..
- Nair R, Bastress K, Ruegger M, Denault J, Chapple C. The Arabidopsis thaliana REDUCED EPIDERMAL FLUORESCENCE1 gene encodes an aldehyde dehydrogenase involved in ferulic acid and sinapic acid biosynthesis. Plant Cell. 2004;16:544-54 pubmed..This route is directly opposite to the traditional representation of phenylpropanoid metabolism in which hydroxycinnamic acids are instead precursors of their corresponding aldehydes. ..
- Varadarajan D, Karthikeyan A, Matilda P, Raghothama K. Phosphite, an analog of phosphate, suppresses the coordinated expression of genes under phosphate starvation. Plant Physiol. 2002;129:1232-40 pubmed..Synchronized suppression of multiple Pi starvation-induced genes by Phi points to its action on the early molecular events, probably signal transduction, in Pi starvation response...
- Huang J, Gu M, Lai Z, Fan B, Shi K, Zhou Y, et al. Functional analysis of the Arabidopsis PAL gene family in plant growth, development, and response to environmental stress. Plant Physiol. 2010;153:1526-38 pubmed publisher..These results provide further evidence for both distinct and overlapping roles of the Arabidopsis PAL genes in plant growth, development, and responses to environmental stresses. ..
- Li H, Chuang K, Henderson J, Rider S, Bai Y, Zhang H, et al. PICKLE acts during germination to repress expression of embryonic traits. Plant J. 2005;44:1010-22 pubmed..Thus, PKL acts at multiple points during development to regulate patterns of gene expression in Arabidopsis. ..
- Kim J, Sharkhuu A, Jin J, Li P, Jeong J, Baek D, et al. yucca6, a dominant mutation in Arabidopsis, affects auxin accumulation and auxin-related phenotypes. Plant Physiol. 2007;145:722-35 pubmed..Taken together, our results identify YUCCA6 as a functional member of the YUCCA family with unique roles in growth and development. ..
- Lü S, Song T, Kosma D, Parsons E, Rowland O, Jenks M. Arabidopsis CER8 encodes LONG-CHAIN ACYL-COA SYNTHETASE 1 (LACS1) that has overlapping functions with LACS2 in plant wax and cutin synthesis. Plant J. 2009;59:553-64 pubmed publisher..As such, LACS1 defines a functionally novel acyl-CoA synthetase that preferentially modifies both VLCFAs for wax synthesis and long-chain (C(16)) fatty acids for cutin synthesis...
- Gustin J, Loureiro M, Kim D, Na G, Tikhonova M, Salt D. MTP1-dependent Zn sequestration into shoot vacuoles suggests dual roles in Zn tolerance and accumulation in Zn-hyperaccumulating plants. Plant J. 2009;57:1116-27 pubmed publisher..goesingense play a role in both Zn tolerance and enhanced Zn uptake and accumulation, via the activation of a systemic Zn deficiency response...
- Abuqamar S, Chen X, Dhawan R, Bluhm B, Salmeron J, Lam S, et al. Expression profiling and mutant analysis reveals complex regulatory networks involved in Arabidopsis response to Botrytis infection. Plant J. 2006;48:28-44 pubmed
- Abuqamar S, Chai M, Luo H, Song F, Mengiste T. Tomato protein kinase 1b mediates signaling of plant responses to necrotrophic fungi and insect herbivory. Plant Cell. 2008;20:1964-83 pubmed publisher..In sum, our findings establish a signaling role for TPK1b in an ET-mediated shared defense mechanism for resistance to necrotrophic fungi and herbivorous insects. ..
- Stout J, Romero Severson E, Ruegger M, Chapple C. Semidominant mutations in reduced epidermal fluorescence 4 reduce phenylpropanoid content in Arabidopsis. Genetics. 2008;178:2237-51 pubmed publisher..Further, a suppressor mutant was isolated that abolishes a WW protein-protein interaction domain that may be important for REF4 function. ..
- Witmer X, Alvarez Venegas R, San Miguel P, Danilevskaya O, Avramova Z. Putative subunits of the maize origin of replication recognition complex ZmORC1-ZmORC5. Nucleic Acids Res. 2003;31:619-28 pubmed..The isolation and molecular characterization of an ORC4-homologous gene from maize argues that, in its evolution, Arabidopsis may have lost the homologous ORC4 gene. ..
- Peer W, Hosein F, Bandyopadhyay A, Makam S, Otegui M, Lee G, et al. Mutation of the membrane-associated M1 protease APM1 results in distinct embryonic and seedling developmental defects in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2009;21:1693-721 pubmed publisher..The auxin-related phenotypes and mislocalization of auxin efflux proteins in apm1 are consistent with biochemical interactions between APM1 and NPA. ..
- Gong Z, Koiwa H, Cushman M, Ray A, Bufford D, Kore eda S, et al. Genes that are uniquely stress regulated in salt overly sensitive (sos) mutants. Plant Physiol. 2001;126:363-75 pubmed..The pivotal function of the SOS signal pathway to mediate ion homeostasis and salt tolerance implicates AD06C08/unknown, VSP2, SAMT, 6.6/KIN2, STZ, and CCR1 as determinates that are involved in salt adaptation. ..