Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on phosphates in West Lafayette, Indiana, United States
Locale: West Lafayette, Indiana, United States
- Noe S, Green M, HogenEsch H, Hem S. Mechanism of immunopotentiation by aluminum-containing adjuvants elucidated by the relationship between antigen retention at the inoculation site and the immune response. Vaccine. 2010;28:3588-94 pubmed publisher..The presence of an aluminum-containing adjuvant was essential for immunopotentiation, but retention of the antigen at the inoculation site was not required...
- Metcalf W, Steed P, Wanner B. Identification of phosphate starvation-inducible genes in Escherichia coli K-12 by DNA sequence analysis of psi::lacZ(Mu d1) transcriptional fusions. J Bacteriol. 1990;172:3191-200 pubmed..psiE and psiF::lacZ(Mu d1)s lie in uncharacterized open reading frames near the xylE and phoA genes, respectively. Six other psi::lacZ(Mu d1)s lie in yet unreported Escherichia coli sequences. ..
- Varadarajan D, Karthikeyan A, Matilda P, Raghothama K. Phosphite, an analog of phosphate, suppresses the coordinated expression of genes under phosphate starvation. Plant Physiol. 2002;129:1232-40 pubmed..Synchronized suppression of multiple Pi starvation-induced genes by Phi points to its action on the early molecular events, probably signal transduction, in Pi starvation response...
- Steed P, Wanner B. Use of the rep technique for allele replacement to construct mutants with deletions of the pstSCAB-phoU operon: evidence of a new role for the PhoU protein in the phosphate regulon. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:6797-809 pubmed..Further, our results contradict those of M. Muda, N. N. Rao, and A. Torriani (J. Bacteriol. 174:8057-8064, 1992), who reported that the PhoU protein was required for Pi uptake. ..
- Zhang M, Zhou M, Van Etten R, Stauffacher C. Crystal structure of bovine low molecular weight phosphotyrosyl phosphatase complexed with the transition state analog vanadate. Biochemistry. 1997;36:15-23 pubmed..The structure of the vanadate complex may be expected to closely resemble the transition state for reactions catalyzed by protein tyrosine phosphatases. ..
- Gumaelius L, Lahner B, Salt D, Banks J. Arsenic hyperaccumulation in gametophytes of Pteris vittata. A new model system for analysis of arsenic hyperaccumulation. Plant Physiol. 2004;136:3198-208 pubmed..vittata using gametophytes as an easily manipulated model system...
- Metcalf W, Wanner B. Involvement of the Escherichia coli phn (psiD) gene cluster in assimilation of phosphorus in the form of phosphonates, phosphite, Pi esters, and Pi. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:587-600 pubmed..Furthermore, our discovery of Pi-regulated genes for the assimilation of reduced P suggests that a P redox cycle may be important in biology. ..
- Wanner B, Chang B. The phoBR operon in Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1987;169:5569-74 pubmed..Unexpectedly, an antisense pho omega Mu d1(lacZ) insertion within the promoter-proximal end of the phoB gene expressed the lacZ reporter gene, thus allowing for the possibility that the phoBR operon is regulated by an antisense RNA. ..
- Miura K, Rus A, Sharkhuu A, Yokoi S, Karthikeyan A, Raghothama K, et al. The Arabidopsis SUMO E3 ligase SIZ1 controls phosphate deficiency responses. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:7760-5 pubmed..These results indicate that AtSIZ1 is a SUMO E3 ligase and that sumoylation is a control mechanism that acts both negatively and positively on different Pi deficiency responses. ..
- Ramaiah M, Jain A, Baldwin J, Karthikeyan A, Raghothama K. Characterization of the phosphate starvation-induced glycerol-3-phosphate permease gene family in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2011;157:279-91 pubmed publisher..A 9-fold induction of AtG3Pp3 in the mutant provided some evidence for a lack of functional redundancy in the gene family. These results thus reflect differential roles of members of the G3Pp family in the maintenance of Pi homeostasis. ..
- Devaiah B, Madhuvanthi R, Karthikeyan A, Raghothama K. Phosphate starvation responses and gibberellic acid biosynthesis are regulated by the MYB62 transcription factor in Arabidopsis. Mol Plant. 2009;2:43-58 pubmed publisher..Such cross-talk between Pi homeostasis and GA might have broader implications on flowering, root development and adaptive mechanisms during nutrient stress. ..
- Wanner B. Gene regulation by phosphate in enteric bacteria. J Cell Biochem. 1993;51:47-54 pubmed..Cross regulation of the PHO regulon by CreC and acetyl phosphate may be examples of underlying control mechanisms important for the general (global) control of cell growth and metabolism. ..
- Cao A, Jain A, Baldwin J, Raghothama K. Phosphate differentially regulates 14-3-3 family members and GRF9 plays a role in Pi-starvation induced responses. Planta. 2007;226:1219-30 pubmed
- Devaiah B, Nagarajan V, Raghothama K. Phosphate homeostasis and root development in Arabidopsis are synchronized by the zinc finger transcription factor ZAT6. Plant Physiol. 2007;145:147-59 pubmed..To our knowledge, ZAT6 is the first cysteine-2/histidine-2 zinc finger transcription factor reported to regulate root development and nutrient stress responses. ..
- Shi Y, HogenEsch H, Regnier F, Hem S. Detoxification of endotoxin by aluminum hydroxide adjuvant. Vaccine. 2001;19:1747-52 pubmed..Aluminum hydroxide adjuvant detoxifies endotoxin by adsorbing it in the vaccine and then not releasing it in interstitial fluid upon administration...
- Baldwin J, Karthikeyan A, Raghothama K. LEPS2, a phosphorus starvation-induced novel acid phosphatase from tomato. Plant Physiol. 2001;125:728-37 pubmed..The bacterially (Escherichia coli) expressed protein exhibits phosphatase activity against the synthetic substrate p-nitrophenyl phosphate. The pH optimum of the enzyme activity suggests that LePS2 is an acid phosphatase. ..
- Haldimann A, Daniels L, Wanner B. Use of new methods for construction of tightly regulated arabinose and rhamnose promoter fusions in studies of the Escherichia coli phosphate regulon. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:1277-86 pubmed..The growth defect is apparently a consequence of high-level Pst synthesis resulting from autogenous control of PhoB and PhoR synthesis in the absence of PhoU. ..
- Wanner B. Genes for phosphonate biodegradation in Escherichia coli. SAAS Bull Biochem Biotechnol. 1992;5:1-6 pubmed..These interpretations are based on results from a combination of molecular genetic and molecular biological studies on phosphonate metabolism in E. coli. ..
- Saddoris K, Fleet J, Radcliffe J. Sodium-dependent phosphate uptake in the jejunum is post-transcriptionally regulated in pigs fed a low-phosphorus diet and is independent of dietary calcium concentration. J Nutr. 2010;140:731-6 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that restricting dietary aP concentration by only 43% stimulates Na(+)-dependent phosphate uptake and expression of the NaPi-IIb protein in the BBM of the small intestine and through a post-transcriptional mechanism. ..
- Wanner B, Wilmes Riesenberg M. Involvement of phosphotransacetylase, acetate kinase, and acetyl phosphate synthesis in control of the phosphate regulon in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:2124-30 pubmed..Further, it provides a functional basis for the concept of cross-regulation in the PHO regulon. This is also the first evidence that acetyl phosphate may have a role as an effector of gene regulation. ..
- Devaiah B, Karthikeyan A, Raghothama K. WRKY75 transcription factor is a modulator of phosphate acquisition and root development in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2007;143:1789-801 pubmed..WRKY75 is the first member of the WRKY transcription factor family reported to be involved in regulating a nutrient starvation response and root development. ..
- Liu C, Muchhal U, Uthappa M, Kononowicz A, Raghothama K. Tomato phosphate transporter genes are differentially regulated in plant tissues by phosphorus. Plant Physiol. 1998;116:91-9 pubmed..Divided root-system studies support the hypothesis that signal(s) for the Pi-starvation response may arise internally because of the changes in cellular concentration of phosphorus. ..
- Jiang W, Metcalf W, Lee K, Wanner B. Molecular cloning, mapping, and regulation of Pho regulon genes for phosphonate breakdown by the phosphonatase pathway of Salmonella typhimurium LT2. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:6411-21 pubmed..Complementation studies indicate that the S. typhimurium phn locus probably includes genes both for phosphonate transport and for catalysis of C-P bond cleavage. ..
- Baldwin J, Karthikeyan A, Cao A, Raghothama K. Biochemical and molecular analysis of LePS2;1: a phosphate starvation induced protein phosphatase gene from tomato. Planta. 2008;228:273-80 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge this is the first comprehensive analysis of a protein phosphatase induced during phosphate starvation...
- Karthikeyan A, Ballachanda D, Raghothama K. Promoter deletion analysis elucidates the role of cis elements and 5'UTR intron in spatiotemporal regulation of AtPht1;4 expression in Arabidopsis. Physiol Plant. 2009;136:10-8 pubmed publisher..However, expression of AtPht1;4 in aerial parts of the plant was not influenced by the intron. Together these results suggest that expression of AtPht1;4 in the roots and aerial parts is regulated by independent mechanisms. ..
- Iyer S, HogenEsch H, Hem S. Relationship between the degree of antigen adsorption to aluminum hydroxide adjuvant in interstitial fluid and antibody production. Vaccine. 2003;21:1219-23 pubmed..The results indicated that antigen presenting cells can take up desorbed antigen from interstitial fluid as well as antigen adsorbed to aluminum-containing adjuvants...
- Shi Y, HogenEsch H, Hem S. Change in the degree of adsorption of proteins by aluminum-containing adjuvants following exposure to interstitial fluid: freshly prepared and aged model vaccines. Vaccine. 2001;20:80-5 pubmed..However, only 60% of the ovalbumin adsorbed to aluminum hydroxide adjuvant was eluted during exposure to sheep lymph fluid for 24h after the model vaccine aged for 11 weeks at 4 degrees C. ..