Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cultured tumor cells in Indianapolis, United States
Locale: Indianapolis, United States
Topic: cultured tumor cells
- Konger R, Billings S, Prall N, Katona T, Dasilva S, Kennedy C, et al. The EP1 subtype of prostaglandin E2 receptor: role in keratinocyte differentiation and expression in non-melanoma skin cancer. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2009;81:279-90 pubmed publisher..This data supports a role for the EP1 receptor in regulating keratinocyte differentiation. ..
- Stewart M, Malek K, Xiao Q, Dipple K, Crabb D. The novel aldehyde dehydrogenase gene, ALDH5, encodes an active aldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1995;211:144-51 pubmed..These studies demonstrate the expression of ALDH5 mRNA in a human hepatoma and suggest that the gene product is enzymatically active and probably resides in the mitochondria. ..
- Campbell R, Bhat Nakshatri P, Patel N, Constantinidou D, Ali S, Nakshatri H. Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/AKT-mediated activation of estrogen receptor alpha: a new model for anti-estrogen resistance. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:9817-24 pubmed..Taken together, these results define a molecular link between activation of the PI 3-kinase/AKT survival pathways, hormone-independent activation of ERalpha, and inhibition of tamoxifen-induced apoptotic regression. ..
- Crabb D, Stewart M, Xiao Q. Hormonal and chemical influences on the expression of class 2 aldehyde dehydrogenases in rat H4IIEC3 and human HuH7 hepatoma cells. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1995;19:1414-9 pubmed..These data suggest that low Km ALDH2 can be regulated by hormones and may not be constitutive as previously thought, and that the HuH7 ALDH is regulated differently. ..
- Nagarajan R, Zhang J, Li W, Chen Y. Regulation of Smad7 promoter by direct association with Smad3 and Smad4. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:33412-8 pubmed..Taken together, these data provided the first evidence that Smad7 transcription is regulated by TGF-beta and activin signaling through direct binding of Smad3 and Smad4 to the Smad7 promoter. ..
- Gabig T, Crean C, Klenk A, Long H, Copeland N, Gilbert D, et al. Expression and chromosomal localization of the Requiem gene. Mamm Genome. 1998;9:660-5 pubmed..The gene is located in the proximal region of mouse Chromosome (Chr) 19. In the homologous human region at 11q13, it is located at about 150 kb centromeric from MLK3. ..
- Berczi A, Sizensky J, Crane F, Faulk W. Diferric transferrin reduction by K562 cells. A critical study. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1991;1073:562-70 pubmed..The reduction of ferricyanide is also much slower than activities reported for other cells which may indicate reduced plasma membrane redox activity in these cells. ..
- Antalis C, Arnold T, Rasool T, Lee B, Buhman K, Siddiqui R. High ACAT1 expression in estrogen receptor negative basal-like breast cancer cells is associated with LDL-induced proliferation. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010;122:661-70 pubmed publisher..Differences in lipid uptake and storage capability may at least partially explain the differential effect of a low-fat diet on human breast cancer recurrence. ..
- Kelley M, Cheng L, Foster R, Tritt R, Jiang J, Broshears J, et al. Elevated and altered expression of the multifunctional DNA base excision repair and redox enzyme Ape1/ref-1 in prostate cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2001;7:824-30 pubmed..Given these results, we conclude that Ape1/ref-1 may be a diagnostic marker for early prostate cancer and play a role, through its repair, redox, or both functions, in the physiology of the early development of prostate cancer. ..
- Yang X, Halladay D, Onyia J, Martin T, Chandrasekhar S. Protein Kinase C is a mediator of the synthesis and secretion of osteoprotegerin in osteoblast-like cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;290:42-6 pubmed..These results suggest that activation of the protein kinase C pathway may play a critical role in OPG expression. ..
- Chen F, Ogawa K, Nagarajan R, Zhang M, Kuang C, Chen Y. Regulation of TG-interacting factor by transforming growth factor-beta. Biochem J. 2003;371:257-63 pubmed..Taken together, these experiments indicated that TGIF is a novel transcriptional target of TGF-beta and activin signalling and is likely involved in a negative feedback loop to desensitize TGF-beta/activin action. ..
- Robertson K, Bullock H, Xu Y, Tritt R, Zimmerman E, Ulbright T, et al. Altered expression of Ape1/ref-1 in germ cell tumors and overexpression in NT2 cells confers resistance to bleomycin and radiation. Cancer Res. 2001;61:2220-5 pubmed..To our knowledge, this is the first example of overexpressing Ape1/ref-1 in a mammalian system resulting in enhanced protection to DNA-damaging agents. ..
- Zinda M, Johnson M, Paul J, Horn C, Konicek B, Lu Z, et al. AKT-1, -2, and -3 are expressed in both normal and tumor tissues of the lung, breast, prostate, and colon. Clin Cancer Res. 2001;7:2475-9 pubmed..Our data show that both normal and tumor tissues express all three of the AKT isoforms and indicate that tumorigenesis does not involve a dramatic shift in the RNA expression patterns of the three AKT isoforms. ..
- Shepard R, Cao J, Starling J, Dantzig A. Modulation of P-glycoprotein but not MRP1- or BCRP-mediated drug resistance by LY335979. Int J Cancer. 2003;103:121-5 pubmed..These results further demonstrate that LY335979 is highly specific for Pgp and does not modulate MRP1- or BCRP-mediated resistance and can be used in combination with mitoxantrone and vinorelbine in tumor cells...
- Ma L, Pratt S, Cao J, Dantzig A, Moore R, Slapak C. Identification and characterization of the canine multidrug resistance-associated protein. Mol Cancer Ther. 2002;1:1335-42 pubmed..Knowledge of species differences between canine and human proteins will aid in the design of appropriate pharmacokinetic and toxicokinetic studies for the preclinical evaluation of MRP1 modulators. ..
- Hromas R, Gray P, Chantry D, Godiska R, Krathwohl M, Fife K, et al. Cloning and characterization of exodus, a novel beta-chemokine. Blood. 1997;89:3315-22 pubmed..Exodus also stimulated chemotaxis of peripheral blood mononuclear cells. The sequence homology, expression, and biological activity indicate that Exodus represents a novel divergent beta-chemokine. ..
- Li T, Southall M, Yi Q, Pei Y, Lewis D, Al Hassani M, et al. The epidermal platelet-activating factor receptor augments chemotherapy-induced apoptosis in human carcinoma cell lines. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:16614-21 pubmed..These studies provide evidence for a novel pathway whereby the epidermal PAF-R can augment chemotherapy-induced apoptotic effects through an NF-kappaB-dependent process. ..
- Jiang J, Slivova V, Harvey K, Valachovicova T, Sliva D. Ganoderma lucidum suppresses growth of breast cancer cells through the inhibition of Akt/NF-kappaB signaling. Nutr Cancer. 2004;49:209-16 pubmed..Our results suggest that Ganoderma lucidum inhibits the growth of MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells by modulating Akt/NF-kappaB signaling and could have potential therapeutic use for the treatment of breast cancer...
- You M, Fischer M, Deeg M, Crabb D. Ethanol induces fatty acid synthesis pathways by activation of sterol regulatory element-binding protein (SREBP). J Biol Chem. 2002;277:29342-7 pubmed..These finding suggest that metabolism of ethanol increased hepatic lipogenesis by activating SREBP-1 and that this effect of ethanol may contribute to the development of alcoholic fatty liver. ..
- Fukuda S, Wu D, Stark K, Pelus L. Cloning and characterization of a proliferation-associated cytokine-inducible protein, CIP29. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;292:593-600 pubmed..Overexpression of CIP29-GFP in HEK293 cells enhances cell cycle progression. CIP29 appears to be a new cytokine regulated protein involved in normal and cancer cell proliferation. ..
- Dantzig A, Shepard R, Pratt S, Tabas L, Lander P, Ma L, et al. Evaluation of the binding of the tricyclic isoxazole photoaffinity label LY475776 to multidrug resistance associated protein 1 (MRP1) orthologs and several ATP- binding cassette (ABC) drug transporters. Biochem Pharmacol. 2004;67:1111-21 pubmed..Unlike murine mrp1, both orthologs were photolabeled well by LY475776. These studies indicate that the specificity of LY475776 is fairly limited to Pgp and MRP1 and further studies will help to define the binding regions...
- Jung C, Kim R, Zhang H, Lee S, Sheng H, Loehrer P, et al. HOXB13 is downregulated in colorectal cancer to confer TCF4-mediated transactivation. Br J Cancer. 2005;92:2233-9 pubmed..Our results suggest that loss of HOXB13 may be an important event for colorectal cell transformation, considering that over 90% of colorectal tumours retain mutations in the APC/beta-catenin pathway. ..
- Fukuda S, Singh P, Moh A, Abe M, Conway E, Boswell H, et al. Survivin mediates aberrant hematopoietic progenitor cell proliferation and acute leukemia in mice induced by internal tandem duplication of Flt3. Blood. 2009;114:394-403 pubmed publisher....
- Carney J, McKnight C, VanEpps S, Kelley M. Random rapid amplification of cDNA ends (RRACE) allows for cloning of multiple novel human cDNA fragments containing (CAG)n repeats. Gene. 1995;155:289-92 pubmed..If only a partial sequence of a gene is known, our system, described here, provides a rapid and efficient method for isolating a fragment of the gene of interest. ..
- Rebhun J, Castro A, Quilliam L. Identification of guanine nucleotide exchange factors (GEFs) for the Rap1 GTPase. Regulation of MR-GEF by M-Ras-GTP interaction. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:34901-8 pubmed..In addition, a constitutively active M-Ras(71L) mutant inhibited the ability of MR-GEF to promote Rap1A activation in a dose-dependent manner. These data suggest that M-Ras may inhibit Rap1 in order to elicit its biological effects. ..
- Stewart M, Dipple K, Estonius M, Nakshatri H, Everett L, Crabb D. Binding and activation of the human aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 promoter by hepatocyte nuclear factor 4. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1998;1399:181-6 pubmed..These results suggest that the tissue specificity of ALDH2 expression is in part determined by its activation by HNF-4. ..
- Fong S, Fong W. Elements regulating the transcription of human interstitial retinoid-binding protein (IRBP) gene in cultured retinoblastoma cells. Curr Eye Res. 1999;18:283-91 pubmed....
- Liu J, Heuer J, Na S, Galbreath E, Zhang T, Yang D, et al. Accelerated onset and increased severity of acute graft-versus-host disease following adoptive transfer of DR6-deficient T cells. J Immunol. 2002;169:3993-8 pubmed..The identification and use of DR6 ligands and/or agonistic Abs to DR6 may represent useful therapeutics in the treatment of T cell-mediated diseases such as GVHD. ..
- Lee S, Lee K, Yang X, Jung C, Gardner T, Kim H, et al. NFATc1 with AP-3 site binding specificity mediates gene expression of prostate-specific-membrane-antigen. J Mol Biol. 2003;330:749-60 pubmed..Furthermore, ionomycin (calcium ionophore) and TPA augmented the enhancer activity of PSME, implying that calcium is an important regulator for PSMA expression in prostate cancer cell. ..
- Klemsz M, Hromas R, Raskind W, Bruno E, Hoffman R. PE-1, a novel ETS oncogene family member, localizes to chromosome 1q21-q23. Genomics. 1994;20:291-4 pubmed..8-kb transcript observed. PE-1 was the most common ETS domain gene found in CD34+HLA-DR- hematopoietic progenitors. PE-1 was localized to human chromosome 1q21-q23 using both in situ chromosomal hybridization and human-hamster hybrids. ..
- Krishnan V, Moore T, Ma Y, Helvering L, Frolik C, Valasek K, et al. Parathyroid hormone bone anabolic action requires Cbfa1/Runx2-dependent signaling. Mol Endocrinol. 2003;17:423-35 pubmed..These findings suggest a requirement for Cbfa1 in mediating the anabolic effects of PTH. Thus, regulation of Cbfa1 expression or activity is an important mechanism by which PTH controls osteoblast function. ..
- Reed G, Kirchner J, Carr L. NF-Y activates mouse tryptophan hydroxylase transcription. Brain Res. 1995;682:1-12 pubmed..Our results suggest that the transcription factor NF-Y binds to a GGCCAAT motif in the tph proximal promoter and activates transcription. ..
- Shah R, Alvarez M, Jones D, Torrungruang K, Watt A, Selvamurugan N, et al. Nmp4/CIZ regulation of matrix metalloproteinase 13 (MMP-13) response to parathyroid hormone in osteoblasts. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2004;287:E289-96 pubmed....
- You M, Fischer M, Cho W, Crabb D. Transcriptional control of the human aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 promoter by hepatocyte nuclear factor 4: inhibition by cyclic AMP and COUP transcription factors. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2002;398:79-86 pubmed..These data suggest that ALDH2 expression can be suppressed by cAMP, most likely through phosphorylation of HNF4 by PKA, and this may account for the reduction in enzyme protein during fasting. ..
- Lin Z, Edenberg H, Carr L. A novel negative element in the promoter of the mouse alcohol dehydrogenase gene Adh-1. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:10260-7 pubmed..Thus, we have identified a negative regulatory element within the Adh-1 promoter. No homology was found between this negative element and other regulatory elements, suggesting that this is a novel negative element. ..
- Dantzig A, Hoskins J, Tabas L, Bright S, Shepard R, Jenkins I, et al. Association of intestinal peptide transport with a protein related to the cadherin superfamily. Science. 1994;264:430-3 pubmed....
- Long X, Gize E, Nephew K, Bigsby R. Evidence for estrogenic contamination of the MAPK inhibitor PD98059. Endocrinology. 2001;142:5390-3 pubmed..Thus, when PD98059 is used in estrogen-responsive cells, contaminating estrogenic activity may confound interpretation of experimental results. ..
- Morris T, Fong W, Ward M, Hu H, Fong S. Localization of upstream silencer elements involved in the expression of cone transducin alpha-subunit (GNAT2). Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 1997;38:196-206 pubmed..The silencer region interacts with similar proteins from retina- and nonretina-derived cell lines. ..
- Shao J, Sheng H. Prostaglandin E2 induces the expression of IL-1alpha in colon cancer cells. J Immunol. 2007;178:4097-103 pubmed..Thus, our results suggest that PGE(2) induces the expression of proinflammatory cytokine IL-1alpha, which may potentially enhance the proneoplastic actions of the cyclooxygenase-2/PGE(2) signaling pathway. ..
- Zhou Z, Kim S, Hurtado J, Lee Z, Kim K, Pollok K, et al. Characterization of human homologue of 4-1BB and its ligand. Immunol Lett. 1995;45:67-73 pubmed..Daudi, a B-cell lymphoma, was one of the B-cell lines that carried a higher number of ligands. Scatchard analysis showed that the Kd = 1.4 x 10(9) M and the number of ligands in Daudi cell was 4.2 x 10(3). ..
- Lin Chua H, Brahmi Z. Expression of p58.2 or CD94/NKG2A inhibitory receptors in an NK-like cell line, YTINDY, leads to HLA Class I-mediated inhibition of cytotoxicity in the p58.2- but not the CD94/NKG2A-expressing transfectant. Cell Immunol. 2002;219:57-70 pubmed..In addition, the possible expression of CD94/NKG2C activating receptor may override inhibitory signals transduced through CD94/NKG2A. ..
- Mayo L, Dixon J, Durden D, Tonks N, Donner D. PTEN protects p53 from Mdm2 and sensitizes cancer cells to chemotherapy. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:5484-9 pubmed..p53 induces PTEN gene expression, and here it is shown that PTEN protects p53, indicating that a positive feedback loop may amplify the cellular response to stress, damage, and cancer. ..
- Kaiser E, Sato M, Onyia J, Chandrasekhar S. Parathyroid hormone (1-34) regulates integrin expression in vivo in rat osteoblasts. J Cell Biochem. 2001;83:617-30 pubmed....
- Helbig G, Christopherson K, Bhat Nakshatri P, Kumar S, Kishimoto H, Miller K, et al. NF-kappaB promotes breast cancer cell migration and metastasis by inducing the expression of the chemokine receptor CXCR4. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:21631-8 pubmed..Taken together, these results implicate NF-kappaB in the migration and the organ-specific homing of metastatic breast cancer cells. ..
- Kwiatkowski A, McGill J. Alternative splice variant of gamma-calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II alters activation by calmodulin. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2000;378:377-83 pubmed..This altered threshold of activation may modulate cellular responses to gradients of Ca(2+)/calmodulin in the biliary tract. ..
- Yu M, Edenberg H. Structure and function of a long alternating purine-pyrimidine sequence in the mouse alcohol dehydrogenase Adh-1 gene. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1995;316:407-12 pubmed..Nuclear run-on experiments showed that the differential expression of Adh-1 from high- and low-activity strains is, however, controlled at the post-transcription level. ..
- Payner T, Leaver H, Knapp B, Whittle I, Trifan O, Miller S, et al. Microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 regulates human glioma cell growth via prostaglandin E(2)-dependent activation of type II protein kinase A. Mol Cancer Ther. 2006;5:1817-26 pubmed..Taken together, these results are consistent with the hypothesis that mPGES-1 plays a critical role in promoting astroglioma cell growth via PGE(2)-dependent activation of type II PKA. ..
- Pincheira R, Chen Q, Zhang J. Identification of a 170-kDa protein over-expressed in lung cancers. Br J Cancer. 2001;84:1520-7 pubmed..g. bone marrow) and tissues during development (e.g. fetal tissues). This study suggests that p170 and eIF3 may be important factors for cell growth, development, and tumorigenesis. ..
- Liangpunsakul S, Wou S, Zeng Y, Ross R, Jayaram H, Crabb D. Effect of ethanol on hydrogen peroxide-induced AMPK phosphorylation. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2008;295:G1173-81 pubmed publisher..The inhibitory effect of ethanol on AMPK phosphorylation is exerted through the inhibition of PKC-zeta and LKB1 phosphorylation and the activation of PP2A...
- Li M, Edenberg H. Function of cis-acting elements in human alcohol dehydrogenase 4 (ADH4) promoter and role of C/EBP proteins in gene expression. DNA Cell Biol. 1998;17:387-97 pubmed..This mutation had a stronger effect in the context of a longer promoter, suggesting interaction among cis-acting elements. ..
- Mark R, Fuson K, Keane Lazar K, May P. Fibroblast growth factor-8 protects cultured rat hippocampal neurons from oxidative insult. Brain Res. 1999;830:88-93 pubmed..From these studies, we conclude that FGF-8b is another member of the FGF family which may show in vivo efficacy for the treatment of oxidative insults, such as stroke. ..
- Bettoun D, Buck D, Lu J, Khalifa B, Chin W, Nagpal S. A vitamin D receptor-Ser/Thr phosphatase-p70 S6 kinase complex and modulation of its enzymatic activities by the ligand. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:24847-50 pubmed..Since p70(S6k) is essential for G(1)-S transition, our results provide a molecular basis of 1alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3)-induced G(1) block in colon cancer cells. ..
- Haque M, Li P, Jackson S, Zarour H, Hawes J, Phan U, et al. Absence of gamma-interferon-inducible lysosomal thiol reductase in melanomas disrupts T cell recognition of select immunodominant epitopes. J Exp Med. 2002;195:1267-77 pubmed..Such disparities in the profile of antigenic epitopes displayed by tumors and bystander APCs may contribute to tumor cell survival in the face of immunological defenses. ..
- Nakshatri H, Mendonca M, Bhat Nakshatri P, Patel N, Goulet R, Cornetta K. The orphan receptor COUP-TFII regulates G2/M progression of breast cancer cells by modulating the expression/activity of p21(WAF1/CIP1), cyclin D1, and cdk2. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;270:1144-53 pubmed..Furthermore, these results reveal an important physiological function of COUP-TFII, which correlates with its ability to induce gene expression rather than modulation of nuclear receptor activity. ..
- Sharma R, Mohammed K, Nasreen N, Hardwick J, Van Horn R, Ramirez Icaza C, et al. Defensive role of pleural mesothelial cell sialomucins in tumor metastasis. Chest. 2003;124:682-7 pubmed..HTB-77 cells also express sialidase, which by its action on the monolayer aids in the adherence of tumor cells to the pleural surface. ..
- Liang Y, Carr L. Identification of an octamer-1 transcription factor binding site in the promoter of the mouse mu-opioid receptor gene. J Neurochem. 1996;67:1352-9 pubmed..Collectively, these data suggest that Oct-1 is binding to the octamer motif in the MOR gene and negatively modulating MOR gene expression. ..
- Burke Y, Ayoubi A, Werner S, McFarland B, Heilman D, Ruggeri B, et al. Effects of the isoprenoids perillyl alcohol and farnesol on apoptosis biomarkers in pancreatic cancer chemoprevention. Anticancer Res. 2002;22:3127-34 pubmed..05), and somewhat higher apoptotic rates, diminished expression of the antiapoptotic protein BCL-XL, and lower rates of DNA synthesis than the controls...